PDA

View Full Version : AGS All American - WIDE RECEIVERS

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2015, 02:48 PM
This is the list UNLESS you as a member can convince me (us) that your guy should be included.

This is not done by "I can't believe you have x on but not my guy!". If you have someone...argue for them. Don't just use a few stats either, start there but also add some add some details like if the guy up against better competition and had a great game point out some highlights or his efforts from a game like that.

I'm not exactly sure when we will vote on this but I can assure you time is limited on this so don't loaf around and then bitch later about it...get on it.

The list of:

WIDE RECEIVERS

Cooper Kupp, Eastern Washington, Jr.
Darrin Peterson, Liberty, Sr.
Chris King, Duquesne, Sr.
Seth DeValve, Princeton, Sr.
Madison Mangum, Idaho State, Sr.
Jake Wieneke, South Dakota State, Soph.
Lance Lenoir, Western Illinois, Jr.
Spearman Robinson, Western Carolina, Jr.
Nnamdi Agude, Sacramento State, Sr.
Paul McRoberts, Southeast Missouri, Sr.
Reggie Diggs, Richmond, Sr.
Bruce Mapp, Coastal Carolina, Jr.
Ed Eagan, Northwestern State, Sr.
Ellis Henderson, Montana, Jr.
Zach Vraa, North Dakota State, Sr.
Cedric Gilbert, Abilene Christian, Sr.
Jordan Snellings, Furman, Sr.
Karnorris Benson, Western Carolina, Sr.
Brian Brown, Richmond, Jr.
Jamaal Jones, Montana, Sr.
LaDarius Brown, Sam Houston State, Sr.
Jerel Harrison, Delaware, Sr.
Courtney Whitehead, Central Arkansas, Sr.
Quentin Atkinson, North Carolina Central, Sr.
KW Williams, Idaho State, Jr.
Karel Hamilton, Samford, Jr.

FUBeAR
July 25th, 2015, 03:11 PM
Hamilton from Samford belongs on the list. I laid out the case for that in great detail on an earlier thread...maybe the one about "Maxwell Trophy Watch List." Maybe a Sammy fan could take the time to "grab" that info & post it here. He's the Top Returning WR in the SoCon & there are 3 other SoCon WR's on the list.

SU DOG
July 25th, 2015, 03:19 PM
Thanks BeAR, I would question any list without Hamilton on it. Here is some info that might help.

southern-conference-football-2015-ranking-the-wide-receivers-tight-ends-48de9e1603e8

SU DOG
July 25th, 2015, 03:25 PM
I can't seem to get the link to work, but it was from SoCon John's list where he ranked Hamilton the #1 SoCon WR. Maybe somebody more savvy than me can link it.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2015, 03:31 PM
Hamilton was suppose to be in there. Typo by me when I sent a list to Ursus for use. I have Hamilton and Spearman Robinson as the top 2 WRs in the SoCon.

We don't need to worry about where a fan of a school who may volunteer for a website ranks a player. The only outside lists we should let influence us would be a coaches' list or the AP or STATS list, making sure all of those names are included.

superman7515
July 25th, 2015, 03:59 PM
Surprised to see Jerel Harrison on there.

BisonFan02
July 25th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Time will tell, but I don't see Vraa putting up the numbers to be considered as far as NDSU WRs go. I think RJ Urzendowski might have a higher ceiling than Vraa even.

RichH2
July 25th, 2015, 04:52 PM
Tyler Pelletier Lehigh

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Tyler Pelletier Lehigh

Strong case you make Rich. xlolx

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 25th, 2015, 06:16 PM
Strong case you make Rich. xlolx

Jake Wieneke and Pelletier were the top 2 freshman wr's in the country last year imo. Pelletier has 49 receptions 815 yards and 7 TD's while playing as the #2 WR in a solid but not spectacular offense. Lehigh has historically, and recently, produced some excellent wr's. Spadola and Kurfis were both first team All-Americans in the last 5 years. If Lehigh can get improved QB play and Pelletier stays healthy the stats will be there.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2015, 07:58 PM
Jake Wieneke and Pelletier were the top 2 freshman wr's in the country last year imo. Pelletier has 49 receptions 815 yards and 7 TD's while playing as the #2 WR in a solid but not spectacular offense. Lehigh has historically, and recently, produced some excellent wr's. Spadola and Kurfis were both first team All-Americans in the last 5 years. If Lehigh can get improved QB play and Pelletier stays healthy the stats will be there.

