PDA

View Full Version : Total lack of respect for the Pards...perfect!

Pard94
November 24th, 2006, 08:44 AM
I took a little trip over to the UMass board and much to my surprise (NOT), the vast majority of the Umass fans give us absolutely no respect. Now I will be the first to admit a Lafayette win would be a huge upset. That being said, they are calling the PL a "patsy league". They basically have us marked down as a chance for the minutemen to get a good tune up, rest some of their dinged up starters and wait for the real playoffs to commence.

No doubt, the Leopards got off to a slow start. A word to the wise Minutemen...the 6-5 record is a little misleading. We lost a bunch to the Ivy but what we didn't realize at the time was we were playing the cream of the Ivy crop. And while it is easy to disreagard the Ivy League because they don't do the playoffs, there is no denying they have the cache to recruit some of the finest athletes in the country (who also happen to be some of the smartest). Also, take a look at the last 5 games...the team really came together and rolled up some impressive wins. As one who watched all of their games, the team that finished the season is vastly different than the one that started the season. What's more, this team doesn't rely on complex schemes and finese to win games. They play basic "smashmouth" football. They do so behind the blocking of a line that averages 6',4" and 295 lbs (3 All League lineman, including one All American). This line has a record of making all league defenders look very pedestrian. They have a very able, mobile QB who is coming off a near perfect game and a RB that has been averaging 100+ yards on a regular basis.

Lastly, I feel compelled to point out that Appalachian State (National Champs 2005) was guilty of the very same kind of pre-game arrogance. As was Delaware (National Champs 2004) prior to playing the Leopards 2 years ago. Both were shocked when Lafayette was either tied or leading in the fourth quarter. And despite the fact that we couldn't win those games, both came away with a greater respect for Lafayette and the PL.

Again, I concede that the Minutemen are odds on favorites to win handily. All I am saying is Lafayette has a way of bringing their best game to contests such as these. This is a team that is firing on all cylinders right now. Can Umass say the same? Don't be surprised if your players don't come out of this game as well rested as you seem to be anticipating. I can only hope your players are as relaxed and confident as many of you seem to be.

GO PARDS!

Umass74
November 24th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Ah, not quite. If you visit any home team board the fans are going to be gung-ho for their team. If UMass was 6-5 going into the playoffs, we would not be getting a lot of love from the opposing team.

Everybody knows how well the Leopards played in their last two playoff game. Several posters said we needed to concentrate on Lafayette.

The weather is supposed to be great this week in Amherst. Come up and cheer for your team. :nod:

Pard94
November 24th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Ah, not quite. If you visit any home team board the fans are going to be gung-ho for their team. If UMass was 6-5 going into the playoffs, we would not be getting a lot of love from the opposing team.

Everybody knows how well the Leopards played in their last two playoff game. Several posters said we needed to concentrate on Lafayette.

The weather is supposed to be great this week in Amherst. Come up and cheer for your team. :nod:

I didn't say everybody was overly cocky...I said the vast majority were. Ultimately, that is fine. We are used to it. I will be in attendance. I live in NH so it won't be a long trip for me. It will be even shorter when we role into Durham to beat the Wildcats.:smiley_wi

NYSigma
November 24th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I'm rooting for the Big "L". My good friend and co-worker is a grad and just stopped by my desk to drop off his bracket picks!! We hope to both enjoy a game next weekend either in Hampton or Easton!! He has you guys going all the way to TN. Of course I disagree with his second round pick!! Good luck and I'll be cheering you guys on!!!

DrG
November 24th, 2006, 09:21 AM
Pard94, I know it's in your best interests to create the illusion that UMass is looking past Saturday's game, but I just checked the two threads related to this game on the UMass board and counted no fewer than seven posts warning against complacency. In fact, there are about as many of those as posts predicting a big UMass win. The truth is Lafayette is getting plenty of respect from our fans, who remember us losing to Colgate in the first round three years ago. Also, Lehigh gave us all we could handle in the second round en route to our NC in '98, and Northeastern lost to Fordham in the first round a few years back when they were coached by Don Brown. No disrespect for the Patriot Leagu3e in these parts. I hope you're looking at the real UMass board - www.umasshoops.com - and not the Masslive board, which is a joke.

