PDA

View Full Version : Jacksonville Cheats

Go Green
August 2nd, 2015, 10:14 AM
Thanks to Big Green Alert for finding the story.

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/jacksonville-dolphins/2015-08-01/story/how-non-scholarship-football-jacksonville

Funny thing is that Brown got nailed by the Ivy 15 years ago for doing pretty much the same stuff.

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2000/8/4/brown-football-punished-for-recruiting-violations/

caribbeanhen
August 2nd, 2015, 11:26 AM
Jacksonville got caught, many cheat!

NoDak 4 Ever
August 2nd, 2015, 11:28 AM
Who cares? The only reason Jacksonville exists is to screw up my ballot by missing the drop down entry.

Smitty
August 2nd, 2015, 11:58 AM
Who cares? The only reason Jacksonville exists is to screw up my ballot by missing the drop down entry.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NoDak 4 Ever again.

clenz
August 2nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
Jacksonville got caught, many cheat!
The quotes in many articles about this state exactly that.

Patty V basically admitted "These things are happening everywhere and we knew about it but didn't care to do anything because there was no playoff bid on the line. Now that there is we might enforce things a bit more"

What a joke of a conference set up.

Most, all, of those schools are better off being forced to pick one of the following

1. Find a full/partial scholarship football conference to join and actually play D1 ball..or become a partial scholly league like the NEC
2. Drop football
3. Go full on D3

Pant8her
August 2nd, 2015, 01:30 PM
Patty V basically admitted "These things are happening everywhere and we knew about it but didn't care to do anything because there was no playoff bid on the line. Now that there is we might enforce things a bit more"

What a joke of a conference set up.

Is Patty V the same person that is in charge of the MVFC/MVC? xsmhx What a joke of a leader!

UNI Pike
August 2nd, 2015, 02:29 PM
A commissioner is empowered to do whatever the collective will of the member schools allows. That said, the quote is fairly damning.

DFW HOYA
August 2nd, 2015, 03:02 PM
The article confirms the PFL allows proportional merit aid as long as the school offers merit aid. Each of the PFL schools offer this.

A commissioner is empowered to do whatever the collective will of the member schools allows.

Unless it's the Ivy, and then it's what Harvard wants.... xoopsx

Go Green
August 2nd, 2015, 03:27 PM
Who cares? .

The teams that lost to "non-scholarship" Jacksonville probably do. Those losses look less humiliating **coughPenncough** in light of the article.

Ivytalk
August 2nd, 2015, 05:57 PM
The teams that lost to "non-scholarship" Jacksonville probably do. Those losses look less humiliating **coughPenncough** in light of the article.
They deserve each other.

Model Citizen
August 2nd, 2015, 06:32 PM
Buried in the article is the league's formal decision to stick with its zero-equivalency aid policy.

Thanks to the reporter for caring about the subject.

Missingnumber7
August 2nd, 2015, 07:27 PM
Is Patty V the same person that is in charge of the MVFC/MVC? xsmhx What a joke of a leader!

That is was exactly my thoughts...no wonder the MVFC doesn't have a TV deal.

bonarae
August 2nd, 2015, 07:42 PM
Most, all, of those schools are better off being forced to pick one of the following

1. Find a full/partial scholarship football conference to join and actually play D1 ball..or become a partial scholly league like the NEC
2. Drop football
3. Go full on D3

Hmm, that should be the reality of these "poser" schools once the Dayton rule is revised, hopefully anytime soon and after the Division I convention. xsmhx

Model Citizen
August 2nd, 2015, 07:48 PM
That is was exactly my thoughts...no wonder the MVFC doesn't have a TV deal.

Your anger is misplaced. Any distraction from the MVFC comes from her primary job as women's sports administrator in the Missouri Valley Conference. Yes, women's sports are her priority...always have been.

She spends less than one percent of her time on the PFL.

Model Citizen
August 2nd, 2015, 07:55 PM
A commissioner is empowered to do whatever the collective will of the member schools allows. That said, the quote is fairly damning.

Clenz posted a fake quote...his spin on the reporter's narrative. Viverito said nothing remotely close.

centennial
August 2nd, 2015, 08:13 PM
Your anger is misplaced. Any distraction from the MVFC comes from her primary job as women's sports administrator in the Missouri Valley Conference. Yes, women's sports are her priority...always have been.

I am not a fan of Patty V. There was a lot of noise from the schools when only 2 MVFC teams got into the playoffs in 2013. This year she redeemed herself with 5 teams. IMO she should be replaced with someone that can get us a better TV deal and isn't a part timer.

