BigApp
November 25th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Discuss :)

Umass74
November 25th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Oy.

jennifer03878
November 25th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Much as I hate to say it, I just don't see UNH being able to beat UMASS. From what I saw of the their game today, they are solid top to bottom, but you never know.

Let's put it this way, I would be thrilled to see the Cats pull the win out, but I won't be overly shocked if they lost. Either way it should be a good game.

McUMass
November 25th, 2006, 08:07 PM
I'll never count out UNH with that offense... UMass looked great today, but as Tubby Raymond mentioned on our message board, if we play like we did today a team like UNH can and will beat us.

Sam Adams
November 25th, 2006, 08:23 PM
This is gonna be HUGE !!!!

89Hen
November 25th, 2006, 08:26 PM
After complaining about the whining from the JMU, UNI, Montana... fans about pairings, hosting, selection... :o I do have to say it's a shame that these two A10 teams have to meet in the second round. They were inconsistent in the "regionalization" IMO. Same for FU-ASU had the Purple Knights won and ISU-YSU could meet. Just flip the non-seeded games within each half and no conference would have met their own until the semis.

Peems
November 25th, 2006, 08:31 PM
After complaining about the whining from the JMU, UNI, Montana... fans about pairings, hosting, selection... :o I do have to say it's a shame that these two A10 teams have to meet in the second round. They were inconsistent in the "regionalization" IMO. Same for FU-ASU had the Purple Knights won and ISU-YSU could meet. Just flip the non-seeded games within each half and no conference would have met their own until the semis.

i didnt know we were complaining? i mean we are the two seed with home field throughout, nothing to complain about at all.

grizbeer
November 25th, 2006, 08:37 PM
After complaining about the whining from the JMU, UNI, Montana... fans about pairings, hosting, selection... :o I do have to say it's a shame that these two A10 teams have to meet in the second round. They were inconsistent in the "regionalization" IMO. Same for FU-ASU had the Purple Knights won and ISU-YSU could meet. Just flip the non-seeded games within each half and no conference would have met their own until the semis.I don't remember Montana fans whining this year - I think griz fans were very happy with the #2 seed, and our best friends from McNeese coming. We would love to see NH come back for another night game, one of the best playoff games in WA-Griz history.

If Griz fans were whining about the pairings shame on us, might have just been jitters, I think the Griz were treated very fairly this year.

UNHWildCats
November 25th, 2006, 09:13 PM
I'll never count out UNH with that offense... UMass looked great today, but as Tubby Raymond mentioned on our message board, if we play like we did today a team like UNH can and will beat us.

I look forward to discussion this week with you, as opposed to some UMass fans who seem to think they dont even need to play the game and write there ticket to the semi's.

blackfordpu
November 25th, 2006, 09:53 PM
Gonna be a hell of a game! :nod:

McUMass
November 25th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I look forward to discussion this week with you, as opposed to some UMass fans who seem to think they dont even need to play the game and write there ticket to the semi's.

Thats why I do more lurking than talking... don't get me wrong, I think we have the horses to win (as we did in Durham), but Ive seen too much UMass football to look past anyone (See: Hofstra last season).

Either way, should be a classic. I hope it ends up on ESPN2, they did a helluva job today with the YSU/JMU game.

I'm also warily rooting for Montana. If the planets align and we end up in Wash-Griz, Im driving there from Colorado with some friends. :nod:

DrG
November 25th, 2006, 10:27 PM
Not sure who you're talking about. Any UMass fan who was in Durham and stayed until the end wouldn't say that. Looking forward to a great game.

AZGrizFan
November 25th, 2006, 10:30 PM

Hen, you know not of what you speak. UNI and JMU yes, UM--NO. What the HELL does UM have to complain about? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I think you meant Furman....;) ;) ;) ;)

WrenFGun
November 25th, 2006, 11:01 PM
Welp, this is what I wanted. I'll keep my smack to the smack talk board (but to make it clear, I'll ask it here...does Brandon London pull the crap he pulled at UNH everywhere?), but I think this will be a good game. The keys to victory for UNH will be three fold: keep the stupid plays to a minimum (no blocked punts, no fake punt failures, no screen passes on 4th and goal to the middle of the field), prevent Baylark from having the big play, and force those big WR's to outrun the little DB's. Coen was very impressive in UMass, and has fade routes to the end zone open ALL Day with his WR's. They're just much bigger than us, which means we must contain the run and force possession after possession reception from those big wideouts.

I like UMass's chance to win, but don't dismiss UNH as having a shot here.

AZGrizFan
November 25th, 2006, 11:25 PM
If there is a God, UMass gets their ass handed to them on a platter. I don't think I've ever cared so much about a game not involving the Griz.

Go UNH!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

McUMass
November 25th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Like i said, if UMass wins Im rooting for Montana... I have all my Maroon gear out here in the Rocky Mountains and would love to make the trip. Az, you rooting for UNH because you'd rather play them?

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 12:07 AM
Like i said, if UMass wins Im rooting for Montana... I have all my Maroon gear out here in the Rocky Mountains and would love to make the trip. Az, you rooting for UNH because you'd rather play them?

No. Only because you're the rare exception for a UMass fan. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :p

Bub89
November 26th, 2006, 07:57 AM
AZGRIZFAN, there are lots of UMass fans who are not cocky and obnoxious. Don't hate UMass just because of a few (you know who I'm referring to) idiots. They do not represent the average UMass fan. Go UMass!:thumbsup:

UNH_BLUE
November 26th, 2006, 08:07 AM
UNH needs to play flawlessly to beat UMass. First and foremost, they gotta protect Santos. They also need to establish the run and stick to it. UNH has been too one-dimensional and teams are blitzing like mad and forcing Santos out of the pocket quickly and sacking him far too often.

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 08:13 AM
I thought New Hampshire played very poorly in its first game with UMass (obviously some of this was because of the Minutemen, but there were a ton of dropped passes, dumb penalties and correctable stuff). If not for Ricky Santos, the game would have been a rout. But as badly as UNH played that day, they still had a chance to force overtime in the final seconds. Historically, teams that lose the first game of rematches win more often than they lose in second encounters (which I'm sure scares UMass about this game). You also have the possibily of that UNH offense getting on a roll. The Wildcats are probably one of the few playoffs team that could hurt that good UMass defense. The other side of things is the game is being played at Amherst, which obviously is a big plus for UMass (even though UNH often times is a better road team that home team — maybe they like that they don't have to play at the worst stadium in the FCS). Steve Baylark had a great game Saturday and figures to gain yardage against a not-so-good Wildcat defense. I also thought that UMass had a big advantage with its receivers against the UNH secondary. I also like Coen's poise and arm and his ability to avoid sacks and turnovers. He has really developed this season and the Minutemen have to be pleased to have him back for two more years. The key for UNH this time is to get off to a better start and avoid turnovers. The key for UMass is to not get too content if it gets a lead and to keep scoring points. I've seen UMass have a few letdowns for stretches of games that would concern me. I honestly think whoever wins this game has an excellent chance to beat Montana, or Southern Illinois and go on to the championship game. This should be another great game like the JMU-YSU, SIU-UTM and UNH-Hampton games were yesterday. Looking forward to watching it.

Sam Adams
November 26th, 2006, 08:24 AM
No. Only because you're the rare exception for a UMass fan. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :p

Its clueless comments like this from AZGriz that just make me laugh. If you want to root for UNH go for it - but at least have a clue when it comes to talking about UMass Football Fans. C'mon out for a tailgate before you launch into some idiotic tirade based on your perceptions from an internet message board. xidiotx

Mr. C
November 26th, 2006, 08:24 AM

The committee has been pretty consistent about designing possible conference matchups in the quarterfinals since they went to this silly system in 2001. I know that Appalachian State played Georgia Southern in the second round (after beating William & Mary) that year and Furman was Georgia Southern's semifinal opponent. In 2002, ASU was facing another trip to Statesboro when it played a rotten fourth quarter and got beaten by Maine 14-13 (the last home loss at KBS before the 25-game winning streak). I know in 2003 that you had Delaware and William & Mary facing off again in the quarters (I can still these all of those Delaware posts, pleading for the Hens to just run the ball in the fourth quarter) and JMU going to Williamsburg for the semifinals. The Gateway would have had a few more of those matchups if not for so many first and second round losses by Gateway teams over the years. I wonder if th committee just wants to get rid of some of these matchups as early as possible in the playoffs. I'd rather see teams spread out, so you avoid rematches unless absolutely possible. Of seeding teams from 1 to 16 is the best thing they could do.

I too grew tired of all of JMU-UNI crying last week. Glad that we will have a little more reasoned discussion (hopefully) the rest of the way.

Interesting new avatar, BTW.

yorkcountyUNHfan
November 26th, 2006, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=WrenFGun]Welp, this is what I wanted. I'll keep my smack to the smack talk board (but to make it clear, I'll ask it here...does Brandon London pull the crap he pulled at UNH everywhere?), but I think this will be a good game. The keys to victory for UNH will be three fold: keep the stupid plays to a minimum (no blocked punts, no fake punt failures,

News Flash....Fake punts are only good plays when they work!

Proud Griz Man
November 26th, 2006, 10:25 AM

:confused: :confused: :confused:
Montana whining? We got a 2 seeding and home game against McNeese so I doubt you heard much whining.

McUMass
November 26th, 2006, 11:13 AM

Most UMass fans are awesome... they just happen to be from Massachusetts and are damn proud of it (Massholes, I love em). Either way, I cant wait for next weekend. I wish I could be in Amherst for the game, then stop at Antonios and Charlies afterwards... in that order.

I dont know if other UM fans are feeling good... but with bball at 5-1, hockey doing well (aside from that damn loss to Union), and women's hoops undefeated so far, it has been a great year to be a Minuteman so far. :thumbsup:

GreatAppSt
November 26th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I think we have the horses to win (as we did in Durham),

Don't think so. According to the UMass fans this thing is merely a walkthrough drill for UMass since, they are invincible in Durham and, UNH sucks and cannot possibly be competative with UMASS.

Seems like a done deal. The Wildcats should just stay home.

Peems
November 26th, 2006, 06:43 PM
Most UMass fans are awesome... they just happen to be from Massachusetts and are damn proud of it (Massholes, I love em). Either way, I cant wait for next weekend. I wish I could be in Amherst for the game, then stop at Antonios and Charlies afterwards... in that order.

I dont know if other UM fans are feeling good... but with bball at 5-1, hockey doing well (aside from that damn loss to Union), and women's hoops undefeated so far, it has been a great year to be a Minuteman so far. :thumbsup:

question: what do they call the women's basketball team?

the minutewomen?

UNHWILDCATS05
November 26th, 2006, 06:46 PM
Hey UMASS fans,
Really looking forward to Saturday and making my first trip out to Amherst. Location is great for a ton of UNH fans to also make the trip... Just was wondering what the tailgating situation was at UMASS these days... I know it had been banned a couple times in UMASS's history, but I heard it is back in full swing now... Just looking for info such as where can you tailgate, what time can you start, any good bars for before/after the game.. that kind of stuff... I look forward to getting any information I can and thanks in advance...

Zangzigger
November 26th, 2006, 06:51 PM
According to the UMass fans this thing is merely a walkthrough drill for UMass since, they are invincible in Durham and, UNH sucks and cannot possibly be competative with UMASS.

Where did anybody say this?

Umass74
November 26th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Don't think so. According to the UMass fans this thing is merely a walkthrough drill for UMass since, they are invincible in Durham and, UNH sucks and cannot possibly be competative with UMASS.

That's crap. Nobody has said anything like that. Everybody expects another A10 Tong War.

UMass922
November 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM

Huh? McUMass said "I think we have the horses to win (as we did in Durham)." How you interpret that as a cocky statement dismissive of UNH is beyond me. I re-read through this thread and I don't see a single comment from a UMass fan that even remotely resembles a dismissive, disrespectful attitude toward UNH. I know there are a few UMass fans who have a reputation for saying homerish things on this board, but in this case you're really reaching.

Umass74
November 26th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Hey UMASS fans,
Really looking forward to Saturday and making my first trip out to Amherst. Location is great for a ton of UNH fans to also make the trip... Just was wondering what the tailgating situation was at UMASS these days... I know it had been banned a couple times in UMASS's history, but I heard it is back in full swing now... Just looking for info such as where can you tailgate, what time can you start, any good bars for before/after the game.. that kind of stuff... I look forward to getting any information I can and thanks in advance...

Yes, you can tailgate. Most people setup on the lawn areas adjacent to the parking. Lots of people are tailgating.

Near the stadium is Rafters (http://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial_s&hl=en&q=rafters+amherst+ma&btnG=Google+Search).

A good sports bar. Welcome. Stadium seats may be tough to get---- call early!

UNHFan99
November 26th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Im getting my tickets tommorrow. this game is going to be one to remember.

HiHiYikas
November 26th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Where did anybody say this?
It's in the "Second-Round Walk-Through" thread, which by now must be full of UMass and App State posts.

Grizo406
November 26th, 2006, 08:36 PM
If the planets align and we end up in Wash-Griz...

The planets completed their first phase of re-alignment on 18 November, and things seem to be proceeding nicely.