LehighFan11
November 24th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Pard 94, Only way Lafayette will be by winning. Umass fans may be saying blowout, but i garentee the Umass players arent thinking the same thing. Umass has gotten tested by PL teams before. Lafayette wont be flying under the radar and some how "catch Umass sleeping". Not happening.

Appstate29
November 24th, 2006, 09:47 AM
the way Lafayette played us last year at our place, if they beat ANYBODY I wouldn't be particularly surprised.

UMass922
November 24th, 2006, 10:35 AM
As long as the UMass players and coaching staff are not looking past or disrespecting Lafayette, that's all that matters. What a bunch of fans on a message board think is irrelevant--thank goodness they're not the ones devising the game plan!

Personally, I don't spend any time on the UMass board. I took a brief, curious look around it the other day and wasn't interested. I much prefer the company of other schools' fans here on AGS. Too much UMass is suffocating--or maybe just boring.

Tribe4SF
November 24th, 2006, 10:45 AM
Any way you cut it, Lafayette squeezed into the playoffs out of a league that was just awful this year. I had the Pards ranked at the beginning of the year, but was dismayed by their performance against Sacred Heart. Despite Lafayette's, and the PL's, history of playing tough postseason, I'm among those who do not expect this game to be close.

LacesOut
November 24th, 2006, 11:01 AM
6-5 in a crap ass conference with a five game losing streak during the season. And you make the playoffs. Of course you ain't gonna get much respect.

Franks Tanks
November 24th, 2006, 12:29 PM
6-5 in a crap ass conference with a five game losing streak during the season. And you make the playoffs. Of course you ain't gonna get much respect.

Ya that crap ass confereence that has been consistently getting 2 teams in the playoffs the last few years and had a team play for teh national title 3 years ago. Man we just cant compete with the big boys like East Southwestern Lousianana I guess.

LBPop
November 24th, 2006, 12:54 PM

I might take a little issue with the "crap ass" characterization, but I completely agree that Lafayette should not expect any respect from the typical fans. Having seen them play, I think Lafayette's strength is on the line of scrimmage. Against Georgetown their size alone allowed them to frequently dominate. If those big guys can also play, it gives them a chance against anyone. If not, it could get ugly.

Mr. C
November 24th, 2006, 12:55 PM
UMass fans didn't give much respect to an 11-0 Colgate team in 2003 either and we all remember what happened there. Mark Whipple spent an entire week complaining about having to travel to Colgate (sort sounded a lot like Mickey Matthews of JMU) and the Minutemen got stuffed.

Mr. C
November 24th, 2006, 12:58 PM
Frank Tavani and his fine staff will have the Leopards ready to play and they will be a dangerous opponent, who will give UMass everything it wants. Lafayette may not win, but don't expect this to be a blowout.

BTW, Tavani and Don Brown are old friends, who used to coach in summer camps together. Brown was very respectful of Tavani on the teleconference on Monday.

saint0917
November 24th, 2006, 01:17 PM
UMass fans didn't give much respect to an 11-0 Colgate team in 2003 either and we all remember what happened there. Mark Whipple spent an entire week complaining about having to travel to Colgate (sort sounded a lot like Mickey Matthews of JMU) and the Minutemen got stuffed.

And Whipple had every right to complain. Umass should of had a home game that year. Umass only lost to IA Power Kansas St., and lost in triple overtime at Delaware. And I'm NOT saying Colgate should have played on the road, both Colgate AND Umass should have held home games that year.
Wayne Hogan ( chairman of the selection committee), jerked Umass off, and gave his own team (Montana) a first round home game for not even winning the Big Sky that year, AND losing to a D2 school. :rolleyes:

Whipple, now the quarterbacks coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers, had solid ground to question the selections. His Minutemen lost at I-A power Kansas State and lost in triple overtime at eventual I-AA champion Delaware.

He compared that to Montana losing to a Division II team and not winning the Big Sky title, but still hosting a first-round game, then all but accused Montana athletic director Wayne Hogan, the chairman of the selection committee, of favoring his own school.

