PDA

View Full Version : Bands in the playoffs?

crunifan
November 26th, 2006, 12:55 AM
Last year when UNI was in the playoffs, our first game was against Eastern Washington in the dome. And at the game, we were told we weren't allowed to have our band play or perform halftime or have our commentatory show too much bias. Basically, we weren't aloud to do the "And that's another Panther...FIRST DOWN" chant.

But, after watching the Youngstown State vs. James Madison game, and reading several posts they bands were allowed. And I'm not sure about the announcer.

So, does anyone know if this is a change in the rules or what? :confused:

FlyYtown
November 26th, 2006, 12:59 AM
Last year when UNI was in the playoffs, our first game was against Eastern Washington in the dome. And at the game, we were told we weren't allowed to have our band play or perform halftime or have our commentatory show too much bias. Basically, we weren't aloud to do the "And that's another Panther...FIRST DOWN" chant.

But, after watching the Youngstown State vs. James Madison game, and reading several posts they bands were allowed. And I'm not sure about the announcer.

So, does anyone know if this is a change in the rules or what? :confused:
Only YSU's band played at half----thank God.. The JMU band was disrespectful all game long, the only time they stopped playing was when a JMU player went down.... They even had the audacity to play during our Alma Mater...

crunifan
November 26th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Only YSU's band played at half----thank God.. The JMU band was disrespectful all game long, the only time they stopped playing was when a JMU player went down.... They even had the audacity to play during our Alma Mater...

WOW. I'm sorry, but if another school ever did that to UNI I would be absolutely furious! I'm speechless, that is just unacceptable. :eek: : smh : :eek: : smh :

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 01:08 AM
the griz band did its normal routine at halftime. but our announcer couldnt show bias. usually he gives a hearty FIIIRSSTTT DOOOWWNNN (and then the crowd comes in) MOOONNTANNAA. but this week he was only allowed to give a simple first down and then the crowd would yell MONTANA

OSUPenguin
November 26th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Another think I noticed about being "biased". For YSU games, they usually only set off fireworks for YSU TDs, but they set off fireworks for both JMU and YSU TDs tonight. Really irked me, but not as much as the JMU band and their fans with their yellow streamers.

GO PENGUINS!

GRZZ
November 26th, 2006, 01:18 AM
The NCAA pretty much took over our jumbotron. There was the kiss cam, but none of the other usual stuff and there was lots of NCAA logos and trivia.

TexasTerror
November 26th, 2006, 06:48 AM
the griz band did its normal routine at halftime. but our announcer couldnt show bias. usually he gives a hearty FIIIRSSTTT DOOOWWNNN (and then the crowd comes in) MOOONNTANNAA. but this week he was only allowed to give a simple first down and then the crowd would yell MONTANA

Any cannons? :eyebrow:

ISUMatt
November 26th, 2006, 07:15 AM
The EIU announcer seemed to show a bias for EIU...He used his 1st DOWN Panthers all 7 times (:)) and was about to fall out of the booth when EIU intercepted the pass and scored...What I thought was bad was the refs lets the EIU band take over the field and the coin toss happened at the 30 yard line not the 50 cuz of the band...But both bands were good, only EIU played at halftime, and if it werent for EIUs band, that side of the stadium would have been quiet MOST of the game

UNH_BLUE
November 26th, 2006, 07:32 AM
I was listening to the UNH/Hampton game on the radio and the announcers said that UNH's AD asked Hampton officials to quiet their band. They were too loud and obnoxious.

Speaking of obnoxious, that Hampton PA announcer was the most annoying I ever heard. Worse than most minor league baseball PA announcers.

Saint3333
November 26th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I saw where YSU had fireworks after a TD and fired a cannon after each score.

ASU was not allowed to fire their musket after score or use the third down bell.

We had to put together a CCU entrance clip so we could perform our typical entrance.

I don't like the "home field" rules mandated by the NCAA. I think the teams that have "earned" (I have a problem with this too) a home game have the right to continue regular season traditions.

