PDA

View Full Version : Mel Kiper on Carson Wentz

Flunkee
May 16th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Mel Kiper on ESPN radio just put Carson in the top 5 quarterbacks in the nation on the radio. Thoughts? I'm really surprised he is almost putting him in the first round.

Had to edit went back and he said top 5 at his position.

smallcollegefbfan
May 16th, 2015, 10:02 AM
Mel Kiper on ESPN radio just put Carson in the top 5 quarterbacks in the nation on the radio. Thoughts? I'm really surprised he is almost putting him in the first round.

Had to edit went back and he said top 5 at his position.

I assume he is talking just seniors? If so, that is far from first round. You have to look at the depth of the position year by year. This past year the #3 QB was more of a 2nd-3rd round value.

For example, if I rank him #5 among senior QBs and then 3 juniors declare who are definite first rounders, there is a good chance he is more like a 5th round pick because he would then drop to #8. Wentz is good and he will definitely get NFL looks. This year FCS has a lot of QBs who will get strong looks. I can name at least 5 or 6 who are on NFL watch lists right now.

Thundar
May 16th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Too high, I love Carson but I don't see first round potential...

Just me but I hope I'm wrong

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 16th, 2015, 02:39 PM
Too high, I love Carson but I don't see first round potential...

Just me but I hope I'm wrong

Maybe, but the kid is a 4.0 student. Very smart kid.

IMO, he has 1st round potential.

Drblankstare
May 16th, 2015, 02:40 PM
Wentz has loads of talent and if he has a good Sr year he should get drafted, but 1st round would be a hell of stretch. It would take at least one GM failing in love with him and really sticking their neck out for an FCS QB. Not likely. IMO

Flunkee
May 16th, 2015, 03:02 PM
No I went back and listened to the podcast of Dari and Mel, he said the only player in FCS at any position ranked in his top five at any position. It was on this morning. Go to ESPN and listen. He is really high on Carson. And I agree first round would be too high for a FCS QB. But was just surprised he's getting noticed by the draft guru.

BisonTru
May 16th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Podcast this morning Kiper has Wentz at #3 for senior QBs. Starts around the 32:00 mark.

http://cdn16.castfire.com/audio/303/2117/17951/2495249/dariandmel_2015-05-16-115249-8006-0-3-0.64k.mp3?cdn_id=33&uuid=664be8398cb9226d9ee25a3abf811ea9&referer=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.espn.go.com%2Fespnradi o%2Fpodcast%2Farchive%3Fid%3D7621447

smallcollegefbfan
May 16th, 2015, 05:14 PM
No I went back and listened to the podcast of Dari and Mel, he said the only player in FCS at any position ranked in his top five at any position. It was on this morning. Go to ESPN and listen. He is really high on Carson. And I agree first round would be too high for a FCS QB. But was just surprised he's getting noticed by the draft guru.

He wont' go first round but he could be a top 100 pick. I'll go that far.

As for him being the only one in his top 5 by position, I'm surprised by that. I guess that is because CBS hasn't put anyone else in his top 5. I thought Kiper did a top 10 by position? Wonder why he is just doing top 5 this year? Could it be the fact that CBS is only doing a top 5. LOL. We have all caught Kiper's wife copying CBS, and I'm not sure why she picks that one to take info from and then move a couple guys around to make grades. Kiper has been around longer than anyone so you would think he would do his own work. Maybe at his age he is just in coast mode?

A few other FCS players to keep an eye on for top 5 in their position are Liberty's John Lunsford, NDSU's Joe Haeg, Howard's Julien David (if he plays this year), Illinois State's Marshaun Coprich (if he gets out of legal trouble), and Southern Utah's Miles Killebrew.

IBleedYellow
May 16th, 2015, 07:55 PM
I'll go as far as to say: Carson will get drafted if he has as good of a Senior Season as last year.

smallcollegefbfan
May 16th, 2015, 08:11 PM
I'll go as far as to say: Carson will get drafted if he has as good of a Senior Season as last year.

Agreed! He is a good player who should get drafted.