UMass, or UNH, I really don't care, but I would like us to play against a healthy David Ball. Hopefully that comes later, now I'm worried about Whitlock, and SIU.

blukeys
November 26th, 2006, 09:06 PM
I know in 2003 that you had Delaware and William & Mary facing off again in the quarters (I can still these all of those Delaware posts, pleading for the Hens to just run the ball in the fourth quarter) and JMU going to Williamsburg for the semifinals.

That game was in 2004 not '03 and yes William and Mary never came close to stopping Omar Cuff that day. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

McUMass
November 26th, 2006, 11:26 PM
question: what do they call the women's basketball team?

the minutewomen?

Yeah, all of our women's programs are called the minutewomen.

smallcollegefbfan
November 26th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Im getting my tickets tommorrow. this game is going to be one to remember.

I agree. Is it going to be on TV? I saw that the Illinois State and Appy games will be on TV.

November 27th, 2006, 12:17 AM
I agree. Is it going to be on TV? I saw that the Illinois State and Appy games will be on TV.all of them are:
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17178

Zangzigger
November 27th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Does UNH have a message board? I briefly looked on google but I couldn't find anything.

Here's a link to the UMass message board if anybody is interested: http://umasshoops.com/board/index.htm

saint0917
November 27th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Good edit job, try reading the whole post.

Thats why I do more lurking than talking... don't get me wrong, I think we have the horses to win (as we did in Durham), but Ive seen too much UMass football to look past anyone (See: Hofstra last season). :rolleyes:

wildcat_fan
November 27th, 2006, 08:01 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that UNH will rally and pull this game out. I have purposefully withheld comment on big games in the past and it hasn't done me any good, so maybe a change up is good. Besides, the game will not be on "free" cable. Because I can't watch it, they will win. Happens all the time ;)

Kosty
November 27th, 2006, 08:08 AM
This game can go either way in my opinion. Ball and Santos are talented but so are Coen and Baylark and London. The D's on both teams are REALLY good. If it comes down to the kicking game, I'd have to give an edge to UMass. Either way, this should go down as the best game of the playoffs so far.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 27th, 2006, 08:09 AM
UNH doesn't really have one all purpose message board. The hockey fans hang out on the USCHO Forum and the basketball fans hang out on the America East Forum. Despite being a basketball message board, the AE Forum is kind of a de facto all sports forum for UNH. But this site is the primary one where UNH folks talk about football. There is a CAA Forum, but not many UNH folks frequent that site for A10/CAA Football talk.

America East Basketball Forum (http://www.basketballboards.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=78)

saint0917
November 27th, 2006, 08:11 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that UNH will rally and pull this game out.

I wouldn't say your going out on a limb, UNH has a great team. It wouldn't surprise me if UNH wins. This is one rematch I didn't want to see happen. It should be a great game. :nod:

chiapet9
November 27th, 2006, 09:22 AM
i think revenge in the A-10 is sweet and UNH will be locked and loaded for Saturday's game. i believe if Santos is on, then UMass will have trouble defending him. the last time they played UNH spent more time with the ball and had way more yardage...Santos just needs to actually get the ball in the end-zone. UNH 31 - UMass 27

chiapet9
November 27th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Well, I guess if UMass is invincible in Durham, its a good thing for UNH that they're playing in AMHERST, MASSACHUSETTS.

UNH sucks and cannot possibly be competative with UMASS.

UMASS UNH

FIRST DOWNS................... 11 27
Rushing..................... 4 8
Passing..................... 7 16
Penalty..................... 0 3
NET YARDS RUSHING............. 101 58
Rushing Attempts............ 29 33
Average Per Rush............ 3.5 1.8
Yards Gained Rushing........ 109 113
Yards Lost Rushing.......... 8 55
NET YARDS PASSING............. 193 383
Completions-Attempts-Int.... 11-15-0 35-55-0
Average Per Attempt......... 12.9 7.0
Average Per Completion...... 17.5 10.9
TOTAL OFFENSE YARDS........... 294 441

yes, it is clear to me now. UNH sucks.xidiotx xidiotx

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 09:47 AM
I don't remember Montana fans whining this year
Beer, Peems and AZ.... I was referring to a couple Montana fans complaining about the A10 getting two "byes" by playing the MEAC and PL teams. :nod:

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 09:52 AM
The committee has been pretty consistent about designing possible conference matchups in the quarterfinals since they went to this silly system in 2001.
Not true.

2006 - Montana and Montana State would meet in the finals
2005 - Montana and EWU would have met in the semis
2004 - Montana and EWU would have met in the semis
2003 - Montana and NAU would have met in the semis and MSU was in the other bracket

I think you can see where I'm going with this. ;)

And yup, even though UMass and UNH are still going, I'm ready for the CAA! :hurray:

napkinn
November 27th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Antonios is good, but I'm a DP Dough kinda guy myself. Plus here in South Carolina, there are no Dunkin' Donuts. What I wouldn't give for a good Dunkin' Bagle toasted with cream cheese and a hot chocolate. Although I don't really need the hot chocolate in the South.

Umass74
November 27th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatAppSt

Well, I guess if UMass is invincible in Durham, its a good thing for UNH that they're playing in AMHERST, MASSACHUSETTS.

Quote:
UNH sucks and cannot possibly be competative with UMASS.

UMASS UNH

Chiapet9:

Again, this is bogus. No UMass fan (not even UMassfan) would say anything like this. Someone else is just trying to make trouble.

We've seen UNH more than anyone and we know how good the Wildcats are. The second game should be the best game of the second round of the playoffs.

Everyone on the UMass side expects a tough game. This is going to be like Packers-Bears games in the old "Black and Blue" NFC Central days...

rcny46
November 27th, 2006, 10:11 AM
I'm hoping that the injury situation isn't a factor when UNH takes on UMass saturday.The wildcats lost a starting DB and linebacker in the Hampton game.They don't exactly have a lot of depth on that side of the ball.The player whom I think is the most versatile on offense,Mike Boyle,has been nursing hamstring and ankle injuries all season and tried to give it a go last week,caught an 11 yard pass on the first UNH play from scrimmage,but couldn't continue playing.Things like this catch up with a team sooner or later.Maybe a week of healing will do the trick.

Col Hogan
November 27th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Any honest UMass fan who has seen or listened to their games this year can't think it's a clear shot to the semi's. Too inconsistent, too lucky. We'll take it, and hope they play up to their full potential this week.

Go UMASS!

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Any honest UMass fan
uhhh, nevermind. :p

UNHWildCats
November 27th, 2006, 10:47 AM
i created a message board recently. I tried moving it to my website but have had no luck. I sent private messages to everyone on here with a UNH screen name inviting them to it and I guess I shall again. Theres sections for all UNH sports as well as some professional sports in the region, I invite anyone to join and help the board grow and please pass the link along.

http://www.instantbulletin.com/forum/index.php?mforum=unhwildcats

chiapet9
November 27th, 2006, 11:08 AM
UMASS UNH

Chiapet9:

Again, this is bogus. No UMass fan (not even UMassfan) would say anything like this. Someone else is just trying to make trouble.

We've seen UNH more than anyone and we know how good the Wildcats are. The second game should be the best game of the second round of the playoffs.

Everyone on the UMass side expects a tough game. This is going to be like Packers-Bears games in the old "Black and Blue" NFC Central days...

UMASS74 - that was moreso directed at the App State fan who doesn't know what he's talking about. I'm positively certain that UMass is in no way dismissing UNH as an "easy win".

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 27th, 2006, 11:09 AM
To the winner of this game... take it to the house for the last season of A10 football!!! Let it go out with a bang!!!

UNH_BLUE
November 27th, 2006, 11:15 AM
I'm hoping that the injury situation isn't a factor when UNH takes on UMass saturday.The wildcats lost a starting DB and linebacker in the Hampton game.They don't exactly have a lot of depth on that side of the ball.The player whom I think is the most versatile on offense,Mike Boyle,has been nursing hamstring and ankle injuries all season and tried to give it a go last week,caught an 11 yard pass on the first UNH play from scrimmage,but couldn't continue playing.Things like this catch up with a team sooner or later.Maybe a week of healing will do the trick.

Isn't Baylark a little banged up too? Not sure with what though...

GannonFan
November 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM

Well, with a lot less defense and a lot more scoring. ;)

Maroon&White
November 27th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Isn't Baylark a little banged up too? Not sure with what though...

I believe it's just that, banged up, nothing too serious. He's a physical back so he will get beat up after playing 12 games. I can't expect him being banged up having much impact on the game. Take a look at a lot of games he's played in and he always comes off looking like he's hurt but is always playing the next week.

UNHknowledge
November 27th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Defense and Special Teams must improve for UNH to pull this out. Corey Graham being out takes big play potential away from both areas. Another major factor, like many have said, is to establish the RUN. Give Bobby Simpson the ball and he will pick up 3-4 yds a pop and never lose yardage. If we can mix up a couple solid drives with runs from Simpson and Kackert then Santos and Ball's magic will take care of the rest.

With this said, if the defense plays anything like it did against Hampton and 2nd half of Northeastern then this could be a field day for Baylark/Coen and Co.

Lastly, win the turnover battle CATS! 0 forced TO's against Hampton hurt us. UMass does make mistakes with silly turnovers and penalties, hopefully UNH can take advantage.

Final prediction: I can't do it, it's just too close to call. The good thing is the A10 will be in the semi's.

MinuteFan
November 27th, 2006, 12:14 PM
A lot of UNH fans are saying "establish the run". Nice cliched catch phrase, and as a UMass fan I hope that's the UNH game plan. UNH tried that in the first half last game with no success. UMass has stopped every running game they have faced this year, even holding Navy well below their average. UNH had success in the second half by spreading the field, running the hurry up offense, letting Santos create plays and tiring a UMass defense that could not mnake substitutions. That's UNH's strength. Was it successful because UMass played soft with a lead or because they can't handle that tempo? We'll find out Saturday. But trying to run on UMass will just be a waste of time.

Hope a lot of UNH fans make the drive out for what should be a classic!

GannonFan
November 27th, 2006, 01:50 PM
UMass has stopped every running game they have faced this year, even holding Navy well below their average.

Well, that's a bit of an overstatement - sure Navy had one of their lower total rushing days in terms of yards, but for a team that averaged 5.6 yards per carry for the season being held to 5.3 yards per carry by UMass wasn't exactly being "stopped" as you say. More of an impact was UMass's ability to control the clock and the ball in that game - UMass had a 7 minute advantage in TOP over Navy which is telling as I think it was the most lopsided TOP against Navy all year. Sure, some of that is the defense, but more importantly the offense did their part to stay on the field and limit the chances for Navy to touch the ball (only 58 plays for Navy in that game versus 66 for UMass).

WrenFGun
November 27th, 2006, 01:51 PM
Minuteman,

UNH tried to run the ball with Chris Ward inside (he's just not a big enough bruiser) and Chad Kackert to the outside (UMass appeared very fast on defense). Neither of those things worked, and as a result, we were repeatedly in 2nd and 3rd and long in the first half. In the second half, when we ran, we pounded it with Bobby Simpson, easily our best RB. Mixing up Simpson and the speedy Kackert is UNH's best bet for establishing any semblance of a running game.

As a UNH fan, however, I'm MUCH more concerned by the size of their WR's and the ability of Baylark to wear down the front 7 (or 6, since we essentially play at least 5 DB's at all times, and call Muji Karim a LB). If UNH can prevent UMass from having long drives and avoid idiotic turnovers and mistakes, they'll be in this game. If it's another series of failed punts and attempts to run the ball to no avail, then it will be ugly fast. No way UMass lets up like they did up in Durham in the playoffs.

Maroon&White
November 27th, 2006, 01:58 PM
Minuteman,

UNH tried to run the ball with Chris Ward inside (he's just not a big enough bruiser) and Chad Kackert to the outside (UMass appeared very fast on defense). Neither of those things worked, and as a result, we were repeatedly in 2nd and 3rd and long in the first half. In the second half, when we ran, we pounded it with Bobby Simpson, easily our best RB. Mixing up Simpson and the speedy Kackert is UNH's best bet for establishing any semblance of a running game.

Ward did not have a single rush vs. UMass last game. Kackert had 7 rushes for 6 yards. Simpson had 5 rushes for 6 yards. In the 5 UNH games I've seen in the past 2 seasons, Santos definitely looks like UNH's best rushing option.

ChickenMan
November 27th, 2006, 02:20 PM
UNH/UMass a 2:30 kickoff... are there lights at McGuirk or are temps being brought in?

WrenFGun
November 27th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Ward did not have a single rush vs. UMass last game. Kackert had 7 rushes for 6 yards. Simpson had 5 rushes for 6 yards. In the 5 UNH games I've seen in the past 2 seasons, Santos definitely looks like UNH's best rushing option.

I'm rather sadly mistaken, then. It at least SEEMED we had more success with Simpson, and the Ward assumption was merely based on the fact that he can't seem to run it against anyone. He looks to be our best RB at the position, but for some reason, he simply hasn't gotten it done.

That said, in theory, our best option is Bobby Simpson, with Kackert being used in a passing game or misdirection play, only. The more Matt O'Brien and Bobby Simpson, the better.