Another improvement to the playoffs would be to seed the top 8 teams then regionalization if we must. I don't believe in buying a home game (yes I know this could help ASU some years, but it isn't fair to programs that can't or choose not to put to high bids). JMU deserved a home game against a lower ranked team, how many more years if the NCAA going to screw a top ranked team...

mcveyrl
November 26th, 2006, 09:53 AM
I agree. What's the point of awarding home games if you're going to try and "neutralize" the site. First of all, it's impossible because of the home fans and second, it's a HOME game for one team, make it like that for them.

redbirdtim
November 26th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Personally, I was glad that both ISUs band and EIUs band co-existed quite nicely. Funny to hear EIU play the same song right after we would. I know that both bands had a nice little show for each other after the game, and there was a lot of respect there. I didn't mind the Panthers announcer being a bit of a homer because I really didn't pay attention to him. Give credit to the ISU band though, best I have ever, ever heard them cheering. I wish we could take them to YSU, but I don't think they're making another trip unless it's to Chatanooga. Not once though could I hear the band making derogatory remarks, but again, that could be a lack of paying attention to that and focusing on the game.

Honestly though, after hearing what YSU fans were saying on the mics last night; I don't think there's much room to complain about JMUs band. Every hometeam is going to have fans that say mean, "audacious" things...it's part of football.

Tribe4SF
November 26th, 2006, 10:00 AM
I was listening to the UNH/Hampton game on the radio and the announcers said that UNH's AD asked Hampton officials to quiet their band. They were too loud and obnoxious.

Speaking of obnoxious, that Hampton PA announcer was the most annoying I ever heard. Worse than most minor league baseball PA announcers.

One man's "obnoxious" is another's "beautiful tradition". That's "The Reverend", and I can't imagine being at Armstrong and not hearing "MOVE THOSE CHAINS!.......FIRST DOWN!.......PIRATES!", or "LET'S HEAR SOME THIRD DOWN NOOOOIIIIISSSE!". As I posted a few days ago, the only annoyances for visitors at Armstrong are long concession lines, and "The Reverand". The HU Band was awesome, as always, and while they stretched it a few times, they toned down when UNH came out of the huddle. In addition to playing, they cheer the entire game. Boundless energy, and great music.

griz37
November 26th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Any cannons? :eyebrow:

Yes we had the cannon & just like Sam Houston, all the McNeese players managed to avoid crashing into it.

arranger101
November 26th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Obviously your AD doesn't TRUELY know the meaning of the statement "home field advantage" ! You can't come in to someone else's house and start redecorating. If he had a problem with the band then he should not have gone to the game. This is the problem with I-AA football now. If you take away from the TRUE game experience(rowdy fans, loud and obnoxious bandsxidiotx , tailgating, etc.) is it truely something that you will pay money to attend and also expect to have a good time?

Now the announcer, I have no comments for that! Some people have skills, then some don't!:D

GreatAppSt
November 26th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I heard a third down gong during the YSU JMU game several times on TV, it was in use no question.:nod: :nod:

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 26th, 2006, 12:11 PM
We are picking on the bands now................give me a break.......

G.S.Green
November 26th, 2006, 04:37 PM
Obviously your AD doesn't TRUELY know the meaning of the statement "home field advantage" ! You can't come in to someone else's house and start redecorating. If he had a problem with the band then he should not have gone to the game. This is the problem with I-AA football now. If you take away from the TRUE game experience(rowdy fans, loud and obnoxious bandsxidiotx , tailgating, etc.) is it truely something that you will pay money to attend and also expect to have a good time?

Now the announcer, I have no comments for that! Some people have skills, then some don't!:D

Too true!!! How are you going to hush the Marching Force?!?!?!?!?!?!:bang:

HiHiYikas
November 26th, 2006, 05:10 PM
I heard a third down gong during the YSU JMU game several times on TV, it was in use no question.:nod: :nod:
And the Kernkraft song, over and over and over and over and over.

