PDA

View Full Version : FCS Playoff Schools "Punished" for APR scores

Lehigh Football Nation
May 27th, 2015, 12:31 PM
A grand total of two: Gardner-Webb and and Tennessee State.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/raising-bar

Tennessee State is the only one of the two whom has ever qualified for the FCS postseason. The Tigers have won a grand total of one postseason game, against a PFL school.

clenz
May 27th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Racist....

DFW HOYA
May 27th, 2015, 01:30 PM
Ineligible in 2015:

Alabama State (7-5)
Florida A&M (3-9)
Gardner-Webb (4-8)
Savannah State (0-12)
Tennessee State (6-6)

dgtw
May 27th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Can those teams go to the HBCU Bowl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Libertine
May 27th, 2015, 02:18 PM

No.

FAMU is also facing Level Three APR penalties which can include loss of practice time/days, no spring football, loss of scholarships, reduced roster size, and restrictions on recruiting and number of coaches on staff.

walliver
May 27th, 2015, 02:58 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless HBCU stands for Historically Baptist College or University then Gardner-Webb is out of luck.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 27th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Ineligible in 2015:

Alabama State (7-5)
Florida A&M (3-9)
Gardner-Webb (4-8)
Savannah State (0-12)
Tennessee State (6-6)

Power 5 programs affected: 0

Sam_Kats
May 27th, 2015, 04:28 PM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pinnum
May 28th, 2015, 08:00 AM
The SWAC schools are always hit hard by the APR. It is a poor metric, in my opinion. It rewards programs that keep kids coming back so programs that award partial scholarships that also have a high percentage of first generation and low income students are hit harder. Since it is a rolling average, the changes in 2011 to the Federal Plus loans have really hurt these programs. HBCUs lost a lot of students as they were unable to borrow under the new guidelines.

DFW HOYA
May 28th, 2015, 08:10 AM
The SWAC schools are always hit hard by the APR. It is a poor metric, in my opinion. It rewards programs that keep kids coming back so programs that award partial scholarships that also have a high percentage of first generation and low income students are hit harder.

Fair enough, but what is the solution? HBCU's in general can struggle with few if any staff resources devoted for compliance. It happens to poor schools and relatively wealthy ones--remember when Howard was set to suspend its entire athletics program when it was discovered that the staff didn't even know the NCAA rules regarding book purchases?

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2012/04/04/breaking-howard-university-suspends-all-sports-teams-games/

And the NCAA investigation:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/ncaa-announces-penalties-imposed-by-howard-university-athletics-department/2014/05/20/41554352-e059-11e3-810f-764fe508b82d_story.html

Pinnum
May 28th, 2015, 08:42 AM
Fair enough, but what is the solution? HBCU's in general can struggle with few if any staff resources devoted for compliance. It happens to poor schools and relatively wealthy ones--remember when Howard was set to suspend its entire athletics program when it was discovered that the staff didn't even know the NCAA rules regarding book purchases?

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/citydesk/2012/04/04/breaking-howard-university-suspends-all-sports-teams-games/

And the NCAA investigation:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/ncaa-announces-penalties-imposed-by-howard-university-athletics-department/2014/05/20/41554352-e059-11e3-810f-764fe508b82d_story.html

It is the reason I am a big advocate of the HBCU centric football model. I would also like to see the football teams move to a PFL/D3 type model where the athletes are treated like the general student population. The HBCU rivalries are big and they will remain big even if the talent drops off (in a closed system, it won't be reflected in schedules or results.) In the instance of some schools, like those in the SWAC, I don't believe putting the school's limited institutional financial aid into athletes on a football team (that can have a closed system) is a wise use of resources when the total student population is often struggling financially as well.

Compliance is just one of the many differences in the resources available to D1 programs.

BEAR
May 28th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Not football but UCA's basketball team fired its head coach and dismissed 11 of the 12 players last year and started over completely. That APR took a HUGE hit (600+) and the fans are GLAD because now we can establish a division I program that has a chance to compete in the SLC. What a joke they've been this past few years. Glad the football team is a conference leader!

