View Full Version : AGS All American - CORNERBACKS

ursus arctos horribilis
July 26th, 2015, 03:17 PM
This is the list UNLESS you as a member can convince me (us) that your guy should be included.

This is not done by "I can't believe you have x on but not my guy!". If you have someone...argue for them. Don't just use a few stats either, start there but also add some add some details like if the guy up against better competition and had a great game point out some highlights or his efforts from a game like that.

I'm not exactly sure when we will vote on this but I can assure you time is limited on this so don't loaf around and then bitch later about it...get on it.

The list of:

CORNERBACKS

DeAndre Houston-Carson, William & Mary, Sr.
Harlan Miller, Southeastern Louisiana, Sr.
Casey DeAndrade, New Hampshire, Jr.
James Bradberry, Samford, Sr.
LeShaun Sims, Southern Utah, Sr.
Matt Smalley, Lafayette, Sr.
Trenier Orr, Sam Houston State, Sr.
Jermaine Hough, Jacksonville State, Sr.
Marcus Alford, Northern Arizona, Sr.
Denzel Thompson, Southeastern Louisiana, Sr.
Tony McRae, North Carolina A&T, Sr.
Deiondre’ Hall, Northern Iowa, Sr.
Dee Virgin, Chattanooga, Jr.
Anthony Gaffney, Princeton, Sr.
CJ Smith, North Dakota State, Sr.
Trey Morgan, Western Carolina, Jr.

BisonFan02
July 26th, 2015, 03:20 PM
Any NDSU fans know CJ's health/status to start the year? I heard he might be missing some time to start the season.

kdinva
July 26th, 2015, 03:26 PM
VMI Soph. Greg Saunders will be a very good CB in time......should be 2nd team all SoCon come December...

FUBeAR
July 26th, 2015, 05:56 PM
I would like to make a case for Alex Avant from Mercer to be added to this list. While I recognize that he is, IMHO, under-appreciated in the SoCon, he was named to the Coaches Preseason All SoCon Team as well as the Media's All SoCon team in 2014. He was also All-PFL in 2013. Here are his stats from last season as well as the stats for the other 3 SoCon CB's on the list:

NAME
GP
TKL
AST
TOT
TKL/G
SCK
YDS
TFL
YDS
FF
FR
YDS
INT
YDS
BRUP

Alex Avant (MER)

Trey Morgan (WCU)

Dee Virgin (UTC)

James Bradberry (SAM)

Other than Morgan's # of INT's, Avant's # of Pass Breakups, and Bradberry's overall lesser stats, I don't see a lot of real 'differentiators' that I see among them.

So...I know the "Mercer only played middle school teams" comment will arise. So, I think we should look at what Avant did against, clearly, the top team in the SoCon, Chattanooga.

#
MERCER

SOLO
ASST
TOTAL

INT
BRUP

Alex Avant
-
-

-
1-0

If I'm not mistaken, 3 of those SOLO tackles were made coming all the way across the field and were TD-saving tackles. If you have a copy of the ASN Broadcast of that game, you should watch it to get a sense of how Avant played against the SoCon's best and what the Announcers thought of his play. I have asked ASN to put that game up in their game vault. They replied that they would try to get that done. If they do, I'll edit this post and include a link. UPDATE: No link yet, but I did receive this from ASN: "But thanks to your note, we have someone working to put the October games into the system, hopefully by COB today." So, maybe 'coming soon!'

As I don't have a highlight video for Alex available, I will just post this one clip. It was ESPN's Top Play of the Week back in 2013 and it came in Mercer's 1st game against a D1 Team (yes, PFL, I know) that was League Champions in the prior year. Skip ahead to the #1 Play - about 2:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qTya0bp-Zw

Finally - below are the 2013 Stats for Alex:

NAME
GP
TKL
AST
TOT
TKL/G
SCK
YDS
TFL
YDS
FF
FR
YDS
INT
YDS
BRUP

Alex Avant (MER)
36 (TD)

His numbers actually improved vs. better competition and I expect he will have an All-American caliber SR year in 2015.

Professor Chaos
July 26th, 2015, 07:45 PM
Any NDSU fans know CJ's health/status to start the year? I heard he might be missing some time to start the season.
I think when he was originally injured Kolpack and Izzo got the impression that he could be back in time for Montana but the more likely scenario is that he sits until the start of conference play 10/3 at SDSU. That was mostly speculative on their part though based on their conversation with coaches (who obviously aren't going to be completely forthcoming with injury news).

BisonFan02
July 26th, 2015, 08:21 PM
I think when he was originally injured Kolpack and Izzo got the impression that he could be back in time for Montana but the more likely scenario is that he sits until the start of conference play 10/3 at SDSU. That was mostly speculative on their part though based on their conversation with coaches (who obviously aren't going to be completely forthcoming with injury news).

Gotchya. That's what I heard too, and if he sits in the OOC, there would be a tough hill to climb to make any AA team.

Professor Chaos
July 27th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Gotchya. That's what I heard too, and if he sits in the OOC, there would be a tough hill to climb to make any AA team.
Yep, especially against those 3 Big Fluffy OOC opponents he could rack up the INTs against in the OOC slate. :D