Prolonged exposure to electronica has a negative effect on brainpower, mobility and hand-eye-coordination - it's science. YSU didn't beat JMU last night, Zombie Nation did.

I am a little surprised if YSU can fire a cannon and play Hell's Bells, and ASU couldn't fire the musket or play the bells. Geeze, throw in the sound effects and it's ASU 72, CCU 3.

:smiley_wi

BDK@YSU
November 26th, 2006, 05:47 PM
And the Kernkraft song, over and over and over and over and over.

Prolonged exposure to electronica has a negative effect on brainpower, mobility and hand-eye-coordination - it's science. YSU didn't beat JMU last night, Zombie Nation did.

:smiley_wi

oOOOo ooo oOOoOo ooooo o O o O

I... can't get it out of my head. You know, I'm sitting here trying to write a paper and then out of nowhere all I can think of is:

Zombie

Zombie

Zombie nation

Make it stop before I have to claw my brain out with a spork...

:hyped:

castoff
November 27th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Actually, the JMU band started long before the alma-mater. When the YSU drum-line came on the field for pre-game, the JMU band began playing their fight song at about the same time the YSU drumline began their cadence to bring their band on the field. Totally classless!

howvan
November 27th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Gong? What gong? At typical YSU home games when we're on defense, they'll play the intro to "Hell's Bells" before the third down play.

Also, only YSU's band performed at halftime b/c JMU only brought a pep band. I remember back in 1999 NCA&T brought their band to YSU and both bands performed at halftime. What a thrill for the crowd. I don't know if the rules have changed since then. I would hope not, since it's great for the fans to hear other schools' bands.

BillLuc1982
November 27th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Agree, JMU has one of the best bands in the CS.

Dukie95
November 27th, 2006, 09:43 AM
They even had the audacity to play during our Alma Mater...

As I explained in another thread here and on the CAAZone when you made this accusation...that WAS NOT THE BAND.

Unfortunately, we had a group of disrespectful fans that decided to sing our alma mater at that time, but the band certianly wasn't playing then.

I have apologized for the actions of our fans, and you can take it or leave it but please stop smearing our band over that.

Some of our fans even started chanting "High School Band" when your band took the field until the band members turned around and told us to stop. Our band would NOT and did NOT play over your band during the performance of your alma mater.

Dukie95
November 27th, 2006, 09:51 AM
To answer the original question...

http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2006/2006_d1_football_handbook.pdf

Band members who are in uniform and performing at the championship will not be charged admission to the competition. Bands, or any component thereof, are allowed to play during timeouts, between games, and before and after the competition.

The sponsoring agency must reserve six minutes of the halftime entertainment time for each competing team’s band. The sponsoring agency will be allowed six minutes for entertainment purposes.

If a competing team’s band is not available, the time reserved for that band may be used by the sponsoring agency. The competing institutions must inform the sponsoring agency not later than noon Wednesday before the game if their bands will be available to perform during the intermission.

castoff
November 27th, 2006, 10:45 AM
As I explained in another thread here and on the CAAZone when you made this accusation...that WAS NOT THE BAND.

Unfortunately, we had a group of disrespectful fans that decided to sing our alma mater at that time, but the band certianly wasn't playing then.

I have apologized for the actions of our fans, and you can take it or leave it but please stop smearing our band over that.

Some of our fans even started chanting "High School Band" when your band took the field until the band members turned around and told us to stop. Our band would NOT and did NOT play over your band during the performance of your alma mater.

Dukie: You DID NOT address your band playing your fight song when the YSU drum line was beginning their cadence to bring the band on the field.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 27th, 2006, 11:01 AM
Dukie: You DID NOT address your band playing your fight song when the YSU drum line was beginning their cadence to bring the band on the field.

