PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Preseason All-America

smallcollegefbfan
May 15th, 2015, 11:01 AM
I think it is still early with more transfers to happen, surely to see some players go down with an injury and some to be dismissed from their program but who do you think will be an All-American on your team or in your conference this year? I have been working on an early list and will post here soon.

Just based on my early observations I think this OL group is better than people expected. The 1st and 2nd team OL on my list is loaded with very talented players. RB, DL, and LB are also very good. QB is the best it has been in a while.

PaladinFan
May 15th, 2015, 12:44 PM
I think Furman has two good linebackers that could make some national noise, Carl Rider and Cory Magwood. Both are first team All-SoCon linebackers and, in my opinion, are the two best at the position in the league. Do not know how they compare nationally, but I saw Quinn Backus a few times and think both compare favorably.

Rider is a smart, fast, sideline-to-sideline linebacker that really fits the mold of "field general." Magwood had a spectacular season in Rider's absence this year. If Rider is fully recovered from his shoulder injury, then Furman could have a pair of tackling machines in the backfield.

Daytripper
May 15th, 2015, 12:48 PM
Only sure-fire All-American at Sam is P.J. Hall.

bjtheflamesfan
May 15th, 2015, 01:48 PM
Liberty:

Chima Uzowihe DL
Darrin Peterson WR
Josh Woodrum QB

Those are the only ones I know for sure

jmufan999
May 15th, 2015, 03:29 PM
QB Vad Lee (4th place in Walter Payton Award voting 2014)
LB Gage Steele could possibly have a shot
CB Taylor Reynolds?
CB Jimmy Moreland if he is reinstated

Vad is the only sure thing, assuming he stays healthy. Our corners are flat out nasty, and still young.

NSF
May 15th, 2015, 04:43 PM
Indiana State:
Connor Underwood DE/OLB (2014: 94 tackles, 25 TFL, 13.5 sacks, 11 QBH, 3 forced fumbles)
Mark Sewall S (2014: 114 tackles, 6.5 TFL, 1 sack, 4 interceptions and TD, 14 pass break ups, 3 fumble recoveries)

underdawg
May 15th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Liberty:

Chima Uzowihe DL
Darrin Peterson WR
Josh Woodrum QB

By the way flamesfan, hope to see you next fall for the game with my Salukis---we ought to be very improved and it will be a great game for both teams RPI-wise!

KPSUL
May 15th, 2015, 07:36 PM
Victor Ochi, Senior DE from Stony Brook, was the most impressive defensive player I saw in 2014. SmallCollegeFBfan, is he on your radar?

SFA 93
May 15th, 2015, 07:58 PM
#2 QB: Zach Conque 6-6; 234 (Jr.)

Defensive line is our strength so maybe somebody on the D line
#97 DE: Kedrick Harrison 6-2; 246 (Jr.)
#92 DT: Lance Skyler 6-2; 285 (Sr.)
#90 DT: Shayvion Hatten 6-4; 300 (Sr.)
#99 DE: Mitchell Zimmerle 6-3; 262 (So.)

bjtheflamesfan
May 15th, 2015, 10:11 PM
By the way flamesfan, hope to see you next fall for the game with my Salukis---we ought to be very improved and it will be a great game for both teams RPI-wise!

About the only way I make the game in Carbondale is if I land a DJ gig out there and I can include tickets to the game on my invoice lol

MOre likely we meet up for the return game in Lynchburg (if LU or SIU isn't FBS before then that is)

Gangtackle11
May 15th, 2015, 10:27 PM
No brainers:
Returning AA:

John Robertson QB returning Walter Payton Award winner
Don Cherry LB runner up Buck Buchanan Award winner

sleeper:
Tanoh Kpassaganon DE 6'7" 270lbs. 4.65 40

smallcollegefbfan
May 16th, 2015, 12:38 AM
Liberty:

Chima Uzowihe DL
Darrin Peterson WR
Josh Woodrum QB

I would add OG Burgess and K Lunsford. Both of them are pretty good.

smallcollegefbfan
May 16th, 2015, 12:43 AM
Victor Ochi, Senior DE from Stony Brook, was the most impressive defensive player I saw in 2014. SmallCollegeFBfan, is he on your radar?

Yes he is. Saw him on tape last year during the fall. He is a definite All-American candidate.

BEAR
May 16th, 2015, 09:08 AM
For UCA I will say the obvious Sr. DE Jonathan Woodard for preseason.

SU DOG
May 16th, 2015, 10:22 AM
For Samford:
CB - James Bradberry
MLB - Justin Cooper
WR - Karel Hamilton

Catatonic
May 16th, 2015, 10:39 AM
For ACU I'd say the obvious choice for preseason AA is, um, no one.

smallcollegefbfan
May 16th, 2015, 10:50 AM
I think Furman has two good linebackers that could make some national noise, Carl Rider and Cory Magwood. Both are first team All-SoCon linebackers and, in my opinion, are the two best at the position in the league. Do not know how they compare nationally, but I saw Quinn Backus a few times and think both compare favorably.

Rider is a smart, fast, sideline-to-sideline linebacker that really fits the mold of "field general." Magwood had a spectacular season in Rider's absence this year. If Rider is fully recovered from his shoulder injury, then Furman could have a pair of tackling machines in the backfield.

I have your tight end on my watch list as well.

CrazyCat
May 16th, 2015, 11:23 AM
QB Dakota Prukop
OG JP Flynn
OT John Weidenaar

I think TE Beau Sandland could get there at the end of the season. Maybe S Desman Carter could also.

PaladinFan
May 16th, 2015, 01:24 PM
I have your tight end on my watch list as well.

Duncan Fletcher? Glad to see him get some recognition.

I started following Fletcher when he was a high school QB. Not surprising that he was not heavily recruited, not many Class A QBs from South Georgia are. Furman has really found a nice fit for him at TE, where he's managed to add weight without sacrificing athleticism.

Interestingly, Furman has once before turned a converted walkon QB into an all american TE (Colin Anderson). Maybe we have the market cornered on that front.

smallcollegefbfan
May 16th, 2015, 05:28 PM
QB Dakota Prukop
OG JP Flynn
OT John Weidenaar

I think TE Beau Sandland could get there at the end of the season. Maybe S Desman Carter could also.

The tight end has a lot of potential. You guys certainly have at least 4 legit All-America candidates.

- - - Updated - - -

I started following Fletcher when he was a high school QB. Not surprising that he was not heavily recruited, not many Class A QBs from South Georgia are. Furman has really found a nice fit for him at TE, where he's managed to add weight without sacrificing athleticism.

Interestingly, Furman has once before turned a converted walkon QB into an all american TE (Colin Anderson). Maybe we have the market cornered on that front.

With Furman's track record it is hard not to consider Fletcher at this point. He comes from a long line of greats at Furman.

lionsrking2
May 17th, 2015, 01:15 AM
For Southeastern Louisiana, we play a lot of players on both sides of the ball (especially on defense), so it's hard for any one guy to jump off the stat page. That said, cornerback, Harlan Miller, should be an All-American candidate if he can stay healthy. He was dinged up and missed several games in 2014, but still had a good year. His backup (Denzel Thompson, 6'3, 205, who should start opposite him this year), also had a very good year and could be in the mix for postseason honors ... both have great length, are good man-cover guys and have good ball skills. We also have three other corners who could start for a lot of people and they'll all play a bunch. We're loaded in the secondary.

PaladinFan
May 17th, 2015, 07:43 AM
The tight end has a lot of potential. You guys certainly have at least 4 legit All-America candidates.

- - - Updated - - -

With Furman's track record it is hard not to consider Fletcher at this point. He comes from a long line of greats at Furman.

It is a position of great focus for Furman and has been for a long time. Last year was the first season in a long time (10-15 years?) where the Paladins did not have an obvious heir apparent starter at the position. Fletcher's play was a pleasant surprise. I imagine he will only improve with the return of Reese Hannon.

Probably the part of Furman's 2015 team I am most excited to see is the TE group. Paladins have Duncan Fletcher (6'4 225) and Kevin Mall (6'2 235), and freshman Kedar Bryant (6'3 230), Ajay Williams (6'4 240), and Reilly Gessner (6'4 235).

Recruiting that position has been a major focus the last few years. Excited to see what they do with that group.

smallcollegefbfan
May 17th, 2015, 09:12 AM
For Southeastern Louisiana, we play a lot of players on both sides of the ball (especially on defense), so it's hard for any one guy to jump off the stat page. That said, cornerback, Harlan Miller, should be an All-American candidate if he can stay healthy. He was dinged up and missed several games in 2014, but still had a good year. His backup (Denzel Thompson, 6'3, 205, who should start opposite him this year), also had a very good year and could be in the mix for postseason honors ... both have great length, are good man-cover guys and have good ball skills. We also have three other corners who could start for a lot of people and they'll all play a bunch. We're loaded in the secondary.

Miller is one for sure. Hard not to notice Denzel. He is huge! You guys are very loaded. You have a few FBS transfers back there who are pretty good as well.

Tribe4SF
May 17th, 2015, 09:30 AM
Tribe candidates....

RB Mikal Abdul-Saboor
C Andrew Jones
LB Luke Rhodes
CB Deandre Houston-Carson (May play free safety this year)

McNeese72
May 17th, 2015, 07:13 PM
We don't have any players again this coming season. ;)

Doc

dewey
May 17th, 2015, 09:19 PM
I will take a stab at players for NDSU.
QB Carson Wentz
OT Joe Haeg
OG Zack Johnson
WR Zach Vraa
CB CJ Smith

Dewey

lionsrking2
May 17th, 2015, 11:31 PM
Miller is one for sure. Hard not to notice Denzel. He is huge! You guys are very loaded. You have a few FBS transfers back there who are pretty good as well.

No doubt. When your backup corners (Derrick Raymond & Will Hines) are SEC transfers who are both 6'0" or better, including one with 15 SEC starts under his belt (Hines), it's not bad depth. Our fifth corner (Ryan Sigers) is pretty good too. We're not bad at safety either with Micah Eugene, Jerqwinick Sandolph, Jordan Batiste and Josh Dakin, plus some others ... fun group to watch!

Speaking of Denzel, here's some video from last year ... first two clips he's matched up against UCA's Dezmin Lewis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOq096TJSR4

frozennorth
May 18th, 2015, 06:09 AM
QB Carson Wentz
OT Joe Haeg
OG Zack Johnson
WR Zach Vraa
CB CJ Smith

Dewey

Lechler, not Johnson, at least not until Johnson shows he us back from injury. Also Andrew Bonnet.

bisoninloveland
May 18th, 2015, 07:39 AM
Johnson out, Deluca in

NoDak 4 Ever
May 18th, 2015, 07:55 AM
Johnson out, Deluca in

While I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude, I think Deluca could be very VERY good. He has already shown tremendous athleticism.

BluBengal07
May 18th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Going with...

Daniel Williams WR 6-3 200 JR
- maybe the hardest working player on the team, Mr. Dependable will get it done. Current doing off-season workouts with famous trainer Chad Ikei in Hawaii.

Javancy Jones DL 6-2 230 JR
- back on the line after a year at LB. he was a monster freshman coming off the ball. now he's back, bigger, stronger, faster.

BEAR
May 18th, 2015, 09:22 AM
No doubt. When your backup corners (Derrick Raymond & Will Hines) are SEC transfers who are both 6'0" or better, including one with 15 SEC starts under his belt (Hines), it's not bad depth. Our fifth corner (Ryan Sigers) is pretty good too. We're not bad at safety either with Micah Eugene, Jerqwinick Sandolph, Jordan Batiste and Josh Dakin, plus some others ... fun group to watch!

Speaking of Denzel, here's some video from last year ... first two clips he's matched up against UCA's Dezmin Lewis.

Nice defense. THAT wins championships. Wish we had that. I'm all for offense but the SLC had their hands full with our defense when we came into the league. Those DII guys LOVED to leave it all on the field. Miss those days. Maybe coach Campbell can take a look at that defense and recruit likewise. It is the model for defenses so far in the SLC.

KillaBee
May 18th, 2015, 06:10 PM
LAFAYETTE LEOPARDS.. Have a host of talent on the defense.. 2 returning All Patriot Leagues players in Matt Smalley & Jared Roberts.

Sophmore LB Brandon Bryant #33 will have an All American year in 2015. FRESHMAN YEAR 55 TACKLES, 6.5 TOLS., 1SACK, 1FF & 3 BLK. KICKS

THIS KID IS ON PACE FOR A PHENOMENONAL SEASON 2015.

LOOK FOR THE LEOPARDS DEFENSE IN THE TOP 10 IN ALL CATEGORIES ....

APaladindad
May 19th, 2015, 12:32 AM

PaladinFan, I agree with your two posts but I believe you left off two other great prospects: Joe Turner OG a red shirt senior. Furman's "Iron Man" on the O-line.
37 consecutive game appearances, 34 consecutive starts over 2100 plays in three seasons. SOCON All Freshmen Team 2012, All SOCON Academic Team 2013, SOCON All conference 1st team offense 2014, Furman Offensive player of the game at least 6 games.
The other player is Eric Thoni Center, a red shirt senior back on the team after a year off to get his life together. SOCON All Freshmen Team 2012, College Sports Journal All-American 2012, 21 game appearances and 21 starts and over 1300 offensive plays over two seasons. He has a 2nd chance at the game and this will be his last season so he will need pack two seasons of performance into one season. This could be a very special year for the Furman O-line and the entire team. After the 2013 season more people than Citdog thinks that Furman Sucks! They have 11 games to prove otherwise.

lionsrking2
May 19th, 2015, 12:53 AM
Nice defense. THAT wins championships. Wish we had that. I'm all for offense but the SLC had their hands full with our defense when we came into the league. Those DII guys LOVED to leave it all on the field. Miss those days. Maybe coach Campbell can take a look at that defense and recruit likewise. It is the model for defenses so far in the SLC.

Hard to imagine improving on our conference and national defensive statistics from last year, but I think we're going to be better in 2015, especially if our young LBs play up to their potential. We could be a lot better, especially with some of the concepts new DC, Blake Williams, is bringing from the NFL.

PaladinFan
May 19th, 2015, 07:36 AM
PaladinFan, I agree with your two posts but I believe you left off two other great prospects: Joe Turner OG a red shirt senior. Furman's "Iron Man" on the O-line.
37 consecutive game appearances, 34 consecutive starts over 2100 plays in three seasons. SOCON All Freshmen Team 2012, All SOCON Academic Team 2013, SOCON All conference 1st team offense 2014, Furman Offensive player of the game at least 6 games.
The other player is Eric Thoni Center, a red shirt senior back on the team after a year off to get his life together. SOCON All Freshmen Team 2012, College Sports Journal All-American 2012, 21 game appearances and 21 starts and over 1300 offensive plays over two seasons. He has a 2nd chance at the game and this will be his last season so he will need pack two seasons of performance into one season. This could be a very special year for the Furman O-line and the entire team. After the 2013 season more people than Citdog thinks that Furman Sucks! They have 11 games to prove otherwise.

Both are very good linemen. I am cautiously optimistic about our offensive line this year.

2013 was difficult to evaluate. With Dakota Dozier the year before, I think he vastly helped improve the group as Dozier could collapse the edge just by himself. In 2013, those advantages simply were not there.

You also had the issues with the quarterbacks. One of Furman's biggest issues last season is that teams knew the Paladins could not throw the ball. We started four true freshman on offense last season, which mostly hurt the passing game. Protections and routes had to be simplified. Hardly any team we played needed to respect our ability to get the ball downfield, and thus our offensive line was forced to fight off 8 men in the box over and over again. 5 or 6 guys cannot block 8.

Hopefully Thoni takes his second chance seriously. With him in the lineup, Schmidt could slide to guard with Turner. That would be a much stronger interior line than we had last season.

PaladinNation
May 19th, 2015, 07:45 AM

Based on the spring game… Trey Robinson is healthy and back. Furman's not had a safety presence like Robinson since John Keith.
Not sure this is his year to get All-American honors, but he will make a lot of noise in 2015.

PaladinFan
May 19th, 2015, 08:19 AM
Based on the spring game… Trey Robinson is healthy and back. Furman's not had a safety presence like Robinson since John Keith.
Not sure this is his year to get All-American honors, but he will make a lot of noise in 2015.

Robinson is a horse. With a untested defensive line, I imagine we will see a lot of Robinson alone over the top as Furman will devote more support to the defensive front.

In any event, Furman should be pretty good if everyone stays healthy. That is a big "if."

Green26
May 19th, 2015, 09:29 AM
Montana: Ellis Henderson, receiver (6', 185), assuming he is healthy (from a stomach problem that caused him to miss most of last season), and has his academics in order. Very talented and fast. Think he led nation in yards per catch 2 years ago. Playmaker. His production may depend on how the new Griz/Stitt offense clicks and how the new qb starter comes along.

Possibles:

Tyrone Holmes, d-end, 6'4", about 255 or more now. Very talented. Pac-12 quality player.

Jamaal Jones, receiver (6'1", low 190's), fast, playmaker, needs to catch all balls (makes spectacular catches, and then occasionally drops an easy one).

John Schmaing, o-tackle (6'7", 290-300), sat out last season due to academics. Bigger and stronger now. The new o-line coach, Germer, a former o-line coach and player at UM before going to UNLV, is a great coach and great teacher of technique.

Rhodes Scholar Candidate: Derek Crittenden, d-end (6'3", 255), 4.0 in chemistry.

Hambone
May 19th, 2015, 11:31 AM
UND has some younger guys that could grow into potential All Americans, but the only one I can think of this year that could possibly fight for a spot is ILB Will Ratelle. Undersized in height, he's one of the strongest and fastest on the team. Listed at 5-11 and 255 pounds. Likelihood is probably very slight that he will reach that status, but he's the main one on the roster that I think could have the potential.

http://www.undsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205247035&DB_OEM_ID=13500

Grizalltheway
May 19th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Montana: Ellis Henderson, receiver (6', 185), assuming he is healthy (from a stomach problem that caused him to miss most of last season), and has his academics in order. Very talented and fast. Think he led nation in yards per catch 2 years ago. Playmaker. His production may depend on how the new Griz/Stitt offense clicks and how the new qb starter comes along.

Possibles:

Tyrone Holmes, d-end, 6'4", about 255 or more now. Very talented. Pac-12 quality player.

Jamaal Jones, receiver (6'1", low 190's), fast, playmaker, needs to catch all balls (makes spectacular catches, and then occasionally drops an easy one).

John Schmaing, o-tackle (6'7", 290-300), sat out last season due to academics. Bigger and stronger now. The new o-line coach, Germer, a former o-line coach and player at UM before going to UNLV, is a great coach and great teacher of technique.

Rhodes Scholar Candidate: Derek Crittenden, d-end (6'3", 255), 4.0 in chemistry.

I think Kidder has a chance to be in the conversation as well.

Canyoncat
May 19th, 2015, 12:03 PM
QB Dakota Prukop
OG JP Flynn
OT John Weidenaar

I forgot about Beau Sandland at TE, but another possibility could be Taylor Sheridan at DT, if he is able to stay healthy.

Rjones61
May 20th, 2015, 02:01 AM
I think EWU only has guaranteed All American this year... and that is Cooper Kupp (of course).

There are other good players, like Bourne, Ebukam, DeBord.... but really there is a good chance that Kupp is the only one. Didn't think about that until just now, but that is shocking considering our depth the last few years. And a little scary.

344Johnson
May 20th, 2015, 02:47 AM
A bit surprised there haven't been any ndsu fans shooting off about "team" football being what it's all about.

That said, Haeg at NDSU seems to be a popular choice among the faithful. Also, expect the qb from Nova and the QB from Illinois State (best FCS player I've seen play in person) to be pretty popular choices as well.

The new middle linebacker maybe in a couple years.

chattownmocs
May 20th, 2015, 07:16 AM
Chattanooga has a few possibilities.

These 3 have shown AA quality

Jacob Huesman Sr QB
Corey Levin Jr OL
Lucas Webb So S

This guy definitely is a potential AA

Keionta Davis Jr DE

Could possibly flash AA caliber

Synjen Herren Sr G
Josh Freeman Sr DT
Nakevion Leslie Jr LB
Cedric Nettles Jr S
Dee Virgin Jr CB

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2015, 08:19 AM

Jacob Huesman Sr QB
Corey Levin Jr OL
Lucas Webb So S

Keionta Davis Jr DE

Synjen Herren Sr G
Josh Freeman Sr DT
Nakevion Leslie Jr LB
Cedric Nettles Jr S
Dee Virgin Jr CB

So, over half the Mocs defense is in consideration for All American?

Catatonic
May 20th, 2015, 08:35 AM
For ACU I'd say the obvious choice for preseason AA is, um, no one.

I will amend my post to add that we do have a couple players who deserve looks, although I don't imagine they will show up on any preseason lists. Topping the list is sophomore rb De'Andre Brown who averaged 7 yards per carry on 132 attempts last year as a freshman and outrushed SFA's All American RB Gun Johnson by more than 100 yards in a head to head match up (262 to 158).

chattownmocs
May 20th, 2015, 08:56 AM
So, over half the Mocs defense is in consideration for All American?

No, they arent all in consideration right now. I wouldnt be surprised if any one of them made an all american team though. But you named how many off a terrible Furman team? Give me a break.

smallcollegefbfan
May 20th, 2015, 10:30 AM

Jacob Huesman Sr QB
Corey Levin Jr OL
Lucas Webb So S

Keionta Davis Jr DE

Synjen Herren Sr G
Josh Freeman Sr DT
Nakevion Leslie Jr LB
Cedric Nettles Jr S
Dee Virgin Jr CB

I have the top 3 on my list. Davis is one I expect to do well this year. Herren, Nettles, and Virgin I could all see having a big year. These are all definite All-SoCon names. You guys are in my preseason top 5.

smallcollegefbfan
May 20th, 2015, 10:32 AM
I think EWU only has guaranteed All American this year... and that is Cooper Kupp (of course).

There are other good players, like Bourne, Ebukam, DeBord.... but really there is a good chance that Kupp is the only one. Didn't think about that until just now, but that is shocking considering our depth the last few years. And a little scary.

DeBord is a definite All-American candidate. He is probably a top 3 OT in FCS. I think Ebukam could have a big year. He and the DE Davis from Chattanooga are two players I expect to be preseason 1st or 2nd teamers next year this time.

smallcollegefbfan
May 20th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Both are very good linemen. I am cautiously optimistic about our offensive line this year.

2013 was difficult to evaluate. With Dakota Dozier the year before, I think he vastly helped improve the group as Dozier could collapse the edge just by himself. In 2013, those advantages simply were not there.

You also had the issues with the quarterbacks. One of Furman's biggest issues last season is that teams knew the Paladins could not throw the ball. We started four true freshman on offense last season, which mostly hurt the passing game. Protections and routes had to be simplified. Hardly any team we played needed to respect our ability to get the ball downfield, and thus our offensive line was forced to fight off 8 men in the box over and over again. 5 or 6 guys cannot block 8.

Hopefully Thoni takes his second chance seriously. With him in the lineup, Schmidt could slide to guard with Turner. That would be a much stronger interior line than we had last season.

I do expect Furman to be improved. The exact order to predict is tough but I expect 2-3 SoCon teams in the playoffs and while Chattanooga is the only lock I think that Samford, Furman, and Western Carolina are all candidates and any of them could easily win 8-9 games.

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2015, 01:58 PM
No, they arent all in consideration right now. I wouldnt be surprised if any one of them made an all american team though. But you named how many off a terrible Furman team? Give me a break.

I named two linebackers. Both first team All SoCon. Both have led the league in tackles.

PaladinFan
May 20th, 2015, 02:01 PM
I do expect Furman to be improved. The exact order to predict is tough but I expect 2-3 SoCon teams in the playoffs and while Chattanooga is the only lock I think that Samford, Furman, and Western Carolina are all candidates and any of them could easily win 8-9 games.

I'd be happy to just see our full squad play the other guy's full squad.

I suppose we will know a lot more about Furman week 1 against Coastal Carolina.

smallcollegefbfan
May 25th, 2015, 08:02 AM
I'd be happy to just see our full squad play the other guy's full squad.

I suppose we will know a lot more about Furman week 1 against Coastal Carolina.

Definitely. You guys have some talent. It would surprise me if Furman doesn't win at least 7 games this year.

SUPharmacist
May 25th, 2015, 03:25 PM
QB Carson Wentz
OT Joe Haeg
OG Zack Johnson
WR Zach Vraa
CB CJ Smith

Dewey

I like Vraa, but not so sure he will stay healthy for the season. Poor guy has had his share of issues.

ming01
June 3rd, 2015, 12:45 AM
I think it is still early with more transfers to happen, surely to see some players go down with an injury and some to be dismissed from their program but who do you think will be an All-American on your team or in your conference this year? I have been working on an early list and will post here soon.

Just based on my early observations I think this OL group is better than people expected. The 1st and 2nd team OL on my list is loaded with very talented players. RB, DL, and LB are also very good. QB is the best it has been in a while.

Wentz- QB- NDSU
Smith- CB- NDSU
Haeg- T-NDSU
Vraa- WR- NDSU
Urzendowski- WR- NDSU
Bonnett- FB- NDSU
LeCompete- P- NDSU
Wienke- WR- SDSU
Hall- SHSU
Cen Ark CB
Roberson- QB- Ill St
Coprich- RB- Ill St
Robertson- QB- Nova
Cupp- WR- EWU
The DL from SCSU
Cherry- LB- Nova
Yale RB

katstrapper
June 3rd, 2015, 06:52 AM
Only sure-fire All-American at Sam is P.J. Hall.

I think you could put Offensive Lineman Donald Jackson III in this discussion. He has been the anchor and the work horse on the OL and has started 41 straight games since his freshman year in 2012. He has also been two time First Team All Southland Conference in 2013 and 2014.

Bam
June 5th, 2015, 01:49 PM
EKU RB Dy'Shawn Mobley. 2014 OVC Offensive Player of the Year!

Milktruck74
June 6th, 2015, 08:57 PM

Jacob Huesman Sr QB
Corey Levin Jr OL
Lucas Webb So S

Keionta Davis Jr DE

Synjen Herren Sr G
Josh Freeman Sr DT
Nakevion Leslie Jr LB
Cedric Nettles Jr S
Dee Virgin Jr CB

Sssshhhhhhhh!!!!!

The Mocs have no good players left, they all graduated last year. Huesman (the son) is getting injections in both knees and his throwing shoulder every week. Huesman (the coach) is on his way out to coach a local HS team. Just look past us this year...we will be rebuilding. Nothing to see here! Carry on.

smallcollegefbfan
June 7th, 2015, 10:22 PM
Here is my current list of potential All-American OL.

OT Ben Curtis, Delaware, Sr.
OT Clay DeBord, Eastern Washington, Sr.
OT Cole Toner, Harvard, Sr.
OT Torian White, Hampton, Sr.
OT John Weidenaar, Montana State, Sr.
OT Joe Haeg, North Dakota State, Sr.
OT Gunnar Bromelow, Samford, Sr.
OT Donald Jackson III, Sam Houston State, Sr.

OG Corey Levin, Chattanooga, Jr.
OG Synjen Herren, Chattanooga, Sr.
OG Aaron Neary, Eastern Washington, Sr.
OG Garrick Mayweather Jr., Sr. Fordham
OG Anthony Fabiano, Harvard, Sr.
OG Jonathan Burgess, Liberty, Sr.
OG Quentin Marsh, McNeese State, Sr.
OG JP Flynn, Montana State, Jr.
OG Zack Johnson, North Dakota State, Jr.
OG Terran Vaughn, Stephen F. Austin, Sr.

C Bruce Johnson, Maine, Sr.
C Robert Booker, Missouri State, Sr.
C Andrew Jones, William & Mary, Sr.

Based on 2014 postseason awards I think DeBord from EWU was underrated. You could also say the same for Anthony Fabiano of Harvard and Cole Toner of Harvard. Torian White of Hampton is a very good player. He should have been 1st or 2nd team All-MEAC. He stands out on film.

A couple of highly under the radar names to watch include Youngstown State OT Trevor Strickland, Duquesne OT Dan Buchholz, Tenn St OT Shaq Anthony, and Weber St C Joe Hawkins.

Daytripper
June 8th, 2015, 09:23 AM
I think you could put Offensive Lineman Donald Jackson III in this discussion. He has been the anchor and the work horse on the OL and has started 41 straight games since his freshman year in 2012. He has also been two time First Team All Southland Conference in 2013 and 2014.

Oh, I agree that there are multiple Bearkats that could potentially be All-American. My point on Hall was that he is the only one who is almost a shoe in if he stays healthy.

Catatonic
June 8th, 2015, 09:53 AM

OG Terran Vaughn, Stephen F. Austin, Sr..

Curious pick over team mate Byron Williams. Williams was first team all SLC last year. Vaughn was not on either the first or second team.

McNeese72
June 8th, 2015, 11:20 AM

Wait?? There must be a mistake. We don't have any players this season. ;)

Doc

BEAR
June 8th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Wentz- QB- NDSU
Smith- CB- NDSU
Haeg- T-NDSU
Vraa- WR- NDSU
Urzendowski- WR- NDSU
Bonnett- FB- NDSU
LeCompete- P- NDSU
Wienke- WR- SDSU
Hall- SHSU
Cen Ark CB
Roberson- QB- Ill St
Coprich- RB- Ill St
Robertson- QB- Nova
Cupp- WR- EWU
The DL from SCSU
Cherry- LB- Nova
Yale RB

xlolx I think you mean DE.... we had one of the worst CB/DB teams in the nation last year. We allowed like 250+ yards a game in the air. We had to move some LBs back to cover for the CB/DB guys which opened up the run game for teams. Plus our defense had to go 3/4..and that takes a toll on the D-Line. I hope you are right on the CB choice..but unless the QBs in this league suddenly suck and throw picks it isn't going to happen for us this year either.

jmufan999
June 8th, 2015, 02:11 PM
for JMU...

probably only QB Vad Lee, and CB Jimmy Moreland (if he is reinstated following a suspension). that's probably about it. the offensive system lends itself to very few guys with huge stats, other than the QB. and on defense, I simply don't think there is that kind of talent available.

Panther88
June 8th, 2015, 04:09 PM
PVAMU - Johnta' Hebert (RB)

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Curious pick over team mate Byron Williams. Williams was first team all SLC last year. Vaughn was not on either the first or second team.

Williams is another one who could make it. I would not put either on my AA list right now but both are on the short list outside of my top 15 OL.

FUBeAR
June 9th, 2015, 10:35 AM

OT Ben Curtis, Delaware, Sr.
OT Clay DeBord, Eastern Washington, Sr.
OT Cole Toner, Harvard, Sr.
OT Torian White, Hampton, Sr.
OT John Weidenaar, Montana State, Sr.
OT Joe Haeg, North Dakota State, Sr.
OT Gunnar Bromelow, Samford, Sr.
OT Donald Jackson III, Sam Houston State, Sr.

OG Corey Levin, Chattanooga, Jr.
OG Synjen Herren, Chattanooga, Sr.
OG Aaron Neary, Eastern Washington, Sr.
OG Garrick Mayweather Jr., Sr. Fordham
OG Anthony Fabiano, Harvard, Sr.
OG Jonathan Burgess, Liberty, Sr.
OG JP Flynn, Montana State, Jr.
OG Zack Johnson, North Dakota State, Jr.
OG Terran Vaughn, Stephen F. Austin, Sr.

C Bruce Johnson, Maine, Sr.
C Robert Booker, Missouri State, Sr.
C Andrew Jones, William & Mary, Sr.

Based on 2014 postseason awards I think DeBord from EWU was underrated. You could also say the same for Anthony Fabiano of Harvard and Cole Toner of Harvard. Torian White of Hampton is a very good player. He should have been 1st or 2nd team All-MEAC. He stands out on film.

A couple of highly under the radar names to watch include Youngstown State OT Trevor Strickland, Duquesne OT Dan Buchholz, Tenn St OT Shaq Anthony, and Weber St C Joe Hawkins.

Just Curious - Are you basing your assessment on their NFL potential or their demonstrated blocking effectiveness within the scheme that their FCS teams run, some blend of those 2 observations, or some other criterion/set of criteria?

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2015, 11:23 AM
Just Curious - Are you basing your assessment on their NFL potential or their demonstrated blocking effectiveness within the scheme that their FCS teams run, some blend of those 2 observations, or some other criterion/set of criteria?

This is based on their ability on film. Some players I'm projecting to be major award winners because they are good athletes who got better as the year went on or they were a transfer who finally came in to their own late in the year but were snubbed by all-conference teams.

For example, the Hampton OL should have been 1st or 2nd team All-MEAC last year. He is a monster of a player. He will be 1st team All-MEAC this year, IMO. I also think Leamon of SC State will finally make the All-MEAC team. I would have put him on the 2nd team last year but I think he gets recognized this year.

smallcollegefbfan
June 9th, 2015, 11:25 AM
A few other OL names to consider

OT Kyle Smith, Portland State
OT Mitch Kirsch, JMU
OT Cody Funk, ACU
OT Javarius Leamon, SC State
OT Justin Lea, Jacksonville St
OT Kevin Malloy, Albany
OT Anton Wahrby, Wofford
OT Tyler Catalina, Rhode Island
OT Evan Kanz, EIU

OG Byron Williams, SFA
OG Tad McNeely, UNH
OG Sam Frye, Citadel
OG Connor Hilland, W&M
OG Synjen Herren, UTC
OG Joe Turner, Furman

C Joel Horn, Montana St
C Matt Williams, JMU
C Joe Hawkins, Weber St
C Jacob Revis, UTC
C Christian Diehm, Idaho St
C Brandon De La Cruz, WIU
C Stephen Sippel, Cal Poly
C Jake Thornton, WCU
C Jacob Ohnesorge, SDSU

slostang
June 9th, 2015, 11:35 AM
Cal Poly OT/OG Matt Fisher 6'5" 295 is one to keep an eye on. He was probably the best OL for Cal Poly in 2013 as a redshirt freshman starter. He sat out 2014 with an injury and will be back in 2015. He played guard in 2013 but may slide over to left tackle this year. Kid is a beast.

Catatonic
June 9th, 2015, 11:50 AM
A few other OL names to consider

OT Kyle Smith, Portland State
OT Mitch Kirsch, JMU
OT Cody Funk, ACU
OT Javarius Leamon, SC State
OT Justin Lea, Jacksonville St
OT Kevin Malloy, Albany
OT Anton Wahrby, Wofford
OT Tyler Catalina, Rhode Island
OT Evan Kanz, EIU

OG Byron Williams, SFA
OG Tad McNeely, UNH
OG Sam Frye, Citadel
OG Connor Hilland, W&M
OG Synjen Herren, UTC
OG Joe Turner, Furman

C Joel Horn, Montana St
C Matt Williams, JMU
C Joe Hawkins, Weber St
C Jacob Revis, UTC
C Christian Diehm, Idaho St
C Brandon De La Cruz, WIU
C Stephen Sippel, Cal Poly
C Jake Thornton, WCU
C Jacob Ohnesorge, SDSU

Cody Funk is a work in progress. He was primarily a basketball player in HS. He only played one year of football but showed enough potential that Western Illinois signed him to play football. He redshirted his freshman year before dropping out. He was out of football until he showed up at ACU last fall. At 6'5, 320 he has size and good, quick "basketball" feet. He made tremendous strides last year and was named to SLC second team all-conference. Coaches say he is intelligent and dedicated and is much improved over where he was at the end of last season. If the coaches assessment is right, he could quickly move up your chart.

tomq04
June 9th, 2015, 12:59 PM
Big Sky:
QB Dakota Prukop MSU, I think he will be the QB to match up to for the Big Sky.
WR- Cooper Kupp EWU - duh?

No punter love?

McNeese72
June 9th, 2015, 10:37 PM
When it comes to defensive linemen, DT Isaiah Golden of McNeese might be one to watch. He was a disrupted force to our offense in the spring. Either he is pretty damn good or our offense (and offensive linemen) suck. ;)

katstrapper
June 10th, 2015, 04:41 PM
Oh, I agree that there are multiple Bearkats that could potentially be All-American. My point on Hall was that he is the only one who is almost a shoe in if he stays healthy.

And again I think Donald Jackson should be in that list. Another one that I think should garner some attention on preseason All American lists is punter Lachlan Edwards.

Edwards ranked 6th in FCS in punting average and put 28 punts inside the 20 (35%). First Team All Southland.

Sammy94
June 10th, 2015, 04:56 PM
DT Isaiah Golden of McNeese might be one to watch.

I bet LCPD already has been.

McNeese72
June 10th, 2015, 05:04 PM
I bet LCPD already has been.

He has been no problem. He came wanting to be on the team last season. Matt said with his baggage he would have to prove himself for a year before he could join the team. He did.

GoneFishing
June 10th, 2015, 11:55 PM
DT Isaiah Golden will be a force this year

Catatonic
June 11th, 2015, 07:55 AM
He has been no problem. He came wanting to be on the team last season. Matt said with his baggage he would have to prove himself for a year before he could join the team. He did.

A year being a season? I am a believer in second chances. I hope it works out and he takes advantage of the opportunity.

Sammy94
June 11th, 2015, 08:16 AM
I am a believer in second chances.

It was more of a joke but he did have numerous police run ins at College Station last season. Looks like we just got Kansas' best player last season who was dismissed for the "violation of team rules" so if you want to be a Bearkat fan, you have to believe in second chances.

Daytripper
June 11th, 2015, 08:57 AM
It was more of a joke but he did have numerous police run ins at College Station last season. Looks like we just got Kansas' best player last season who was dismissed for the "violation of team rules" so if you want to be a Bearkat fan, you have to believe in second chances.

If FCS football is about anything, it is about second chances.

GoneFishing
June 11th, 2015, 12:49 PM
McNeese got a couple more transfers this summer. WR & QB

Nickels
June 11th, 2015, 04:06 PM
If FCS football is about anything, it is about second chances.
More like 4th chance with Golden

caught with weed after blaring music
2nd chance
robbed and beat 3 people at gun point
3rd chance
in late August (aka not over a year ago) he was arrested for domestic abuse and child endangerment

LCPD is already well aware of Golden considering his last set of charges were there.

looks like Viator and company are getting pretty desperate.