Lehigh Football Nation
May 28th, 2015, 09:32 AM
The SWAC schools are always hit hard by the APR. It is a poor metric, in my opinion. It rewards programs that keep kids coming back so programs that award partial scholarships that also have a high percentage of first generation and low income students are hit harder. Since it is a rolling average, the changes in 2011 to the Federal Plus loans have really hurt these programs. HBCUs lost a lot of students as they were unable to borrow under the new guidelines.

100% agree. The APR punishes schools that have had as a fundamental part of their mission the education of first-time-in-the-family's-history college students and non-traditional students (i.e. students who, for varying reasons, could not attend college at 18 and instead wish to return to school later in life). Schools who take on these students, especially when scholarship money is limited, will have larger dropout rates overwhelmingly due to financial considerations and family matters. The "reformation" of the Federal Plus loans, IMO, is the biggest mistake of the Obama presidency, harming all of these institutions across the board and denying educational opportunities.

It is the reason I am a big advocate of the HBCU centric football model. I would also like to see the football teams move to a PFL/D3 type model where the athletes are treated like the general student population. The HBCU rivalries are big and they will remain big even if the talent drops off (in a closed system, it won't be reflected in schedules or results.) In the instance of some schools, like those in the SWAC, I don't believe putting the school's limited institutional financial aid into athletes on a football team (that can have a closed system) is a wise use of resources when the total student population is often struggling financially as well.

Compliance is just one of the many differences in the resources available to D1 programs.

All I know is that the solution isn't something easy.

Reclassifying the SWAC (and maybe now the MEAC) to D-II or D-III might make some sense in regards to an HBCU model as PFL/limited scholarship; however, you're also removing opportunities for some football players to have some (if not all) of their education to be paid for, when shrinking opportunities is part of the overall problem.

There's an argument for states to do a better job of financial support; but then again, there have been high-profile issues of corruption at several HBCUs in the last decade, most notably at South Carolina State and Howard.

There's an excellent argument for the CFP/Power 5 to offer a portion of their TV contracts to fund athletic scholarships at HBCUs in a wide variety of sports. However, good luck convincing the P5 to give up their ivory backscratchers to make that happen.

Again, there's no easy solution.

clenz
May 28th, 2015, 09:52 AM
What arguement for the P5 giving money to the SWAC is there?

That's pretty ****ing dumb

Lehigh Football Nation
May 28th, 2015, 09:55 AM
What arguement for the P5 giving money to the SWAC is there?

That's pretty ****ing dumb

I don't know, giving money to a school so they can offer athletics scholarships to first-time college kids is a better use of money than waterfalls in the weight room?

clenz
May 28th, 2015, 10:10 AM
I don't know, giving money to a school so they can offer athletics scholarships to first-time college kids is a better use of money than waterfalls in the weight room?
So....

white guilt/privilege?

If that's the case then every school should get money.

Black kids going to HBCU's are the only kids from poor families going to college as the first generation college kid.

SIU is about to have 44 million cut from their budget from the state. Indiana State crowd sourced basketball uniforms last year....They need some of that money too.

Pinnum
May 28th, 2015, 10:17 AM
The P5 already give them money. They pay teams to play against them. This is a fair tradeoff and is how the P5s subsidize programs with less resources. There is no justification for confiscating resources from one school for another (unless they are in the same school system and the system decides to do so).

I am not too concerned about giving a football player an opportunity to attend school at a discounted rate so they can play a sport when it means that a young woman with a drive to get an education but lacks athletic ability and financial resources has to pay more to subsidize the football players education.

Many people often get the impression that I am all about college sports but that couldn't be further from the true. I am all about education and the academic mission and believe that athletics pay a part in that and I enjoy sports. But when faced the decision of how to best allocated limited resources, I will side with the academic mission.