That was a mistake because our team had just left the field. We saw them leave and started the fight song. when it was over we stopped. The other accusations are just false, we did not play during other inappropriate times, if you don't like the fact that we were spirited... too bad... thats the way it is with good supporting programs. In fact we did less playing than we normally do.
Don't get all uptight... I'm not going to say anthing about the NCAA rule stating that student section ticketing must be at least 10 rows back from the field if they are located behind the opposing team's bench unless there is a track... The game is over, let it be.

bluehenbillk
November 27th, 2006, 11:03 AM
Bottom line: JMU's band lost the game, they lose by 4 & as every JMU poster will tell you, their band is worth 7 points. xlolx Should've brought the whole band. xlolx

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 27th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Bottom line: JMU's band lost the game, they lose by 4 & as every JMU poster will tell you, their band is worth 7 points. xlolx Should've brought the whole band. xlolx

HA!! DAMN STRAIT!!! I even called that one in my score prediction that we'd only get 3 out of the band. xlolx xlolx

castoff
November 27th, 2006, 11:22 AM
That was a mistake because our team had just left the field. We saw them leave and started the fight song. when it was over we stopped. The other accusations are just false, we did not play during other inappropriate times, if you don't like the fact that we were spirited... too bad... thats the way it is with good supporting programs. In fact we did less playing than we normally do.
Don't get all uptight... I'm not going to say anthing about the NCAA rule stating that student section ticketing must be at least 10 rows back from the field if they are located behind the opposing team's bench unless there is a track... The game is over, let it be.

I must say the JMU band was one of the best I have ever heard (and, if that was only a pep band, I would like to hear your full band sound. However, I will stick to my opening post. Your antics and respect for your fellow musicians is totally classeless.

And, it has nothing to do with being spirited. It has more to do with rudeness than anything else. PS there is sufficient room in our stadium from where our students sit to the opposing team's bench or I'm sure the NCAA would have addressed that a long time ago. After all, YSU has hosted 14 home playoff games

Let me tell you what happened with this game. The NCAA matched up two of the best teams in the country in the first round. JMU did not deserve an away game. Unfortunately, it happened and many of the JMU fans came to YSU with a "chip" on their shoulder about the draw. You took your frustrations out on us (with your terrible attitude) instead of the selection committee.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM
I must say the JMU band was one of the best I have ever heard (and, if that was only a pep band, I would like to hear your full band sound. However, I will stick to my opening post. Your antics and respect for your fellow musicians is totally classeless.

And, it has nothing to do with being spirited. It has more to do with rudeness than anything else. PS there is sufficient room in our stadium from where our students sit to the opposing team's bench or I'm sure the NCAA would have addressed that a long time ago. After all, YSU has hosted 14 home playoff games

Let me tell you what happened with this game. The NCAA matched up two of the best teams in the country in the first round. JMU did not deserve an away game. Unfortunately, it happened and many of the JMU fans came to YSU with a "chip" on their shoulder about the draw. You took your frustrations out on us (with your terrible attitude) instead of the selection committee.

What antics? We played the fight song when our team left the field... Its normal to do that, but I admitted the timing was bad... Nothing else was disrespectful or inappropriate.

I'm just really put off by the fact that I'm being accused of being part of a group that is being labeled as disrespectful when I saw nothing of the such.

pennyguin2005
November 27th, 2006, 01:01 PM
JMU- Would the band play while The Ohio State band or the Michigan band takes the field.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 27th, 2006, 02:08 PM
JMU- Would the band play while The Ohio State band or the Michigan band takes the field.

I said it was a mistake, and if we were playing them and our team went off the field while nothing was happening we would start the fight song, if their band came onto the field we would finish the fight song and watch... just like what happened there... IT WAS A MISTAKE! Not a disrespect! I'm looking for any other "antics" that were so "disrespectful"

OSUPenguin
November 27th, 2006, 03:41 PM
JMU_MRD'03-'07,
Just wanted to comend you on your band. No doubt the best I-AA/FCS marching band I've seen and one the best bands I've ever heard, and I've been around many great bands. Great sound and it was only a "pep" band :nod: . I also noticed you won the Sudler Trophy about 10 years ago. Quite an accomplishment for not being on a national stage like the bigger schools. I only wish YSU's band could become better :nonono2:

howvan
November 27th, 2006, 03:52 PM
I must say the JMU band was one of the best I have ever heard (and, if that was only a pep band, I would like to hear your full band sound.

