PDA

View Full Version : Early Betting Lines For SoCon Openers

SU DOG
July 27th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Posted for Entertainment Purposes ONLY!

Mars Hill @ Western Carolina: Catamounts by 25 points.

Davidson @ The Citadel: Baby Blue Bulldogs by 41.5 points.

VMI @ Ball State: Cardinals by 28.5 points.

Wofford @ Clemson: Tigers by 38 points.

Coastal Carolina @ Furman: Chanticleers by 15.5 points

Mercer @ Austin Peay: Bears by 7.5 points.

JSU @ UTC: Mocs by 6.5 points. NOTE - this line is falling.

UCA @ Samford: Bulldogs by 4 points. Usually home team gets +3, so this is basically even. Makes me nervous.

Toby
July 27th, 2015, 11:13 AM

UCA @ Samford: Bulldogs by 4 points. Usually home team gets +3, so this is basically even. Makes me nervous.

My early picks in Bold including point spreads.

SU DOG
July 27th, 2015, 11:16 AM
VMI? Really? That would sure be great for their program and for the SoCon, but I just don't see it happening.

OL FU
July 27th, 2015, 11:39 AM

I always hate big point spreads. The Citadel could run rings around Davidson and still only win by 35 points given the right set of circumstances.
I think the UTC JSU game is a really really good one. I think Chat got better as the season progressed last year and I expect that one to be down to the wire and I would give the Mocs the advantage ( Ok SoCon homer)
Under most analytical scenarios most people wouldn't have a problem with the CCU/FU point spread except that no matter how good one team is (usually CCU, unfortunately) the game has never been that far apart.

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2015, 11:46 AM
I always hate big point spreads. The Citadel could run rings around Davidson and still only win by 35 points given the right set of circumstances.
I think the UTC JSU game is a really really good one. I think Chat got better as the season progressed last year and I expect that one to be down to the wire and I would give the Mocs the advantage ( Ok SoCon homer)
Under most analytical scenarios most people wouldn't have a problem with the CCU/FU point spread except that no matter how good one team is (usually CCU, unfortunately) the game has never been that far apart.

Agree on the FU/CCU game. I'm actually OK with the oddsmakers keeping Furman within two scores of a top 5 time after coming off a 3-8 season.

Practically, I think only one CCU/FU game has been decided by more than one score. The last two in Greenville have gone into overtime. If its a 2+ score difference, it will be a sort of historical anomaly.

FUBeAR
July 27th, 2015, 12:13 PM
VMI? Really? That would sure be great for their program and for the SoCon, but I just don't see it happening.
I'm 'betting' Toby meant take the Keydets and the 28.5 points. Roar at me if I'm wrong Toby...

Toby
July 27th, 2015, 03:42 PM
I'm 'betting' Toby meant take the Keydets and the 28.5 points. Roar at me if I'm wrong Toby...

Absolutely. I think Cobb is able to keep this a bit closer, but don't think they can win.

Toby
July 27th, 2015, 03:45 PM

You mean to win or keep it under 28.5 points? I think Cobb will score 2-3 times but VMI will not be able to stop Ball State. Something like 42 - 17.

Toby
July 27th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Agree on the FU/CCU game. I'm actually OK with the oddsmakers keeping Furman within two scores of a top 5 time after coming off a 3-8 season.

Practically, I think only one CCU/FU game has been decided by more than one score. The last two in Greenville have gone into overtime. If its a 2+ score difference, it will be a sort of historical anomaly.

Furman is going to be better than the odds makers think and should keep this game in single digits.

SU DOG
July 27th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Yeah, Toby you DID say including point spread - my bad. BTW, the Bears do need to win that OOC game. Sure I'm a homer, but I just really believe that the SoCon is going to be far far better than most of the rest of FCS thinks. As has been discussed before, SoCon teams need to have some good early games in those OOC match-ups.

PaladinFan
July 27th, 2015, 04:23 PM
Furman is going to be better than the odds makers think and should keep this game in single digits.

Up in the air. We've given Coastal some pretty tough games despite being heavy underdogs, and had the game won last year in Greenville before (literally) letting it slip through our fingers.

FUBeAR
July 27th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Yeah, Toby you DID say including point spread - my bad. BTW, the Bears do need to win that OOC game. Sure I'm a homer, but I just really believe that the SoCon is going to be far far better than most of the rest of FCS thinks. As has been discussed before, SoCon teams need to have some good early games in those OOC match-ups.

