PDA

View Full Version : JMU Coach Withers dismisses three players...

kdinva
June 24th, 2015, 10:42 AM
http://www.richmond.com/sports/college/football/article_30b38d95-0fa7-5f75-9dcc-c38beced17bb.html

two were big contributors......

Lehigh Football Nation
June 24th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Two big losses on defense.

KPSUL
June 24th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Clear and decisive action to enforce the standards he's established for his players. Enhances the reputation of the JMU program and the credibility of Coach Withers.

kdinva
June 24th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Clear and decisive action to enforce the standards he's established for his players. Enhances the reputation of the JMU program and the credibility of Coach Withers.

....same with Coach Gill @ Liberty.......his "leash" is much shorter than previous....

clenz
June 24th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Nice to see a coach/program take a stand against crime, even if "petty" and not hurting anyone else. Major respect points earned from me.

clenz
June 24th, 2015, 12:28 PM
This quote....I want to put it in my signature when I get my pick games running. It's awesome

"We must establish a foundation that seeks competitive excellence on and off the field. We set standards and we mentor our student-athletes to meet those standards. Unfortunately, these three young men are no longer associated with James Madison University football due to violations of our team core values and disregard for the legal system. When individuals threaten the integrity of our team appropriate action will be taken."

dewey
June 24th, 2015, 12:31 PM
Nice to see a coach/program take a stand against crime, even if "petty" and not hurting anyone else. Major respect points earned from me.

You are going to get a certain red colored fanbase fired up Clenz, LOL!!

Dewey

Gangtackle11
June 24th, 2015, 12:32 PM
This quote....I want to put it in my signature when I get my pick games running. It's awesome

I wonder what renegade FCS program will pick up these players? Good for JMU coach.

clenz
June 24th, 2015, 12:59 PM
You are going to get a certain red colored fanbase fired up Clenz, LOL!!

Dewey
This has nothing to do with ISU - don't try to twist it that way. I'm in enough **** from about 15 people on that one.

This is my thoughts on all football programs, including UNI. I know ursus will give me the "stop with the puritan, it's not a privilege" line again for the 100th time but I stand by it. Too many programs, UNI included, nationwide give kids a free pass on being **** heads because they are good at a sport. It is a privileged to be on a college athletic team - if it wasn't anyone could just join and not be "cut" - especially if the kid has a scholarship. The kid is getting school paid for and representing the school as an athlete. He/she should be held to a higher standard of conduct than Joe Schmoe undergrad who isn't involved in anything on campus.

I think dismissal might be a bit extreme for the very little I know on this. However, maybe there's more on the backside of it.

Either way, kudos to this coach for setting a standard an keeping it regardless of player talent level.

Tribe4SF
June 24th, 2015, 01:49 PM
Coaches who do it the right way lay down clear expectations of actions a player must take to earn their way back in situations like this. I'm guessing that these three failed to comply with the letter of the coach's expectations. Kudos to Withers for establishing a system at JMU. The loss will hurt the Dukes. A future All-American...starting LB... and arguably their best freshman. What's gained, however, is enhancement of the team for the future.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 24th, 2015, 05:29 PM
Good stance by Withers! But, I was hyping the Dukes chances to beat SMU on the AAC board yesterday. This certainly won't help my cause....

NDSUSR
June 25th, 2015, 02:06 PM
All three are already at ISU. /purple

ngineer
June 27th, 2015, 07:53 PM

Agreed. Impressive.

paward
June 28th, 2015, 01:14 PM
If you were working at McDonald's or on Wall Street a petty larceny crime will get you fired. It is a tough pill to swallow and if and when you get a second chance someplace else you need to make good on it. I have to agree with Clenz. A student that has to pay to go to school will be judged as harsh. If you are getting a $25,000 to $50,000 a year payment in tuition you must know how to walk a tight rope. If you do not then you must pay the price. The punishment is tough on those young men and I wish them well in their future. They can only learn from this. However, for those still on the team notice has been served. I believe in second chances but I always told my students that choices not chances will always be the heavy weight.