PDA

View Full Version : BR: 12 FBS Teams on Upset Alert vs. FCS Opponents in 2015

Nickels
July 3rd, 2015, 08:56 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2512813-12-fbs-teams-on-upset-alert-vs-fcs-opponents-in-2015

It took the FCS the entire 2014 season to match the same number of victories over FBS opponents it had in that wild first week of 2013. Highlights from 2014 included eventual four-time defending champion North Dakota State's throttling of Iowa State, Abilene Christian's shocker over a free-falling Troy program and Northwestern State's upset over bowl-winning Louisiana Tech.
This season, the FBS wised up as a whole and didn't schedule North Dakota State, but there are still a number of schools that could fall victim to the biggest species of upset bug this season.
Here are a dozen FBS programs on major upset alert against FCS opponents this season. This list was determined by the strength of both sides—with special help from Athlon Sports' FCS Preseason Top 25 (http://athlonsports.com/college-football/fcs-top-25-and-all-american-team-2015)—and their recent histories in FBS vs. FCS contests.
Some of the schools on this list are the usual suspects of struggling programs who will scrape for any win this season, but there are a few Power Five squads that could suffer huge blows at the hands of the smaller-division powers.

AshevilleApp2
July 3rd, 2015, 09:19 AM
I'd love to see all of them happen. Particularly Georgia State.

bonarae
July 3rd, 2015, 09:25 AM
I'd really love to see all of them happen... xcoffeex

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 3rd, 2015, 10:02 AM
They all seem reasonable outside of Youngstown State over Pitt. I know the Penguins beat them a few years ago but this season I don't see it.

BisonTru
July 3rd, 2015, 02:33 PM
I'd love to see all of them happen. Particularly Georgia State.

Should be interesting what the line is for that game. Last year Liberty would've been the favorite and I wouldn't be shocked if they are going into the game this year.

KPSUL
July 3rd, 2015, 06:00 PM
For several of these games like SHSU vs Texas Tech, Liberty at Georgia State, and JMU vs SMU, it should be the FCS team, not the FBS that is on "Upset Alert".

Nickels
July 3rd, 2015, 07:21 PM
For several of these games like SHSU vs Texas Tech, Liberty at Georgia State, and JMU vs SMU, it should be the FCS team, not the FBS that is on "Upset Alert".

My heart says SHSU will beat Tech but honestly I'm still 50/50. In the past couple of years when we played A&M (x2) & Baylor, we hung with em for a while (put a nice whoopin on Baylor for a half) until they went no huddle and wore us down with superior depth. Tech will try to do the same thing.

Kats are looking pretty damn strong at this point though. Off-season is super intense and they actually have one this year. Pretty much everyone but Kesahwn is back. Getting bigger in the trenches (if the Kats are ever going to get past the Bizon hurdle, this is what they have to do) One of, if not, the best K/P combo in the FCS. Morale is very high. A couple of transfers that could add to the mix. The list goes on. If SHSU is ever going to get a Big 12 scalp, this is the time. Especially considering that Tech is struggling right now.

TheRevSFA
July 3rd, 2015, 07:45 PM
I don't think Sam beats tech but I think it'll be competitive much like their past fbs games and unlike the CSU-pueblo game

centennial
July 3rd, 2015, 09:20 PM
My heart says SHSU will beat Tech but honestly I'm still 50/50. In the past couple of years when we played A&M (x2) & Baylor, we hung with em for a while (put a nice whoopin on Baylor for a half) until they went no huddle and wore us down with superior depth. Tech will try to do the same thing.

Kats are looking pretty damn strong at this point though. Off-season is super intense and they actually have one this year. Pretty much everyone but Kesahwn is back. Getting bigger in the trenches (if the Kats are ever going to get past the Bizon hurdle, this is what they have to do) One of, if not, the best K/P combo in the FCS. Morale is very high. A couple of transfers that could add to the mix. The list goes on. If SHSU is ever going to get a Big 12 scalp, this is the time. Especially considering that Tech is struggling right now.
I think the journey from embarrassing the FCS for losing to Pueblo to beating a Big 12 team would be a sweet story. I might not agree with how Keeler has done it but he does get results. Can't argue with results.

FormerPokeCenter
July 3rd, 2015, 09:50 PM
Any FCS team that loses to Georgia State should have to drop to Division III

Wait....make that NAIA..

