PDA

View Full Version : Retweet Phil Steele if you want FCS Preview Magazine to return

Esso
July 6th, 2015, 10:52 AM
Link to Retweet (https://twitter.com/philsteele042/status/618083011259543552)

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/611857972394758148/LOWYykbL_bigger.jpgPhil SteeleVerified account‏@philsteele042 (https://twitter.com/philsteele042)

ATTENTION FCS FANS. I am considering doing a 2015 FCS (1AA) magazine. Show me your interest level by retweeting.#PhilSteeleFCSMagazine (https://twitter.com/hashtag/PhilSteeleFCSMagazine?src=hash)

clenz
July 6th, 2015, 11:00 AM
I pretty much never retweet this kind of stuff but even I did this.

No reason not too if you have a twitter.

FUBeAR
July 6th, 2015, 11:48 AM

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/611857972394758148/LOWYykbL_bigger.jpgPhil SteeleVerified account‏@philsteele042 (https://twitter.com/philsteele042)

ATTENTION FCS FANS. I am considering doing a 2015 FCS (1AA) magazine. Show me your interest level by retweeting.#PhilSteeleFCSMagazine (https://twitter.com/hashtag/PhilSteeleFCSMagazine?src=hash)

Thanks for posting this Esso! The Mercer Football 'Nation' has been mobilized. Any other SoCon 'Nations' out there added this to their various message boards & media outlets yet?

Catsfan90
July 6th, 2015, 11:52 AM
Yah I am not active on twitter. But for this I definitely will be!

UNIFanSince1983
July 6th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Done!

RichH2
July 6th, 2015, 12:30 PM
A must for all FCS fans. If you're not on twitter join it and do it.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 6th, 2015, 01:05 PM
@AGSFCS just retweeted it as well so hopefully the followers do the same.

Sammy94
July 6th, 2015, 01:09 PM
done

SU DOG
July 6th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Used to always buy that magazine, and I miss it. I HAVE retweeted, and sure hope he prints it.

TheRevSFA
July 6th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Done

ursus arctos horribilis
July 6th, 2015, 04:05 PM
Done

When I went and did it a few hours ago I was like 485 and then checked it about 10 min. later and it went to 530 and just went and looked again and it's around 870 so it's going up pretty quick right now.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 6th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Done.

TheRevSFA
July 6th, 2015, 04:26 PM
When I went and did it a few hours ago I was like 485 and then checked it about 10 min. later and it went to 530 and just went and looked again and it's around 870 so it's going up pretty quick right now.

I got two retweets off of my retweet. Ooh the power of twitter

smallcollegefbfan
July 6th, 2015, 04:39 PM

Done. This is a big chore. He is looking for more than 1000 or even 1500 retweets, I think. The goal here needs to be like 20,000 retweets. Let's get it there!

It just hit 997. Looks like it will hit 1000 but like I said we need to hit about 5,000-8,000 for me to believe they will do it for sure.

Daytripper
July 6th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Add a mention for your school's twitter feed in a reply.

smallcollegefbfan
July 6th, 2015, 05:59 PM
It just hit 1,004 retweets. We really need to hit 2,000 by the end of the day tomorrow and continue about 200-300 per day for a while after this week.

FUBeAR
July 6th, 2015, 06:28 PM
He is looking for more than 1000 or even 1500 retweets

With enough ReTweets here, is PS talking eZine or good old-fashioned forestry by-product? I'm thinking you may know the answer.

mmiller_34
July 6th, 2015, 07:09 PM
I've retweeted. Need to get this publication back into print. It was a very sad day when he decided not to do it anymore.

smallcollegefbfan
July 6th, 2015, 07:55 PM
With enough ReTweets here, is PS talking eZine or good old-fashioned forestry by-product? I'm thinking you may know the answer.

I don't know for sure but all I know is that he can't lose money making it. Phil really wants to do a FCS mag. I know that for a fact. He wouldn't have brought this up otherwise. They just can't lose 50 or 100k on it because they would eventually go out of business. My guess is that 5,000-10,000 retweets would really open eyes but I think 15,000+ would clinch him doing it again.

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 6th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Done. When I retweeted this morning there was only 48.

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 6th, 2015, 08:35 PM
Done. When I retweeted this morning there was only 48.
1168 now. Keep it going.

TheKingpin28
July 6th, 2015, 09:11 PM
1200 and still going. Proud to retweet that

ursus arctos horribilis
July 6th, 2015, 09:47 PM
I don't know for sure but all I know is that he can't lose money making it. Phil really wants to do a FCS mag. I know that for a fact. He wouldn't have brought this up otherwise. They just can't lose 50 or 100k on it because they would eventually go out of business. My guess is that 5,000-10,000 retweets would really open eyes but I think 15,000+ would clinch him doing it again.

Why wouldn't PS do a preorder to see sort of where he would be at with presales which would probably give a good idea or how many to make overall so as not to lose so much money. A person could state up front...If we sell X they will cost the consumer this much, if we sell Y then this much, if we reach z then it's this much.

IF you preorder and the mag is printed then you are on the hook for one of the price levels no matter what.

This is a cool idea to somewhat test interest but it in no way takes any chances of losing money on this. Plus, this was never marketed too well to places like the bookstores on campuses etc. They had a Phil Steele mag but didn't know about the FCS mag when i called ot ask if they had it a few years back and Montana bookstore is normally pretty good about having anything that has the Griz in it.

Just hoping it's not a flop and discussing some problems that seemed to be against this in the past. Certainly not expecting you can answer these SCFF.

smallcollegefbfan
July 6th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Why wouldn't PS do a preorder to see sort of where he would be at with presales which would probably give a good idea or how many to make overall so as not to lose so much money. A person could state up front...If we sell X they will cost the consumer this much, if we sell Y then this much, if we reach z then it's this much.

IF you preorder and the mag is printed then you are on the hook for one of the price levels no matter what.

This is a cool idea to somewhat test interest but it in no way takes any chances of losing money on this. Plus, this was never marketed too well to places like the bookstores on campuses etc. They had a Phil Steele mag but didn't know about the FCS mag when i called ot ask if they had it a few years back and Montana bookstore is normally pretty good about having anything that has the Griz in it.

Just hoping it's not a flop and discussing some problems that seemed to be against this in the past. Certainly not expecting you can answer these SCFF.

That would be an idea. I think with the way the FBS mag has gone he would like to do this one the same way. The issue is that 95% of college football fans don't seem to care that much about FCS. If he polled readers and said he will include FCS in the FBS mag but it will be another 100 pages and will cost 15 dollars more, I think many fans would say no we don't care about FCS so please keep it the same.

If every FCS school's fans would buy the mag then they would not lose money but as you can see this has been up for about a day and only has a little over 1200 retweets out of over 82,000 followers. That is a very small percentage of readers who are on Twitter, let alone the many people who see the mag in stores and buy it but don't even use Twitter.