Agreed. As a former YSU MP member, I can say that JMU's "pep" band sounded great; nice choice of instrumentation to bring. I was hoping that the whole MRD would come, and maybe if this was the quarterfinals, they would have? Great sound.

Objectively, I will say that the MRD drum major did not cut the band off immediately after seeing the YSU drumline start the pregame show. Fortunately, they finished before the entire band took to the field. Beyond that, I do not think that the MRD did anything inappropriate beyond playing loudly any time that they could, which is what a good band should do anway.

howvan
November 27th, 2006, 03:54 PM
JMU_MRD'03-'07,
Just wanted to comend you on your band. No doubt the best I-AA/FCS marching band I've seen and one the best bands I've ever heard, and I've been around many great bands. Great sound and it was only a "pep" band :nod: . I also noticed you won the Sudler Trophy about 10 years ago. Quite an accomplishment for not being on a national stage like the bigger schools. I only wish YSU's band could become better :nonono2:
The new director, Dr. Chris Heidenreich, has turned the MP around in less than a year. The interim director they had the past two years also did a very good job of changing the direction of the program. But I can see the difference that Dr. Heidenreich has made. It's very encouraging.

Alas, I can remember when I was first in the MP it was close to 200. How it's dropped is a long story for another day.

HIU 93
November 28th, 2006, 01:06 PM

1. The Force is loud, but not obnoxious.
2. It's called tradition. "Move the chains" is ours, I'm sure you have yours.

3. The UNH Head Coach actually asked the Referree to ask the band to not play during game action. That was fine, but then he asked the band not to play during the pre-game warm up. That is a little ridiculous. The NCAA has these weird rules about bands in the playoffs that make little, if any, sense.

Cocky
November 28th, 2006, 02:48 PM
I believe JSU has taken the Southerners to every I-AA (before CS) playoff game.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 28th, 2006, 09:43 PM
JMU has an awesome band.....too bad less than half went to the game on Saturday. In 2004 the entire band went to Chatty and the atmosphere was electric.

I've been to every home game and a few away games the last three years and band stops playing when play starts. It's not going to be a perfect situation every time...........

guinpen1
November 28th, 2006, 10:32 PM

I know for sure the song YSU uses on third downs is not Hells Bells. It is another AC/DC song, but for sure it is not Hells Bells.

YSU seemed to do everything the same (video board, music) as they would for a regular home game.

Peems
November 28th, 2006, 10:39 PM
I know for sure the song YSU uses on third downs is not Hells Bells. It is another AC/DC song, but for sure it is not Hells Bells.

YSU seemed to do everything the same (video board, music) as they would for a regular home game.

im not sure the name of our third down song but it goes like this "raise a little hell raise a little hell raise a little hell"

guinpen1
November 28th, 2006, 11:04 PM
im not sure the name of our third down song but it goes like this "raise a little hell raise a little hell raise a little hell"
"Hair of the Dog" by Nazarith I believe.

arranger101
November 29th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again....A BAND BOARD NEEDS TO BE ADDED TO THIS SITE! I am truely shocked at this topic turning into 5+ pages! Someone...MODS, please add a band board!!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

bunny
November 29th, 2006, 12:49 PM
At the MSU/Furman game there were about a dozen members of the Bobcat band in the stands. They played "We Want the Funk" a few times in the first half, but they were pretty quiet the rest of the game. Maybe their instruments froze up?

We went out to get an extra blanket at halftime, but I don't think that they performed at the intermission.