UMass a happy camp (http://www.masslive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1164237016138310.xml?sufo)

GaSouthern
November 24th, 2006, 01:17 PM
pasty league will get dropped hard first round!
YOU HEARD IT HERE!

Pard94
November 24th, 2006, 01:37 PM
pasty league will get dropped hard first round!
YOU HEARD IT HERE!

Do you mean "patsy" league? Because "pasty" league...well that just doesn't make any sense.. Could you please try to make some sense with your asinine predictions? Thanks.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Frank Tavani and his fine staff will have the Leopards ready to play and they will be a dangerous opponent, who will give UMass everything it wants. Lafayette may not win, but don't expect this to be a blowout.

BTW, Tavani and Don Brown are old friends, who used to coach in summer camps together. Brown was very respectful of Tavani on the teleconference on Monday.

Yeah, I read where Tavani & Brown are good friends going back when they did summer camps together.

UAalum72
November 24th, 2006, 02:09 PM
Do you mean "patsy" league? Because "pasty" league...well that just doesn't make any sense.. Could you please try to make some sense with your asinine predictions? Thanks.
He probably means you're so far north you can't keep your tan into November:D

Cleets
November 24th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Agreed,
Fans should not be expected to "respect" mediocrity...I mean after all harassing your opponent is half the fun of college football

the players on the other hand will playing like their lives depended on it, expect both teams to play hard:mad:

just my 2 cents

Cleets
November 24th, 2006, 02:42 PM
He compared that to Montana losing to a Division II team and not winning the Big Sky title, but still hosting a first-round game, then all but accused Montana athletic director Wayne Hogan, the chairman of the selection committee, of favoring his own school.

UMass a happy camp (http://www.masslive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1164237016138310.xml?sufo)

Don't confuse Montana with Montana State, two very different teams, to very different situations...

(either could beat Umass) but that's not my point...

Montana is 10-1 and lost to Iowa only :nod:

Maroon&White
November 24th, 2006, 03:19 PM
Don't confuse Montana with Montana State, two very different teams, to very different situations...

(either could beat Umass) but that's not my point...

Montana is 10-1 and lost to Iowa only :nod:

He was talking about 2003, not this year.

UMass922
November 24th, 2006, 03:55 PM
And Whipple had every right to complain. Umass should of had a home game that year. Umass only lost to IA Power Kansas St., and lost in triple overtime at Delaware. And I'm NOT saying Colgate should have played on the road, both Colgate AND Umass should have held home games that year.
Wayne Hogan ( chairman of the selection committee), jerked Umass off, and gave his own team (Montana) a first round home game for not even winning the Big Sky that year, AND losing to a D2 school. :rolleyes:

Whipple, now the quarterbacks coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers, had solid ground to question the selections. His Minutemen lost at I-A power Kansas State and lost in triple overtime at eventual I-AA champion Delaware.

And Whipple's complaining accomplished nothing. UMass lost the game. No excuses for that.

Let it go.

Maroon&White
November 24th, 2006, 04:48 PM
And Whipple's complaining accomplished nothing. UMass lost the game. No excuses for that.

Let it go.

Mr.C brought it up, not saint0917. There was really no reason to mention that, but Mr.C did it anyway.

GaSouthern
November 24th, 2006, 04:55 PM

xlolx :nod: :smiley_wi

Maroon&White
November 24th, 2006, 04:58 PM
I took a little trip over to the UMass board and much to my surprise (NOT), the vast majority of the Umass fans give us absolutely no respect.

I took a little trip over to the Lafayette board and there was pretty much no talk about the game. At least UMass fans care enough to talk about it.

Lastly, I feel compelled to point out that Appalachian State (National Champs 2005) was guilty of the very same kind of pre-game arrogance. As was Delaware (National Champs 2004) prior to playing the Leopards 2 years ago.

