PDA

View Full Version : Summer Football Recruiting

underdawg
May 26th, 2015, 07:40 PM
Visiting SIU Salukis this coming week: 6-7 370 pound OT La'Ray Davis of Contra Costa CC San Pablo CA

And 6-1 190 pound WR Jermel Walker of Riverside CC (CA)--former Oregon State offered--runs 4.3 second forty

underdawg
May 29th, 2015, 08:53 PM
Just signed will be here summer semester: 6-6 240 DE Devante Lee

BEAR
May 30th, 2015, 11:53 AM
UCA picked up some serious C.C. Defensive players. I'm changing my vote from 3rd in the SLC to second. If these kids pan out we are seriously playoff bound. Wasn't sure before yesterday but these new additions fill some holes and bring in 2 years of college football experience. Happy fan in bear land today.

underdawg
May 30th, 2015, 06:04 PM
Any Names? are they transfers?

BEAR
May 30th, 2015, 06:41 PM
Not posted on the roster yet but one of them was heavily recruited by the SEC before I guess he had grade problems. Don't know how he will do in the SLC but watching his video I'm impressed. I will post it here soon but I don't know the rules of when a transfer's name is allowed to be put out there. He's not all world but he will fill the holes we had.

underdawg
May 31st, 2015, 11:03 AM
Unless you are an NCAA football coach it's ok to mention recruits or signers--only coaches can't mention names till they sign an LOI

PaladinNation
June 2nd, 2015, 07:28 AM
Furman adds Brandon Maddox… transfer from Air Force Prep.
DT 6-4 274 played at North Augusta.

Here's the release: http://www.furmanpaladins.com/sports/m-footbl/2014-15/releases/20150520zd8k4z

Here's a video of some playoff action against Northwestern:
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/617102/highlights/107837882/v2

Note of interest: Maddox's father, Richard, was a first team All-PAC 10 football player at Arizona, where he captained the original "Desert Swarm" defense.

Catatonic
June 2nd, 2015, 07:42 AM
Abilene Christian has a couple of offers out. I have not heard whether they have signed or are enrolled for summer. One is a RS Freshman WR transfer from the BIG and the other a 3 to play 2 JUCO DB.

msupokes1
June 2nd, 2015, 07:48 AM
McNeese had Texas A&M DT transfer in the springs. Looks to be a great addition. They have 3 transfers coming in for the summer. 1 WR, 1 OT, and 1 QB. All 3 could make an immediate impact.

underdawg
June 3rd, 2015, 01:55 PM
SIU adds Tareq Abulebbeh 5-11" 185 CB (Mesa CC California) (4.4 forty, 7 ints in 5 games)

www.hudl.com/athlete/3866779/highlights/199427376/v2

clenz
June 3rd, 2015, 09:58 PM
I see SIU is winning the summer transfer period for the 10th straight year

Maybe someday all these recruits will start to win some games.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

underdawg
June 4th, 2015, 12:29 PM
With The Panthers record lately against even "poor" Saluki teams (2-7 over Lennons''s time there), I wouldn't start that track again if I were you

clenz
June 4th, 2015, 12:35 PM
With The Panthers record lately against even "poor" Saluki teams, I wouldn't start that track again if I were you
The way SIU pulls in FBS transfer and JUCO after JUCO All American it shouldn't even be a contest. Something like 80% of UNI's roster is kids from Iowa that went to schools with enrollments between 150 and 900...

Maybe someday SIU will win something worth actually showing up during the season for and be relevant again.

28-29 the last 5 years.

Like clockwork though here comes SIU fan between Jan and July talking about all their transfers that run 4.3 and 4.4 40 yard dash times...

underdawg
June 4th, 2015, 12:41 PM
www.hudl.com/athlete/3866779/highlights/199427376/v2

KPSUL
June 4th, 2015, 01:18 PM
www.hudl.com/athlete/3866779/highlights/199427376/v2 (http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3866779/highlights/199427376/v2)
I don't have a favorite dog (or cat) in the MVFC fight; however I have a lot more respect for the programs that stick with the kids they recruit, and rely on player development rather than bringing in a large number of Jr Col and FBS transfers.

Catatonic
June 4th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Abilene Christian has a couple of offers out. I have not heard whether they have signed or are enrolled for summer. One is a RS Freshman WR transfer from the BIG and the other a 3 to play 2 JUCO DB.

Cedric Dale RS Freshman WR/DB transfer from Purdue. 4 years eligibility. 3 star (247) in 2014.

The juco player we were recruiting is still taking visits.

centennial
June 4th, 2015, 02:02 PM
I don't have a favorite dog (or cat) in the MVFC fight; however I have a lot more respect for the programs that stick with the kids they recruit, and rely on player development rather than bringing in a large number of Jr Col and FBS transfers.
I feel that MVFC has started to rely more on transfers than it was a few years ago, cannot substantiate this. Also feel like NDSU, SDSU has caused the league to increase the football level.

clenz
June 4th, 2015, 02:28 PM
I feel that MVFC has started to rely more on transfers than it was a few years ago, cannot substantiate this. Also feel like NDSU, SDSU has caused the league to increase the football level.
It's caused the eastern schools to use it more.

UNI has more this year than the past couple years combined, but don't look for that to be a trend. That's more so the running back position being a major gap and the running back transfer bringing 2 high school teammates along with him. There are 14 transfers on UNIs roster right now, which is very high for UNI - 5 of them are FBS but 3 of them were high school teammates from Jersey and one of them (Darrian Miller) was high school teammates with guys who were previously on the roster or still on the roster (Deiondre' Hall). The rest are all JUCO or kids from D2/D3 schools that wanted to go to UNI and still play football. Of those 14 I would bet less than half see any significant PT.

