PDA

View Full Version : Illinois State @ Youngstown State

redbirdtim
November 25th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Starting my first thread...

Illinois State @ Youngstown State...discuss!

Mountain Panther
November 25th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Well, UNI beat them both in the regular season....yes I'm still bitter about not making the playoffs! :nonono2:

I AM happy that YSU and IlSt advanced! :hurray:

redbirdtim
November 25th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Mountain, I know this won't ease the pain, but I was supporting UNI to make the playoffs. Maybe if you let the committee know before the game that you would be willing to spend lots of $$$, that may add a few points to your application.

As for this game, some keys...

For the 'Birds...
1.) Drone-if he plays like he has the past few weeks, the 'Birds will have .001 chance of winning. He has to limit his mistakes. Last time we played YSU, he couldn't even hit wide open passes.
2.) ISU run defense. Did a great job at EIU today, can they keep it up against Mason and stop him this time.
3.) ISU secondary, today's game has to be a confidence booster for them, can it carry over?
4.) Rembert-cannot get shut down like he did last time. Need some big yards out of him.

For the 'Guins...
1.) Zetts running the ball, it got the 'Birds big last time and salted the game away.
2.) Mason-is he healthy? ISU couldn't stop him before, make the 'Birds try to stop him.
3.) Deep passes-Attack the 'Birds secondary.
4.) Stunt the line and force the 'Birds to pass. Drone is struggling mightily, so you have to make him make plays.

FlyYtown
November 25th, 2006, 11:44 PM
I will try to just take this whole experience in from tonight.. That was amazing... It will be packed next week!

Aren't all of next Saturday's games on ESPN?

birdsflyhigh
November 26th, 2006, 03:50 AM
ISU played hands-down their WORST game of the season against YSU.
Contrary to what almost everyone is picking, I'm going with the Birds in revenge mode against the Penguins. It's imperitive though that ISU QB Luke Drone clean up his game and get back on track.

The future looks bright for the Redbird program with just 13 seniors total on the team's roster. YSU, on the other hand, had better do it this season because they're losing a HUGE portion of this team next season.

Flytown seems to be really full of himself about YSU's win in Normal, so a Redbird win in Youngstown will be particularly sweet!! :nod:

FlyYtown
November 26th, 2006, 02:05 PM
GAMETIME:
6:00PM
Youngstown - Following Saturday's victory over James Madison, the fourth-seeded Youngstown State football team will play host to an NCAA Division I Football Championship quarterfinal game next Saturday (Dec. 2) at Stambaugh Stadium against fellow Gateway member Illinois State. Kickoff will be at 6:00 p.m.

The Youngstown State ticket office will be open from 2-5 p.m. on Sunday for Penguin Club Gridiron Members and season-ticket holders. Season-ticket holders and Penguin Club members have until the end of the day on Tuesday to purchase their seats for the quarterfinal game.

Tickets for the general public and YSU students go on sale beginning on Monday morning at 9.

Tickets for the quarterfinal are $14 for reserved, $10 for general admission and $5 for Youngstown State students. This is the first time the Penguins have advanced to the Elite Eight in the postseason since reaching the championship game in 1999.

Youngstown State defeated the Redbirds during the regular season 27-13 at Hancock Stadium in Bloomington, Ill.

Fans can purchase tickets in person at the YSU Athletic Ticket Office in Stambaugh Stadium or by calling (330) 941-1978.

Ticket-Office Schedule For the Coming Week

Sunday, Nov. 26 - 2-5 p.m.

Monday, Nov. 27 - 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Tuesday, Nov. 28 - 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Men's Basketball vs. Canisius at 7 p.m.)

Wednesday, Nov. 29 - 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Thursday, Nov. 30 - 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Friday, Dec. 1 - 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Saturday, Dec. 2 - Office opens at 8/9 a.m. and ticket sales will go until kickoff

GoGuins
November 26th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Fly beat me to it

YSU-ISU starts at 6:00, just confirmed through the YSU ticket office

Gametime works perfect for me, I have my Air Force duty until 5 pm, quick change then the 15 min. drive to the stadium

GoGuins
November 26th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Flytown seems to be really full of himself

Isn't that always the case?xlolx

PantherRob82
November 26th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Should be a good game. Too bad the Gateway loses a team from the playoffs on Saturday.

November 26th, 2006, 04:58 PM
Football Quarterfinal to Kick Off at 5 p.m.
NORMAL, Ill. – The Illinois State football team will meet Gateway Football Conference foe Youngstown State for the second time this season in the quarterfinals of the Division I Football Championship on Saturday at Stambaugh Stadium. Kick off for the game is scheduled for 5 p.m. CT.

The game will be produced and broadcasted live by ESPN and will be available nationally as part of ESPN’s Gameplan. Local availability is also currently being negotiated and more information will be available later in the week.

ISUMatt
November 26th, 2006, 05:16 PM
Glad I have Gameplan!!! The Normal, IL folks will be angry as this will conflict with a basketball game

FlyYtown
November 26th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Weather Saturday in Youngstown

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:zVBuWblDK94ylM:http://www.netjs.com/images/weather/16.png
HIGH: 32http://office.microsoft.com/global/images/default.aspx?AssetID=ZA011179451033
Windy Conditions Expected Out of the NW---Lake Effect Snow!

Well I guess we will see why we call it the Ice Castle Saturday. Been a real long time since we saw playoff football in snow at Ytown!!!!

Paladin1aa
November 26th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Long "john" weather. And the need for a solid ground game.

Another possible YSU win. :nod:

Its GREAT !!! :thumbsup:

Daved
November 26th, 2006, 07:40 PM
ISU played hands-down their WORST game of the season against YSU.
Contrary to what almost everyone is picking, I'm going with the Birds in revenge mode against the Penguins. It's imperitive though that ISU QB Luke Drone clean up his game and get back on track.

The future looks bright for the Redbird program with just 13 seniors total on the team's roster. YSU, on the other hand, had better do it this season because they're losing a HUGE portion of this team next season.

Flytown seems to be really full of himself about YSU's win in Normal, so a Redbird win in Youngstown will be particularly sweet!! :nod:YSU will be losing 27 seniors this year so the pressure is there to do it this season.However I hate to see us have to play a team with the revenge mode--too many times the games are as different as night and day.Also hate to see one of the GFC teams eliminated before the finals.Last time ISU was unable to get any momentum going their way but I don't see this happening again.Two great teams playing-chances are it will be another great game.

ISUMatt
November 26th, 2006, 07:42 PM
The 1st ISU/EIU game was a complete shootout...the Playoff rematch was all defense...Like night and Day!!

FlyYtown
November 26th, 2006, 09:20 PM
http://ysusports.com/images/playoff-box2.jpg

Mudbird1
November 26th, 2006, 11:32 PM
This game is gonna be one for the books ... dare I say, epic, even ....

blur2005
November 27th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Good luck to both teams. I'll be going with Youngstown to win, as they somehow managed to beat JMU...I didn't post yesterday for fear of letting my incredible frustration over the loss result in some foolish things being said. I maintain JMU lost the game, rather than Youngstown winning it, but damn, that 4th down stop was clutch. Good luck to the Redbirds...you're going to need it.

Happy Penguin
November 27th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Glad I have Gameplan!!! The Normal, IL folks will be angry as this will conflict with a basketball game

Aren't you going to drive out and watch this one in person? There's plenty of room at our tailgate for ya.

BillLuc1982
November 27th, 2006, 08:18 AM
I think YSU will win because we're "Denver Johnson's UNI". Also, the 12th (wo)man will be there so that will help. It will be a lot tougher than Oct. 28th, though. Heacock will have his players well prepared for the rematch!

BillLuc1982
November 27th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Good luck to both teams. I'll be going with Youngstown to win, as they somehow managed to beat JMU...I didn't post yesterday for fear of letting my incredible frustration over the loss result in some foolish things being said. I maintain JMU lost the game, rather than Youngstown winning it, but damn, that 4th down stop was clutch. Good luck to the Redbirds...you're going to need it.

Both teams fought hard on Saturday. When I saw JMU play UD, I thought "please don't let us play JMU" because Rascati is just amazing and YSU has trouble playing against quarterbacks who run. JMU looked like the better team, but home field advantage helped YSU come to play. YSU did not turn the ball over and called many smart plays in the 1st and 4th quarters.

shakdaddy3
November 27th, 2006, 10:12 AM
I think YSU will win because we're "Denver Johnson's UNI". Also, the 12th (wo)man will be there so that will help. It will be a lot tougher than Oct. 28th, though. Heacock will have his players well prepared for the rematch!