Umass74
November 27th, 2006, 03:00 PM
UNH/UMass a 2:30 kickoff... are there lights at McGuirk or are temps being brought in?

No lights at McGuirk yet. ESPN is bringing lights for the game. Should be a great atmosphere if the weather cooperates.

KAUMASS
November 27th, 2006, 03:15 PM

You can never count New Hampshire out of a game, no matter what the score. I believe UNH had a better all around team last year after watching this year's and last year's game. Umass has the better all around team this year. It should be a barn burner. Umass by 7. Predection based upon defenses, and current depth.:bang:

GoCats90
November 27th, 2006, 05:23 PM
With all due respect, UNHKnowledge, Coach Sean tried to establish the run last time and show that this 'Cats team is more than just Ricky and it was abysmal. It was not until they let Ricky do his thing that the game got close again.

I sat on the visitors side last time in the middle of a bunch of UMass fans and I have to tell you, they brought it to Durham. I heard that damned 'Go. Go U. Go UMass.' chant in my sleep that night. If 'Cats fans can represent half as well as the Minutemen did, we will do UNH proud.

UNH_BLUE
November 27th, 2006, 05:48 PM
I'm rather sadly mistaken, then. It at least SEEMED we had more success with Simpson....

UNH did have success w/ Simpson against UMass, just not out of the backfield. He had 5 receptions for 41 yards w/ a long of 16.

Simpson is definitly getting better every week. He might be the go-to-guy in the backfield against the Minutemen.

FightMass
November 27th, 2006, 06:12 PM
I've got a sneaking suspicion that there will be thousands of NH fans there this saturday.

UNH_BLUE
November 27th, 2006, 06:14 PM
I've got a sneaking suspicion that there will be thousands of NH fans there this saturday.

Let's hope so. Is the game on ESPN2? If so, live or tape delayed?

FightMass
November 27th, 2006, 06:28 PM
Let's hope so. Is the game on ESPN2? If so, live or tape delayed?
UMass website says it's on ESPN syndication to be carried on a local channel TBA. i hope i get to watch! :-/

KAUMASS
November 27th, 2006, 06:59 PM
UMass must be bringing in lights for a 2:30 start? This year, UMass has the better all around team. Last year, I would say New Hampshire after seeing both games. We welcome all New Hampshire fans and watch out Montana fans..if you do beat Southern, I would not want to play either UMass or New Hampshire. Game of the year in New England, and that includes BC and UConn. Go UM and A-10!!

Sam Adams
November 27th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Definately the New England College Football Game of the Year. Probably the New England College Football game of the Decade. UConn or BC don't even come close. Should be a great one.

UNHFan99
November 27th, 2006, 07:08 PM
UNH has reserved 2,000 regular tickets and they go on sale tommorrow. There are also 1000 tickets reserved for UNH students. Im expecting more than that though. There is alot of buzz around NH about this game and the whole state is behind this team.

KAUMASS
November 27th, 2006, 07:30 PM
UNHfan99,
Should be close to a packed house..bring some nice weather down from New Hampshire, and please leave Mr. Santos in Durham. Seeing that guy two times in 1 year is 2 times too many. You guys have great fans.. Should be fun to watch..

FightMass
November 27th, 2006, 07:50 PM
UMass must be bringing in lights for a 2:30 start? This year, UMass has the better all around team. Last year, I would say New Hampshire after seeing both games. We welcome all New Hampshire fans and watch out Montana fans..if you do beat Southern, I would not want to play either UMass or New Hampshire. Game of the year in New England, and that includes BC and UConn. Go UM and A-10!!
ESPN is providing the lights.

umassfan
November 27th, 2006, 07:52 PM
If UNH brings 2000+.... this game will be sold out easy. UMass has a big basketball game vs BC later that night. It will be the first ever Leaman Legacy Game. UMass should have a packed house under the sun/lights.

UNHFan99
November 27th, 2006, 07:56 PM
My understanding is that Umass's fans were chanting "We Want Santos" after their game last week. That is the rumor going around campus. I think you guys are going to see a much different team and hopefully different playcalling than you saw earlier in the season. And you will definitelly get a chance to see Ricky. He is the best competitor I have ever been around and when he is pissed you cant beat him.This really is the biggest game in New England in a while. I cant wait.

umassfan
November 27th, 2006, 07:59 PM
My understanding is that Umass's fans were chanting "We Want Santos" after their game last week. That is the rumor going around campus. I think you guys are going to see a much different team and hopefully different playcalling than you saw earlier in the season. And you will definitelly get a chance to see Ricky. He is the best competitor I have ever been around and when he is pissed you cant beat him.This really is the biggest game in New England in a while. I cant wait.
I think that is a rumor started by unh people to fire up unh players.

umassfan
November 27th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Somewhere is was posted that a starting CB and LBer for UNH went down injured sat... Who were they?

WrenFGun
November 27th, 2006, 10:49 PM
I believe Christian Callison got hurt last game...he was a backup getting more time with Graham out. I hadn't heard of any other injuries, though.

GeeWiz
November 27th, 2006, 11:24 PM
I really don't like either team - but if I have to pick one I have to go with UNH.

Don't want to see Benedict Brown win a title to be honest.

Go 'Cats!

appman87
November 27th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Looks to be a great game. Good Luck UNH.

rcny46
November 27th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Somewhere is was posted that a starting CB and LBer for UNH went down injured sat... Who were they?

Christian Callison (already mentioned by another poster) and Muji Karim.

Maroon&White
November 27th, 2006, 11:45 PM
I really don't like either team - but if I have to pick one I have to go with UNH.

Don't want to see Benedict Brown win a title to be honest.

Go 'Cats!

GeeWiz, why should Murray have been first team over Casey?

And if you really don't like Brown, you might want to take that 2002 A10 champions down.

AZGrizFan
November 27th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Its clueless comments like this from AZGriz that just make me laugh. If you want to root for UNH go for it - but at least have a clue when it comes to talking about UMass Football Fans. C'mon out for a tailgate before you launch into some idiotic tirade based on your perceptions from an internet message board. xidiotx

And having never made the trip out to a UMass tailgate, what ELSE should I base my perception on but the idiotic/homerish/wacked/biased comments made by a lot of UMass fans on an internet message board?

Perhaps I should just amend my statement to say he's "the rare exception for a UMass fan posting on AGS".

And, hey....if the shoe doesn't fit you, then the comment wasn't directed at you. Then again, with THAT idiotic tirade above (much like Clinton's response to Chris Wallace), as the saying goes "me thinketh thou doth protesteth too much." :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

umassfan
November 27th, 2006, 11:54 PM
Christian Callison (already mentioned by another poster) and Muji Karim.
Any idea what their injuries were? and their status for sat?

November 28th, 2006, 12:10 AM
I keep forgetting... whom do I hate in this matchup? :)

November 28th, 2006, 12:15 AM
... like Clinton's response to Chris Wallace...Clinton plowed that homer under so bad that Fox has never recovered. Chris crapped his pants and then he peed them!! Are you saying your fave team will do the same as Chris?????

and can we leave politics off this board?

rcny46
November 28th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Any idea what their injuries were? and their status for sat?

Callison has a shoulder injury,and Karim is on crutches with some sort of foot problem he sustained in the Hampton game.I got this info from someone in the football office,but they didn't want to speculate as to their availability for the game saturday.I'll try again tomorrow,and also check a couple of area papers to see what's up.The player who replaced Callison in the secondary ended up with 8 tackles-two for a loss- in the time he was in.

BigSkyGrizGano
November 28th, 2006, 12:25 AM
I'm not sure, as a Griz Fan, who I want to win. I don't paricularly want to give Ball and Santos another chance in WA griz, but at the same time UMASS looks pretty tough. Neither team would be influenced by the cold weather, although UMASS would be more prone to the noise at WA- Griz. I gonna root for UMASS just so we can have a shot to prove that we were deserving of the 2 seed. This is of course if we don't stumble against SIU.

umassfan
November 28th, 2006, 01:39 AM
I'm not sure, as a Griz Fan, who I want to win. I don't paricularly want to give Ball and Santos another chance in WA griz, but at the same time UMASS looks pretty tough. Neither team would be influenced by the cold weather, although UMASS would be more prone to the noise at WA- Griz. I gonna root for UMASS just so we can have a shot to prove that we were deserving of the 2 seed. This is of course if we don't stumble against SIU.
Why would we be more prone to noise?

Sam Adams
November 28th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Interesting to hear the Griz fans looking past SIU. In case you haven't heard, Arkee Whitlock is one helluva a running back. I would worry more about stopping the Salukis then UNH/UMASS.

Tribe4SF
November 28th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Having now seen both teams this year, I think UMass has to be given the edge going in. Santos will need to be in top form for the Wildcats to win because I just don't see their ground game having much success. At this level, speed and depth are usually the telling factors, and UMass has an edge in both those categories. On the flip side, beating a good team twice is tough to pull off.

UNH 40
November 28th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I believe Christian Callison got hurt last game...he was a backup getting more time with Graham out. I hadn't heard of any other injuries, though.

Wrong, Christian Callison is the starting outside linebacker for this football team. He has been hampered all season with a bad shoulder problem, and he has missed many games because of it. He is a key cog for the UNH run defense, in the games that he has played in the UNH run defense has been far superior than in games when he doesn't play. If he doesn't play then A.J. Snook will take his place, he played great in his absence this past week. Will Morey is taking the place of Corey Graham at cornerback and has done a really nice job. If Hussain Karim is hurt than that would be a huge loss for this D, I think that he has played at an all conference level this year, losing him and Callison in a week where stopping a great running back is so important, would be a huge concern.

Sam Adams
November 28th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Injuries are part of the game. Both sides are banged up after playing 12 games. I think we'll see a high spirited game and UMass will definately be looking to establish Baylark early. I'm sure that UNH will field a defense that will try their best to force UMass to beat them through the air. Should be interesting.

WrenFGun
November 28th, 2006, 08:01 AM
UNH 40,

I guess I hadn't noticed. I know I saw a lot of Terrell Everett lining up at LB, so I figured he had just earned the starting job. Perhaps he had filled in for Callison in the past, too? I feel like I've seen a lot of #40, Ware, at the LB position, too (even though he's listed as a CB).

One thing is for sure, with so many people HAVING to play a role back there, we sure do have plenty of experience.

BigApp
November 28th, 2006, 12:32 PM
This game shouldn't even be close right?

The article I read on the UMass website called UNH "the 9th ranked" well the Wildcats are like 10th .... or lower even...

Clearly they are not as good (right?) hence the significantly lower ranking and all...I mean this should be an Ass Kicking (right?)

am I missing something?

umassfan
November 28th, 2006, 12:34 PM

The article I read on the UMass website called UNH "the 9th ranked" well the Wildcats are like 10th .... or lower even...

Clearly they are not as good (right?) hence the significantly lower ranking and all...I mean this should be an Ass Kicking (right?)

am I missing something?
Are you trying to cause trouble?

Black and Gold Express
November 28th, 2006, 12:45 PM
Maybe more of a case of having a better understanding of UNH's team versus ISU's, but I think that there will be at least one of these two rematch games where the season sweep does not occur, and I think it's more likely to be in this game.

The question to me is will UNH's defense keep UMass in check enough to win in a shootout. I have every confidence that the UNH offense can get enough points on the board to win the game, it's a matter of if the UNH defense can keep enough points off the board - but I guess that's been the question with UNH all season long.

Umass74
November 28th, 2006, 02:16 PM

am I missing something?

I tell you what. You play 'em. Then tell me they are not any good.

The Wildcats are a load. The game Saturday should be a war.

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2006, 02:30 PM
RUSHING: MASSACHUSETTS-Steve Baylark 20-89, Matt Lawrence 4-10, Liam Coen 3-2, Tim Washington 1-1

PASSING: MASSACHUSETTS-Liam Coen 11-15-193- 0

UNH didnt exactly let UMass run all over them. Though they shut down the running game effectively allowing 193 yards on 11 completions cant happen again.

wildcat2
November 28th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Unh will be up by 21 at half and win by 10

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM

am I missing something?

Where exactly is UNH ranked lower then 9th?

STATS Power Poll: 7
AGS: 8
Sporting Network: 9
Coaches: 8
GPI: 7

These are the final Regular Season Polls and after JMU and Furman suffering losses had there been polls between playoff weeks UNH would have likely moved up 2 spots in each.

Sagarin: 9

GeeWiz
November 28th, 2006, 04:25 PM
GeeWiz, why should Murray have been first team over Casey?

And if you really don't like Brown, you might want to take that 2002 A10 champions down.

To answer your first question ...

RUSHING Team Cl G Att Yds Avg TD Yds/G
----------------------------------------------------------
Steve Baylark....... UMASS SR 12 262 1460 5.6 12 121.7
Eugene Holloman..... JMU JR 10 192 1085 5.7 8 108.5
Maurice Murray...... NU JR 11 216 1061 4.9 11 96.5
Elijah Brooks....... WM SR 11 183 931 5.1 8 84.6
Joe Casey........... URI SO 11 191 874 4.6 6 79.5
Tim Hightower....... UR JR 11 177 850 4.8 5 77.3
Arel Gordon......... UM SR 11 172 843 4.9 5 76.6
Kareem Huggins...... HOF JR 11 136 572 4.2 4 52.0
Josh Vaughan........ UR SO 11 91 569 6.3 5 51.7
DeQuese May......... VU SR 11 101 538 5.3 5 48.9

Murray's numbers a better across the board and his team finished at least .500 in the A-10.