I've looked at NDSU in the past as well. They tend to have between 8-10/12. Mostly from D2/D3 schools that want to be a part of NDSU even though they know they won't play.

Haven't looked at SDSU real close, but I'm betting they are much the same

centennial
June 4th, 2015, 03:09 PM
It's caused the eastern schools to use it more.

UNI has more this year than the past couple years combined, but don't look for that to be a trend. That's more so the running back position being a major gap and the running back transfer bringing 2 high school teammates along with him. There are 14 transfers on UNIs roster right now, which is very high for UNI - 5 of them are FBS but 3 of them were high school teammates from Jersey and one of them (Darrian Miller) was high school teammates with guys who were previously on the roster or still on the roster (Deiondre' Hall). The rest are all JUCO or kids from D2/D3 schools that wanted to go to UNI and still play football. Of those 14 I would bet less than half see any significant PT.

I've looked at NDSU in the past as well. They tend to have between 8-10/12. Mostly from D2/D3 schools that want to be a part of NDSU even though they know they won't play.

Haven't looked at SDSU real close, but I'm betting they are much the same
We have 7 total this year. Only from one BCS school but we recruited him, other one is from Montana State he is John Crockett's brother at WR. A lot of those D2/D3 kids contribute to the team just not as starters.

clenz
June 4th, 2015, 03:18 PM
We have 7 total this year. Only from one BCS school but we recruited him, other one is from Montana State he is John Crockett's brother at WR. A lot of those D2/D3 kids contribute to the team just not as starters.
Most years UNI is in the 8-12 range with most being JUCO/D2/D2 kids. Almost all of our transfers were high school teammates with guys on the team and/or recruited by UNI out of HS. Occasionally some come in that weren't but not too often

At one point in 2013...maybe 2014...this same topic came up and I did some looking and found that out of champions since 2005 or 2006 teams that won the title had a low number of transfers and very few that were major contributors during games.

It's why I don't trust SHSU to ever actually win a title. History dictates they have too many transfers, and rely too much on them, to make it actually happen

Kemo
June 5th, 2015, 01:40 AM
My count says SDSU has 7 transfers on the roster. 2 FBS (Army, Northern Illinois), 1 FCS (Murray State), and 4 Junior College.

The only transfer I recall starting a game for SDSU last year was Zach Lujan, and only when Sumner went down. Lujan spent one year playing JuCo ball before he arrived in Brookings.

Tribe4SF
June 5th, 2015, 06:52 AM
Two transfers so far for W&M.

Cory Huddleston, PK, Burke, VA Lake Braddock H.S., transfer from Pitt with 4 yrs. eligibility.

Shamir Bearfield, DB, Rahway, NJ St. Peter's Prep, transfer from Temple with 4 yrs. eligibility. 3-star who had offers from Michigan St., Rutgers, Vanderbilt and a number of FCS.

chattownmocs
June 6th, 2015, 06:34 AM
The mocs added their 5th tansfer of the year. OL Josh Cardiello from UGA. Sophomore.

OSBF
June 6th, 2015, 10:50 AM
If yer brock spak you just go to places like Bloomington IN, East Lansing, West Lafayette, Champaign, Iowa City, Abilene, etc etc etc

You go to the DA's office and you set up a card table and a couple of folding chairs and see what comes your way

UNH72Plus
June 6th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Just out of curiosity, are these summer signings picking up scholarships that weren't given out in the spring, or are they walk-ons, or what? It's not like most FCS teams have a lot of unused scholarships laying around.

clenz
June 6th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Just out of curiosity, are these summer signings picking up scholarships that weren't given out in the spring, or are they walk-ons, or what? It's not like most FCS teams have a lot of unused scholarships laying around.
You'd be shocked how many programs, and top level ones at that, only use 59 to 61 until fall camp rills around for cases like this

centennial
June 6th, 2015, 02:39 PM
If yer brock spak you just go to places like Bloomington IN, East Lansing, West Lafayette, Champaign, Iowa City, Abilene, etc etc etc

You go to the DA's office and you set up a card table and a couple of folding chairs and see what comes your way
LOL. Most teams would still want to avoid ISU, maybe that can be viewed as success.

SFA 93
June 8th, 2015, 06:23 PM
Jacks grab another FBS transfer from Kansas State that will add speed to the slot position.

Played against us last season, now playing for us.

http://a57.foxnews.com/global.fncstatic.com/static/managed/img/fn2/feeds/Associated%20Press/2014/09/03/0/0/APTOPIX%20Stephen%20F%20Austin%20Kansas%20St%20Foo tball-2.jpg
WR: Judah Jones 5-11; 180 Shreveport, Louisiana (Evangel/Kansas State) (So.)

Prior to SFA: Three Star Recruit (Rivals) Spent two seasons at Kansas State, redshirting in 2013 … Appeared in 10 games in 2014 with four catches for 51 yards, averaging 12.8 yards per touch ... Rushed twice for 24 yards in the season opener against SFA … Second team Academic All-Big 12 selection … Attended Evangel Christian High School … Caught 43 passes for 728 yards and six touchdowns as a senior … Recorded over 1,000 all-purpose yards with 16 touchdowns as a junior, earning all-district honors … Helped the Eagles advance to the Louisiana 2A state semifinals in 2011 ... Coached by Phillip Deas … Plays drums for highly successful Christian band, forever JONES, formed by his parents Dewitt and Kim Jones … Band was nominated for two Grammy Awards in 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDvDd-hGzWY

SFA 93
June 8th, 2015, 06:57 PM
​So far for the Jacks...

