PDA

View Full Version : Preseason Coaches Poll

UNIFanSince1983
August 5th, 2015, 03:28 PM
I hadn't seen anything about it so thought I would post. If there was something already posted you can delete or merge if you would like.

North Dakota State (24)
15-1

Illinois State
13-2

Villanova
11-3

Sam Houston State
11-5

Coastal Carolina
12-2

Eastern Washington
11-3

New Hampshire
12-2

Chattanooga
10-4

Jacksonville State
10-2

Northern Iowa
9-5

Montana State
8-5

Montana
9-5

James Madison
9-3

Liberty
9-5

South Dakota State
9-5

Youngstown State
7-5

Eastern Kentucky
9-4

Richmond
9-5

Southeastern Louisiana
9-4

Indiana State
8-6

Fordham
11-3

Harvard
10-0

McNeese State
6-5
NR

Idaho State
8-4
NR

Eastern Illinois
5-7
NR

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll?sf11714920=1

SU DOG
August 5th, 2015, 04:25 PM
OK, I admit I'm a "homer" but 43 teams in the FCS better than Samford? I just don't think so.

ElCid
August 5th, 2015, 04:28 PM
It is actually not too terribly different from the AGS poll. A spot or two here and there.

Here are the ORV:

Others Receiving Votes: Alcorn State 52, Stephen F. Austin 51, William & Mary 43, Cal Poly 42, Northern Arizona 34, Bethune-Cookman 25, North Carolina A&T 24, Jackson State 21, South Carolina State 21, Charleston Southern 14, Sacred Heart 14, Western Carolina 13, Furman 12, South Dakota 12, Maine 9, Bucknell 9, Lehigh 8, Towson 5, Samford 5, Bryant 4, San Diego 4, Yale 4, Central Arkansas 2, Duquesne 2, UT Martin 1.

ElCid
August 5th, 2015, 04:30 PM
OK, I admit I'm a "homer" but 43 teams in the FCS better than Samford? I just don't think so.

Nope. Don't need to be a homer to see that. I had you at 17. Probably anti-SOCON bias.

Jackal
August 5th, 2015, 04:31 PM
It is actually not too terribly different from the AGS poll. A spot or two here and there.

Here are the ORV:

Others Receiving Votes: Alcorn State 52, Stephen F. Austin 51, William & Mary 43, Cal Poly 42, Northern Arizona 34, Bethune-Cookman 25, North Carolina A&T 24, Jackson State 21, South Carolina State 21, Charleston Southern 14, Sacred Heart 14, Western Carolina 13, Furman 12, South Dakota 12, Maine 9, Bucknell 9, Lehigh 8, Towson 5, Samford 5, Bryant 4, San Diego 4, Yale 4, Central Arkansas 2, Duquesne 2, UT Martin 1.

hmm....

ElCid
August 5th, 2015, 04:37 PM
hmm....

While I was primarily talking about the actual top 25, I did missed that big time! I was actually surprised Furman was in there. They could end up in but not now. Too many unknowns still. But I normally don't care too much about the ORV except for the fist two or three. The rest are usually "agenda" votes.

McNeese72
August 5th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Awwwww!!!! What do head coaches know??? ;)

Doc

BisonTru
August 5th, 2015, 04:48 PM
hmm....

I'm gonna guess someone voted for USD thinking SDSU.

Catsfan90
August 5th, 2015, 04:49 PM
Meh, preseason polls are just baselines. As the year goes Samford will show us where they belong.

ElCid
August 5th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Here is who is responsible for the Coaches poll this year.

Big Sky
Big South
Colonial
Ivy
Mid-Eastern
Missouri Valley

Cal Poly
Chas So
Elon
Columbia
NC A&T
N Iowa

E Wash
Kennesaw St
Towson
Harvard
SC St
S Dakota

Northeast
Ohio Valley
Patriot
Pioneer
Southern
Southland

Sacred Heart
Austin Peay
Colgate
Jacksonville
UTC
SF Austin

Duquesne
E Illinois
Fordham
Marist
Furman
McNeese

Go Green
August 5th, 2015, 05:06 PM
Not sure why the FCS pollsters like Yale over Dartmouth so much.

