PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk State Quarterback Leaves Team

superman7515
August 7th, 2015, 11:57 PM
http://hamptonroads.com/2015/08/norfolk-state-university-quarterback-ervin-leaves-team

On the eve of Norfolk State's first fall football practice, the Spartans' seemingly well-defined quarterback situation took an unexpected turn when the school announced Thursday that incumbent starter Terrance Ervin was leaving the program.

Ervin, who started nine games last season as a true freshman, cited "personal reasons" for the departure, the school announced.

Florida Atlantic transfer Greg Hankerson, a junior with two years of eligibility, will open camp as the starter, first-year coach Latrell Scott said.

Scott, whose team will hold its first practice this afternoon, was adamant that Ervin's departure was not disciplinary or related to behavioral issues. The 19-year-old Ervin, he said, simply needs some time away.

"He's just got some things going on in his family that he feels like he needs to work out. That's pretty much it," Scott said in a phone interview, adding that he would welcome Ervin back into the program in the future.

"He said he felt terrible about it, but he said, 'Coach, I can't give you guys everything that the program deserves if I've got some personal things going on.' "...

ursus arctos horribilis
August 8th, 2015, 12:03 AM
Wow, that's a tough situation all around it appears. Hope it all works out well for the kid.

Big Dawg
August 8th, 2015, 03:32 AM
Lucky for the Spartans that they picked up a transfer QB out of FAU

caribbeanhen
August 8th, 2015, 07:18 AM
"He said he felt terrible about it, but he said, 'Coach, I can't give you guys everything that the program deserves if I've got some personal things going on.' "...

thats a pretty clever way for a 19 year old to come across, hopefully he just needs to go say bye to an old girlfriend and will be back soon

paward
August 8th, 2015, 11:51 AM
Wow, that coaching staff is full of former Spider coaches. I have been following them. I wish the young man and team all the best. Bad timing.........

PAllen
August 8th, 2015, 02:09 PM
I hope that everything works out for the young man.

That said, I'm a bit skeptical. It sounds like a grey shirt/extra red shirt thing to me. He played as a true freshman, so hasn't used his red shirt yet. Coach transfers in a player with 2 yrs of eligibility left. Petition for a hardship waiver for one year, use the red shirt for the other. Back to starting for three more years once the transfer is gone. The real question is: were either one of them any good as starting QBs.

superman7515
August 8th, 2015, 02:18 PM
The transfer QB was well behind the QB that is leaving. I don't think this was an extra redshirt situation, he had the starting job locked up, and it wasn't close.

Go...gate
August 8th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Let's face it. Every family has its moments of challenge. Someone could be ill, parents could be breaking up, who knows?