I'll take history repeating itself and Lafayette losing to the eventual champions ;) xlolx

As some Lafayette fans are confident they will give UMass a good game, some UMass fans are confident it will be a blowout. Who cares though, it's not the fans that decide who wins. No reason to get upset about a few fans thinking it will be a blowout (what board were you on anyways?). Every game is tough in the playoffs, there are no easy games. Good luck to the Leopards on Saturday!

UMass922
November 24th, 2006, 05:03 PM
Mr.C brought it up, not saint0917. There was really no reason to mention that, but Mr.C did it anyway.

Yes, Mr. C did bring it up. And saint0917 chose to respond.

Peems
November 24th, 2006, 05:04 PM

we actually shared the conference title, but didnt get the auto bid and we bid more.

Maroon&White
November 24th, 2006, 05:13 PM

Oh, how terrible of saint. :rolleyes:

umassfan
November 24th, 2006, 05:26 PM
It doesnt matter. There is no relation in this game and the game in 03. UMass is not traveling. The game is at home and UMass plays real well in Amherst. Weather will not be an issue, field will not be an issue, and Lafayette will not be an issue.

UMass922
November 24th, 2006, 05:59 PM
Oh, how terrible of saint. :rolleyes:

All I suggested was that saint0917 "let it go." You responded to my suggestion by saying "Mr. C brought it up," which is irrelevant.

Anyway, whatever. Go UMass.

UMass922
November 24th, 2006, 06:01 PM
Weather will not be an issue, field will not be an issue, and Lafayette will not be an issue.

Lafayette will not be an issue? Lafayette will be the only issue. I sure hope the UMass players and coaching staff are not treating Lafayette as a non-issue, because that's the team they're playing tomorrow. They should be studying them, preparing for them, and taking them seriously.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I don't think Dan Brown will be so careless. Wish I were in Amherst right now but couldn't make the trip unless by air.

umassfan
November 24th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Lafayette will not be an issue? Lafayette will be the only issue. I sure hope the UMass players and coaching staff are not treating Lafayette as a non-issue, because that's the team they're playing tomorrow. They should be studying them, preparing for them, and taking them seriously.
I mean Lafayette will not be able to stop us or score on us. That is why they will not be an issue.

BlueHen86
November 24th, 2006, 06:20 PM
I mean Lafayette will not be able to stop us or score on us. That is why they will not be an issue.
If the UMass team takes your approach additional playoff dates will not be an issue. Patriot league teams always come ready to play. If anyone should know that it's UMass.

Ozzie
November 24th, 2006, 06:32 PM
No chance UMass is looking past Lafayette this week.

As for 2003, Whipple was rightfully upset that UMass had to play at Colgate, but I don't think they underestimated that team. Say what you will but bad weather especially snow is the great equalizer. Colgate beat two very goods teams in sloppy weather on its way to Chattanooga.

saint0917
November 24th, 2006, 07:12 PM

If you bring something up a message board people are going to respond.

saint0917
November 24th, 2006, 07:14 PM
All I suggested was that saint0917 "let it go."

O.K. it gone. :D

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I don't think Dan Brown will be so careless. Wish I were in Amherst right now but couldn't make the trip unless by air.

Not going to the game Pards Rule?

Be sure to catch it on CN8. :(

Maverick
November 24th, 2006, 07:31 PM
With such a comment as you just made, the moniker of U assfan is really easy to understand. The one-man wrecking crew of arrogance and ignorance strikes again. It is a shame that your drivel has done more to make people dislike the program than anything else. With friends like you, UMass will never lack for enemies.

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

hawkineer
November 24th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Lastly, I feel compelled to point out that Appalachian State (National Champs 2005) was guilty of the very same kind of pre-game arrogance. As was Delaware (National Champs 2004) prior to playing the Leopards 2 years ago. Both were shocked when Lafayette was either tied or leading in the fourth quarter. And despite the fact that we couldn't win those games, both came away with a greater respect for Lafayette and the PL.
Slight correction - Delaware was the N.C. in 2003. JMU was the national champ in 2004 - beat Lehigh by one.

Pards Rule
November 24th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Not going to the game Pards Rule?