Back to the issue you are stating. I think the plans and marketing, as well as the selling of magazines to different campuses needs to begin now.

Everyone needs to have their campus bookstore call the Phil Steele office and express their interest to carry it! I hope they decide to do it next year!

ursus arctos horribilis
July 6th, 2015, 10:14 PM
That would be an idea. I think with the way the FBS mag has gone he would like to do this one the same way. The issue is that 95% of college football fans don't seem to care that much about FCS. If he polled readers and said he will include FCS in the FBS mag but it will be another 100 pages and will cost 15 dollars more, I think many fans would say no we don't care about FCS so please keep it the same.

If every FCS school's fans would buy the mag then they would not lose money but as you can see this has been up for about a day and only has a little over 1200 retweets out of over 82,000 followers. That is a very small percentage of readers who are on Twitter, let alone the many people who see the mag in stores and buy it but don't even use Twitter.

Back to the issue you are stating. I think the plans and marketing, as well as the selling of magazines to different campuses needs to begin now.

Everyone needs to have their campus bookstore call the Phil Steele office and express their interest to carry it! I hope they decide to do it next year!

I would also not buy a magazine with FBS stuff in it so there is probably even less reason to do that.

I pay for my Griz season tickets in about March or April and I don't think it would be a big ask for a mag publisher to want to see about what they were in for up front by asking to pre-order the FCS magazine. This is not like an FBS magazine. You need to work at things to be an FCS teams fan, it ain't handed to you at Walmart so it's most definitely niche & need to work within that parameter...with pre-orders you could see if it was even worth doing before doing it I'd think.

Catsfan90
July 6th, 2015, 10:25 PM

I hope he put this out on somewhere other than Twitter as well. As big as Twitter is, not everyone uses it. Especially people who may be older who would order the Magazine but don't really utilize social media so much.

I really like your idea about the pre-ordering. That way they can generate enough money before they print to ensure they are only printing enough to sell.

Another idea which may not be a bad idea would be to market this in conjunction with the FBS magazine as a way to see a preview of some of the unknown smaller school stars that may be seen during the NFL draft.

smallcollegefbfan
July 6th, 2015, 10:29 PM
I would also not buy a magazine with FBS stuff in it so there is probably even less reason to do that.

I pay for my Griz season tickets in about March or April and I don't think it would be a big ask for a mag publisher to want to see about what they were in for up front by asking to pre-order the FCS magazine. This is not like an FBS magazine. You need to work at things to be an FCS teams fan, it ain't handed to you at Walmart so it's most definitely niche & need to work within that parameter...with pre-orders you could see if it was even worth doing before doing it I'd think.

I want a magazine with everything because my duties with the NFL require me to look at every school and so it would help me but I understand where you are coming from. You want a FCS only mag and it must have your favorite team in there. I think most FCS fans feel that way.

It is certainly a much bigger project and takes more work. There is much less general interest in FCS. You must have 500-1000 purchased by each school's fans in FCS just to hit the number to keep the magazine going.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 6th, 2015, 10:44 PM
I want a magazine with everything because my duties with the NFL require me to look at every school and so it would help me but I understand where you are coming from. You want a FCS only mag and it must have your favorite team in there. I think most FCS fans feel that way.

It is certainly a much bigger project and takes more work. There is much less general interest in FCS. You must have 1-2 thousand purchased by each school's fans in FCS just to hit the number to keep the magazine going.

what? You need at least 130,000 sold? Holy christ maybe a quarter million? I don't know why it has to be that many as I know some people do much smaller circulation type stuff than that and get by but maybe it's different in that arena...seems lofty to me though. How many has he been selling in previous years?

smallcollegefbfan
July 6th, 2015, 11:31 PM
what? You need at least 130,000 sold? Holy christ maybe a quarter million? I don't know why it has to be that many as I know some people do much smaller circulation type stuff than that and get by but maybe it's different in that arena...seems lofty to me though. How many has he been selling in previous years?

Edited it to show the number for all schools. I was mainly thinking playoff eligible conferences need to sell 1000 or so per team. I would guess they would like to sell 50,000 copies to pay all expenses and make a little extra so they could put the profit towards printers fees for the next year.

I need to contact the people at Phil Steele and see how many they are wanting to sell to do it again. Maybe it is less but with all the costs I know they have I think 50,000 would be a minimum.

Sader87
July 6th, 2015, 11:33 PM
Meh....I like the level of FCS in theory...but it's a dying concept.....won't exist in 5-10 years.....

smallcollegefbfan
July 6th, 2015, 11:39 PM
Meh....I like the level of FCS in theory...but it's a dying concept.....won't exist in 5-10 years.....

Sadly, I think FCS will be the third official tier in 10 years or so. That's why many FCS teams who moved up wanted to because they knew they would be in the second tier just by going to CUSA, Sun Belt, etc.

There will be another shift for sure.

Sader87
July 6th, 2015, 11:46 PM
The thing is, it's a nice concept in theory...but nobody really cares (outside of a few markets....NDSU, Montana etc).....it will be interesting how it plays out in the next few years.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 6th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Hey sader, how bout you go start a thread not related to this one for your trolling?

Sader87
July 6th, 2015, 11:58 PM
I've said here many times....I would be very happy if Holy Cross played 11 games and then maybe a championship game against the Ivy winner....not trolling. The FCS level is a nice level but you have to admit, it has its limitations as it exists now. 5 playoff games?????

Catsfan90
July 7th, 2015, 12:08 AM
I've said here many times....I would be very happy if Holy Cross played 11 games and then maybe a championship game against the Ivy winner....not trolling. The FCS level is a nice level but you have to admit, it has its limitations as it exists now. 5 playoff games?????

Holy cross is one single team in the entire FCS landscape. What they and the Ivy League do is their own business. There are plenty of schools out there who love being in the FCS level, and really enjoy the playoffs. You cant base the entire field off of what your school does.

Sader87
July 7th, 2015, 12:20 AM
Holy cross is one single team in the entire FCS landscape. What they and the Ivy League do is their own business. There are plenty of schools out there who love being in the FCS level, and really enjoy the playoffs. You cant base the entire field off of what your school does.

Don't disagree.....point being, the PL winnah will more than often have to go to the CAA champ....not a bad thing, but it will make it tough for the PL champ to win....overall, just not worth the sturm and drang in going to the playoffs imo.....whatevs

FUBeAR
July 7th, 2015, 01:49 AM
Sadly, I think FCS will be the third official tier in 10 years or so. That's why many FCS teams who moved up wanted to because they knew they would be in the second tier just by going to CUSA, Sun Belt, etc.

...OR...most G5 schools could recognize that trying to maintain relevance 'against' the Semi-Pro P5 Teams is an impossible & fiscally foolish undertaking. And the NCAA could realize that requiring schools to play D1 football in order to play D1 in other sports is unsustainable for many schools and make rule changes that would force (or enable, depending upon your perspective) current FCS schools to step up to a more robust FCS+ set of criteria (far below the astronomical (actual) levels of the Semi-Pro P5 (FCS playoff participation would be requirement #1)) that would then include all but a few current G5 schools OR the FCS schools that don't want to 'step up' could move to a DIII model for football only.

Same 4 levels; sustainable criteria for all.

And the P5 can remain part of the NCAA and pay their players whatever they want, completely dropping the charade that P5 is amateur athletics played by student athletes. Their players could CHOOSE, if they like, to make education part of their contracts as they toil in the NFL Farm League, while providing alumni of the schools they represent (and the other 80-90% non-alums of their fan bases) with the ego-boosts they desire from supporting the semi-pro's who have agreed to wear their chosen school's colors for a few years.

...but what do I know? I am, after all, a BeAR of very little brain.

DFW HOYA
July 7th, 2015, 08:38 AM
I've said here many times....I would be very happy if Holy Cross played 11 games and then maybe a championship game against the Ivy winner....not trolling.

Any yet, by joining the playoff bandwagon, HC has basically told the Ivies it would aspire to playing BC and UConn in September as opposed to Dartmouth and Harvard. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the 6-1 PL vote sent a message that the PL-6 is moving to CAA-level play and not as Ivy schedule material.

clenz
July 7th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Oh Jesus ****...here's droopy dog doing his "The FCS sucks because my team isn't as good as they were 30 years ago so why bother" bull ****.

This thread is officially shot because he's exactly the same as FPC and NoDak but just on the FCS board not the poli board.

Esso
July 7th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Herbstreit just retweeted which will put some more eyes on Steele's original post

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2015, 10:15 AM
1,524 retweets this morning. If you tweeted it out yesterday undo it and then retweet again. I did it and it got a few more retweets from that.

I really want to see it hit 5,000 retweets. I think that would open eyes. Although, I really think there is no reason why it should not get over 10,000 retweets considering Phil Steele has over 82,000 followers.

clenz
July 7th, 2015, 10:46 AM
1,524 retweets this morning. If you tweeted it out yesterday undo it and then retweet again. I did it and it got a few more retweets from that.

I really want to see it hit 5,000 retweets. I think that would open eyes. Although, I really think there is no reason why it should not get over 10,000 retweets considering Phil Steele has over 82,000 followers.
There are a lot of people that simply won't retweet it.

I almost never retweet **** like that. I made an exception for this.

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2015, 10:48 AM
There are a lot of people that simply won't retweet it.

I almost never retweet **** like that. I made an exception for this.

Very true but I think those who truly want it will. Like you said, you never do but you retweeted this. People should make exception for this. Phil Steele has the best FBS preview so I don't see why anyone who likes FCS would not want him to do it. We have never had a reliable FCS preview done before him. There were others who attempted it but nobody who put together the quality he did. Hopefully he gets the interest needed to do it again.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 7th, 2015, 11:22 AM
I'm a former purchaser of the Steele FCS Preview and I don't do Twitter. Not joining Twitter for this one thing so please express that there are other people interested.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 7th, 2015, 11:26 AM

Thanks brother, I didn't even realize you could do that...xlolx

Except, this sort of goes against what I was saying yesterday, or more proves my point on this sort of marketing/data gathering cuz now we're skewing the results.

Hey, does Rolf still work there?

administrator
July 7th, 2015, 11:30 AM
I'm a former purchaser of the Steele FCS Preview and I don't do Twitter. Not joining Twitter for this one thing so please express that there are other people interested.I put your post in a tweet to them. Done.

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Thanks brother, I didn't even realize you could do that...xlolx

Except, this sort of goes against what I was saying yesterday, or more proves my point on this sort of marketing/data gathering cuz now we're skewing the results.

Hey, does Rolf still work there?

It doesn't skew results. When you untweet it then the number drops one. I retweet and then undo and retweet again to make sure that some who may have missed it before see it when I retweet again. So the number would drop from 1,485 to 1,484 and back to 1,485 but would be in the timeline again so maybe a few who missed it before but would retweet it would now see it again.

Yes, Rolf is still there. He was listed in the magazine credits.

Bisonator
July 7th, 2015, 11:51 AM
I don't twitter or tweet or whatever the **** it is but I would buy the mag.:D

clenz
July 7th, 2015, 12:01 PM
I still have my 2010...or 11...mag with Rennie on the cover

ursus arctos horribilis
July 7th, 2015, 12:02 PM
It doesn't skew results. When you untweet it then the number drops one. I retweet and then undo and retweet again to make sure that some who may have missed it before see it when I retweet again. So the number would drop from 1,485 to 1,484 and back to 1,485 but would be in the timeline again so maybe a few who missed it before but would retweet it would now see it again.

Yes, Rolf is still there. He was listed in the magazine credits.

On the retweet, thanks for the info., get it now.

On Rolf, what credits? The last magazine? I know he was there then but that was two years ago and he is the guy I worked with on some promotion here so was wondering if still there now cuz my information was a couple years old.

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2015, 12:06 PM
On the retweet, thanks for the info., get it now.

On Rolf, what credits? The last magazine? I know he was there then but that was two years ago and he is the guy I worked with on some promotion here so was wondering if still there now cuz my information was a couple years old.

If you buy the FBS magazine you would see his name listed in there. The staff has changed a good bit but he remains.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 7th, 2015, 12:09 PM
breakthrough post.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 7th, 2015, 12:11 PM
If you buy the FBS magazine you would see his name listed in there. The staff has changed a good bit but he remains.

xlolx

Gotcha, but I was pretty clear, I don't buy it my man but get what you are saying now.

Catsfan90
July 7th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Oh Jesus ****...here's droopy dog doing his "The FCS sucks because my team isn't as good as they were 30 years ago so why bother" bull ****.

This thread is officially shot because he's exactly the same as FPC and NoDak but just on the FCS board not the poli board.
Couldn't agree more. I thought the point of sports was to realize shortcomings, Improve, and be competitive! Not be woe is me and live in the past.

smallcollegefbfan
July 7th, 2015, 02:57 PM
xlolx

Gotcha, but I was pretty clear, I don't buy it my man but get what you are saying now.

Oh break down and go get it! LOL. I know what you meant though. I don't buy it either but I have a copy. Phil is nice enough to hook up the NFL and major media outlets! If I was not what I am I would definitely buy both the FBS and FCS mags though.

APaladindad
July 7th, 2015, 05:30 PM
I'm a former purchaser of the Steele FCS Preview and I don't do Twitter. Not joining Twitter for this one thing so please express that there are other people interested.
I bought the magazine for many years till he shut it down. I will buy again now on a pre-order if that helps. I will go to the door or window and try to tweet like a bird if that helps? I don't know if the birds will answer with a re-tweet. I can do facebook and email and chat rooms but don't do twitter!
I love FCS and Phil Steele!

smallcollegefbfan
July 9th, 2015, 04:14 PM
It has 1,951 retweets now.

mmiller_34
July 16th, 2015, 09:37 PM
Any heard any new news on this?

Catsfan90
July 16th, 2015, 09:46 PM
Like maybe 2,000 re-tweets tops? I'm gunna say its not gunna happen.

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2015, 09:49 PM

Nothing right now. I think he is probably looking for more retweets. He has 2,035 as of this posting.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 16th, 2015, 09:51 PM
Nothing right now. I think he is probably looking for more retweets. He has 2,035 as of this posting.

Yeah, it might get 10% more at this point so I'd say it's a no go if he's looking for more than that, which I believe you said he was looking for a lot more than that.

smallcollegefbfan
July 16th, 2015, 10:08 PM
Yeah, it might get 10% more at this point so I'd say it's a no go if he's looking for more than that, which I believe you said he was looking for a lot more than that.

I was never given a specific number but I was told he wanted a few thousand. I'm disappointed it only got what it did. Hopefully some more folks undo the retweet and retweet it again.

This goes to show why magazines give FCS very little attention because FCS is such a small percentage of college football fans or most FCS fans do not care. I hate to see this because I was really hoping after seeing a magazine before and how awful FCS coverage is online from these mom and pop websites that people would push for a known commodity like Phil Steele to do one but it looks like we will be short.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 17th, 2015, 12:10 AM
I was never given a specific number but I was told he wanted a few thousand. I'm disappointed it only got what it did. Hopefully some more folks undo the retweet and retweet it again.

This goes to show why magazines give FCS very little attention because FCS is such a small percentage of college football fans or most FCS fans do not care. I hate to see this because I was really hoping after seeing a magazine before and how awful FCS coverage is online from these mom and pop websites that people would push for a known commodity like Phil Steele to do one but it looks like we will be short.

Yes, it was/is still a well done production but hey it needs to be attacked differently than the FBS magazines. It just ain't the same thing and can't be done that way it would appear.

You never know, this should maybe be done by a smaller group if at all...as you mentioned. FCS ain't for the casual fan, and the smaller group is more active in general because we have to be so maybe some of us should do it on a smaller scale.

bkrownd
July 17th, 2015, 01:56 AM
Back in the early 1990's when I was a college football junkie The Sporting News college football preview issue used to have a page or two on each I-AA conference, and it was always my first preview issue purchase. Great memories...

smallcollegefbfan
July 17th, 2015, 08:40 AM
Back in the early 1990's when I was a college football junkie The Sporting News college football preview issue used to have a page or two on each I-AA conference, and it was always my first preview issue purchase. Great memories...

I remember that. Sadly, those days are gone unless Phil Steele decides to put out something. Two things that everyone wants to do but have no clue how hard it is to make money are a preseason magazine and an all-star game. It's almost impossible to jump start either one today and make any money. In fact, none of the college all-star games make any money except the Senior Bowl does bring in a little revenue.

Catsfan90
July 17th, 2015, 09:36 AM
An interesting thing to take I to account as well though is how few people really use Twitter. I myself only have it in order to follow sports writers, teams, or players. I feel as this is because I'm a hardcore fan though.

It's just two bad he's relying on twitter to gauge the interest on this.

http://www.pewinternet.org/2013/12/30/social-media-update-2013/

smallcollegefbfan
July 17th, 2015, 09:39 AM
An interesting thing to take I to account as well though is how few people really use Twitter. I myself only have it in order to follow sports writers, teams, or players. I feel as this is because I'm a hardcore fan though.

It's just two bad he's relying on twitter to gauge the interest on this.

http://www.pewinternet.org/2013/12/30/social-media-update-2013/

I don't think he is solely relying on Twitter. I'm sure if you email and call your interest in he will take that into account. With today's social media age though about 75% of those who would purchase something like this are likely to have a Twitter account because most hardcore football fans under 50 use it to follow writers, players, coaches, and schools. I hope those of you who don't have Twitter are emailing and calling in!

It is up to 2,072 retweets now.

Catsfan90
July 17th, 2015, 09:48 AM
I wonder if he's looked Into doing a digital magazine? They are growing very popular and way cheaper because you don't need to physically produce paper copies.

smallcollegefbfan
July 17th, 2015, 09:54 AM
I wonder if he's looked Into doing a digital magazine? They are growing very popular and way cheaper because you don't need to physically produce paper copies.

I don't know. That is a good question. He puts his FBS magazine in an App that you can download on your phone or tablet. I think doing one for FCS like that would be a good idea.

813Jag
July 17th, 2015, 10:48 AM
I retweeted from both my accounts

ursus arctos horribilis
July 17th, 2015, 11:43 AM

This is exactly what I would think should be done to start other than maybe doing a preorder to gauge "the number" on this. If you did a PDF and checked how many downloads you had it would give you a good idea for the next year and making a PDF is not expensive.

I floated these ideas a couple years back but don't think it took.

caribbeanhen
July 17th, 2015, 12:08 PM
I tweeted but know full well FCS is on life support. no way in Fargo this gets printed

ursus arctos horribilis
July 17th, 2015, 12:10 PM
I tweeted but know full well FCS is on life support. no way in Fargo this gets printed

You seem like a decent guy hen but the need to be an asshole so much just baffles me? Anyway, glad you did it.

dewey
July 17th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Has anyone posted this on Bisonville and Egriz? There is a lot of traffic at those sites and that may help the cuase.

Dewey

smallcollegefbfan
July 17th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Has anyone posted this on Bisonville and Egriz? There is a lot of traffic at those sites and that may help the cuase.

Dewey

I did not but hopefully fans of every school are posting on their school message boards. If Phil Steele can't get 5,000 plus retweets from his original tweet and from every school putting it in their message board then we are in bad shape. All I know is that he is looking for interest and he is dead serious. He wants to get back into doing FCS and I know it would be good for FCS!

As of this post he is at 2,077 retweets.

smallcollegefbfan
July 18th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I have heard the rumor that they are working to put something together online for this year as a test. I just hope it is not too late in the process to get any interest.

dewey
July 18th, 2015, 02:43 PM
I did not but hopefully fans of every school are posting on their school message boards. If Phil Steele can't get 5,000 plus retweets from his original tweet and from every school putting it in their message board then we are in bad shape. All I know is that he is looking for interest and he is dead serious. He wants to get back into doing FCS and I know it would be good for FCS!

As of this post he is at 2,077 retweets.

I have not seen this posted on Bisonville.

Dewey

ursus arctos horribilis
July 18th, 2015, 04:49 PM
I have not seen this posted on Bisonville.

