PDA

View Full Version : AGS All American - FULLBACKS

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2015, 02:33 PM
This is the list UNLESS you as a member can convince me (us) that your guy should be included.

This is not done by "I can't believe you have x on but not my guy!". If you have someone...argue for them. Don't just use a few stats either, start there but also add some add some details like if the guy up against better competition and had a great game point out some highlights or his efforts from a game like that.

I'm not exactly sure when we will vote on this but I can assure you time is limited on this so don't loaf around and then bitch later about it...get on it.

The List:

FULLBACKS
Seth Fisher, Richmond, Sr.
Andrew Bonnet, North Dakota State, Sr.
Nick Butier, Northern Arizona, Sr.
Gary Underwood, Villanova, Sr.
Bryce Holm, Illinois State, Soph.
Quinn Zamora, Northern Colorado, Jr.
Hans Carmien, Southern Illinois, Soph.
Dalton Dillon, Campbell, Sr.
Chad Newell, Montana State, Jr.

lionsrking2
July 25th, 2015, 02:42 PM
I would like to make a case for Juwaan Rogers, Southeastern Louisiana ... he's 5-11, 250, stronger than most O-linemen and you're not going to find a better run blocker and pass protector at the fullback position.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2015, 02:46 PM
I would like to make a case for Juwaan Rogers, Southeastern Louisiana ... he's 5-11, 250, stronger than most O-linemen and you're not going to find a better run blocker and pass protector at the fullback position.

Bring the case! That's not enough. Show some stats and post a highlight clip if you can? Looking for the fans to do a little legwork and bring the data here to get him on the list. I'd love to see it rking.

lionsrking2
July 25th, 2015, 02:49 PM
Bring the case! That's not enough. Show some stats and post a highlight clip if you can? Looking for the fans to do a little legwork and bring the data here to get him on the list. I'd love to see it rking.

What stats? He's a fullback ... we don't throw the ball or run the fullback position ... he does what true fullbacks do and that's put people on their ass. I'll put together some clips of him ear-holing some folks.

FUBeAR
July 25th, 2015, 02:55 PM
What stats? He's a fullback ... we don't throw the ball or run the fullback position ... he does what true fullbacks do and that's put people on their ass. I'll put together some clips of him ear-holing some folks.

Can't wait to see those clips!!!

BTW - what's a Fullback? 😉

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2015, 03:07 PM

Sorry I wasn't clear, some evidence work better for you? Use that terminology instead...I was really trying more to get the lists up than debate vernacular but you got me on that one.

lionsrking2
July 25th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear, some evidence work better for you? Use that terminology instead...I was really trying more to get the lists up than debate vernacular but you got me on that one.

I know what you meant, I was half-joking. It's hard to make a case for a position that requires a lot of film study and judgment ... stats don't tell the whole story but it's a lot easier to sell a QB, RB, or WR if they have great numbers.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I know what you meant, I was half-joking. It's hard to make a case for a position that requires a lot of film study and judgment ... stats don't tell the whole story but it's a lot easier to sell a QB, RB, or WR if they have great numbers.

FB is one of the few positions where that is true. I don't think he was a returning All-SLC FB so we had left him off. If he is blocking for an All-SLC RB and the ground game is very good then he is definitely a player to watch. I have not watched him in depth, yet. I'll turn on some film and peak at him. I love blocking FBs.

lionsrking2
July 25th, 2015, 08:04 PM
FB is one of the few positions where that is true. I don't think he was a returning All-SLC FB so we had left him off. If he is blocking for an All-SLC RB and the ground game is very good then he is definitely a player to watch. I have not watched him in depth, yet. I'll turn on some film and peak at him. I love blocking FBs.

Juwaan is the real deal. Our running game has a lot of parts to it, and not just tailback dominant, but we were in the top 15 nationally at over 230 yards per game and he was a big reason why. Dial up Ron Roberts and ask him. He's from the same hometown and high school as former NFL FB, Alan Ricard (Ravens) ... Juwaan is bigger, stronger and faster.

UNH72Plus
July 26th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Can't wait to see those clips!!!

BTW - what's a Fullback? 