Also, the PA announcer did start the "First down...." "Bobcats!" <growl!> cheer for the home team.

mcveyrl
November 29th, 2006, 03:13 PM
I seem to remember that in the 2004 NC game the PA announcer was "partial" to both schools. On every first down, it was either "First Down...Grizzzz" or "First Down...Duuuuukes"

Peems
November 29th, 2006, 08:27 PM
At the MSU/Furman game there were about a dozen members of the Bobcat band in the stands. They played "We Want the Funk" a few times in the first half, but they were pretty quiet the rest of the game. Maybe their instruments froze up?

We went out to get an extra blanket at halftime, but I don't think that they performed at the intermission.

Also, the PA announcer did start the "First down...." "Bobcats!" <growl!> cheer for the home team.

that bobcat growl still makes me sick.:(

CoastalFan2005
November 29th, 2006, 08:30 PM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again....A BAND BOARD NEEDS TO BE ADDED TO THIS SITE! I am truely shocked at this topic turning into 5+ pages! Someone...MODS, please add a band board!!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod:

I'd agree with that. :nod:

SU Jag
November 30th, 2006, 09:49 AM

I agree, the bands are a big part of college football! They're even a bigger part for the HBCUs!:nod: We need a board!

napkinn
November 30th, 2006, 10:39 AM

Or the UMass band. There's another big-time band school that I'm surprised no one really mentioned.

FuturePenguin
November 30th, 2006, 06:08 PM

I always just assumed it was hells bells, or maybe even for whom the bell tolls. good question.

ASUMountaineer
November 30th, 2006, 08:32 PM
I always just assumed it was hells bells, or maybe even for whom the bell tolls. good question.

I am not sure what North Carolina's Band of Distinction plays on third down, usually because I'm too busy making my own noise I can't hear them (and I sit behind them)--maybe I just have a big mouth.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 30th, 2006, 08:52 PM
We are picking on the bands now................give me a break.......

YES, here we go ....... again! Maybe we should start a thread on the "Most Politically Correct" bands & announcers or maybe, the "Most Boring". The reality is we should be thankful that so many great college kids love to play and are willing to practice, practice, practice, ... to be able to entertain and excite us all at games, ..... Thank God we have them.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 1st, 2006, 05:39 PM
JMU_MRD'03-'07,
First of all, good luck in the next round.

Yes, you only got to see the pep band....not even half. A home game for us would have been mandatory, but a road game was only a pep band.

I'm surprise other schools haven't bought their bands to JMU for games, but I'm sure the cost is one reason. JMU usually only travels to one away game per year and this year was Richmond....and then the MRD's were treated very badly by the Richmond folks...but that's another story.

Good luck to your band program.

JMU is the place to go for music in the state of Virginia and music majors must march for at least two years. I'm not sure if there is a maximum number JMU marches, but I have seen band students in uniform on the sidelines during performances.....

BrevardMountaineer03
December 1st, 2006, 08:23 PM
ASU was not allowed to fire their musket after score or use the third down bell.

We had to put together a CCU entrance clip so we could perform our typical entrance.

Another improvement to the playoffs would be to seed the top 8 teams then regionalization if we must. I don't believe in buying a home game (yes I know this could help ASU some years, but it isn't fair to programs that can't or choose not to put to high bids). JMU deserved a home game against a lower ranked team, how many more years if the NCAA going to screw a top ranked team...

You don't see in any other (Non NCAA) sports where a home team can't use their 'signature' celebrations. That is part of the home field atmosphere.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 1st, 2006, 08:28 PM
YES, here we go ....... again! Maybe we should start a thread on the "Most Politically Correct" bands & announcers or maybe, the "Most Boring". The reality is we should be thankful that so many great college kids love to play and are willing to practice, practice, practice, ... to be able to entertain and excite us all at games, ..... Thank God we have them.

I have to agree...Richie Williams also thanked the band during the Post Game interview after the Championship game. So Thank You to the bands.

PS:I don't think it's cool to heckle opposing team's band, they have nothing to do with it...The opposing players, that's a different story!:rotateh: :nod: