PDA

View Full Version : Zable Stadium renovation.

Tribe4SF
June 11th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Update on the work. New construction for upper deck, boxes, and press box will be completed to top of current grandstand prior to this season. Completion of those new additions will be accomplished prior to 2016.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=606208&SPID=80810&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=210143212&DB_OEM_ID=25100

http://i1367.photobucket.com/albums/r798/Tribe4SF/zable%20renovation_zpscbeoxmug.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
June 11th, 2015, 01:42 PM
That's looking good! Great work Tribe, and fans.

Mattymc727
June 11th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Awesome! Both W&M and UNH are doing upgrades at exactly the same time with exactly the same amount of money. Looks like the stadiums will look similar too

ursus arctos horribilis
June 11th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Awesome! Both W&M and UNH are doing upgrades at exactly the same time with exactly the same amount of money. Looks like the stadiums will look similar too

I said a couple years ago that when we see lots of facility things going on you should probably start to watch for some oncoming shakeups in the subdivision and I know this stuff has been in the works for all you guys before that but I really think it shows who is positioning to stay at the 2nd level here. I think we all are gonna see as many shovels in the ground as the schools here can sustain in the next 5 yrs. or so.

Libertine
June 11th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Looks promising. This is long overdue for Zable.

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 11th, 2015, 03:49 PM
W&M along with UNH are on my FCS bucket list. Since I won't be getting to either place in the immediate future I'm glad I'd get the updated version. As long as it's not 15 years down the road.

I've heard that Zable was in need of some updating. Everyone knows about UNH's situation. Delaware you're on the clock!!

Go Lehigh TU owl
June 11th, 2015, 04:03 PM
For reference this is what Zable looks like...

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics32/1024/RS/RSNVFDJJAOVIDKO.20121128161800.jpg

HailSzczur
June 11th, 2015, 07:02 PM
I was underwhelmed by Zable. The stadium it's self is very nice, but the sight lines were horrendous where we were sitting.

melloware13
June 11th, 2015, 08:49 PM
W&M along with UNH are on my FCS bucket list. Since I won't be getting to either place in the immediate future I'm glad I'd get the updated version. As long as it's not 15 years down the road.

I've heard that Zable was in need of some updating. Everyone knows about UNH's situation. Delaware you're on the clock!!

I went to Zable in 2012 and liked it, only complaint (other than the thunderstorm) was how low the front of the stands is. But UD did put in hand rails in 2010 so we're off the clock for now (also need to return to getting more than 20k butts in seats before putting shovels in ground).

Mattymc727
June 12th, 2015, 09:35 AM
Here is what UNH will look like in 2016, very similar

http://unhstadium.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Perspective-10-Overall-Aerial-e1431456000359.jpg

bluehenbillk
June 12th, 2015, 10:42 AM
I was underwhelmed by Zable. The stadium it's self is very nice, but the sight lines were horrendous where we were sitting.

Spot on - you have to grab a high row currently for a decent view. Very similar to the Villanova setup. Sit too down low & you're seeing way to much of backs of jerseys on the sidelines. Not smart ideas combining the first row not being really elevated much & a track around the field.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Man, it is sad that they are going to that trouble but not removing the track(s).

AshevilleApp2
June 12th, 2015, 11:12 AM
Man, it is sad that they are going to that trouble but not removing the track(s).

I was just about to post "love the tracks"! xlolx

Mattymc727
June 12th, 2015, 01:21 PM
The hope was to build a completely new field, but they determined they would upgrade what was there. the track was donated by an alumni a while back and the school said they were not removing it for the sake of not offending the original donor.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2015, 01:44 PM
The hope was to build a completely new field, but they determined they would upgrade what was there. the track was donated by an alumni a while back and the school said they were not removing it for the sake of not offending the original donor.

Ah man, I can see why they would go that way but it just sucks to be in that position. When it was donated I wonder why they didn't have the vision to say "let's look into moving this thing" at that point?

Mattymc727
June 12th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Ah man, I can see why they would go that way but it just sucks to be in that position. When it was donated I wonder why they didn't have the vision to say "let's look into moving this thing" at that point?

I dont know what the deal is with W&M's track, but I know UNH thought of moving it. The ultimate goal was probably to build a new stadium somewhere else on campus but because funding was hard to secure and time wasnt on their side they decided to keep the site. I believe the track was donated in the late 90's/early 2000's so its not old enough to claim that it needed to be remodeled and removed.

The graphic makes the distance look enormous, but its really not that bad if you look at live game footage. Plus the stadium will hold the special olympics and other things so it could be worse.

None of us are happy about the track either but the upgrade is so overdue we are happy.

clenz
June 12th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Here is what UNH will look like in 2016, very similar

http://unhstadium.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Perspective-10-Overall-Aerial-e1431456000359.jpg
Hope you're putting a massive video board in, or giving binocs out at every game. Some rough line work measurements on photoshop puts you roughly 40 yards off the field to the brick wall.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2015, 03:43 PM
I dont know what the deal is with W&M's track, but I know UNH thought of moving it. The ultimate goal was probably to build a new stadium somewhere else on campus but because funding was hard to secure and time wasnt on their side they decided to keep the site. I believe the track was donated in the late 90's/early 2000's so its not old enough to claim that it needed to be remodeled and removed.

