PDA

View Full Version : Fourteen OOC Games For The SoCon Against FCS In 2015

SU DOG
July 4th, 2015, 12:53 PM
A chance for the SoCon to maybe gain some respect, as last year wasn't so great against OOC FCS opponents. I list only FCS schools that provide football scholarships. Interesting here also is that 10 of these games are at the SoCon home fields. I welcome any corrections of mistakes that I may have made on a lazy 4th of July Day. xcoffeex

How many games will our SoCon Teams win out of these 14? I think a surprising number because the league will be stronger this year than many think.

Furman - Coastal 9/5 H
SCSU 10/3 H

Mercer - APSU 9/5 A
Tenn Tech 9/19 A

Samford - UCA 9/3 H
FAMU 9/12 H

The Citadel - Charleston Southern 9/26 H

UTC - JSU 9/15 H
Presbyterian 9/26 A

VMI - Richmond 9/19 A
Bucknell 10/3 H

Western - Presbyterian 10/3 H

Wofford - Tenn Tech 9/12 H
Gardner Webb 9/26 H

BEAR
July 4th, 2015, 03:16 PM
If Samford is as good as I hear they are then they will beat UCA at home.

Next year in Conway may be something different though. xdrunkyx

SU DOG
July 4th, 2015, 04:54 PM
NO "sandbagging" allowed Bear. I know this will be a tough test for my Dogs against a very good program. I'd be glad to take a 1 point win right now. I know you guys have brought in some BIG, and I mean BIG, talented signees to go along with players like Taylor Reed, Jonathan Woodard, and others.

Off subject, but I wonder if you know that your former coach was once at Samford. I enjoyed meeting and talking with Clint Conque when he was here(for 3 years) with Terry Bowden. We had some terrific football back then.

Also it seems ironic that you guys have a young RB from Alabama - Dominic Thomas, Jacksonville HS, and we have signee RB Justin Curry, Northside HS, Fort Smith.

As for next year - I don't want to think about it just yet. We will definitely be in a rebuilding stage.

KPSUL
July 4th, 2015, 05:17 PM
How does 9 and 5 sound?

Furman - Coastal 9/5 H LOSS
SCSU 10/3 H WIN

Mercer - APSU 9/5 A WIN
Tenn Tech 9/19 A WIN

Samford - UCA 9/3 H WIN
FAMU 9/12 H WIN

The Citadel - Charleston Southern 9/26 H LOSS

UTC - JSU 9/15 H WIN
Presbyterian 9/26 A WIN

VMI - Richmond 9/19 A LOSS
Bucknell 10/3 H LOSS

Western - Presbyterian 10/3 H LOSS

Wofford - Tenn Tech 9/12 H WIN
Gardner Webb 9/26 H WIN

SU DOG
July 4th, 2015, 05:59 PM
Presby over a resurging Western Team at home? I wonder who will be the favorite between UTC and JSU? Furman also has high hopes of getting the Beach Hens this year. Overall, however, your 9-5 mark might be pretty close, and that wouldn't be bad at all.

KPSUL
July 4th, 2015, 07:25 PM
No conference has had to reset and reload more frequently than SoCon. I expect your conference to be significantly stronger than last season. I was very impressed with Chattanooga at UNH in the Quarterfinals last season. I think they are serious contenders to get to the FCS Championship in 2015.

PaladinFan
July 6th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Homer pick, of course, but I like Furman over SCSU and think they will have a pretty good shot to knock off Coastal.

OL FU
July 6th, 2015, 06:32 AM
The CCU game is certainly huge and important. They have owned the w-l record but I can' think of a game that hasn't been close.

The Cats
July 6th, 2015, 07:20 AM
How does 9 and 5 sound?

SCSU 10/3 H WIN

Mercer - APSU 9/5 A WIN
Tenn Tech 9/19 A WIN

Samford - UCA 9/3 H WIN
FAMU 9/12 H WIN

UTC - JSU 9/15 H WIN
Presbyterian 9/26 A WIN

Bucknell 10/3 H LOSS

Gardner Webb 9/26 H WIN

I don't see Presby coming to Cullowhee and picking up a win.

I think VMI also wins at home vs. Bucknell

PaladinFan
July 6th, 2015, 07:27 AM
The CCU game is certainly huge and important. They have owned the w-l record but I can' think of a game that hasn't been close.

There isn't one. 2006 CCU won on a botched extra point attempt (a Bobby Lamb special). 2007 Furman won a 10 point affair in Greenville. Series restarted in 2011 when CCU won a 7 point game in Conway scoring with a minute or so left in the game. 2012 was a two point CCU win in a deluge in Greenville wherein Mr. Hannon made his first collegiate appearance and nearly led the Paladins back. 2013 was a 7 point win for the heavily favored Chants in Conway. 2014 was another overtime game in Greenville where the Paladins went with PJ Blazejowski.

So, Furman is 1-5 against Coastal, and only one game has been decided by more than a score. The last three games Coastal has been the overwhelming favorite. The last two games in Greenville have gone to overtime.

Furman has struggled to stop CCU's offense, but the Chants (somewhat inexplicably) could not stop Furman's offense that struggles to score on pretty much everybody. I think like the Presbyterian/Furman series, if you give a team enough cracks at you, they will eventually beat you.

