PDA

View Full Version : Montana has enough integrity to suspend players.

IBleedYellow
August 5th, 2015, 08:59 AM
Montana suspended their senior OLB Gamboa after he was arrested on last Friday morning.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/griz-lb-gamboa-suspended-for-season-opener-after-arrest/article_3b0d9da1-e6bb-56a1-a0f8-c0fe0eb8cf69.html

Glad to see a top program still has integrity.

Also, apparently: Instigating a fight at a house party >>>>>>>> selling drugs to police officer.

Take note, players.

- - - Updated - - -

Note: Seriously, good job Montana.

Shame on Illinois State for sweeping Coprich under the rug.

tomq04
August 5th, 2015, 10:14 AM
But but but, ISU needs him to have a run at the Bizon.

Grizalltheway
August 5th, 2015, 10:42 AM
Yeah, after all the troubles under Hauck and Pflugrad it's good to see the new regime send a message that they're going to run a tight ship.

Lehigh'98
August 5th, 2015, 11:08 AM
Montana suspended their senior OLB Gamboa after he was arrested on last Friday morning.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/griz-lb-gamboa-suspended-for-season-opener-after-arrest/article_3b0d9da1-e6bb-56a1-a0f8-c0fe0eb8cf69.html

Violent offense vs. non violent offense. Marijuana, yep, fighting is worse.
Glad to see a top program still has integrity.

Also, apparently: Instigating a fight at a house party >>>>>>>> selling drugs to police officer.

Take note, players.

- - - Updated - - -

Note: Seriously, good job Montana.

Shame on Illinois State for sweeping Coprich under the rug.

Violent offense vs. non violent. Yes, its worse.

dewey
August 5th, 2015, 11:11 AM
Violent offense vs. non violent. Yes, its worse.

Actually it was NOT violent as he was challenging people to fight but there was no actual violence. Unless of course challenging people to fight is worse than selling drugs to a cop.

Here is an excerpt from the article.

Gamboa, 21, was arrested early Friday morning after witnesses saw him challenging other people to fight outside a Maurice Avenue house party at about 12:30 a.m.
He pleaded guilty Monday in Missoula Municipal Court to one disorderly conduct charge, a misdemeanor, and received a six-month deferred sentence.

Dewey

clenz
August 5th, 2015, 11:13 AM
One committed a felony....

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

TheKingpin28
August 5th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Integrity vs runner up championship. Respect to Montana

IBleedYellow
August 5th, 2015, 11:29 AM

And one was taunting people.

The other got off with a slap on the wrist.

Lehigh'98
August 5th, 2015, 11:54 AM

Was he convicted of a felony?

clenz
August 5th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Plead guilty to receive a deferred judgment so that he wasn't facing a trial he'd have lost on felony charges

dewey
August 5th, 2015, 12:16 PM

Yes he was. See the exceprt from an article below.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/isu-all-american-rb-coprich-pleads-guilty-reinstated-to-team/article_e9e44383-3aab-5e0f-850f-df9d19d0ddca.html
BLOOMINGTON — Marshaun Coprich, the All-American Illinois State University football player, has been reinstated to the team after pleading guilty to drug charges Friday and being placed on probation.
In a plea agreement reached with the state on the day he was set to be arraigned, Coprich admitted he sold nine grams of marijuana to a police informant on April 16 in Normal.
Coprich was placed on first offender probation that allows his felony conviction to be erased if he successfully completes two years on probation.

Dewey

Lehigh'98
August 5th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Yes he was. See the exceprt from an article below.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/isu-all-american-rb-coprich-pleads-guilty-reinstated-to-team/article_e9e44383-3aab-5e0f-850f-df9d19d0ddca.html
BLOOMINGTON — Marshaun Coprich, the All-American Illinois State University football player, has been reinstated to the team after pleading guilty to drug charges Friday and being placed on probation.
In a plea agreement reached with the state on the day he was set to be arraigned, Coprich admitted he sold nine grams of marijuana to a police informant on April 16 in Normal.
Coprich was placed on first offender probation that allows his felony conviction to be erased if he successfully completes two years on probation.

Dewey

According to state law, 9 grams is a Class A misdemeanor. That's what he pleaded to, 9 grams. I don't know what the team rules at ISU are. Coach handled it the way he felt best. Let's all move on.

dewey
August 5th, 2015, 12:43 PM
According to state law, 9 grams is a Class A misdemeanor. That's what he pleaded to, 9 grams. I don't know what the team rules at ISU are. Coach handled it the way he felt best. Let's all move on.

I agree that the coach can handle his program the way he feels is the best. However the fact is Coprich pleaded guilty to a felony (here is what he was charged with before the plea deal...According to McLean County Circuit Court records, Coprich is charged with delivery of more than 10 but less than 30 grams of marijuana, a Class 4 felony.) as stated in my previous post.

IMHO selling drugs (between 10 grams and 30 grams-a felony amount) is worse than challenging people to fight.

Kudos to Montana for sitting their starting OLB for the NDSU game in a possible effort to send a clear message to the rest of the team.

Dewey

eiu1999
August 5th, 2015, 01:04 PM
But as someone else mentioned, had this been the backup laundry attendant, he would have been dismissed immediately and the coach saying 'we have no place for that kind of ......"

AshevilleApp2
August 5th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Not going to read through this past the first couple of posts. But let's clarify something. Selling weed to a cop is no more illegal than selling it to someone else. Carry on.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 5th, 2015, 01:15 PM
But as someone else mentioned, had this been the backup laundry attendant, he would have been dismissed immediately and the coach saying 'we have no place for that kind of ......"

Oh bull****. I'm getting tired of all the holier than thou's over this or Coprich's big drug sale...f'n marijuana...might as well have been booze.