DJ is 2-5 agaist YSU... i would give the nod of WKU (2-7) or WIU (2-5) before YSU... remember, he was 1-7 and 1-5 respectively before the season started against WKU and WIU... also, he had never beaten WKU or WIU @ their place and did both this season...

this will be a great game and hopefully the Redbirds can pull it off in the rematch, get some revenge, and live to see another football game... good luck YSU

BillLuc1982
November 27th, 2006, 10:18 AM
DJ is 2-5 agaist YSU... i would give the nod of WKU (2-7) or WIU (2-5) before YSU... remember, he was 1-7 and 1-5 respectively before the season started against WKU and WIU... also, he had never beaten WKU or WIU @ their place and did both this season...

this will be a great game and hopefully the Redbirds can pull it off in the rematch, get some revenge, and live to see another football game... good luck YSU

Sadly, some of those losses to (and both wins against) YSU were when Klacik was YSU's O-Coordinator. If you don't know who he is, he's the only guy who would run it up the middle when the D has 10 or 11 men in the box. WKU and WIU have been better than YSU most of the years when Denver was coach.

GoGuins
November 27th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Got my tix today, a lot of people in line before the office opened. I think there will be more in the stadium this week despite it being below 30 deg by kickoff

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 27th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Good luck Youngstown, you played good game Sat. if you keep it up you'll do well.

penguin8797
November 27th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Last Saturday's tailgating was great! So glad we get to do it again. Lots of excitement and food, beverages, etc. How many will make the trip from Illinois? The JMU fans were really loud last week, don't know how many came but they knew how to make noise. A busload were in BW's sports bar downtown before the game. I talked to a few of them. They were on a day trip and I think were going back after the game. We were interrupted when one of the guys stood up on a table and started signing what I guess was the JMU fight song, at least until the bartenders 'talked him down'. Can't wait to see the pic's of that. BW's is a decent chain and convenient place to stop before the game for food or a drink. It's 5 minutes from the stadium, plus my daughter (YSU senior) works there, so your patronage and tips help defray the cost of tuition! I would recommend it to Illinois State Fans.

Paladin1aa
November 27th, 2006, 12:36 PM
My group of 3 returns this week in Penguin Club seats.

Lots of e-mail from friends who watched the national broadcast. They couldn't believe this was mostly the same team who got screwed out of the play-offs by last years committee.

TV exposure is good !! xlolx xlolx xlolx

SpreadtheRed
November 27th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I wish I could go to the game, but im taking the LSATs on saturday. Im just glad its a later start time so Ill actually get to see the game! Also, im really hoping that ISU talks ESPN to reginonally broadcasting this game in the midwest, but then again, ill probably go to a bar to watch it anyways.

It is gonna be a good game. If its going to be 30 degrees at game time, this game is gonna come down to which of the great running backs gets it done. Mason (254attempts - 1568yards - 21tds - 6.17ypc ) and Rembert (331attempts - 1629yards - 16tds - 4.92ypc) are the two of the best running backs in the CS (ranking #2 and 6 respectively). Whichever defense can stop the other one, will be good to go. I would love to see a ton of snow on the ground for this game. I love football in the snow, and to see playoff football in the snow, would just be awesome.

Good luck YSU, its gonna be a good one...but...
GO REDBIRDS! :)

BillLuc1982
November 27th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Good luck on your LSAT's!

Chi Panther
November 27th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Two fantastic RBs!!!!!!!

Good Luck to both teams!!!!

FlyYtown
November 27th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Tix sales went off from the first minute today I am told... This place will be packed Saturday evening.. I personally think it will be sold out since its vs. a Gateway foe, and someone we have heard of!

Best part is it will be great to see 20,000 fans in the 30 degree chill out there----can you say ICE CASTLE.... Let's hope snow is falling too!

howvan
November 27th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Flytown,

Any explanation from the ticket office as to why the official attendance was only 11,600? I know that there were more people than that at the game.

GoGuins
November 27th, 2006, 03:12 PM
I agree there were at least 16k for the JMU game

After watching the reply of the ESPN broadcast, I thought it was funny they stuffed the two announcers in that little box on the east side stands. They kept calling it the Penguins Nest and thought YSU had constructed it just for them! Usually the local Fox 17/62 use it to broadcast from.

howvan
November 27th, 2006, 03:19 PM

After watching the reply of the ESPN broadcast, I thought it was funny they stuffed the two announcers in that little box on the east side stands. They kept calling it the Penguins Nest and thought YSU had constructed it just for them! Usually the local Fox 17/62 use it to broadcast from.
I don't think that it's going to be a great place on Saturday night when it's 25 degrees! If they use a space heater, I hope they don't burn it down. BTW, is it just a wood shack, or do they have some sort of siding/walls inside?

PantherRob82
November 27th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Brrrr..I think the Penguins win this.

Johnny5
November 27th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Cannot wait for the game on Saturday. I do however wonder why they moved the student section from the 50yrd line? Anyway I was disappointed I didn't got to the 1st meeting of IlSU-YSU this year, little did I know there was going to be a sequel! GO YSU BEAT THE BIRDS!

Johnny5
November 27th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I don't think that it's going to be a great place on Saturday night when it's 25 degrees! If they use a space heater, I hope they don't burn it down. BTW, is it just a wood shack, or do they have some sort of siding/walls inside?

I believe the have some sort of siding and insulation on the inside...if not sucks to be a broadcaster:smiley_wi

FlyYtown
November 27th, 2006, 07:27 PM

WOW.. Me and GoGuins agree on the attendance... It was VERY low.....
But GREAT NEWS!

HUNDREDS TURN OUT BEFORE TIX OFFICE OPENS THIS MORNING---WFMJ TV Video! (http://www.wfmj.com/global/video/WorldNowASX.asp?playerType=native&ClipID1=1087738&h1=The%20Valley%27s%20Got%20Penguin%20Fever%21&vt1=v&at1=Sport%20-%20NCAA&d1=81200&LaunchPageAdTag=Sport%20-%20NCAA&activePane=info&playerVersion=7)

Looks like we may have ourselves a sellout SATURDAY!!!!

GoGuins
November 27th, 2006, 07:47 PM
WOW.. Me and GoGuins agree on the attendance... It was VERY low.....
But GREAT NEWS!

HUNDREDS TURN OUT BEFORE TIX OFFICE OPENS THIS MORNING---WFMJ TV Video! (http://www.wfmj.com/global/video/WorldNowASX.asp?playerType=native&ClipID1=1087738&h1=The%20Valley%27s%20Got%20Penguin%20Fever%21&vt1=v&at1=Sport%20-%20NCAA&d1=81200&LaunchPageAdTag=Sport%20-%20NCAA&activePane=info&playerVersion=7)

Looks like we may have ourselves a sellout SATURDAY!!!!

I was in line 20 min. before the ticket office opened, there was a lot, but not hundreds. I will say there was more than the same time last week

Sellout? Hope so, but probably not. I will say there will be a lot more this Sat than last

SpreadtheRed
November 27th, 2006, 08:26 PM
People at ISU are pretty excited about the game (well at least the football nuts). Hopefully they will set up some sort of fan bus program to go to the game for ISU supporters, because its kind of a long ride (about 8 hours). Only problem with that is, they are either gonna have to drive through the night in presumably crappy weather, or stay the night in Youngstown.

Either way im hoping ESPN picks it up regionally, cause I cant go. I know for a fact our band is making the trek out there, so at least we will have some representation there. Is it bad that im concentrating more on this game then my LSATS?

Redbird Fan 21
November 27th, 2006, 08:39 PM
There will be fan buses according to the Denver Johnson show on WJBC tonight. Looks like the details will be ironed out tomorrow and there will be a report on goredbirds.com about it sometime tomorrow...

ill check back if i hear anything sooner

GoGuins
November 28th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Not much change in the forecast, as of today high of 37 deg with 30% chance of snow showers. It will probably be at or below freezing by KO.

BillLuc1982
November 28th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Not much change in the forecast, as of today high of 37 deg with 30% chance of snow showers. It will probably be at or below freezing by KO.

The thing with Mahoning Valley weather is...

it's unpredictable :confused: :confused: :confused:

GoGuins
November 28th, 2006, 09:33 AM
The thing with Mahoning Valley weather is...

it's unpredictable :confused: :confused: :confused:

Yea, it's supposed to be near 70 Thurs, then freezing Sat.
There's an arctic blast coming in from Canada Friday

BillLuc1982
November 28th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Yea, it's supposed to be near 70 Thurs, then freezing Sat.
There's an arctic blast coming in from Canada Friday

It could be 10 one minute, 110 the next, and then 10 again. Heck I remember the weekend of the ISU away game: snow, rain, thunder, lightning, sleet, hail, sun, and wind within hours. Heck I managed to boot a 50-yarder in the Ice Castle despite all this.

I will be back in town for a wedding. I'm only attending the Mass at noon since YSU football comes before the evening reception.