The graphic makes the distance look enormous, but its really not that bad if you look at live game footage. Plus the stadium will hold the special olympics and other things so it could be worse.

None of us are happy about the track either but the upgrade is so overdue we are happy.

I guess I'm not much on paying attention to these things but 15-20 yrs. isn't getting close to thinking about replacement?

I know you guys have waited a long time and all but man this seems like it's pulling up pretty short for the fans on this one. If that ain't coming out now you know it's gonna be there for your lifetime. I still say big congrats but this has got to really fall short for some of the UNH long suffering fans. That is a long damn way from the action for you guys.

Sitting Bull
June 12th, 2015, 04:53 PM
Spot on - you have to grab a high row currently for a decent view. Very similar to the Villanova setup. Sit too down low & you're seeing way to much of backs of jerseys on the sidelines. Not smart ideas combining the first row not being really elevated much & a track around the field.

I thought the same, you have to sit mid section or higher at both W&M and Villanova for an acceptable sight line. The new upper deck at W&M will now be prime seating. The visitors section unfortunately will not change, same location. Only suggestion is to order tickets at the higher levels if you can.

Where W&M and Nova differ dramatically is the stadium environment, inside and outside, on gameday. I have been to several games now at Nova - there is no tailgating, no buzz on campus. What I like most about Zable is the whole gameday - the stadium smack in the middle of a wooded campus, tailgating right outside the gates in all directions, a pep band that roves the tailgates and a choice of bars and taverns right across the street.

Mattymc727
June 12th, 2015, 04:57 PM
If UNH football continues to grow the rate its been growing over the last 15 years, who knows what renovations can be made in another 10 years. This is a first big step for the program. Its obviously not a top 10, maybe 20 in fcs, but its lightyears ahead of what Cowell was. Lord and Savior McDonnell has built up this thing from scratch with a lot less talent than some of the programs we have beat over the last 15 years, so its only looking up from here. Believe it or not, the distance between the old home (new away) side is the actual distance of today. Ive seen many a game in those seats and not once did I feel far away. Sure, removing the track would be ideal, but this works for where the program is right now.

A video scoreboard is on the list, as stated by the AD. They wanted to put a jumbotron in the hockey arena first, which is being done right now.

Not trying to steal the show from W&M here, sorry about that. I LOVE the upgrades that Zable is doing. Very classy look for a very classy program.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 12th, 2015, 05:06 PM
I thought the same, you have to sit mid section or higher at both W&M and Villanova for an acceptable sight line. The new upper deck at W&M will now be prime seating. The visitors section unfortunately will not change, same location. Only suggestion is to order tickets at the higher levels if you can.

Where W&M and Nova differ dramatically is the stadium environment, inside and outside, on gameday. I have been to several games now at Nova - there is no tailgating, no buzz on campus. What I like most about Zable is the whole gameday - the stadium smack in the middle of a wooded campus, tailgating right outside the gates in all directions, a pep band that roves the tailgates and a choice of bars and taverns right across the street.

That sounds like a top notch environment and from what I remember I've heard it's a good time there.

HailSzczur
June 12th, 2015, 07:54 PM

We ended up standing most of the game so we could see at Zable, probably around row 10ish. At Nova our seats are in Row 17 so we never really have an issue

HailSzczur
June 12th, 2015, 07:58 PM

Atmosphere was top notch. It was you homecoming when I was in this past fall and it was a lot of fun. I enjoyed how their were tailgaters so close that they could actually touch the stadium. Was nice how all the partying was spread out through out the campus too. We were in the lot by the basketball stadium with the Nova alumni association. By contrast at Nova everything is shoved to one side of campus. Couple that with apathetic gameday atmosphere and its quite possible to be on campus and not even realize a game was going on.

Catsfan90
June 13th, 2015, 10:25 PM
Same here. I had decent seats, but I felt miles away from the game.

hktribefan
June 15th, 2015, 01:57 PM
The master plan for campus was updated a few months ago, and moving the track out to be co-located with our soccer/lacrosse and baseball stadiums in on the list of projects. That's all it is right now, a list; still need funds to be raised, and there are a few other things that are ahead of that on the schedule (practice facility for bball/volleyball, and renovation to the basketball facility).

Mattymc727
June 15th, 2015, 02:32 PM
How hard is it to move a track and get fans closer to the field in an already existing stadium? Does that happen often?

hktribefan
June 15th, 2015, 04:10 PM
My hope with Zable would be to sink the field and add a few rows there, but that's a long way off for us.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 16th, 2015, 03:05 PM
My hope with Zable would be to sink the field and add a few rows there, but that's a long way off for us.

As long as it isn't a rock slab underneath that is always the best idea in my mind but it might add a bunch to costs.

Sitting Bull
July 25th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Progress as of 7/22.

West side concourse taking shape, upper deck in early development.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?&PALBID=1547058&DB_OEM_ID=25100

Ivytalk
July 26th, 2015, 12:22 PM
Zable has always had a great game-day atmosphere. My aunt and uncle were/are loyal Tribe alums and chose to get end zone seats under the scoreboard. Met Tribe4SF at a UD game there. Good times!