PDA

View Full Version : 2015 AGS POLL PRESEASON VOTE IS OPEN

AGSPoll
July 23rd, 2015, 11:15 AM
The poll is now open. The poll will close at Noon Eastern on Monday morning.

The earlier you vote, the better, because this gives you time to double check your ballot before submitting it to prevent duplicates, and gives you time to respond to any emails/PMs regarding your poll before it closes on Monday.

VOTE HERE (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SamuXuEbjLe1Tcrd0lIGN72dHs6XT2FdgYoerdOnQyw/viewform?usp=send_form)

There is also a link (the red VOTE HERE) to vote in this accounts signature. And as you may have noticed the old "Vote Here" link that was at the top of the page now resides at the bottom of the page. It will show up sometime today or tonight I assume but you have many options so no need to wait for that one doorway to open up.

Feel free to use the AGS Poll Forum to discuss teams that should be under consideration, teams that you feel should drop, teams to keep an eye on in the coming weeks, etc.

Just don't post where you are ranking a specific team until after the results are published.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 11:35 AM
Hey, I know dewey me a kindness in the other thread and posted a couple links with pertinent information but I'm just swamped today and could use some help corralling that information and those thread links here if you happen to run across them fellers and fine ladies.

paward
July 23rd, 2015, 01:12 PM
Wow where does time go? I said I would retire last year. May as well give it another chance. Thanks for the email reminder.

bluehenbillk
July 23rd, 2015, 01:13 PM
Poll is submitted. I'm itching for football, I want to hit somebody!

dewey
July 23rd, 2015, 01:15 PM
Here is a link to "Returning Experience" sheet...it is on post 21.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?170358-Returning-experience-numbers/page3

Here is a link to a "Who's in your top 30..in alphabetical order" thread.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?170741-In-Alphabetical-order-who-is-your-top-30

Here is a link to the preseason conference polls.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?170731-2015-Conference-Preseason-Polls

Here is a link to a thread about the preseason poll in which numerous experienced voters discuss their ways of creating their polls.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?170736-The-AGS-Preseason-Poll-Opens-07-23-2015-ATTN-NEWBS

Here is a link to the GameDay preseason poll.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?170361-Gameday-s-Preseason-Poll

Here is a link to the Athlon Sports preseason top 25 poll.
http://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-top-25-and-all-american-team-2015

Here is a link to the final AGS 2014 top 25.
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?166872-Results-for-01-12-2015-Final-2014-Season-AGS-Poll&highlight=final+2014

Dewey

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2015, 01:29 PM
Voted. I would suggest we remove the biggest winner and loser in the voting. There was no game so I put NDSU and ISU but I don't really think there is a need to do this anyway. As for voting in general, it is very easy. I would just suggest we get rid of the winner and loser pick, especially in the preseason. Other than that thanks! I'm very busy during the season but I always have 5-10 minutes to finalize my vote and submit.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 01:56 PM
Voted. I would suggest we remove the biggest winner and loser in the voting. There was no game so I put NDSU and ISU but I don't really think there is a need to do this anyway. As for voting in general, it is very easy. I would just suggest we get rid of the winner and loser pick, especially in the preseason. Other than that thanks! I'm very busy during the season but I always have 5-10 minutes to finalize my vote and submit.

You may not realize it but that is a **** ton of work for just one poll so as always I'm gonna tell you and anyone else as I do every year that it is not required for you to fill out at any point in the season if you do not want to. It is voluntary.

The very first option is " ----------------------------- " and it specifically there for such an occassion.

UIWWildthing
July 23rd, 2015, 01:58 PM
For the first time I took part in the poll. Should be interesting to see what it looks like.

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2015, 01:59 PM
You may not realize it but that is a **** ton of work for just one poll so as always I'm gonna tell you and anyone else as I do every year that it is not required for you to fill out at any point in the season if you do not want to. It is voluntary.

The very first option is " ----------------------------- " and it specifically there for such an occassion.

Could you just remove it all together for the entire year since it is not voluntary? I must have missed the posts where you said we don't have to fill it out. I see and do it because I thought we had to. I'm sure most people would be all for just removing it.

Thanks for all you do Ursus!

clenz
July 23rd, 2015, 02:07 PM
Could you just remove it all together for the entire year since it is not voluntary? I must have missed the posts where you said we don't have to fill it out. I see and do it because I thought we had to. I'm sure most people would be all for just removing it.

It's voluntary only for the preseason.

It's a **** ton of work to remove it...actually pretty much impossible to add them back in once they are removed. I don't do the poll but I use docs for my pick em. It's not as simple as take it off and put it on

It takes .5 seconds to pick the -------------- option.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 02:20 PM

What makes you think all would be all for it? I'm not. This has always been a part of the AGS Poll and is something in addition that is very easy to guage what pollsters thought was a big win and someone that should have not lost.

I'll admit that some people just give it little thought and use the same game all the time but sometimes the biggest game of a week will give you that.

I appreciate the good word and all but man the thing is I just don't see what makes you think it ought just be removed when it's been attached to this poll since the beginning I think. Why take it away from everybody? What sense does that make if you think about it?

Not trying to come down on you or anything here just wondering where you are coming from with this?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 02:23 PM
It's voluntary only for the preseason.

It's a **** ton of work to remove it...actually pretty much impossible to add them back in once they are removed. I don't do the poll but I use docs for my pick em. It's not as simple as take it off and put it on

It takes .5 seconds to pick the -------------- option.

I'd just as soon people do pick a team during the year but nobody is penalized for not picking one or the other. Some people only want to pick the most significant win and leave the other dashed out.

If it got to the point where even a small percentage did not want to pick it then I'd still run it I'd think but as it is now I think there is maybe one or two people a week that go with dashes.

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2015, 02:26 PM
What makes you think all would be all for it? I'm not. This has always been a part of the AGS Poll and is something in addition that is very easy to guage what pollsters thought was a big win and someone that should have not lost.

I'll admit that some people just give it little thought and use the same game all the time but sometimes the biggest game of a week will give you that.

I appreciate the good word and all but man the thing is I just don't see what makes you think it ought just be removed when it's been attached to this poll since the beginning I think. Why take it away from everybody? What sense does that make if you think about it?

Not trying to come down on you or anything here just wondering where you are coming from with this?

I said most, not all! I know some are. It's really kind of pointless in that the biggest winner is the team who beat the highest ranked team and the biggest loser is usually the team who is either knocked out of the poll or has the biggest upset. I guess it's like if you had a 6th finger. It's cool but not needed is what I mean. For me, it takes up another 30 seconds I could use. I try to find every way to add any extra time to my week I can during the season because I have so much to do.

You notice I rarely post during the fall except maybe once a week after several weeks when I put my weekly Payton/Buchanan watch together. Anyone want to swap jobs with me so I can have more free time? haha.

clenz
July 23rd, 2015, 02:33 PM
I'd just as soon people do pick a team during the year but nobody is penalized for not picking one or the other. Some people only want to pick the most significant win and leave the other dashed out.

If it got to the point where even a small percentage did not want to pick it then I'd still run it I'd think but as it is now I think there is maybe one or two people a week that go with dashes.
They only issue I have is that there's such an open endedness to significant.

To mean a team winning, that should have won, but did so on a last second field goal against a team they should have beat by 3 or 4 scores is every bit as "significant" in my poll as a team pulling an upset in many weeks.

On the other side, if a team ranked 15 is playing a team ranked 8 they *should* lose. However, if they lose by 17 and get out-gained by 100+ yards and teams behind them show something that's way more significant than #9 getting beat by #13, which would likely end up as "most significant".

