PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs...

crunifan
November 21st, 2006, 09:56 PM
Caution: The following post will include gross generalizations about teams and their fans.

The playoffs seem to turn people into mean, vicious creatures. You take the normally quiet OVC fans that become protective that they actually deserve to be there. You now have UNI, Portland State, and San Diego fans absolutely pissed due to the inclusion of "inferior" 7-4 teams and thus their attempt to demean the "inferiors." You have the likes of Montana, UMass, and Appalachian State acting like the Gods due to their amazing seeds and therefore the need to flaunt. And then you have the teams like UNH and Southern Illinois who are basically being ignored, because it is more fun to watch UNI fans whine and EIU fans act like the top dawgs.

So, what it comes down to, is we all are hunky dory in the regular season. And dear sweet Jesus are we friendly during the OOC watching Montana State beat Colorado and Richmond take down Duke...but come playoff time, people are downright mean! What is it about the playoffs that does this? I remember last year was pretty vicious as well.

DaGriz
November 21st, 2006, 11:29 PM
Caution: The following post will include gross generalizations about teams and their fans.

The playoffs seem to turn people into mean, vicious creatures. You take the normally quiet OVC fans that become protective that they actually deserve to be there. You now have UNI, Portland State, and San Diego fans absolutely pissed due to the inclusion of "inferior" 7-4 teams and thus their attempt to demean the "inferiors." You have the likes of Montana, UMass, and Appalachian State acting like the Gods due to their amazing seeds and therefore the need to flaunt. And then you have the teams like UNH and Southern Illinois who are basically being ignored, because it is more fun to watch UNI fans whine and EIU fans act like the top dawgs.

So, what it comes down to, is we all are hunky dory in the regular season. And dear sweet Jesus are we friendly during the OOC watching Montana State beat Colorado and Richmond take down Duke...but come playoff time, people are downright mean! What is it about the playoffs that does this? I remember last year was pretty vicious as well.

I'd say there is a little more on the line this weekend than MSU beating CU and Richmond beating Duke.

Chucktown
November 21st, 2006, 11:29 PM
EIU fans do not think that they are top dawgs.(i like the write up tho)
EIU fans are just not happy to be here this year. (very privileged to be here, with the at large bid, because we know that there are many deserving teams out there) Last year when EIU made the playoffs, people seemed too satisfied that they just made the playoffs-- And this year, they want to get out of that first round. And, let me see if you agree, they got the absolute best outcome of this first round. Home game, in-state rival, and a team that beat them 30-44 week 3. Who else gets another shot??? Not too many people.

So EIU fans are not trying to be cocky, and ignorant, they just do feel that they do belong. It's not their fault that their conference isnt at the top of the standings, but they've been ranked consistently since the beginning of last season.
(I've actually heard many good things of the UNI team, must've been a few rough losses, cuz i saw video of the ISU-UNI game, and UNI's offense physically smacked ISU in the mouth-)
But I really hope that EIU can take ISU down- thats all.

November 21st, 2006, 11:33 PM
I think a lot of the anguish is because the season is nearing the end. Four weeks of do or die playoff games. Even worse for those teams that didn't make it... the season is over.

GOTOREROS
November 21st, 2006, 11:35 PM
I think most San Diego fans realize we need to ramp the schedule up - pretty depressing at this point but what can you do? Gotta convince the admins to make the changes or we need to shut up....

GreatAppSt
November 21st, 2006, 11:39 PM
I'm mean all year long.:nod: :p