PDA

View Full Version : 10 Questions - SoCon Football 2015

SU DOG
June 27th, 2015, 07:24 PM
Another article by SoConJohn. He raises some good questions and thoughts on the upcoming season for the SoCon teams. Agree or not, it is interesting reading.

https://medium.com/@SoConJohn22/socon-football-2015-ten-questions-for-2015-3d0982e11857

PaladinFan
June 28th, 2015, 10:28 PM
Another article by SoConJohn. He raises some good questions and thoughts on the upcoming season for the SoCon teams. Agree or not, it is interesting reading.

https://medium.com/@SoConJohn22/socon-football-2015-ten-questions-for-2015-3d0982e11857

Covers a lot of interesting issues. Good read.

FCS_pwns_FBS
July 1st, 2015, 07:17 PM
On the question about FBS games...

The Citadel will have just one FBS foe this season, and like so many of the other league teams, it will come against a foe from a major FBS foe, as the Bulldogs will face South Carolina in Columbia.

Long before the Appalachian State or Georgia Southern upsets of major BCS conference foes, The Citadel, under the direction of the aforementioned Charlie Taafe were making it a habit of beating big conference foes from 1990–92.
One of those foes came in the form of the South Carolina Gamecocks in 1990, as the Bulldogs went to Williams-Brice Stadium and the Bulldogs came away with the unthinkanle — defeating the Gamecocks 38–35. A 10–7 win over Arkansas two years later led to the exit of Arkansas head coach Jack Crowe.
This season, the Bulldogs will battle South Carolina once again. The Bulldogs faced off against the Gamecocks back in 2011, with South Carolina coming up with a 41–20 win. Even though the Gamecocks will be rebuilding this fall, the Nov. 21 matchup doesn’t seem to be likely to follow the outcome of that of the 1990 game.

Looks like he forgot about someone...

I'm dreading this game. We haven't had many easy wins over the Citadel lately, why is this year going to be any different?

Yeah I know blah blah blah Slum Beltch blah blah blah FBS in name only....even if we play West Virginia close and beat Western Michigan (who should be good this year) I won't feel good about the game.

walliver
July 2nd, 2015, 09:05 AM
On the question about FBS games...

Looks like he forgot about someone...

I'm dreading this game. We haven't had many easy wins over the Citadel lately, why is this year going to be any different?

Yeah I know blah blah blah Slum Beltch blah blah blah FBS in name only....even if we play West Virginia close and beat Western Michigan (who should be good this year) I won't feel good about the game.

That has been a strange series. I can remember many times when bad Citadel teams took great GSU teams down to the wire.

PaladinFan
July 2nd, 2015, 10:59 AM
That has been a strange series. I can remember many times when bad Citadel teams took great GSU teams down to the wire.

You play the Citadel in Charleston, all bets are off.

walliver
July 2nd, 2015, 11:03 AM
You play the Citadel in Charleston, all bets are off.

Except for the Wofford series, we tend to play better in Charleston, and they play better in Spartanburg. They are the only team I prefer to play on the road (it also gives me an excuse to go to Charleston).

Toby
July 2nd, 2015, 11:41 AM
Speaking of playing Citadel in Charleston, any hotel recommendations from the SoCon vets?

walliver
July 2nd, 2015, 12:52 PM
Speaking of playing Citadel in Charleston, any hotel recommendations from the SoCon vets? It really depends on what you are looking for. If it were me, I'd rent a condo on the Isle of Palms for the weekend, but I'm older and past the partying stage. If staying in the city, I've enjoyed the Barksdale House and the King Charles Inn - both in easy walking distance to the Market. A lot of SoCon fans will make a weekend out of the game. In fact, back in the NAIA/D2 days, Wofford would always schedule the fall academic break to fall on the weekend of the Citadel game.

FUBeAR
July 2nd, 2015, 01:45 PM
It really depends on what you are looking for. If it were me, I'd rent a condo on the Isle of Palms for the weekend, but I'm older and past the partying stage. If staying in the city, I've enjoyed the Barksdale House and the King Charles Inn - both in easy walking distance to the Market. A lot of SoCon fans will make a weekend out of the game. In fact, back in the NAIA/D2 days, Wofford would always schedule the fall academic break to fall on the weekend of the Citadel game.

@Toby (or anyone else heading to an Away game at El Cid) - if you want to do the rental thing, DM me. I have a former teammate who is a Realtor there (2nd career - retired as an Exec from an Auto Company). He lives on IOP, is a great guy, will understand your needs as a football fan, and has some connections at The Citadel which might be helpful for you. The 'traitor' actually mentors Bellhop Student Athletes now...how much mentoring does someone need to tote luggage? Anyway - DM me and I'll give you his name, number, and emai address.