PDA

View Full Version : From the Way Back Machine (Throwback Tuesday?)

AmsterBison
July 7th, 2015, 08:02 AM
The poster, FCSRecruiting, posted his thoughts on a few of the 2011 recruiting classes. In retrospect, wow, he did a lot of work.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?82032-All-Recruiting-Class-Ratings-Here

He did a good job on NDSU's class - better than I'd have done, that's for sure. I don't think that anybody would have predicted that only 5 of the 19 would still be on the team though (yikes!) Only Wentz, Albers, Bonnet, Champion, and CJ Smith remain.

Luckily, the walk-ons from the class have been outstanding. Joe Haeg, LT, has a decent shot of going to the NFL after this year. Brian Schaetz is a starter at DT again. WR Nate Moody played as a true freshman and is coming back from injury for his final year. FB Jedre Cyr is currently the second FB and just keeps getting better.

How was the analysis of the other teams?

Professor Chaos
July 7th, 2015, 08:57 AM
I think what they had in that thread was all they ended up doing. I think they had aspirations of doing one for every school that they could get video on for all recruits but they sputtered after the few they did. Not saying they didn't do a lot of work on the ones they did, it was a gigantic undertaking for those who took it on as something to do in their free time. Guessing they realized that once they got into the process full time and decided that they didn't have the effort or the time to do it all.

You're right about how they did a pretty solid job rating NDSU's recruits. At the time I don't think anyone but the most zealous Bison fans from Bismarck were heaping that kind of praise on Wentz.

Uncle Rico's Clan
July 7th, 2015, 11:46 AM
Wow, this is interesting to look at. Briefly viewing the 2011 recruiting class for Montana, I count 15 guys who are no longer on the roster (16 if you include Hermanson, but he more less started for four straight years, and has used his eligibility). Addison Owen is listed as one of the top players in the class, but unfortunately he hasn't had much of an impact. In my opinion Nate Harris, who is listed at number six on their list, may be one of the top players in that class. He has turned into a really good corner for the Grizzlies, and I'm looking forward to watching him in the secondary this coming season.

It's also kind of funny that they didn't evaluate Derek Crittenden, I understand they didn't have enough film, but I would say he could be an important player on the defensive line this season.

FCSRecruiting
July 10th, 2015, 01:28 AM
I'm shocked anyone would remember. We definitely missed on some but Carson Wentz was a no brainer as long as he stayed healthy. I still can't believe he didn't get more high level FBS interest.

As for why we didn't continue, an untimely health issue and a new coaching gig put a damper on things before we could finish but look for a comeback for this upcoming 2015-16 recruiting class. With HUDL, just about everybody has a highlight film so it should be a lot easier and quicker to do evaluations as schools get commitments.

Mattymc727
July 10th, 2015, 06:41 AM
Damn, that was a great Villanova class. Robertson wasnt even considered the best QB....

Gangtackle11
July 10th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Damn, that was a great Villanova class. Robertson wasnt even considered the best QB....

Polony was considered the QB gem of the class. He started for a bit then JR took over in 2012 Temple game. Polony played well in playoff loss to SHSU last year. Pettway, Kowalski, Monangai, Williams, Harmon all significant contributors.

JR, McCann, Lucas, & Majors return this season. High hopes on the Main line this season. Last 2 recruiting classes considered stronger than most so it might be a sustainable run. Time will tell.