Dewey

This is a really big problem with AGS anymore, I don't really know why either but there is an apathy to put forth an effort in about everything even taking information from here and distributing to home boards...or vice versa.

lionsrking2
July 18th, 2015, 05:05 PM
I think one of the issues with apathy over a Preview Magazine is in the age of internet, smart phone, Twitter, Facebook, etc., information is old within hours (sometimes minutes) and most fans are looking for the most up to date info they can get. In the old days, we all looked forward to the magazines because that was all we had. There were no official websites with updated rosters, stats, and stories nor were there message boards where fans could interact. I would think most "ole timers" would be interested because that's what we grew up on, but a lot of the younger generation could care less I'm afraid.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 18th, 2015, 05:46 PM
I think one of the issues with apathy over a Preview Magazine is in the age of internet, smart phone, Twitter, Facebook, etc., information is old within hours (sometimes minutes) and most fans are looking for the most up to date info they can get. In the old days, we all looked forward to the magazines because that was all we had. There were no official websites with updated rosters, stats, and stories nor were there message boards where fans could interact. I would think most "ole timers" would be interested because that's what we grew up on, but a lot of the younger generation could care less I'm afraid.

What you say is true but it wasn't specifically waht I was pointing to. General apathy in even voting in polls on the site, taking infomation (any) that is interesting to all back to home boards, etc., etc. Whatever the reason is, it is a general disconnection and it could be because more are using phones and they give a very truncated version of things.

smallcollegefbfan
July 18th, 2015, 07:17 PM
What you say is true but it wasn't specifically waht I was pointing to. General apathy in even voting in polls on the site, taking information (any) that is interesting to all back to home boards, etc., etc. Whatever the reason is, it is a general disconnection and it could be because more are using phones and they give a very truncated version of things.

Most FCS fans just do not care. That is just how things are. College football magazines with FBS info pretty much sell out. For every 20 fans on here who do care there are about 1000 at each FCS stadium who don't really care. Look at teams who average about 5,000 fans per home game and I bet less than 30 of them are active on message boards. A very small population of those who attend FCS games are like you and I and I'm not even in the stands when I attend a FCS game but in the press box. When I was at a Delaware game last year I walked up to the press box and kept thinking man look at all these fans and I bet less than 200 of them are active on the message boards. There are a lot of casual fans who just don't care that much to put in effort on a message board.

lionsrking2
July 18th, 2015, 07:48 PM
Most FCS fans just do not care. That is just how things are. College football magazines with FBS info pretty much sell out. For every 20 fans on here who do care there are about 1000 at each FCS stadium who don't really care. Look at teams who average about 5,000 fans per home game and I bet less than 30 of them are active on message boards. A very small population of those who attend FCS games are like you and I and I'm not even in the stands when I attend a FCS game but in the press box. When I was at a Delaware game last year I walked up to the press box and kept thinking man look at all these fans and I bet less than 200 of them are active on the message boards. There are a lot of casual fans who just don't care that much to put in effort on a message board.

For that matter, most FBS fans don't care either when you're talking percentage basis. The reason Phil Steele can make money on an FBS mag is because he's dealing on a much larger scale and all he needs is a certain raw number of sales to make it worth while, plus whatever advertising he can sell. Most don't care but enough do to make it worth his while.

smallcollegefbfan
July 18th, 2015, 07:57 PM
For that matter, most FBS fans don't care either when you're talking percentage basis. The reason Phil Steele can make money on an FBS mag is because he's dealing on a much larger scale and all he needs is a certain raw number of sales to make it worth while, plus whatever advertising he can sell. Most don't care but enough do to make it worth his while.

Yes there are so many that even if just 10-15% care then you have enough to buy in. FCS doesn't have that many. Although everyone I know who follows a FBS team near me is a big enough fan they buy 1 or 2 magazines. Phil Steele has become the most popular one by far from my friends who are college football fans.

caribbeanhen
July 18th, 2015, 11:25 PM
When I was at a Delaware game last year I walked up to the press box and kept thinking man look at all these fans and I bet less than 200 of them are active on the message boards.

You were really at a Delaware game and saw alot of fans? must of been the Nova game...

smallcollegefbfan
July 19th, 2015, 12:03 AM
You were really at a Delaware game and saw alot of fans? must of been the Nova game...

It was Elon and while it was not a huge crowd, it was better than the crowds I saw at any D2 game and most other FCS games I went to. I know it was a light crowd for what you are use to but I know that less than 1/4 of those fans are even active on the message boards. My point is that when I go to games I know that most of them are just casual fans. I see a lot of females at games on my way into the stadiums but I bet there are less than 30 very active fans on AGS.

What is a light crow to you would break records for many FCS schools lol.

caribbeanhen
July 19th, 2015, 12:23 AM
It was Elon and while it was not a huge crowd, it was better than the crowds I saw at any D2 game and most other FCS games I went to. I know it was a light crowd for what you are use to but I know that less than 1/4 of those fans are even active on the message boards. My point is that when I go to games I know that most of them are just casual fans. I see a lot of females at games on my way into the stadiums but I bet there are less than 30 very active fans on AGS.

What is a light crow to you would break records for many FCS schools lol.

Yea I hear you and agree about the casual fans, I don't think the Delaware message board has over 100 people that post regularly

Esso
July 22nd, 2015, 01:19 PM
BOOM

It's back fellas

https://instagram.com/p/5crORcp2E_/

smallcollegefbfan
July 22nd, 2015, 01:21 PM
BOOM

It's back fellas

https://instagram.com/p/5crORcp2E_/

Looks like the rumor I heard is true. They want to give it a try since apparently many many people emailed them. Looked like they had a couple thousand people email about it.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2015, 01:25 PM
Very cool news.

813Jag
July 22nd, 2015, 02:42 PM
Thats great. I have a weird obsession with preview mags. I'll read them at anytime, no matter how old they are.

clenz
July 22nd, 2015, 03:10 PM
Will be purchasing at least 1...

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2015, 03:13 PM
Will be purchasing at least 1...

Same here. I imagine it will be more than one but I'm in on at least that.

smallcollegefbfan
July 22nd, 2015, 05:14 PM
Same here. I imagine it will be more than one but I'm in on at least that.

From what I'm hearing is that their team previews will basically be the size of their team write-ups on the conference pages so a large paragraph or two and it will be on their App. There won't be any hard copies. They will lose their tail on hard copies so they are going with the App version of it to see the interest. Hopefully everyone who retweeted will buy it!

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2015, 05:39 PM
From what I'm hearing is that their team previews will basically be the size of their team write-ups on the conference pages so a large paragraph or two and it will be on their App. There won't be any hard copies. They will lose their tail on hard copies so they are going with the App version of it to see the interest. Hopefully everyone who retweeted will buy it!

Well, I don't know for sure what the App version is but I don't really use my phone like my computer so if it's pdf or something that I can grab on the laptop (I assume it is) then I'm all good.