Because Lambuth!

Sly Fox
July 4th, 2015, 10:42 AM
The GSU fans on the Sun Belt board have been laughing at the possibility that they could lose to lowly Liberty. They are convinced that 2015 is THE year when it all comes together under Miles. Atlanta is a big Liberty town and I'd love to see us have more fans in the dome than GSU on their homecoming as we make another statement to the league that keeps blowing us off.

FormerPokeCenter
July 4th, 2015, 11:44 AM
If the National Institute of Health's Mental Illness division doesn't have the SunBelt Message board bookmarked, they're guilty of gross dereliction of duty.

That place is - perhaps - the greatest assemblage of delusional minds in the history of mankind. It would be a crime, you hear me? A CRIME, to not study that and learn something from it...

You could write 100 doctoral dissertations by watching USL fans alone...

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 4th, 2015, 11:53 AM
If the National Institute of Health's Mental Illness division doesn't have the SunBelt Message board bookmarked, they're guilty of gross dereliction of duty.

That place is - perhaps - the greatest assemblage of delusional minds in the history of mankind. It would be a crime, you hear me? A CRIME, to not study that and learn something from it...

You could write 100 doctoral dissertations by watching USL fans alone...

Well what do you expect when you're the Pioneer League of FBS? Reality sucks so you might as well escape it....

FormerPokeCenter
July 4th, 2015, 11:54 AM
I'll go you one further. They HAVE to escape it. It's either that or have cognitive dissonance drive them to suicide....

FormerPokeCenter
July 4th, 2015, 11:59 AM
LOL...if you can get in, probably the most entertaining website, anywhere, is RaginPagin.com....and look for the Rage Page.

OH.MY.GOD.

Particularly after a loss. I laugh until I cry...

The things they seriously discuss. Like, will it be this year, or next, before the Big 12 comes calling. And, they're ****ING serious about it. They provide all sorts of detailed, insightful and well-thought out reasons for the inevitability of the big call coming...

They're convinced that they're the sleeping Giant and that the only thing holding them back is the legislative machinations of the LSU Cabal.

Nevermind that they're still getting skull drug by FCS teams and their three highest attended games, in the history of their conference and school are games with FCS opponents...

We play them again next year....

AshevilleApp2
July 4th, 2015, 12:19 PM
The GSU fans on the Sun Belt board have been laughing at the possibility that they could lose to lowly Liberty. They are convinced that 2015 is THE year when it all comes together under Miles. Atlanta is a big Liberty town and I'd love to see us have more fans in the dome than GSU on their homecoming as we make another statement to the league that keeps blowing us off.

48-55
44-0

You better beat them!

Catatonic
July 4th, 2015, 05:11 PM
Any FCS team that loses to Georgia State should have to drop to Division III

Wait....make that NAIA..

Because Lambuth!

In defense of our last minute loss/collapse against GA State last year:

1. ACU is still in transition. We lost because our D was still made up mostly of D2 recruits who could not hold a lead.

2. We knocked off FBS Troy to redeem ourselves. Sort of.

Please don't send us back to NAIA I rest my case.

Go...gate
July 4th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Well what do you expect when you're the Pioneer League of FBS? Reality sucks so you might as well escape it....

You nailed it!

FormerPokeCenter
July 4th, 2015, 08:24 PM
In defense of our last minute loss/collapse against GA State last year:

1. ACU is still in transition. We lost because our D was still made up mostly of D2 recruits who could not hold a lead.

2. We knocked off FBS Troy to redeem ourselves. Sort of.

Please don't send us back to NAIA I rest my case.

LOL, I was giving you guys a pass already! You're not at full strength on FCS scholly numbers yet, are you?

Catatonic
July 5th, 2015, 07:12 AM
LOL, I was giving you guys a pass already! You're not at full strength on FCS scholly numbers yet, are you?

nope. Won't be at full strength till 2017, the first year we are eligible for the FCS playoffs.

We are still playing a combination of D2 recruits and very young D1 guys. We are getting there, but it's a process.

ButlerGSU
August 6th, 2015, 12:09 PM

I would be surprised if Liberty did not beat GA State. I saw a little of the App State game last year and the team looked strong. Not sure if you lost any key players but you should still be able to exit the Dome with a win...be sure to bring plenty of fans, GA State doesn't have Georgia Southern visiting this year to help them meet minimum attendance xlolx

Catamount87
August 6th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Is there any FCS team that doesn't want to get GA State on the schedule?

tigonian02
August 6th, 2015, 01:30 PM

Maybe Rhode Island?