The SWAC does not need to go D2 or D3 because they already fund their teams (as a whole) on a D2 level and they get an increased brand and funding through their D1 sponsorship. They would actually be worse off going D2.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 28th, 2015, 10:29 AM
If that's the case then every school should get money.

xthumbsupx xnodx

walliver
May 28th, 2015, 10:36 AM

Wouldn't a better use be to use the money to lower everybody's tuition?

HBCU's have an increasing role in educating first-in-the-family students, but why should the money be targeted to first-time students with athletic skills only.

Also, keep in mind that downgrading HBCU football to D-2 or D-3 would result in a loss of March Madness money. A better solution would be for the MEAC and/or SWAC to create their own scholarship levels and expenses like the PFL.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 28th, 2015, 10:39 AM

HBCU's have an increasing role in educating first-in-the-family students, but why should the money be targeted to first-time students with athletic skills only.

Also, keep in mind that downgrading HBCU football to D-2 or D-3 would result in a loss of March Madness money. A better solution would be for the MEAC and/or SWAC to create their own scholarship levels and expenses like the PFL.

Agreed, which is why this is just a thorny, complex issue.

WestCoastAggie
May 28th, 2015, 11:11 AM

They are kind of doing it now with the creation of the Celebration Bowl.

Pinnum
May 28th, 2015, 11:36 AM

They are kind of doing it now with the creation of the Celebration Bowl.

Which I think is a smart move.

PAllen
May 28th, 2015, 01:14 PM

Just a point of fact for the discussion: the number of Howard undergraduate students who paid full tuition for the '14/'15 academic year was... zero. Lowering tuition at some HBCUs would have little to no impact on the students.

DFW HOYA
May 28th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Just a point of fact for the discussion: the number of Howard undergraduate students who paid full tuition for the '14/'15 academic year was... zero. Lowering tuition at some HBCUs would have little to no impact on the students.

It's surprising how the federal subsidization of Howard University gets so little pushback within or outside the HBCU community. It's the only private university in America getting an annual check for $234 million, and that's with a $600 million endowment.

https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/budget12/justifications/u-howard.pdf

centennial
May 28th, 2015, 01:41 PM
It's surprising how the federal subsidization of Howard University gets so little pushback within or outside the HBCU community. It's the only private university in America getting an annual check for $234 million, and that's with a $600 million endowment.

https://www2.ed.gov/about/overview/budget/budget12/justifications/u-howard.pdf
Must have a great lobbyist..

Pinnum
May 28th, 2015, 02:08 PM

Where did you get that stat from?

Even if it were true... Not being full pay does not mean they have a full ride. Sure, if sticker price is $180k and I only have to pay $30k I am not full pay and am getting a huge discount off the sticker price but I also have a burden of $30k which may impact my decision to attend or performance while working toward graduation.

If you want some real data, here is the average net cost by cohort for Howard University. (Note: Cost of attendance is $41,643).

Income
2010-11
2011-12
2012-13

$0 - $30,000
$15,177
$24,434
$20,770

$30,001 - $48,000
$20,111
$28,055
$25,579

$48,001 - $75,000
$22,423
$28,490
$26,917

$75,001 - $110,000
$22,595
$25,697
$23,546

$110,001 and more
$18,698
$20,742
$19,597

Note: A third of students come from a family with income under $40,000.

So more aid available to the students would have an impact on the students. It would lower their burden and could result in more students accepting offers to Howard that are currently electing to attend their state school for lower tuition or another private school that may be offering more in financial or merit aid.

Pinnum
May 28th, 2015, 02:51 PM
Must have a great lobbyist..

Howard University and Howard University Hospital receive appropriations from Congress for their endowment and operation. DC is not a state so it doesn't have voting rights in certain situations and is controlled by, and has funding issued by, Congress. Though there is a local District government the powers of the local body have changed over the years.

It is important to note that DC has more people living in it than Vermont or Wyoming. As a result, Howard, in addition to District operated University of the District of Columbia does get funding from Congress.