Now to your second question ...

Should the Detroit Pistons take down their 2004 NBA Championship banner if their fans are upset the way Larry Brown left the team? : smh :

I don't think so.

bkrownd
November 28th, 2006, 06:01 PM

It's a travesty UNH got into the playoffs. It's a double-travesty that they get a second chance at the Minutemen. What else can you say? : smh :

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2006, 06:43 PM
It's a travesty UNH got into the playoffs. It's a double-travesty that they get a second chance at the Minutemen. What else can you say? : smh :

OH PLEASE! What you have no confidence in your own team this weekend that you gotta make posts saying UNH dont belong? Who would you have chosen instead? San Diego? xidiotx xidiotx :nonono2: :nonono2: Pathetic!

Maroon&White
November 28th, 2006, 06:45 PM
To answer your first question ...

Murray's numbers a better across the board and his team finished at least .500 in the A-10.

Now to your second question ...

Should the Detroit Pistons take down their 2004 NBA Championship banner if their fans are upset the way Larry Brown left the team? : smh :

I don't think so.

Murray's not a FB...Casey is...hence why he got on the first team as a FB...

Well NU has been the whipping boy of the A10 for a while now, Brown finally makes the school respectable in football for a few years and then leaves for greener pasture. All you can do is call him Benedict Brown and hope he loses...yet still bask in the glory days of NU football (2002)...a year that wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Brown. Awfully hypocritical and petty.

I am disappointed in Brown being at NU though...UMass would have had 20 straight wins against them if it wasn't for that 1 good year.

BigApp
November 28th, 2006, 07:05 PM

you should read the whole post. He was quoting someone else.

WrenFGun
November 28th, 2006, 07:14 PM

A TRAVESTY? We lost to two of the best teams in the country, one by 8 points, and had a 1 point OT defeat to Northeastern on the road, and it's a TRAVESTY? Nevermind the fact we thoroughly beat Northwestern at Northwestern. There's no doubt UNH deserved the birth.

I can understand fearing having to play them, but at this point, the best 8 teams in the country are left. In theory, UMass is 3 and UNH is 6. It should be close.

bkrownd
November 28th, 2006, 07:35 PM
OH PLEASE! What you have no confidence in your own team this weekend that you gotta make posts saying UNH dont belong? Who would you have chosen instead? San Diego?

At least USD achieved something this season. UNH fell flat on its face every time it mattered and didn't manage a single important win. The Minutemen should be insulted by this matchup, and take the wood to the kitties without mercy.

bkrownd
November 28th, 2006, 07:39 PM
A TRAVESTY? We lost to two of the best teams in the country, one by 8 points, and had a 1 point OT defeat to Northeastern on the road, and it's a TRAVESTY? Nevermind the fact we thoroughly beat Northwestern at Northwestern. There's no doubt UNH deserved the birth.

When the only thing you have to brag about is your losses, you're either a lightweight or an underachiever. Big whoop. :rolleyes: Bragging about beating Northwestern is doubly pathetic. They were horrible this year. UNH has enough of a pedigree now that you should be able to acknowledge they did nothing worthy of earning a playoff spot this season.

UNHFan99
November 28th, 2006, 07:43 PM
It's a travesty UNH got into the playoffs. It's a double-travesty that they get a second chance at the Minutemen. What else can you say?

Travesty? are u serious? Heres the travesty. Umass fills its team with loudmouths and transfers and cant beat Hofstra or Colgate to get into the playoffs last year. That was a travesty. Umass is a perennial underachiever and I think they will follow up on that this weekend. UNH definitelly deserves to be in the playoffs and I think they are gonna win this weekend. Both teams have made it to the second round respectfully and it should be a battle this saturday. I highly doubt Umass's players and coaches think UNH isnt deserving of the playoffs.

WrenFGun
November 28th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I'd been taking the high road until the travesty crap.

You should be real confident in a team that nearly blew a 25 point lead in about 15 minutes. I think UMass is the more well-balanced team, but it doesn't mean UNH doesn't deserve to be here.

And now, with this junk, what's up with the juveniles on your team? Brandon London pull that crap every game? What a moron. I can't wait for him to come over the middle and get leveled.

UNH 40
November 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Travesty? are u serious? Heres the travesty. Umass fills its team with loudmouths and transfers and cant beat Hofstra or Colgate to get into the playoffs last year. That was a travesty. Umass is a perennial underachiever and I think they will follow up on that this weekend. UNH definitelly deserves to be in the playoffs and I think they are gonna win this weekend. Both teams have made it to the second round respectfully and it should be a battle this saturday. I highly doubt Umass's players and coaches think UNH isnt deserving of the playoffs.

Hit the nail on the head my man. Lack of good character players always comes back to bite them, you can bank on this team having two or three boneheaded personal foul calls a game. And I bet this fool chiming in with this travesty talk is probably a former player over there and just can't keep his mouth shut, and probably got a few 15 yards in his career because of it. Just a shot in the dark.

Bub89
November 28th, 2006, 08:06 PM
NESN picked up the game. Can't wait. Should be a real battle. Have to admit I'm nervous about this one. Go UMass! :hurray:

Sam Adams
November 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You think UMASS is a Perrenial underachiever???? How many Football National Championships has UNH won???? (NONE) What team was ranked Number 1 in the A10 and the Nation to start this season??? (UNH). What team won the A10 (UMASS). Now tell me once again who is the underachiever ??? (UNH).

Geez you UNH folks are getting mighty thin skinned you can't even tell when someone is yanking your chain and then you turn around and start spewing a bunch of crap about UMass. You want to go down that road then that is your choice - bring it over to the Smack Board.

I'm so happy that all the UNH fans have decided that their team is suddenly invincible and will win on Saturday....Should be a fun game. :thumbsup:

Actually AGS folks should know that the truth is that UNH fans are still steamed about the butt whipping UMASS laid on them in Hockey this season:D

WildcatFan
November 28th, 2006, 08:08 PM
At least USD achieved something this season. UNH fell flat on its face every time it mattered and didn't manage a single important win. The Minutemen should be insulted by this matchup, and take the wood to the kitties without mercy.
There you go - that's the UMASS fans we all know & love:smiley_wi

Sam Adams
November 28th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hit the nail on the head my man. Lack of good character players always comes back to bite them, you can bank on this team having two or three boneheaded personal foul calls a game. And I bet this fool chiming in with this travesty talk is probably a former player over there and just can't keep his mouth shut, and probably got a few 15 yards in his career because of it. Just a shot in the dark.

Congratulations :hurray: a dumb post from a New Hampshire version of Dr. Phil who wants to talk trash about the supposed "character" of players that he does not know and has no reason to assail. In other words you sir are irresponsible and foolish. Yes your bogus analysis is a shot on the dark as you described it yourself - and guess what? you shot yourself right in the foot ! And your feet are planted firmly in thin air because you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Is everybody from UNH this dumb?:eek:

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2006, 08:18 PM

What the **** did USD acchieve besides confirming what we all knew there cupcake schedule was just that and they lost the only decent game on theior schedule.

UNH had no wins that mattered? at Northwester, Richmond, at Maine... Thats 2 more wins that mattered then UMass can claim. Oh Wait UNH dont matter so there goes your only win that matters.

bkrownd
November 28th, 2006, 08:39 PM
UNH had no wins that mattered?

Nope.

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Nope.

Please oh please list the wins that UMass had that mattered?

bkrownd
November 28th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Please oh please list the wins that UMass had that mattered?

The two most prominent would be winning the A-10 title outright 8-0, and a clean sweep of I-AA opponents 10-0. Minutemen rocked the house...bigtime! :eek:

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2006, 08:56 PM
ok so your wins against URI, Maine, Hofstra mattered but UNHs didnt?

bkrownd
November 28th, 2006, 09:06 PM
On the day UMass defeated URI, UNH was busy losing to Northeastern. UM's win against Maine guaranteed at least a share of the A-10 title, and by that time UNH was out of the race with several losses. UM's win against Hofstra cemented an undefeated conference record, defended a #2 ranking, and won the conference title outright. Need more education?

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2006, 09:09 PM
On the day UMass defeated URI, UNH was busy losing to Northeastern. UM's win against Maine guaranteed at least a share of the A-10 title, and by that time UNH was out of the race with several losses. UM's win against Hofstra cemented an undefeated conference record, defended a #2 ranking, and won the conference title outright. Need more education?

YOUR A COMPLETE FU&KING IDIOT!

bkrownd
November 28th, 2006, 09:13 PM
For 3221 posts, you're sure a complete noob. :D Case closed!

Sam Adams
November 28th, 2006, 09:17 PM
LOL...lets talk football and leave the smack to the smack board.:nod:

bkrownd
November 28th, 2006, 09:18 PM
LOL...lets talk football and leave the smack to the smack board.:nod:

No smack here - just FACTS! :thumbsup:

rcny46
November 28th, 2006, 09:24 PM
What the **** did USD acchieve besides confirming what we all knew there cupcake schedule was just that and they lost the only decent game on theior schedule.

UNH had no wins that mattered? at Northwester, Richmond, at Maine... Thats 2 more wins that mattered then UMass can claim. Oh Wait UNH dont matter so there goes your only win that matters.

Don't let it bother you.It was a ridiculous statement he made;just consider the source.It's amazing that people have to become belligerent over something like a football game.:confused:

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2006, 09:26 PM
Don't let it bother you.It was a ridiculous statement he made;just consider the source.It's amazing that people have to become belligerent over something like a football game.:confused:

If this were soccer and in england me and that guy would be meeting in a dark ally with brass knuckles :cool:

rcny46
November 28th, 2006, 09:28 PM

I assume you are referring to the overwhelming 22-16 win over the 2-9 Pride that "cemented" the title.BTW,what happened last year?

bkrownd
November 28th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Next you'll start pointing out that UM didn't convert some irrelevant 3rd down against Stony Brook or something.

UNH_BLUE
November 28th, 2006, 09:39 PM
No smack here - just FACTS! :thumbsup:

No facts, just crap.

UNH and UMass both played one D-1 school. UMass lost to Independant Navy and UNH crushed Big Ten Northwestern, a team that beat Illinois and Iowa!

And yet you still try to discredit UNH. If UNH beats UMass there will be a lot of NH fans on this board looking for your sorry ass.

I hope you're man enough to take your beating.

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2006, 09:41 PM
No facts, just crap.

UNH and UMass both played one D-1 school. UMass lost to Independant Navy and UNH crushed Big Ten Northwestern, a team that beat Illinois and Iowa!

And yet you still try to discredit UNH. If UNH beats UMass there will be a lot of NH fans on this board looking for your sorry ass.

I hope you're man enough to take your beating.

His whole point with his comment is he's trying to illigitimize UNHs win over UMass should UNH pull off the win. I cant even imagine what he will be saying if UNH wins the Championship.

umassfan
November 28th, 2006, 10:52 PM
And now, with this junk, what's up with the juveniles on your team? Brandon London pull that crap every game? What a moron. I can't wait for him to come over the middle and get leveled.
Who is London going to get leveled by? Not one DB on UNH is a hard hitter. They are all soft. Why do you think your pass D is so weak? Give me a break.:bang:

AZGrizFan
November 28th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Interesting to hear the Griz fans looking past SIU. In case you haven't heard, Arkee Whitlock is one helluva a running back. I would worry more about stopping the Salukis then UNH/UMASS.

Right. Like the UMass fans won't have one ear to the radio to find out the Griz/SIU score... :eyebrow: ;) ;)

umassfan
November 28th, 2006, 11:09 PM
Right. Like the UMass fans won't have one ear to the radio to find out the Griz/SIU score... :eyebrow: ;) ;)
Well seems they dont like to tell CS scores at UMass very much, most UMass fans prob wont know how the griz do till after the game. We will have our hands full taking care of UNH anyways.

AZGrizFan
November 28th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Well seems they dont like to tell CS scores at UMass very much, most UMass fans prob wont know how the griz do till after the game. We will have our hands full taking care of UNH anyways.

As will the Griz with SIU. No looking past, just silently rooting for UNH to put an ass-whooping on UMass. :thumbsup: :p

btw, the bar I go to actually shows other I-AA playoff games as well, and gives out lots of info and scores....even got an 8-page tourney program as a little souvey. Sweet stuff, but the bar is owned by a Griz alum from Butte, MT....

DaGriz
November 28th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Sorry, I don't have time to wade through 15 pages here and see if this has already been discussed. Is this game going to be on that CN8 channel on line like previous weeks? Thanks in advance.

umassfan
November 28th, 2006, 11:13 PM
Sorry, I don't have time to wade through 15 pages here. Is this game going to be on that CN8 channel on line like previous weeks? Thanks in advance.
No its on NESN which isnt online... its also on espn gameplan

UNHWildCats
November 28th, 2006, 11:17 PM
CN8 will also be broadcasting a 2:30 pm quarterfinal game and i can guarantee it wont be the Montana game so you can watch this game on cn8.com

WrenFGun
November 28th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Brandon London is a punk. I don't care if it's one of the Karim's, Clements, Snook, whomever..someone has to teach him he can't be a dick and get away with it.