DFW HOYA
August 2nd, 2015, 08:22 PM
Hmm, that should be the reality of these "poser" schools once the Dayton rule is revised, hopefully anytime soon and after the Division I convention. xsmhx

The Dayton Rule isn't getting revised and if it did, a lot of this subdivision would consign the Ancient Eight to the same three choices.

Model Citizen
August 2nd, 2015, 09:03 PM
I am not a fan of Patty V. ... IMO she should be replaced with someone that can get us a better TV deal and isn't a part timer.

Patty V is in her 60s, but when she retires, neither the MVFC nor the PFL will get a full-time commissioner. C'mon - a commissioner and her staff for one sport? That's like hiring a police department to watch only your house. Not happening.

Model Citizen
August 2nd, 2015, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=Go Green;2235628]Thanks to Big Green Alert...[\QUOTE]

Saw that blog's comment began with, "Over recent years Dartmouth and the Ivy League have been fashioning a scheduling relationship with the Pioneer Football League..."

Sounds like urban legend to me. If a relationship existed, wouldn't there be at least one PFL-Ivy game this year?

I understand Stetson is playing Ivy Leaguers in a year or two. Maybe it's Roger Hughes who has this so-called relationship.

bonarae
August 2nd, 2015, 11:15 PM
The Dayton Rule isn't getting revised and if it did, a lot of this subdivision would consign the Ancient Eight to the same three choices.

That is another problem on the Presidents' end. I think the Ivies are the root of the corundum that all started with the MAAC days... xsmhx

Model Citizen
August 2nd, 2015, 11:17 PM
(to Go Green) Speaking of Hughes, I know where your stolen 1998 uniforms went. xeyebrowx

kdinva
August 3rd, 2015, 07:46 AM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?170574-This-year-s-Pioneer-league-quot-bad-boy-quot-is

Lehigh Football Nation
August 3rd, 2015, 09:22 AM
Take a step back here. Isn't this rule sort-of ridiculous for a D-I school?

I can maybe see this rule at the D-III level when the entire athletic department is run this way. That would be special treatment for one set of athletes when the rest of the athletes are not getting any aid to speak of.

But it seems particularly disingenuous to punish football players for qualifying for this aid when, perhaps, something similar could be set up for men's basketball and it's completely legal. Talk about preferred citizens in an athletic department.

Furthermore, the kids did nothing wrong. They applied for the scholarship through the financial aid office (according to the head coach), and they were accepted. They played the entire year with the aspiration of getting a PFL championship and a shot at a school like Montana, and they had the rug pulled out from under them two weeks from the end of the season.

Model Citizen
August 3rd, 2015, 09:26 AM
Rules are rules. Don't agree to them if you intend to use them only to put your competitors at a disadvantage.

JU did this to its student-athletes. Want to offer football scholarships and play in the tournament? The Big South will probably take you as an associate member.

JU's athletic director is on record saying his school will honor the Leadership Scholarships to past recipients for the rest of their time in college. If those people are playing football for JU in 2016, 2017... that's a problem for Jacksonville and the PFL.

bonarae
August 3rd, 2015, 09:37 AM
Do problems like this and that of the Ivies show that the Dayton Rule is broken beyond repair, or that a few such conferences or schools seem to circumvent that rule?

In addition, should the NCAA intervene and force the PFL to be abolished through any means? We need to get rid of this dilemma that has plagued the PFL teams in the past 5 years or so. xsmhx xoopsx

Model Citizen
August 3rd, 2015, 09:41 AM
Do problems like this and that of the Ivies show that the Dayton Rule is broken beyond repair, or that a few such conferences or schools seem to circumvent that rule?

Circumvent the Dayton Rule? Is Harvard secretly in another division?

bonarae
August 3rd, 2015, 09:46 AM
Circumvent the Dayton Rule? Is Harvard secretly in another division?

We do not really understand why the Ivies do not care much about football anymore these days. We know that the SWAC and MEAC do not do the Road to Frisco for $$$, but why the Ivies do not participate in postseason football is beyond our comprehension.

Model Citizen
August 3rd, 2015, 09:52 AM
We're drifting into subjects not related to financial aid.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 3rd, 2015, 10:01 AM
The Ivy League's way around this was to spend a portion of their obscenely huge endowments towards scholarshipping every single student that can qualify academically. The only way, say, Harvard could offer leadership scholarships above and beyond the regular student aid would be to do so for those students whose families make more than $120,000 a year.

