PDA

View Full Version : Consistently awful?

catbob
June 29th, 2005, 08:54 PM
What is your team consitently bad at?

MSU is definately our kicking game. Last year was an improvement, but I remember a few years ago praying that the ball would stay inbounds on kickoffs. I held my breath on extra points for crying out loud.

Ronbo
June 29th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Our pass defense never seems to be very good. :mad: Could be because we are in the pass happy Big Sky. We're hoping for improvement this season. We'll see, the boys were playing pretty good the last 5 games last season. :cool:

charliej
June 29th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Long snaps

blukeys
June 29th, 2005, 09:25 PM
For 50 years the way to beat Delaware was through the air. Trying to run the ball against UD has generally been ineffective but we have given up career passing days to anyone who does not need rotator cuff surgery. That well known passing team Colgate had a QB that had a career day against us (I think his name was Calabria) Wayne Chrebet had a day against us that convinced the Jets that he could play in the NFL. (the Jets never noticed that catching 5 TD passes against the Hens was an average day for most receivers). When I saw in '03 that Wofford was going to try and run on us I laughed and knew that the end result was never in doubt. Our D'backs are great at trying for an intercept or knockdown of a ball that is perfectly thrown. They will stick it to a back on a sweep and then miss a tackle on a receiver who runs a down and out and then give up 35 yards. Year in Year out Delaware's weakest link is pass defense. :bang: ;) :cool: :D

Cocky
June 29th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Game plan in the playoffs.

Every year we try to become a passing team in the playoffs.

TxState_GO_CATS!
June 29th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Road games.

Tribe4SF
June 29th, 2005, 10:11 PM
For the Tribe, it's just defense. Especially run defense.

Husky Alum
June 29th, 2005, 10:47 PM
Winning at UMass and William & Mary... I don't think we've won at UMass since Lyndon (or maybe it was Andrew) Johnson was President.

Last year.... defending the 7 yard slant across the middle.

Historically defending the option to the short side of the field. Under Don Brown, teams who NEVER ran the option would run the option to the short side of the field against us in short yardage situations and had tremendous success. We always struggled with URI in recent years because Brown's teams weren't good at playing disciplined contain/responsibility football against option teams.

ngineer
June 29th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Last year we were consistently bad in the kicking game--placekicking and kickoffs. On KO's they kept trying to get the kicker(s) to place it on one side or the other. I don't know how many times the ko went out of bounds :mad:
Placekicking was a 'hold your breath' regardless of the distance. This year, the PK looked much more relaxed and made all four kicks in the spring game. Only time will tell.

Mr. C
June 29th, 2005, 11:34 PM
When I saw in '03 that Wofford was going to try and run on us I laughed and knew that the end result was never in doubt. Our D'backs are great at trying for an intercept or knockdown of a ball that is perfectly thrown. They will stick it to a back on a sweep and then miss a tackle on a receiver who runs a down and out and then give up 35 yards. Year in Year out Delaware's weakest link is pass defense. :bang: ;) :cool: :D
You obviously haven't seen Wofford try to pass. Even the Chickens' DBs couldn't have helped those scatter-armed folks.

blukeys
June 29th, 2005, 11:50 PM
You obviously haven't seen Wofford try to pass. Even the Chickens' DBs couldn't have helped those scatter-armed folks.
No Mr. C I did see them try that is why I laughed and knew the outcome wasn't in doubt although the Wofford defense was scrappy. I also felt no one gave enough credit to the Wofford punter for the team's success. That guy gave the team 10 yards on every exchange.

FL connection
June 30th, 2005, 06:45 AM
Punting is always an adventure........We had at least three blocked punts that turned momentum in crucial games we could/should have won. I think it's the most important aspect in football.........connection out!!

colgate13
June 30th, 2005, 08:24 AM
Opening games.

BBB
June 30th, 2005, 08:37 AM
Opening games.

Recently it's been our ability to throw the football.

When I first got there it was our knack for turnovers early in the game. Actually we always put ourselves in the hole with TOs.

Ivytalk
June 30th, 2005, 08:52 AM
For Harvard, over the years, I'd have to say pass defense first. Erratic kicking game second. Stupid penalties third.

NoCoDanny
June 30th, 2005, 08:58 AM
Throwing 99 yard interceptions for touchdowns in the fourth quarter of close games.

eaglefan452
June 30th, 2005, 10:30 AM
I don't know if I would say that GSU is consistently awful at this, but beating I-A's isn't exactly GSU's strong point. Except for a win over transitional I-A FIU last season, GSU has never defeated a I-A opponent. When you consider the teams GSU has played, UGA, FSU, Miami, Auburn etc, that can be somewhat understandable.

GrizFoo
June 30th, 2005, 10:52 AM
Our pass defense never seems to be very good. :mad: Could be because we are in the pass happy Big Sky. We're hoping for improvement this season. We'll see, the boys were playing pretty good the last 5 games last season. :cool:

The last few years, true. But when Trey Young, Vince Hutsburger, Calvin Coleman, were all in the same secondary, a different story.

Have seen very few shuffle passes work for the Griz.
Funny thing, the last staff over used your standard RB screen, but it was still effective at times, this staff doesn't have it in the playbook, but instead has the shuffle, which just doesn't seem to work for us at all.

McNeese75
June 30th, 2005, 11:00 AM
After last year, I would not even know where to begin

WCU LawCat
June 30th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Our teams biggest weakness...two words, Georgia Southern!....oh and Furman.

But seriously, place kicking has been our weakest spot by far. WCU has been about 50% ON EXTRA POINTS...not field goals but extra points.