Be sure to catch it on CN8. :(

Yeah, I was going to fly and would have come back on Monday if need be, but I am flying to Detroit on Monday and then driving to Kalamazoo and then on to Chicago at the end of the week. So that killed that plan and I will be CNing it. Are you in Amherst now, John?

YaleFootballFan
November 24th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Go get 'em Lafayette!

Go Leopards! :D

Pard4Life
November 24th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I was going to fly and would have come back on Monday if need be, but I am flying to Detroit on Monday and then driving to Kalamazoo and then on to Chicago at the end of the week. So that killed that plan and I will be CNing it. Are you in Amherst now, John?

Nope, planning to drive up tomorrow morning. Should be a smooth drive hopefully.

Pard94
November 25th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Agreed,
Fans should not be expected to "respect" mediocrity...I mean after all harassing your opponent is half the fun of college football

the players on the other hand will playing like their lives depended on it, expect both teams to play hard:mad:

just my 2 cents

Cleets I agree with you that fan sentiment matters not in the slightest. That being said, we have faced this before and it can certainly extend to the players and coaches. That is my Thanksgiving Day prayer!

Pard94
November 25th, 2006, 05:52 AM

Thank you for proving my point. Please, Oh Lord, please let the Minutemen be as cocky as this guy. Please?

Pard94
November 25th, 2006, 05:54 AM
Slight correction - Delaware was the N.C. in 2003. JMU was the national champ in 2004 - beat Lehigh by one.

Thanks Hawk...it's all a blur to me now.:thumbsup:

Pards Rule
November 25th, 2006, 07:35 AM
Yeah...on the www.umasshoops.com football section, our good friend Tubby Raymond is predicting a 40 point blowout.

Mr. C
November 25th, 2006, 08:03 AM
The point (which seems to still be a sensitive one with some UMass fans three years later) is that Lafayette is being respected this year, just like Colgate wasn't respected in 2003. Yes there is a reason to mention such stuff when a school's fans have a track record for dissing opponents.

Maroon&White
November 25th, 2006, 08:49 AM
The point (which seems to still be a sensitive one with some UMass fans three years later) is that Lafayette is being respected this year, just like Colgate wasn't respected in 2003. Yes there is a reason to mention such stuff when a school's fans have a track record for dissing opponents.

Whipple complained about getting sent on the road, no matter where it was. It wasn't being disrespectful to Colgate, it was being disrespectful to the committee's decision to put a 10-2 UMass team on the road. Let's try not to make it something it wasn't.

saint0917
November 25th, 2006, 05:33 PM
The point (which seems to still be a sensitive one with some UMass fans three years later).

Well, stop bringing it up. THREE YEARS LATER. :rolleyes: ;)

Go...gate
November 25th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Whipple complained about getting sent on the road, no matter where it was. It wasn't being disrespectful to Colgate, it was being disrespectful to the committee's decision to put a 10-2 UMass team on the road. Let's try not to make it something it wasn't.

Wrong. He was quoted as saying that we had never won a play-off game (we had) and that no school with Colgate's facilities should ever host a playoff game. (POSTERS: PLEASE DISREGARD THIS SENTENCE FOR THE REASONS SET FORTH TWO POSTS BELOW)

Whipple was a G-D azzhole and Umass is lucky he moved on. He did a disservice to his players and to UMass athletics, which are a pretty classy group in general.

Having said all this, I have a lot of respect for UMass FB and its yearly rivalry with Colgate. I hope UMass goes all the way.

Umass74
November 25th, 2006, 06:44 PM
Wrong. He was quoted as saying that we had never won a play-off game (we had) and that no school with Colgate's facilities should ever host a playoff game.

Hold on there. I follow the UMass program pretty damm close. Please show me the quote on that. :nonono2:

I never heard Whipple say that.

Go...gate
November 25th, 2006, 09:00 PM
Best of my recollection, I believe it was in the Colgate Maroon-News, Syracuse Post-Standard or Oneida Daily Dispatch the week of the 2003 first-round playoff game; admittedly, not top-level media. However, since I don't have a hard copy, in fairness to UMass (and since I try never to wing it on this board), please consider the first sentence of my previous post withdrawn for the time being while I check into this. Fair enough?

