PDA

View Full Version : UNI won't offer stipends for football players

centennial
July 17th, 2015, 07:39 PM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/northern-iowa/uni-panthers/2015/07/17/northern-iowa-mark-farley-ncaa-spending/30308439/

If others follow, the Panthers could be in a tough spot."The main thing that I'm concerned with is keeping an eye on equity," Northern Iowa coach Mark Farley said. "We want to make sure we have equity within FCS, so we can have equal opportunities to be competitive.

"You want that within your league and you want that within your university."
It's more difficult for FCS programs to bring in revenue, due to a lack of multimillion-dollar television deals.
The Panthers lose roughly $500,000 a year. Northern Iowa will not offer stipends for football, but will do it for men's and women's basketball, plus volleyball.

Interestingly, he talks about equity. I am not sure others will care if UNI can afford stipends. It wouldn't surprise me if after NDSU, or SDSU get it some others follow.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 17th, 2015, 08:08 PM
NDSU will offer these stipends soon IMO. Sooner the better.

Jackal
July 17th, 2015, 08:33 PM
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/northern-iowa/uni-panthers/2015/07/17/northern-iowa-mark-farley-ncaa-spending/30308439/

Interestingly, he talks about equity. I am not sure others will care if UNI can afford stipends. It wouldn't surprise me if after NDSU, or SDSU get it some others follow.
Based on some comments from our AD and what iv'e heard elsewhere, i'm guessing the Jacks will offer it in basketball and take a wait and see approach beyond that.

clenz
July 17th, 2015, 09:16 PM
I wouldn't buy too much into anything the DSM Rag, or quotes UNI gives them.

They are notorious for having a strong anti UNI slant and ignoring them except when the football team gets to about #3 in the polls or the basketball team is making a run. Same newspaper than in 2010 didn't cover a single UNI basketball game and was then turned down for S16 credentials and threw a hissy fit.

The other time the rag talks about UNI is mid to late July when there's nothing else to be written. They then publish 4 or 5 articles all about "can UNI afford to be D1" or "UNI should drop sports" full of half stories and quarter truths. They do it right about now as we build into football season to "remind people that UNI football isn't equal with Iowa and Iowa State and doesn't deserve your money or attention". As proof I think there was 3 or 4 of those very kinds of articles released today. They like to twist quotes and numbers in their favor. UNI knows this and gives them little.

The reality is there is no need to give them for football right now. Our peers are not. Why throw money at something that isn't a problem and we don't know will be if no one else is. I promise you UNI will be one of the first 3 to do it for football in the MVFC

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

centennial
July 17th, 2015, 10:16 PM

They are notorious for having a strong anti UNI slant and ignoring them except when the football team gets to about #3 in the polls or the basketball team is making a run. Same newspaper than in 2010 didn't cover a single UNI basketball game and was then turned down for S16 credentials and threw a hissy fit.

The other time the rag talks about UNI is mid to late July when there's nothing else to be written. They then publish 4 or 5 articles all about "can UNI afford to be D1" or "UNI should drop sports" full of half stories and quarter truths. They do it right about now as we build into football season to "remind people that UNI football isn't equal with Iowa and Iowa State and doesn't deserve your money or attention". As proof I think there was 3 or 4 of those very kinds of articles released today. They like to twist quotes and numbers in their favor. UNI knows this and gives them little.

The reality is there is no need to give them for football right now. Our peers are not. Why throw money at something that isn't a problem and we don't know will be if no one else is. I promise you UNI will be one of the first 3 to do it for football in the MVFC

It becomes a problem when other teams start taking players right from under your nose. If the COA becomes a thing; expect a new elite in the FCS.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 18th, 2015, 06:43 AM

If NDSU starts giving out these stipends you can bet Farley will be wanting them....guarantee that!

No_Skill
July 18th, 2015, 08:02 AM
If NDSU starts giving out these stipends you can bet Farley will be wanting them....guarantee that!

We won't have real answers any time soon. I'm pretty sure our AD said the soonest NDSU would make a decision would be next year.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 18th, 2015, 08:21 AM
We won't have real answers any time soon. I'm pretty sure our AD said the soonest NDSU would make a decision would be next year.