I was pretty fired up for this game before..this only fires me up more. It'll be a good one.

umassfan
November 28th, 2006, 11:32 PM
Brandon London is a punk. I don't care if it's one of the Karim's, Clements, Snook, whomever..someone has to teach him he can't be a dick and get away with it.

I was pretty fired up for this game before..this only fires me up more. It'll be a good one.
Hes been the same way for 4 years now. No one has done anything yet... he has made quite a few DBs look foolish though. :nod:

UMassive
November 28th, 2006, 11:34 PM
[QUOTE=WrenFGun]Brandon London is a punk.

I wish I could argue that one. Fortunately our version of Terrell Owens also usually backs it up on the field.

UMassive
November 28th, 2006, 11:43 PM
[QUOTE=AZGrizFan] just silently rooting for UNH to put an ass-whooping on UMass.

I hope not. As I much as I would like a home game for the Semis with an SIU win I am rooting for Montana. There is no better place to play in 1-AA (Sorry I am still old school) and the Semi-Final games are certain to be covered live by ESPN. A win their in a front of a national audience would be huge for any program. Need to get by a very tough UNH squad first.

Sam Adams
November 28th, 2006, 11:50 PM

Nice that you are "fired up" but not thinking that makes a damned bit of difference as to what occurs on Saturday however. The best team will win. And that team is UMASS. xcoffeex

UNHFan99
November 29th, 2006, 06:29 AM
I wish I could argue that one. Fortunately our version of Terrell Owens also USUALLY backs it up on the field.

Fortunately our version of Jerry Rice ALWAYS backs it up on the field.

Maroon&White
November 29th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Umass is a perennial underachiever

How the hell are they a perennial underachiever? xlolx xlolx xlolx

1 National Championship
21 Yankee/A-10 Titles

If that's underachieving, I'll take it.

Funny how some people started the idea that UMass underachiever's, yet have nothing to back that up with.

I figure UNH people would be familiar with underachieving though, just look at their hockey program - always coming in behind Maine, BC and BU.

Sam Adams
November 29th, 2006, 07:24 AM
Its hilarious that fans of the team that was picked to win the A10 and was ranked #1 in the country and then faltered badly come on a message board and accuse the team that actually won the A10 and went undefeated in 1AA of being a "perennial underachiever" Sweet Jesus you UNH folks seem to have eaten more than a few magical white mountain mushrooms to come up with that twisted thinking. :eek: :eek: :eek:

UNH 40
November 29th, 2006, 07:43 AM
This game will go down as one of the best in the history of this rivalry between UMass and UNH. Going to be an absolute battle. Could UMass be ripe? They have not played as well as they had been since the UNH game not nearly the production on offense and they haven't been nearly as sharp on defense. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out on Saturday.

Maroon&White
November 29th, 2006, 08:12 AM
Could UMass be ripe? They have not played as well as they had been since the UNH game not nearly the production on offense and they haven't been nearly as sharp on defense.

:nonono2: :nonono2:

But they've won those games.

If UNH wins, it's because they are the better team.
If UMass wins, it's because they are the better team.

MinuteFan
November 29th, 2006, 08:55 AM
I usually just sit back and read, but I have to jump in here. I'm a UMass guy, but no question UNH deserves to be in the playoffs. They lost their two biggest matchups at home to JMU and UMass, so I think even the most die-hard Wildcat fan has to admit they were third best in the A-10 this year. But third best in the A-10 is clearly a playoff team.

And while any team with Santos and Ball is a tough match-up, don't kid yourselves that UMass players or fans are afraid of this game. I have a ton of respect for UNH, but it takes more than two players to win, even if they are two of the best in the country. I agree that the better team will win, and I think if you consider balanced offense, defense and special teams, that team is UMass. We'll find out on Saturday.

89Hen
November 29th, 2006, 09:00 AM
How the hell are they a perennial underachiever?
Recent underachiever could be fairly accurate. Last week was the first playoff win since 1999 for the Minutemen. The only reason underachiever fits is that you've seemed to have some pretty good talent during those years, but not the results. This year could change all of that as I thought you looked pretty darn good last week.

bluehenbillk
November 29th, 2006, 09:23 AM
I'd agree 100%. Hey it's one or the other, either UMass is a perrenial underachiever or their fans greatly overestimate their team each year. But since 2003 I think UMass has had a lot of talent, as much as any 1-AA team in the Northeast, with very little to show for it.

Maroon&White
November 29th, 2006, 10:38 AM
Recent underachiever could be fairly accurate. Last week was the first playoff win since 1999 for the Minutemen. The only reason underachiever fits is that you've seemed to have some pretty good talent during those years, but not the results. This year could change all of that as I thought you looked pretty darn good last week.

Since 2003, I can see how one can say UMass has underachieved. Some of those teams were definitely talented, but like you said, didn't do much. Here is my attempt at excuses for the not so much success since 1999 ;)

2000/2001: Brown no longer the defensive coordinator, defense struggles big time (allowed 246pts in 2000 and 342 in 2001). Inconsistent QB play both years with Lucerco in 2000 and Guice in 2001.

2002/2003: Tom Massella hired as D-cord, back comes a good defense, Krohn at QB, UMass wins more games. UMass looks to make the playoffs in 2002 before Krohn suffers a concussion and Tim Day takes over during the UNH game. UMass goes on to lose that game and the next week vs. Hofstra with Day as QB...2003, Day doesn't play at all, UMass wins, but gets beat in playoffs to the national runner-up.

2004/2005: Don Brown comes back to UMass and he brings back a strong D. Day at QB in 2004, UMass sucks. 2005 season begins and Day is still QB, he goes on to throw 4 INTs in the first half vs. Colgate, loss comes back to haunt them as yes...they blow it late in the season vs. Hofstra.

2006: No more Day, team is in good shape.

Last season is the only one I was really disappointed that they didn't make the playoffs. IMO, Day lost them some big games over the years and that underachieving can be credited to him. He just made terrible decisions and I'm thankful Coen is now the QB. Hope you liked my excuses :thumbsup:

GeeWiz
November 29th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Murray's not a FB...Casey is...hence why he got on the first team as a FB...

Well NU has been the whipping boy of the A10 for a while now, Brown finally makes the school respectable in football for a few years and then leaves for greener pasture. All you can do is call him Benedict Brown and hope he loses...yet still bask in the glory days of NU football (2002)...a year that wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Brown. Awfully hypocritical and petty.

I am disappointed in Brown being at NU though...UMass would have had 20 straight wins against them if it wasn't for that 1 good year.

If you want to be a Casey apologist go right ahead.

Whipping boy for the A-10? Whatever. EXACTLY the reason why I hope you go down in flames Saturday with a silly, condesending comment such as that. xidiotx

What I can't say how I feel about your beloved head coach?

I have nothing but praise for what he did at NU while he was here. The way he weaseled his way out of his contract was bush league, flat out wrong and I'll always have a problem with it.

But hey, you guys up in cow country are used to getting into scandals and unethical procedures huh? :eyebrow:

wildcat2
November 29th, 2006, 11:47 AM
Its funny how one UMASS fan says UNH is only there because of Santos and Ball and the rest of the team sucks but they have not been in the playoffs for so long because of Day?
Sounds like that Mass logic inherited from the Kennedys.

Maroon&White
November 29th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Whipping boy for the A-10? Whatever. EXACTLY the reason why I hope you go down in flames Saturday with a silly, condesending comment such as that. xidiotx

I notice you didn't outright deny what I said as being untrue. 46-69 overall record in conference play...not exactly a great record. You denying NU has been at the bottom of the A10 since 1993 is like me trying to defend UMass sucking vs. UD. 5-23 speaks for itself, just as 46-69 does.

Maroon&White
November 29th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Its funny how one UMASS fan says UNH is only there because of Santos and Ball and the rest of the team sucks but they have not been in the playoffs for so long because of Day?

Not the same person that said those two things.

wildcat2
November 29th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Sorry but I have a habit of bunching all UMASS fans together like Hoodlums

Maroon&White
November 29th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Sorry but I have a habit of bunching all UMASS fans together like Hoodlums

How original :rolleyes:

YoUDeeMan
November 29th, 2006, 12:06 PM
2006: No more Day, team is in good shape.

Another day, another Minuteman implosion. :smiley_wi tick...tick...tick...

Maroon&White
November 29th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Another day, another Minuteman implosion. :smiley_wi tick...tick...tick...

Losing to the #9 team in the country in the quarterfinals is imploding...haha
:thumbsup:

umassfan
November 29th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Losing to the #9 team in the country in the quarterfinals is imploding...haha
:thumbsup:
Well I guess if we do anything but win the NC this year we would have imploded.

MinuteFan
November 29th, 2006, 12:38 PM

I was the one who made that post. Where does it say that the rest of the UNH team sucks? Those are YOUR words, Mildcat, not mine. I merely said that Santos and Ball are the two best players on the field, but UMass is a more balanced team overall (better running game, better defense). How can anyone who knows anything about football take offense at that statement? Sounds like you're putting words in my mouth to fire yourself up. There was no smack to UNH in what I posted....those are your words.

UMassive
November 29th, 2006, 01:03 PM
[QUOTE=GeeWiz]

Get over it already. Did anyone at UMass cry foul when Brown one of the top D- coordinators in 1-AA left to go to Northeastern. Pursuing career advancement opportunities is a fact of life whether it's the college coaching world or corporate. Northeasterns actions were unprecedented and they were compensated duly for his next years salary. Besides the administration has only themselves to blame for his leaving. Clearly repeated success based on the schools commitment to the program was going to be impossible. By the way what appears to be an advancement in career can also backfire. Just ask coach Rocky Hager how Boston compares to North Dakota State. I wont bother asking how the stadium commitment they promised Brown while their is going. However feel free to update us.

GannonFan
November 29th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Well I guess if we do anything but win the NC this year we would have imploded.

Well, I believe it was you who was actually quoted on here as saying that if you don't win the NC then even making the playoffs is just pointless. :nod:

ncguitarplyr
November 29th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Sportsnetwork's Prediction:

"No. 9 New Hampshire (9-3) at No. 3 Massachusetts (11-1), 2:30

Atlantic 10 North rivals New Hampshire and Massachusetts meet in another rendition of a series that has been very kind to the road team lately. Massachusetts came into Durham and beat a playoff-bound New Hampshire team, 38-21, in 2004, and the Wildcats returned the favor with a 34-28 victory in Amherst last season. Massachusetts came right back with a win at New Hampshire during a perfect Atlantic 10 campaign this year. The Minutemen jumped out to a 28-3 lead in that November 4 contest, but had to hold off a New Hampshire rally with a big defensive play inside the five-yard line in the final seconds of a 28-20 victory. That win helped the Minutemen to a perfect 10-0 regular season against I-AA/FCS opponents, and that mark was extended to 11 with a 35-14 victory over Lafayette in the first round. Massachusetts jumped out to a 21-0 lead early in the second quarter of that game, and scored the final touchdowns of the game after Lafayette cut the score to 21-14 at halftime. The Minutemen earned their first playoff victory since 1999 and are in the quarterfinals for the first time since that season and third time overall. New Hampshire makes its third appearance in the quarterfinals as well, though the Wildcats are here for the third year in a row. They almost didn’t make it back this time, but a 25-yard touchdown pass from Ricky Santos to Chad Kackert with 4:40 to play was the difference as the Wildcats rallied to win a 41-38 shootout at Hampton. New Hampshire has never advanced past the quarterfinals, while the Minutemen won the 1998 national championship. Playoff rematches aren’t foreign to the Atlantic 10, at least not recently. In 2004, William & Mary won at home against Delaware in the quarterfinals after losing in the regular season, but the Tribe then went on to lose at home against James Madison in the semis after defeating the Dukes earlier in the year. Massachusetts opened up a 40-25-3 record in the series against New Hampshire with the win on Nov. 4. The Minutemen have a 20-11-1 edge in Amherst, and a 13-7 mark at McGuirk Alumni Stadium.

When New Hampshire Has the Ball: Judging by the first meeting between the teams and the Wildcats’ performances against the tougher defenses they have faced, Ricky Santos and company are going to have to win this one through the air. New Hampshire has 255.1 passing yards per game, with Santos (2996 yards, 28 TD/6 INT) continuing to add to his reputation as one of the best quarterbacks in I- AA/FCS. Santos completed 35-of-55 passes for 383 yards and two touchdowns in the first meeting, and nearly led the Wildcats back from a 28-3 deficit in the second half. David Ball (87 receptions, 1060 yards, 13 TD) caught eight passes for 107 yards and two touchdowns in that matchup, and has made a living against the Minutemen in his career. He had nine catches for 199 yards and four touchdowns in last year’s win, and notched 15 receptions in New Hampshire’s home loss in 2004. New Hampshire is scoring 36.8 points per game, but will get a tough matchup against a Massachusetts defense that ranks second nationally with 11.5 ppg allowed. The Minutemen have allowed 171 passing yards per game and 58 percent of passes completed against them, and did give up two touchdown passes to Lafayette’s Brad Maurer last week. They have only surrendered seven touchdown passes this year, so the Wildcat passing game shouldn’t overwhelm the defense. New Hampshire does run for 169.9 yards per game, with Santos (349 rushing yards, 12 TD) often leading the way with his elusiveness. Santos gained 55 yards on the ground in the first meeting, but Massachusetts limited the Wildcats to 58 rushing yards overall. The New Hampshire offense might have a tough time on the ground again, with Massachusetts giving up only 93.4 rushing yards per game and 2.95 yards per carry. Look for the Wildcats to have trouble in that area again, so once again they’ll need a big day from Santos and Ball to get past the Minutemen.

