PDA

View Full Version : Any interest in doing an AGS Preseason All-America Team?

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2015, 07:33 PM
Wondering if AGSers on here would be interested in voting in one? We could go by the same criteria to vote in the top 25. I would be glad to put together a ballot and handle it if you guys wanted to.

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2015, 07:57 PM
I would have zero problem with that

BisonFan02
July 24th, 2015, 07:57 PM
I'm down.

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2015, 08:08 PM
I would have zero problem with that

And I would say a postseason team, too. Would be interested to see how well our community evaluates players individually since we seem to do pretty well with the whole teams!

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2015, 10:26 PM
This is gonna be done with a smaller group like those with poll perfection status or so.

Catsfan90
July 24th, 2015, 11:05 PM
I'd be way into it!

dewey
July 24th, 2015, 11:10 PM
I am in!

Dewey

dgtw
July 24th, 2015, 11:24 PM
Wouldn't it just be Chattanooga's entire roster?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2015, 11:37 PM
Wouldn't it just be Chattanooga's entire roster?

Still have 2nd & 3rd to figure out.

FUBeAR
July 25th, 2015, 12:39 AM
Wondering if AGSers on here would be interested in voting in one? We could go by the same criteria to vote in the top 25. I would be glad to put together a ballot and handle it if you guys wanted to.

I would be interested IF we can ONLY fill ALL of the OL positions with Long Snappers. It's all the rage, I hear.

Just kidding...

Anyway...Such an All AGS Team would be interesting. Would it be possible to only allow Posters to vote who have, prior to this date, 'declared' 'their team' and not allow them to vote for any nominations from that team? Might go a long way to taking some of the 'bias due to team mass' that you might see in the selections otherwise. My sense is that factor would have to be removed to provide legitimacy to the selections. I think there would, most likely, still see 'bias due to regional mass,' but that would be very hard to remove and would tend toward defeating the purpose of accessing the knowledge of those who have seen the players in their region play the most. Maybe one of both of these (potential) biases are already contemplated and addressed in the criteria for AGS Top 25 voting. I don't know. Just an idea.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 25th, 2015, 07:04 AM
This would be fun!!

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2015, 09:54 AM
I would be interested IF we can ONLY fill ALL of the OL positions with Long Snappers. It's all the rage, I hear.

Just kidding...

Anyway...Such an All AGS Team would be interesting. Would it be possible to only allow Posters to vote who have, prior to this date, 'declared' 'their team' and not allow them to vote for any nominations from that team? Might go a long way to taking some of the 'bias due to team mass' that you might see in the selections otherwise. My sense is that factor would have to be removed to provide legitimacy to the selections. I think there would, most likely, still see 'bias due to regional mass,' but that would be very hard to remove and would tend toward defeating the purpose of accessing the knowledge of those who have seen the players in their region play the most. Maybe one of both of these (potential) biases are already contemplated and addressed in the criteria for AGS Top 25 voting. I don't know. Just an idea.

Obviously you can't vote for your own team. That's how the coaches do it. That's why you never see a team being picked unanimously to win a league because the coach of the first place team had to vote for someone else. That would take the bias out of it.

BisonFan02
July 25th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Obviously you can't vote for your own team. That's how the coaches do it. That's why you never see a team being picked unanimously to win a league because the coach of the first place team had to vote for someone else. That would take the bias out of it.

I'm not so sure we need to go that far. There are plenty of posters here that can keep bias out of their polls. I think a good mix of posters (and a limited # of them per conference) would accomplish the same thing.

Example:

3-5 posters per conference and only 1, maybe 2, fans per team in each conference (understanding poster availability may be limited in some cases). The MVFC could be consisted of 1 each of NDSU, UNI, ISUr, SDSU, and YSR perhaps...

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2015, 11:09 AM
I'm not so sure we need to go that far. There are plenty of posters here that can keep bias out of their polls. I think a good mix of posters (and a limited # of them per conference) would accomplish the same thing.

Example:

3-5 posters per conference and only 1, maybe 2, fans per team in each conference (understanding poster availability may be limited in some cases). The MVFC could be consisted of 1 each of NDSU, UNI, ISUr, SDSU, and YSR perhaps...

I think they want to pick posters who have been voting the longest. We may have 3 or 4 NDSU fans. It's very easy to just say no voting for the team you pull for. That way we guarantee not to see any true homer votes.

superman7515
July 25th, 2015, 11:26 AM
I promise not to vote for anyone from VMI as long as you make sure Clenz doesn't vote for anyone from Prairie View.

lionsrking2
July 25th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Offensive skill players and defensive stat stuffers should be relatively easy to sort through but picking offensive linemen, for example, would be a crapshoot for most voters. Unless you've got access to video and/or coaches grades, it's tough to separate them.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2015, 12:12 PM
Offensive skill players and defensive stat stuffers should be relatively easy to sort through but picking offensive linemen, for example, would be a crapshoot for most voters. Unless you've got access to video and/or coaches grades, it's tough to separate them.

It's not all about stats. That's the misconception people have. There are reasons why a player can have much better stats. SLU substitutes a lot and you had Miller injured. Did that mean Miller was not one of the better corners in FCS? No it does not. Just because a player is the leading tackler in the nation does not mean he should be a first-teamer. Maybe he is on a really bad team and he is the only solid player on that team.