GoGuins
November 28th, 2006, 09:59 AM
It could be 10 one minute, 110 the next, and then 10 again. Heck I remember the weekend of the ISU away game: snow, rain, thunder, lightning, sleet, hail, sun, and wind within hours. Heck I managed to boot a 50-yarder in the Ice Castle despite all this.

I will be back in town for a wedding. I'm only attending the Mass at noon since YSU football comes before the evening reception.

Did you kick for the Guins or anyone else?

BillLuc1982
November 28th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Did you kick for the Guins or anyone else?

Kicked for Girard in 1999. Got an academic full ride to YSU. Then I had a nasty encounter with O-Coordinator Klacik. He laughed in my face when I wanted to try out. The players, including Mike Burns and Joe Bishop, wanted me to give it a shot.

stuperman17
November 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Umm...this is kinda weird. But I actually walked onto the team as a kicker this season. Maybe you can gimme ur name and i'll ask Joe about it...I remember burns, he was a punishing back although never got the full load. I'm from boardman btw...

BillLuc1982
November 28th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Umm...this is kinda weird. But I actually walked onto the team as a kicker this season. Maybe you can gimme ur name and i'll ask Joe about it...I remember burns, he was a punishing back although never got the full load. I'm from boardman btw...

Bill Luc***** (you can look me up on facebook if you want to know)

What's your name? Joe is an awesome punter and a better person. He's one of the reasons why the YSU team is where they are. Where did you kick and did YSU let you on? I tried walking on as a junior. Before then, I was an equipment manager for Carm. Before the games, I'd kick around and consistently hit within 40. Ask Joe about when we played "Cow". Fun times! I am thinking about trying out for the Redskins. I called the NFL about the legality of a straight-on kicking shoe, and they were very professional about it (unlike Klacik).

stuperman17
November 28th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I'll facebook ou, but yea joe is pretty sweet...I call him Joe "The Amazing" lol...I kicked at Boardman, but believe this...I only kicked for 1 year, but played soccer since i was 5...I didn't even play the whole season at Boardman cause they already had a kid who's pretty decent...I played in like 6 games. I walked on and had to go to tryouts at like 6 am like everyone else. Then had a seperate meeting with Heacock and i kicked for him and palmer/joe/blose (another freshman but on scholarship)...Then he just said to come back and that i made it...It was entirely up to heacock.

BillLuc1982
November 28th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Awesome. I have a lot of respect for Heacock and Wright. However, I didn't have pleasant encounters with Klacik and Boykin. They were very unprofessional. Klacik said he'd talk to my HS coach, but he never did.

I know Tressel wouldn't have put up with Klacik's garbage. Klacik left YSU when Tressel was coach because Tressel wouldn't let him have his way. Good for JT! Klacik's departure to Lock Haven saved Heacock's job. Wright is a much better O-Coordinator.

I checked the YSU roster and don't see your name on there. What's your kicking range? Do you punt, too?

stuperman17
November 28th, 2006, 11:02 AM
None of the walk-ons are on the roster online. My biggest weakness is power and getting height on the ball. My longest is 52 i believe. I can make 45 in most of the time. 40 and in is basically automatic for me, i've become a pretty accurate kicker. I came in as just a kicker. But then kinda got the idea that since we already have 2 kickers (one whos the same age as me), and no punters next year, why not work at punting and possibly play next year. Since I proabably have 0 chance to kick unless the freshman gets hurt which is unlikely. So i'm workin on punting a lot more now, but i gotta add around 5 yards and a little hang time to consider myself getting a chance to punt.

So you know Nick Teresina? I've known him for a while, used to kick at YSU for 2 years, he's Joe's roomate now in Girard actually. They got an appartment. He transferred from a Junior college.

GoGuins
November 28th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Can you guys kick as far as this guy?

http://www.mgoblue.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=3550&section_id=258&top=2&level=3&season=983

BillLuc1982
November 28th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Can you guys kick as far as this guy?

http://www.mgoblue.com/bio.cfm?bio_id=3550&section_id=258&top=2&level=3&season=983

Wright is very impressive. My longest I ever made was 55. Two of my kicks (50 and 43) are on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6wd2XDeJmE

And, stuperman, I do know Terracina. He attended my church (St. Pat's in Y-Town) for a while. Another great person (and not to mention a clutch kicker). I'm surprised Terracina didn't try going pro. Just try your best on the team. I actually learned punting from Kosta and Jeff Ryan and got really good at it in 2001. I never punted in high school.

To gain distance, just pretend the ball is the head of someone you can't stand (maybe a bad date). xlolx

shakdaddy3
November 28th, 2006, 11:18 AM
guys, this whole kicker thing is really cute and all... maybe you can meat up and, um, "kick it" :)

seriously though, kickers aren't football players... the worst feeling ever as a football player is busting your ass for an entire week and then an entire game and finally rest on the foot of your kicker... you play your heart out for 60 minutes and this little wimpy guy who doesn't have to do anything during most practices comes out for 5 seconds to decide a game...

special teams are very important in football; nevertheless, i don't like kickers...

anyway, should be nice and cold in the ice castle... should be interesting to see if either team lets the weather affect the gameplan or if it is bad enough it could ground the passing attacks... i think this one comes down to turnovers and whichever team can make some big plays...

GoGuins
November 28th, 2006, 11:22 AM
guys, this whole kicker thing is really cute and all... maybe you can meat up and, um, "kick it" :)

seriously though, kickers aren't football players... the worst feeling ever as a football player is busting your ass for an entire week and then an entire game and finally rest on the foot of your kicker... you play your heart out for 60 minutes and this little wimpy guy who doesn't have to do anything during most practices comes out for 5 seconds to decide a game...

special teams are very important in football; nevertheless, i don't like kickers...

anyway, should be nice and cold in the ice castle... should be interesting to see if either team lets the weather affect the gameplan or if it is bad enough it could ground the passing attacks... i think this one comes down to turnovers and whichever team can make some big plays...

Hey! there are ISU fans! Sat can't get here soon enough. YSU needs to pressure Drone like the first game

BillLuc1982
November 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM
shakdaddy,

In HS I practiced just like the others. I ran a lot and kicked a lot against a fence. I did practically everything the other players did.

stuperman17
November 28th, 2006, 11:25 AM
And, stuperman, I do know Terracina. He attended my church (St. Pat's in Y-Town) for a while. Another great person (and not to mention a clutch kicker). I'm surprised Terracina didn't try going pro. Just try your best on the team. I actually learned punting from Kosta and Jeff Ryan and got really good at it in 2001. I never punted in high school.

To gain distance, just pretend the ball is the head of someone you can't stand (maybe a bad date). xlolx

Oh believe me, he's still trying to go pro. I heard he's on a short list of guys the rams are interested in since i guess Wilkins is considering retirement already. Nick helped me out when i was in high school. He helped me a good amount. He's been talking to this new team in Youngstown. They're called the Mahoning Valley Thunder. They're gonna be playing at the Chevy Center, and they told him it's between him and another kid, and he has the edge since they wont have to pay for his housing. He's been trying real hard, he got ingaged, i dunno if you knew that.

stuperman17
November 28th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I also practiced a ton in high school when i played. Even this year, although we dont' stay as active as the rest of the team, i have to lift everything they do, run like they do. We have all the same responsibilities.

BillLuc1982
November 28th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Terracina got engaged? News to me. Didn't know he had a g/f. I heard the girls at YSU were all gung ho about his southern accent.

shakdaddy3
November 28th, 2006, 11:30 AM
shakdaddy,

In HS I practiced just like the others. I ran a lot and kicked a lot against a fence. I did practically everything the other players did.

there's a big difference between kicking a ball and kicking the crap out of the guy across from you... i'm not going to argue, but if you are going to say that kickers work just as hard as the other players, then you are being delusional... but that has nothing to do with this game for the most part... so anyway...

come on saturday... HURRY UP

SpreadtheRed
November 28th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Siskowic just won defensive player of the year. That makes 5 in a row for the old Redbirds. And after last week, I think YSU Will have a rough time against our D.

So I'm confused. Are you on the team? Or just the practice squad as a walk on, or what?

And how was a 57 yard Field goal the second longest in Ohio HS history? Wow.

BillLuc1982
November 28th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Siskowic just won defensive player of the year. That makes 5 in a row for the old Redbirds. And after last week, I think YSU Will have a rough time against our D.

So I'm confused. Are you on the team? Or just the practice squad as a walk on, or what?

And how was a 57 yard Field goal the second longest in Ohio HS history? Wow.

Former Ohio State punter kicked a 60-yarder for Roger Bacon HS near Cincy. I know that former ND kicker Nick Setta had the Illinois HS record with 60. He had a 72 that hit the crossbar (during a game).

GoGuins
November 28th, 2006, 12:04 PM

I agree, YSU will not run all over your D this time, but after last weeks passing performance, it gives your D-coord something else to prepare for.

