PDA

View Full Version : Who Rules the West in Football???

DukesR4Real
November 20th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Posted for a friend to get more insight.....

I know this could never happen because one is a professional team and one is just a college team who doesnt give out scholarships. But after San Diego has convincingly beaten Azusa Pacific and Yale this season the question has to be asked, can they compete with the San Diego Chargers of the National Football League. Let's break it down:

San Diego Toreros Offense vs. San Diego Chargers Defense

This is tough but I'm going to give a slight edge to the Chargers. I believe that, while Josh Johnson is a surefire NFL Quarterback his line would have a hard time picking up the Chargers Blitz packages. If Merriman plays I think this may be the type of game he dominates. The only way the Toreros could win this matchup is if they come out with one of their crazy 6 WR formations and totally fool the Chargers, I wouldn't put this past Jim Harbugh, he knows a lot of formations because he played in the NFL.

San Diego Chargers Offense vs. San Diego Toreros Defense

Again, I give the edge to the defense. Rivers is a good QB, but he is effectively a rookie and the Toreros beat a solid Yale team this year, AT YALE. I think if the Toreros can stop the Chargers passing game, which they should be able to do because the Chargers recievers are a little below average, The toreros will be able to stack 8 or even 9 guys in the box to stop LaDainian Tomlinson, who some of you may have heard of, he has the second most amount of TD's in Southern California this year, behind Pro Bowl candidate Josh Johnson.

Special Teams

I Gotta go with the Chargers here because the Toreros have hardly had to punt or kick a field goal all year, so while they may be good at it they are out of practice.

Coaching

This is tough, on one sideline you have one of the greatest motivators in the history of the game. A guy who has won countless games on X's and O's alone. The type of guy that will eventually be in the Hall of Fame. Also the type of man who has dedicated his life to being the best coach he possibly can. And on the other sideline you have Marty Schottenheimer. A guy who blew the AFC Championship in '88 and hasnt recoverd. I think the edge here has got to go to Harbaugh. He is more youthful and his players seem to love it when he plays scout team quarterback. So I'll take harbaugh here unless he goes out drinking before the game with his brother in law Tom Crean.

Intangibles

I like the Toreros here. After getting ousted from the 1-AA playoffs they really have something to prove. The Chargers on the other hand are getting fat and complacent after two big victories over playoff caliber teams.

Final Score prediction

Toreros 17
Chargers 13

GrizFanIRAQ
November 20th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Montana does this year like most other years....:twocents: :twocents:

Just look at the resume below!!!

AggiePride
November 20th, 2006, 09:56 PM

NDSU had a more convincing season IMO.

chuges1
November 20th, 2006, 10:05 PM
NDSU had a more convincing season IMO.

I think NDSU had a good season, but not quite as good as Montana's in my opinion.

AggiePride
November 20th, 2006, 10:07 PM
I think NDSU had a good season, but not quite as good as Montana's in my opinion.

No doubt it is close.

NDSU is one blocked field goal away from two good I-A wins and an umblemished record. Seals the deal for me, as well as the fact they play in the best western conference ;)

FargoBison
November 20th, 2006, 10:10 PM
NDSU=Montana, either team could make a case for being better then the other and since the teams can't meet on the field I have pretty much decided to call them equal.

Model Citizen
November 20th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Dukes4Real,

The Toreros have an unfair advantage with three people who either coached or played for the Chargers. Make that four if you count Ted Tollner, one of their radio men. Games are won in the preparation. :eyebrow:

OleGriz
November 20th, 2006, 10:48 PM
As a program, definitely Montana. But this season I'd give NDSU the edge as the better team. I think this year's Griz could beat NDSU (especially in Missoula), but I'm glad we don't have to. If NDSU were in the bracket, I'd definitely pick them to make it to Chattanooga (or lose to Montana in the Semis, if that's how they were bracketed (I don't think I could pick against my own team in such a matchup)).

GaSouthern
November 20th, 2006, 10:57 PM
GRIZ

plain and simple

UNHWildCats
November 20th, 2006, 10:58 PM
what the hell do they put in the water out there in San Diego?