I like the option. I just look at it different than most do.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 02:36 PM
I said most, not all! I know some are. It's really kind of pointless in that the biggest winner is the team who beat the highest ranked team and the biggest loser is usually the team who is either knocked out of the poll or has the biggest upset. I guess it's like if you had a 6th finger. It's cool but not needed is what I mean. For me, it takes up another 30 seconds I could use. I try to find every way to add any extra time to my week I can during the season because I have so much to do.

You notice I rarely post during the fall except maybe once a week after several weeks when I put my weekly Payton/Buchanan watch together. Anyone want to swap jobs with me so I can have more free time? haha.

You are worried about your 10 seconds? xlolx

You wanna hear about the 100's of hours I got into this thing? You are gonna have to deal with it and I don't feel bad about that. If you think it's pointless I am fine with that and don't really give a crap. Others use it and it will stay for those that do like seeing it.

The only reason you say you know what it is going to be is because there is proof provided by the voters each week as to what they thought. In short it doesn't matter if you think it's needed or not. Trying to pretend that selecting the first option in two boxes is too taxing for you is to be honest sort of an odd looking thing here. Dont' pretend that your time is so short you don't waste much more than 10 seconds on less productive crap.

Good lord. xlolx

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2015, 02:36 PM

To mean a team winning, that should have won, but did so on a last second field goal against a team they should have beat by 3 or 4 scores is every bit as "significant" in my poll as a team pulling an upset in many weeks.

On the other side, if a team ranked 15 is playing a team ranked 8 they *should* lose. However, if they lose by 17 and get out-gained by 100+ yards and teams behind them show something that's way more significant than #9 getting beat by #13, which would likely end up as "most significant".

I would like for it not to be mandatory at all. I would be interested to see how many people make sure to do it weekly if they don't have to. You can look at it different ways but I guess I just don't see it as something that is needed. No other poll does it. I think the fact AGS is pretty much the most accurate, and least political, is what separates it. That's good enough for me.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 02:38 PM

It's exactly how everything is in this poll. It is what it means to you and you alone. Then we mix it all together and see what we think as a community.

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2015, 02:40 PM
You are worried about your 10 seconds? xlolx

You wanna hear about the 100's of hours I got into this thing? You are gonna have to deal with it and I don't feel bad about that. If you think it's pointless I am fine with that and don't really give a crap. Others use it and it will stay for those that do like seeing it.

The only reason you say you know what it is going to be is because there is proof provided by the voters each week as to what they thought. In short it doesn't matter if you think it's needed or not. Trying to pretend that selecting the first option in two boxes is too taxing for you is to be honest sort of an odd looking thing here. Dont' pretend that your time is so short you don't waste much more than 10 seconds on less productive crap.

Good lord. xlolx

When you put in 12-14 hour days and have ZERO personal life from August through March to April, then yes anytime I don't have to do something that isn't mandatory helps me tremendously. I may have very little to do from June through August 1 but when you put in 80-88 hours a week during that time, it's nice to have some things not be mandatory. If I showed you what all I have to do and need to do for my job just to make sure nobody is missed, you would have more pity on me! :) LOL

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 02:43 PM
I would like for it not to be mandatory at all. I would be interested to see how many people make sure to do it weekly if they don't have to. You can look at it different ways but I guess I just don't see it as something that is needed. No other poll does it. I think the fact AGS is pretty much the most accurate, and least political, is what separates it. That's good enough for me.

One thing I love hearing is "no other poll does it". None of it is needed. It is voluntary to be involved in any capacity.

It's staying.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 02:47 PM
When you put in 12-14 hour days and have ZERO personal life from August through March to April, then yes anytime I don't have to do something that isn't mandatory helps me tremendously. I may have very little to do from June through August 1 but when you put in 80-88 hours a week during that time, it's nice to have some things not be mandatory. If I showed you what all I have to do and need to do for my job just to make sure nobody is missed, you would have more pity on me! :) LOL

We've all got stories brother. I run a couple of my own businesses, one of them is a business managing the finances of 9 other business. Then I manage this place, produce a radio show, and field questions about a small inconvenience on a poll. You ain't got **** on me brother so honestly I have zero pity.