FBS Transfer
QB: Jake Gnacinski 6-2; 220 (Fr.) ** (Rivals) Army
RB: Spencer Cowley 6-2; 215 (Jr.) North Texas
WR: Judah Jones 5-11; 180 (So.) *** (Rivals) Kansas State
WR: Cole Carter 6-1; 190 (So.) West Virginia
TE: Lucas Askew 6-6; 235 (Fr.) ** (Rivals) Texas State
DT: Anthony Lee 6-1; 285 (So.) ** (Rivals) UTSA
CB: Tarrin Mitchell 5-10; 180 (Fr.) *** (ESPN) #91 CB; Houston
S: Germod Williams 5-11; 190 (Jr.) *** (Rivals) Texas State

JUCO
CB: Tre Rosser 5-10; 180 (Jr.) *** (Rivals) All-Conference
S: Zack Starnes 5-9; 184 (Jr.) JUCO All-American; Conference Defensive POY
LB: George Stone 6-1; 220 (Jr.) ** (Scout) Top 150 LB
DE: Darrell Vanerson 6-3; 280 (Jr.) *** (Rivals) #9 SDE; #29 State
WR: Edwin Mims Jr. 5-8; 180 (Jr.)
WR: De'Quann Ruffin 6-2; 190 (Jr.) ** (Rivals)
RB: D.J. Witherspoon 5-10; 190 (Jr.)

n

Catatonic
June 8th, 2015, 07:24 PM
''

All from Summer recruiting?

​So far for the Jacks...

FBS Transfer
QB: Jake Gnacinski 6-2; 220 (Fr.) ** (Rivals) Army
RB: Spencer Cowley 6-2; 215 (Jr.) North Texas
WR: Judah Jones 5-11; 180 (So.) *** (Rivals) Kansas State
WR: Cole Carter 6-1; 190 (So.) West Virginia
TE: Lucas Askew 6-6; 235 (Fr.) ** (Rivals) Texas State
DT: Anthony Lee 6-1; 285 (So.) ** (Rivals) UTSA
CB: Tarrin Mitchell 5-10; 180 (Fr.) *** (ESPN) #91 CB; Houston
S: Germod Williams 5-11; 190 (Jr.) *** (Rivals) Texas State
WR: Edwin Mims Jr. 5-8; 180 (Jr.)
WR: De'Quann Ruffin 6-2; 190 (Jr.) ** (Rivals)
RB: D.J. Witherspoon 5-10; 190 (Jr.)

JUCO
CB: Tre Rosser 5-10; 180 (Jr.) *** (Rivals) All-Conference
S: Zack Starnes 5-9; 184 (Jr.) JUCO All-American; Conference Defensive POY
LB: George Stone 6-1; 220 (Jr.) ** (Scout) Top 150 LB
DE: Darrell Vanerson 6-3; 280 (Jr.) *** (Rivals) #9 SDE; #29 State

n

BEAR
June 8th, 2015, 08:37 PM
''

Yep. Clamp Crunk got the S.S. Transfer trolling the merry seas of Texas! xdrunkyx

Catatonic
June 9th, 2015, 06:02 AM
''

Yep. Clamp Crunk got the S.S. Transfer trolling the merry seas of Texas! xdrunkyx

Did he rely this heavily on transfers at UCA?

Sammy94
June 9th, 2015, 08:14 AM

I guess he figures if Keeler can perfect it, he can to. He will fit in very well at SFA, always looking to see how SHSU does things.

Rumor is we have another. Codie Brooks from UTSA, former 2013 honorable mention All-Conference USA,
2013 Conference USA All-Freshman Team member.

http://ww4.hdnux.com/photos/23/52/00/5152795/7/960x540.jpg

BEAR
June 9th, 2015, 10:03 AM
Did he rely this heavily on transfers at UCA?

I'd say no only because we hadn't been post season eligible until 2010. We still had a ton of D2 guys left. I did notice as we moved toward his last years he got more and more. But then it looks like many schools are going that route in the SLC. No biggie. Whatever works. Even transfers need a place to play. We have many on our team now too.

Sammy94
June 15th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Not sure how KC does it but here is yet another summer transfer.

Kansas 2014 (Fr.): Started four games and led the team in rushing netting 631 yards and scoring five touchdowns on 151 carries… Made his Jayhawk debut carrying the ball 19 times, gaining 91 yards and scoring a touchdown in a win against SEMO... Led the field with 16 carries and recorded a team-high 87 yards at Duke... Had 11 carries for 35 yards against Central Michigan, also had one reception for a 30-yard touchdown - the first receiving score of his career... Carried the ball eight times for 39 yards against Texas... Ran 17 times for 58 yards and a touchdown at West Virginia... Scored a touchdown on a team-high 38 yards over 10 carries, along with a 17-yard reception against Oklahoma State... Ran a team-high 15 times netting 69 yards, while having two catches for 10 yards at Texas Tech... Had a team-high 11 carries for 18 yards and caught a career-best four passes for a team and career-high 92 yards at Baylor... Named KU's Co-Offensive Player of the Week vs. the Bears... Surpassed the 100-yard mark for the first time in his career after carrying 17 times for 103 yards and a touchdown in a win over Iowa State... Scored his fifth touchdown of the season while carrying the ball 10 times for 27 yards against TCU... Netted 38 yards on 11 carries at Oklahoma… Also had two catches for 32 yards at OU... Rushed six times for 28 yards at K-State.