AZGrizFan
November 20th, 2006, 11:11 PM

Plus, NDSU isn't as far West. :p :p :p :p :p

In fact, dare I say they're "mid-west". :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

AggieFinn
November 20th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Plus, NDSU isn't as far West. :p :p :p :p :p

In fact, dare I say they're "mid-west". :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I've always thought that too, but, I guess in terms of I-AA football, where it feels like you could count the number of I-AA schools west of the Dakotas on one hand, they're pretty West. It's all good with me though, especially if NDSU and SDSU keep sticking it to everybody.

ereiz03
November 20th, 2006, 11:46 PM
Another USD hater....thanks for your pointless post Duke :nono:

CaBisonFan
November 21st, 2006, 03:08 AM

You have a lot of good reasons to be proud of the great Griz tradition and resume.

North Dakota State is the strongest team in the west this year. They won the Great West, the strongest football conference in DI-AA this year. They completely outplayed the Minnesota Gophers and lost a heartbreaker with a blocked fieldgoal at the end. They won six road games in seven weeks against teams like Ball State and Southern Georgia. They were super strong in the trenches, a great running back corps, excellent receivers with one real burner, a stifling defense, and team chemistry that very likely would have put them in the running for the title. I'm certainly biased...but this Bison team was astounding....not good, not very good, not excellent, not amazing....astounding.

If you had seen them play, your jaw would have dropped. They had it all. The only weakness was an occasional lapse in deep coverage....but the rush was so devastating that quarterbacks rarely had time for anything more than a quick 3 step drop. There were legitimate NFL caliber players at two linebacker positions, one defensive line position, one offensive lineman, running back, wide receiver, and quarterback.

These players deserved a chance to prove their greatness as a team.

Oh well.

DukesR4Real
November 21st, 2006, 07:37 AM
It was supposed to be a joke...guess the people here dont really have a sense of humor

downbythebeach
November 21st, 2006, 07:42 AM
It was supposed to be a joke...guess the people here dont really have a sense of humor

There's something there, but not really explorers best work....:rotateh:

Dukie95
November 21st, 2006, 08:06 AM
ROFL!

Normally I wouldn't have clicked on a thread about the west, but since the CAAZone is down, I have a little extra time this morning...

Nice work. :)

Ruler 79
November 21st, 2006, 08:57 AM
I got it Duke and I LMAO...especially the part about Marty Schottenheiomer under the coaching paragraph...LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

absolutly hysterical!

HensRock
November 21st, 2006, 09:03 AM

It was just about the funniest thing I've ever read on this site.

I especially liked the part where the Griz and NDSU fans were so full of themselves they didn't get it!!!!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

DukesR4Real
November 21st, 2006, 09:18 AM
haha ok im glad some of you got it....

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2006, 09:21 AM
The SF 49ers are coming on strong, so look out. :eyebrow:

ucdtim17
November 21st, 2006, 11:33 AM
NDSU played 2 I-A teams and doesn't have the blowout loss that UM has - it's gotta be NDSU

AggiePride
November 21st, 2006, 11:33 AM
I think everyone "got it". Ha ha. Great timing.

Welcome to two months ago Duke.

Tailbone
November 21st, 2006, 11:40 AM
NDSU played 2 I-A teams and doesn't have the blowout loss that UM has - it's gotta be NDSU

I suppose NDSU can enjoy their "mythical national championship" then when the Griz hoist their 3rd flag. :rolleyes:

ucdtim17
November 21st, 2006, 11:43 AM
I suppose NDSU can enjoy their "mythical national championship" then when the Griz hoist their 3rd flag. :rolleyes:

Yep. Stupid transition rules

RabidRabbit
November 21st, 2006, 12:07 PM
Yep. Stupid transition rules

Good News Aggies!!!! :thumbsup: Next season you're eligible!!!:hurray:

MplsBison
November 21st, 2006, 12:08 PM
As far as the 2006 season is concerned between NDSU and Montana, I have 3 lines for you:

Iowa 41 Montana 7

Minnesota 10 NDSU 9

Minnesota 34 Iowa 24

AggiePride
November 21st, 2006, 12:23 PM

No matter what you do many people will remember NDSU just as much as the National champion this year, if not just because "what if", but by also putting the stupid transition rule into the spotlight. You obviously have no respect for the Bison. They are one FG from turning this into a huge and controversial topic.