OL FU
July 6th, 2015, 12:18 PM
There isn't one. 2006 CCU won on a botched extra point attempt (a Bobby Lamb special). 2007 Furman won a 10 point affair in Greenville. Series restarted in 2011 when CCU won a 7 point game in Conway scoring with a minute or so left in the game. 2012 was a two point CCU win in a deluge in Greenville wherein Mr. Hannon made his first collegiate appearance and nearly led the Paladins back. 2013 was a 7 point win for the heavily favored Chants in Conway. 2014 was another overtime game in Greenville where the Paladins went with PJ Blazejowski.

So, Furman is 1-5 against Coastal, and only one game has been decided by more than a score. The last three games Coastal has been the overwhelming favorite. The last two games in Greenville have gone to overtime.

Furman has struggled to stop CCU's offense, but the Chants (somewhat inexplicably) could not stop Furman's offense that struggles to score on pretty much everybody. I think like the Presbyterian/Furman series, if you give a team enough cracks at you, they will eventually beat you.

I was at the first one in Conway. Been to the others in Gville but that was the only trip to Conway. Also, starting QB REnaldo Gray out with an injury early in the game. Sorrells did pretty well replacing him. The interesting thing was that was a jacked up CCU crowd for Furman. My how things have switched around some. Hopefully we will be equally as excited.

PaladinFan
July 6th, 2015, 01:28 PM
I was at the first one in Conway. Been to the others in Gville but that was the only trip to Conway. Also, starting QB REnaldo Gray out with an injury early in the game. Sorrells did pretty well replacing him. The interesting thing was that was a jacked up CCU crowd for Furman. My how things have switched around some. Hopefully we will be equally as excited.

If I recall, that CCU team also had something like 50 seniors include a couple of future NFL-ers (Jerome Simpson and Tyler Thigpen). That was a really big game for them.

OL FU
July 6th, 2015, 01:44 PM
If I recall, that CCU team also had something like 50 seniors include a couple of future NFL-ers (Jerome Simpson and Tyler Thigpen). That was a really big game for them.

They had a very good team. On the other hand ours wasn't bad either, coming off a stellar 2005 (of course without Ingle). We lost three regular season games that year. Barely beaten by UNC, CCU and whooped by ASU.xembarrassedx

AshevilleApp2
July 6th, 2015, 02:21 PM
They had a very good team. On the other hand ours wasn't bad either, coming off a stellar 2005 (of course without Ingle). We lost three regular season games that year. Barely beaten by UNC, CCU and whooped by ASU.xembarrassedx

We were pretty good then.

OL FU
July 6th, 2015, 02:44 PM
We were pretty good then.

23-18-3:p

AshevilleApp2
July 6th, 2015, 02:57 PM
23-18-3:p

xlolx

The only Southern Conference team to have a winning record against App. Hard to believe the record against USC-Myrtle Beach.

PaladinFan
July 6th, 2015, 10:34 PM
xlolx

The only Southern Conference team to have a winning record against App. Hard to believe the record against USC-Myrtle Beach.

What is more incredible to me is that despite App dominating the series in the 2000s, Furman still comfortably lead the all time series record. Kind of shows you how one sided the rivalry was for a long time.

AshevilleApp2
July 7th, 2015, 03:15 AM
What is more incredible to me is that despite App dominating the series in the 2000s, Furman still comfortably lead the all time series record. Kind of shows you how one sided the rivalry was for a long time.

Well we pretty much sucked until the mid-1980's , and y'all were one of the best programs in the country in the Sheridan/Satterfield eras. We had a lot of catching up to try and do.

Milktruck74
July 7th, 2015, 06:17 AM
Let's leave the past in the past......xsmiley_wix

AshevilleApp2
July 7th, 2015, 06:22 AM
Let's leave the past in the past......xsmiley_wix

Why do you still hate Marshall? xsmiley_wix

tenNesseeCat
July 7th, 2015, 07:50 AM
How does 9 and 5 sound?

SCSU 10/3 H WIN

Mercer - APSU 9/5 A WIN
Tenn Tech 9/19 A WIN

Samford - UCA 9/3 H WIN
FAMU 9/12 H WIN

UTC - JSU 9/15 H WIN
Presbyterian 9/26 A WIN

Bucknell 10/3 H LOSS

Gardner Webb 9/26 H WIN

I think The Citadel beats CSU in a squeaker. While Western roughs up Presby, in a home revenge scenario, as payback for what should have been an even better season last year.

Other games to keep an eye on would be VMI vs Bucknell, and Wofford vs GWU. Gee Dub has won the last two in the series.

The only for sure loss I see is VMI vs Richmond.

OL FU
July 7th, 2015, 08:23 AM
Why do you still hate Marshall? xsmiley_wix

I will stop hating them when they make a movie named "We Are Cheaters"!!!!

AshevilleApp2
July 7th, 2015, 01:30 PM
I will stop hating them when they make a movie named "We Are Cheaters"!!!!

xlolx

I'll post this and stay away, but you might like it.

"They Who Shall Not Be Mentioned" have scheduled a home and home with "We Who Showed Our Asses While Leaving" , in 2020-2021, or somewhere around those parts.

Fans of "They" are outraged because "They" scheduled an away game against an FCS team from the Southern Conference. xnodx

OL FU
July 7th, 2015, 02:15 PM
xlolx

I'll post this and stay away, but you might like it.

"They Who Shall Not Be Mentioned" have scheduled a home and home with "We Who Showed Our Asses While Leaving" , in 2020-2021, or somewhere around those parts.

Fans of "They" are outraged because "They" scheduled an away game against an FCS team from the Southern Conference. xnodx

I had forgotten the "They who shall not be mentioned" (although I think it was "They who shall not be named"xlolx). Still can't believe Coulson used my language in an article:)

I hope you kick their asses.