We won the head-on game last season and are bringing more firepower back. But Yale gets votes in the 2014 final poll and the 2015 preseason poll. And we don't.

Going to have to beat the Yalies by even more this Fall.

SU DOG
August 5th, 2015, 05:22 PM
"Preseason polls don't matter" "Don't worry, It will all work out as the season goes along" ... and as many other cliché' expressions as one cares to quote. What this says to me presently, however, is that Samford has a long ways to go to become relevant. We just don't have the history and tradition to be nationally respected. I hope that over time this will change. I guess we have no one but ourselves to blame. While other schools were becoming powers, Samford was taking a long 10 year hiatus(74-83) from football. Then after a brief run by Terry Bowden, we became one of the worst 1AA(later FCS) teams in the country. Pat Sullivan began changing this, but it is still a work in progress, and plenty of winning must still get done. That's my analysis, not that anybody else cares, but I think there is much logic in my words.

Professor Chaos
August 5th, 2015, 05:34 PM
"Preseason polls don't matter" "Don't worry, It will all work out as the season goes along" ... and as many other cliché' expressions as one cares to quote. What this says to me presently, however, is that Samford has a long ways to go to become relevant. We just don't have the history and tradition to be nationally respected. I hope that over time this will change. I guess we have no one but ourselves to blame. While other schools were becoming powers, Samford was taking a long 10 year hiatus(74-83) from football. Then after a brief run by Terry Bowden, we became one of the worst 1AA(later FCS) teams in the country. Pat Sullivan began changing this, but it is still a work in progress, and plenty of winning must still get done. That's my analysis, not that anybody else cares, but I think there is much logic in my words.
Keep on mind that Illinois St got all of 1 point in the preseason coaches poll last year.

paward
August 5th, 2015, 06:00 PM
It is a good poll. Looks like some assistant is doing their job.

KPSUL
August 5th, 2015, 06:47 PM
Not sure why the FCS pollsters like Yale over Dartmouth so much.

We won the head-on game last season and are bringing more firepower back. But Yale gets votes in the 2014 final poll and the 2015 preseason poll. And we don't.

Going to have to beat the Yalies by even more this Fall.

Looks like you've got Yale in Hanover, as well as you toughest OOC (Sacred Heart). I'd like to see Dartmouth win the Ivy and end up ranked, but I think you'd need to beat Harvard in Cambridge to make that happen.

caribbeanhen
August 5th, 2015, 07:06 PM
not sure what Nova has done besides losing a playoff game to Sammy to get ranked ahead of them to start the season..... must be the KC effect!

Sundog
August 5th, 2015, 07:16 PM
I'm gonna guess someone voted for USD thinking SDSU.

Or the South Dakota coach doing a little self-lovin'....

caribbeanhen
August 5th, 2015, 09:54 PM
not sure what Nova has done besides losing a playoff game to Sammy to get ranked ahead of them to start the season..... must be the KC effect! Well seeing as there are no nova fans on the board I will answer for them The difference is their quarterback will be healthy to start the season !

Gangtackle11
August 6th, 2015, 06:29 AM
Well, I voted SHSU ahead of Villanova in the AGS poll rewarding KC & SHSU band for knocking off Nova last season.

Cats have some headline names, but holes to fill on offense. Robertson is a magician, but their defense (8 starters back) may determine their lofty status!

Go 'Cats!