AZGrizFan
November 21st, 2006, 12:30 PM
As far as the 2006 season is concerned between NDSU and Montana, I have 3 lines for you:

Iowa 41 Montana 7

Minnesota 10 NDSU 9

Minnesota 34 Iowa 24

I have two MORE lines for you:

UM 36, SDSU 7
NDSU 41, SDSU 28

So by your twisted logic, we'd roll NSDU.

The Iowa team UM played was not the same Iowa team Minnesota played. And more than likely vice-versa for the SDSU teams. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

AggiePride
November 21st, 2006, 12:34 PM
In 2006 there is one fact about the west, since the best team can't be proven on the field.

GWFC > BSC.

So I am happy knowing what conference rules the west, both in rank and head to head.

xcoffeex

Dane96
November 21st, 2006, 01:23 PM
There's something there, but not really explorers best work....:rotateh:

I told those guys they couldnt survivie on this board.:smiley_wi Not u Dukes!!!

GrizDen
November 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM
I have two MORE lines for you:

UM 36, SDSU 7
NDSU 41, SDSU 28

So by your twisted logic, we'd roll NSDU.

The Iowa team UM played was not the same Iowa team Minnesota played. And more than likely vice-versa for the SDSU teams. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

Well said AZGrizFan. I've never liked the "team A beat team B, so they must be better than team C" argument. Isn't that why we the name of this site is Any Give Saturday?:nod:

AZGrizFan
November 21st, 2006, 01:35 PM
Well said AZGrizFan. I've never liked the "team A beat team B, so they must be better than team C" argument. Isn't that why we the name of this site is Any Give Saturday?:nod:

Well, unfortunately because of the transition rules, it's all NDSU fans have to hang their hat on. Unfortunately, they're starting to come across as bitter USD or UNI fans.....:cool:

FargoBison
November 21st, 2006, 01:38 PM
I'll say it again, NDSU=Montana. Unless of course the Griz go all the way but until then they are equal.

melloAggiesousa
November 21st, 2006, 02:08 PM
OK, ok.

So, USD vs. Mike Ditka. Who wins?

Tailbone
November 21st, 2006, 02:11 PM
OK, ok.

Chuck Norris.

Tod
November 21st, 2006, 02:12 PM
I'll say it again, NDSU=Montana. Unless of course the Griz go all the way but until then they are equal.

I can go along with that. Hell, NDSU may be better, we won't know this year.

The key is going to be keeping that up over the long term. I don't blame NDSU fans for being upset. You have no way of knowing if this is the best team NDSU will have for the next 20 years. :eek:

HensRock
November 21st, 2006, 02:49 PM
OK, ok.

"DICK-AH" :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

JBB
November 21st, 2006, 04:11 PM
It was supposed to be a joke...guess the people here dont really have a sense of humor It was funny! Its just a little too serious right now. Your timing is wrong thats all! xlolx

NDSU is 1-0 against the Grizz in the modern era. We are ranked higher and won the toughest conference in the CS division. I give it to the BISON. :bow:

As far as the next 20 years, I expect they will look a lot like the last 20 in D2. Win, Win, Win!!!!

I forgot to add its all talk. Its fun to speculate but the playoffs are starting this weekend. Thats where we will find out who really is the best, and NDSU isnt a member yet so we will just have to wait until we are.

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2006, 05:23 PM

NDSU doesn't claim mythical national championships in I-AA. Why do the Montana fans keep claiming that. :eyebrow:

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2006, 05:30 PM
Well, unfortunately because of the transition rules, it's all NDSU fans have to hang their hat on. Unfortunately, they're starting to come across as bitter USD or UNI fans.....:cool:

I give my congrats to your coach, and come here to read this.
You sure are lonely without the Cap'n here AZ.
: smh : : smh : : smh : ;) xlolx xlolx xlolx

Ronbo
November 21st, 2006, 05:56 PM
As a program, definitely Montana. But this season I'd give NDSU the edge as the better team. I think this year's Griz could beat NDSU (especially in Missoula), but I'm glad we don't have to. If NDSU were in the bracket, I'd definitely pick them to make it to Chattanooga (or lose to Montana in the Semis, if that's how they were bracketed (I don't think I could pick against my own team in such a matchup)).