It will be interesting what new offensive wrinkles YSU's O-coord comes up with for this week.

BillLuc1982
November 28th, 2006, 12:10 PM
I liked the HB Toss & Pass against JMU

stuperman17
November 28th, 2006, 12:35 PM
That came right out of the "LT Playbook" lol...

Johnny5
November 28th, 2006, 12:38 PM
hmm I wonder if YSU will play the 3-4 defense again against ISU. First time I have seen them line up in it. Most of the time it looks like they play 4-3/4-4 and on the rare occassion the defense known as "we suck again.." All jokes aside I cannot wait for this game...one other thing I am surprised they moved the student section from 16 to 15...maybe so we aren't close to the mics this time.

:hyped:

BillLuc1982
November 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM
As long as we don't play the "we suck again" defense, I'm good!

stuperman17
November 28th, 2006, 06:11 PM
They moved the student section again because the other team requested i think. Don't take my word for it, but thats my guess...Last week JMU had a ton of requests that had to be granted by NCAA rule. I wont even get into the list, but an equipment manager i talk to alot said they wanted a lot of things done for them and they had to do it.

redbirdtim
November 28th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Hey...Hey...you can't stop playing the "we suck" defense now...in fact, it should have to be the suckeist defense you've played this year :nod: :rotateh:

FlyYtown
November 28th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Wow what a difference a week could make.. Didn't the JMU thread have 30 pages or something by this time last week lol!!!

We had 7 in the first hour after the game was announced. YSU fans, bring your cameras to the game and take some pictures, and add them over at eguins---the site would appreciate it!

SpreadtheRed
November 28th, 2006, 10:11 PM
Well With ISU-YSU we already know what to expect and what both teams need to do to win. Plus, and im generalizing here, but I think most ISU fans respect YSU. You guys are a great program and you whooped up on us earlier in the year. Plus, its a fellow gateway team. If we werent playing you guys this week, Id be cheering for you :)

PLUS, ISU fans have class. Any trash talking we will do is all in homer good fun, and frankly, im just excited to see my team in the second round of the playoffs in my senior year!

Mudbird1
November 28th, 2006, 11:03 PM
im just excited to see my team in the second round of the playoffs in my senior year!

Haha, i dont know about you, but its my senior year and I aint just happy to be here ... I WANNA BE IN CHATTANOOGA WITH THE BIRDS ON THE 15TH ... haha, but I am also quite excited! GO BIRDS!

redbirdtim
November 29th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Spread, Mud...either of you guys going to the game?

SpreadtheRed
November 29th, 2006, 12:38 AM
I would love to, ISU is offering a bus/overnight package thing for $150, but I cant, got the LSATS sat. morning, and the bus is leaving at like 5am. I also heard its not gonna be on ESPN Syndication, so im gonna have to get on ordering the gameplan game. Or, I guess they are showing the game on some big screens in the Bone Student Center. I might hit that up after my test. You going Tim?

redbirdtim
November 29th, 2006, 12:42 AM
The jet is gassed up and ready to go! Would probably have a lot more people on the fan bus if the A) Got rid of the overnight part-essentially kills the chance of students going, and B) Got local sponsors to help foot the bill.

penguin8797
November 29th, 2006, 07:53 AM
I don't know the specific reason for moving the YSU student section for the JMU game, but I suspect it has to do with the students heckling the crap out of opposition players all year. Don't know if the relocation will continue for the ISU game. I am told the students get the rosters for the opposition team and pass out copies before games so they can hassle the individual players by name. Apparently the administration has become aware and issued some warnings. Much of it is in fun but there has been profanity and the tastefulness of their actions depends on your point of view. I get most of this from a coworker whose son is a YSU students who sits in that section. I can see the humor in it, but I generally don't care for that kind of behavior.

The regular season ISU/YSU game won by YSU looked to be affected a lot by the wind. Both QB's seemed to have a very hard time judging throws, especially into the wind and that was probably to YSU's advantage. I think YSU can beat Illinois again, but its not a given and I expect a very different game. The current forecast for Saturday-Snow showers at times. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the mid 20s.

BillLuc1982
November 29th, 2006, 08:05 AM
I don't know the specific reason for moving the YSU student section.

The ESPN2 mic picked up some of the students' obscenities at the YSU-JMU game.

shakdaddy3
November 29th, 2006, 08:05 AM
yeah.. while watching the YSU-JMU game on ESPN, it was very clear that the YSU students thought the purple part of JMU's uniforms or whatever made them look like a bundle of sticks, if you know what i mean...

if not, it is a term for homosexuals... i don't mind it, but i'm sure it'd make some people unhappy

GoGuins
November 29th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I don't know the specific reason for moving the YSU student section for the JMU game, but I suspect it has to do with the students heckling the crap out of opposition players all year. Don't know if the relocation will continue for the ISU game. I am told the students get the rosters for the opposition team and pass out copies before games so they can hassle the individual players by name. Apparently the administration has become aware and issued some warnings. Much of it is in fun but there has been profanity and the tastefulness of their actions depends on your point of view. I get most of this from a coworker whose son is a YSU students who sits in that section. I can see the humor in it, but I generally don't care for that kind of behavior.

The regular season ISU/YSU game won by YSU looked to be affected a lot by the wind. Both QB's seemed to have a very hard time judging throws, especially into the wind and that was probably to YSU's advantage. I think YSU can beat Illinois again, but its not a given and I expect a very different game. The current forecast for Saturday-Snow showers at times. Highs in the mid 30s and lows in the mid 20s.

I used to have season tix on the east side not too far from the students. I remember a few years ago when WKU was here the students were really abusing the WKU players and Jack Harbaugh, WKU's coach at the time, actually came over within shouting distance of them and was yelling obcentities back

GoGuins
November 29th, 2006, 09:50 AM
We had 7 in the first hour after the game was announced. YSU fans, bring your cameras to the game and take some pictures, and add them over at eguins---the site would appreciate it!

I'll add mine to that 1980's looking YSU site WWW.YSUPENGUINS.COM

Cap'n Cat
November 29th, 2006, 01:11 PM
Too bad someone has to lose this game. Very proud of our Gateway rep's.

If I had to pick a winner, I'll say.............

ILSU 23
YSU 21

Major distance ILSU field goal with 6 seconds left.

ncguitarplyr
November 29th, 2006, 01:15 PM
sportsnetwork's predction:

"No. 11 Illinois State (9-3) at No. 5 Youngstown State (10-2), 6:00

These Gateway Conference teams should be plenty familiar with each other. Back on Oct. 28, the Penguins went in to Illinois State and came out with a 27-13 victory over the Redbirds. While the final score is impressive, the yardage numbers indicate an even more dominating performance for the Penguins. Youngstown State racked up 345 rushing yards and limited the Redbirds to just 161 yards of total offense, including a 14-carry, 11-yard performance for star running back Pierre Rembert. To set up a rematch, both teams had to score in the final minutes to hold on for close victories in the first round. Youngstown State fell behind James Madison, 31-20, in the fourth quarter, but rallied for a 35-31 victory when Marcus Mason scored on a one-yard plunge with 1:12 remaining in the game. While the Penguins have four national titles to their name, the victory marked their first playoff win since defeating Florida A & M to advance to the national championship game in 1999. They are also in the quarterfinals for the first time since that year. Youngstown State comes into Saturday’s action with a 13-game home playoff winning streak that dates back to a first-round loss against Central Florida in 1990. Illinois State will try to break that streak. In their first postseason appearance since 1999, the Redbirds advanced to the quarterfinals for the first time since that year with a 24-13 victory at Eastern Illinois that was also a rematch of a regular season contest. They didn’t get much from the offense as Luke Drone threw four interceptions, but the defense returned two interceptions for touchdowns. An 18-yard touchdown run by Pierre Rembert put the Redbirds ahead, 17-13, with 2:07 to play, and a 45-yard interception return for a score by Jesse Caesar sealed the win with a minute to play. The matchup marks the second time that Gateway Conference teams have faced off in the postseason. In 2002, Western Kentucky won at Western Illinois, 31-28, in its national championship season. Western Illinois had won the regular season matchup on the road. Illinois State played its first playoff rematch last week, while Youngstown State beat Eastern Kentucky at home in the regular season and in the playoffs in 1994. With the win earlier in the year, Youngstown State has an 8-7 advantage in the series against the Redbirds.