High School: Rated a four-star prospect by ESPN.com... Tabbed a three-star standout by Rivals.com and Scout.com... ESPN ranked him the 35-best running back in the nation and the 44th-best player in the state of Texas... Rated the 43rd-best athlete in the Class of 2014 and 87th-best player in the state of Texas by Rivals.com... Named to Vype Magazine’s DFW Top 100 for 2014 list... Two-time district Most Valuable Player... Carried the ball 158 times for 1,667 yards and 18 touchdowns in 2013... Credited with 16 receptions for 249 yards and four scores... Rushed for 839 yards and 13 TDs on 131 carries as a junior... Also hauled in 29 catches for 395 yards and six TDs in 2012... Coached by Patrick Williams.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/qvh8fp/picture3520731/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/Kansas%20Baylor%20Footbal_Schm.jpg

GoneFishing
June 15th, 2015, 04:15 PM
Not sure how KC does it but here is yet another summer transfer.

Kansas 2014 (Fr.): Started four games and led the team in rushing netting 631 yards and scoring five touchdowns on 151 carries… Made his Jayhawk debut carrying the ball 19 times, gaining 91 yards and scoring a touchdown in a win against SEMO... Led the field with 16 carries and recorded a team-high 87 yards at Duke... Had 11 carries for 35 yards against Central Michigan, also had one reception for a 30-yard touchdown - the first receiving score of his career... Carried the ball eight times for 39 yards against Texas... Ran 17 times for 58 yards and a touchdown at West Virginia... Scored a touchdown on a team-high 38 yards over 10 carries, along with a 17-yard reception against Oklahoma State... Ran a team-high 15 times netting 69 yards, while having two catches for 10 yards at Texas Tech... Had a team-high 11 carries for 18 yards and caught a career-best four passes for a team and career-high 92 yards at Baylor... Named KU's Co-Offensive Player of the Week vs. the Bears... Surpassed the 100-yard mark for the first time in his career after carrying 17 times for 103 yards and a touchdown in a win over Iowa State... Scored his fifth touchdown of the season while carrying the ball 10 times for 27 yards against TCU... Netted 38 yards on 11 carries at Oklahoma… Also had two catches for 32 yards at OU... Rushed six times for 28 yards at K-State.

High School: Rated a four-star prospect by ESPN.com... Tabbed a three-star standout by Rivals.com and Scout.com... ESPN ranked him the 35-best running back in the nation and the 44th-best player in the state of Texas... Rated the 43rd-best athlete in the Class of 2014 and 87th-best player in the state of Texas by Rivals.com... Named to Vype Magazine’s DFW Top 100 for 2014 list... Two-time district Most Valuable Player... Carried the ball 158 times for 1,667 yards and 18 touchdowns in 2013... Credited with 16 receptions for 249 yards and four scores... Rushed for 839 yards and 13 TDs on 131 carries as a junior... Also hauled in 29 catches for 395 yards and six TDs in 2012... Coached by Patrick Williams.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-kansas/qvh8fp/picture3520731/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/Kansas%20Baylor%20Footbal_Schm.jpg

Didn't get a QB transfer from UAB Briscoe?

centennial
June 15th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Sam fans how is the 2016 recruiting going? I imagine that recruits wouldn't be excited by working up the system then getting replaced by a FBS transfer in the depth chart. What about the culture? Some FBS kids that you bring in have issues, it takes just one bad apple..

underdawg
June 15th, 2015, 05:47 PM
Sam fans how is the 2016 recruiting going? I imagine that recruits wouldn't be excited by working up the system then getting replaced by a FBS transfer in the depth chart. What about the culture? Some FBS kids that you bring in have issues, it takes just one bad apple..

There is (IMO) this false notion that transfers (JUCO and FBS) are more of a problem to team chemistry than Frosh--I'd say there is little difference between transfers and Frosh as far as number of "bad apples"--BUT, if you use a lot of JR/Sr transfers that MIGHT affect chemistry in that lower levels on the roster (Frosh-Soph) may get depleted. But I remember in the 80's WEstern Illinois made it work very well with transfers

Sammy94
June 16th, 2015, 08:05 AM

If a kid believes he isn't good enough to beat out a transfer or anyone else let him go to SFA. I hope we recruit the guys that think they are the best. Transfers are not a new thing for SHSU fans. Fritz even had a dozen or so, remember a guy by the name of Tim Flanders???

Sammy94
June 16th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Didn't get a QB transfer from UAB Briscoe?

Yes, he has been here since January and went thru spring football so I don't consider him a summer recruit.

GoneFishing
June 16th, 2015, 10:57 AM
Yes, he has been here since January and went thru spring football so I don't consider him a summer recruit.
Good point and thanks. I remember him playing HS football a few years ago and have a strong arm. Does he have a chance to start?

centennial
June 16th, 2015, 11:14 AM
There is (IMO) this false notion that transfers (JUCO and FBS) are more of a problem to team chemistry than Frosh--I'd say there is little difference between transfers and Frosh as far as number of "bad apples"--BUT, if you use a lot of JR/Sr transfers that MIGHT affect chemistry in that lower levels on the roster (Frosh-Soph) may get depleted. But I remember in the 80's WEstern Illinois made it work very well with transfers
Transfers are transferring because of a reason. Most of the high value 3-5 stared kids are doing it for disipline, legal issues. Freshman that you are recruiting haven't exhibited these.

If a kid believes he isn't good enough to beat out a transfer or anyone else let him go to SFA. I hope we recruit the guys that think they are the best. Transfers are not a new thing for SHSU fans. Fritz even had a dozen or so, remember a guy by the name of Tim Flanders???
That is all good in theory but it's easy to miss on recruits that might consider SHSU a gamble. I can understand the potential upside for a FCS team, I just think that we should limit transfers to 10% of the roster. It would force teams to develop more home grown talent. Add to that ESPN doesn't do us any favors by repeatedly calling out the transfers in televised games..