Bring em' on. I hate Griz fans coming here and acting scared. "Ooooh I'm glad we don't have to play you." Puke. Pull up your skirt man, your panties are showing.xlolx

NDSUFREAK
November 21st, 2006, 06:04 PM
"DICK-AH" :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BEARS!
DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS DA BEARS!!

DAAA BULLS!:confused:

NDSUFREAK
November 21st, 2006, 06:07 PM
And once again there will not be any mythical national championships this year, or next until we are eligible. Then we can talk about competeing for them.:rotateh:

Tailbone
November 21st, 2006, 06:31 PM
NDSU doesn't claim mythical national championships in I-AA. Why do the Montana fans keep claiming that. :eyebrow:

Perhaps not overtly but what do you suppose is the significance of this tag line (from the posts of one "Gil Dobie")? :rolleyes:

Minnesota 10 NDSU 9
Iowa 41 Montana 7
Minnesota 34 Iowa 24

and this:

Iowa 41 Montana 7
Minnesota 10 NDSU 9
Minnesota 34 Iowa 24

No "mythical championship"?......riiiight!

The history of I-AA is replete with coulda, shoulda, woulda....but didn't.
Don't break yer arm pattin' yerself on the back.

You should be glad you're not eligible for the play-offs, this way you can be sure you're the best team in all the land. xidiotx

GOTOREROS
November 21st, 2006, 06:50 PM
Just another USD thread started by a non-USD poster......xlolx

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2006, 07:05 PM
Perhaps not overtly but what do you suppose is the significance of this tag line (from the posts of one "Gil Dobie")? :rolleyes:

Minnesota 10 NDSU 9
Iowa 41 Montana 7
Minnesota 34 Iowa 24

and this:

No "mythical championship"?......riiiight!

The history of I-AA is replete with coulda, shoulda, woulda....but didn't.
Don't break yer arm pattin' yerself on the back.

You should be glad you're not eligible for the play-offs, this way you can be sure you're the best team in all the land. xidiotx

No mythical champion, you are correct. Only a few Griz fans can formulate that from a signature. Tailbone and Ronbo. : smh : : smh : : smh :

Ronbo
November 21st, 2006, 07:31 PM
As long as you keep that signature Mr Gil I'm going to keep the one below.xlolx

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2006, 07:39 PM

Glad to see you laughing Ronbo, I'd be worried if you took it too serious. ;) :D

Tailbone
November 21st, 2006, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by Ronbo
As long as you keep that signature Mr Gil I'm going to keep the one below.

Glad to see you laughing Ronbo, I'd be worried if you took it too serious.

Montana 36, SDSU 7
NDSU 41, SDSU 28

Fixed it for ya. :nod:

CaBisonFan
November 21st, 2006, 09:00 PM

Got the joke immediately....yawn.

Gil Dobie
November 21st, 2006, 09:30 PM
Fixed it for ya. :nod:

Thanks
NDSU 51 Cal Poly 14
Montana 10 Cal Poly 9

No_Skill
November 21st, 2006, 09:40 PM

Gil could add our gaudy DII stats, but we all know those don't count in the CS. :thumbsup:

SeattleGriz
November 21st, 2006, 10:30 PM

Iowa 41 Montana 7

Minnesota 10 NDSU 9

Minnesota 34 Iowa 24

Don't be bummed MPLS that NDSU can be likened to that 10 year old kid who is 6 foot tall and already grows a beard, only to be the same size and fat 4 years later. Enjoy the best years of your life!:) :) :)

Poly Pigskin
November 21st, 2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks
NDSU 51 Cal Poly 14
Montana 10 Cal Poly 9

I came here to post exactly this. Sure it was the end of a tough road trip, but damn, that Bison team is LIGHTS OUT.