Now this is over so let's quit messing up this thread with it.

ElonFirefighter
July 23rd, 2015, 03:05 PM
We've all got stories brother. I run a couple of my own businesses, one of them is a business managing the finances of 9 other business. Then I manage this place, produce a radio show, and field questions about a small inconvenience on a poll. You ain't got **** on me brother so honestly I have zero pity.

Aww running a radio show was nothing ;) After doing the CAA show last year with shperman along with running my board and regular work, I dont know how you do it and stay sane

Missingnumber7
July 23rd, 2015, 03:13 PM
First Poll submission is submitted!

blackbeard
July 23rd, 2015, 03:27 PM

Discovered I could pick the dashes earlier today by accident. First time I was aware of it, but it will be my go to until the answer becomes meaningful.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 23rd, 2015, 03:32 PM
Discovered I could pick the dashes earlier today by accident. First time I was aware of it, but it will be my go to until the answer becomes meaningful.

I guess I forget about reiterating things like that each year to people and I could have done that just didn't think of it. Glad SCFF and you made mention of it just so it could be put out there to others.

One cool thing I've seen people do in the preseason for that is take the experience rating and adjust for incoming JC's and transfers and put in just the team they thought did the best job of loading up. I'm probably not gona do that but it's pretty cool.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 23rd, 2015, 03:46 PM
I'm still trying to figure out about 10-12 teams. I felt pretty good about my Top 30 for about an hour. Now it seems a little too chalk. Towson, Western Carolina and Duquesne are teams that are growing on me....

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2015, 04:21 PM

LOL. I hear you. I know we all have busy jobs. Nobody pities me because I'm involved in football. Everyone I know still says I don't ever work and all I do is play around on the keyboard. It's just how it is. I'm use to it lol

smallcollegefbfan
July 23rd, 2015, 04:23 PM
I'm still trying to figure out about 10-12 teams. I felt pretty good about my Top 30 for about an hour. Now it seems a little too chalk. Towson, Western Carolina and Duquesne are teams that are growing on me....

I like WCU. They have talent and a good coaching staff. Duquesne has the 2nd best WR in all of FCS and a few players who you could argue are FBS caliber players who just got overlooked out of high school. I can see your dilemma. I left Towson and Duquesne out but they are close. I put WCU in the 20-25 range.

Catatonic
July 23rd, 2015, 04:42 PM
Poll submitted. I feel like a "homer." I feel good about the top of my poll but 15-25 was something of a crap shoot, at least for me. All the teams in this range had significant holes to fill and much depends on how well transfers and holdovers fit in. I went heavily for teams from the SLC-- SFA, UCA, Mcneese, and Northwestern State along with Sam Houston and SELA in the top half of my bracket. New players won't work out for all these schools, but each could be very good if the newbies step up.

blackbeard
July 23rd, 2015, 04:47 PM

I think Duquesne has the potential to be very good this year. I really want to put them pretty high but I'm not very familiar with what they are returning other than a few offensive stars. I know SHU was lucky as hell to get out of there with the win last year. WR King was the best player I saw last year - yes better than the WR trio from Fordham. We also knocked out their QB in the first couple of series and he had been putting up huge numbers coming into the game. I know both are back and with a reasonable returning cast they will be formidable.

UIWWildthing
July 24th, 2015, 06:51 AM

I want to believe....

Tribe4SF
July 24th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Done. Gospel!:D

IBleedYellow
July 24th, 2015, 08:32 AM
That felt like the most chalk poll I've ever done.

That said, I'm saving my poll perfection again this year since last year this saved my butt.

Gangtackle11
July 24th, 2015, 08:54 AM
I have also submitted my top 25.