Catatonic
June 16th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Transfers are transferring because of a reason. Most of the high value 3-5 stared kids are doing it for disipline, legal issues. Freshman that you are recruiting haven't exhibited these.

That is all good in theory but it's easy to miss on recruits that might consider SHSU a gamble. I can understand the potential upside for a FCS team, I just think that we should limit transfers to 10% of the roster. It would force teams to develop more home grown talent. Add to that ESPN doesn't do us any favors by repeatedly calling out the transfers in televised games..

A lot of summer transfers are a result of post spring practice depth charts. Players who find themselves buried beyond first or second string start to look for more playing time elsewhere.

Sammy94
June 16th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Good point and thanks. I remember him playing HS football a few years ago and have a strong arm. Does he have a chance to start?

Johnson had surgery and didn't play much during the spring. Briscoe saw most of the snaps during the spring and showed signs of why he had Baylor, OU, etc interested in him. He throws an accurate deep ball, something Johnson had trouble with most of the year last season. If Johnson has improved that aspect of his game then Johnson will be the man, if not who knows? I still see Johnson starting but if we ever need to pass more , Briscoe will see some action.

Sam_Kats
June 16th, 2015, 03:56 PM
SIGH

BisonTru
June 16th, 2015, 04:36 PM

Here's my thoughts. SHSU and most of the Southland conference would be foolish not to take a hard look at FBS transfers. A lot of FBS players are recruited from that region and some are going to be looking to transfer. Come play close to home, don't have to sit a year, easy sell.

Now there are two main categories of FBS transfers. Kids looking for playing time/buried on the depth chart, and kids in trouble/suspended. If you're bringing in a lot of kids from the first group, I'd expect few issues. On the other hand if most of your transfers fall in the second category, I'd expect some turmoil down the road.

With that, IMO, the NCAA should have different transfer rules based on your standing at your previous school. If you are transferring in good standing at your previous school the rules would be the same, but if you are suspended or subject to a lengthy discipline at your previous school you should sit an extra year.

Transfer to FBS: Good standing sit 1 year, Suspended sit 2 years
Transfer to FCS: Good standing no wait, Suspended sit 1 year

parr90
June 17th, 2015, 09:11 AM

SFA had several transfers on their 1989 NC runner up team. I believe several of them came over from SMU. If Im not mistaken, SFA got in to some hot water over that situation, dont remember. That team was loaded with talent though. Not all the talent were transfers but to list a few were.............Larry Centers, who started in the NFL and may have been All Pro, I know he led the league at some point in all purpose yrds. David Whitmore, LB. The QB who went to Atlanta and was on their roster a couple years, he was very good. The offensive center and guard were two of the best I had ever played against, and that includes Florida St. A defensive end, cant think his name, that was great.
That was the closest game we played in and won in my 4 years.

parr90
June 17th, 2015, 09:14 AM
Here's my thoughts. SHSU and most of the Southland conference would be foolish not to take a hard look at FBS transfers. A lot of FBS players are recruited from that region and some are going to be looking to transfer. Come play close to home, don't have to sit a year, easy sell.

Now there are two main categories of FBS transfers. Kids looking for playing time/buried on the depth chart, and kids in trouble/suspended. If you're bringing in a lot of kids from the first group, I'd expect few issues. On the other hand if most of your transfers fall in the second category, I'd expect some turmoil down the road.

With that, IMO, the NCAA should have different transfer rules based on your standing at your previous school. If you are transferring in good standing at your previous school the rules would be the same, but if you are suspended or subject to a lengthy discipline at your previous school you should sit an extra year.

Transfer to FBS: Good standing sit 1 year, Suspended sit 2 years
Transfer to FCS: Good standing no wait, Suspended sit 1 year

There are too some transfers that do so because they were highly touted and end up not being what they were thought to be, so transfer only to find out their not good enough at the FCS level as well.

SFA 93
June 18th, 2015, 08:32 AM
1989 was a great year!

#3 SFA – 1989 (National Finalist; SLC Champions) 12-2-1; 5-0-1
W: 41-28 @Jackson State
L: 12-23 @Boise State
W: 24-7 Nicholls State
W: 44-20 @Lamar
W: 32-21 Texas State
W: 35-16 @North Texas
W: 42-14 @McNeese State
W: 42-36 @Eastern Washington
W: 45-7 Sam Houston State
W: 66-45 Northeast Louisiana
T: 17-17 Northwestern State

PLAYOFFS
W: 59-56 Grambling State
W: 55-25 Southwest Missouri State
W: 21-19 @Furman
L: 34-37 @Georgia Southern

Lead by SLC Player of the Year

QB: Todd Hammel 6-1; 220 Durant, Oklahoma (Durant) SFA

- 1989 SLC POY; 1st Team All-Conference
- SFA Career:YDS:8,631; TD:64
- 1990 NFL Draft – Round 12 (307 Overall Pick) Tampa Bay Bucs
- 1993 AFL All-Star
- AFL CAREER:CMP:2,255;ATT:3,964; YDS:28,022;TD:442;INT:150;RTD:64
- Retired from the Area Football League in 2011

Tons of talent on that team...

OL: Bo Alexander (1985-1989)
OL: Greg Bryant (1986-1989)
OL: Jeff Jackson (1985-1989) All-American
QB: Todd Hammel (1985-1989) SLC POY; NFL;AFL
RB: Larry Centers (1987-1989) NFL
WR: Pat Jackson (1986-1990) NFL
FS: David Whitmore (1985-1989) All-American; NFL
Anthony Landry (1985-1989) NFL
DT: Roderick Stansell (1987-1989)
LB: David Temple
TE: Derrick Wright
K: Chuck Rawlison NFL
Mike Alexander (1985-1989)

Hopefully get to enjoy another season like that.