You bring up a good point about seeing players but is it not the same as watching the teams? I would hope voters are actually seeing the teams play before voting. All voters need to see as many players as possible to do an accurate vote.

FUBeAR
July 25th, 2015, 12:35 PM

Maybe just go by height then xsmiley_wix

clenz
July 25th, 2015, 12:47 PM
I promise not to vote for anyone from VMI as long as you make sure Clenz doesn't vote for anyone from Prairie View.
I'm a MVSU Delta Devil.

F those Panthers

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

grizband
July 25th, 2015, 12:57 PM
I'd be interested

BisonFan02
July 25th, 2015, 12:59 PM
I think they want to pick posters who have been voting the longest. We may have 3 or 4 NDSU fans. It's very easy to just say no voting for the team you pull for. That way we guarantee not to see any true homer votes.

How many posters/voters are you going to have? If there is a large mix of NDSU fans (and there would likely be based on board participation), it would actually hurt the deserving NDSU players since they are essentially black balled off of a good chunk of the voting base.

lionsrking2
July 25th, 2015, 01:10 PM
It's not all about stats. That's the misconception people have. There are reasons why a player can have much better stats. SLU substitutes a lot and you had Miller injured. Did that mean Miller was not one of the better corners in FCS? No it does not. Just because a player is the leading tackler in the nation does not mean he should be a first-teamer. Maybe he is on a really bad team and he is the only solid player on that team.

You bring up a good point about seeing players but is it not the same as watching the teams? I would hope voters are actually seeing the teams play before voting. All voters need to see as many players as possible to do an accurate vote.

I agree. I happen to think we have one of the best fullbacks in the country in Juwaan Rogers, but he'll never get recognition because we rarely hand him the ball or throw it to him. But he's as good a run blocker and pass protector as you're going to find at the fullback position. You have to watch video to see it.

Gangtackle11
July 25th, 2015, 01:13 PM
Robertson & Cherry.... Let me know when you pick the rest.....ha

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2015, 01:34 PM

I take the temperature of the homer vote on polls around here from time to time and I even publish what I find and every time I've done so it is people from other conferences elevating teams rather than their own conference mates doing it. For instance CAA voters normally have CAA teams a bit lower...it's always very close to what all others have but still not homer votes.

I've always been pretty impressed with the integrity of the people that vote in the AGS Poll.

Not saying it couldn't be asked.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2015, 01:36 PM
How many posters/voters are you going to have? If there is a large mix of NDSU fans (and there would likely be based on board participation), it would actually hurt the deserving NDSU players since they are essentially black balled off of a good chunk of the voting base.

Yes, if we were going to do it the way SCFF is suggesting there would need to be an equal amount from each school/conference and only then could that work correctly so might not be the way to go.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2015, 02:07 PM
Robertson & Cherry.... Let me know when you pick the rest.....ha

I know you are joking as a homer but if those are the only two on your team you are pushing for a 1st or 2nd team then you are being a very objective voter and that's what we want. If anyone is pushing 5 or 6 players on their team for a list like this then that team better be a top 5-8 program. There aren't many teams who can objectively say they have 5-6 legit 1st or 2nd team All-Americans. I think we have done a good job voting on the top 25 and I expect AGS voters to continue that and even be tighter when it comes to picking All-America so we can have strong credibility.

For example, NDSU and Illinois State are the returning finalists and I would say that ISU has maybe 5-6 worthy to consider and NDSU has about 3-4. NDSU lost more stars than ISU did. Still, very few teams should have quite that many.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2015, 02:10 PM
I sent Ursus a list, by position of players who I believe to be All-America nomination worthy. Hopefully nobody major is missing. I did go about 5-10 players deeper than I would suggest at several positions so I would be surprised if I am missing anyone who should clearly be listed. I'm hoping that if anything some of you are saying we could remove certain players. I tried to be very thorough and make sure nobody who would be a major snub is missing.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I sent Ursus a list, by position of players who I believe to be All-America nomination worthy. Hopefully nobody major is missing. I did go about 5-10 players deeper than I would suggest at several positions so I would be surprised if I am missing anyone who should clearly be listed. I'm hoping that if anything some of you are saying we could remove certain players. I tried to be very thorough and make sure nobody who would be a major snub is missing.

You have the lists at a fairly consistent 20 it appears and I'd like to keep it at a consistent number for structure of the ballots/sheets etc. At least that is how it appeard at first glance.

PantherRob82
July 25th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Sounds like fun.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2015, 02:57 PM
The offense went up today, the defense will go up tomorrow, and the ST and so forth following later on Monday.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2015, 03:24 PM
You have the lists at a fairly consistent 20 it appears and I'd like to keep it at a consistent number for structure of the ballots/sheets etc. At least that is how it appeard at first glance.

Definitely want to keep it close. Obviously WR, LB, and a couple others will have more than positions like FB, QB, etc but definitely want to be within a range.

gotts
July 26th, 2015, 11:42 PM
Thanks for taking this on, I enjoy following this.

caribbeanhen
July 26th, 2015, 11:58 PM
I'm down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7dHoEmUtIs