I was thinking the same thing!

slostang
July 26th, 2015, 09:36 PM
Look for Cal Poly's Sophomore FB Joe Protheroe (6'0" 230) to have a big year.

smallcollegefbfan
July 26th, 2015, 09:39 PM
Look for Cal Poly's Sophomore FB Joe Protheroe (6'0" 230) to have a big year.

In a preseason list like this it is hard to include players like that as candidates. For example, I have a CB from YSU rated in the top 20 in FCS but he did not play last year at YSU so I would not put him on a list like this but could see him on the postseason ballot. These are good to see though. I mark the names you guys say and keep an eye on them. I have found out some posters have a pretty solid eye for talent on here from that. If you have another potential All-American breakout player then let me know for sure!

slostang
July 27th, 2015, 12:26 AM
In a preseason list like this it is hard to include players like that as candidates. For example, I have a CB from YSU rated in the top 20 in FCS but he did not play last year at YSU so I would not put him on a list like this but could see him on the postseason ballot. These are good to see though. I mark the names you guys say and keep an eye on them. I have found out some posters have a pretty solid eye for talent on here from that. If you have another potential All-American breakout player then let me know for sure!
One of the Poly coaches told me last year that Protheroe has a chance to be one of the best backs Cal Poly has had and Cal Poly has some great backs. He has great balance a vision and can hit like a Mac truck. He also has the speed to take it to the house on any carry.

High School -- Protheroe was the third-leading rusher in California in 2012 season, gaining a school-record 3,014 yards on 234 carries and scoring 34 touchdowns under head coach Tim Murphy at Clayton Valley Charter High School in Concord ... averaging 215.3 yards per game and 12.9 yards per carry, he also caught one pass for a touchdown and returned a kickoff 94 yards against Rancho Cotate for another score, scoring 222 total points in his senior season ... a team captain, Protheroe surpassed the 100-yard mark in all 14 games of his senior season, leading the Eagles to a 12-2 overall mark, a Diablo Valley Athletic League title, the CIF-North Coast Section Division 2 championship -- their first section title in five tries -- and a berth in the semifinals of the California state Division II playoffs, where the Eagles fell 27-24 to Oakdale ... cracked the 200-yard mark seven times, including 427 yards on 25 carries and five touchdowns against Dublin and 306 yards on 17 trips and three scores versus Vintage ... caught nine passes for 154 yards and, as a defensive back, made 63 tackles (45 solo), intercepted four passes and broke up three others ... postseason honors include Offensive Player of the Year by the Bay Area News Group, MaxPreps All-NorCal, San Francisco Chronicle All-Metro First Team, Contra Costa Times All-East Bay Team, CIF-North Coast Section Player of the Year and Diablo Valley Athletic League MVP ... as a junior in 2011, rushed for 1,062 yards on 202 carries and scored 14 touchdowns with four 100-yard-plus games, caught 19 passes for 206 yards and two scores and notched 76 tackles and three interceptions en route to first-team All-Diablo Valley Athletic League honors as a running back and safety ... was an All-DVAL first-team running back and second-team safety as a sophomore, rushing for 510 yards and six touchdowns, catching eight passes for 102 yards and one score and garnering 29 yards and one interception on defense ... in addition to Cal Poly, Protheroe also received an offer from Sacramento State and was recruited as a walk-on by San Jose State, Fresno State, Montana State and Oregon ... chose Cal Poly because of “the coaching staff, the team, the education and the atmosphere.”

Captain Ed
July 29th, 2015, 10:34 PM
Great list. A critical question needs to be asked, what type of fullback are you talking about: A. are you talking about a big fast and powerful runner, or B. an excellent blocker who is a reliable receiver, powerful downhill runner, and plays special teams. My reply will assume that you are talking about the latter. I have two reasons for this assumption. First is because 6 of the 9 fullbacks are blockers first, and second because the three runners in the group would NEVER make it on Sundays, whereas the other 6 will all probably get a shot. My analysis is based on facts and my opinion based on facts. Here is my analysis.
1. Butier - Northern Arizona. Good size. He is a very good blocker and receiver. Plays on special teams. Tough conference and received honors as a sophomore and junior.
2. Bonnet - North Dakota State. Great size. Average blocker because he will often turn his shoulders at the point of attack. He is a good receiver, runner and plays on special team. Tough conference and received honors as a sophomore and junior.
3. Zamora. Northern Colorado. Good size. Good blocker and receiver. Plays on special teams. Tough conference and received honors as a freshman and sophomore.
4. Holm - Illinois State. Average size. Good blocker and receiver. Tough conference and received honors as a freshman.
5. Carmien - So. Illinois. Average size. Average blocker and good receiver. Tough Conference and received honors as a freshman.
6. Dillon - Campbell. Average size. Good blocker and runner. Very weak conference and received honors as a sophomore and junior.
Butier and Bonnet are basically a toss-up. Ironically, I give Zamora high marks for standing out while playing on a losing program. Look out for the super sophomore Holm. And even though Newell is basically a runner, look for him to also develop his blocking skills.
Again this is based on a Fullback who primary responsibility is to block. Fisher, Underwood and Newell aren't blockers.