Don't let him fool you Toby - he's not being all neighborly-like. He hopes Mercer beats APSU, Stetson, TnTech, and ETSU only to enhance Sammy's SoS. SU DOG would lose no sleep at all if the Bears go 4-7 as long as they win those 4 OOC games. Wondering, though, why a team that plans on winning the SoCon needs to worry one little bit about SoS. SoCon didn't lose the AQ bid, did they? Worrying about playoff seeding, I guess.
xsmiley_wix

SU DOG
July 27th, 2015, 05:50 PM
Don't let him fool you Toby - he's not being all neighborly-like. He hopes Mercer beats APSU, Stetson, TnTech, and ETSU only to enhance Sammy's SoS. SU DOG would lose no sleep at all if the Bears go 4-7 as long as they win those 4 OOC games. Wondering, though, why a team that plans on winning the SoCon needs to worry one little bit about SoS. SoCon didn't lose the AQ bid, did they? Worrying about playoff seeding, I guess.
xsmiley_wix

In all honesty, I have NOT given one thought to SOS. Just hoping that the SoCon can regain some lost respect. Also, at my age I really don't lose sleep over much of anything. LOL

OL FU
July 28th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Up in the air. We've given Coastal some pretty tough games despite being heavy underdogs, and had the game won last year in Greenville before (literally) letting it slip through our fingers.

Don't know if you saw it on the uffp or not, but a nice aside.

In the last two years we are 2-11 when Hannon doesn't start as QB.
9-3 when he does with losses to CCU, NDSU and LSU.

Not sure it means anything, but it can't hurt

Toby
July 28th, 2015, 12:01 PM

Samford is a hard team to predict at the moment with a new coach and new scheme. If they gel quickly, I think they are a top 25 team. But if it takes some time....

The Bulldogs have the talent.

SU DOG
July 28th, 2015, 12:14 PM
One more line is now up, and ETSU is an 8.5 underdog to Kennesaw State. Good luck to the Bucs.

Toby
July 28th, 2015, 12:22 PM
One more line is now up, and ETSU is an 8.5 underdog to Kennesaw State. Good luck to the Bucs.

How can anyone come up with a reasonable line for this game? Two start up programs.

PaladinFan
July 28th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Don't know if you saw it on the uffp or not, but a nice aside.

In the last two years we are 2-11 when Hannon doesn't start as QB.
9-3 when he does with losses to CCU, NDSU and LSU.

Not sure it means anything, but it can't hurt

Not only did I see that. I wrote it.

OL FU
July 28th, 2015, 02:30 PM
Not only did I see that. I wrote it.

Oh that's youxlolx

FUBeAR
July 28th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Oh that's youxlolx

He's sneaky like that...

jackal[jak-uh l, -awl]

noun

...a person who performs dishonest or base deeds...

PaladinFan
July 28th, 2015, 02:55 PM
Oh that's youxlolx

Not sure why I have two different handles. Made the decision too long ago to remember.

PaladinFan
July 28th, 2015, 02:56 PM
He's sneaky like that...

jackal[jak-uh l, -awl]

noun

...a person who performs dishonest or base deeds...

Cannot remember the reason behind it, but I think I was reading Clancy's "Rainbow Six" at the time.

dgtw
July 28th, 2015, 05:23 PM
I did not know you could bet on FCS games at sports books.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APaladindad
August 5th, 2015, 09:56 PM

UCA @ Samford: Bulldogs by 4 points. Usually home team gets +3, so this is basically even. Makes me nervous.My picks are in bold

walliver
August 6th, 2015, 09:04 AM
How can anyone come up with a reasonable line for this game? Two start up programs.

My guess it the the difference is based on Strength of Schedule. Kennesaw State plays a full Big South schedule, ETSU does not play anyone in the Southern Conference, although they do play Montana State, CSU, and Gardner-Webb, the rest of their schedule mimics Mercer's first year.

BearDownMU
August 6th, 2015, 09:43 AM
My guess it the the difference is based on Strength of Schedule. Kennesaw State plays a full Big South schedule, ETSU does not play anyone in the Southern Conference, although they do play Montana State, CSU, and Gardner-Webb, the rest of their schedule mimics Mercer's first year.

We play ETSU on October 17th, but it does not count as a conference game.

BearDownMU
August 6th, 2015, 09:49 AM

I don't understand the Mercer-Austin Peay line at all. I would bet everything I got on that one.

I know it's a new season, but we beat them 49-21 last year and for the most part, we have the exact same team with a year more experience. I know that Five Star Stadium is the FCS equivalent of LSU's stadium on a night game, but I don't think it's worth 28 points. ;)

chattownmocs
August 6th, 2015, 09:53 AM
I don't understand the Mercer-Austin Peay line at all. I would bet everything I got on that one.

I know it's a new season, but we beat them 49-21 last year and for the most part, we have the exact same team with a year more experience. I know that Five Star Stadium is the FCS equivalent of LSU's stadium on a night game, but I don't think it's worth 28 points. ;)

You can make money on fcs lines man. That is out there and isn't the craziest you will see either.