Bison56
July 24th, 2015, 03:10 PM
That was harder than I thought it would be, amazing how much extra stuff pops into your head when you actually sit down to fill it out.

bjtheflamesfan
July 24th, 2015, 03:53 PM
DOne. I will probably be submitting my poll from the break room at work on Sunday since that is where I can grab some decent Wi-Fi on a week to week basis

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 24th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Submitted!! Let the games begin!

catamount man
July 24th, 2015, 07:20 PM
Just sent my preseason poll in. NDSU #1, Western Carolina #25....and climbing. :D GO CATS!

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2015, 07:31 PM
Just sent my preseason poll in. NDSU #1, Western Carolina #25....and climbing. :D GO CATS!

I had you at 24 and almost put you as high as 22. Not a homer vote to have you in the poll at all. WCU actually has a shot to be a playoff team and maybe win a game or two this year. If Helva has an All-SoCon type season and you guys stay healthy I expect 7-4 or 8-3. If you just had 1 FBS game then I would say you have a real shot at a 9 win season.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 24th, 2015, 07:47 PM

Had you between 20-25. I think the Catamounts are Chatty's biggest hurdle. I had the Mocs near the head of the class...

smallcollegefbfan
July 24th, 2015, 08:11 PM
Had you between 20-25. I think the Catamounts are Chatty's biggest hurdle. I had the Mocs near the head of the class...

No doubt. If WCU doesn't beat UTC then I don't see UTC being stopped from winning the SoCon title.

catamount man
July 24th, 2015, 08:36 PM
I had you at 24 and almost put you as high as 22. Not a homer vote to have you in the poll at all. WCU actually has a shot to be a playoff team and maybe win a game or two this year. If Helva has an All-SoCon type season and you guys stay healthy I expect 7-4 or 8-3. If you just had 1 FBS game then I would say you have a real shot at a 9 win season.

I think this may be the last year we have two FBS games. The SoCon commissioner has already told the schools powers to be that he is essentially sick of the SoCon being down and has said money game losses are a reason for that. I know Western plays at East Carolina in 2016, at Hawaii in 2017, at NC State in both 2019 and 2024. Other than that, I don't know of any scheduled FBS games. GO CATS!

catamount man
July 24th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Had you between 20-25. I think the Catamounts are Chatty's biggest hurdle. I had the Mocs near the head of the class... yeah, I put the Mocs at #5.

Daytripper
July 24th, 2015, 09:10 PM
My poll is submitted. I hope it plays out like I predicted. While I don't think NDSU will get one for the thumb this year, I put them #1 because nobody has done anything to challenge them to this point.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 24th, 2015, 10:20 PM
The poll is now open. The poll will close at Noon Eastern on Monday morning.

The earlier you vote, the better, because this gives you time to double check your ballot before submitting it to prevent duplicates, and gives you time to respond to any emails/PMs regarding your poll before it closes on Monday.

VOTE HERE (https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1SamuXuEbjLe1Tcrd0lIGN72dHs6XT2FdgYoerdOnQyw/viewform?usp=send_form)

There is also a link (the red VOTE HERE) to vote in this accounts signature. And as you may have noticed the old "Vote Here" link that was at the top of the page now resides at the bottom of the page. It will show up sometime today or tonight I assume but you have many options so no need to wait for that one doorway to open up.

Feel free to use the AGS Poll Forum to discuss teams that should be under consideration, teams that you feel should drop, teams to keep an eye on in the coming weeks, etc.

Just don't post where you are ranking a specific team until after the results are published.

The last line, bolded, in the first post is something I'd like to promote at this point.

catamount man
July 24th, 2015, 11:46 PM
The last line, bolded, in the first post is something I'd like to promote at this point. OOPS! buzzkiller...LOL!

ursus arctos horribilis
July 25th, 2015, 12:56 AM
OOPS! buzzkiller...LOL!

I know.:D

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 25th, 2015, 07:03 AM
This was a tough one. Lots of moving teams around.

SU DOG
July 25th, 2015, 12:11 PM
No doubt. If WCU doesn't beat UTC then I don't see UTC being stopped from winning the SoCon title.