FUBeAR
July 22nd, 2015, 06:29 PM

I 'did' the App version of the FBS model a couple of years back and it works well. Honestly, it's a little difficult to move through ALL of that data sometimes when you are on the team pages and using an iPhone, but navigation was straightforward & easy and I liked it. I'll definitely buy this FCS version.

Though....When I bought last time, I did notice a few strange charges later to my CC - HappyEnding Massage & Dungeons-R-Us...stuff like that, but I think SmallCollegeFBFan was working for Phil Steele at the time, so that problem probably 'went away.' (JUST KIDDING - EVERYTHING WAS GREAT - NO FUNNY BUSINESS AT ALL!!!) SUPPORT THE FCS & BUY IT TODAY!!! (or as soon as it's available)

RichH2
July 22nd, 2015, 06:44 PM
I'm in for at least one.

Catsfan90
July 22nd, 2015, 07:15 PM
I am looking at buying a tablet anyway so now I have even more of an excuse!

smallcollegefbfan
July 22nd, 2015, 08:05 PM
I 'did' the App version of the FBS model a couple of years back and it works well. Honestly, it's a little difficult to move through ALL of that data sometimes when you are on the team pages and using an iPhone, but navigation was straightforward & easy and I liked it. I'll definitely buy this FCS version.

Though....When I bought last time, I did notice a few strange charges later to my CC - HappyEnding Massage & Dungeons-R-Us...stuff like that, but I think SmallCollegeFBFan was working for Phil Steele at the time, so that problem probably 'went away.' (JUST KIDDING - EVERYTHING WAS GREAT - NO FUNNY BUSINESS AT ALL!!!) SUPPORT THE FCS & BUY IT TODAY!!! (or as soon as it's available)

Well yeah of course. I didn't think you noticed but obviously I am in with Phil and am using your cards for that LOL. You caught me! HAHA... JUST KIDDING!

smallcollegefbfan
July 22nd, 2015, 08:07 PM
I am looking at buying a tablet anyway so now I have even more of an excuse!

Get an iPad for a Surface Pro version for sure. They are both great and the App does work well on it!

Catsfan90
July 22nd, 2015, 09:04 PM
Get an iPad for a Surface Pro version for sure. They are both great and the App does work well on it!
I'm definitely looking at the surface!

smallcollegefbfan
July 22nd, 2015, 09:12 PM

I have the latest iPad and I love it but you honestly can't go wrong with either one.

PantherRob82
July 22nd, 2015, 09:25 PM

Make sure the Surface is a pro. We got the RT super cheap and it works pretty well but is extremely limited.

Catsfan90
July 22nd, 2015, 09:42 PM
Make sure the Surface is a pro. We got the RT super cheap and it works pretty well but is extremely limited.
Yah I hear the pro is the way to go. I got a really basic desktop and its extremely slow based off of the low storage space.

SDFS
July 22nd, 2015, 11:03 PM
My company has started converting to the surface pro 3 for employees. I have one with a docking station. I like it and I am surprised by how much I like the one note program and pen. Great for meetings and organizing information.

And yes, I am going to get one of the preview mags..

Esso
July 24th, 2015, 11:31 PM
FYI there will be a magazine out soon but it will not be in print. It will be digital. It is going to be available through Dave Bartoo's site CFBMatrix.com

Dave does FBS digital conference magazines which are solid. He and Phil have partnered as Steele is guy with the FCS magazine and Dave is a guy who can get digital content out very smoothly.

The magazine will be $9.99 and can be pre-ordered through the link below. I appreciate all those who re-tweeted and pushed Phil to find some way to get us the FCS information in one concise source. It says on his site that if enough folks buy, he would likely put out a print magazine in 2016.

http://cfbmatrix.com/phil-steele-publications/

FUBeAR
July 25th, 2015, 01:35 AM
FYI there will be a magazine out soon but it will not be in print. It will be digital. It is going to be available through Dave Bartoo's site CFBMatrix.com

Dave does FBS digital conference magazines which are solid. He and Phil have partnered as Steele is guy with the FCS magazine and Dave is a guy who can get digital content out very smoothly.

The magazine will be $9.99 and can be pre-ordered through the link below. I appreciate all those who re-tweeted and pushed Phil to find some way to get us the FCS information in one concise source. It says on his site that if enough folks buy, he would likely put out a print magazine in 2016.

Just pre-ordered. Below is a link to a Tweet that those of you in the TwitterVerse may want to ReTweet to continue to drive the FCS LOVE...

https://twitter.com/CFBMatrix/status/624704659609948160

BTW - I didn't see a Tweet about this on @PhilSteele042. Think any of you 'insiders' could make that happen?

Also - here's a link to Phil Steele's Blog about it - http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JULY15/DBJuly24.html - I tweeted that out too...

Catatonic
July 25th, 2015, 07:04 AM
Just pre-ordered. Below is a link to a Tweet that those of you in the TwitterVerse may want to ReTweet to continue to drive the FCS LOVE...

https://twitter.com/CFBMatrix/status/624704659609948160

BTW - I didn't see a Tweet about this on @PhilSteele042. Think any of you 'insiders' could make that happen?

Also - here's a link to Phil Steele's Blog about it - http://www.philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/JULY15/DBJuly24.html - I tweeted that out too...

I tried to preorder but was unable to complete the transaction. When I tried to confirm my purchase, the icon just kept spinning until it timed out. I used my Chrome from my MacAir.

Catsfan90
July 25th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Just pre ordered mine. I really appreciate what he's trying to do for the FCS brand. It's rare that you see big names like him coming out and supporting it.

smallcollegefbfan
July 25th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Just pre ordered mine. I really appreciate what he's trying to do for the FCS brand. It's rare that you see big names like him coming out and supporting it.

I do as well. Hopefully he will sell enough digital copies this year to do a full print magazine next year. I'm afraid he won't but I do think he will sell enough digital copies to do the digital again next year at least.

Catsfan90
July 25th, 2015, 08:08 PM
I do as well. Hopefully he will sell enough digital copies this year to do a full print magazine next year. I'm afraid he won't but I do think he will sell enough digital copies to do the digital again next year at least.
I agree. I will be happy with the digital for a few years until he can garner enough support for the print.

clenz
July 26th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Who needs print? Online is freaking perfect

Catsfan90
July 26th, 2015, 03:42 PM
Who needs print? Online is freaking perfect

I almost said that online magazine is the future.......but honestly, its the present! With online things can be updated instantly, and you don't have to wait for the magazine in the mail. If your the type of person that needs a physical copy of it. Just go to Kinkos and print it out.

The Yo Show
July 26th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Phil Steele is taking preorders for the magazine right now. Looks like he is bringing back the magazine. Im going to buy. Figure the support will convince him its worth it to do it.