That's a very good thing for Ivy League students, and that's great. But they would never, ever face the same problem Jacksonville faced.

dgtw
August 3rd, 2015, 11:22 AM
If I am the PFL, I tell schools if they are caught doing this more than once, they are booted from the league or at least have their membership suspended for a year. Good luck getting a schedule as a non-scholarship independent. The PFL has enough members so losing someone won't be a problem for everyone who follows the rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lehigh Football Nation
August 3rd, 2015, 11:30 AM
If I am the PFL, I tell schools if they are caught doing this more than once, they are booted from the league or at least have their membership suspended for a year. Good luck getting a schedule as a non-scholarship independent. The PFL has enough members so losing someone won't be a problem for everyone who follows the rules.

They kind-of did with Jacksonville's punishment, to be fair.

Libertine
August 3rd, 2015, 12:37 PM
Good luck getting a schedule as a non-scholarship independent. The PFL has enough members so losing someone won't be a problem for everyone who follows the rules.

You realize that this idea also penalizes the rest of the PFL who are similarly non-scholarship and would then have to fill a void on their schedule? Good luck with that, too, I suppose. The PFL may have a fair number of members but those members also have to deal with an outsized geographic footprint.

Model Citizen
August 3rd, 2015, 12:56 PM
You realize that this idea also penalizes the rest of the PFL who are similarly non-scholarship and would then have to fill a void on their schedule? Good luck with that, too, I suppose.

No problem. I hear that Drake can pick up the phone anytime and get 12-14 games for next year.

Houndawg
August 3rd, 2015, 01:46 PM
We do not really understand why the Ivies do not care much about football anymore these days. We know that the SWAC and MEAC do not do the Road to Frisco for $$$, but why the Ivies do not participate in postseason football is beyond our comprehension.

They don't want the embarrassment?

clenz
August 3rd, 2015, 01:57 PM
No problem. I hear that Drake can pick up the phone anytime and get 12-14 games for next year.
If Drake wanted too they are one phone call away from a H/H with about 9 schools from a conversation that would take less than 3 min each

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Model Citizen
August 3rd, 2015, 02:42 PM
I know you want UNI to exploit its scholarship advantage over Drake as much as possible. Heaven knows it's been a long haul for the Panthers, to where they can now sniff something close to a .500 record against Drake.

But 9 Midwestern teams willing to do home-home? No. There's Vermillion's USD, and there's UNI. Another school talked Drake into a 3 for 1.

clenz
August 3rd, 2015, 03:23 PM
I know you want UNI to exploit its scholarship advantage over Drake as much as possible. Heaven knows it's been a long haul for the Panthers, to where they can now sniff something close to a .500 record against Drake.

But 9 Midwestern teams willing to do home-home? No. There's Vermillion's USD, and there's UNI. Another school talked Drake into a 3 for 1.
If Drake was willing they would have UNI, USD, SDSU, NDSU, SIU, ISUr, EIU, WIU, and likely SEMO

Let's put it this way. If Drake really wanted to step into the world of actually playing college football at a competitive level rather than getting beat by NAIA programs there are, at least those 9, willing to work with them.

The issue with getting those scheduled is Drake doesn't want to live in that world. Drake would rather lose to an NAIA than a D1 school. Drake makes it incredibly difficult to set a series up with them. It's their "right" to do so, and it is what it is. However, UNI wanted to do a H/H a decade ago and Drake would only do a 2-1 in Des Moines, so be it, that's still a virtual home game for UNI. More recently they demanded a 3-1 or 4-1 in DSM for a UNI series. Dannen told them to shove it and they came back and accepted a buy game at a pretty cheap price when they couldn't fill their schedule the way they wanted.

Drake wants to be D3, which is where they belong. They don't want to fund football but they still want football...cake and eat it too...

Hell, if it wasn't for the Drake Relays they wouldn't have a stadium and wouldn't have football at all either.

Sycamore62
August 3rd, 2015, 04:20 PM

Hey, that sounds like our previous AD. She was really into women's sports. She tried hard to dump the football program but failed (barely).

financial aid (just to keep on topic)

Go Green
August 5th, 2015, 05:04 AM
(to Go Green) Speaking of Hughes, I know where your stolen 1998 uniforms went. xeyebrowx

I see the resemblance. But when Teevens went to Tulane in 1992, he made the Green Wave's uniforms virtually identical to late 1980s-early 1990s Dartmouth's.

Didn't get the same result, though.