Nickels
June 18th, 2015, 10:36 AM
SHSU added another...

Hunter Brown an ILB from WVU. Has four years eligibility left.

GoneFishing
June 18th, 2015, 12:42 PM
SHSU added another...

Hunter Brown an ILB from WVU. Has four years eligibility left.

Cypress Bay (FL) linebacker and long snapper Hunter Brown has committed to be a preferred walk-on at WVU this fall. His highlights are below.
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/379669/highlights/73564396 (http://westvirginia.247sports.com/tu/MTA5NzY2dGlueTI0Nw==)

Sam_Kats
June 18th, 2015, 03:39 PM
Yeah, anytime you lead with the long snapping abilities on your HL film, probably not good.

But who knows

underdawg
June 19th, 2015, 07:38 AM
Yeah, anytime you lead with the long snapping abilities on your HL film, probably not good.

But who knows

Try going without a reliable LS one season and see where your team finishes--but I get your drift on films

GoneFishing
June 19th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Try going without a reliable LS one season and see where your team finishes--but I get your drift on films
Every team better have a good one for sure.

PaladinNation
June 22nd, 2015, 09:46 AM
Furman received it's first verbal for 2016…
Avery Armstrong QB Dreher HS
6-0 185 Dual Threat
https://youtu.be/BPDTL5XTGGM

pokefan02
June 22nd, 2015, 12:52 PM

McNeese signed a long snapper in February to replace a four year starter at that position.

Sent from my HTC M8

underdawg
June 22nd, 2015, 06:37 PM
Finally the summer 2015 roster is out: 6-6 230 DE Devante Lee; Matt McIntosh 6-1 215 QB (dual threat) from NIU are on it---Tareq Abulebbeh (5'11"185 CB) will be added by end of summer (JUCO)

www.hudl.com/athlete/3866779/tareq-abulebbeh (all from this season)

SFA 93
June 23rd, 2015, 07:09 AM
Jacks add Baylor transfer OL: Devonte Jones.

http://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/195/657/7_657195.jpg
Devonte Jones (http://www.sfajacks.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/devonte_jones_971437.html)
6-2 • 305 • Freshman • Offensive Lineman
Houston, Texas (Bellaire/Baylor)

Prior to SFA: Spent one semester at Baylor, participating in 2015 spring drills ... Three year letterwinner at Bellaire High School ... Two-time all-district selection, earning first team nod as a senior ... Recorded second team honors as a junior ... Helped lead the Cardinals to an 8-3 record and the bi-district finals in 2013 ... Coached by Trey Sissom ... Rated nation's 74th-best guard prospect by 247Sports and 81st by both ESPN and Scout ... Three-star recruit by both 247Sports and Rivals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmRnev7Ysgc

clenz
June 23rd, 2015, 07:55 AM
All these FBS transfers in the SLC and SIU.

Top 5 teams in the nation should come from this group, right?

underdawg
June 23rd, 2015, 03:41 PM
All these FBS transfers in the SLC and SIU.

Top 5 teams in the nation should come from this group, right?

Or maybe the purple pussy cats;

UNI's 2015 transfers:

Dalton Demos Hutchinson CC

Bryon Rich Fort Scott CC

Jarvis Holley Fort Dodge CC

Chris Schleuger Iowa Western CC

Brandon Napoleon University Of West Virginia

DJ Singleton University of Nebraska--so far

clenz
June 23rd, 2015, 05:59 PM
I see a bunch of JUCO kids....

Houndawg
June 23rd, 2015, 07:24 PM
I see a bunch of JUCO kids....

...but can they choke at this level....

AmsterBison
June 24th, 2015, 07:52 AM
Looks like Youngstown State got a transfer in from Michigan State.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/23/mich-st-s-jalyn-powell-will-reportedly-transfer-to-youngstown-state/

centexguy
June 24th, 2015, 11:07 AM
LAMAR has a few summer transfers as well:

6'4" 290 OL Dante Cattaneo, Santa Rosa JC
6'3" 300 DT Larry Carroll, Kilgore JC
5'8" 215 RB Luis Lopez, Trinity Valley CC

Transfers signed earlier:

QBs Joe Minden (SFA) and Carson Earp (Navarro JC)
WRs Brendan Langley (Georgia) and Dominique Wheeler (Texas Tech)
LB Cameron Hampton (Texas)
OL Matt Oubre (ULM) and Cody Elenz (Idaho)

SFA 93
June 24th, 2015, 02:46 PM
Hope Joe starts for you guys, as he is a great kid and quarterback, just wasn't getting the playing time at SFA.

underdawg
June 24th, 2015, 04:48 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gijWOPnL30

Mostly in mop-up duty for NIU All-American QB Jordan Lynch over the years

centexguy
June 24th, 2015, 05:10 PM
Hope Joe starts for you guys, as he is a great kid and quarterback, just wasn't getting the playing time at SFA.

He's listed as the starter on the depth chart coming out of spring practice and it's almost certain he'll start in the fall. It's either him, Earp (the JUCO transfer) or one of the incoming freshmen.

I noticed you live in Leander, so do I. Small world!

DFW HOYA
June 25th, 2015, 07:21 AM
Columbia got a transfer QB from Florida.

http://www.alligatorarmy.com/2015/5/13/8599739/skyler-mornhinweg-transfer-florida-gators-columbia-lions

The Lions have lost 21 in a row but it's probably 50/50 they break that streak in week two this season.