SoCon48
June 30th, 2005, 12:21 PM
...and App State about 10 out of every 11 years.

buckp
June 30th, 2005, 12:31 PM
After last year, I would not even know where to begin

How about play calling.......sounds like a good place to start for the Pokes. :nod:

saint0917
June 30th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Winning at UMass and William & Mary... I don't think we've won at UMass since Lyndon (or maybe it was Andrew) Johnson was President.

The last time you won at Umass was 1983, 31-14. Ronald Reagan was the Prez. :D

Go...gate
June 30th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Blukeys, John Marzo was the Colgate QB, throwing for 482 yards passing (all-time CU record) in the 1978 CU-UD game won by Delaware, 48-39.

McNeese75
June 30th, 2005, 02:53 PM
How about play calling.......sounds like a good place to start for the Pokes. :nod:

Damn good place to start Buck. Who knows, maybe we will see a little more of what showed up at SHSU last year instead of a zillion belly screen plays :bang: :D

arkstfan
June 30th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Penalties. 9th most penalized team in I-A last year. :eek:

It's been a problem for at least 8 years. 2003 stop Memphis on 3rd and loooong with a pick but the DT gave Wimprine a hello shove two steps after he released the ball. Memphis takes the new set of downs and gets to the locker room down 3 instead of down 10. :bang:

We've picked up a defensive holding, got flagged for protesting. Stuff the opponent on the next three plays and give up the winning FG because we moved them in range.

Had a celebration penalty that resulted in a long PAT attempt we missed and lost by one.

I could go on but no need to bore.

chattanoogamocs
June 30th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Defense. the last time the Mocs had a season average under 14 points a game was 1985.

Husky Alum
June 30th, 2005, 05:35 PM
According to the stack of NU media guides I have, the 1983 NU-UMass game was at Parsons (Which we won 31-14).

If you go to NU's website (www.gonu.com), you'll see the last NU win in Amherst was 1958.

kats89
June 30th, 2005, 05:51 PM
SHSU's consistent problem has been winning on the road against the Louisiana schools in our conference Don't know why, but it must be the gumbo or something they feed them before the game. Maybe that will change with new HC on board.

Also winning the big one on the road period. (Except for E. Washington last year)

ngineer
June 30th, 2005, 06:10 PM
For Harvard, over the years, I'd have to say pass defense first. Erratic kicking game second. Stupid penalties third.

Ironic isn't it. I feel the same way at times watching Lehigh. The most gallling are on third down, on defense, when the D holds, but the penalty gives the opposing O a first down. But then, again, we have to remind ourselves that they're kids and emotions get high and as smart as they are, everyone is capable of doing something stupid.

blukeys
June 30th, 2005, 09:57 PM
Blukeys, John Marzo was the Colgate QB, throwing for 482 yards passing (all-time CU record) in the 1978 CU-UD game won by Delaware, 48-39.
Thanks gate, no doubt Marzo is in the Colgate Hall of Fame based on that performance. :rolleyes: No knock on Marzo but the list of QB's who hold their school's passing record against UD would reach to the sun and back with a side trip to Pluto. I appreciate the correction and thank you for proving my basic premise that UD's pass defense is its Achilles Heel.

MR. CHICKEN
July 1st, 2005, 08:25 AM
WE ARE ALSO SUCKERS FO' TRICK PLAYS......SUCH AS REVERSES ON KICK-OFFS.....FAKE PUNTS........HOOK & LADDERS......END-AROUNDS.......SEEMS AS THOUGH...JES' WHEN WE STIFLE UH TEAM ON 1ST & 2ND......OUT COMES DUH GAGS.....DAT LET THEM OUT O' DUH HOLE...............BAWK!

PS......WE ALSO GET CAUGHT ON ON-SIDES KICKS...WHEN DEY APPEAR EARLY IN UH GAME......NOT WHEN DEY ARE TRYIN' TA CATCH UP LATE IN DUH GAME!

Saint3333
July 1st, 2005, 08:37 AM
For ASU it's the third quarter after Jerry Moore must give the most inspiring half-time speeches. :bang:

EagleCrusade
July 1st, 2005, 10:16 AM
The rain.

laparka316
July 1st, 2005, 10:21 AM
Beating Wisconsin Plateville...

Sad story, I know

Thumper250
July 1st, 2005, 01:10 PM
Having enough scholarship players

arkstfan
July 1st, 2005, 01:43 PM
For ASU it's the third quarter after Jerry Moore must give the most inspiring half-time speeches. :bang:

That's something I really try to keep up with. How does a team do the second half? Seems like there are always a handful of coaches that can get a good first half that fall apart in the second. That is a good indicator of a coaching staff deficiency in my book.

pete4256
July 1st, 2005, 05:20 PM
For Georgia Southern, I think it must be defending fake punts.

We allowed a successful 4th down conversion on fake punts in three straight championship games, 98-00. The last one, in 2000 against the Griz, went for a touchdown.

Unbelievable to me :bang: .

TxSt02
July 1st, 2005, 08:13 PM
Road games.

How about our DBs??? Teams throw on us to run the clock out because they cant run on us!

TxState_GO_CATS!
July 1st, 2005, 10:20 PM
How about our DBs??? Teams throw on us to run the clock out because they cant run on us!

LOL...true. :mad:

That will get better though.

bkrownd
July 2nd, 2005, 02:57 AM
1) Making up their mind whether they want to be in i-a or i-aa.
2) Student attendance.
3) Going 15-0