When Illinois State Has the Ball: The offensive numbers look good for the running and passing game, and the Redbirds definitely have the firepower to score in bunches. But they have to snap out of a late-season funk, and show that the first game against Youngstown State was just an anomaly. With quarterback Luke Drone struggling recently, the Redbirds will have to get Pierre Rembert (1629 yards, 16 TD) going early on. Rembert has 100 yards or more in 11 of his 12 games and comes of a 122-yard effort in the first round, and the matchup with a Youngstown State defense that allows 153.3 yards per game and 4.5 yards per carry on the ground would seem to look good on paper. But it sure didn’t play out that way in the first meeting. The Penguins dominated the line of scrimmage and held Rembert to 11 yards on 14 carries. That total is nearly 125 yards below his average and 94 yards below his second- lowest effort of the season. Rembert has 25 carries or more in eight games this season, so the Redbirds figure to try to give him the ball and should do better on the ground than they did in the first meeting. But unless the Illinois State offensive line can get more of a push against the Penguins, Rembert could have trouble getting near the century mark again. If the Penguins bottle Rembert up, Drone (2772 yards, 19 TD/9 INT) will have to shake off his recent performances to move the ball through the air. He has six interceptions and just one touchdown pass in the last two games, and survived four interceptions and a 16- of-33 day in the first-round win over Eastern Illinois. A 10-of-31 performance in the first meeting with the Penguins was his first real struggle, and he’ll have to find the form that led the Redbirds to 231 passing yards and 29.7 points per game. Wide receivers Pierre Jackson (746 yards, 6 TD) and Laurent Robinson (629 yards, 5 TD) both have big-play potential, and will need to win the battle against Youngstown State corners Codera Jackson and Jason Perry. The Penguins have given up a lot of yards through the air, but do have 11 interceptions and 22 turnovers forced. The Redbirds did a great job avoiding turnovers until committing eight in the last two weeks, and need to get back to winning that battle in this game. But if they don’t do a better job at the line, it could be a long day again.

When Youngstown State Has the Ball: The play up front figures to determine what happens when the Penguins have the ball as well. If Youngstown State’s offensive line dominates the Redbirds’ front as thoroughly as it did in the first meeting, Illinois State will have a tough time coming up with a different result. The Penguins ran all over the Redbirds for 345 yards and four touchdowns in the first meeting, as Marcus Mason (1568 yards, 21 TD) racked up 176 yards and two touchdowns during a stretch where he was dominating the Gateway Conference. Mason did miss the regular season finale against Western Kentucky and was clearly not 100 percent while gaining 72 yards and two touchdowns in the first-round win over James Madison, but the Penguin running game will still be very tough if Mason is limited or can’t go and Monquantae Gibson has to carry the load. The Penguins are eighth in the nation with 228.4 rushing yards per game and average 5.45 yards per carry, and should be able to get on track against an Illinois State defense that surrenders 142.7 yards per game on the ground. Quarterback Tom Zetts (1790 passing yards, 11 TD/10 INT) also ran for 110 yards in the first meeting, but he struggled through the air with a 9-of-17 outing for 93 yards and an interception that was returned for a touchdown. However, Zetts showed the Penguins can produce through the air with 24-of-40 passing for 314 yards and a touchdown in the first-round victory. Illinois State has allowed 13 touchdown passes and 191.4 passing yards per game. The matchups all look good for the Penguins, as long as they don’t hurt themselves in the turnover battle. Illinois State has picked off 17 passes this year, including three interceptions and two returns for touchdowns last week. The Redbirds have forced 22 turnovers overall and rank in the top 15 nationally in turnover margin, so they can come up with big plays, especially against the passing game. But if Youngstown State’s offensive line controls the game and the Penguins win with the run, the Redbirds might not have that opportunity very often.

Intangibles: Beating the same team twice in one season is a tall task. Recent playoff history gives an advantage to the team that lost the first meeting, and Illinois State figures to offer a better overall effort than it did in the first meeting. Youngstown State has the huge edge of having this one at home. The Penguins are 6-1 at Stambaugh Stadium this year, and have not lost a playoff game at home in more than 15 years. With a chance of snow and wind in the early December forecast, passing could become increasingly difficult.

The Verdict: Illinois State only lost the first meeting by two touchdowns, but the numbers indicate an even more dominating performance for the Penguins. The Redbirds are the team with more to prove this time after struggling recently, while Youngstown State can’t get complacent to look past a team that it handled the first time around. Illinois State should play better, and it’s hard to picture Rembert getting shut down as thoroughly this time. But overcoming a team that won the battle at the line of scrimmage is much tougher than getting past a team that won with turnovers or a few key plays. Youngstown State gets a big effort from the running game again, and wins by 10 points to move on to the semifinals. Prediction: Youngstown State 34, Illinois State 24"
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

SpreadtheRed
November 29th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Thats a pretty good analysis of the game...but the outcome is still wrong :)

As far as students heckling the other team, thats part of a home team advantage, have your "12th man" get inside of the oppositions head. I dont mind it at all, as long as it is kept in check, like totally personal stuff is out of line, but making fun of jerseys, bad plays, and stupid haircuts, totally acceptable.

Ill even make it easy for YSU fans, these are the players you will WANT to heckle, cause they are gateway elites:
81 Laurent Robinson
7 Luke Drone
40 Cameron Siskowic
6 Kye Stewart
and of course
5 Pierre Rembert

BillLuc1982
November 29th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Wow, the Cat is back after a long hiatus!

GoGuins
November 29th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Thats a pretty good analysis of the game...but the outcome is still wrong :)

As far as students heckling the other team, thats part of a home team advantage, have your "12th man" get inside of the oppositions head. I dont mind it at all, as long as it is kept in check, like totally personal stuff is out of line, but making fun of jerseys, bad plays, and stupid haircuts, totally acceptable.

Ill even make it easy for YSU fans, these are the players you will WANT to heckle, cause they are gateway elites:
81 Laurent Robinson
7 Luke Drone
40 Cameron Siskowic
6 Kye Stewart
and of course
5 Pierre Rembert

I won't heckle Rembert too bad being he's a former Wolverine:D

HLecter
November 29th, 2006, 01:53 PM

YES SHAK,,,

i'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT

Kickers are NOT football players (just ask a player LOL)

My son played at YSU around the time that JLUC is talking about and he will reiterate!....nothing against JLUC,,,,,just hates kickers.

Nicky T used to work for me in the summers,,,,we would carry a football around and have him kick it down the street,,,,good times and a good kid.
If he still has the same cell no. I am calling him,,,,I thought he was working as an engineer in town ??

Whatever

I don't mean to bash my YSU brothers

I hope I "keep on kickin" for a while yet:eyebrow:

BillLuc1982
November 29th, 2006, 01:56 PM
HLecter, I think I was talking to you for a bit during the 2nd quarter of the JMU-YSU game. Never realized you had AGS until my uncle told me.

FlyYtown
November 29th, 2006, 02:18 PM
I'll add mine to that 1980's looking YSU site WWW.YSUPENGUINS.COM

Go right ahead, but you have to admit, my site has been doing very well in the last few days, especially the last week. Give it til the end of the year and you will see who really is #1...... The pictures/videos/graphics will outdo that site....

Hey I really had nothing against that site until they banned me, and I may as well vent way my internal thoughts on them; I viewed it as an opposing teams fan, now c-mon when you go to their homepage, it's HORRIBLE and OLD....:smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

Cap'n Cat
November 29th, 2006, 02:22 PM
YES SHAK,,,

i'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THAT

Kickers are NOT football players (just ask a player LOL)

My son played at YSU around the time that JLUC is talking about and he will reiterate!....nothing against JLUC,,,,,just hates kickers.

Nicky T used to work for me in the summers,,,,we would carry a football around and have him kick it down the street,,,,good times and a good kid.
If he still has the same cell no. I am calling him,,,,I thought he was working as an engineer in town ??

Whatever

I don't mean to bash my YSU brothers

I hope I "keep on kickin" for a while yet:eyebrow:

Hey, Lec! You see I got banned again! Miss you guys over there. Tell Fan I love him. Penguinaunt, too, huh?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Regarding kickers, my offensive line coach at UNI hated kickers. He had a saying about them in which I believe 100% to this day:

"The outcome of a football game should never be decided by a non-contact player."

- Walt Klinker, 1985

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

BillLuc1982
November 29th, 2006, 02:30 PM
"The outcome of a football game should never be decided by a non-contact player."

- Walt Klinker, 1985

The coach isn't a non-contact player; he's a coach. Does that mean that a coach could decide the outcome by a *****ty call? I've seen several games where that decided the outcome.

GoGuins
November 29th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Go right ahead, but you have to admit, my site has been doing very well in the last few days, especially the last week. Give it til the end of the year and you will see who really is #1...... The pictures/videos/graphics will outdo that site....

Hey I really had nothing against that site until they banned me, and I may as well vent way my internal thoughts on them; I viewed it as an opposing teams fan, now c-mon when you go to their homepage, it's HORRIBLE and OLD....:smiley_wi :smiley_wi :smiley_wi

More power to ya....maybe Cat will join it and that will make it 5 membersxlolx

Cap'n Cat
November 29th, 2006, 02:38 PM
The coach isn't a non-contact player; he's a coach. Does that mean that a coach could decide the outcome by a *****ty call? I've seen several games where that decided the outcome.