MR. CHICKEN
August 6th, 2015, 06:48 AM

Big Sky
Big South
Colonial
Ivy
Mid-Eastern
Missouri Valley

Cal Poly
Chas So
Elon
Columbia
NC A&T
N Iowa

E Wash
Kennesaw St
Towson
Harvard
SC St
S Dakota

Northeast
Ohio Valley
Patriot
Pioneer
Southern
Southland

Sacred Heart
Austin Peay
Colgate
Jacksonville
UTC
SF Austin

Duquesne
E Illinois
Fordham
Marist
Furman
McNeese

.....'SPLAINS...DUH TOWSON INTEREST......DEY'RE PICKED 9th....BAH CAA....8th IN SPORTIN' NEWS.....xrolleyesx....AWK!

walliver
August 6th, 2015, 08:45 AM

FCS football is a niche product, and the AD's who actually cast the votes generally know little about teams outside their area other than reputations. Samford has been competitive lately in the SoCon, but has not make a statement at the national level. No conference championships or good playoff runs. Until you do that, expect low rankings.

Almost all FCS polls are based more on historic reputation than on-field performance, especially early in the season.

Terry2889
August 6th, 2015, 08:51 AM
not sure what Nova has done besides losing a playoff game to Sammy to get ranked ahead of them to start the season..... must be the KC effect!

Villanova had a jv team on the field for that game... They're right where they should be.

Nova09
August 6th, 2015, 09:02 AM

uhhhh...got the Payton Award winner healthy?

dewey
August 6th, 2015, 09:11 AM
One of the reporters in Fargo that does an amazing job covering the FCS and NDSU had this on the blog.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/coaches-make-your-votes-public/

The first coaches poll for 2015 was released on Wednesday, and while there is the usual bantering and bickering about how a team could be ranked higher than another, that was overshadowed at least in my world.

Below is the first coaches poll of the season:

While you can squabble over a couple of teams, how New Hampshire a semifinalist last year is ranked behind Coastal Carolina and Eastern Washington, two teams that lost in the round before UNH? I know it’s a poll forecasting the new season, but the bigger complaint is that South Dakota received votes. Not one, not two, but 12!

South Dakota, which won two games last year, predicted to finish last by the media in the Missouri Valley, who’s starting quarterback will not play this season because of injury.

South Dakota, which didn’t win a conference game last year.

This isn’t me blasting USD, which of course made sure that news splashed on its web site that the team received votes in the coaches poll.

We know what happened here. We’ve seen it before. Clearly some coaches wanted to vote for South Dakota State, but instead voted for South Dakota.

NDSU ran full tilt into this about four years ago, when the Bison lost ground in a poll when they didn’t play. Coaches mistakenly voted for North Dakota and not for North Dakota State.

There’s a simple solution to this. Coaches, make your votes public! I understand that the head coach is busy gameplanning and prepping for the upcoming opponent, but if you’re going to be on the committee to vote, you need to take this seriously. I understand that the playoff committee doesn’t look at the poll, but still if this is Division 1 football, can you imagine if *Miami of Ohio got mistaken for Miami of Florida?

Make your votes public. I’m proud to serve on a couple of voting committees and I make sure my votes are put out as soon I vote. The reasons are for transparency and for research (so I can look back and see if I fairly moved teams up or down based on each week). This is what needs to happen to the coaches poll.

- See more at: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/coaches-make-your-votes-public/#sthash.N8ifjlNY.dpuf

For the record he always puts his top 25 on his blog every week for discussion and transparency.

Dewey

caribbeanhen
August 6th, 2015, 09:47 AM
uhhhh...got the Payton Award winner healthy?

ahhhhhh. read the post after that one college boyxdrunkyx

Professor Chaos
August 6th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Well, I voted SHSU ahead of Villanova in the AGS poll rewarding KC & SHSU band for knocking off Nova last season.

Cats have some headline names, but holes to fill on offense. Robertson is a magician, but their defense (8 starters back) may determine their lofty status!

Go 'Cats!
Have they managed to find a FG kicker though?