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 26th, 2015, 08:51 PM
Phil Steele is taking preorders for the magazine right now. Looks like he is bringing back the magazine. Im going to buy. Figure the support will convince him its worth it to do it.
Repeated thread.

smallcollegefbfan
July 26th, 2015, 09:39 PM
It's not a magazine. It's an online preview. When you say magazine I think people will assume hard copy and it will not be a hard copy this year. Hopefully it sells enough to have a hard copy next year though!

AmsterBison
July 27th, 2015, 05:42 PM
Well, when I try to order the thing it goes in these steps:

1. Enter all my information
2. Hit proceed to check out (Paypal) and the little wheel spins forever
3. Try again, says I've already got an account and I should log in using it
4. Log in with the user name/password that I entered in step 1
5. It says "Your account is not active. To activate your account please complete the subscription payment."
6. Click on subscription payment and it shows membership options.

I don't want a membership that charges me $x per month, I want the FCS publication. So I'm getting nowhere.

Linky: http://cfbmatrix.com/phil-steele-publications/

Anybody have any luck with this?

ursus arctos horribilis
July 27th, 2015, 06:34 PM
I am going to merge this with the other thread on this.

Catatonic
August 11th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Phil Steele's blog said the magazine was due out yesterday. I have not received any notification to access the magazine. Wondering if other have received theirs or if he's just running a little late?

Professor Chaos
August 11th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Phil Steele's blog said the magazine was due out yesterday. I have not received any notification to access the magazine. Wondering if other have received theirs or if he's just running a little late?
I pre-ordered from CFB Matrix but no notification that it's out yet for me either. But guessing it's not out yet since it's only available for pre-order still at http://cfbmatrix.com/phil-steele-publications/.

smallcollegefbfan
August 11th, 2015, 01:08 PM
I had not talked directly to Phil but knew he was looking for more. Yes, AGS loves FCS but less than 5% of the football world cares about anything outside of FBS and about 85% of the football world only cares about the P5 schools. Hopefully more people spread the word and we get a lot of sales of this or else I don't see Phil even taking the time to do an online edition next year.

http://philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/AUG15/DBAug11.html

OK, FCS fans- it is your time to step up to the plate! In May I put out a tweet asking about the interest in an FCS football magazine and I received some impassioned pleas from FCS fans on Twitter. I am able to monitor my Twitter activity and this tweet was viewed by 342,608 people, retweeted 2,127 times and favorited 556 times as of today. I was hoping for more people to take the extra few seconds to retweet it (2K out of 343K) but those were the results.
My first thought was that if only 2,127 retweeted it, which costs nothing, then how many would actually spend $9.99 to BUY the magazine? Given these results, I don’t think there is a magazine publisher in the world that would decide to spend the dollars that you have to spend to produce a quality magazine for the FCS. Luckily I think out of the box. I LOVE football as you know and I enjoy watching the FCS, as well as the FBS. For those not familiar with the term FCS, it is what was known as Division 1-AA football.

smallcollegefbfan
August 11th, 2015, 01:09 PM

I was told it is suppose to come out today.

Catatonic
August 11th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Thanks, guys. I'm just a little antsy!

RootinFerDukes
August 11th, 2015, 06:54 PM
I was also wondering why i never received an email today or yesterday saying the magazine is available.

APaladindad
August 11th, 2015, 11:36 PM
I had not talked directly to Phil but knew he was looking for more. Yes, AGS loves FCS but less than 5% of the football world cares about anything outside of FBS and about 85% of the football world only cares about the P5 schools. Hopefully more people spread the word and we get a lot of sales of this or else I don't see Phil even taking the time to do an online edition next year.

http://philsteele.com/Blogs/2015/AUG15/DBAug11.html

OK, FCS fans- it is your time to step up to the plate! In May I put out a tweet asking about the interest in an FCS football magazine and I received some impassioned pleas from FCS fans on Twitter. I am able to monitor my Twitter activity and this tweet was viewed by 342,608 people, retweeted 2,127 times and favorited 556 times as of today. I was hoping for more people to take the extra few seconds to retweet it (2K out of 343K) but those were the results.
My first thought was that if only 2,127 retweeted it, which costs nothing, then how many would actually spend $9.99 to BUY the magazine? Given these results, I don’t think there is a magazine publisher in the world that would decide to spend the dollars that you have to spend to produce a quality magazine for the FCS. Luckily I think out of the box. I LOVE football as you know and I enjoy watching the FCS, as well as the FBS. For those not familiar with the term FCS, it is what was known as Division 1-AA football.

You got me fired up so I just bought two copies! thanks for pushing this!

smallcollegefbfan
August 12th, 2015, 09:34 AM
It is out now!

OldKat95
August 12th, 2015, 10:12 AM
Bought mine, went active this morning. Good stuff.

Catatonic
August 12th, 2015, 10:16 AM
What link are you guys using to access the magazine? I am using this url and all I see is the Pro Magazine and link to prepurchase the FCS magazine.

Catsfan90
August 12th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Anybody else who preordered not recieved an email yet?

Catatonic
August 12th, 2015, 10:30 AM

There are at least two of us. No email. Feels like we are being penalized by pre-ordering.

Catsfan90
August 12th, 2015, 10:33 AM
There are at least two of us. No email. Feels like we are being penalized by pre-ordering.

Yah my thoughts to. He emailed me back after I inquired and said that they were having some processing issues. I'm about to just reorder it anyways. The whole preorder was sort of silly anyways because its not like there was a specific number of magazines to be sold.

bri-dog
August 12th, 2015, 10:46 AM

Yes....

OldKat95
August 12th, 2015, 10:46 AM
http://cfbmatrix.com/digital-library/

Catsfan90
August 12th, 2015, 10:48 AM
[email protected] for anyone who is having issues! he was extrmely friendly.

OldKat95
August 12th, 2015, 10:49 AM
Your email with the log-in info will be from a sender "Dave Bartoo". Username is the email you used when you bought it and they give you a number for the password. I got my email with the log-in info yesterday.

smallcollegefbfan
August 12th, 2015, 01:28 PM
I have been reading it this morning and it was pretty good. Hope they do a print mag with more in depth player information next year! He states that it depends on sales of this. I like a PDF but prefer something I can open up and take to school visits with me!

smallcollegefbfan
August 15th, 2015, 12:26 PM
Saw a tweet from Phil Steele saying he spent over 100,000 in printing and distributing costs and only sold about 800 copies of the FCS mag. No wonder he is only putting it online this year. There is clearly not enough interest from those who will pay, which is what I was afraid of all along. I love the style and brand of FCS but the fans just don't support it. We have great support here at AGS but we are only about 5% of the fans who show up to FCS games and total FCS fans make up about 3-5% of the total college football interest.

lionsrking2
August 15th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Saw a tweet from Phil Steele saying he spent over 100,000 in printing and distributing costs and only sold about 800 copies of the FCS mag. No wonder he is only putting it online this year. There is clearly not enough interest from those who will pay, which is what I was afraid of all along. I love the style and brand of FCS but the fans just don't support it. We have great support here at AGS but we are only about 5% of the fans who show up to FCS games and total FCS fans make up about 3-5% of the total college football interest.