I guess I didn't see him make that comment. I still think NDSU will start giving these out in basketball and football and maybe volleyball real soon.

clenz
July 18th, 2015, 09:02 AM
I guess I didn't see him make that comment. I still think NDSU will start giving these out in basketball and football and maybe volleyball real soon.
UNI is doing MBB, WBB and volleyball this year. I wouldn't be shocked to see football, wrestling and maybe softball happen much sooner than later

dewey
July 18th, 2015, 11:08 AM
It will be interesting to see how the COA stipends shake out in the conference and in the FCS. If schools like NDSU, UNI and SDSU offer COA but others don't then it would seem to me that the schools that don't would be at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting.

Do the G5 and the FCS schools that do offer COA make their own division and the FCS schools that don't offer COA join Division 2?

Dewey

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 18th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Today on the radio, Dom Izzo and Jeff Kolpack, (local TV sports anchor and local sports writer), said that the COA stipends are a done deal at NDSU. Didn't say when but I assume by next year.

UNI Pike
July 18th, 2015, 02:30 PM
COA stipends would need to roughly balance between men's and women's sports, otherwise the Obama admin Ed Department will file a title IX action. So its not $3,000 * 63 ($189,000), but $3,000 * 126 ($378,000) per year. Its possible, but a significant amount of dollars.

dewey
July 18th, 2015, 02:42 PM
COA stipends would need to roughly balance between men's and women's sports, otherwise the Obama admin Ed Department will file a title IX action. So its not $3,000 * 63 ($189,000), but $3,000 * 126 ($378,000) per year. Its possible, but a significant amount of dollars.

Excellent post. It would require a good balancing act.

Dewey

ValleyChamp
July 18th, 2015, 05:09 PM
Today on the radio, Dom Izzo and Jeff Kolpack, (local TV sports anchor and local sports writer), said that the COA stipends are a done deal at NDSU. Didn't say when but I assume by next year.

Done deal for football or the MBB/WBB type sports? Obviously a huge difference there. This isn't something schools can legally just do for football,

I don't see what the big revelation is here. The vast majority of FCS programs cant/aren't going to offer the stipend for football, and they have said as much since this idea was born.

If it becomes a necessity to offer COA to compete at the top of FCS, schools like UNI will surely do so. But until then, and the FCS is nowhere near that point right now, it would be silly to do so.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 18th, 2015, 05:28 PM
Done deal for football or the MBB/WBB type sports? Obviously a huge difference there. This isn't something schools can legally just do for football,

I don't see what the big revelation is here. The vast majority of FCS programs cant/aren't going to offer the stipend for football, and they have said as much since this idea was born.

If it becomes a necessity to offer COA to compete at the top of FCS, schools like UNI will surely do so. But until then, and the FCS is nowhere near that point right now, it would be silly to do so.

It isn't silly at all. When NDSU does this, you can bet Farley will be lobbying for it. It is a definite recruiting advantage. Believe what you want about most FCS schools not doing this, NDSU will soon.

The two guys mentioned MMB, WBB, VB and FB. NDSU is going to do it, just a matter of when. They indicated it will be soon.

ValleyChamp
July 18th, 2015, 05:40 PM
You are also free to believe what you want, but NDSU is not going to throw money away paying for football COA if nobody else is doing so.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 18th, 2015, 05:43 PM
You are also free to believe what you want, but NDSU is not going to throw money away paying for football COA if nobody else is doing so.

Well, I tend to believe two guys that cover the Bison over someone just guessing.

They have interviewed the AD and coaches about this. Have you?

Another thing: It is not throwing money away. If no one else in the Valley does it then NDSU has a big recruiting advantage over everyone else.

NoDak 4 Ever
July 18th, 2015, 05:48 PM
NDSU is one of the most consistently well funded football programs. If they have it, they'll spend it.

They won't give a recruiting advantage to anyone.

Bisonoline
July 18th, 2015, 08:34 PM

Its not throwing money away. Its an investment in our athletes now and in the future. It also takes some of the financial burden off the families. NDSU has always been very well funded. They had fund raising arms when nobody else was doing it. I see no difference with this scenario.