Jake is a good player but he is sooooo slow. I bet he runs a 4.8 or 4.9 40. I actually think Pelletier is a little bit better athlete. I almost included Pelletier but I don't think he could come close to being a top 6 WR in the nation. After sending in names I actually think I could have left several of these off and they would not have been snubs. I went deep because its what they wanted me to send. I really only think 15 or so should be mentioned as a candidate for 1st or 2nd team.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2015, 08:01 PM

Better player than his numbers indicate. He can run and he has the talent to be a 1,000 yard receiver.

superman7515
July 25th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Better player than his numbers indicate. He can run and he has the talent to be a 1,000 yard receiver.

He might have the talent, but he won't ever have the numbers. He only caught around 30 passes (11 game season, so not even 3 receptions a game), has never reached 500 yards in a season, hell almost 20% of his season receiving yards came on that 86-yard TD to send the JMU game to overtime, just four touchdowns on the year with two of them in that same JMU game... I hope he becomes an All-American, but nothing he has shown previously says he should be, and he'll have a worse quarterback throwing to him this year.

Cocky
July 25th, 2015, 09:23 PM
Josh Barge

Might deserve a look? I dont believe he will be one of the top 5 or 6 in the national but his name does deserve to listed with some of the above.

Kemo
July 25th, 2015, 10:35 PM
Jake is a good player but he is sooooo slow. I bet he runs a 4.8 or 4.9 40.

Do you have an official 40 time for Wieneke?

I have no clue what his 40 time is, but he was doing well in track this spring. He actually posted the fastest 200 meter time (22.12) on the entire track team and was anchoring a 4x100 relay team (http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=210011296).

Go Green
July 26th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Dartmouth's Ryan McManus is coming back for a fifth year in 2015.

http://www.dartmouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=11600&ATCLID=205179073

caribbeanhen
July 26th, 2015, 08:02 AM
He might have the talent, but he won't ever have the numbers. He only caught around 30 passes (11 game season, so not even 3 receptions a game), has never reached 500 yards in a season, hell almost 20% of his season receiving yards came on that 86-yard TD to send the JMU game to overtime, just four touchdowns on the year with two of them in that same JMU game... I hope he becomes an All-American, but nothing he has shown previously says he should be, and he'll have a worse quarterback throwing to him this year.

Our QB last year was locked in on Mike Johnson Detracting from Harrisons stats. not really trying to make the all american case for him though

smallcollegefbfan
July 26th, 2015, 08:18 AM
Do you have an official 40 time for Wieneke?

I have no clue what his 40 time is, but he was doing well in track this spring. He actually posted the fastest 200 meter time (22.12) on the entire track team and was anchoring a 4x100 relay team (http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15000&ATCLID=210011296).

I was watching the NDSU game. Is there any chance he was injured against them? He looked like a 4.8 or 4.9 guy just off the tape. Maybe he runs a little faster but he was certainly not very shifty or quick and didn't look explosive coming out of his breaks.

smallcollegefbfan
July 26th, 2015, 08:21 AM
Our QB last year was locked in on Mike Johnson Detracting from Harrisons stats. not really trying to make the all american case for him though

I don't think he is an All-American at this point but he is certainly talented.

smallcollegefbfan
July 26th, 2015, 08:23 AM

He's better than some of the ones listed but I could see him only having 500 yards or so this year and he will certainly get looks for the next level. I think he is a 1st or 2nd team All-CAA type receiver and typically you list those guys as an All-American candidate.

caribbeanhen
July 26th, 2015, 08:38 AM
I don't think he is an All-American at this point but he is certainly talented.

oh there is no doubt about that... We dont know who his QB will be yet though

veinup
July 26th, 2015, 10:00 AM
i like the list.

hope those montana WRs can find a worthy quarterback.

Kemo
July 26th, 2015, 11:56 AM
I was watching the NDSU game. Is there any chance he was injured against them? He looked like a 4.8 or 4.9 guy just off the tape. Maybe he runs a little faster but he was certainly not very shifty or quick and didn't look explosive coming out of his breaks.

I know he got hurt in the regular season game against NDSU after his long TD reception and did not play in the 2nd half because of it. Not sure how much it affected him the rest of the season from there out, but he played in every game after that and played well.

I get where he doesn't look fast, because I've thought the same thing, but he manages to get behind the secondary a lot and DBs really don't seem to gain on him after the catch, either. He's a glider, not a burner, and these guys are the definition of deceptively fast.

superman7515
July 26th, 2015, 12:16 PM

Absolutely. I just have concerns that the QB situation will be taking a step even farther back this year from what I've seen. He has talent, I just don't think it will be showcased in a meaningful way unless there is a resurgence at the QB position that would be a very pleasant surprise to see.

blackbeard
July 27th, 2015, 03:44 PM
Don't know how you keep Tyler Dube from SHU off that list. Not a burner but is always open, great routes and better hands. Multiple game winning catches last two years and enough one handed catches to fill a highlight reel. 2014 Receiving Stats despite some injuries limiting him in a couple of games. Tack on another 250+ in all purpose yards to last year.

