PDA

View Full Version : NCAA to distribute $18.9M to help pay cost-of-attendance scholarships

Lehigh Football Nation
July 20th, 2015, 03:32 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/07/20/ncaa-18-million-help-pay-cost--attendance-scholarships/30428777/

The NCAA doing something for the little guys in the Division I world. I find this very good news that will help the most strapped schools the most.

The differential between the value of a grant-in-aid scholarship and a cost-of-attendance scholarship is considered to be, on average, around $3,000.

If a school used the new money only to help deal with this expense, it would cover the cost-of-attendance differential for more than 18 athletes. That is more than can be on scholarship in men’s basketball or women’s basketball, the two sports that the most modestly funded athletics programs are wanting to try to cover as they attempt to remain as competitive as possible with high-revenue schools.

xthumbsupx

Catsfan90
July 20th, 2015, 04:26 PM
The fact that a non profit organisation has this much money to throw around -__-

Sandlapper Spike
July 20th, 2015, 04:54 PM
The fact that a non profit organisation has this much money to throw around -__-

It won't have that much if it keeps losing lawsuits in which it has to pay the plaintiffs' attorneys. Better enjoy this money while it's there; it may not be after Jeffrey Kessler is through with the NCAA.

FUBeAR
July 20th, 2015, 04:55 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/2015/07/20/ncaa-18-million-help-pay-cost--attendance-scholarships/30428777/

The NCAA doing something for the little guys in the Division I world. I find this very good news that will help the most strapped schools the most.
xthumbsupx

Kinda think most SoCon schools will use all of their $55k on M&W Hoops COA's cuz...let's just say they WANTED to use it for football, that would mean they will have to divide that $55k by 126 (63 x 2) to stay Title IX compliant...$436.51/athlete...that's not going to help a whole lot, nor turn many heads in recruiting. On the other hand...15 W Hoops Schollies...give 13 more (M Hoops limit) = 28 or $1,964.29 / athlete...and the school will make up any difference in this number and their Avg COA $ figure OR disburse any 'leftover' to buy a case of Gator/Power-Ade for the Football Team. So...nice gesture by the NCAA, but I don't think it's going to impact FCS Football very much.

BTW - I read somewhere that Liberty had calculated their COA at $6,000. It's still in Lynchburg, right? WOW! $6,000 is about the same as the average household income in the greater Lynchburg area, isn't it? xangelx

Sandlapper Spike
July 20th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Part of the COA is based on transportation costs. It wouldn't be surprising if that were a fairly high number for Lynchburg, Virginia. 60% of Liberty's undergraduate students are from out of state.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 21st, 2015, 09:17 AM
What surprises me a little is that this is coming from the NCAA and not the P5, or at least not being matched by the P5. If the P5 matched so many more kids might be able to have part of their education paid for.

walliver
July 21st, 2015, 10:29 AM
What surprises me a little is that this is coming from the NCAA and not the P5, or at least not being matched by the P5. If the P5 matched so many more kids might be able to have part of their education paid for.

Almost all of the NCAA's money comes from March Madness, so it is most appropriate that the NCAA distribute this money to cover basketball COA. We all know that the top basketball recruits would generally rather play in packed arenas in front of 10,000+ fans, and as a result the P5 schools as well as a small group of other big time basketball schools will continue to dominate March Madness. But, this at least allows all D-I schools to play on an otherwise level playing field.

I don't see why the P5 should use any of their football resources to subsidize the G5 or FCS. They may be greedy bastards, but it's still their money.

BEAR
July 22nd, 2015, 09:44 AM
Give it all to the baseball teams. Seriously.