Bill,
Slow down and just enjoy the humor of the statement.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

BillLuc1982
November 29th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Bill,
Slow down and just enjoy the humor of the statement.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was trying to add on to the joke xlolx

FlyYtown
November 29th, 2006, 02:44 PM
More power to ya....maybe Cat will join it and that will make it 5 membersxlolx
You mean 26 members---lol!!!!!!!!
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

shakdaddy3
November 29th, 2006, 02:50 PM

there is a difference between players and coaches... and i'd put money that coaches see more contact than kickers do :smiley_wi

just ask Joe Pa! ZING

HLecter
November 29th, 2006, 03:40 PM
HLecter, I think I was talking to you for a bit during the 2nd quarter of the JMU-YSU game. Never realized you had AGS until my uncle told me.

Yes, I definitely (almost) remember,,,,standing on the walkway,,former equip guy or trainer with carm?

See you saturday

HLecter
November 29th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Hey, Lec! You see I got banned again! Miss you guys over there. Tell Fan I love him. Penguinaunt, too, huh?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Regarding kickers, my offensive line coach at UNI hated kickers. He had a saying about them in which I believe 100% to this day:

- Walt Klinker, 1985

Yeah we really miss you over there Cap'n I'll be sure to pass on your best wishes to Fan and Aunt--what did you do wrong now to get banned??

more waterhead pictures??:p

BillLuc1982
November 29th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Yes, I definitely (almost) remember,,,,standing on the walkway,,former equip guy or trainer with carm?

See you saturday

Yep. Former equipment guy. Never knew you knew the Cap'n. How do you know him? See him at any YSU games? You bet I'll be there Saturday. Skipping out on a wedding reception to be at the Ice Castle.

BillLuc1982
November 29th, 2006, 03:54 PM
there is a difference between players and coaches... and i'd put money that coaches see more contact than kickers do :smiley_wi

just ask Joe Pa! ZING

Or Bill Cowher's Mustache :coach: :coach: :coach: :coach:

FlyYtown
November 29th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Yeah we really miss you over there Cap'n I'll be sure to pass on your best wishes to Fan and Aunt--what did you do wrong now to get banned??

Can you do the same for me Mr. D......
BTW: What are your thoughts on those streamers LMFAO.xlolx xlolx xlolx

BillLuc1982
November 30th, 2006, 08:30 AM
That's amazing how JMU brought their streamers from Harrisonburg. Dedicated fans let me tell you.

GoGuins
November 30th, 2006, 08:42 AM
That's amazing how JMU brought their streamers from Harrisonburg. Dedicated fans let me tell you.

Streamers were kinda annoying since I was sitting so close to the JMU fans, but were harmless to me. The cops should have just let them do their thing. Well, I guess they did anyway because they did it until the end of the game.

I feel bad for the stadium cleaning crew the next day

Hey...a weather update for Sat. 35 deg for high, still 30% chance precip, snow showers expected. Windy

Today and Friday, 65 high today, 54 tomorrow with thunderstorms & high winds

Paladin1aa
November 30th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Game time temp below 32 degress and wind chill way below that. Break out the long johns . :)

Its going to be brutal. :nod:

GoGuins
November 30th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Game time temp below 32 degress and wind chill way below that. Break out the long johns . :)

Ice Castle & Penguin weather:hurray:

SpreadtheRed
November 30th, 2006, 09:19 AM
pfft, its that temp. here right now. Thats just good ole midwestern Football weather.

ysubigred
November 30th, 2006, 10:11 AM
pfft, its that temp. here right now. Thats just good ole midwestern Football weather.

Funny, that I'm really not to far from you SR and it's 71 here :eek: Crazy time of year for temps.

BillLuc1982
November 30th, 2006, 10:20 AM
70ish here, too

GoGuins
November 30th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Funny how most talk is on the weather and not the game. I guess we already know each other pretty well & know it won't be an easy time for the Guins like the first game.

Any significant injuries for Ill St? Any ISU fans coming & where are you staying?

YSU Gameday Central
http://www.ysu.edu/sports/ncaa.htm

crunifan
November 30th, 2006, 10:47 AM
You all suck!

It is 15 degrees in Cedar Falls, with a wind chill of 0! : smh :

GoGuins
November 30th, 2006, 10:53 AM
You all suck!

It is 15 degrees in Cedar Falls, with a wind chill of 0! : smh :

Yea, but if UNI was hosting a game it would be in indoors and comfortable:D

BillLuc1982
November 30th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Funny how most talk is on the weather and not the game. I guess we already know each other pretty well & know it won't be an easy time for the Guins like the first game.

Any significant injuries for Ill St? Any ISU fans coming & where are you staying?

YSU Gameday Central
http://www.ysu.edu/sports/ncaa.htm

Last ISU/YSU game was played in windy conditions. Kickers from both teams had trouble with PAT's. Let's just hope Bishop brings his "Bishop game" :)

SpreadtheRed
November 30th, 2006, 11:18 AM
Yeah it was 64 here yesterday, it is currently 34 degrees. I love this time of the year. Geez.. But, from what ive heard we have a small contingent of students/alums/supporters going, plus our full band. Of course the timing is kinda crappy for the game, between the crappy weather, and the fact that it is total crunch time for classes and stuff (being a week away from finals), alot of students that would normally go, arent gonna be able to.

The last game was REALLY windy, but it died down a bit in the second half. It should be a good game saturday, im really looking forward to it. I just wish this week would go by faster...its been like the slowest week ever!!!

SpreadtheRed
November 30th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Uhhh Correct that, the temp is still plummetting, it is now 28 degrees. YAY!

Cap'n Cat
November 30th, 2006, 12:00 PM

LMAO!!!!!

Who TF knows with him!??!?!!?

I made light of a very portly YSU defensive linemen in the SIU pics post. Plus it's playoff time, Fan doesn't want Cap'n Cat to take center stage over YSU's playoff run there!!! I'm more popular than him and Jesus on that site!!

Still trying to get D1B to think about making the run to Youngstown for the game. There, Fan and I will settle our disputes, once and for all, with a giant hug and a full-on French kiss!!!!! He better be looking over his shoulder!!!!

AND, you still owe me a case of beer for the UNI win! I will collect when I arrive!!!!!

:bow: :bow: xlolx xlolx xlolx

;) ;) :hurray: :hurray: xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Happy Penguin
November 30th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Good to hear from you Cap...I'm just glad you picked against us. I think you're 2-10 picking our games. :hurray:

Let me know if your coming, I'll direct you to our tailgate spot.

LMAO!!!!!

I made light of a very portly YSU defensive linemen in the SIU pics post. Plus it's playoff time, Fan doesn't want Cap'n Cat to take center stage over YSU's playoff run there!!! I'm more popular than him and Jesus on that site!!

Still trying to get D1B to think about making the run to Youngstown for the game. There, Fan and I will settle our disputes, once and for all, with a giant hug and a full-on French kiss!!!!! He better be looking over his shoulder!!!!

AND, you still owe me a case of beer for the UNI win! I will collect when I arrive!!!!!

FuturePenguin
November 30th, 2006, 03:46 PM
I'm not going to be able to go to the game saturday! Is it even going to be broadcast around here? If not, at I guess I'll just have to be glad I was able to be there for the JMU game. If I don't get to post until then, GO PENGUINS!

ysuindy
November 30th, 2006, 03:59 PM
spread - when is the team leaving? Are they flying from Bloomington area, bussing to Chicago or all the way to Y'town.

I see the forecast for Friday for Bloomington is 7 to 12 inches of snow. If they were leaving Friday, might be some issues.

FlyYtown
November 30th, 2006, 04:26 PM
I'm not going to be able to go to the game saturday! Is it even going to be broadcast around here? If not, at I guess I'll just have to be glad I was able to be there for the JMU game. If I don't get to post until then, GO PENGUINS!
FuturePenguin--that's too bad you can't make it. ESPN Gameplan will carry the game and I am told ONLY ESPN Gameplan locally. 33 is waiving their right to carry the game: HANNON wants a sell-out-----and I applaud Ch. 33 for doing that!

SpreadtheRed
November 30th, 2006, 05:02 PM
I have no idea when they are leaving. The weather here is HORRID. Right now its not raining, its not snowing, its fricken ICING! Im surprised I still have power to tell you the thruth, all the power lines/trees are sagging hard from this stuff.
Im guessing they would fly out of Bloomington International, but things might change, they might go to Chicago because the odds of a plane getting out of O'hare or Midway in this crap seems to be much more feesible *spelling?*. My guess is that they were either leaving today or early tomorrow, hopefully they can find a way out there! :)

FuturePenguin
November 30th, 2006, 05:57 PM
I guess that makes sense FlyYtown. what ever they can do to fill the seats is a good thing, and not televising the game is a very good idea. The only bad side is that I can't tape it! Are they going to show a taped replay of the game like they do for the regular season games?