Umass74
November 25th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Best of my recollection, I believe it was in the Colgate Maroon-News, Syracuse Post-Standard or Oneida Daily Dispatch the week of the 2003 first-round playoff game; admittedly, not top-level media. However, since I don't have a hard copy, in fairness to UMass (and since I try never to wing it on this board), please consider my previous post withdrawn for the time being while I check into this. Fair enough?

Fair enough. I know my memory is not want it used to be, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. :rotateh:

saint0917
November 26th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Like 74, I've been following Umass football for a long time. When I was a kid my dad always took us to at least 2-3 games a year for a long as I can remember, and for the past 13-14 years I've worked at the Umass games, (see the cute picture of me on Umass74 blog) ;). Like 74 I really don't remember Whip saying anything bad about Colgate, I just know he was mad that Umass didn't get a home game. See what you started Mr. C :nonono2: :mad:

Quote From Whipple:

"It had nothing to do with Colgate. I felt that Colgate deserved to host a first-round game," said Whipple. "I felt that both of us should have played our first-round games at home and then we should have met in the second round. I just felt that with a 10-2 record with losses at Kansas State and at Delaware that we should have hosted a first-round game."

Whip (http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/football/articles/2003/11/30/comments_by_whipple_whipped_up_the_raiders/)

Go...gate
November 26th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Fair enough. I know my memory is not want it used to be, but I didn't think it was THAT bad. :rotateh:

I was wrong and you are right. I'm sorry to you and all UMass fans for any misunderstanding. Upon further investigation (e.g I pulled out the 2003 Colgate playoff-run stuff which I keep with my sports-memorabilia stuff), my source was second-or-third hand, for all I may know - it was an November '03 e-mail account from a fellow Colgate alum and fan copied to a bunch of us. However, no papers or anything else I collected on Colgate-UMass mentioned the quote.

I'm glad you called me on it, and doubly glad we got to the truth. And as I said above, I hope UMass wins the championship.

saint0917
November 26th, 2006, 06:35 PM
I was wrong and you are right.

That's o.k. just don't let it happen again. J/K :asswhip: :asswhip: ;)

Go...gate
November 26th, 2006, 06:57 PM
That's o.k. just don't let it happen again. J/K :asswhip: :asswhip: ;)

I know it sounds silly, but one of the things which I really respect about this board is the general sense of integrity as to what people post. I feel a moral obligation to do no harm to that integrity.

Tubby Raymond
November 26th, 2006, 06:58 PM
Wrong. He was quoted as saying that we had never won a play-off game (we had) and that no school with Colgate's facilities should ever host a playoff game. (POSTERS: PLEASE DISREGARD THIS SENTENCE FOR THE REASONS SET FORTH TWO POSTS BELOW)

Whipple was a G-D azzhole and Umass is lucky he moved on. He did a disservice to his players and to UMass athletics, which are a pretty classy group in general.

Having said all this, I have a lot of respect for UMass FB and its yearly rivalry with Colgate. I hope UMass goes all the way.

Whipple won them a NC, he will have a spot in all of thier hearts forever.
I thought he was a whiner and conplainer as well but that's a bit harsh

Umass74
November 26th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I was wrong and you are right. I'm sorry to you and all UMass fans for any misunderstanding. Upon further investigation (e.g I pulled out the 2003 Colgate playoff-run stuff which I keep with my sports-memorabilia stuff), my source was second-or-third hand, for all I may know - it was an November '03 e-mail account from a fellow Colgate alum and fan copied to a bunch of us. However, no papers or anything else I collected on Colgate-UMass mentioned the quote.

I'm glad you called me on it, and doubly glad we got to the truth. And as I said above, I hope UMass wins the championship.

Thanks, Go--Gate! You're a good man. :bow:

Gonna miss the Colgate-UMass series after it winds up next year. :beerchug:

saint0917
November 27th, 2006, 06:24 AM
I know it sounds silly, but one of the things which I really respect about this board is the general sense of integrity as to what people post. I feel a moral obligation to do no harm to that integrity.

We love you gate xsmoochx