Catatonic
July 2nd, 2015, 10:59 AM
ACU has signed four players over the summer: a rs-f transfer DB from Purdue; two jucos. one a DB and the other a WR/DB; and a Freshman DB

ACU was the worst team in the SLC in pass defense last year. We lost out on several DB's at the last minute during the Feb. signing period and one of the two star guys we signed was in a car accident that left him paralyzed. We lost a starting CB over the summer to academics. So most of our signings are to shore up depleted ranks at our weakest position group.

Cedric Dale. RS F transfer Purdue. 3 Star (247) Safety/CB

Jabari Butler F 3 Star (Rivals). CB

Richard Griffin transfer Cisco JC SS/CB

Carl Whitley transfer Cisco JC WR/CB

Daved
July 3rd, 2015, 08:07 PM
Looks like Youngstown State got a transfer in from Michigan State.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/23/mich-st-s-jalyn-powell-will-reportedly-transfer-to-youngstown-state/They are also getting Safety LeRoy Anderson from Nebraska.

parr90
July 6th, 2015, 10:12 AM
LAMAR has a few summer transfers as well:

6'4" 290 OL Dante Cattaneo, Santa Rosa JC
6'3" 300 DT Larry Carroll, Kilgore JC
5'8" 215 RB Luis Lopez, Trinity Valley CC

Transfers signed earlier:

QBs Joe Minden (SFA) and Carson Earp (Navarro JC)
WRs Brendan Langley (Georgia) and Dominique Wheeler (Texas Tech)
LB Cameron Hampton (Texas)
OL Matt Oubre (ULM) and Cody Elenz (Idaho)

Didnt realize Langley had left UGA. I believe he was a 4 star recruit. He got moved around at Georgia allot from safety to corner, WR. and think he never got settled in at a position. Which isnt hard at Georgia considering all the talent they have there.

Daved
July 12th, 2015, 12:13 PM
They are also getting Safety LeRoy Anderson from Nebraska.YSU also getting 4 star DE Elijah Daniels from Auburn.

underdawg
July 12th, 2015, 01:03 PM
good luck with this guy--hope he behaves

Catatonic
July 12th, 2015, 02:33 PM
YSU also getting 4 star DE Elijah Daniels from Auburn.

Isn't he still facing 6 or 7 felony charges?

Daved
July 12th, 2015, 10:00 PM
Isn't he still facing 6 or 7 felony charges?Not sure--I will have to research that--sometimes a high number of stars results in a lower number of charges.

Daved
July 12th, 2015, 10:02 PM
good luck with this guy--hope he behavesMe too---I believe in giving second chances but never thirds.

Catatonic
July 13th, 2015, 03:28 AM
Not sure--I will have to research that--sometimes a high number of stars results in a lower number of charges.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12809621/auburn-dismisses-defensive-end-elijah-daniel-arrest

I, too, believe in second chances. Daniel was just charged though and his case is still pending. With 6 felony charges. it seems premature to be offering a second chance.

That's just as a casual observation. Coaches are obviously in a better position to know particulars and are in a better position to make sound calls than any of us could with limited knowledge.

Anyway, I wish him and YSU well. Sometimes a brush with the law is all a kid needs to wise up and turn his life around instead. Hope that's the case here.

underdawg
July 13th, 2015, 07:17 AM
Me too---I believe in giving second chances but never thirds.

We've had a few guys like this too. Most realize it's their last chance and tow the line--and have helped the team

lionsrking2
July 13th, 2015, 06:11 PM
Southeastern Louisiana adds U of Miami transfer OL, Taylor Gadbois, 6-8, 320, Jr ... started 5 games for the Hurricanes in 2014 before season ending knee injury ... will have two years to play two. Reunites him with our new O-line coach, Matt Applebaum, and fills need on the O-line.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-hurricanes/sfl-former-um-ol-taylor-gadbois-headed-to-southeastern-louisiana-20150713-story.html

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/200/files/2015/06/taylor-gadbois.pnghttp://www.trbimg.com/img-55a43128/turbine/sfl-taylor-gadbois-at-louisville-20150713/450/253x450http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0625%2Fncf_a_gadbois_d1_12 96x1296.jpg

SFA 93
July 17th, 2015, 06:03 AM
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/sasu/sports/m-footbl/auto_headshot/11217950.jpeg
DT:#94 Demetrion Amie 6-5; 275 Forth Worth, Texas (Hill School) (RS/Fr.) Transfer from TCU

Spent one season at TCU, utilizing his redshirt year ... Two year letterwinner at the Hill School of Fort Worth, playing six-man football ... Two-time all-state and all-district selection ... Coached by Cody Hanson and Sheldon Jackson ... Also lettered four years in basketball ... Three-time all-state and all-district selection ... Led Hill School to a state championship as a senior

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Texas+Tech+v+TCU+wTXdUwFL1TVl.jpg

So far Conque has brought in and not just the summer...

QB:#15
Jake Gnacinski
6-2
Fr.
** (Rivals)/Army; #139 QB (247Sports)