SpreadtheRed
November 30th, 2006, 06:13 PM
Im sure you'll be able to get your hands on it somehow. I just wish it was on TV here, being two states away and all (since you guys are basically in Penn anyways, well kinda :) )

FlyYtown
November 30th, 2006, 06:22 PM
HORRIBLE NEWS.

Illinois State @ Youngstown State

TV: MY-YTV [Good thing is not many people get this, bad thing is half of Mahoning County does get it]

About the same about of tix sold at this time this week compared to last week... Regardless.... It will be packed Saturday!

SpreadtheRed
November 30th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Okay, now some in-depth analysis into the history of these two teams playing eachother:
- YSU holds a 8-7 advantage in the all-time record between YSU and ISU
- 9 of those 15 games were decided by less than 10 points
- This is only the second time two Gateway teams have met in the playoffs
- Denver Johnson is 2-5 all-time vs. YSU
- Heacock is 4-2 all-time vs. ISU
- Two of the top Running Backs in the nation will face off: Rembert and Mason
- The last time these two teams met, the passing game was not a factor, YSU had only 93 Passing yards and ISU 143

Other info:- Laurent Robinson only needs 82 reception yards to be the fifth Gateway player in history to gain 3,000 recieving yards in a career
- YSU is 13-1 in the Playoffs in the Ice Castle
- ISU Is 7-2 in their last 9 road games, including a 1 point loss to Kansas State and a loss to UNI.
- In the Gateway Preseason Poll YSU was ranked #2 and ISU #3. NIU was ranked #1

-The weather is gonna suck the big one, so running will most likely be the deciding factor in this game. In the last meeting between these two teams, YSU ran all over ISU and ISU decided for some reason or another to primarily pass in Gail Force Winds...go figure :)

Its gonna be a good game. Both fanbases are getting pumped up! Looking forward to a good game between two Gateway Rivals!

ISUMatt
November 30th, 2006, 06:38 PM
- In the Gateway Preseason Poll YSU was ranked #2 and ISU #3. NIU was ranked #1

FIrst off, Its UNI and second according to the I-AA.org Preview Magazine, YSU was #1, ISU #2 and UNI #3

Peems
November 30th, 2006, 06:40 PM
to ISU fans: is Robinson finally "relatively" healthy? every time i hear his name its he is still recovering. so how is he doing?

ysuindy
November 30th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I have no idea when they are leaving. The weather here is HORRID. Right now its not raining, its not snowing, its fricken ICING! Im surprised I still have power to tell you the thruth, all the power lines/trees are sagging hard from this stuff.
Im guessing they would fly out of Bloomington International, but things might change, they might go to Chicago because the odds of a plane getting out of O'hare or Midway in this crap seems to be much more feesible *spelling?*. My guess is that they were either leaving today or early tomorrow, hopefully they can find a way out there! :)

Heard on my way home that American has cancelled all flights out of Chicago starting 11 p.m. tonight through Friday. I am sure ISU is flying on a charter, but that doesn't sound good. If they haven't left already, the Redbirds could have a long day on the road.

Paladin1aa
November 30th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Only 8K sold so far per 6:oo TV news.

And its being televised locally.

ISUMatt
November 30th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Heard on my way home that American has cancelled all flights out of Chicago starting 11 p.m. tonight through Friday. I am sure ISU is flying on a charter, but that doesn't sound good. If they haven't left already, the Redbirds could have a long day on the road.

I dont think they would fly out of Chicago, but rather Bloomington/Normal, which is getting hammered as we speak with snow and ice

redbirdtim
November 30th, 2006, 08:42 PM
I would guess they're flying out tomorrow. I don't think they want the guys to miss today's classes. Spoke to some people flying on the team plane and they didn't say anything about flight plans being changed to tonight. I just hope that anyone travelling to any game, supporting any team, has safe travels!

Mudbird1
November 30th, 2006, 08:52 PM
Spread, Mud...either of you guys going to the game?

I wish! Too broke to make the journey. Plus I got a huge project due Monday, soooo I guess with this horrible I'll take it as a sign to stay in Normal.

Im thinkin' bout hitting up the PUB II for the game! Hopefully there's a huge crowd!

Mudbird1
November 30th, 2006, 08:54 PM
spread - when is the team leaving? Are they flying from Bloomington area, bussing to Chicago or all the way to Y'town.

I see the forecast for Friday for Bloomington is 7 to 12 inches of snow. If they were leaving Friday, might be some issues.

The team is leaving plane at like 1:30 Friday and flying back right after the game. (My buddy is a camera guy for the campus TV station and gets to go with ... lucky *%$#@*^!)

igo4uni
November 30th, 2006, 09:27 PM
FIrst off, Its UNI

Woo Hoo!!!!! Way to go Matt!!!

SpreadtheRed
November 30th, 2006, 11:02 PM
My bad on that whole UNI/NIU thing, I swear, im Dyslexic!!!

And check the media guide HERE (http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/ilsu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release) for the preseason rankings, Northern Iowa, Youngstown, ISU. 1,2,3 (Page 11 to be exact). Not my fault if thats wrong :)

I just checked it in 3 places, and the Gateway Preseason Poll Reads as follows:

Team (first-place votes)... Points
1. UNI (22) ... 239
2. Youngstown State (7)... 208
3. Illinois State (2)... 190
4. Southern Illinois ... 160
5. Western Kentucky (1)... 141
6. Western Illinois ... 103
7. Missouri State ... 79
8. Indiana State... 32

ISUMatt
November 30th, 2006, 11:37 PM
My bad on that whole UNI/NIU thing, I swear, im Dyslexic!!!

And check the media guide HERE (http://www.cstv.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/ilsu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release) for the preseason rankings, Northern Iowa, Youngstown, ISU. 1,2,3 (Page 11 to be exact). Not my fault if thats wrong :)

I just checked it in 3 places, and the Gateway Preseason Poll Reads as follows:

Team (first-place votes)... Points
1. UNI (22) ... 239
2. Youngstown State (7)... 208
3. Illinois State (2)... 190
4. Southern Illinois ... 160
5. Western Kentucky (1)... 141
6. Western Illinois ... 103
7. Missouri State ... 79
8. Indiana State... 32

I know but for accuracy, check out I-AA.org Football Preview, they hit the nail on the head...

1. YSU
2. ISU
3. UNI

ISUMatt
November 30th, 2006, 11:37 PM
Im thinkin' bout hitting up the PUB II for the game! Hopefully there's a huge crowd!

Get their early, you know the Illinois Arizona game is on at the same time and the Illini fans will pack the place!

SpreadtheRed
November 30th, 2006, 11:39 PM
Is the Pub for sure gonna have the game on? Do they have Gameplan?

SpreadtheRed
November 30th, 2006, 11:41 PM
Ohhh and sorry to do this to you Matt, but right off the I-aa.org website!
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=79752

HLecter
December 1st, 2006, 12:15 AM
Can you do the same for me Mr. D......
BTW: What are your thoughts on those streamers LMFAO.xlolx xlolx xlolx

Yeah Fly, I'll tell them.....

You read the streamers post huh?? I can't believe I did that! I'm usually so well-behaved.:o

HLecter
December 1st, 2006, 12:17 AM

I hope the wind is blowing about 30-50 mph

I'll take my chances with our run game against their run d

HLecter
December 1st, 2006, 12:19 AM
LMAO!!!!!

I'll have the case,,,,you have to drink it before the game,,,,Solo

Mudbird1
December 1st, 2006, 12:23 AM
Is the Pub for sure gonna have the game on? Do they have Gameplan?
I dont know for 100% sure. I know Elroys does for sure (or rather Ive been assured they do by friends), but I am calling the PUB tomorrow to find out! I mean I'd be all about the Bone if they served Beer! :)

SpreadtheRed
December 1st, 2006, 12:31 AM
I dont know for 100% sure. I know Elroys does for sure (or rather Ive been assured they do by friends), but I am calling the PUB tomorrow to find out! I mean I'd be all about the Bone if they served Beer! :)

They are having a cash bar. Yeah I planned on calling the Pub tomorrow as well, ill post on here regardless to let people know. If they say no, im calling Elroys. The BSC (Bone Student Center, not BIG SKY) is kind of my last resort, im guessing its gonna be one of those $6 a beer type things at the cash bar.

Redbird Fan 21
December 1st, 2006, 12:42 AM
Ya to my understanding ISU is flying a charter flight out of some small airport NEAR the Big Bloomtington Airport, but not out of it... that would be interesting if the flight could not get up and have to bus is or something and possibly miss a walk through- assuming they have in on Friday...

O well good luck to both teams...

to answer somebody question eariler... ISU is relativley healthy and Laurent is at 100% according to local reports i have been hearing... only bumps and bruises have been reported but nothing big unless i missed an article about it...

GoGuins
December 1st, 2006, 08:02 AM
HORRIBLE NEWS.

Illinois State @ Youngstown State

TV: MY-YTV [Good thing is not many people get this, bad thing is half of Mahoning County does get it]

About the same about of tix sold at this time this week compared to last week... Regardless.... It will be packed Saturday!

Ticket sales are below what they were this time last week & you still think it will be packed? Are you expecting a 10k walk up crowd day of game?

We all know there was more than 11k there last week but I think that's what you'll see in the seats Sat. Hope I'm wrong.

I saw the game was on MYYTV, I have Time Warner and it said on the news that it's channel 534 or something like that. I haven't checked if I get that yet.

castoff
December 1st, 2006, 09:20 AM
Sadly, some of those losses to (and both wins against) YSU were when Klacik was YSU's O-Coordinator. If you don't know who he is, he's the only guy who would run it up the middle when the D has 10 or 11 men in the box. WKU and WIU have been better than YSU most of the years when Denver was coach.

For those of you who don't know; Klacik is now the head coach of Lock Haven State University (Pa). They ended their season at 2-9.

I enjoyed your comment about him being the only coach who would run the ball against a 10 or 11 man box. However, one thing he did have when YSU really pounded the ball (Smith and Clark) was a huge offensive line.

Here's some food for thought. You have to wonder what type of offensive plays he would have called when the Quins got behind 31-20?

redbirdtim
December 1st, 2006, 09:27 AM
If we did have to bus out there, I'd be in favor of playing the YSU game, including highlighting the plays where we just got creamed on the line. Then, you follow with a highlight tape of our best playing to show what we're capable of. No excuses for losing the game to YSU, they beat us soundly, but I know we can play a much, much better game this time around. That might fire our guys up nicely.

Mudbird1
December 1st, 2006, 10:30 AM
If we did have to bus out there, I'd be in favor of playing the YSU game, including highlighting the plays where we just got creamed on the line. Then, you follow with a highlight tape of our best playing to show what we're capable of. No excuses for losing the game to YSU, they beat us soundly, but I know we can play a much, much better game this time around. That might fire our guys up nicely.

Haha, no question! I think you should also throw Remember the Titans in there just for that feel-good motivation moment too.

SpreadtheRed
December 1st, 2006, 10:44 AM
Fan buses from ISU to YSU CANCELLED. I dont know if the team is gonna make it out there?!?! :)

GoGuins
December 1st, 2006, 11:01 AM
Fan buses from ISU to YSU CANCELLED. I dont know if the team is gonna make it out there?!?! :)

That sucks! Guess you guys have to forfeit:D Next!

BillLuc1982
December 1st, 2006, 11:03 AM
Stupid myYTV

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2006, 11:05 AM
That sucks that the fan buses won't make it. We didn't get any bad weather up here. My sister's bf goes to Il St and said you guys got some pretty nasty weather down there. Hope it doesn' effect the teams travels. Should be a good game if both teams play like they can.

GoGuins
December 1st, 2006, 11:26 AM
Good! Only thing I want to see TV carry is a tape delay :)

Wrong! It's being carried live on MyYTV. Time Warner channel 534 and also on Armstrong (don't know the channel)

HLecter
December 1st, 2006, 11:34 AM

I fully expect that you guys will play MUCH better,,,,and I know the coaches and team does also.

Should be a really good game,,,hope the weather, especially the wind, doesn't play a big factor.

GoGuins
December 1st, 2006, 11:43 AM
I wonder if YSU will bring back that read/option play that Zetts ran so well the first time, that he got his 100+ yds rushing

HLecter
December 1st, 2006, 11:48 AM
I wonder if YSU will bring back that read/option play that Zetts ran so well the first time, that he got his 100+ yds rushing

I wouldn't count on that....ILS too aware this time,,,and I'll be honest I don't want Zetts running the ball.

Does make them prepare for something else though.

Paladin1aa
December 1st, 2006, 12:02 PM
Just like the JMU game, look for some more new wrinkles. JMU was caught off guard. So will ILS.

Wright has his bag of tricks open !! xlolx

BillLuc1982
December 1st, 2006, 12:41 PM
I wonder if Bishop can throw at all.

redbirdtim
December 1st, 2006, 02:03 PM
I think the Birds will have Stewart spying on Zetts making sure he doesn't burn us on the ground. With the weather the way it is, I think you'll see both teams stack the box. This one has the potential to be affected by a huge pass or a huge fumble recovery. Look for this to be an all-out battle between two solid teams. YSU t ook the first battle handily, but I expect this one to be very competitive.

ISUMatt
December 1st, 2006, 02:29 PM
Ohhh and sorry to do this to you Matt, but right off the I-aa.org website!
http://www.i-aa.org/article.asp?articleid=79752

FOR THE LAST TIME SINCE YOU REUSE TO READ WHAT I WRITE...

THE I-AA.ORG MAGAZINE 2006 FALL PREVIEW PICKED...
#1 YSU
#2 ISU
#3 UNI

ITS ON PAGE 32 OF THE MAGAZINE

You keep posting the Gateway Media Poll, Im not talking about that!!
The MAGAZINE was MUCH MORE ACCURRATE!!!

ISUMatt
December 1st, 2006, 02:30 PM
That sucks that the fan buses won't make it. We didn't get any bad weather up here. My sister's bf goes to Il St and said you guys got some pretty nasty weather down there. Hope it doesn' effect the teams travels. Should be a good game if both teams play like they can.

Chicagoland area got hit with 12 inches of snow in 4-5 hours!!!

FlyYtown
December 1st, 2006, 02:33 PM
Ticket sales are below what they were this time last week & you still think it will be packed? Are you expecting a 10k walk up crowd day of game?

No GoGuins.. They are ahead of last week at this point, but still after 4000 on the first day, the other days have been slower..

GoGuins
December 1st, 2006, 02:35 PM
Chicagoland area got hit with 12 inches of snow in 4-5 hours!!!

Weather is changing quick here in Ytown. When I got to work this a.m. it was 62 deg with rain throughout the morning. Now it's 43 deg, high winds (30-40 mph), and snow expected by early evening

Mudbird1
December 1st, 2006, 03:41 PM
My buddy and the team are in the air I believe ... here's hoping for a safe flight!

ISUMatt
December 1st, 2006, 05:48 PM
YSUs ONLY home playoff loss was in 1990. They were 11-0 and no one thought they would lose...except Gene McDowell and his Central Florida Knights...well everyone again seems to think they wont lose so heres hoping we repeat history 16 years later and stun the 'Guins...1990 or 2006?? Ill call the same score...

Illinois State 20
Youngstown State 17

FlyYtown
December 1st, 2006, 07:17 PM
YSUs ONLY home playoff loss was in 1990. They were 11-0 and no one thought they would lose...except Gene McDowell and his Central Florida Knights...well everyone again seems to think they wont lose so heres hoping we repeat history 16 years later and stun the 'Guins...1990 or 2006?? Ill call the same score...

Illinois State 20
Youngstown State 17
That was also the first home playoff game, a game UCF won on a Last Second Field---you can see it on YouTube!

Weather Tomorrow will be 30 degrees at kickoff with 12-18 mph winds; those winds aren't anywhere close to the 35 mph winds we have today with gusts over 55!

SpreadtheRed
December 1st, 2006, 10:32 PM
FOR THE LAST TIME SINCE YOU REUSE TO READ WHAT I WRITE...

THE I-AA.ORG MAGAZINE 2006 FALL PREVIEW PICKED...
#1 YSU
#2 ISU
#3 UNI

ITS ON PAGE 32 OF THE MAGAZINE

You keep posting the Gateway Media Poll, Im not talking about that!!
The MAGAZINE was MUCH MORE ACCURRATE!!!

Wow, sorry I missed that one preseason poll written by the writers of Iaa.org, and I went with the more widely known poll. My bad, I was just reporting what the ISU media guide reported, and im sorry I didnt notice you said the Magazine preview, not just the ones reported all over their site. SORRY.

Enough of this, its and hour and a half (half hour for you YSU fans) until gameday. GO BIRDS!

BDK@YSU
December 2nd, 2006, 11:33 AM
How has this slipped off the front page? GAMEDAY!

weather.com showing the 6 p.m. Eastern (5 p.m. for you Central heathens ; ) ) kickoff temperature to be about 32 deg F with 7 mph winds.

It's good to be playing football in December. GO YSU

FlyYtown
December 2nd, 2006, 12:12 PM
go penguins!
Like Last Week.. eGuins will have a ton of photos and video of today's game.... I just hope we win... I am not feeling so good, but I will NEVER miss a game!

GO GUINS BABY!