No boast, but isn't there just possibly another team that could upset that applecart? LOL

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2015, 12:15 PM
I think this may be the last year we have two FBS games. The SoCon commissioner has already told the schools powers to be that he is essentially sick of the SoCon being down and has said money game losses are a reason for that. I know Western plays at East Carolina in 2016, at Hawaii in 2017, at NC State in both 2019 and 2024. Other than that, I don't know of any scheduled FBS games. GO CATS!

Playing a FBS team is smart and can heavily help the draft stock of a legit player on your team but I do not see any need to play two teams. Being a playoff team is big for a school like you guys and I hope you aren't one D1 win shy of getting in because of playing two FBS teams this year.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2015, 12:19 PM
No boast, but isn't there just possibly another team that could upset that applecart? LOL

Anything could happen but as you can see with the polls it would be a huge upset if UTC does not win it. As for WCU, they seem to be the only team considered as a legit candidate to pull an upset because they have so much returning and this coaching staff has vastly improved the program ever since arriving to WCU.

Good point though. I guess it's possible Wofford or Furman pulls an upset over them. LOL :)

PantherRob82
July 25th, 2015, 06:36 PM
I don't get overly excited about WCU. They return a lot, but from a team that lost to Presbyterian, got DEMOLISHED by UT-C at home and lost the following week to Samford. I included them in my top 40 to consider for the poll, but don't expect a lot from them this season.

clenz
July 25th, 2015, 07:09 PM
I don't get overly excited about WCU. They return a lot, but from a team that lost to Presbyterian, got DEMOLISHED by UT-C at home and lost the following week to Samford. I included them in my top 40 to consider for the poll, but don't expect a lot from them this season.
My thoughts as well

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dewey
July 25th, 2015, 11:34 PM
Done. I tried to do as much research as I could by looking at other polls, returning experience, how they did last year versus other teams and other posters top 30.

I did create a spreadsheet similar to Clenz's to make sure I don't make any blatant mistakes like last year.

Dewey

BisonFan02
July 26th, 2015, 08:52 AM
Finishing touches to be done today/afternoon. I'm really torn on a few teams....my own included.

grizband
July 26th, 2015, 02:08 PM
Finishing touches to be done today/afternoon. I'm really torn on a few teams....my own included.
I think your team has pre season number 1 locked up :cool: I stayed a spreadsheet last night, of the teams who finished atop their conferences last year. I'm curious if anyone knows a team who may not have finished well last year, but had an argument to be a pre season top 25 team.

knucklehead
July 26th, 2015, 02:28 PM
Uploading mine now. Feel great thru about 14 or 15 and then.....well I did my best. haha

BisonTru
July 26th, 2015, 02:44 PM
I think your team has pre season number 1 locked up :cool: I stayed a spreadsheet last night, of the teams who finished atop their conferences last year. I'm curious if anyone knows a team who may not have finished well last year, but had an argument to be a pre season top 25 team.

YSU and W&M both barely missed the playoffs but have a lot of talent returning.

However, judging the last few seasons, YSU is pretty comfortable in that first four out group.

Catsfan90
July 26th, 2015, 04:57 PM
Uploading mine now. Feel great thru about 14 or 15 and then.....well I did my best. haha
Same here. After that i deffinately consulted Massey, and a few other preseason polls.

BisonFan02
July 26th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Done.............and I think I already hate it. xlolx

grizband
July 26th, 2015, 10:41 PM
That was tough, but I'm done. At least with regular season polls we have tangible evidence to base our projections...

clenz
July 27th, 2015, 07:11 AM
Done.............and I think I already hate it. xlolx
That's where I'm at.

I had my vote done 2 or 3 weeks ago. As I started putting it into my ballot I changed probably 5 spots around, dropped and dropped 2 teams completely out.

It looked really good, until it came time to hit submit.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 27th, 2015, 10:53 AM
The poll closed in less than 10 minutes now.