View Full Version : Tough league!

underdawg
May 11th, 2015, 06:38 PM
www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2015&sub=11605 (http://www.masseyratings.com/rate.php?s=cf2015&sub=11605)

My Salukis are 11th nationally but only 7th in the Missouri Valley Football Conference--urk!

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 11th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Valley was tough as nails last year!

centennial
May 11th, 2015, 07:17 PM
South Dakota is bringing us down at 35th.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 11th, 2015, 07:26 PM

The top teams in the NSIC would have beaten USD last year.

underdawg
May 11th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Forgot to mention this is for 2015 preseason

caribbeanhen
May 12th, 2015, 07:24 AM
are you guys sure that you still play in what was once known as FCS, What happened here? You guys got that much better or the rest of FCS went down the crapper?

taper
May 13th, 2015, 05:59 PM
are you guys sure that you still play in what was once known as FCS, What happened here? You guys got that much better or the rest of FCS went down the crapper?

If the east coast teams were willing to play us we might find out.

heath
May 13th, 2015, 08:17 PM
What disappointment.I though this was a Patriot League threadxlolxxlolx

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 14th, 2015, 08:07 PM
What disappointment.I though this was a Patriot League threadxlolxxlolx

The Patriot is not the toughest conference in the FCS?

xeyebrowx

BucBisonAtLarge
May 18th, 2015, 07:33 PM
We can hijack most threads...

Lehigh'98
May 19th, 2015, 12:19 PM
So, I think Bucknell can win the league this year!!

unigriff
May 19th, 2015, 01:06 PM
hey i'll take a 7-4 with this years UNI team and schedule..:)

KPSUL
May 19th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Is NDSU interested in coming to the east coast to play away games? Since they already play a tough 8 game conference schedule I don't see why they would travel to a Vilanova, UNH or Coastal. The best Eastern FCS teams would have more to gain from a home and away two-games series than the Bison. But you can't expect teams of that quality to play in Fargo without a return home game. I noticed NDSU is playing an away game against Montana this season, finishing up a home and away series; however, they have no FBS match-up in 2015. From looking at that last 5 years your AD seems very saavy about putting together a season schedule that will balance slaying enough dragons with getting a couple easier match-ups. Since your conference is currently loaded with dragons, you guys don't need to go looking for too many more.

Twentysix
May 19th, 2015, 01:24 PM
Is NDSU interested in coming to the east coast to play away games? Since they already play a tough 8 game conference schedule I don't see why they would travel to a Vilanova, UNH or Coastal. The best Eastern FCS teams would have more to gain from a home and away two-games series than the Bison. But you can't expect teams of that quality to play in Fargo without a return home game. I noticed NDSU is playing an away game against Montana this season, finishing up a home and away series; however, they have no FBS match-up in 2015. From looking at that last 5 years your AD seems very saavy about putting together a season schedule that will balance slaying enough dragons with getting a couple easier match-ups. Since your conference is currently loaded with dragons, you guys don't need to go looking for too many more.

We also played away at Weber St last season. Going to Villanova or UNH wouldn't have been any different.

NDSUKurt
May 19th, 2015, 06:36 PM

Supposedly NDSU and Maine were very close to having a home and home for 2014 and 2015, but NDSU scheduled Weber State instead. (this was according to people on the Maine Football forum).

Before Gene Taylor left last year he stated that NDSU was going to have a change in philosophy for scheduling. This came from the fact that FBS schools are not willing to play NDSU anymore because of their 5 straight wins against FBS teams.

Before he left for Iowa, Gene Taylor scheduled a home and home with Eastern Washington (2016 in Fargo, 2017 in Cheney), stating that NDSU would still play 6 home games but instead of playing a FBS game, they would do a home and home with well known FCS teams from now on.

What will be interesting is to see how the new AD Matt Larsen schedules. If the home and home idea is still in place, I imagine NDSU will play some of the teams that they have a history with from the transition era (Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Cal Poly, UC Davis). It may be difficult to do home and homes with Southland Conference teams now that they went to a 9 game conference schedule. However, there are other name teams on the east coast that would be fun (James Madison, New Hampshire, Coastal Carolina, Delaware, Villanova).

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 19th, 2015, 09:21 PM
Supposedly NDSU and Maine were very close to having a home and home for 2014 and 2015, but NDSU scheduled Weber State instead. (this was according to people on the Maine Football forum).

Before Gene Taylor left last year he stated that NDSU was going to have a change in philosophy for scheduling. This came from the fact that FBS schools are not willing to play NDSU anymore because of their 5 straight wins against FBS teams.

Before he left for Iowa, Gene Taylor scheduled a home and home with Eastern Washington (2016 in Fargo, 2017 in Cheney), stating that NDSU would still play 6 home games but instead of playing a FBS game, they would do a home and home with well known FCS teams from now on.

What will be interesting is to see how the new AD Matt Larsen schedules. If the home and home idea is still in place, I imagine NDSU will play some of the teams that they have a history with from the transition era (Stephen F. Austin, Sam Houston State, Cal Poly, UC Davis). It may be difficult to do home and homes with Southland Conference teams now that they went to a 9 game conference schedule. However, there are other name teams on the east coast that would be fun (James Madison, New Hampshire, Coastal Carolina, Delaware, Villanova).

IMO, we will not see many east coast FCS teams, or any, on our schedule. Most Bison fans want 6 home games....I sure do. If the new AD does not schedule FBS games then more FCS home/home series will be seen but if FBS games start coming back after the Iowa game next year, no way does NDSU sacrifice a home game to go out east or anywhere else for that matter. Bring in a cupcake Pioneer or Patriot team.

Bisonator
May 20th, 2015, 07:05 PM
I just don't see FBS games coming back on our schedule anytime soon. The P5's in our region have learned their lesson. The G5's don't pay enough or offer enough in the way of exposure unless it's a top MAC or MWC program but again why would they risk paying for a beating. It's just where the program is at this point. Home and home deals would work with any top level FCS program but I would think unless there is a proven history between NDSU and the other program I'm sure NDSU would like the first game to be in Fargo. NDSU learned some hard lessons seeing return games bought out. Why schedule a H/H if the return trip isn't going to be honored? Just as easy to pay for a home game and so far they are making more that way. When or if the weaker home games start seeing a decline in attendance I suppose a new philosophy will be implemented.

Catatonic
May 21st, 2015, 10:14 AM
I just don't see FBS games coming back on our schedule anytime soon. The P5's in our region have learned their lesson. The G5's don't pay enough or offer enough in the way of exposure unless it's a top MAC or MWC program but again why would they risk paying for a beating. It's just where the program is at this point. Home and home deals would work with any top level FCS program but I would think unless there is a proven history between NDSU and the other program I'm sure NDSU would like the first game to be in Fargo. NDSU learned some hard lessons seeing return games bought out. Why schedule a H/H if the return trip isn't going to be honored? Just as easy to pay for a home game and so far they are making more that way. When or if the weaker home games start seeing a decline in attendance I suppose a new philosophy will be implemented.

what are your payout expectations? Just curious.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 21st, 2015, 10:17 AM
what are your payout expectations? Just curious.

Minimum 350k

clenz
May 21st, 2015, 10:20 AM
Minimum 350k
If you aren't getting at least 350K and/or a cut of ticket sales to add to/get to that total and it's more than a 2 hour bus ride you're getting bent the hell over.

Catatonic
May 21st, 2015, 10:47 AM
If you aren't getting at least 350K and/or a cut of ticket sales and it's more than a 2 hour bus ride you're getting bent the hell over.

Abilene Christian has played 3 FBS teams for less than 350k during our transition, but a W over us has not counted toward the 6 wins necessary for bowl eligibility because we have not offered the requisite average number of scholarships over a two year period. Our largest payout thus far has been 300k and an appearance on ESPN 2.

I don't know what Fresno State is paying us, but hopefully we have upped the ante in our first year as a counter.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 21st, 2015, 10:55 AM
Abilene Christian has played 3 FBS teams for less than 350k during our transition, but a W over us has not counted toward the 6 wins necessary for bowl eligibility because we have not offered the requisite average number of scholarships over a two year period. Our largest payout thus far has been 300k and an appearance on ESPN 2.

I don't know what Fresno State is paying us, but hopefully we have upped the ante in our first year as a counter.

NDSU might have to consider less but at that point you are better off doing a H/H and getting the home game.

Mattymc727
May 21st, 2015, 10:57 AM
I was hoping UNH would try and schedule an MVFC team or another west/south conference team for the opener in the expanded stadium, but they stayed home and picked Holy Cross...It seems UNH (And my guess most CAA teams) are more interested in saving costs if they can rather than scheduling exciting cross country match-ups. It makes sense, as there are enough FCS schools in the east to be able to do that, and the western teams have to travel a bit more. UNH is happy with their annual FBS game and playing a home and home with a northeast team which can be reached by bus (Lehigh, CCSU, Colgate, Holy Cross, and so on). Unless the AD changes, it doesnt look like that will change.

However there was that one weird year when UNH actually went out to Cal-Poly and there was no return game. My only guess with that one was that Chip Kelly was still at UNH, was a notorious Cali recruiter, and wanted to use the game for recruiting purposes. Luckily UNH won the game too.

Mattymc727
May 21st, 2015, 10:58 AM
Maybe SDSU and UNH can work out a H/H in their new stadiums...

NDSUKurt
May 21st, 2015, 11:21 AM
Minimum 350k

Up that to $500k.

That is what we are getting next year from Iowa.

NDSU fans travel better than many FBS schools. Look at the Kansas State game. Single game tickets for NDSU were more expensive than Iowa State and the other 2 non conference games that the Wildcats played. Because of this, those FBS schools make more money playing NDSU as opposed to other FCS teams, so NDSU can demand slightly more money.

AmsterBison
May 21st, 2015, 11:29 AM
NDSU fans travel better than many FBS schools. Look at the Kansas State game. Single game tickets for NDSU were more expensive than Iowa State and the other 2 non conference games that the Wildcats played. Because of this, those FBS schools make more money playing NDSU as opposed to other FCS teams, so NDSU can demand slightly more money.

NDSU fans do travel well, but Home Opener + Some Sort of Ceremony are what pumped up the KSU prices.

Not quite the same as Minnesota; the Gophers could jack up ticket prices significantly and add 5000 to 10000 more seats and still sell out a game against NDSU. That's a unique case though.

Hammerhead
May 21st, 2015, 11:34 AM

The Coyotes might not be #35 if the rest of the conference weren't all in the top 15. :)

NoDak 4 Ever
May 21st, 2015, 11:58 AM
Up that to $500k.

That is what we are getting next year from Iowa.

We got 350 from Iowa State. I doubt we'd get 500k anymore as we are no longer a compelling game for a team probably not in the top 25

BisonTru
May 21st, 2015, 01:11 PM
Unfortunately, with the current state of our program and past FBS success, I doubt many FBS teams would agree to a game if we offered to come for free.