n

RB:#
Spencer Cowley
6-2
Jr.
Transfer from North Texas

n

WR:#83
De'Quann Ruffin
6-2
Jr.
** (Rivals) JUCO

n

WR:#21
Judah Jones
5-11
So.
*** (Rivals) / Kansas State

n

WR:#11
A.J. Jones
6-2
So.
*** (247Sports) #99 ATH/ Iowa

n

WR:#41
Cole Carter
6-1
So.
Transfer from West Virginia

n

TE:#84
Lucas Askew
6-6
Fr.
** (Rivals) #95 TE (247Sports)/Texas State

n

OL:#71
Devonte Jones
6-2
Fr.
*** (247Sports) #68 OG

n

DE:#96
Darrell Vanerson
6-3
Jr.
*** (Rivals) #9 SDE; #29 State JUCO

n

LB:#4
George Stone
6-1
Jr.
JUCO ** (Scout) Top 150 LB (247Sports) #18 OLB

n

S:#6
Zack Starnes
5-9
Jr.
JUCO All-American; Conference Defensive POY

n

S:#3
Germod Williams
5-11
Jr.
*** (Rivals)/Texas State (247Sports) #140 S

n

CB:#7
Hipolito Corporan
6-1
Jr.
*** (Rivals) #96 CB (247Sports)/Utah

n

CB:#1
Tre Rosser
5-10
Jr.
*** (Rivals) JUCO

n

CB:#20
Tarrin Mitchell
5-10
Fr
*** (ESPN) #91 CB; (247Sports) #84 CB/Houston

n

n

lionsrking2
July 17th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Southeastern Louisiana adds Justin Alo, 6-2, 195, QB, Mt. San Antonio JC, to the 2015 signing class. Originally signed with U of Hawaii out of Carson HS in Los Angeles, Ca ... will have two to play two.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1330062/justin-alo

http://lionsports.net/news/2015/7/16/FB_0716150732.aspx

Nodak78
July 22nd, 2015, 08:16 PM
Jahmere Ervin-Sills DB transfers from Mississippi State to UND.

underdawg
July 22nd, 2015, 09:38 PM
6-4 290 pound OLineman Reid Sealby of University of Iowa transfers in--also a long snapper

lionsrking2
July 25th, 2015, 08:18 PM
SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

According to his tweet, looks like we've added Donovan Isom, 6-4, 245, QB, redshirt freshman, U of Utah ... local kid from Destrehan, La. who is coming back home after his home burned down earlier this summer. Big, strong guy with a big arm ... he'll have four years of eligibility remaining.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2857492/highlights/65592380/v2
http://sports.yahoo.com/tcu/football/recruiting/player-Donovan-Isom-132416
http://247sports.com/Player/Donovan-Isom-16969

http://www.sltrib.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=$cLBM 0C2lbZex5FVS8eths$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtgWvtEqQDUrHU t60e30E12WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg

Daved
August 4th, 2015, 12:17 PM
YSU also getting 4 star DE Elijah Daniels from Auburn.Daniels has decided to go to Murray State.Solomon Warfield a DB from Iowa is transferring to YSU.

Catatonic
August 9th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Looks like ACU has added a 4th summer transfer: Safety Cordell Dorsey 6'3 190, RS-FR transfer from Baylor. Dorsey is from Abilene.

Catatonic
August 10th, 2015, 05:14 AM
SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA

According to his tweet, looks like we've added Donovan Isom, 6-4, 245, QB, redshirt freshman, U of Utah ... local kid from Destrehan, La. who is coming back home after his home burned down earlier this summer. Big, strong guy with a big arm ... he'll have four years of eligibility remaining.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2857492/highlights/65592380/v2
http://sports.yahoo.com/tcu/football/recruiting/player-Donovan-Isom-132416
http://247sports.com/Player/Donovan-Isom-16969

http://www.sltrib.com/csp/mediapool/sites/dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls?STREAMOID=$cLBM 0C2lbZex5FVS8eths$daE2N3K4ZzOUsqbU5sYtgWvtEqQDUrHU t60e30E12WCsjLu883Ygn4B49Lvm9bPe2QeMKQdVeZmXF$9l$4 uCZ8QDXhaHEp3rvzXRJFdy0KqPHLoMevcTLo3h8xh70Y6N_U_C ryOsw6FTOdKL_jpQ-&CONTENTTYPE=image/jpeg
Heard a rumor that you might be on the verge of picking up a big lineman from LSU.

lionsrking2
August 10th, 2015, 09:36 AM
Heard a rumor that you might be on the verge of picking up a big lineman from LSU.

5th year senior, depends on whether he gets admitted to grad school or not.

Sammy94
August 10th, 2015, 11:55 AM
Transfers who have joined the Bearkats this summer include running back Cory Avery from Kansas, defensive end Codi Brooks from UTSA, linebacker Hunter Brown and offensive lineman Tyler Tezeno from West Virginia, offensive lineman Sam Hardy from Wyoming, cornerback Michael Jacob from Louisiana Tech, wide receiver Blake Webb from Oklahoma State and defensive back Duran Workman from Nevada.

SFA 93
August 10th, 2015, 10:00 PM
QB: Ryan Cottengame 6-3: 220 Sunnyvale, Texas R/Fr. transfer from Trinity Valley Community College just joined the team.

- AP All-State Team (HM)
- Academic All-State Team
- 1st Team All-District player (6-2A) in football, baseball, and basketball
- Academic All-District

GP:35;ATT:556;CMP:353;YDS:5,157;TD:55;INT:18/R:165;YDS:700;AVG:4.2;TD:7

SFA 93
August 10th, 2015, 10:14 PM
Interesting, got one from Southeastern Louisiana.

Transfer LB: Gary Sampson 6-3; 255 Covington, Louisiana

-2X All State player
-District's Defensive MVP averaging 10 tackles and 2 sacks a game.
-Part of SE Louisiana's 2015 Recruiting Class.

Will play DE for the Jacks.

He must know our other linebacker Chance Barney who is also from Covington.

eiu1999
August 11th, 2015, 11:52 AM
QB: Ryan Cottengame 6-3: 220 Sunnyvale, Texas R/Fr. transfer from Trinity Valley Community College just joined the team.

- AP All-State Team (HM)
- Academic All-State Team
- 1st Team All-District player (6-2A) in football, baseball, and basketball
- Academic All-District

GP:35;ATT:556;CMP:353;YDS:5,157;TD:55;INT:18/R:165;YDS:700;AVG:4.2;TD:7

Nice last name.