RECEIVING
GP
No.
Yards
Avg
TD
Long
Avg/G

Dube,Tyler

Missingnumber7
July 27th, 2015, 04:12 PM
Time will tell, but I don't see Vraa putting up the numbers to be considered as far as NDSU WRs go. I think RJ Urzendowski might have a higher ceiling than Vraa even.

If Vraa stays healthy, no reason to say he wouldn't, these two would demand coverage that many teams don't have the capability to handle. I watched the secondary struggle with these 2 in spring practices and we have 2 quality DB's.

BisonFan02
July 27th, 2015, 08:57 PM
If Vraa stays healthy, no reason to say he wouldn't, these two would demand coverage that many teams don't have the capability to handle. I watched the secondary struggle with these 2 in spring practices and we have 2 quality DB's.

Didn't CJ miss all of the spring? Don't get me wrong, Vraa is a great player. However, the ball is going to be spread around to WRs/TEs/RBs etc., and the system just isn't a fit to have AA WR stats. Don't forget Hawkins and Co. too.

Grizalltheway
July 27th, 2015, 09:08 PM
i like the list.

hope those montana WRs can find a worthy quarterback.

Assuming Gus is the starter, I'm sure he'll have some hiccups, but I think he'll be solid in the long run. Should be funny watching two 6'6-6'7 giraffes sling it in the first game.

Missingnumber7
July 28th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Didn't CJ miss all of the spring? Don't get me wrong, Vraa is a great player. However, the ball is going to be spread around to WRs/TEs/RBs etc., and the system just isn't a fit to have AA WR stats. Don't forget Hawkins and Co. too.

The pieces of practices I was there for, I got to see both scrimmages and a couple practices too, Vraa was the target Wentz liked, stuff was drawn up for him.

bison137
July 28th, 2015, 04:49 PM

If you're going to make a case for Pelletier, there is certainly a case for Bucknell's Will Carter. Had 53 catches for 959 yards and 9 TD's in only 10 games as a soph. Made 1st team All-PL.

smallcollegefbfan
July 28th, 2015, 04:59 PM
If you're going to make a case for Pelletier, there is certainly a case for Bucknell's Will Carter. Had 53 catches for 959 yards and 9 TD's in only 10 games as a soph. Made 1st team All-PL.

Here is the issue right now for the Patriot League. The seniors in the league are not scholarship players. The classes with players brought in on scholarships are the younger players. I think the league is a year away from being at a point where the talent is very deep and more than 1-2 players are worthy of All-America consideration. In two years from now I expect the league to be much better and actually have a team who could make it past the quarterfinals. These guys are young and really a year away or so from being considered All-Americans but they certainly have the potential to be down the line. I just think we are a little bit early to the party on that hype. Like I said, it's coming though. The Patriot League lacks a great team and a great senior player this year but in two years there should be a top 10 team and several All-Americans.

gobears14
July 28th, 2015, 06:57 PM
I would put Desmond Smith on there for us before I would Whitehead, but we'll spread the ball around a lot so who knows. Really like our WR group this year even after losing Lewis.

smallcollegefbfan
July 28th, 2015, 08:24 PM
I would put Desmond Smith on there for us before I would Whitehead, but we'll spread the ball around a lot so who knows. Really like our WR group this year even after losing Lewis.

We debated that. I think you could put both. I went with Whitehead because he is a senior and is projected to have a big year. He is also going to get a NFL look. He has good tools.

knucklehead
July 28th, 2015, 08:58 PM
Excited to see Darren Peterson dominate defenders again this year. He's a beast. It'll be interesting to see how the ball gets spread around though as LU could have several good up and comers this year.

mmiller_34
August 1st, 2015, 09:40 AM
Jake is a good player but he is sooooo slow. I bet he runs a 4.8 or 4.9 40

It was mentioned before that Wieneke had done exceptionally well in track this past season. He isn't as slow as he appears. Even if he wasn't a track star and he was as slow as your saying I don't think it even matters and someone put up these types of numbers:

73 catches, 1400 yards, and 16 TDS.

And more than half the season he was being thrown the ball by a brand new QB who hadn't been in SDSU's system very long.

superman7515
August 14th, 2015, 07:28 PM

He might have the talent, but he won't ever have the numbers.

Don't ever doubt me boy! Haha

caribbeanhen
August 14th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Don't ever doubt me boy! Haha

not so fast, rumor control has him sighted in Dover....

Nickels
August 15th, 2015, 09:06 AM
I'm surprised (but happy) to see Ladarius Brown on the list as the passing offense didn't pick up until later on in the year.

I think it will be a big year for him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJP0seKFAKs