smallcollegefbfan
July 29th, 2015, 10:38 PM
Great list. A critical question needs to be asked, what type of fullback are you talking about: A. are you talking about a big fast and powerful runner, or B. an excellent blocker who is a reliable receiver, powerful downhill runner, and plays special teams. My reply will assume that you are talking about the latter. I have two reasons for this assumption. First is because 6 of the 9 fullbacks are blockers first, and second because the three runners in the group would NEVER make it on Sundays, whereas the other 6 will all probably get a shot. My analysis is based on facts and my opinion based on facts. Here is my analysis.
1. Butier - Northern Arizona. Good size. He is a very good blocker and receiver. Plays on special teams. Tough conference and received honors as a sophomore and junior.
2. Bonnet - North Dakota State. Great size. Average blocker because he will often turn his shoulders at the point of attack. He is a good receiver, runner and plays on special team. Tough conference and received honors as a sophomore and junior.
3. Zamora. Northern Colorado. Good size. Good blocker and receiver. Plays on special teams. Tough conference and received honors as a freshman and sophomore.
4. Holm - Illinois State. Average size. Good blocker and receiver. Tough conference and received honors as a freshman.
5. Carmien - So. Illinois. Average size. Average blocker and good receiver. Tough Conference and received honors as a freshman.
6. Dillon - Campbell. Average size. Good blocker and runner. Very weak conference and received honors as a sophomore and junior.
Butier and Bonnet are basically a toss-up. Ironically, I give Zamora high marks for standing out while playing on a losing program. Look out for the super sophomore Holm. And even though Newell is basically a runner, look for him to also develop his blocking skills.
Again this is based on a Fullback who primary responsibility is to block. Fisher, Underwood and Newell aren't blockers.

Anyone who is good at any of them. I think you have to just rank based on how good they are overally.

MR. CHICKEN
July 30th, 2015, 08:09 AM
Great list. A critical question needs to be asked, what type of fullback are you talking about:are you talking about a big fast and powerful runner, or B. an excellent blocker who is a reliable receiver, powerful downhill runner, and plays special teams. My reply will assume that you are talking about the latter. I have two reasons for this assumption. First is because 6 of the 9 fullbacks are blockers first, and second because the three runners in the group would NEVER make it on Sundays, whereas the other 6 will all probably get a shot. My analysis is based on facts and my opinion based on facts. Here is my analysis.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=21033&stc=1......PROTHEROE...HAS TA BE...UH RUNNERAH TYPE......FULLBACK IN TRIPLE-O.....EITHER CARRIES DUH ROCK....O'...PRETENDS TA HAVE DUH PIGGY..........AWK!

ps......ADRIAN PETERSON MADE IT........BRAWK!

BisonBacker
July 30th, 2015, 08:13 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocQ91cUbGnE

BisonBacker
July 30th, 2015, 08:20 AM
Good video and review on Bonnet

http://www.inforum.com/sports/3801386-15-watch-2015-andrew-bonnet

APaladindad
August 5th, 2015, 09:50 PM
If I could vote I would vote for Seth Fisher however if I could vote for two I would also vote for Andrew Bonnet. Both are very good players.

paward
August 5th, 2015, 10:30 PM
I rarely go homer. I think I jinx my team when I do. I would have to vote for Fisher. He is poster player for that position.

NoDak 4 Ever
August 5th, 2015, 10:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocQ91cUbGnE

I like it way better when he lets guys try but they break themselves on him.