Congress has been issuing funding to Howard since the 1800s. It is kind of like Pennsylvania's state supported schools (Penn State, Pitt, Temple, Lincoln) in that they are privately operated but receive public appropriations.

I believe the Howard University hospital was the first municipal hospitals in the District which has been part of the justification for the support.

TTUEagles
June 4th, 2015, 09:14 PM
TSU gets back in (eligible for playoffs now).

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/2015/06/04/tsu-football-academics-postseason/28501749/

WestCoastAggie
June 4th, 2015, 09:55 PM
TSU gets back in (eligible for playoffs now).

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/2015/06/04/tsu-football-academics-postseason/28501749/

In my gut, I figured something was off with their multi-year score. They, like most HBCU's need to invest more in their Athletic Compliance department and in their Registrar's Office in general. The record keeping has to move into to the 2010's.

Lehigh Football Nation
June 5th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Not sure about this but I imagine people at the OVC heaved a huge sigh of relief at this news. No worries about playoff tiebreakers, etc.

clenz
June 5th, 2015, 09:34 AM
Meanwhile UNI has 5 teams in the top 10 nationally for APR....again

http://www.unipanthers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=26200&ATCLID=210099831

The University of Northern Iowa men’s basketball, men’s golf, women’s golf, women’s cross country and women’s volleyball teams have been recognized by the NCAA for their latest multi-year Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores. These teams posted multi-year APR scores in the top 10 percent of all squads in their respective sports.

“We are proud of the commitment to academic success shown by our student-athletes, coaches and staff on a daily basis,” UNI Director of Athletics Troy Dannen said. “The NCAA's recognition of these five teams' achievement in the classroom validates that commitment, and earns Panther athletics an admirable place relative to our peers. Panther athletics will continue to emphasize academic, athletic and social performance as the foundation of excellence among our 400 student-athletes.”

UNI’s average APR score for all of its teams is 985. A perfect score in the APR is 1000. Each student-athlete receiving athletically related financial aid earns one retention point for staying in school and one eligibility point for being academically eligible. A team’s total points are divided by the points possible and then multiplied by one thousand to equal the team’s Academic Progress Rate score.

This is the 10th year the NCAA has recognized programs for their APRs, and UNI volleyball has been recognized all 10 years. UNI volleyball is one of 129 programs in the nation to have earned the recognition in each of the 10 years teams have been honored.

This is the fifth consecutive year and sixth overall that the women's cross country squad has been recognized, also finishing in the top 10 percent in 2004-05, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, 2012-13. This is the fourth straight year the UNI men’s golf team has attained the top-10 percent honor. It is the third consecutive top-10 percent honor for the UNI women’s golf squad.

For the third consecutive year, the UNI men’s basketball program is the only Missouri Valley Conference men’s basketball school to be listed in the top 10 percent.

Each year, the NCAA honors selected Division I sports teams by publicly recognizing their latest multiyear NCAA Division I Academic Progress Rate (APR). This announcement is part of the overall Division I academic reform effort and is intended to highlight teams that demonstrate a commitment to academic progress and retention of student-athletes by achieving the top APRs within their respective sports. Specifically, these teams posted multiyear APRs in the top 10 percent of all squads in each sport. This year's release will again include recognition in the sport of football by subdivision (i.e., Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision).

The APR provides a real-time look at a team's academic success each semester by tracking the academic progress of each student-athlete on scholarship. The APR accounts for eligibility, retention and graduation and provides a measure of each team's academic performance.

UNI football was dragging the school wide APR down because they were only at 962 and only second highest in the MVFC

BluBengal07
June 5th, 2015, 06:48 PM
meanwhile at Jackson State....