When Massachusetts Has the Ball: Even if New Hampshire is able to put up a huge day against the Massachusetts defense, the Minutemen should be able to keep up when they have the ball. Massachusetts offers as much offensive balance as anybody in the country, with Steve Baylark (1460 yards, 12 TD) capable of taking over a game on the ground and Liam Coen (2330 yards, 23 TD/5 INT) producing consistently effective play when they go to the air. It’s often pick your poison against the offense, but New Hampshire can’t allow Baylark to get a head of steam early and carry it throughout the game. The senior running back has seven 100-yard efforts this season, and notched 152 yards and two touchdowns in the first-round victory over Lafayette. The Wildcats did limit Baylark to 89 yards and two touchdowns in the first meeting, but he notched 116 yards and two scores in last year’s game and put up three touchdowns and more than 100 yards in 2003 and 2004. New Hampshire struggled against Hampton’s Alonzo Coleman last week, and a tough time against quality running games has led to 154.9 rushing yards per game allowed. Massachusetts runs for 175.2 yards per game and 4.75 yards per carry, so the Minutemen should get a favorable matchup here. New Hampshire can’t commit entirely to the run either, because the Minutemen feature a deep receiving corps and put up 199.7 passing yards per game with efficient efforts from Coen. He threw for three touchdowns last week, and put up an 11-of-15 effort for 193 yards and two touchdowns in the win over the Wildcats. Coen also had a breakout performance in last year’s loss to the Wildcats with 31-of-50 passing for 401 yards and two touchdowns. The Wildcat defense gives up more than 60 percent of passes completed, and has allowed 15 touchdown passes. New Hampshire has forced 21 turnovers, and will need a few here if Baylark is finding running room all day.

Intangibles: Turnovers will be a key part of any game between closely matched teams, but that battle could be even more important here because both quarterbacks generally take care of the ball. Both teams have thrown just six interceptions this year, so multiple interceptions by one of the defenses could create a surprising advantage. These teams obviously know each other well, and Massachusetts is going for the sweep of the season series. The Minutemen have the home advantage, but that has not meant much in the series. Adjustments by both coaching staffs will be huge. They played less than a month ago, and New Hampshire found its offensive rhythm in the second half of that game.

The Verdict: This has to be the biggest toss-up game in the quarterfinal round. The Minutemen won the first meeting and have a pretty good edge against the Wildcat defense, so they should be able to put points on the board. But New Hampshire has enjoyed success throwing the ball in past meetings against Massachusetts, and Santos and Ball are always capable of leading the team to a lot of points. It figures to be a shootout that’s decided late, and usually that type of game goes to Santos and the Wildcats. But Massachusetts has more balance on offense, and Baylark is capable of taking over the game in the fourth quarter. The Minutemen defense also has more ability to get stops, and the running game and defense should be just enough to hold off the Wildcat passing game. Prediction: Massachusetts 35, New Hampshire 31 "
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/extrapoint.htm

UMassive
November 29th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I'd agree 100%. Hey it's one or the other, either UMass is a perrenial underachiever or their fans greatly overestimate their team each year. But since 2003 I think UMass has had a lot of talent, as much as any 1-AA team in the Northeast, with very little to show for it.

2003 was definitely underachievement as was last year. Last years game with Hofstra is really more of a choke. The talent has been their at the skill positions but we have lacked the solid consistant play at quarter back since the 99 season. The A10 stats clearly show that based on where are quarterbacks have ranked in the league until this season. Defense can only take you so far.

ChickenMan
November 29th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Sportsnetwork's Prediction:

"No. 9 New Hampshire (9-3) at No. 3 Massachusetts (11-1), 2:30

The Verdict: This has to be the biggest toss-up game in the quarterfinal round. Prediction: Massachusetts 35, New Hampshire 31

I don't see this game as a toss-up... UMass is the better (defensive) team and while I'm not saying that UNH can't win... a UNH win would certainly be an usept.

Assuming UMass takes care of the football... I'll say... UMass 35 UNH 21

ncguitarplyr
November 29th, 2006, 01:44 PM
out of all the seeds i say massachusetts has the toughest game this time but i still think massachusetts takes care of business

UNH_BLUE
November 29th, 2006, 05:37 PM
I don't see this game as a toss-up... UMass is the better (defensive) team and while I'm not saying that UNH can't win... a UNH win would certainly be an usept.

Assuming UMass takes care of the football... I'll say... UMass 35 UNH 21

UMAss does have a better defense and a better ground attack. NH can only win if they protect Santos and give him time to hit his receivers or find an opening and run for good yardage.

Good protection + Ricky being Ricky = UNH victory

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 29th, 2006, 05:47 PM
This is the best game this weekend......I'm leaning toward UNH for some reason........maybe it's because Santos is on a roll.........best of luck for each team..

Go A10

Peems
November 29th, 2006, 06:42 PM
could christmas come early for UNH with "santos" clause at the helm?

(i know i know horrible pun)

rcny46
November 29th, 2006, 06:46 PM
UMAss does have a better defense and a better ground attack. NH can only win if they protect Santos and give him time to hit his receivers or find an opening and run for good yardage.

Good protection + Ricky being Ricky = UNH victory

I know the defense takes a lot of hits from everyone,but I still think they are capable of an inspired effort.The first time around they held Baylark to 89 yds. rushing,and UMass to less than 300 total.If they can duplicate that on saturday,I believe they have a chance to put one in the win column.

UNH_BLUE
November 29th, 2006, 07:09 PM
I know the defense takes a lot of hits from everyone,but I still think they are capable of an inspired effort.The first time around they held Baylark to 89 yds. rushing,and UMass to less than 300 total.If they can duplicate that on saturday,I believe they have a chance to put one in the win column.

UNH's D just seemed a lot more tenacious, hard hitting and faster the first part of the season. Their secondary seemed to give up too many third down plays during the second half.

If UNH plays like they did against Northwestern, it will be tough to beat them.

Peems
November 29th, 2006, 08:00 PM

well they did it the first time and things really didnt work out.

Maroon&White
November 29th, 2006, 08:06 PM
The first time around they held Baylark to 89 yds. rushing

That was basically in the first half. He was banged up the second half and didn't rush much at all.

Sam Adams
November 29th, 2006, 08:08 PM
For the record I think UNH is a damned good team and I've been one of the posters on this Board who has been touting Mr. Santos' skills forever. As to be expected this thread has dissolved into stupid namecalling and idiotic arguments about nothing that has anything to do with the upcoming football game.

Lets cut the nonsense or at least keep it confined to the smack board. Two good A10 teams with two good coaches. UMass will win the football game because they are the better team and specifically they have the better defense and special teams. If it goes in favor of UNH I'll be rooting for them the rest of the way because I always root for the A10 and UNH except when they are playing UMASS. Lets talk about the game.

rcny46
November 29th, 2006, 09:30 PM
UNH's D just seemed a lot more tenacious, hard hitting and faster the first part of the season. Their secondary seemed to give up too many third down plays during the second half.

If UNH plays like they did against Northwestern, it will be tough to beat them.

Regarding their secondary,one of the writers who covers the CS mentioned in a recent article that I saw on AGS that he ( and some others-coaches I believe) were of the opinion that UNH was never able to recover from the loss of Corey Graham.

UNHWildCats
November 29th, 2006, 09:41 PM
UMass will win the football game because they are the better team

We'll see about that.

UMass will win the football game because they have the better defense

I think Hampton fans were saying that last week.

UMassive
November 29th, 2006, 10:02 PM
During a Brown interview last week he mentioned theat Offensive Tackle Sean Calicchio is back from the broken arm he suffered in the first game against Colgate. It looks like he did not play at all against Lafayette. He started all last year and gives additional size over Hopkins. Has any one heard if he will actually play?

umassfan
November 29th, 2006, 10:42 PM
During a Brown interview last week he mentioned theat Offensive Tackle Sean Calicchio is back from the broken arm he suffered in the first game against Colgate. It looks like he did not play at all against Lafayette. He started all last year and gives additional size over Hopkins. Has any one heard if he will actually play?
Last I heard they were going to redshirt Sean. Im guessing that is still the plan. Things may change if another injury on the oline occurs though. He should be ready to play.

UMassive
November 29th, 2006, 10:58 PM
Last I heard they were going to redshirt Sean. Im guessing that is still the plan. Things may change if another injury on the oline occurs though. He should be ready to play.

I believe he has already used his redshirt year according to the roster on UMass website. Hopefully he sees some time this week. At 6' 5" 305 he gives a lot more push on in the run game. He was also pretty solid in the pass game last year.

umassfan
November 29th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I believe he has already used his redshirt year according to the roster on UMass website. Hopefully he sees some time this week. At 6' 5" 305 he gives a lot more push on in the run game. He was also pretty solid in the pass game last year.
I noticed he redshirted already after posting... with that said... i can see him getting some time this postseason. He would have made it 5 UMass olinemen making all A10 if not for his injury. He is our most physical OLinemen on the team.

Old Cat Fan
November 30th, 2006, 01:27 AM
Well I was telling myself all week to avoid this thread and just wait for the game. However I might as well put my prediction in. Sometimes you just have to follow your gut feelings regardless of what the out come should be on paper.. UMASS has played a flawless season wth only a narrow loss to NAVY, they have not had there bad game yet and are due. On the other side this UNH team has not been past the quarterfinals for the last two years and my gut tells me that this third try will be the year. With the motivation of getting to the semifinals by defeating the team that beat you earlier in the year and then to advance on to the next round for a possible rematch with the team that put them out of the Championship two years ago (Montana) is destiny.. UNH 31 MASS 17

umassfan
November 30th, 2006, 02:00 AM
Well I was telling myself all week to avoid this thread and just wait for the game. However I might as well put my prediction in. Sometimes you just have to follow your gut feelings regardless of what the out come should be on paper.. UMASS has played a flawless season wth only a narrow loss to NAVY, they have not had there bad game yet and are due. On the other side this UNH team has not been past the quarterfinals for the last two years and my gut tells me that this third try will be the year. With the motivation of getting to the semifinals by defeating the team that beat you earlier in the year and then to advance on to the next round for a possible rematch with the team that put them out of the Championship two years ago (Montana) is destiny.. UNH 31 MASS 17
UMass has had bad games... prob for the rest of the A10 is they won those games also. UMass will have to have alot of turnovers to be held to 17 points against a very crappy UNH D. With that said... UNH will have to play flawless on offense to score 31 points. UMass has been held below 20 points only twice this season. Once was vs NU in the downpour and also vs Maines insane defense.

November 30th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Coulson sez UNH makes it to the champ game...

umassfan
November 30th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Coulson sez UNH makes it to the champ game...
It wont be the first or last time Coulson is wrong. Id take Matts opinion over Coulsons any day of the week.

Maroon&White
November 30th, 2006, 06:49 AM
they have not had there bad game yet and are due.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :nonono2: :nonono2:

Sam Adams
November 30th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Calicchio's return is literally a HUGE boost for UMass. He is an excellent lineman and in particular a fantastic pass blocker. However - Chris Hopkins has been superb as well - Chris is a great athlete who does a great job of opening holes for Steve Baylark.

Bottom line is that having Calicchio ready to play is a Huge boost for UMass and a big problem for the cats.

UNH 40
November 30th, 2006, 07:26 AM

The rules of redshirting have changed a bit in the last three or four years. The old rule was that if you play in no more than three games or something like 30% of your teams games then you are eligable to take a readshirt. That rule has since change, now I believe the rule is that if you play in any games your redshirt is gone. Judging by the roster Sean already recieved his redshirt therefore rendering him ineligable to recieve another redshirt. He could petition the NCAA for a medical grey shirt but I think that can be a long drawn out process especially considering he injured himself playing in a game. A guy like Lex Hilliard would have no problem recieving a medical grey shirt considering he didn't see the field this season.

UNH_ORACLE
November 30th, 2006, 07:29 AM
ANY GIVEN SATURDAY defines this game to a tee. UMASS was the better team on every saturday this season and that's why they are the home team, but lets be honest with these two teams it's anybody's game.

It's the same ol story here who ever protects the football will win the game. UNH lost last year's matchup to UNI because they failed to protect the ball. I think UNH's experience will prove pivotal. We have felt the heartache for the last two years and we're very hungry for a semifinal game. Our maturity could very well be the X factor in this match up.

Sam Adams
November 30th, 2006, 07:34 AM
I agree that this game could go either way and also that turnovers and special teams play will likely play a huge role in determining the outcome because they will dictate field position.