If it was the backup laundry attendant not one person would give a rat's ass, if it were ANY OTHER student not one person would give a ****.

I'm absolutely fine with him sitting for the game cuz he was getting out of line and causing trouble. If you are the coach and think sitting him is the way to go. If he thought it wasn't I wouldn't be overly pissed about it because we all sit out here and give commentary on items that don't affect us in any way other than to comment on them...while the people in these situations actually have real skin in the game.

Sorry, your statement is complete horse ****. You are a good dude that said something bad, I forgive you.:pxthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
August 5th, 2015, 01:45 PM
People also need to look at the reality that Montana is under a first year head coach and Illinois St has an established head coach. Right or wrong the established coach has the luxury of a lot more "gray area" in his disciplinary decisions than a first year coach has. If NDSU LB Travis Beck would've had his altercation a year later in Klieman's first summer as the coach as compared to Bohl's 10th I think it's a strong possibility he would've been suspended regardless of how much fault he did or didn't have in starting that fight.

Grizalltheway
August 5th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Damn Ursus, always holding back and mincing words.

Green26
August 5th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I'm fine with the MT coach/UM doing what it did, or what he thought he needed to do as a new coach. However, are some of you saying that an arrest for instigating a fight, in which one punch was thrown (and no one complained about the punch or got hurt), should always result in a one-game suspension? What if the guy getting hit had just pushed the guy throwing the punch? What if there had not been an arrest? What if there were a half dozen guys involved, and only one was arrested? What if they arrested the wrong guy (not saying that occurred in this situation)? Or is it the pleading guilty to disorderly conduct? Seems like there are many players who plead guilty to disorderly conduct and don't get suspended for a game.

344Johnson
August 5th, 2015, 02:52 PM
People are still crying over the Illinois St guy?

ursus arctos horribilis
August 5th, 2015, 06:26 PM
According to Randy Reinhardt on twitter: "Spack said that Coprich has been stripped of captaincy and has had scholorship reduced by an undetermined amount"

Put it on the Coprich thread brother. This is exactly why that stuff doesn't need to be compared back and forth just to f up another thread on the FCSD board.

I understand why you would post it there in answer to those that were bringing it in here in the first place but we have a smoldering mess already on that subject so probably would be better to keep the steaming pile in one place.xthumbsupx

UNI Pike
August 5th, 2015, 07:42 PM
Kudos to the new sheriff in Missoula. Guessing the landscape is a bit different than dealing with a team that had average ACT of 30 @ CO Mines.

From my NSA monitored nexus 5

Bisonator
August 5th, 2015, 08:44 PM
I doubt this was Stitts decision. Didn'tMontana implement a disciplinary board a few years ago? Not saying Stitt wouldn't have made the same call. Not sure if that incident warrants a suspension IMO but that's not my decision either.

344Johnson
August 5th, 2015, 11:47 PM
So he was taunting people at a party seeing if anyone wanted to fight?

Shouldn't have put himself in that position. Football's a privilege, not a right. Zero problem with the University/Coach/Whomever dropping a small hammer on him.

superman7515
August 6th, 2015, 04:44 AM
https://scontent-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11831819_10153269354359998_2251699722600209846_n.p ng?oh=06d3dd90f78c3a12e7b6766d3048d05e&oe=564736BB

Redbird Ray
August 6th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Illinois State has a legitimate chance at beating Iowa with Coprich in the game. Any time an FCS team beats a program of Iowa's stature, it's a win not only for that program involved but for the conference and for FCS as a whole. It's certainly not ethical, but any time an FCS team takes the field against an FBS foe (barring something horrific like rape, murder, human trafficking, etc), I want that FCS squad at full strength.

It sucks but yes, preferential treatment is almost always given to those that are exceptional at something in life. Deal with it.

Professor Chaos
August 6th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Illinois State has a legitimate chance at beating Iowa with Coprich in the game. Any time an FCS team beats a program of Iowa's stature, it's a win not only for that program involved but for the conference and for FCS as a whole. It's certainly not ethical, but any time an FCS team takes the field against an FBS foe (barring something horrific like rape, murder, human trafficking, etc), I want that FCS squad at full strength.

It sucks but yes, preferential treatment is almost always given to those that are exceptional at something in life. Deal with it.
Uh-oh, I think you've pissed off the big bear.... everyone scatter!!!

UNIFanSince1983
August 6th, 2015, 10:15 AM
Let's face it life isn't fair and not all things are the same. Two people who work at the same place could get arrested for the same thing at different times and with different bosses could be handled quite differently. No matter how we feel about it that is the way things are. Different people handle situations differently, and that is the way life works.

Look at Greg Hardy vs Ray Rice. Both released from their teams, but look who got a job and who didn't. One was still dominant the last time he was one the field and one averaged 3.1 ypc. Same crime handled much differently by different people.

Get over Coprich not being suspended. You bitching about it on this message board won't change Spack's decision.

chattownmocs
August 6th, 2015, 11:38 AM
One incident happened in April and was resolved in may correct? I don't know either one should be suspended for a game.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 6th, 2015, 11:43 AM

Seriously dude, cut the ****.,

eiu1999
August 6th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Seriously dude, cut the ****.,

Oh, he's just kidding.

Green26
August 7th, 2015, 12:34 AM
I doubt this was Stitts decision. Didn'tMontana implement a disciplinary board a few years ago? Not saying Stitt wouldn't have made the same call. Not sure if that incident warrants a suspension IMO but that's not my decision either.

Stitt must have made the call. The penalties for this level of athletic code violation don't include a game suspension. The press said there were violations of the team and athletic code rules.

Herder
August 7th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Hey, let's not get carried away Montana's integrity. They've had a rough go of it the past 5 years. This was a good move and a step in the right direction.