PDA

View Full Version : VMI attendance

vmisport
November 21st, 2006, 08:40 PM
despite a difficult year, attendance increased from an average of 6.707 to 7,732. The future looks much better and should lead to further increases.

coastalalum
November 21st, 2006, 09:01 PM
great to hear....all of the big south is on the rise.

chiapet9
November 21st, 2006, 09:01 PM
go keydets! i really hope they can turn their football program around. i always love to go to VMI games - just wish they could win some

Tribe4SF
November 22nd, 2006, 05:32 AM
Good to see some optimism in Lexington.:hurray:

W&M had a surprising increase in attendance this year as well. Averaged 10,650 for the worst season since 1982.

vmisport
November 22nd, 2006, 06:35 AM
go keydets! i really hope they can turn their football program around. i always love to go to VMI games - just wish they could win some
some inherent challenges for recruiting and retention, but we are working hard to find the right student/athletes who are attracted to VMI and can thrive in its environment. Reid can do that. JMU really has a great team this year. We'll be better competition over the next few years. I'd love to see the JMU/VMI game become a major game.

chiapet9
November 22nd, 2006, 07:22 AM
i think we would like to see a major game between the two as well. VMI is our closest competition and i'm pretty sure if the game was more competitive we'd see VMI's stadium packed!

th0m
November 22nd, 2006, 07:36 AM
some inherent challenges for recruiting and retention, but we are working hard to find the right student/athletes who are attracted to VMI and can thrive in its environment. Reid can do that. JMU really has a great team this year. We'll be better competition over the next few years. I'd love to see the JMU/VMI game become a major game.

Same here. Always great to see an all-VA competitive match-up, god knows Richmond and W&M haven't lived up to their expectations ;) *runs*

citdog
November 22nd, 2006, 08:36 AM
There seems to be optimisim at both VMI and The Citadel about the future of both football programs. We are a little bit ahead of VMI and are looking at next season as our breakout year.

Millwoch
November 22nd, 2006, 10:48 AM
I'll be there in Lexington next year for our game. It will be my third trip to Lexington. Always a great day trip across the mountains for us in SC. Glad to see the interest peak. How big is the corp there at VMI? If I recall correctly it is 500 or so less than The Citadel (who has around2000). I also heard at Citadel homecoming that VMI's board approved an increase in size of student body. Should only help VMI. Even though in my mind you still belong in the SOCON, I pull for you guys in the Big South.

Is it true you only had 4 home games? Hopefully that will increase in the future. Citadel will be a nonconference home game for you guys next year.

VMI finished ranked 50th in per game attendance out of all I-AA, which is better than Elon, and CSU....very close to coastal at 47th...(good news for Citadel is we finish 13th in average attendance and 15th in total accumulated attendance with only 5 home games. Average attendance from 11600 per game in 2005 to 14500 this year, but we have room to grow as only 66% of our seats were filled.) Both teams should do even better next year.

Sly Fox
November 22nd, 2006, 12:09 PM
Its great to see the progress this year under Reid on the field and in the stands. The record may not indicate it, but our Flames certainly gained a ton of respect for the Keydets Saturday.

Even though the parking still sucks, that is a terrific stadium to watch a football game on a Saturday afternoon.

I believe every school in the Big South had attendance increase this fall (although I'm not sure about G-W ... haven't seen their numbers).

vmisport
November 22nd, 2006, 04:18 PM
I'll be there in Lexington next year for our game. It will be my third trip to Lexington. Always a great day trip across the mountains for us in SC. Glad to see the interest peak. How big is the corp there at VMI? If I recall correctly it is 500 or so less than The Citadel (who has around2000). I also heard at Citadel homecoming that VMI's board approved an increase in size of student body. Should only help VMI. Even though in my mind you still belong in the SOCON, I pull for you guys in the Big South.

Is it true you only had 4 home games? Hopefully that will increase in the future. Citadel will be a nonconference home game for you guys next year.

VMI finished ranked 50th in per game attendance out of all I-AA, which is better than Elon, and CSU....very close to coastal at 47th...(good news for Citadel is we finish 13th in average attendance and 15th in total accumulated attendance with only 5 home games. Average attendance from 11600 per game in 2005 to 14500 this year, but we have room to grow as only 66% of our seats were filled.) Both teams should do even better next year.
I was at the Citadel game this year and I was very impressed with Citadel's football team and the school's commitment to football. But, our cheerleaders really beat up a couple of members of the corps.

VMI has 1,300 in corps and will grow to 1,500 upon completion of barracks expansion.

Franks Tanks
November 22nd, 2006, 06:27 PM
Great to hear that VMI is on the right track..I came very close to accepting a scholarship to VMI, but instead of course choose Lafayette due mainly to location, and that fact that it woul dbe very difficult for my parents to make it to my games, back when VMI was in teh SoCon. But everyone associated with VMI was a class act, and I will be rooting for you guys.