Problem is the information is dated before it's ready for distribution and most people don't want to pay for old info or stuff they can find for free online. At least a printed version has a "collectable" aspect to it. Folks like us will buy it because we're FCS junkies but Phil would have to sell a minimum of 10k printed copies at $10 a piece, just to break even, or come close to it, and that's not likely to happen without a better marketing campaign and/or strategy - which would cost more money. An online version will cost him much less to produce but you still run into a lot of the same issues. I'm just glad he has the passion and willingness to take a chance on doing it.

RootinFerDukes
August 15th, 2015, 01:03 PM
Yeah I would be very surprised if he ever puts out a printed version again. It sucks but I understand why he can't financially justify printing a physical magazine and distributing it. His profit margin will be better with a digital version at $10 vs a print version at $13.
If you download the CFBMatrix App, you can still view it on your phone or tablet. I am just hoping they make enough in sales of the digital version to keep making that each season.

FUBeAR
August 15th, 2015, 01:15 PM
Reckon if he could partner with the 120+ FCS Schools to sell/distribute through their Parent's, Athletic Foundation, and Alumni channels for a piece of the revenue. Gotta be creative to sell into a niche market & gaining additional distribution points without incurring additional costs is 1 way to do that.

smallcollegefbfan
August 15th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Problem is the information is dated before it's ready for distribution and most people don't want to pay for old info or stuff they can find for free online. At least a printed version has a "collectable" aspect to it. Folks like us will buy it because we're FCS junkies but Phil would have to sell a minimum of 10k printed copies at $10 a piece, just to break even, or come close to it, and that's not likely to happen without a better marketing campaign and/or strategy - which would cost more money. An online version will cost him much less to produce but you still run into a lot of the same issues. I'm just glad he has the passion and willingness to take a chance on doing it.

That's why I think it would be smart for these companies to stop making magazines and sale the online version starting in May for say 6 bucks. Then they could put out an update each month for $1 extra through middle of August. Would be cheaper than a print mag and could have even more updated information. They could sale a collectible print version of the final mag in August for like 10 bucks but I would imagine most would just want the App outside of a couple thousand fans. FCS is just too small of a niche market to justify spending 100k on it. There will never been more than 2,000-3,000 copies sold.

smallcollegefbfan
August 15th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Reckon if he could partner with the 120+ FCS Schools to sell/distribute through their Parent's, Athletic Foundation, and Alumni channels for a piece of the revenue. Gotta be creative to sell into a niche market & gaining additional distribution points without incurring additional costs is 1 way to do that.

You would be surprised at the bookstores who want such a big cut of the magazine that it almost isn't worth doing it. Very few schools are willing to sale it for a very small percentage. I think they tried before and not as many schools as you think were willing to have it in their store.

Original_Siouxperfan
August 15th, 2015, 04:26 PM
I have been reading it this morning and it was pretty good. Hope they do a print mag with more in depth player information next year! He states that it depends on sales of this. I like a PDF but prefer something I can open up and take to school visits with me!

Is there actually a PDF of the magazine? As far as I am aware, access is only available while online through their library. I would like to be able to use my tablet to read in areas where there is no internet and also to avoid logging in time when I want to read over short periods.

smallcollegefbfan
August 15th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Is there actually a PDF of the magazine? As far as I am aware, access is only available while online through their library. I would like to be able to use my tablet to read in areas where there is no internet and also to avoid logging in time when I want to read over short periods.

I'm not sure if there is one available for the public or not. You would have to ask the Matrix guy or Steele himself.

RootinFerDukes
August 15th, 2015, 05:15 PM

There is a cfbmatrix app in the App Store. I'm assuming one for android too.
You download the item in the app. I'm not sure if it requires an Internet or cell phone signal to access. I haven't tried without either.

FUBeAR
August 15th, 2015, 06:25 PM
You would be surprised at the bookstores who want such a big cut of the magazine that it almost isn't worth doing it. Very few schools are willing to sale it for a very small percentage. I think they tried before and not as many schools as you think were willing to have it in their store.

Nah - not in the Campus Book Stores - those are KNOWN Rip-off joints! Thru the Athletic Support Org (The Banana Slug Backers, for example) and thru the Families of the Players Groups (a lot of schools have some structure, more of less, for these now), and thru the Alumni Association (Whatsamata U. Alumni Foundation)....direct pre-ordered distribution - not retail. Could include it as a part of a pre-season Hype Package they offer with Season Tix purchase...something like that...NOT Retail/NOT Bookstores

Original_Siouxperfan
August 16th, 2015, 07:20 PM
There is a cfbmatrix app in the App Store. I'm assuming one for android too.
You download the item in the app. I'm not sure if it requires an Internet or cell phone signal to access. I haven't tried without either.

Thank you for the recommendation. Unfortunately, I am not able to get the Android app to work. I'm not sure if it's the Android version I am using or my particular tablet. I've installed and uninstalled a number of times but the app either stops or is unable to download the content.

smallcollegefbfan
August 16th, 2015, 10:58 PM
Nah - not in the Campus Book Stores - those are KNOWN Rip-off joints! Thru the Athletic Support Org (The Banana Slug Backers, for example) and thru the Families of the Players Groups (a lot of schools have some structure, more of less, for these now), and thru the Alumni Association (Whatsamata U. Alumni Foundation)....direct pre-ordered distribution - not retail. Could include it as a part of a pre-season Hype Package they offer with Season Tix purchase...something like that...NOT Retail/NOT Bookstores

I don't think most schools would do that. I wish they would but I think Phil's best bet is to have it online in the App Store. That way there is a guarantee there is no loss. I just don't see 25,000 FCS magazines ever being sold. I could see 12-15k but I think he needs 25k-35k and I don't think there are enough hardcore FCS fans out there to reach those numbers.

Original_Siouxperfan
August 22nd, 2015, 11:12 PM
For anyone that's interested, I was able to print the magazine as a PDF. I clicked on the arrow at the top to print and then chose the pages to convert by printing to a PDF. By doing this, you're able to omit ad pages or create personalized versions (one conference only, top 25 only, etc.).

smallcollegefbfan
August 23rd, 2015, 09:56 AM
For anyone that's interested, I was able to print the magazine as a PDF. I clicked on the arrow at the top to print and then chose the pages to convert by printing to a PDF. By doing this, you're able to omit ad pages or create personalized versions (one conference only, top 25 only, etc.).

I had printed mine out a few days ago. I always have a copy of Phil Steele with me when I go on campus for film and game evals. I don't know how many other scouts use it but I definitely do. Smart move by you to print it! I try to have an electronic and hard copy with me.