PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh v. JMU kickoff moved to 4 p.m.

ngineer
July 2nd, 2015, 11:51 PM
A game that was originally listed an an evening game, is now being reported to have a 4 p.m. kickoff. Good news for me as I may now be able to make it as I have to back to tak care of matters Sunday a.m. But before I start making concrete plans can the JMU people verify? Looking forward to this visit after a real close one last year.

carney2
July 4th, 2015, 11:43 AM
The game is listed on the JMU schedule as a 4:00 kickoff:

http://www.jmusports.com/schedule.aspx?path=football

ngineer
July 5th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Yes, I've now seen that in two sites, so I guess I can rely on it. Google says it's a 4 1/2 hour drive, so I think I will try and make the trip. I am expecting an atmosphere similar to Liberty a few years ago. A really early barometer of just how much we have improved.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 5th, 2015, 09:16 PM
I drove by JMU when traveling down 81 in 2003. It's really not a bad drive from anywhere in Eastern and Central PA. In fact from where I grew up, about 3 miles from 81, it's about 4 turns. There's a chance I will have some free time around mid September. I'm still trying to put together a round of golf at the Green Brier and this game if I can put together a getaway. I might look into staying in Roanoke...

CHIP72
July 6th, 2015, 11:22 AM
Yes, I've now seen that in two sites, so I guess I can rely on it. Google says it's a 4 1/2 hour drive, so I think I will try and make the trip. I am expecting an atmosphere similar to Liberty a few years ago. A really early barometer of just how much we have improved.

Based on my time living in the Harrisburg area, visiting the family in the Lehigh Valley while I lived there, and going to Winchester, VA (far northern Virginia along I-81) a few times when I lived there, I'd estimate the trip from Bethlehem would take about 4 to 4.5 hours without stops. Here's a breakdown:

*Lehigh Valley (Bethlehem) to Harrisburg: 1 1/2 hours or a little less (when I lived in Harrisburg it would take me almost exactly 90 minutes to travel from 9 miles north of US 22 near PA 512 to about 4 1/2 miles east of downtown Harrisburg)
*Harrisburg to Winchester: 2 hours or a little less (even though Winchester is 3 states away from Harrisburg, it is only about 120 miles; actually, the whole Chambersburg, PA/Hagerstown, MD/Martinsburg, WV/Winchester, VA corridor is just one big region, stretching 65 miles from north to south)
*Winchester to Harrisonburg: 1 hour

The drive itself is pretty easy, though there may be a decent number of trucks at different points (between Allentown and Harrisburg, Carlisle area, Hagerstown area, possibly a couple other spots). IMO, it becomes a more interesting drive once you get south/west of Carlisle (though that may have something to do with the fact I drove that section of I-81 considerably fewer times than the section east of Carlisle and especially east of Harrisburg). You may pick up a bit of traffic south of I-66 in northern Virginia (which is a few miles south of Winchester), but generally speaking the traffic shouldn't be bad; the heaviest spot will probably be near Harrisburg. You'll be helped by the fact Penn State's home game on 9/12 is at 12 PM. (A lot of people from points east and south of Harrisburg use I-81 and I-83 in the Harrisburg area as part of their trip to State College. With the early PSU start time, some people will have traveled the night before, and the people traveling that morning will be through the Harrisburg area between 6 AM and 9 AM.)

KPSUL
July 6th, 2015, 02:23 PM
Lehigh fans, I recommend you consider buying your tickets directly from the JMU website instead of the visiting allocation. The visiting allocation is on the goal line on the visitor's side, Section 8. If you buy a ticket in Section 7 you can be on 20 and you will not be among the hardcore JMU faithful. Sections 1-5 on the "Visitor Side" are reserved for JMU students, 6 is where the more saavy JMU fans without season's tickets end up. I don't like the upper decks on the Home side, they are unusually steep and you walk up about 6 flights of stairs to get there. The view from the upper center seats are pretty good, but they're probably already soldout.

I'm a non-JMU fan that attends a couple games each year because I live 30 miles north off I 81. I try to keep a low profile about this, but I send all my disposal income to Harrisonburg to pay my Fine Arts Senior daughter's tuition and living expenses. I really haven't planned the whole season yet, but I'm not going the the UNH - Colgate game so I'll likely be at JMU - Lehigh.

RichH2
July 6th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Thanks. KPSUL. Will do.

ngineer
July 7th, 2015, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the insight KPSUL. Still hoping to make it there.

heath
July 10th, 2015, 07:15 AM
If you get gas at the Sheetz on Schoenersville and leave from there,its a 4 hour drive.Travelling 81 on weekend means less trucks to get in your way,and drive should be easy. Boosters are staying in Woodstock(30 min north) but many more hotels right in Harrisonburg. Parking at the Convocation Center and walking to stadium might be the best bet on parking,as near the stadium fills up with Duke fans fast. Probably a 4pm game so team will only have to stay 1 night and return home after the game.