UNH_BLUE
November 30th, 2006, 08:08 AM
UNH lost last year's matchup to UNI because they failed to protect the ball.

True, but I'm still not happy at all with that fumble call against Santos late in the 4th when UNH was marching towards the tying or go-ahead score.

Santos was clearly out of bounds while he had possession of the ball. Should have been a dead ball right there. It was similar to a play a couple years ago when David Patten of the NE Patriots lost control of a ball but had possession while he was out of bounds. That play was properly called a dead ball.

I might get over that Santos fumble call one of these days...

Maroon&White
November 30th, 2006, 10:44 AM
True, but I'm still not happy at all with that fumble call against Santos late in the 4th when UNH was marching towards the tying or go-ahead score.

Most of the time Santos is running he holds the ball weakly, usually not tucking it in. It cost him in that game vs. UNI.

napkinn
November 30th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that UNH will rally and pull this game out. I have purposefully withheld comment on big games in the past and it hasn't done me any good, so maybe a change up is good. Besides, the game will not be on "free" cable. Because I can't watch it, they will win. Happens all the time ;)

Except that the same thing happens for me...with UMass. I think we might end up with contradicting inevitabilities here.

UNH 40
November 30th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Most of the time Santos is running he holds the ball weakly, usually not tucking it in. It cost him in that game vs. UNI.

I have played in and or watched every game Santos has played and that is the only fumble that I can ever recall him making.

Maroon&White
November 30th, 2006, 11:04 AM
I have played in and or watched every game Santos has played and that is the only fumble that I can ever recall him making.

I never said he's fumble-prone, just that he doesn't protect the ball enough. This was last year I noticed it though, didn't pay attention if he was still doing it this year.

UNH 40
November 30th, 2006, 11:47 AM
don't like the saturday forcast in Amherst as of right now they are expecting mostly cloudy sky's 43 degrees and WINDY.

Maroon&White
November 30th, 2006, 12:09 PM
don't like the saturday forcast in Amherst as of right now they are expecting mostly cloudy sky's 43 degrees and WINDY.

Has wind at home ever had a big impact on UNH's passing game the past few years? A lot of the times I visit Durham for a game it's very windy through the stadium. I remember it definitely affecting the punting, but was just wondering if it has affected passing (since you said you don't like the forecast)? Maybe it's just a coincidence that almost every time I've been up there it's very windy, but that's how it has worked out.

UNH 40
November 30th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Has wind at home ever had a big impact on UNH's passing game the past few years? A lot of the times I visit Durham for a game it's very windy through the stadium. I remember it definitely affecting the punting, but was just wondering if it has affected passing (since you said you don't like the forecast)? Maybe it's just a coincidence that almost every time I've been up there it's very windy, but that's how it has worked out.

The reason I say that is that watching a game in that has temps. in the 40's and will surely drop as the sun sets is never fun. Add a wind to that and it is even worse. It may affect the passing game some but not to much. The only UNH game that I have ever been where the weather completely negated the pass as an offensive option was this seasons game against Hofstra.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 30th, 2006, 12:31 PM

Good observation M&W, it often is windy at Cowell especially in the 2nd half of the season. Maybe 40 was alluding to watching the game as a fan? I've been going to UNH-UMass games in Amherst for over 30 years and find McGuirk to be a cold venue. Much colder than Cowell despite being farther south. That inland location and the swamp in a prior time factor usually make McGuirk feel much colder than the actual temperature. Two of the three coldest games I've ever attended have been at McGuirk.

Yet somehow it seems appropriate that it will be cold! Just like all those years when UNH and UMass squared off in the season ending game!! And Saturday's game brings back memories of the three games during the '75-'77 seasons when UNH and UMass met with a D-II AQ on the line. Only an eight team tourney then so those regular season games were truly like playoff games.

Besides we're forgetting how warm it has been in New England this Fall. Low 40's on December 2nd isn't really cold for these parts, but I guarantee that it will feel 10-20 degrees colder at the stadium! xlolx

Looking forward to another UNH-UMass classic! And preparing my ole heart for another awesome finish!! Regardless of the outcome, CS Football should be the winner!

Maroon&White
November 30th, 2006, 12:42 PM
:doh: Haha, I wasn't even thinking about viewing the game as a fan, probably because I don't mind cold weather for a football game. That makes sense though, 40 degrees with wind will make it pretty cold. xlolx

DrG
November 30th, 2006, 01:40 PM
My rule of thumb on attending games at McGuirk: Expect it to be 10 degrees colder than what they're saying it is.

Pard4Life
November 30th, 2006, 02:32 PM
My rule of thumb on attending games at McGuirk: Expect it to be 10 degrees colder than what they're saying it is.

Well it felt 10 degrees warmer there last week than the advertised temp. I was sitting there w/o my coat on, soaking in the rays.

UMassive
November 30th, 2006, 02:35 PM
ANY GIVEN SATURDAY defines this game to a tee. UMASS was the better team on every saturday this season and that's why they are the home team, but lets be honest with these two teams it's anybody's game.

It's the same ol story here who ever protects the football will win the game. UNH lost last year's matchup to UNI because they failed to protect the ball. I think UNH's experience will prove pivotal. We have felt the heartache for the last two years and we're very hungry for a semifinal game. Our maturity could very well be the X factor in this match up.

UMass protecting the ball is less of a concern than some of the penalties we have taken this year. UMass fans that followed the team this year have seen them get in real trouble with some foolish ones. I like the swagger and the attitude the team plays with but just like the playoffs in hockey you have to no when to fight and take that Major. Unfortunately the CS playoffs are one and done so the penalties are killers. Let's hope the emotions are not a factor in any foolish ones Saturday.

Stricker46
November 30th, 2006, 03:12 PM
UNH vs. UMass , It’s going to be a great game. The UNH defense won’t be able to stop UMass . The minutemen will control the ball and eat up the clock and keep driving down the field. This will keep the UNH offense off the field. UNH can’t score if they aren’t on the field. With that being said, UNH defiantly has an explosive offense. But if UNH defense can’t do the three and out thing, it will be the last game of the season for UNH. I would like to see UNH win it but UMass is the better team right now. Man!!! that Atlantic 10 must be one tough conference, because UMass beat Northeastern by 7 points and Northeastern beat UNH in overtime. The funny thing is Northeastern was in fourth place. At this point I have to root for the Atlantic 10 team.

Old Cage
November 30th, 2006, 06:29 PM
The forecast high for Saturday is going up and the point spread with UMass as favorite is going up.

Two weather sites I just checked had 45 and 48 as the high, and the point spread has moved from the 5-6 area to seven earlier today and 8 at present.

That said on the weather, bring every piece of clothing you own and make a game time decision. I live in EMass and the difference in The Valley - one way or the other - is often large.

Sam Adams
November 30th, 2006, 06:49 PM
The weather forecast is probably about as reliable as the point spread - i.e. not very.

It is warmer on the visitors side in the afternoon because it faces directly west - and it has been unseasonably warm in New England - last saturday was positively tropical in Amherst. That didn't help Lafayette too much however.

WSBE
November 30th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Here's why I want to see UNH beat UMASS. Look at the rosters:

# of transfers from other colleges or post-grad institutions?:

UMASS = 19 (4 from Rutgers & 3 from UCONN)
UNH = 0

So wouldn't it be great if traditional high school grads/recruits beat this stacked IAA team?

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 30th, 2006, 11:13 PM

UNH = 0

So wouldn't it be great if traditional high school grads/recruits beat this stacked IAA team?

How about these even more impressive odds?
# of Vermont HS players at UMASS = 0
# of Vermont HS players at UNH = 5 (including 4 starters, 2 All-Americans, 5th kid is PAT/FG Snapper)

Even more amazing:
# of VT Vermont HS players at other FCS Schools = 2 (Lehigh, Bucknell)
# of Vermont HS players at BCS Schools = 0

Other teams should start checking out Vermont's giant roster of 34 VT high schools that play football! :D

UNHWildCats
November 30th, 2006, 11:21 PM
Heisman Watch (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Heisman+Watch&articleId=83226ea3-7d39-4b90-8209-375c83b65e5c)

C.J. MCCARTHY has been constantly giving Ricky Santos a spot on the lower section of his ballot all season.

NH Residents true to school, Red or Blue (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Jim+Fennell%3a+NH+residents+ true+to+school%2c+be+it+red+or+blue&articleId=b3a8c227-c6bb-40bd-86b5-959349b0f377)

A look at Granite Staters and who they will be rooting for Saturday.

Plymouth State stepping stone for Don Brown (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Plymouth+was+stepping+stone+ for+UMass+coach&articleId=52cb64fa-c693-4675-b5fd-15db53877d00)

Look back at the early days of UMass coach Don Browns career.

BigApp
November 30th, 2006, 11:22 PM
amazing.

VT Wildcat Fan53
November 30th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Heisman Watch (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Heisman+Watch&articleId=83226ea3-7d39-4b90-8209-375c83b65e5c)

C.J. MCCARTHY has been constantly giving Ricky Santos a spot on the lower section of his ballot all season.

NH Residents true to school, Red or Blue (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Jim+Fennell%3a+NH+residents+ true+to+school%2c+be+it+red+or+blue&articleId=b3a8c227-c6bb-40bd-86b5-959349b0f377)

A look at Granite Staters and who they will be rooting for Saturday.

Plymouth State stepping stone for Don Brown (http://www.unionleader.com/article.aspx?headline=Plymouth+was+stepping+stone+ for+UMass+coach&articleId=52cb64fa-c693-4675-b5fd-15db53877d00)

Look back at the early days of UMass coach Don Browns career.

3 nice articles. Most folks also don't know that Don Brown was a high school coach at Hartford HS in White River Jct, VT. Lots of local roots,...

WSBE
December 1st, 2006, 12:02 AM
thanks! that article was incredible for me to read...myself & my roommates played for Donny Brown at Plymouth & all I can say is that he is special. Inspiring would be an understatement. We would sit in our apartment & marvel over what he did or what he said everyday...we all thought he would make it to the top.

That said, I hope UNH wins by 10 Saturday!!!!

...While we're speaking of Plymouth...I am reminded of how much is sucks to not have a healthy Mike Boyle. McDonnell said he was the star of Spring & Summer camps...he is spectacular every time he's on the field, etc etc. I was at the Northeastern game & he was faster than anyone on the field & made highlight reel catches. One good thing is that if he is healthy next year...I think he & Santos could be deadly

Old Cat Fan
December 1st, 2006, 12:29 AM
Anyone have the stats available for the two place kickers in case the game comes down to field goals??

Old Cat Fan
December 1st, 2006, 01:03 AM
Ok went and dug it up, looks pretty even:

UMASS through 11-18-06
Koepplin FGM FGA PCT 1-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+ LONG BLOCKED
13 18 72 1-1 2-4 7-7 3-6 0-0 48 1

UNH through 11-25 -06
FGM FGA PCT 1-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50+ LONG BLOCKED
MANNING 5 8 62 0-0 1-1 2-3 2-4 0-0 48 0

BISHOP 2 3 68 0-0 2-2 0-1 0-0 0-0 28 0

Both Koepplin and Manning have longs of 48 but the stat that jumps out is the UMASS kicker is perfect from the 30-39 range going 7 for 7 that does not include last weeks Lafayette game.

Sam Adams
December 1st, 2006, 06:18 AM
It isn't "pretty even".

According to the NCAA, Koepplin is the better field goal kicker (ranked 21) compared to Manning (ranked 91).

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=5&rpt=IAA_playerfg&site=org

Sam Adams
December 1st, 2006, 06:20 AM
Its not surprising that nobody wants to transfer to unh.

UNHFan99
December 1st, 2006, 06:26 AM
That ranking is based on field goals a game. That really doesnt mean much. That has more to do with how many attempts you have. I think field goal percentage and long is what shows a kickers true ability. It should be an even match between the kicking game. Tom Manning has gotten better as the season wore on for the cats. Umass does have a good kicker that seems to do well with pressure and it should be fun to watch how both them handle the spotlight of this huge game.

Tribe4SF
December 1st, 2006, 06:28 AM
It isn't "pretty even".

According to the NCAA, Koepplin is the better field goal kicker (ranked 21) compared to Manning (ranked 91).

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=5&rpt=IAA_playerfg&site=org

This is a phase where UMass has an edge. UNH missed an extra-point last week on a kick that looked really bad. UNH fans told me their kicking game has been an adventure. The missed extra-point put them in a position where they had to have a TD on their last drive because they were down 4.

Sam Adams
December 1st, 2006, 06:33 AM
That ranking is based on field goals a game. That really doesnt mean much. That has more to do with how many attempts you have. I think field goal percentage and long is what shows a kickers true ability. It should be an even match between the kicking game. Tom Manning has gotten better as the season wore on for the cats. Umass does have a good kicker that seems to do well with pressure and it should be fun to watch how both them handle the spotlight of this huge game.

Yes I know what the ranking is. It means a great deal. Specifically it tells you who has been the most productive field goal kicker this season. The fact that UNH does not try many field goals also tells you something about the quality of that aspect of their special teams. If Manning has gotten better, why did he miss a PAT last week?