Toby
August 6th, 2015, 10:08 AM

Big Sky
Big South
Colonial
Ivy
Mid-Eastern
Missouri Valley

Cal Poly
Chas So
Elon
Columbia
NC A&T
N Iowa

E Wash
Kennesaw St
Towson
Harvard
SC St
S Dakota

Northeast
Ohio Valley
Patriot
Pioneer
Southern
Southland

Sacred Heart
Austin Peay
Colgate
Jacksonville
UTC
SF Austin

Duquesne
E Illinois
Fordham
Marist
Furman
McNeese

I would be interesting to see how Bobby Fowler (or his designee) voted Furman and Samford.

smallcollegefbfan
August 6th, 2015, 10:13 AM

You have to win year after year to get the reputation that no matter what you return you should be good. Teams who get over hyped in the preseason have earned that right because they have won so much and people figure they will just replace the talent they lost.

Terry2889
August 6th, 2015, 05:37 PM
One of the reporters in Fargo that does an amazing job covering the FCS and NDSU had this on the blog.

The first coaches poll for 2015 was released on Wednesday, and while there is the usual bantering and bickering about how a team could be ranked higher than another, that was overshadowed at least in my world.

While you can squabble over a couple of teams, how New Hampshire a semifinalist last year is ranked behind Coastal Carolina and Eastern Washington, two teams that lost in the round before UNH? I know it’s a poll forecasting the new season, but the bigger complaint is that South Dakota received votes. Not one, not two, but 12!

South Dakota, which won two games last year, predicted to finish last by the media in the Missouri Valley, who’s starting quarterback will not play this season because of injury.

This isn’t me blasting USD, which of course made sure that news splashed on its web site that the team received votes in the coaches poll.

We know what happened here. We’ve seen it before. Clearly some coaches wanted to vote for South Dakota State, but instead voted for South Dakota.

NDSU ran full tilt into this about four years ago, when the Bison lost ground in a poll when they didn’t play. Coaches mistakenly voted for North Dakota and not for North Dakota State.

There’s a simple solution to this. Coaches, make your votes public! I understand that the head coach is busy gameplanning and prepping for the upcoming opponent, but if you’re going to be on the committee to vote, you need to take this seriously. I understand that the playoff committee doesn’t look at the poll, but still if this is Division 1 football, can you imagine if *Miami of Ohio got mistaken for Miami of Florida?

Make your votes public. I’m proud to serve on a couple of voting committees and I make sure my votes are put out as soon I vote. The reasons are for transparency and for research (so I can look back and see if I fairly moved teams up or down based on each week). This is what needs to happen to the coaches poll.

- See more at: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/coaches-make-your-votes-public/#sthash.N8ifjlNY.dpuf

For the record he always puts his top 25 on his blog every week for discussion and transparency.

Dewey
Actually I think UNH is too high based on what we lost from last year. Our only savior is another very favorable schedule.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 6th, 2015, 05:47 PM
Villanova had a jv team on the field for that game... They're right where they should be.

As a Temple guy it pains me to say that I totally agree. I had them #2 on my AGS ballot. I know they have some holes to fill and the kicking game remains a bit sketchy. Even so, their offense under Robertson is a bitch to defend and Talley recruits at a very high level.

If they don't beat UConn I'll be surprised.

Herder
August 7th, 2015, 07:54 AM

Dewey

Between the lack of effort/study, the massive amount of bias, and the obvious homerism that goes into these polls, it would be extremely embarrassing and exposing if these individual polls were made public. It would certainly make people accountable, and would also shame a few pollsters.

If you think back about 5 years, the Sports Network polls were the ones that were so biased that it was hard to believe. Things have actually improved IMO since that time. The top 10 used to be all CAA and SoCon whether they deserved it or not, and scraps to the rest.

SU DOG
August 7th, 2015, 10:39 AM
I would be interesting to see how Bobby Fowler (or his designee) voted Furman and Samford.

I don't know about Fowler, but according to Twitter, Russ Huesman voted Samford #25, but said "If there's 20 teams better than them(Samford), I'd be shocked."