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe Rhode Island?

Kennesaw State this year? (This year only)

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 6th, 2015, 01:36 PM

At the same time, what's really the appeal of playing Georgia State? The payout will be modest, the environment terrible and it's a plane trip (granted easy airport to access) for a lot of teams. Eastern Michigan is the same thing imo. Neither one seems like an interesting FBS opponent for Lehigh.....

IBleedYellow
August 6th, 2015, 02:45 PM

We have no reason to play Georgia State, unless they would pay us a ****ton of money.

Rooms
August 6th, 2015, 07:27 PM
I think Southeastern has a really good shot at picking up a W over Ohio University. They are eager to prove themselves and that would be the best way to do it. We also are on quite the drought for wins over the FBS so we're due. Hopefully it doesn't just roll out like the Tulane game last year...

Ill also donate $5 to Mcneese if they beat LSU.... I probably won't if you do but that would be pretty sweet.

Go Lehigh TU owl
August 6th, 2015, 09:09 PM
I think Southeastern has a really good shot at picking up a W over Ohio University. They are eager to prove themselves and that would be the best way to do it. We also are on quite the drought for wins over the FBS so we're due. Hopefully it doesn't just roll out like the Tulane game last year...

Ill also donate $5 to Mcneese if they beat LSU.... I probably won't if you do but that would be pretty sweet.

SELA looked terrible against Tulane last year. Ohio, imo, will be a stronger opponent relative to the Green Wave. Solich is a very solid coach so the Bobcats are always well prepared. Plus, Athens is not an easy place to play.

knucklehead
August 6th, 2015, 09:42 PM
Liberty's offense has a chance to be the best we have ever had. We did lose a little on the o line, but the depth is good. The Weapons are so good that LU will put up points in buckets. 2 1000 yard rushers, All American receiver, amazing and way underrated QB, and many more.

The D lost quite a bit. The depth on the line and the LB corps is going to be just fine. The question is the defensive backfield. The Flames lost a lot and the starters will be pretty young over all. Most got quite a bit of time last year and grew. It will be interesting to see how they do.

Special teams should be special. The best kicker in the country and a punter who is a solid consistent boomer. KR and PR have the talent to be really good but struggled early last year.

Overall, LU will be really good and should beat GaSt.

I would be surprised if Liberty did not beat GA State. I saw a little of the App State game last year and the team looked strong. Not sure if you lost any key players but you should still be able to exit the Dome with a win...be sure to bring plenty of fans, GA State doesn't have Georgia Southern visiting this year to help them meet minimum attendance xlolx

lionsrking2
August 6th, 2015, 10:56 PM
SELA looked terrible against Tulane last year. Ohio, imo, will be a stronger opponent relative to the Green Wave. Solich is a very solid coach so the Bobcats are always well prepared. Plus, Athens is not an easy place to play.

Tulane is more talented than Ohio ... a lot more talented. FBS games are always tough but we'll match up well with the Bobcats physically. It's a game we can win if we play well.

Catatonic
August 7th, 2015, 04:24 AM
At the same time, what's really the appeal of playing Georgia State? The payout will be modest, the environment terrible and it's a plane trip (granted easy airport to access) for a lot of teams. Eastern Michigan is the same thing imo. Neither one seems like an interesting FBS opponent for Lehigh.....

double post. please delete.

Catatonic
August 7th, 2015, 04:26 AM

Our payout was 300k-plus for playing GSU last year. That's about the norm for Sunbelt teams we have played.

Game attendance was terrible but the dome was nice...and Atlanta is a great location.

knucklehead
August 7th, 2015, 06:08 AM
LU has a bid Alum base in the ATL and should have a good crowd in the Dome.

McNeese75
August 7th, 2015, 09:57 AM
Tulane is more talented than Ohio ... a lot more talented. FBS games are always tough but we'll match up well with the Bobcats physically. It's a game we can win if we play well.

I disagree, underestimating the MAC will result in a similar result as the Tulane game for the lions. Tulane is Not all that.

BUT, I will be pulling for you :)

eiu1999
August 7th, 2015, 10:39 AM

EIU lost to Ohio last year 34-19.