Also, lets make the point even a bit clearer - lets look at the NCAA scoring statistics where you will see the Koepplin is the 7th leading scorer in the country among Kickers and Manning is not even on the list. Its ridiculous to argue with a straight face that Koepplin and Manning are "pretty even"

http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=5&rpt=IAA_playerscoring&site=org

rcny46
December 1st, 2006, 10:18 AM
This is a phase where UMass has an edge. UNH missed an extra-point last week on a kick that looked really bad. UNH fans told me their kicking game has been an adventure. The missed extra-point put them in a position where they had to have a TD on their last drive because they were down 4.

They also missed an extra point the previous week against Maine which led to an overtime situation.The coaching staff has been going with two kickers all season,and against the Black Bears,Manning made his attempt,but Tom Bishop failed in his.

WrenFGun
December 1st, 2006, 10:23 AM
Agreed on our kicking. If the game comes down to FG's/PAT's, we'll lose the game. If anyone remembers last year, against UNI, we drove the field and were unwilling to try a 47 yard FG, instead electing to go for it on 4th and like, 3, ultimately costing us the game.

UNHWildCats
December 1st, 2006, 10:27 AM
They alternate the 2 on PAT and Manning is the long FG guy with Bishop usually taking the short attempts. I know they are using both because they are both young, Manning is a Sophomore and Bishop is a Freshman, or vice versa, but I think they should be using just 1 guy (Manning) so that the kicker is out there on a constant basis which could improve the effectiveness of the kicking game.

rcny46
December 1st, 2006, 10:31 AM
thanks! that article was incredible for me to read...myself & my roommates played for Donny Brown at Plymouth & all I can say is that he is special. Inspiring would be an understatement. We would sit in our apartment & marvel over what he did or what he said everyday...we all thought he would make it to the top.

That said, I hope UNH wins by 10 Saturday!!!!

...While we're speaking of Plymouth...I am reminded of how much is sucks to not have a healthy Mike Boyle. McDonnell said he was the star of Spring & Summer camps...he is spectacular every time he's on the field, etc etc. I was at the Northeastern game & he was faster than anyone on the field & made highlight reel catches. One good thing is that if he is healthy next year...I think he & Santos could be deadly

I might get some argument on this,but I think he is the most versatile member of the offense when he's healthy.He can return punts,run out of the backfield,line up at WR,and even throw the ball (I believe he played QB in high school).The hamstring and ankle problems have really hampered his season.I was optimistic last week when he came in and caught an 11 yard pass on UNH's first play,but that was the end of the day for him.I guess he is doubtful for the UMass game,and won't be available until they take on the winner of the Montana-SIU game on the ninth. :D

Old Cat Fan
December 1st, 2006, 10:32 AM
It isn't "pretty even".

Agree Sam Adams, bad statement on my part, Umass does have the better kicker by far and he's a junior where as Manning is a freshman :eek: made that post past 2:00am major league brain cramp :xidiotx

wildcat2
December 1st, 2006, 11:05 AM
Big shoes to fill after last 4 years with Mccormick. But Manning has come a long way and when it comes to the end of the game who knows. Look what happened to Vanderjack.

PantherRob82
December 1st, 2006, 11:13 AM
Should be a good game. UMass has the kicking advantage, but I still like UNH is a close one if both teams play their "A" game. If UNH plays like they did against JMU, etc, then UMass walks away with the easy win.

Granite
December 1st, 2006, 11:16 AM
Agreed on our kicking. If the game comes down to FG's/PAT's, we'll lose the game. If anyone remembers last year, against UNI, we drove the field and were unwilling to try a 47 yard FG, instead electing to go for it on 4th and like, 3, ultimately costing us the game.

And that was with a much more consistent kicking game/kicker in Connor McCormick.

Needless-to-say, field goal kicking and PATs were not a strength this season (and in some games, were a liability).

wildcat2
December 1st, 2006, 11:32 AM
One thing about UNH. They don't and haven't kicked alot of field goals because they score so many touchdowns. They miss a few extra points because they kick so many and the odds are against them when they do it so often. If they score 7 td's.....When they score 7 td's tomorrow they can miss one extra point!

ChickenMan
December 1st, 2006, 11:46 AM
If UMass takes care of the football and avoids mistakes... I think they will win by a couple of TDs. I just don't think UNH's modest defense will be able to make enough stops without the help of a couple of turnovers.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 1st, 2006, 12:11 PM

UNH = 0

Just to be completely accurate, I believe that J.E. Frederickson on UNH is a transfer from Kent State. But IIRC he came to UNH with four years of eligibility remaining.

I knew there were transfers on UMass, but I didn't know there were that many!! :eek:

UNHWILDCATS05
December 1st, 2006, 12:19 PM

UNH = 0

Also, just to be accurate, Husain Karim was a two year starter at Holy Cross...

WSBE
December 1st, 2006, 01:16 PM
hmmm...I missed those transfers - they don't list their schools on the roster

Someone asked about Mike Boyle position in high school - he was a QB but played all skill positions...he was a legend...a 4 year starter, the team went 44-0 with 4 State Championships! That's good stuff

KAUMASS
December 1st, 2006, 01:37 PM
I enjoy reading most of the comments. I don't post much, but here is some food for thought for all fans regarding tomorrow's game between UNH-UMass. I am a avid A-10 & UMass follower. I hope you enjoy these comments, as I am a former player and have played in the CS playoffs. I like the CS label.. I am wondering how long it will be before a CS team receives a bowl bid and skips the CS..does anyone know if a CS team is prohibited from playing is a BS bowl?..There are a number of teams in CS ranked higher than some of the BS bowl teams. Another subject all together..back to UNH-UMass.

Sagarian Div. 1 power rankings-(all BS & CS intergrated)-USAToday.com(sports)
Umass #64, New Hampshire #91, Appalachian #80, Montana, #62 Miami(FL) #59

CS Division Power ratings- Umass #1, UNH #7
Total Offense AVG Per game: UMass-375, UNH 405
Total Defense AVG Per game: UMass-264, UNH 324
Points per game offense: UMass-29.49, UNH-36.83
Points allowed per game: UMass-11.5, UNH-24
Turnover Margin per game-UMass+.42, UNH +.67
UMass vs.UNH game #1-Umass had 294 yards total offense. 100 running, 193 passing. UNH had 451 yards, 58 running and 383 passing. Time of possession-UNH-34:16, UMass-25:44. Score: 28-20, UMass.

Offense perspective: Everbody chirps about Santos and Ball. Terrific players, probably NFL draft picks. Fun to watch. Question?-have people forgotten how good and balanced the UMass offense is? Is UMass's offense the Rodney Dangerfield of 2006?(no respect). Do you think UMass will be expecting pass? You bet!!. If I am a D-coordinator and had to choose who to face, I would rather face Santos as they are one dimensional. If, and I mean if, UNH's offense gets 450 yards of offense, like the first game, I don't see them getting any more points than the first game they played. Umass sat on their heels in the second half, allowing time to be chewed off the clock. Do we want to talk about the questionable running into the kicker call in the end zone?..Hatchell was pushed into the kicker, and if it wasn't for that call, I don't think the game would have been that close. Is there a trophy for the best actor in the UNH-Umass game?--If UNH had won, that punter should have gotten the Bill Knight MVP award. All the kudos in the world for UNH's offense for marching 95 yards for a TD after that questionable call though!!
I have seen about 90% of the games UMass has played this year. Their offense has been sluggish and conservative with the lead at times this year. Show me a team in the country that hasn't. The one thing that impresses me, is they answer and get it done when it gets to be gut check time.

Defensive Perspective: UMass players are licking thier chops at facing Santos again. They will have something to prove and would like nothing but to shut him out. He is a terrific player. He will get some points and big plays, but he will get hit hard as the UMass defense just will keep coming. UMass blitzed 39 out of 55 offensive plays against Lafayette. The UMass defense will get burned on a few plays, but they will do extensive damage to UNH. Relentess defense. Santos will have his hands full. For UNH to stay in this game, the UNH defense will have to step up, as they have played ok this year. I also believe UNH will be missing some starters for this game on defense. That hurts them further in a weak spot. Also, UMass supposively has one of their best O-lineman returning from injury this week, Colocchio. Big kid, 6-5 ,310 or so. His replacement has played well this season, and is much smaller 6'3-270. That will open up some nice holes for Mr. Baylark and company. If he doesn't play, his replacement has been doing a terrific job..no loss there.

Bruce Dowd in his A-10 commentary this week commented on mistakes, and I have seen some in this message board as well. Mr. Dowd predicted UNH taking it to UMass, as he had a feeling after looking into the eyes of the New Hampshire players after the game against Hampton. First of all, Hampton plays in a weak league, and are rated low in the power rankings. Their conference power ratings are at the bottom of the CS divisions. The MEAC conference has not won a first round game in 8 or 9 years. The playoff committee may want to rebuff the MEAC' auto bid. Portland State or Maine would have been a better choice this year. Anyhow, Mr. Dowd doesn't realize that every team that wins has that look in their eyes after a win, wether it's pop warner or major college. The UNH players eyes were big because they realized they have to play the #1 power rated team again in the country. Show me a team this year that hasn't made mistakes. UMass can make a mistake and still beat New Hampshire. They have that kind of talent. Montana will be a different story, if both respected teams win. I have seen some comments about 1-A transfers coming to UMass and that it is not fair. Division 1 players are division 1 players, wether it is BS or CS. UMass, New Hampshire, Maine and JMU would have been competitive and won games in the Big Ten(or is it 12 now?) conference this year if they were members. Ball State gave Michigan a run for their money. Ball State was beaten by North Dakota State this year..Any Given Saturday my friends.

I have all the respect for UNH and any A-10 team out there. If UNH wins on Saturday, and I do believe they have a shot. They will have to have alot of things go their way though. Wind gust's predicted up to 30. m.p.h. Could hurt the passing game! If they win, I will eat some crow, but I will be cheering them on in the semi's. I don't think it will happen though. I don't see this game as close as everbody thinks. UMass by 10 points. Good luck to all players and fans. Have a safe trip to all going to the game. I will be there, wouldn't miss this game for the world.

UNH SUPERFAN
December 1st, 2006, 01:44 PM
I was a nervous wreck before last week's game vs Hampton but I feel a confidence this week.

I believe that UNH will protect the ball and play turnover-free football.

The idea that UNH cannot play defense is not accurate. As with everything in football statistics can be deceiving. I will bet that the Wildcats play enough defense to win tomorrow. In the game a few weeks ago we almost had Coen sacked a few times. We close the deal on that and it makes a huge difference.

You can always count on UMASS for a few boneheaded plays. For the last few years it has been their downfall. Look for that to continue tomorrow.

umassfan
December 1st, 2006, 01:48 PM
I was a nervous wreck before last week's game vs Hampton but I feel a confidence this week.

I believe that UNH will protect the ball and play turnover-free football.

The idea that UNH cannot play defense is not accurate. As with everything in football statistics can be deceiving. I will bet that the Wildcats play enough defense to win tomorrow. In the game a few weeks ago we almost had Coen sacked a few times. We close the deal on that and it makes a huge difference.

You can always count on UMASS for a few boneheaded plays. For the last few years it has been their downfall. Look for that to continue tomorrow.

UNH played great defense last week didnt they?

rcny46
December 1st, 2006, 02:49 PM
Just to be completely accurate, I believe that J.E. Frederickson on UNH is a transfer from Kent State. But IIRC he came to UNH with four years of eligibility remaining.

I knew there were transfers on UMass, but I didn't know there were that many!! :eek:

You're right about J.E.Frederickson,whose father,Tucker, played in the NFL.Husain Karim is also a transfer,but he played at another CS school,Holy Cross,and had to sit out last season as a result.

rcny46
December 1st, 2006, 02:52 PM
hmmm...I missed those transfers - they don't list their schools on the roster

Someone asked about Mike Boyle position in high school - he was a QB but played all skill positions...he was a legend...a 4 year starter, the team went 44-0 with 4 State Championships! That's good stuff

He also played on a national championship Pop Warner football team-from Plymouth,N.H. of all places-prior to HS.

Maverick
December 1st, 2006, 03:12 PM
KAUMASS,
Nice analysis of the game, but then again I would expect an old linebacker to be able to do that. (That is if I am right about whom I believe you to be!) Hope things are going well for you wherever you are. Wonder what kind of blitz packages Coach Brown has for this one?

bkrownd
December 1st, 2006, 03:16 PM

One word: aluminum bleachers. Brrrrr

OxSoxUNH05
December 1st, 2006, 03:23 PM
One word: aluminum bleachers. Brrrrr

Quality UMass Education :thumbsup: Hint: Thats two words

UNHWildCats
December 1st, 2006, 03:27 PM
Quality UMass Education :thumbsup: Hint: Thats two words

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

OxSoxUNH05
December 1st, 2006, 03:37 PM
In all seriousness though. I am pumped up for this game. I made it to the UMASS -UNH game in Durham a few weeks ago and believe fully that UNH could have pulled that one out with a bit better play calling. I fully expect to have a ball on Saturday, after pulling strings to be able to make it to the game, regardless of the outcome.