Three JSU Programs Recognized by NCAA for APR Performances
http://www.jsutigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=29000&ATCLID=210099994

JACKSON, Miss. – Three programs within the Jackson State University Division of Athletics have received public recognition from the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) for being in the top 10 percent, nationally in regards to Academic Progress Rate (APR) scores and achievement.
“This recognition demonstrates the credibility of our commitment to make the Jackson State University Division of Athletics a place where academics is a priority,” said Robert M. Walker, JSU’s Interim Director of Athletics. “This also shows that we can compete, successfully, on the national level with all other schools in Division I. We are proud of our student-athletes, as well as the coaches and university staff members who enable them to compete at a very high level.”
JSU’s men’s golf, women’s tennis and women’s cross country teams all received the recognition. This is the first year that the men’s golf program has received public recognition. This year’s recognition marks the fourth time for the Lady Tigers tennis program (2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12 and 2013-14) and the Lady Tigers cross country program (2004-05, 2010-11, 2012-13 and 2013-14)....

“Having three teams to receive public recognition from the NCAA shows that Jackson State University is committed to academic excellence,” said Assistant Director of Athletics for Academics Genese Lavalais. “We have increased the number of teams receiving this recognition from two teams to three. I am extremely proud of the achievements that JSU student-athletes continue to earn.”

Jackson State Athletics makes the grade in latest NCAA APR report
http://www.jsutigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=29000&ATCLID=210113187

JACKSON, Miss. –The NCAA released its Academic Progress Rates (APR) Wednesday afternoon and the Jackson State Division of Athletics continues to be a national leader in student-athlete academic progress. All 18 JSU sponsored sports met or surpassed NCAA APR standards...

JSU leads the state of Mississippi and the Southwestern Athletic Conference in APR. Thirty-four teams in Mississippi earned a perfect single-year score of 1000, eleven of those belonged to JSU (baseball, men’s cross country, men’s golf, softball, women basketball, bowling, women’s cross country, women’s tennis, women’s indoor and outdoor track and field and volleyball). This total increased by two teams for JSU from the APR report released last year. Forty-nine teams in the SWAC earned a single-year score of 1000 and eleven teams were from JSU.

Six Mississippi institutions earned a single-year score of 1000 and three of those teams belonged to JSU (men’s golf, women’s tennis and women’s cross country. Of the six teams from the SWAC to earn a multi-year score of 1000, three were from JSU. These three programs recently received public recognition from the NCAA. This number increased by one team from last year’s APR report.

"We had an awesome year,” said JSU’s Assistant Director of Athletics for Academics Genese Lavalais. “We had eleven teams to earn a single year score of 1000, three teams received public recognition from the NCAA and we did not have any APR penalties. Based on other scores in the Southwestern Athletic Conference (SWAC), JSU leads the conference in academic performance.”

JSU’s other single year APR scores are as follows: baseball (1000), football (963), men’s basketball (937), men’s cross country (1000), men’s golf (1000), men’s tennis (935), men’s track-indoor (954), men’s track-outdoor (954), softball (1000), women’s basketball (1000), bowling (1000), women’s cross country (1000), women’s golf (750), soccer (964), women’s tennis (1000), women’s track-indoor (1000), women’s track-outdoor (1000) and volleyball (1000).

Milktruck74
June 6th, 2015, 07:02 AM
Unless HBCU stands for Historically Baptist College or University then Gardner-Webb is out of luck.

My computer screen now has snot and coffee all over it!!!! Thanks for the clearing of my sinuses!!!!

kperk014
June 8th, 2015, 06:40 PM
Not football but UCA's basketball team fired its head coach and dismissed 11 of the 12 players last year and started over completely. That APR took a HUGE hit (600+) and the fans are GLAD because now we can establish a division I program that has a chance to compete in the SLC. What a joke they've been this past few years. Glad the football team is a conference leader!

They should get Scottie Pippin involved to help raise money and visibility.

clenz
June 8th, 2015, 11:33 PM
They should get Scottie Pippin involved to help raise money and visibility.
He's too busy blaming cops and hotels in Iowa City for being racists....because they arrested his daughter for pissing in the hotel lobby while drunk as ****

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk