PDA

View Full Version : Marshaun Coprich suspended

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

clenz
May 11th, 2015, 12:30 PM
Per Craig Haley on twitter he is suspended indefinitely.

So...He'll be back for week 1...or the first MVFC game at the latest

gotts
May 11th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Sold drugs to an undercover cop

http://www.wjbc.com/2015/05/11/illinois-states-coprich-arrested-on-drug-charge/

clenz
May 11th, 2015, 12:35 PM
So...his suspension will be lifted by the time the coaches can actually have contact with him again.

I'm sure OSBF will comment, but that type of suspension seems par for ISUr's course.

gotts
May 11th, 2015, 12:37 PM
So...his suspension will be lifted by the time the coaches can actually have contact with him again.

I'm sure OSBF will comment, but that type of suspension seems par for ISUr's course.

I'm guessing if he has no priors, he'll get probation. I'm also guessing it's probably a 1-2 game suspension at worst, nothing that will affect the MVFC season.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 11th, 2015, 12:49 PM
I'm guessing if he has no priors, he'll get probation. I'm also guessing it's probably a 1-2 game suspension at worst, nothing that will affect the MVFC season.

If he's had nothing big like this before that all sounds more than fair.

clenz
May 11th, 2015, 12:59 PM
In my opinion selling illegal drugs, regardless if he's had a "big issue" in the past, is punishable by dismissal.

If he was the walk on back up long snapper he'd already be gone

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

NoDak 4 Ever
May 11th, 2015, 01:01 PM
In my opinion selling illegal drugs, regardless if he's had a "big issue" in the past, is punishable by dismissal.

This.

I can't even believe this is a question.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 11th, 2015, 01:09 PM
That's fine for some I suppose but I can't see not giving a second chance for a young dude committing a non violent crime and just being a dummy. No second chance but a first one I can't throw em' away.

FormerPokeCenter
May 11th, 2015, 01:12 PM

Exactly....

clenz
May 11th, 2015, 01:13 PM
This.

I can't even believe this is a question.
UNI had this happen to it's top 2 WR right before the playoffs in 2008 (the season that ended with a loss to UR in the semis).

One was busted selling pot (Johnny Gray) and another (Victor Williams) was also charged because there was have amounts found in his room (they lived together). Both were instantly booted, even though Williams didn't sell anything and was cleared by the cops a short time later.

That was week before playoffs for a top 5 team.

I won't be shocked when ISU does nothing, because that's S.O.P. there

clenz
May 11th, 2015, 01:14 PM
That's fine for some I suppose but I can't see not giving a second chance for a young dude committing a non violent crime and just being a dummy. No second chance but a first one I can't throw em' away.
I'm not advocating for prison time.

Playing football is a privilege. Selling illegal drugs is reason to take that away.

Getting a MIP is one thing, selling illegal narcotics is another

FargoBison
May 11th, 2015, 01:17 PM
I would go four games minimum, he would be gonzo if he had any past issues.

NDSU kicked a player off the team who had a similar charge in 2009.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 11th, 2015, 01:17 PM

Playing football is a privilege. Selling illegal drugs is reason to take that away.

This should be dealt with on a university level. As in, you are no longer enrolled.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 11th, 2015, 01:23 PM

You think I needed a lesson on what playing football is for these guys? I understand the premise and disagree with how to handle it. Either one of us could be right, or wrong. I'd just as soon give him a chance at a better future in spite of the fact that he did something dumbass. Young guys do dumb ****, that's just a fact. Some get caught, some don't.

ISUR24
May 11th, 2015, 01:23 PM
UNI had this happen to it's top 2 WR right before the playoffs in 2008 (the season that ended with a loss to UR in the semis).

One was busted selling pot (Johnny Gray) and another (Victor Williams) was also charged because there was have amounts found in his room (they lived together). Both were instantly booted, even though Williams didn't sell anything and was cleared by the cops a short time later.

That was week before playoffs for a top 5 team.

I won't be shocked when ISU does nothing, because that's S.O.P. there

I guess I'd like to know what you're talking about for our SOP?

Shelby Harris
Oshay Dunmore

Just a quick two that come to mind... but you know... don't let facts get in the way. Bash away!

FormerPokeCenter
May 11th, 2015, 01:33 PM

Shelby Harris
Oshay Dunmore

Just a quick two that come to mind... but you know... don't let facts get in the way. Bash away!

I'm confused. Are you trying to make the argument that it's an isolated incident...or that there's an institutional issue with drugs there????

FargoBison
May 11th, 2015, 01:34 PM
I would go four games minimum, he would be gonzo if he had any past issues.

NDSU kicked a player off the team who had a similar charge in 2009.

More that I think about it, he should be gone if convicted. Can't have a drug dealer on your team.

OSBF
May 11th, 2015, 01:53 PM
He's likely gone

Spak's trak record here is consistent if nothing else

He has no issue keeping you around if you beat somebody up

BUT he's pretty old school on drug use/possession

AshevilleApp2
May 11th, 2015, 01:56 PM
You think I needed a lesson on what playing football is for these guys? I understand the premise and disagree with how to handle it. Either one of us could be right, or wrong. I'd just as soon give him a chance at a better future in spite of the fact that he did something dumbass. Young guys do dumb ****, that's just a fact. Some get caught, some don't.

I agree.

OSBF
May 11th, 2015, 02:00 PM
If he's had nothing big like this before that all sounds more than fair.

The real kick in 'da nutz is that he really is a high character guy, yes, this is his first brush with LEO since hes been on campus.

If he'd of beat up his girlfriend or pounded some dude on the sidewalk in front of a bar at 1AM he'd be fine

BUT......................

Drugs. Why did it have to be drugs.

AshevilleApp2
May 11th, 2015, 02:03 PM
This should be dealt with on a university level. As in, you are no longer enrolled.

Sorry man, but this makes no sense. Many college students get arrested every year, for a variety reasons, and aren't dropped from school. Discipline of some sort is needed because a law was broken. Albeit, a stupid law. But one strike and you're out? Give me a break.

Bisonator
May 11th, 2015, 02:10 PM

I tend to agree with the big bear on this stuff. He screwed up, a lot of college kids do, as long as it's a first time offense and it's just weed I'd be inclined to suspend him a few games.

AshevilleApp2
May 11th, 2015, 02:13 PM
The real kick in 'da nutz is that he really is a high character guy, yes, this is his first brush with LEO since hes been on campus.

If he'd of beat up his girlfriend or pounded some dude on the sidewalk in front of a bar at 1AM he'd be fine

BUT......................

Drugs. Why did it have to be drugs.

Interesting point. I guess it is better to beat a woman or someone else in a bar fight, than get charged with selling less than an ounce of marijuana? Seems to me the harm is greater in the first two instances.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 11th, 2015, 02:14 PM
Sorry man, but this makes no sense. Many college students get arrested every year, for a variety reasons, and aren't dropped from school. Discipline of some sort is needed because a law was broken. Albeit, a stupid law. But one strike and you're out? Give me a break.

I've always laughed at people that act like this would be the same way they would have all students treated. They wouldn't. He should be treated like any other student. If they eject all students with drug offenses then great, get rid of him. Be fair and stop with the holier than thou act. I did a ton of crap while in college, some I got caught for, some I didn't but overall I was a good person and learned from most of the crap I did wrong.

centennial
May 11th, 2015, 02:18 PM
I think if it was his first offense and he doesn't have a history then a few game suspension should be good. If not he should be gone. Kids make mistakes, it is as simple as that.

OSBF
May 11th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Interesting point. I guess it is better to beat a woman or someone else in a bar fight, than get charged with selling less than an ounce of marijuana? Seems to me the harm is greater in the first two instances.

I agree 100%, I was being a tad sarcaustic.

Just making the point, that as mentioned here already, SOP at ILS has been to ignore "violent" behavior and bring the wrath of all that is holy down upon those that toke.

underdawg
May 11th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Clentz: "selling illegal narcotics" ha-ha--huh? Sounds like a line out of the trial of the Delta's in Animal House

NoDak 4 Ever
May 11th, 2015, 02:25 PM

30 grams would be more than an ounce. Still I would expect anyone on my team to be dumped after being caught selling drugs.

FargoBison
May 11th, 2015, 02:31 PM
30 grams would be more than an ounce. Still I would expect anyone on my team to be dumped after being caught selling drugs.

All you have to do is search Jordan Schultenover to get your answer as to what happened when something like this went down at NDSU.

MR. CHICKEN
May 11th, 2015, 02:32 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20710&stc=1.....SELLIN' WEED.....BIGGER OFFENSE.....DAN DOIN' WEED........HOWEVERAH....CAIN'T HAVE ONE...WHIFF-OUT.....DUH OTHERAH.........AWK!

NoDak 4 Ever
May 11th, 2015, 02:40 PM
All you have to do is search Jordan Schultenover to get your answer as to what happened when something like this went down at NDSU.

Yeah, I remember. Kid might get a second chance but it shouldn't be with this time this year.

OSBF
May 11th, 2015, 02:45 PM

Shelby Harris
Oshay Dunmore

Harris had MULTIPLE arrests for violent behavior and NOTHING was ever done to him. He finally got the boot after being arrested for FELONY mob action/gang violence, and he left spak with no other choice.

Too bad for Coprich, because I think he really is a stand-up kid. He did a really really stupid thing here.

Professor Chaos
May 11th, 2015, 02:47 PM
I've never understood why it's absolutely necessary to kick a kid out of the football program/school for something like this because they always catch on elsewhere. There's a plethora of FCS programs that've taken guys with similar issues from FBS schools and you don't hear much about it other than "well, he's deserves a 2nd chance and there'll be a zero tolerance policy with him going forward". Why is that so easy to do with a guy who developed elsewhere than with those who came up in your own program? If they boot Coprich I bet he resurfaces at a D2 school within a year. If this is his first offense I have no issue with Illinois St giving him a suspension but keeping him on the team (assuming there's now zero tolerance going forward for him).

NoDak 4 Ever
May 11th, 2015, 02:48 PM
am I the only one who thinks this is crazy?

"Hey, yeah.....you got caught selling drugs to a cop, just don't do it again!"

AshevilleApp2
May 11th, 2015, 02:51 PM

The actual charge quoted in the article is between 10- 30 grams. Maybe you have better information?

In any event, you didn't post about your team. You posted about kicking the kid out of school.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 11th, 2015, 02:54 PM
The actual charge quoted in the article is between 10- 30 grams. Maybe you have better information?

In any event, you didn't post about your team. You posted about kicking the kid out of school.

28.4 grams is an ounce. 28.5-30 grams is more than an ounce. That is what I was saying. If it was 28.6 grams, that would be more than an ounce.

As for what I posted, I am simply stating that I'm not looking at this with bias. In fact, it has happened to my team in the past and dealt with appropriately in my eyes.

FargoBison
May 11th, 2015, 02:56 PM

I agree, I start thinking where did he get it? Who is selling it to? Are other players involved in some way, not saying they are dealing but are they buying from him? Huge difference between possession and selling it.

Professor Chaos
May 11th, 2015, 02:56 PM

What difference does it make if Illinois St says that or if Ferris St says that after Illinois St boots him? Because someone will especially if he doesn't have any priors. To put it how you did would be crazy but to put it more like this would not be.

"You got caught selling drugs to a cop, since this is your first off the field issue with us we'll allow you to re-earn a spot within our program by serving your suspension. Any future off the field issue will result in an immediate dismissal because of this".

AshevilleApp2
May 11th, 2015, 02:58 PM
28.4 grams is an ounce. 28.5-30 grams is more than an ounce. That is what I was saying. If it was 28.6 grams, that would be more than an ounce.

As for what I posted, I am simply stating that I'm not looking at this with bias. In fact, it has happened to my team in the past and dealt with appropriately in my eyes.

Trust me, I'm well aware of how many grams are in an ounce. I was young a long time ago. You still aren't addressing what I posted. You posted that he should be kicked out of school, not dropped from the team.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 11th, 2015, 03:02 PM
Trust me, I'm well aware of how many grams are in an ounce. I was young a long time ago. You still aren't addressing what I posted. You posted that he should be kicked out of school, not dropped from the team.

Well at the very least kicked off the team. I would think some sort of university sanction would be in order as well. Can't just go off selling drugs and be okey dokey with the school.

AshevilleApp2
May 11th, 2015, 03:05 PM
Well at the very least kicked off the team. I would think some sort of university sanction would be in order as well. Can't just go off selling drugs and be okey dokey with the school.

As long as every other student on campus is treated the same, I agree.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 11th, 2015, 03:07 PM
As long as every other student on campus is treated the same, I agree.

Look, I was young once too but I never sold, bought, or took any kind of drugs, ever. One really big reason is they are ILLEGAL. This isn't breaking the ****ing speed limit on campus.

I guess it's from this point of view that I do not for one second understand HOW this can't be the way everyone is treated on campus. I mean WTF?

OSBF
May 11th, 2015, 03:15 PM
I've never understood why it's absolutely necessary to kick a kid out of the football program/school for something like this because they always catch on elsewhere. There's a plethora of FCS programs that've taken guys with similar issues from FBS schools and you don't hear much about it other than "well, he's deserves a 2nd chance and there'll be a zero tolerance policy with him going forward". Why is that so easy to do with a guy who developed elsewhere than with those who came up in your own program? If they boot Coprich I bet he resurfaces at a D2 school within a year. If this is his first offense I have no issue with Illinois St giving him a suspension but keeping him on the team (assuming there's now zero tolerance going forward for him).

Because this is the bind the program puts itself in when you bring in all these "2nd" chance guys. You count on them to be eligible, stay out of the backseat of po-po cruisers, and be on the field on beautiful sunny Saturday afternoons in the fall.

And then one(or 2 or 3) of them does something really dumm. Then you have a choice. Burry it deeper than a magma core or levy some sort of discipline and face the wrath of both those that say you were too strict and those that said you went too easy. The coach and the AD are really in a no-win situation.

Then heaven forbid someone you are counting on to be an integral cog in the machine does something so egregious that the only option is dismissal. Then you're left scrambling to plug a hole that you had no idea needed plugging.

In my way of thinking the best policy is perhaps avoidance. Just don't build your program around questionable character guys, even if its understood by all parties that the leash is incredibly short. The potential up-side with these guys is big, but so is the downside.

And that's not the case here at all, this really is a case of a decent kid that made a terrible decision.

Harris/Dunmore..............well they fall into the other category.

Professor Chaos
May 11th, 2015, 03:18 PM
Because this is the bind the program puts itself in when you bring in all these "2nd" chance guys. You count on them to be eligible, stay out of the backseat of po-po cruisers, and be on the field on beautiful sunny Saturday afternoons in the fall.

And then one(or 2 or 3) of them does something really dumm. Then you have a choice. Burry it deeper than a magma core or levy some sort of discipline and face the wrath of both those that say you were too strict and those that said you went too easy. The coach and the AD are really in a no-win situation.

Then heaven forbid someone you are counting on to be an integral cog in the machine does something so egregious that the only option is dismissal. Then you're left scrambling to plug a hole that you had no idea needed plugging.

In my way of thinking the best policy is perhaps avoidance. Just don't build your program around questionable character guys, even if its understood by all parties that the leash is incredibly short. The potential up-side with these guys is big, but so is the downside.

And that's not the case here at all, this really is a case of a decent kid that made a terrible decision.

Harris/Dunmore..............well they fall into the other category.
I can see your point. It can be necessary to make an example out of a guy if this is a trend at a program or if the coach/administration feels its the start of a trend.

I just hate the lynch mob mentality that the public tends to get to so quickly in the social media age. Our minds get made up without hearing hardly any facts and no amount of information thereafter is going to change them. I'm not saying Coprich should or shouldn't be booted, I'm just saying there's no great evil in punishing him without booting him if the situation warrants it.

AshevilleApp2
May 11th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Look, I was young once too but I never sold, bought, or took any kind of drugs, ever. One really big reason is they are ILLEGAL. This isn't breaking the ****ing speed limit on campus.

I guess it's from this point of view that I do not for one second understand HOW this can't be the way everyone is treated on campus. I mean WTF?

Well for one, some people can afford good legal representation, and that makes all the difference in the world. Maybe this kid can, I don't know.

Did you go to school in a vacuum and not realize what others were doing, or have things changed that much in the last two decades? Just because you shied away, doesn't mean everyone will. Kids make mistakes and get second chances, as well they should. How can you profess to be progressive and think otherwise?

NoDak 4 Ever
May 11th, 2015, 03:23 PM
As a student athlete, the acceptable behavior bar is pretty low. Don't commit crimes, don't get into fights, do what your coach says and no problem.

Redbird Recon
May 11th, 2015, 03:37 PM
Harris had MULTIPLE arrests for violent behavior and NOTHING was ever done to him. He finally got the boot after being arrested for FELONY mob action/gang violence, and he left spak with no other choice.
That is not why Harris got booted.

OSBF
May 11th, 2015, 03:42 PM
That is not why Harris got booted.

So being arrested multiple times for violent crime and finally being charged with felony mob action isn't enough to merit dismissal?

Maybe the whispers of us having a sleezy dirty program are really true.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 11th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Athletics programs are the front porch of the university. This fact means that athletes are NOT regular students. Their conduct is under much more scrutiny than regular undergrads, which is a double-edged sword. When it's great, athletes get talked about in the paper, on campus... everywhere, whereas the same non-athlete who does something great might not. Similarly, when an athlete does something stupid/illegal, it immediately gets reported nationally and the entire school takes a hit. The anonymous freshman who does the same does not. It might not be fair, but it's true.

If you as an athlete are not aware of this contract you don't deserve to play. IMO. Does it mean it's a one-strike policy? Yes.

Redbird Recon
May 11th, 2015, 03:47 PM
So being arrested multiple times for violent crime and finally being charged with felony mob action isn't enough to merit dismissal?

Maybe the whispers of us having a sleezy dirty program are really true.
This "mob action" you're referring to happened in May 2013. Harris was booted months before that charge. Try getting your facts straight.

But yes, let's throw an entire program, setting high marks both off and on the field, under the bus.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 11th, 2015, 04:03 PM
Hopefully he can recovers from this. I have no idea why he's selling between a 1/2 oz to an ounce of marijuana. This leads me to believe he might have been dealing in fairly large quantities. 95% of cops aren't going to set-up a deal for a gram or an 8th.

I'm extremely liberal when it comes to marijuana in general but this was simply a dumb move. I don't believe he should be kicked out of school or kicked off the team. However, he should face a substantial penalty from coach/league. 4-6 game suspension? Hopefully the local cops don't throw the book at him if he has no prior record....

NDB
May 11th, 2015, 04:08 PM
This "mob action" you're referring to happened in May 2013. Harris was booted months before that charge. Try getting your facts straight.

But yes, let's throw an entire program, setting high marks both off and on the field, under the bus.

I see what you did there...

Redbird Recon
May 11th, 2015, 04:11 PM
I see what you did there...
:) Freudian slip

IBleedYellow
May 11th, 2015, 04:44 PM
He messed up.

I'd say let the judicial process finish everything they want to do first while he is indefinitely suspended and then have the team punishment come after.

Give him his day in court. Maybe they find he was selling all the time...maybe it was a one off time. It's not our place to judge without facts.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 11th, 2015, 05:45 PM
He messed up.

I'd say let the judicial process finish everything they want to do first while he is indefinitely suspended and then have the team punishment come after.

Give him his day in court. Maybe they find he was selling all the time...maybe it was a one off time. It's not our place to judge without facts.

Sure it is dude! We have keyboards and so forth and it's our job to pass immediate judgment on all things, especially FCS matters! WE HAVE KEYBOARDS! We must show how upright and high our moral standars are!:D

NoDak 4 Ever
May 11th, 2015, 05:46 PM
Sure it is dude! We have keyboards and so forth and it's our job to pass immediate judgment on all things, especially FCS matters! WE HAVE KEYBOARDS! We must show how upright and high our moral standars are!:D

Well this isn't some guy who was in a car with some weed. He tried to sell it to a cop. That kind of removes all doubt, doesn't it?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 11th, 2015, 05:49 PM
Well this isn't some guy who was in a car with some weed. He tried to sell it to a cop. That kind of removes all doubt, doesn't it?

Yeah, I knew I should not have left the "facts" part of that statement out of the bold, cuz I'm sure he was doing it. My smiley retort would have been the same though.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 11th, 2015, 05:52 PM
Yeah, I knew I should not have left the "facts" part of that statement out of the bold, cuz I'm sure he was doing it. My smiley retort would have been the same though.

I don't think this is necessarily a question of morality or not either. What he has is a unique opportunity that, as I said earlier, has a very low bar for behavior. He knew that going in to it but he did it anyway. There's a kid out there who wants that scholarship that won't violate the team rules and the university code of conduct.

That's all I'm saying.

Go Green
May 11th, 2015, 06:08 PM
Dartmouth basketball had a scandal last month. Our starting point guard took too many classes that he graduated early. He's now ineligible under Ivy League rules.

Our coach was really pissed at him.

:(

FormerPokeCenter
May 11th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Apparently, Dartmouth has an "Unreasonable Progress" rule!

Bisonator
May 11th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Dartmouth basketball had a scandal last month. Our starting point guard took too many classes that he graduated early. He's now ineligible under Ivy League rules.

Our coach was really pissed at him.

:(

What a moran!:D

underdawg
May 11th, 2015, 06:57 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20710&stc=1.....SELLIN' WEED.....BIGGER OFFENSE.....DAN DOIN' WEED........HOWEVERAH....CAIN'T HAVE ONE...WHIFF-OUT.....DUH OTHERAH.........AWK!

A WISE bird indeed!

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 11th, 2015, 07:14 PM
Kid made a stupid mistake for sure.

Selling it is a way bigger deal than just sitting around with your buddies smoking mary jane.

I believe in 2nd chances so IMO, I would give him one but definitely suspend him for a certain amount of games if the charges are true. Ill State has relied on FBS transfers for some time and more than likely will find one if Coprich is eventually suspended......maybe they have one now?

frozennorth
May 11th, 2015, 07:33 PM

You're right, speeding through campus is a much more serious infraction. $10 fine for coprich sounds fair. No suspension.

PAllen
May 11th, 2015, 07:36 PM

Simple, when it's a four star recruit that the coaches never had a chance at out of high school who plays a position of need, they're all for second and third chances. When it's the walkon backup long snapper, he's gone before the charges are finished being filed. Integrity is fluid with many in a field where your job is dependent on win, just win.

BisonFan02
May 11th, 2015, 10:21 PM

https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcyyyxw5u51r1ukqvo1_500.gif

Bisonoline
May 11th, 2015, 10:25 PM
never underI've stood why it's absolutely necessary to kick a kid out of the football program/school for something like this because they always catch on elsewhere. There's a plethora of FCS programs that've taken guys with similar issues from FBS schools and you don't hear much about it other than "well, he's deserves a 2nd chance and there'll be a zero tolerance policy with him going forward". Why is that so easy to do with a guy who developed elsewhere than with those who came up in your own program? If they boot Coprich I bet he resurfaces at a D2 school within a year. If this is his first offense I have no issue with Illinois St giving him a suspension but keeping him on the team (assuming there's now zero tolerance going forward for him).

Because the holier than thou groups-people started demanding a pound of flesh from athletes for any transgression. They made such a ruckus that schools started handing out punishment as a PR to save the supposed integrity of the university. Over time it has just escalated to what we have today. A while back it was just a pond of flesh. Now they want people fired from jobs and athletes banned from the sport they play.

TheKingpin28
May 11th, 2015, 10:32 PM
The main issue with this is the following. If he is selling between .5 and 1oz then he obviously has enough connections to be able to move that amount, if not more. The example being that a cop has the opportunity to shut down a "small" gathering knowing what they are doing is wrong or go for the big leagues and stop a "large" gathering, hoping to make a statement to the people there by handing out minors and fines. From an objective viewpoint, it's financially more responsible to go for the bigger event since it has more to gain, however more to lose as well. The translation in this is that it makes little sense for a cop and/or DEA (probably way too small for the DEA) to go for the small time when they know if they set up a sting they can get a decent sized dealer "off the streets" and hopefully make a statement.

As had been stated, the difference between selling and using is vast. Whatever the punishment the judicial system hands out is what should be accepted and moved on. If they want to make an example out of him, they can since he is a recognizable face in Normal, and maybe that will prevent others from doing the same. If not, then that is their choice. Either way, whatever they give him should be taken to hear and hopefully he will learn what he did and that it is wrong and playing football is a privilege and not a right, no matter how big you are. (IE Tom Brady, even though I believe he got off very easily.

Bisonwinagn
May 11th, 2015, 10:51 PM
I agree selling is typically viewed as a much bigger deal. I don't think anyone really cares if he's caught smoking or possessing it then a one or two game suspension would be fine. It could end up being a lot longer though due to being in the distribution business. Also if he doesn't pay taxes on the income he will have to sit next to Al Capone.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 11th, 2015, 10:56 PM
https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcyyyxw5u51r1ukqvo1_500.gif

Not important but THAT GUY is married to this:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/cc/1e/71/cc1e71cbc6d8631f0a29a29fe78364b7.jpg

Just had to throw that out there.

PAllen
May 11th, 2015, 11:07 PM

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/cc/1e/71/cc1e71cbc6d8631f0a29a29fe78364b7.jpg

Now I'm freakin out man!

NDSUSR
May 12th, 2015, 12:35 AM
They must have had him under surveillance for a while to set up a buy. I think hes f#$@ed. Typically the cops will setup the buy within a school zone to leverage the prosecution. He is not a kid, he is an adult with a wife. If he cared about his NFL career he wouldn't have dealt drugs.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I feel bad for the guy, but he is smart enough to know better.

344Johnson
May 12th, 2015, 01:34 AM
Football is a privilege.

If it were up to me, he'd be gone. It's not my decision and I'm sure the university will deal with it in an appropriate manner.

longtimemocfan
May 12th, 2015, 06:58 AM
We had a similar situation occur with Keon Williams. He was not only suspended for a year, but had to meet several conditions both off the field and in the classroom to work his way back. To his credit he work his way back and was a 1000 yard rusher last year.

GABison
May 12th, 2015, 07:56 AM
It's one thing to get caught with a little bag of it under your bed, but it is another level of stupidity to be caught trying to sell the crap. Spack should kick him off the team just for being dumb.

Professor Chaos
May 12th, 2015, 08:19 AM
We had a similar situation occur with Keon Williams. He was not only suspended for a year, but had to meet several conditions both off the field and in the classroom to work his way back. To his credit he work his way back and was a 1000 yard rusher last year.
IMO, that's an infinitely better way to handle it than to immediately boot the guy in a lot of cases. There's a lot of unknowns left in this story though. If this was something he's been doing for a while as some have alluded to (since law enforcement may have set up a sting to catch him) then it's a much bigger deal than if this was something he did for the first time and got caught because he was still that stupid and naïve about it.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 12th, 2015, 08:25 AM
If he stays, it's going to be SO much better than Tirrell Rennie.

Drblankstare
May 12th, 2015, 08:51 AM

My brain is no longer able to process information after learning this.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 12th, 2015, 08:59 AM
My brain is no longer able to process information after learning this.

I'm still recovering from when I first heard.

superman7515
May 12th, 2015, 09:02 AM

A friend of mine was thrown out of UD on move in day freshman year. She got done moving in her stuff and decided to light up, RA walked by her window and smelled some funny smoke, claimed he thought there was a fire and came smashing through the door. No charges were pressed, but she was kicked off campus immediately and out of school once her little school trial thing went through. Straight A student, took a ton of AP courses in high school, absolutely great person, no priors for anything of any kind, just liked to smoke up every day. Never completed a day of college because of less than a bowl. No one will ever convince me that was appropriate. She did alright for herself though, owns her own business at the beach and such, but missed out on not just an education, but the life experiences that going away to college brings.

clenz
May 12th, 2015, 09:13 AM
If he stays, it's going to be SO much better than Tirrell Rennie.
?

NoDak 4 Ever
May 12th, 2015, 09:24 AM
?

Not Rennie, Justin Thorpe from JMU.

I SWEAR, it's only because of the purple that I confused them.

CrazyCat
May 12th, 2015, 11:05 AM
Sorry if I missed it, but does he have a red-shirt left ?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 12th, 2015, 11:34 AM
Sorry if I missed it, but does he have a red-shirt left ?

I don't know about that one but he has plenty of Purple Kush if you're looking.

CrazyCat
May 12th, 2015, 12:00 PM
I don't know about that one but he has plenty of Purple Kush if you're looking.

Ha ! I figured he'd be suspended for a year and could work his way back on the team if he had a year left.

and no thanks to the Kush. I tried for a time to be one of those casual pot smokers, but it didn't work out.xlolx I'll revisit the issue if it's medically helpful.xthumbsupx

Professor Chaos
May 12th, 2015, 12:37 PM
He'll be a senior this year but he does have a redshirt year left judging by his bio (http://goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4012&path=football).

May 12th, 2015, 12:42 PM
It's one thing to get caught with a little bag of it under your bed, but it is another level of stupidity to be caught trying to sell the crap. Spack should kick him off the team just for being dumb.

Problem for him is dealing is a felony. Most likely he would get probation but a felony conviction is a big deal. The university could expel him.

OSBF
May 12th, 2015, 01:16 PM

Leme' 'splain the time line to you.

Kicked off team AND out of school, concurrently, in March 2013

Felony charges sought by States Attorney in May 2013

wait for it...........................

For an incident that occurred in MARCH 2013

And, FWIW, the earlier "incident" that he got a 100% free pass on was for domestic violence

Not that anyone associated with ILS is willing to put on their objectivity goggles and find anything at all wrong with DI athletes that like to go out and knock around chicks

Twentysix
May 13th, 2015, 05:47 AM
A friend of mine was thrown out of UD on move in day freshman year. She got done moving in her stuff and decided to light up, RA walked by her window and smelled some funny smoke, claimed he thought there was a fire and came smashing through the door. No charges were pressed, but she was kicked off campus immediately and out of school once her little school trial thing went through. Straight A student, took a ton of AP courses in high school, absolutely great person, no priors for anything of any kind, just liked to smoke up every day. Never completed a day of college because of less than a bowl. No one will ever convince me that was appropriate. She did alright for herself though, owns her own business at the beach and such, but missed out on not just an education, but the life experiences that going away to college brings.

I had a friend whose roommate was arrested in a dorm room raid, the roommate was kicked out of school at NDSU for the marijuana found in his dorm room.

Twentysix
May 13th, 2015, 05:50 AM
Problem for him is dealing is a felony. Most likely he would get probation but a felony conviction is a big deal. The university could expel him.

NDSU has history of expelling non-athletes for this, or did in the Chapman era.

unigriff
May 13th, 2015, 01:00 PM
The argument we are all making but not saying is Moral vs. Winning.

A good moral coach who wants a stand up program and believes the team is greater than the individual, will boot or suspend for a lengthy duration of time until 1. the judicial system runs its course and questions are answered and re-evaluated later or out permanently vs. a coach who really wants to win and believes he/she can't win without that player and tries to find any and all reasons not to get rid of them.

Example - Truck driver gets an OWI/DWI, will lose job instantly in almost all cases no matter if it was on job or not. Does his time, pays fines, what have you and is clean for the future...but will never get hired again by a trucking company and/or others because of bad decision making, liability to the company. But a truck driver who is tops in delivery time, satisfaction, and helps bring big bucks to the company, has same issue but is reinstated after probationary period just so the company can stay strong financially/save face.

Also could have to do with who you know, and your relationship inside too.

Clenz could probably back me up on this...UNI's two WR knuckleheads...Johnny Gray was the entertainment face of UNIs football team with his kickoff/punt returns and was a standout track athlete to boot. (shoot i still have his #4 jersey, which technically i got before Johnny came to campus) Was a fan favorite for a lot. Williams was superb as well. But Farley, while he can be an ass most of the time to the players/staff, he is a firm coach on rules and didn't put up with it. (had they been defensive players, Farley's speciality, would it have changed? I personally think unlikely...). I personally remember when this happened and I think a lot of us were more pissed at Johnny and wanted his head than saying..oh its just a lil pot. (mind you Grays arrest was based off a tip given to the authorities originally). I can't even remember thinking it as its just a lil pot, everyone does it, no big deal, he'll still play. At that time you could argue they cost us the national title shot that year...but really (and clenz would agree)...a certain OC cost us that and many other games :). Farley made the right decision at the time. I don't think he'd change it either.

OSBF
May 13th, 2015, 01:09 PM

Ethics and integrity.

I have a tremendous amount of respect for those programs that collect "W"'s and maintain a high level of ethics and integrity

It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 13th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Ah, you both are looking at ethics, morality, or any descriptor in one way only. From the perspective of what the public thinks you should do as a university.

I look at it from that point. I also look at it from the point that there are good people that make dumb, dumb mistakes. They look back on those mistakes and can become not only way more interesting people but also way more appreciative and productive members of society that have learned a lesson.

We don't hold much against a man stealing a loaf of bread to feed his family. He's a thief but we can see why he did it for sure. Not saying Coprich is selling to feed his family but I don't know the whole story either. As I said I wouldn't be willing to can someone in this situation just yet cuz it's not something he's repeated after having opportunity to learn the sting of failure. If he does then there is no question in my mind that he isn't worthy of more cuz he's just a damaged, unrepentant individual.

A good moral coach probably sees these kids more as young people they have a chance to affect with their actions than just what they get out of keeping the kid on the team. I know that isn't the knee jerk analysis that some of you like to practice but all the same I think it's probably got more to do with it than just the ol' "this guy can do X for me so I'm overlooking Y" type of thing. I'm sure that has a bit to do with it but that ain't the whole story and has less than one would think is my bet.

FormerPokeCenter
May 13th, 2015, 09:57 PM
Maybe Coprich thought the Undercover PoPo looked like he was on chemo and in need of some weed to help deal with the medicine??

Go Green
May 14th, 2015, 05:49 AM

Bobby Bowden may have talked tough against Jameis Winston this week. But when he was the actual coach, he was notorious for having separate standards for starters. If one of his good players was caught breaking the law, Bowden would just have him run extra laps after practice or sit out the first series against Wake Forest....

Nickels
May 14th, 2015, 09:07 AM
We don't hold much against a man stealing a loaf of bread to feed his family. He's a thief but we can see why he did it for sure. Not saying Coprich is selling to feed his family but I don't know the whole story either.
It's easy to judge someone selling if you haven't walked in their shoes. A little bad luck, a tough financial situation, no support system and an empty pantry might sway some of you to make the same decision he did. Especially if your upbringing/environment exposed you to the life of users.

He didn't rob or steal. He supposedly sold a natural substance to another consenting adult. I don't see anything wrong with it morally.

I-AA Fan
May 14th, 2015, 09:15 AM
I do not think he sees a field again. It is one thing to be caught smoking; it is another to deal. Courts cannot let that slide, no matter how small the amount.

PAllen
May 14th, 2015, 09:19 AM
I have no problem with him being allowed to remain on the team until he is convicted at trial. If and when that happens, suspension or expulsion from the university should be handled in a manner consistent with the treatment of other students at the university. suspension or expulsion from the team should be handled in a manner consistent with set team rules and based on the severity of the crime committed. I too am less upset by selling one joint than I am about assault and battery or other violent crimes.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 09:25 AM
I have no problem with him being allowed to remain on the team until he is convicted at trial. If and when that happens, suspension or expulsion from the university should be handled in a manner consistent with the treatment of other students at the university. suspension or expulsion from the team should be handled in a manner consistent with set team rules and based on the severity of the crime committed. I too am less upset by selling one joint than I am about assault and battery or other violent crimes.

This is more than one joint.

clenz
May 14th, 2015, 09:53 AM
What if a trial isn't until Jan?

What if he's found guilty at that time?

clenz
May 14th, 2015, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=Nickels;2222775]It's easy to judge someone selling if you haven't walked in their shoes. A little bad luck, a tough financial situation, no support system and an empty pantry might sway some of you to make the same decision he did. Especially if your upbringing/environment exposed you to the life of users.
He didn't rob or steal. He supposedly sold a natural substance to another consenting adult. I don't see anything wrong with it morally.[
/QUOTE]

Let me rephrase your last part.

He didn't rob or steal. He was caught, by the cop, selling a substance that is illegal to said cop. I don't see anything wrong with it morally.

This is a legal matter, not a moral issue. even if you want to go moralizing this - i would assume that intentionally selling an illegal substance would be considered immoral.

Regardless what your views on if weed should be illegal or not the fact remains that it is still illegal in Illinois. That's really all that matters

CrazyCat
May 14th, 2015, 10:06 AM
This whole pot thing is kinda confusing. Would a football player at a Colorado school be in trouble for legally selling? I'm sure it's against NCAA rules either way?

It's not good for the "brand" to keep a dealer on the team, but at the same time, schools praise these second chance kids when it works out or they fade away in the "what ever happened to that kid" story. We had a fairly similar story in DT Connor Thomas(although quite a bit funnier). He got busted selling pot brownies at a graduation party. He put too much pot in them and kids were freaking out. His full ride to MSU was promptly pulled. He spent a year at C.C. just going to school . He then contacted the coaches and asked if there was any way to get on the team. With many stipulations and conditions. He was allowed to walk-on. Although battling through some nagging injuries. He will possibly start this fall. And by the way he is a Big Sky all- academic with damn near a 4.0 in Cell Biology & Neuroscience.

So, I guess my opinion on Coprich is similar. Fair or not. Illegal or legal. We will probably read his 2nd chance story coming from a different school during his NFL Draft bio.

clenz
May 14th, 2015, 10:10 AM
He probably sold, if it was an ounce, for about 200 or 300 bucks. By the time the "higher ups" are paid he is making very, very, little. It's not like he's going to be able to feed his family on that one time sale. That means he is either growing (a much more serious offense) or is selling large volumes over multiple targets

FormerPokeCenter
May 14th, 2015, 10:14 AM
We had a DT get busted trying to sell some coke back in the 80's, about two weeks before local election for District Attorney.....and.....the father of one of our linebackers was running for DA at the time, and - of course - the local TV station shows our DT taking his perp walk from the squad car to book-in wearing...wait for it....a Tee-shirt for the LB Dad's campaign.

Yeah, he didn't win...and the DT was gone, too...

PAllen
May 14th, 2015, 11:13 AM
He probably sold, if it was an ounce, for about 200 or 300 bucks. By the time the "higher ups" are paid he is making very, very, little. It's not like he's going to be able to feed his family on that one time sale. That means he is either growing (a much more serious offense) or is selling large volumes over multiple targets

Or he had some dude hounding him for a joint and he finally gave in, but said that he had paid good money for it and wanted to get what he paid for it back.

Or, he was just hanging out and some overzealous cop came up and planted a joint in order to get a high profile arrest.

Or, none of the above.

We don't know the facts, or even the evidence. That's exactly why I'm OK with waiting until the facts are known before passing judgement. So you pull this kid's scholarship, kick him out of school, and black ball him from any further interest from other parties. Then in a year, the case is dropped, and in five years the cop involved is charged with planting evidence in multiple cases, or the prosecutor is charged with multiple counts of malicious prosecution. Then what have you accomplished other than severely crippling this young man's ability to be a contributing member of society?

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Or he had some dude hounding him for a joint and he finally gave in, but said that he had paid good money for it and wanted to get what he paid for it back.

Or, he was just hanging out and some overzealous cop came up and planted a joint in order to get a high profile arrest.

Or, none of the above.

We don't know the facts, or even the evidence. That's exactly why I'm OK with waiting until the facts are known before passing judgement. So you pull this kid's scholarship, kick him out of school, and black ball him from any further interest from other parties. Then in a year, the case is dropped, and in five years the cop involved is charged with planting evidence in multiple cases, or the prosecutor is charged with multiple counts of malicious prosecution. Then what have you accomplished other than severely crippling this young man's ability to be a contributing member of society?

The charge is at least 10 grams. It is my understanding that a joint weighs less than a gram (.7 grams is what I saw) so you're looking at an amount between 10-15 joints on the low end. Did you see that bag that weighed 25 grams? That's a lot of weed.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 14th, 2015, 11:38 AM
This is all minutia. The kid broke the law. He made a mistake, but he still broke the law. If he gets another chance elsewhere, power to him, but at least the other school will do so full in the knowledge that he broke the law. Much different from the Illinois State perspective, where the kid has already embarrassed the university and put them in the position to be seen as the school that lets felonies slide.

PAllen
May 14th, 2015, 11:47 AM
This is all minutia. The kid broke the law. He made a mistake, but he still broke the law. If he gets another chance elsewhere, power to him, but at least the other school will do so full in the knowledge that he broke the law. Much different from the Illinois State perspective, where the kid has already embarrassed the university and put them in the position to be seen as the school that lets felonies slide.

The kid allegedly broke the law. If proven in court, the legal system should hand out its punishment accordingly. Likewise, if the university or coach are convinced that he did beyond a reasonable doubt, then they should hand out punishment according to their established rules and guidelines. I honestly have no idea how much pot we're talking about here, and until it is presented as evidence in a courtroom, neither does anyone else, unless there's been a confession that I don't know about.

If/when this gets pleaded down to disturbing the peace, I'll be interested to hear what you all have to say.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 11:49 AM
The kid allegedly broke the law. If proven in court, the legal system should hand out its punishment accordingly. Likewise, if the university or coach are convinced that he did beyond a reasonable doubt, then they should hand out punishment according to their established rules and guidelines. I honestly have no idea how much pot we're talking about here, and until it is presented as evidence in a courtroom, neither does anyone else, unless there's been a confession that I don't know about.

If/when this gets pleaded down to disturbing the peace, I'll be interested to hear what you all have to say.

If selling weed to a cop gets pleaded down to disturbing the peace, that's a pretty screwed up system.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 14th, 2015, 11:52 AM

I really do like seeing it when people are reasonable like this and don't immediately grab for the pitchforks.xthumbsupx

OSBF
May 14th, 2015, 01:12 PM

LOL LOL LOL

They've had 2 instances of domestic violence, 1 football and 1 basketball in which NOTHING was done.

Oh sure there was the usual "indefinite" suspension, which was summarily lifted and no field/court time was missed

If DV doesn't cause embarrassment to anyone associated with the university, this sure isn't going to.

SOME(ie., not all) of our fanbase went so far as to rationalize/justify that the women "deserved" it, or that they "had it coming"

A dude selling some weed isn't going to mean jack squat to them

NDSUSR
May 14th, 2015, 01:25 PM
LOL LOL LOL

They've had 2 instances of domestic violence, 1 football and 1 basketball in which NOTHING was done.

Oh sure there was the usual "indefinite" suspension, which was summarily lifted and no field/court time was missed

If DV doesn't cause embarrassment to anyone associated with the university, this sure isn't going to.

SOME(ie., not all) of our fanbase went so far as to rationalize/justify that the women "deserved" it, or that they "had it coming"

A dude selling some weed isn't going to mean jack squat to them

Nice program.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Tell me, if this happened right now during rookie mini camp for a NFL team, would they keep him? If it had happened a month ago would he have been drafted?

Are you saying the NCAA/Illinois State has lower standards for behavior than the NFL?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 14th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Tell me, if this happened right now during rookie mini camp for a NFL team, would they keep him? If it had happened a month ago would he have been drafted?

Are you saying the NCAA/Illinois State has lower standards for behavior than the NFL?

This didn't happen when they were recruiting him. It's well into his career. Would you like to compare them now that I've set that level playing field for you?

NDSUSR
May 14th, 2015, 01:44 PM
From the Redbird forum:

Greenlock: "It amazes me the negativity about how this has hurt our reputation or our brand. Hell, if ISU could get branded as the pot school in Illinois it may help in recruiting".

Lowering the bar in previously unknown ways.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 01:52 PM
This didn't happen when they were recruiting him. It's well into his career. Would you like to compare them now that I've set that level playing field for you?

I'm doing a comparison. He is currently not in season for anybody as his scholarship is renewable yearly. I know the argument I made, no help needed.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 14th, 2015, 01:54 PM
I'm doing a comparison. He is currently not in season for anybody as his scholarship is renewable yearly. I know the argument I made, no help needed.

So you don't want a comparison...got it.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 02:00 PM
So you don't want a comparison...got it.

Honestly, I don't know what's so hard about this. It's legal some places but not in Illinois. It wasn't one joint, it wasn't sitting in the console of a car he was riding in, he sold it to a cop.

You're telling me that he should just get a couple games like he got a dui or something?

OSBF
May 14th, 2015, 02:01 PM

Do you agree that there is a difference between this situation and violent/anti-social behavior?

I understand that breaking the law is breaking the law.

But my personal moral/ethical compass has this much lower value of "badness" than a guy that knocks around his GF, or repeatedly has issues with violent type behavior.

Should there be some sort of consequence for the poor decision? Certainly.

Does this merit termination of a scholarship? I'm not 100% sure

I know we hear it EVERY time something like this happens, but this really is a case of a good kid that made a poor decision, not a case of a thuggish kid that lived up to expectations.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Do you agree that there is a difference between this situation and violent/anti-social behavior?

But my personal moral/ethical compass has this much lower value of "badness" than a guy that knocks around his GF, or repeatedly has issues with violent type behavior.

I know we hear it EVERY time something like this happens, but this really is a case of a good kid that made a poor decision, not a case of a thuggish kid that lived up to expectations.

It did the last time it happened at NDSU

http://archive.kare11.com/news/article/719738/14/Former-NDSU-football-player-from-Minnetonka-facing-drug-charges-

Bisonator
May 14th, 2015, 02:11 PM
Honestly, I don't know what's so hard about this. It's legal some places but not in Illinois. It wasn't one joint, it wasn't sitting in the console of a car he was riding in, he sold it to a cop.

You're telling me that he should just get a couple games like he got a dui or something?

The problem is you already have him convicted. Why not let the legal system play out? NDSU fans should understand that!

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 02:12 PM
The problem is you already have him convicted. Why not let the legal system play out? NDSU fans should understand that!

Bohl booted Schultenover when they just found it at his apartment. Coprich sold it to a cop.

Bisonator
May 14th, 2015, 02:16 PM
Bohl booted Schultenover when they just found it at his apartment. Coprich sold it to a cop.

Again why do you have to be judge and jury?

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Again why do you have to be judge and jury?

I'm a guy on a message board, who cares? I'm not sure what facts would come out that would make him not have sold weed to a cop.

Bisonator
May 14th, 2015, 02:25 PM
I'm a guy on a message board, who cares? I'm not sure what facts would come out that would make him not have sold weed to a cop.

Kind of like "I don't know what facts would come out that would not have made a player knock some dude out in an alley"???;)

AshevilleApp2
May 14th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I respect coaches (not institutions) that choose to drop people for minor criminal offenses.

Just reading through this though, it seems that NDSU, and a few UNI, fans are making the biggest noise to dump the kid. Not all of course. How much of this is righteous indignation and how much is wanting to hamstring an opponent?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 14th, 2015, 02:31 PM

Why are you quoting me and then stating what I've been stating? Are you not getting what's been laid out here or am I missing something with your post?

Bisonator
May 14th, 2015, 02:33 PM
I respect coaches (not institutions) that choose to drop people for minor criminal offenses.

Just reading through this though, it seems that NDSU, and a few UNI, fans are making the biggest noise to dump the kid. Not all of course. How much of this is righteous indignation and how much is wanting to hamstring an opponent?

I don't know, Coprich didn't really do a whole lot against NDSU in the chipper.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 14th, 2015, 02:36 PM

Put the pitchforks down son. I think is absolutely NOT any sort of big deal at all. Pot shouldn't be illegal to begin with but even if it is now I don't put any sort of big deal on him breaking this law at all. I know we have to follow laws living in a society and all but I don't have to pretend this is a big deal whether some of you want to act like this some sort of New Jack City deal or not.

It's fcuking marijuana, BFD. This is at the level of speeding in my book.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 02:36 PM

I know what I would want my team to do. If fact, they did it.

OSBF
May 14th, 2015, 02:37 PM
Why are you quoting me and then stating what I've been stating? Are you not getting what's been laid out here or am I missing something with your post?

sorry

just wondering if you draw a distinction between this and some dude that lays the pimp hand to his GF

Do you agree that there are levels of "bad"?

Or is a "second" chance deserved for about any transgression?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 14th, 2015, 02:44 PM
sorry

just wondering if you draw a distinction between this and some dude that lays the pimp hand to his GF

Do you agree that there are levels of "bad"?

Or is a "second" chance deserved for about any transgression?

Dude, I've covered this all from the very beginning of the thread and have not wavered on it so not sure why the point is misunderstood. I believe that I pointed out in the very first post that this is non*violent and therefore a better deal in my mind.

There are levels of bad...I did recently compare this to a speeding ticket but you probably hadn't seen that prior to this post.

I've stated my support several times over for giving a guy a second chance but after that he's out of chances.

You are either f'n with me or you just are not reading my man.

clenz
May 14th, 2015, 02:59 PM

This could be David Johnson and I'd say the same.

Last time a UNI player got caught selling he was booted within 3 days. So was his roommate and receiver mate , who wasn't named as a dealer.

I was in full favor of Terrell Sinkfield being booted before his senior year because he hot hit with a disorderly stemming from a party in July.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 03:05 PM

Last time a UNI player got caught selling he was booted within 3 days. So was his roommate and receiver mate , who wasn't named as a dealer.

I was in full favor of Terrell Sinkfield being booted before his senior year because he hot hit with a disorderly stemming from a party in July.

It seems from this thread one's level of tolerance for this kind of thing is influenced by a couple of factors

-your stance on marijuana

-whether or not you're a ISU fan

unigriff
May 14th, 2015, 03:11 PM
i dont think it matters what someone's stance is on marijuana...it's illegal. simply put. There is not right on that issue. Whether you do it or not/like it, etc..it's illegal. There shouldn't be any gray area there. Facts override bias, personal opinion.

I can agree with bias towards hating a school though.

AshevilleApp2
May 14th, 2015, 03:13 PM
It seems from this thread one's level of tolerance for this kind of thing is influenced by a couple of factors

Or your ability to differentiate what constitutes a serious offense of the law and how it can change the course of a young persons life.

clenz
May 14th, 2015, 03:14 PM
Or your ability to differentiate what constitutes a serious offense of the law and how it can change the course of a young persons life.
Is he not facing felony charges?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 14th, 2015, 03:16 PM
i dont think it matters what someone's stance is on marijuana...it's illegal. simply put. There is not right on that issue. Whether you do it or not/like it, etc..it's illegal. There shouldn't be any gray area there. Facts override bias, personal opinion.

I can agree with bias towards hating a school though.

It's illegal, like speeding, jaywalking, etc. Don't mean ****.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 14th, 2015, 03:18 PM

The dollar abount is what gets him in trouble?

AshevilleApp2
May 14th, 2015, 03:22 PM

Yes, via an antiquated law that will likely be gone nationwide in the next ? years. And according to you it is a "narcotic". Look up the word and see if it really applies. Not by the law, but the real meaning.

Back to my recent post, why are you so interested in how another school handles the issue? IMO you mind your own house and let other mind theirs.

PAllen
May 14th, 2015, 03:42 PM

And why is getting drunk and then taking control of a two ton missile and endangering large numbers of innocent civilians until stopped by police any less of an infraction?

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 03:46 PM
And why is getting drunk and then taking control of a two ton missile and endangering large numbers of innocent civilians until stopped by police any less of an infraction?

In the eyes of the law, it is. DUI in Illinois is a Class A Misdemeanor. Coprich has been charged with a Class 4 Felony.

PAllen
May 14th, 2015, 03:47 PM

I'm personally against both, but I think the kid deserves a fair shake and due process. If found guilty of dealing, treat him the way you would any other student at the institution and treat him according to the established and ever mentioned "team rules". Until then, watch him closely to make sure he doesn't screw anything else up, but let him be.

- - - Updated - - -

In the eyes of the law, it is. DUI in Illinois is a Class A Misdemeanor. Coprich has been charged with a Class 4 Felony.

And morally, I have a problem with that. One endangers the lives of many others, one does not.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 14th, 2015, 05:03 PM
Khalif Wyatt was a big-time bball player for Temple recently. He got caught trying to get an escort in an undercover sting operation. Dunphy, who is a pretty high-character guy, decided not to kick Wyatt off the team. Instead, Wyatt paid a $1,000 fine and did community service like any other normal student would face. Once those things were accomplished he was welcomed back to the team without suspension from the school or A10.

The biggest thing with Coprich, imo, is to what depth the selling went. If he would occasionally "hook" people up or "get it for them" and wasn't an everyday dealer than that should be taken into consideration. However, if he thought he was the Tony Montana of Carbondale by pushing some serious weight then he should face an increased penalty for simply being overly dumb. I don't see weed as a problem but you still have to watch your butt, i.e. don't get greedy or arrogant. Cops in MOST areas really aren't interested in the small time weed guy anymore.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 14th, 2015, 06:05 PM
Khalif Wyatt was a big-time bball player for Temple recently. He got caught trying to get an escort in an undercover sting operation. Dunphy, who is a pretty high-character guy, decided not to kick Wyatt off the team. Instead, Wyatt paid a $1,000 fine and did community service like any other normal student would face. Once those things were accomplished he was welcomed back to the team without suspension from the school or A10.

The biggest thing with Coprich, imo, is to what depth the selling went. If he would occasionally "hook" people up or "get it for them" and wasn't an everyday dealer than that should be taken into consideration. However, if he thought he was the Tony Montana of Carbondale by pushing some serious weight then he should face an increased penalty for simply being overly dumb. I don't see weed as a problem but you still have to watch your butt, i.e. don't get greedy or arrogant. Cops in MOST areas really aren't interested in the small time weed guy anymore.

ISU is in Normal.

Carbondale's more like this:

http://photo2.ask.fm/408/299/555/-239996987-1sra4a1-b8r62b6sakofft5/preview/file.jpg

ursus arctos horribilis
May 14th, 2015, 06:09 PM
ISU is in Normal.

http://photo2.ask.fm/408/299/555/-239996987-1sra4a1-b8r62b6sakofft5/preview/file.jpg

xlolx

clenz
May 14th, 2015, 06:40 PM
ISU is in Normal.

That's most of Illinois, even if more concentrated in Carbondale

PAllen
May 14th, 2015, 09:18 PM
That's most of Illinois, even if more concentrated in Carbondale

That explains a lot.

TheKingpin28
May 14th, 2015, 11:35 PM

Went to highschool with Terrell back at Hopkins. Interesting character. Should have stuck with the shotput and discuss as I always thought he was better at that then on the football field. Him and Marcus though were fun to watch.

NDSUSR
May 15th, 2015, 01:15 AM
Dude sold weed to a cop... Idiot. ISU nuthuggers harden the **** up, hes done.
One idiot on the ISU board is saying that he will get off is a fool.
**** MC, he pissed it away.

Its a shame that NDSU wont be able to bitchslap him back to California this year....

/thread

Ok... keep on discussing it like it will matter... The kid is done by his own accord. too bad so sad.

clenz
May 15th, 2015, 08:30 AM
Went to highschool with Terrell back at Hopkins. Interesting character. Should have stuck with the shotput and discuss as I always thought he was better at that then on the football field. Him and Marcus though were fun to watch.
He has/had all the potential in the world to be one of the best UNI has ever seen. He just seemed to get too caught up in whatever hype there was and never really seemed to be able to grow his game beyond "I'm really fast, so I'm just going to try to outrun everyone". It's a shame, because with his speed and size he could have had a very nice NFL career as a 2 or 3 WR had he learned to run routes and give effort on even 20% of the plays he wasn't the target of.

clenz
May 15th, 2015, 09:00 AM
Yes, via an antiquated law that will likely be gone nationwide in the next ? years. And according to you it is a "narcotic". Look up the word and see if it really applies. Not by the law, but the real meaning.

Back to my recent post, why are you so interested in how another school handles the issue? IMO you mind your own house and let other mind theirs.
Again, we are dealing with the law. It doesn't matter if you, or I, think it's antiquated. The fact of the matter is that it is still the law.

Hell, in CO and WA you can still lose your job, be suspended, etc... for testing positive for weed. It's legal there but there are still consequences to doing it.

This isn't a case where they think they caught him selling to someone. He ****ing sold to a cop. That's pretty cut and dry that he isn't innocent. He sold at least 10 grams - or roughly 12 joints - to the cop. Chances are he probably sold a full ounce - or something like 40-50 joints based on the "standard" joint that a dispensary will sell (between .5g and .8g seems to be the average).

I'm not big into the weed culture, but that seems like a fair amount of week to be smoking.

As to "minding my own house".........should a time come up that a UNI athlete is busted selling an illegal substance to a cop and charged with a felony than you bet I will. I can also promise you I'll have the exact same stance.

Also funny that an App State fan, an FBS team, using a WCU avatar, a SoCon team, is worried about what an MVFC fan thinks about a player from the MVFC. You do see the absolute irony in that...right? Please say yes, because if you don't then...well...

Redbird Recon
May 15th, 2015, 09:38 AM
I'm guessing he'll miss a couple games. More info yet to come. It won't let him off the hook, but it will make it an easier pill to swallow.

clenz
May 15th, 2015, 09:44 AM
I'm guessing he'll miss a couple games. More info yet to come. It won't let him off the hook, but it will make it an easier pill to swallow.
Easier pill to swallow?

He committed a felony, outside of a gun being held at his head by someone saying "If you don't sell this weed I'm going to kill you and your family" I don't see how there's an easier way to "swallow" committing a felony.

You seem to know, so how about you share this information? Or...you know...say nothing to back up your supposed "insider information"

Redbird Recon
May 15th, 2015, 10:00 AM
All in due time, my friend. I'm not passing judgement. Just passing on some rumblings. Probably a few games which will probably cost us a chance at beating the Hawkeyes.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 15th, 2015, 10:10 AM
All in due time, my friend. I'm not passing judgement. Just passing on some rumblings. Probably a few games which will probably cost us a chance at beating the Hawkeyes.

That is stunning. Clearly a different standard of behavior at some MVFC schools than others.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 15th, 2015, 10:50 AM
Some of you mofo's are just wound way too tight. xlolx

I'll look forward to more information coming out. See what the full story is in a month or so and then see how professionals handle the situation that they are paid to do.

Then we can find something else to discuss so you can exert your high moral standards on us all.xthumbsupx

Redbird Recon
May 15th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Let's be honest. This is a huge year for Spack. Make another deep run and he'll be on a short list for the Illini.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 15th, 2015, 11:10 AM

I'll look forward to more information coming out. See what the full story is in a month or so and then see how professionals handle the situation that they are paid to do.

Then we can find something else to discuss so you can exert your high moral standards on us all.xthumbsupx

If he indeed sold weed to a cop, that is all I need to know.

Unless something comes out that refutes that fact, I don't think my opinion will change.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 15th, 2015, 11:23 AM
If he indeed sold weed to a cop, that is all I need to know.

Unless something comes out that refutes that fact, I don't think my opinion will change.

I hear ya, that's what I meant by wound pretty tight. I'm fairly loose on the matter obviously so I'd assume as most things go this probably ends up somewhere in the middle of what each of us think. Neither side has what they think should happen come to fruition which is as it probably should be. Difference is the "Holy roller" style of thinking on matters will actually see it as a travesty and I'll see it as a compromise.

Not that we are the ones needing to be satisfied just saying this is how things normally work on macro scale by looking at the micro.

BTW, you sound very Republican on this matter. xlolx

AshevilleApp2
May 15th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Again, we are dealing with the law. It doesn't matter if you, or I, think it's antiquated. The fact of the matter is that it is still the law.

Hell, in CO and WA you can still lose your job, be suspended, etc... for testing positive for weed. It's legal there but there are still consequences to doing it.

This isn't a case where they think they caught him selling to someone. He ****ing sold to a cop. That's pretty cut and dry that he isn't innocent. He sold at least 10 grams - or roughly 12 joints - to the cop. Chances are he probably sold a full ounce - or something like 40-50 joints based on the "standard" joint that a dispensary will sell (between .5g and .8g seems to be the average).

I'm not big into the weed culture, but that seems like a fair amount of week to be smoking.

As to "minding my own house".........should a time come up that a UNI athlete is busted selling an illegal substance to a cop and charged with a felony than you bet I will. I can also promise you I'll have the exact same stance.

Also funny that an App State fan, an FBS team, using a WCU avatar, a SoCon team, is worried about what an MVFC fan thinks about a player from the MVFC. You do see the absolute irony in that...right? Please say yes, because if you don't then...well...

Nice! Gonna play the FBS card I see. xlolx

I never argued that he was arrested for selling to a cop, or that he doesn't deserve punishment. My contention is that he deserves a chance to learn from it and move on, the chance that most people get. As for weighing in on an MVFC matter, blow me. You have opinions outside your conference as well.

I believe that he will get the appropriate punishment as deemed by his coaching staff, just as it should be. When it happens to a player from UNI, I hope the consequences meet your satisfaction.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 15th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I hear ya, that's what I meant by wound pretty tight. I'm fairly loose on the matter obviously so I'd assume as most things go this probably ends up somewhere in the middle of what each of us think. Neither side has what they think should happen come to fruition which is as it probably should be. Difference is the "Holy roller" style of thinking on matters will actually see it as a travesty and I'll see it as a compromise.

Not that we are the ones needing to be satisfied just saying this is how things normally work on macro scale by looking at the micro.

BTW, you sound very Republican on this matter. xlolx

I hardly think that law and order are political ideals. It's not like he "mistakenly" committed a felony. If I disagree with a law, it doesn't exempt me from it.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 15th, 2015, 11:55 AM
I hardly think that law and order are political ideals. It's not like he "mistakenly" committed a felony. If I disagree with a law, it doesn't exempt me from it.

Yeah, not sure how any of that isn't common knowledge.

MR. CHICKEN
May 15th, 2015, 12:08 PM
MOST POSTS.......IN DIS THREAD.......REMINDS DUH CHICKEN....UH...."BREAK-ROOM" LAWYERS.........WHEN AH HAD EMPLOYMENT.....xnodx...DOODLE-DOO!

clenz
May 15th, 2015, 12:18 PM

Listen, I think weed should be legal. I think most drug laws, especially related to weed, are pretty dumb.

That doesn't change the fact that the law is still the law right now. I think it's stupid that the speed limit on one of the roads I take home is 35. There are no houses around and won't be for years until it's developed. The city "zoned" the empty lots (which are still corn and bean fields) so instead of 55 I get to do 35 when 55 is perfectly safe. If I do 55 I know there's a chance I'm getting pulled over (a very high chance, given how cops in Marion, IA work). I know there's a chance I'll lose my license on the spot (very high chance given how Marion PD works) for going 20 over the speed limit. If I do that and get busted I knowingly did something that was illegal. No one else is in danger if I'm doing 55 on that road (just as no one else is by Coprich selling weed). Doesn't change the fact that if I break the law I have to live with the consequences.

He committed a felony. To me committing a felony is enough to lose your privilege to play intercollegiate athletics. Especially in a case like this where it involved selling direct to a cop. This isn't a "the cop thinks he saw it happen" situation. This is a "the drugs went right into the cops hands" situation.

Cops don't go around busting small time dealers for the hell of it. They had a reason to target Coprich.

The only thing that can make this "look" better is he is going to fess to who his supplier is to get a plea down to something else. Doesn't change the fact that he committed a felony.

Maybe I'm in the wrong because I want the people that represent my university to not commit felonies and be decent people (at least publicly). UNI has had a couple cases with legal issues - Sinkfield and his disorderly conduct. Johnny Gray and his drug charge (remember, Victor Williams was also booted off the team instantly even though all charges against him were dropped and the police admitted he was doing nothing illegal. I believe that happened before UNI was eliminated from the playoffs as well but he still wasn't allowed back on the team). There was a rape case in about 03. Those players were booted before charges were pressed, or before they were finished reading the players their rights (now the school mangled that a little bit but the football program didn't piddle around).

I'm used to a program that takes action when players are brought up on charges. Maybe I'm the one in the wrong.

AshevilleApp2
May 15th, 2015, 12:19 PM
MOST POSTS.......IN DIS THREAD.......REMINDS DUH CHICKEN....UH...."BREAK-ROOM" LAWYERS.........WHEN AH HAD EMPLOYMENT.....xnodx...DOODLE-DOO!

Of course Mr. Chicken, we are all a bunch of Constitutional scholars!xlolx

clenz
May 15th, 2015, 12:35 PM
Nice! Gonna play the FBS card I see. xlolx

I never argued that he was arrested for selling to a cop, or that he doesn't deserve punishment. My contention is that he deserves a chance to learn from it and move on, the chance that most people get. As for weighing in on an MVFC matter, blow me. You have opinions outside your conference as well.

I believe that he will get the appropriate punishment as deemed by his coaching staff, just as it should be. When it happens to a player from UNI, I hope the consequences meet your satisfaction.
Go look how many non-MVFC threads and topics about players/issues I really go get involved in. I'd bet there are very, very, few that I was involved in beyond one or two posts. I might when it comes to rankings or comparing conferences but I almost never jump into threads dedicated to a specific schools, or players, funding, legal issues, scheduling, etc...

ursus arctos horribilis
May 15th, 2015, 01:25 PM
Listen, I think weed should be legal. I think most drug laws, especially related to weed, are pretty dumb.

That doesn't change the fact that the law is still the law right now. I think it's stupid that the speed limit on one of the roads I take home is 35. There are no houses around and won't be for years until it's developed. The city "zoned" the empty lots (which are still corn and bean fields) so instead of 55 I get to do 35 when 55 is perfectly safe. If I do 55 I know there's a chance I'm getting pulled over (a very high chance, given how cops in Marion, IA work). I know there's a chance I'll lose my license on the spot (very high chance given how Marion PD works) for going 20 over the speed limit. If I do that and get busted I knowingly did something that was illegal. No one else is in danger if I'm doing 55 on that road (just as no one else is by Coprich selling weed). Doesn't change the fact that if I break the law I have to live with the consequences.

He committed a felony. To me committing a felony is enough to lose your privilege to play intercollegiate athletics. Especially in a case like this where it involved selling direct to a cop. This isn't a "the cop thinks he saw it happen" situation. This is a "the drugs went right into the cops hands" situation.

Cops don't go around busting small time dealers for the hell of it. They had a reason to target Coprich.

The only thing that can make this "look" better is he is going to fess to who his supplier is to get a plea down to something else. Doesn't change the fact that he committed a felony.

Maybe I'm in the wrong because I want the people that represent my university to not commit felonies and be decent people (at least publicly). UNI has had a couple cases with legal issues - Sinkfield and his disorderly conduct. Johnny Gray and his drug charge (remember, Victor Williams was also booted off the team instantly even though all charges against him were dropped and the police admitted he was doing nothing illegal. I believe that happened before UNI was eliminated from the playoffs as well but he still wasn't allowed back on the team). There was a rape case in about 03. Those players were booted before charges were pressed, or before they were finished reading the players their rights (now the school mangled that a little bit but the football program didn't piddle around).

I'm used to a program that takes action when players are brought up on charges. Maybe I'm the one in the wrong.

I'm always fascinated with how much people know when they don't really know anything. Kudos to you. BTW, as I said using felony don't mean **** to me because you are just talking about a few dollars one way or the other in this instance. Now if we are talking about violent acts I'll give ya some leverage there but not here...to me that is. I'll wait to see if he is actually convicted of a felony.

TheKingpin28
May 15th, 2015, 03:18 PM
He has/had all the potential in the world to be one of the best UNI has ever seen. He just seemed to get too caught up in whatever hype there was and never really seemed to be able to grow his game beyond "I'm really fast, so I'm just going to try to outrun everyone". It's a shame, because with his speed and size he could have had a very nice NFL career as a 2 or 3 WR had he learned to run routes and give effort on even 20% of the plays he wasn't the target of.

The track and field coaches told him that he was uncoachable and he couldn't rely on talent to just get him through. He won his section but when it came to state, he had no form, and was dominated by the Owatonna team and he was not able to meet the standards to get his medal.

Not as sure about what the coaches thought about football, but I know the track coaches were not pleased with him, even though he had great strength and raw talent.

clenz
May 15th, 2015, 03:46 PM
The track and field coaches told him that he was uncoachable and he couldn't rely on talent to just get him through. He won his section but when it came to state, he had no form, and was dominated by the Owatonna team and he was not able to meet the standards to get his medal.

Not as sure about what the coaches thought about football, but I know the track coaches were not pleased with him, even though he had great strength and raw talent.
Sounds about like his time at UNI.

There's a reason he kept getting NFL work out after NFL work out after NFL work out after NFL work out after NFL work out and is now on his second or third CFL team in 2 years.

AshevilleApp2
May 16th, 2015, 03:31 AM
Go look how many non-MVFC threads and topics about players/issues I really go get involved in. I'd bet there are very, very, few that I was involved in beyond one or two posts. I might when it comes to rankings or comparing conferences but I almost never jump into threads dedicated to a specific schools, or players, funding, legal issues, scheduling, etc...

I'm not going to bother to look, too much effort just to make a point. But I'll take your word for it. You've got every right to an opinion, on any subject, it being an open board and all.

gregatim
May 16th, 2015, 09:56 AM
Certainly a most interesting thread. A couple of things for consideration if for no other reason to throw gas on the fire :

1. This is not his first time selling weed. A narcotics task force got his name from someone else they busted and shook down for info. He's been making "a bad decision" for quite some time.

2. If he were busted selling weed to a 35 year old working Joe that likes his hippie lettuce, would any of you change your opinions on how this should be handled? Bigger deal or not a big deal at all?

3. If he were busted selling weed to a 13 year kid, would any of you change your opinions on how this should be handled? Bigger deal or no big deal at all?

Drblankstare
May 16th, 2015, 02:45 PM
Suspend him for a couple and them let him back. This way we can spend most of the season posting weed puns in the game threads.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2015, 02:53 PM

This sort of thing is always a head scratchier to me. This is a board for a national type community. Don't ever bitch or think anyone from this community can't or shouldn't have an opinion on a topic you bring here. You don't have to like it, you can think they don't know enough about it, whatever you want but chiding someone for chiming in on a topic ain't gonna work clenzy. That is just flat out silly dude.

clenz
May 16th, 2015, 03:17 PM
This sort of thing is always a head scratchier to me. This is a board for a national type community. Don't ever bitch or think anyone from this community can't or shouldn't have an opinion on a topic you bring here. You don't have to like it, you can think they don't know enough about it, whatever you want but chiding someone for chiming in on a topic ain't gonna work clenzy. That is just flat out silly dude.

That's not what I was saying, nor does that even fit with that train of discussion.

I'm not going to **** with getting you to understand it though.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 16th, 2015, 05:26 PM
That's not what I was saying, nor does that even fit with that train of discussion.

I'm not going to **** with getting you to understand it though.

When reading that post so it's what I took away from that particular reply and don't give a **** if you don't want to explain it. I'm fine with misunderstanding it. You made an earlier post about AA2 being an App fan, FBS, whatever so it seemed like a point you were making.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
May 17th, 2015, 04:01 PM

Call it what it is, Marijuana. It's not cocaine for Gods sake. Yes they are both technically narcotics but completly different leagues. It's like comparing the MVFC to the CAA. I'm more with the opinion of he's an idiot who did messed up. 20 year olds do that. Suspension for a couple games and if anything similar crops up again. Bye bye from the team.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
May 17th, 2015, 05:00 PM
IMO, that's an infinitely better way to handle it than to immediately boot the guy in a lot of cases. There's a lot of unknowns left in this story though. If this was something he's been doing for a while as some have alluded to (since law enforcement may have set up a sting to catch him) then it's a much bigger deal than if this was something he did for the first time and got caught because he was still that stupid and naïve about it.

^ agree

Lehigh Football Nation
May 18th, 2015, 09:28 AM
Call it what it is, Marijuana. It's not cocaine for Gods sake. Yes they are both technically narcotics but completly different leagues. It's like comparing the MVFC to the CAA. I'm more with the opinion of he's an idiot who did messed up. 20 year olds do that. Suspension for a couple games and if anything similar crops up again. Bye bye from the team.

I believe they're in the same "you'll get arrested if you try to sell this to an undercover cop" league.

OSBF
May 18th, 2015, 01:43 PM
It's not open to debate as to weather or not he did in fact sell weed to an undercover cop. So, no use taking a "wait and see" on that.

The question is what the exact charges are that he pleads out to and what repercussions come attached to the plea deal, and what ILS does in response.

I don't see how they can do much of anything other than leave him suspended indefinitely until this runs its course in the legal system.

THAT'S where the wait and see comes into play.

clenz
May 19th, 2015, 12:15 PM
Just to show I'm consistent.

A UNI basketball recruit - hasn't been on campus yet - was a JUCO All American. He was picked up for DUI and possession of a controlled substance (meaning he had it in his car, not selling it to a cop). I am fully entrenched against him stepping foot on the McLeod Center court wearing a UNI uniform.

I hope Coach Jake boots him before he ever gets here. He's had precident of this before. A couple years ago a kid from Illinois (shocking) was busted in a drug and burglary case. He was booted and never allowed on campus.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 19th, 2015, 12:54 PM
Just to show I'm consistent.

A UNI basketball recruit - hasn't been on campus yet - was a JUCO All American. He was picked up for DUI and possession of a controlled substance (meaning he had it in his car, not selling it to a cop). I am fully entrenched against him stepping foot on the McLeod Center court wearing a UNI uniform.

I hope Coach Jake boots him before he ever gets here. He's had precident of this before. A couple years ago a kid from Illinois (shocking) was busted in a drug and burglary case. He was booted and never allowed on campus.

Somebody may have said something to make you think your consistency is being questioned clenzy but i don't think that I or anyone that interacts with you is questioning it. That isn't even close to one of the issues I've been talking with you about at least.

You might be correct on this guy. If he keeps dipping his toes in the wrong pool then he shouldn't be taken on.

ISUR24
May 19th, 2015, 01:11 PM
It's not open to debate as to weather or not he did in fact sell weed to an undercover cop. So, no use taking a "wait and see" on that.

The question is what the exact charges are that he pleads out to and what repercussions come attached to the plea deal, and what ILS does in response.

I don't see how they can do much of anything other than leave him suspended indefinitely until this runs its course in the legal system.

THAT'S where the wait and see comes into play.

It's not open to debate? So you were there? Or are you just listening to something that the news told you... because... you know... the news has never been wrong. Hell you might even remember Dewey eh?

This is a different case all together... he's fine. It was a mistake (not on his part) that has been taken care of... the wait and see game is definitely necessary. Or.. you can just make broad accusations base off of some pretty poor work done by a few parties.

clenz
May 19th, 2015, 01:15 PM
It's not open to debate? So you were there? Or are you just listening to something that the news told you... because... you know... the news has never been wrong. Hell you might even remember Dewey eh?

This is a different case all together... he's fine. It was a mistake (not on his part) that has been taken care of... the wait and see game is definitely necessary. Or.. you can just make broad accusations base off of some pretty poor work done by a few parties.
So you're saying he didn't sell to a cop?

Or that he wasn't supposed to be arrested for selling to the cop?

Feel free to share the correct story, since you seem to know it.

OSBF
May 20th, 2015, 07:29 AM
So you're saying he didn't sell to a cop?

Or that he wasn't supposed to be arrested for selling to the cop?

Feel free to share the correct story, since you seem to know it.

This is just like those girls that ILS DI athletes were knocking around, they were asking for it, they deserved it, they had it coming.

That weed was just begging to be sold to a cop, that bag of weed had it coming.

Unfortunately this is typical of what our core fanbase has degraded into, lots of rationalization, with a side of justification, but never partake of the objectivity.

Redbird Recon
May 22nd, 2015, 10:57 AM
Plead guilty.
2 years probation.
Suspension lifted.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 22nd, 2015, 11:04 AM
Illinois State, home of an all-american convicted drug dealer.

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 11:08 AM
Only question now is does he miss any game time.

Redbird Recon
May 22nd, 2015, 11:25 AM
Only question now is does he miss any game time.
As of right now, no. Expect more to come out. MC was the fall guy.

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 11:26 AM
Illinois State, home of an all-american convicted drug dealer.
Man I wish they played in Cedar Falls this year.

The amount of **** he'd be getting from our fans is nuts.

Now a convicted felon and the suspension is lifted. SMH

- - - Updated - - -

As of right now, no. Expect more to come out. MC was the fall guy.
Fall guy or not...dude committed a felony and sold drugs to a cop.

I can't believe this is being excused.

I can only imagine the ISU message board right now. They had every excuse under the sun the last week or so as to why what he did wasn't wrong. They have to be popping bottle like they won the championship game right now. One guy said he was going to throw a party when the suspension got lifted on that forum this week.

Meanwhile, other schools in the conference have recruits who don't know if they'll still be welcomed on campus because they got a misdemeanor possession.

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 11:32 AM
Man I wish they played in Cedar Falls this year.

The amount of **** he'd be getting from our fans is nuts.

Now a convicted felon and the suspension is lifted. SMH

- - - Updated - - -

Fall guy or not...dude committed a felony and sold drugs to a cop.

I can't believe this is being excused.

I can only imagine the ISU message board right now. They had every excuse under the sun the last week or so as to why what he did wasn't wrong. They have to be popping bottle like they won the championship game right now. One guy said he was going to throw a party when the suspension got lifted on that forum this week.

Meanwhile, other schools in the conference have recruits who don't know if they'll still be welcomed on campus because they got a misdemeanor possession.

Perhaps a technicality at this point but he's not a convicted felon. Pled guilty to a reduced charge of possession with intent to deliver, not the actual trafficking charge.

I'm pretty sure all felony convictions come with mandatory jail time.

Redbird Recon
May 22nd, 2015, 11:33 AM
He didn't sell drugs to a cop. There's a reason McLean County backed off and gave him nothing more than 2 years probation.

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 11:35 AM
He didn't sell drugs to a cop. There's a reason McLean County backed off and gave him nothing more than 2 years probation.

Then plead NG, go to trial, and get off completely.

There obviously were witness' present

Redbird Recon
May 22nd, 2015, 11:40 AM
Then plead NG, go to trial, and get off completely.

There obviously were witness' present
And drag it out all season? C'mon. He got nothing. Pay $170, do some good in the community and don't get arrested for 2 years. It all goes away if he does those 3 things.

Look at the dates, OSBF. April 16, 17, 18. Let's not act like no one got booted for this.

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 11:43 AM
And drag it out all season? C'mon. He got nothing. Pay $170, do some good in the community and don't get arrested for 2 years. It all goes away if he does those 3 things.

Look at the dates, OSBF. April 16, 17, 18. Let's not act like no one got booted for this.

Things like this are NEVER off your record

He'll never be a teacher or work with kids

He'll never work for the government

Plead guilty to a drug charge you didn't do????

No way

AshevilleApp2
May 22nd, 2015, 11:46 AM
I'm not a legal expert by any stretch. But is it more illegal to sell to a cop than it is to someone else? Is that being kicked around here because of potential sentencing implications or because the burden of proof is easier to establish? xconfusedx

NoDak 4 Ever
May 22nd, 2015, 11:50 AM
Perhaps a technicality at this point but he's not a convicted felon. Pled guilty to a reduced charge of possession with intent to deliver, not the actual trafficking charge.

I'm pretty sure all felony convictions come with mandatory jail time.

He's a convicted something having to do with drugs.

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 11:56 AM
He's a convicted something having to do with drugs.

Well, actually yes there is a huge legal distinction between being convicted of felony vs misdemeanor

NoDak 4 Ever
May 22nd, 2015, 11:57 AM
Well, actually yes there is a huge legal distinction between being convicted of felony vs misdemeanor

In the eyes of the law, yes. I think clenzy is correct as to the heaps of **** ISUr is going to receive from the football community at large.

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 12:00 PM
I'm not a legal expert by any stretch. But is it more illegal to sell to a cop than it is to someone else? Is that being kicked around here because of potential sentencing implications or because the burden of proof is easier to establish? xconfusedx

Because here at ILS we are the masters of justification, rationalization, and minimization.

Objectivity and realism?

Ain't nobody got time for dat.

- - - Updated - - -

In the eyes of the law, yes. I think clenzy is correct as to the heaps of **** ISUr is going to receive from the football community at large.

And I won't disagree with you for a second that we shouldn't.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 22nd, 2015, 12:01 PM

Gotta love the holier than thou club.

AshevilleApp2
May 22nd, 2015, 12:04 PM
Because here at ILS we are the masters of justification, rationalization, and minimization.

Objectivity and realism?

Ain't nobody got time for dat.

- - - Updated - - -

And I won't disagree with you for a second that we shouldn't.

Honestly not being critical of ISU, I asked the question without seeing the latest news.

Good for the kid, I hope he learns the right lessons from the situation. Now its up to the school to take whatever action they deem appropriate.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 22nd, 2015, 12:06 PM

Holier than thou? I have never possessed, ingested, sold or bought any type of illegal drug. Why? Because they are illegal. If there's any kind of trouble I don't want, it would be that.

As for my team? They did exactly what I would expect.

FargoBison
May 22nd, 2015, 12:07 PM
He has to be suspended for a game or two, if not what kind of message are you sending to your team?

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 12:07 PM
Honestly not being critical of ISU, I asked the question without seeing the latest news.

Good for the kid, I hope he learns the right lessons from the situation. Now its up to the school to take whatever action they deem appropriate.

This is a case of a REALLY good kid that made a REALLY poor decision.

note that I did not say mistake

I've never considered criminal activity a "mistake"

centennial
May 22nd, 2015, 12:08 PM
So not even a 2 game ban to keep the rational fans and critics happy? "38 seconds short"? He wants to win at all cost?
Says it 45 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZA5aXiXEIXw

NoDak 4 Ever
May 22nd, 2015, 12:09 PM
This is a case of a REALLY good adult that made a REALLY poor decision.

note that I did not say mistake

I've never considered criminal activity a "mistake"

FIFY

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 12:11 PM
So not even a 2 game ban to keep the rational fans happy?

We don't have many of those anymore.

I was actually accused of not being a "fan" because I'm not OK with violence against women.

Apparently, if you can hit the 20ft jumper you get a 100% free pass on beating up girls

centennial
May 22nd, 2015, 12:16 PM
We don't have many of those anymore.
Honestly, knocking Iowa off and a deep playoff run is going to give him a chance at the MAC and possibly the MW. He is just hedging his bets. That's my take anyway.

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
Honestly, knocking Iowa off and a deep playoff run is going to give him a chance at the MAC and possibly the MW. He is just hedging his bets. That's my take anyway.

I honestly don't think he's going anywhere. He's already turned down the MAC, and DC positions at bigtime programs.

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 12:21 PM
I honestly don't think he's going anywhere. He's already turned down the MAC, and DC positions at bigtime programs.
Bohl wasn't going anywhere either....

NoDak 4 Ever
May 22nd, 2015, 12:23 PM
at least some over at redbirdfan understand, for the remainder of his career as a Redbird, he is a convicted felon.

Convicted.
Felon.

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 12:33 PM
at least some over at redbirdfan understand, for the remainder of his career as a Redbird, he is a convicted felon.

Convicted.
Felon.

false

utterly and totally false

NoDak 4 Ever
May 22nd, 2015, 12:38 PM
false

utterly and totally false

Coprich was placed on first offender probation that allows his felony conviction to be erased if he successfully completes two years on probation.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/isu-all-american-rb-coprich-pleads-guilty-reinstated-to-team/article_e9e44383-3aab-5e0f-850f-df9d19d0ddca.html

Until it is erased, it is a felony conviction on his record. So true.

utterly and totally true.

Redbird Recon
May 22nd, 2015, 12:45 PM
He has to be suspended for a game or two, if not what kind of message are you sending to your team?
"I want one of those B1G jobs."

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 12:48 PM
How is it holier than thou to think a convicted felon shouldn't be on the field?

Or

To think it's assinine that immediately after he pleads guilty to the felony to lift his suspension...that caused him to miss zero things football related since there are no football activities between May 11 and May 22

Sure showed him that what he did was wrong.

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 12:51 PM
So, Recon,

What is the rest of the story? Now that he has plead guilty please let me know what the rest of the story is. I'm still confused. Did he not sell to the cop? How was he the "fall guy"? Was he not actually supposed to be arrested? If this was Camden Cooper (http://goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4011&path=football) is he still on the team?

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 12:53 PM
It's because there is no question that it happened. It's not a "I think I saw him do this and there isn't really any proof that is rock solid". It's not a case of mistaken identity.

There's ZERO question it happened. He admits he did it. He was charged with, and plead guilty to, a felony. How is that just something that a coach goes "Oh well. See you on the field in August for camp" too?

Redbird Recon
May 22nd, 2015, 12:54 PM
So, Recon,

What is the rest of the story? Now that he has plead guilty please let me know what the rest of the story is. I'm still confused. Did he not sell to the cop? How was he the "fall guy"? Was he not actually supposed to be arrested? If this was Camden Cooper (http://goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4011&path=football) is he still on the team?
The "rest of the story" is still coming. Who did we dismiss this spring? When did we dismiss him? I know you have plenty of time to do the homework.

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 12:58 PM
The "rest of the story" is still coming. Who did we dismiss this spring? When did we dismiss him? I know you have plenty of time to do the homework.
I asked you...If this was Camden Cooper instead of Marshaun would you so rigorously defend him?

Would Spack keep him on the team?

Redbird Recon
May 22nd, 2015, 12:59 PM
I asked you...If this was Camden Cooper instead of Marshaun would you so rigorously defend him?

Would Spack keep him on the team?
No. But I don't know Cooper. Probably not.

Am I suppose to feel bad about this? This spring has been hell in Normal. I'm glad we finally have something to be optimistic about.

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 01:00 PM
No. But I don't know Cooper. Probably not.
So what you're saying is that because it's Coprich it's okay that he committed a felony? Camden Cooper does the same thing and he's booted and you wouldn't defend him?

Gee....the ****ing hypocrisy from ISU on this case is stunning.

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 01:02 PM
To be fair ISUr did kick Shelby Harris off the roster following an All Conference season....

BUT...

He was dismissed from Wisconsin for illegal activities the season before....

so...

AshevilleApp2
May 22nd, 2015, 01:02 PM
It's because there is no question that it happened. It's not a "I think I saw him do this and there isn't really any proof that is rock solid". It's not a case of mistaken identity.

There's ZERO question it happened. He admits he did it. He was charged with, and plead guilty to, a felony. How is that just something that a coach goes "Oh well. See you on the field in August for camp" too?

So you are on the burden of proof side?

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 01:06 PM
So you are on the burden of proof side?
Sure. It's not a question of if he did it. He committed a felony. Has since plead guilty to a felony.

Again, I would withhold judgment a lot easier if there was only really grainy surveillance video that only showed what kind of looked like a drug deal and you couldn't make out any facial features on the video. There's a question as to if it was him at that point. There's a question as to if it was drugs at that point. There's likely no one there to "narc" him to the cops. At that point, sure. I see no reason to take any "real" action until the legal system plays out.

When a dude pleads guilty to a felony it's pretty clear what happened.

I'm confused as to Recon's point of "he's just the fall guy". Does that mean it was part of a larger sting that is ongoing? Sure, I'll buy that. Doesn't change the fact he committed the felony.

Redbird Recon
May 22nd, 2015, 01:07 PM
So what you're saying is that because it's Coprich it's okay that he committed a felony? Camden Cooper does the same thing and he's booted and you wouldn't defend him?

Gee....the ****ing hypocrisy from ISU on this case is stunning.
I don't know Cooper. I know Marshaun.

Oshay Dunmore got booted. Do you see me defending him?

It's not a felony. 9 grams is not a felony in Illinois.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 22nd, 2015, 01:10 PM
How is it holier than thou to think a convicted felon shouldn't be on the field?

Or

To think it's assinine that immediately after he pleads guilty to the felony to lift his suspension...that caused him to miss zero things football related since there are no football activities between May 11 and May 22

Sure showed him that what he did was wrong.

I agree he should have some time off (as I said a game or two) so don't know if that is settled or not but if they let him off that one and are leaving it up to the court system then so be it but not how I'd have done things.

You and NoDak keep talking about felony conviction as if it means something. It doesn't. It's a marijuana beef, so honestly all I got to say is BFD.

If it was a violent crime felony I'd be able to go with you as that would have some teeth but trying to sell this as something big is not gonna work on me...I ain't some dumbass you two are gonna roll over with some silly bull**** like that.

You are talking about a dollar amount and that doesn't change what the actual crime was or standing up with the "sold to a cop" thing...who gives a **** who he sold it to as long as it was an adult. It's akin to a speeding ticket, as I've mentioned, if I'm throwing in my opinion on it...and it appears I am.

BTW, how many decent, productive members of society do you think you deal with daily that have had a felony conviction? I know it may not be a ton but there are certainly some. Did they deserve a break to try and make their way in life or you think your zero tolerance bull**** works everywhere?

I think it's pretty dumb to act as if the courts can't take care of this thing without having to dump a kid down further on something like this. You can justify how special you and your school is all you want but it's complete bull**** if you ask me. But feel holier than thou all you'd like to, it is your prerogative.

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 01:12 PM
To be fair ISUr did kick Shelby Harris off the roster following an All Conference season....

BUT...

He was dismissed from Wisconsin for illegal activities the season before....

so...

Mr Harris liked to beat ppl up, even girls

And he had multiple "2nd" chances before spak finally had enuff

Violence against women vs. selling a baggie of herb

apples and oranges

both illegal, but very different

AshevilleApp2
May 22nd, 2015, 01:14 PM
Sure. It's not a question of if he did it. He committed a felony. Has since plead guilty to a felony.

Again, I would withhold judgment a lot easier if there was only really grainy surveillance video that only showed what kind of looked like a drug deal and you couldn't make out any facial features on the video. There's a question as to if it was him at that point. There's a question as to if it was drugs at that point. There's likely no one there to "narc" him to the cops. At that point, sure. I see no reason to take any "real" action until the legal system plays out.

When a dude pleads guilty to a felony it's pretty clear what happened.

I'm confused as to Recon's point of "he's just the fall guy". Does that mean it was part of a larger sting that is ongoing? Sure, I'll buy that. Doesn't change the fact he committed the felony.

Careful with the felony word, and the source. I'd guess that he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor and gets a felony charge if he screws up on probation. Like I said, I don't know **** about the law though.

I hope the kid learns and grows from the experience.

clenz

He plead guilty to a felony. How is that not a felony

Dunmore? You mean that kid that ISUr took after he was already booted from Oregon? Just like Shelby Miller and Wisconsin?

Are we not starting to sense a pattern for the character of the program at ISU at this point?

NoDak 4 Ever

You should tell the Pantagraph. They're reporting a felony conviction.

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 01:15 PM
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/isu-all-american-rb-coprich-pleads-guilty-reinstated-to-team/article_e9e44383-3aab-5e0f-850f-df9d19d0ddca.html

Until it is erased, it is a felony conviction on his record. So true.

utterly and totally true.

My understanding is that any felony conviction in the lame state of Illannoy carries required jail time

If he gets off with no time, as I understand it, that would mean he pled down to a misdemeanor

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 01:17 PM
Mr Harris liked to beat ppl up, even girls

And he had multiple "2nd" chances before spak finally had enuff

Violence against women vs. selling a baggie of herb

apples and oranges

both illegal, but very different
Different instances, a I agree.
Beating women is worse, I agree.
Aren't we seeing the culture and character of ISUr at this point though?
Miller was taken in, after multiple chances at Wisconsin and then finally getting the boot at Wisconson. Later given many chances at ISU before getting booted
Dunmore (the one to thump the chest about) is the same as miller. Many chances at Oregon and finally got the boot there. Later given many chances at ISU before getting booted
The basketball program has the same issues.

It's a pervasive culture at ISU at this point, is it not?

Redbird Recon
May 22nd, 2015, 01:18 PM
He plead guilty to a felony. How is that not a felony

Dunmore? You mean that kid that ISUr took after he was already booted from Oregon? Just like Shelby Miller and Wisconsin?

Are we not starting to sense a pattern for the character of the program at ISU at this point?
9 or less grams is not a felony in Illinois.

Sure, you can call that a pattern. Am I suppose to stop going to games because of it?

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 01:20 PM
9 or less grams is not a felony in Illinois.

Sure, you can call that a pattern. Am I suppose to stop going to games because of it?
I just have a hard time getting behind a team/program that says "**** it. I don't care how many people we have breaking the law. It's all about winning. **** the law."

Redbird Recon
Miller was taken in, after multiple chances at Wisconsin and then finally getting the boot
Dunmore (the one to thump the chest about) is the same as miller. Many chances at Oregon and finally got the boot there.

Shelby Harris didn't have multiple chances at Wisconsin. There was a fight he was involved in, and he was dismissed during his freshman year.

Did Coach Jake boot his juco yet? We can all throw stones.

OSBF
Miller was taken in, after multiple chances at Wisconsin and then finally getting the boot
Dunmore (the one to thump the chest about) is the same as miller. Many chances at Oregon and finally got the boot there.

I'm not in any position to disagree with anything said above.

Redbird Recon
May 22nd, 2015, 01:21 PM
You should tell the Pantagraph. They're reporting a felony conviction.
The Pantagraph blows.

FargoBison
May 22nd, 2015, 01:23 PM
My understanding is that any felony conviction in the lame state of Illannoy carries required jail time

If he gets off with no time, as I understand it, that would mean he pled down to a misdemeanor

Perhaps the paper should have said deferred felony charge, if he keep his nose clean for two years it all goes away...

http://www.criminallawyerillinois.com/2012/12/29/first-felony-offense-eligible-for-deferred-prosecution-under-offender-initiative-program/

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 01:24 PM
The Pantagraph blows.

If he does it for money and gets arrested ILS will recruit him.

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 01:34 PM
I just have a hard time getting behind a team/program that says "**** it. I don't care how many people we have breaking the law. It's all about winning. **** the law."

Let me tell you a little story about a conversation from this past fall. 3 of us standing around a tailgate lot drinking some beers. Guy poses this question: If ILS could commit an NCAA infraction that they knew 100% would land the program on probation, but would come with an NCAA tournament sweet 16/ elite 8, do you do it?

The answer was yes.

That's how far into the depths of muck and mire we've fallen

I thought Al Davis was worm food, but "Just win baby" is alive and well.

And if you choose to have any semblance of morals ethics or integrity you aren't a fan.

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 01:39 PM
Perhaps the paper should have said deferred felony charge, if he keep his nose clean for two years it all goes away...

http://www.criminallawyerillinois.com/2012/12/29/first-felony-offense-eligible-for-deferred-prosecution-under-offender-initiative-program/

Thanks for that link, this looks like a big dose of common sense. We're flat broke and have got to stop sending people to an already overcrowded DOC if they aren't any threat to society.

I'm really glad I'm not the one making the call as to who's a threat and who isn't

NoDak 4 Ever

Holy ****.

Good old Illinois. Let your freak flag fly.

My guess is the prisons are too full of politicians.

clenz
Shelby Harris didn't have multiple chances at Wisconsin. There was a fight he was involved in, and he was dismissed during his freshman year.

Did Coach Jake boot his juco yet? We can all throw stones.
1. I don't know what Jake is going to do. I'm hoping he never shows up on campus. If he does I hope he never plays.
2. There is a large difference between having it on your person and selling it.

You have 1 player that UNI is dealing with right now...1...out of all of our sports and he hasn't actually been on campus yet. UNI is the same program that booted 2 kids for selling (1 wasn't even selling and had his charges dropped completely) within 36 hours of the arrest.

Two very different institutions when it comes to handling illegal activity.

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 01:42 PM
Let me tell you a little story about a conversation from this past fall. 3 of us standing around a tailgate lot drinking some beers. Guy poses this question: If ILS could commit an NCAA infraction that they knew 100% would land the program on probation, but would come with an NCAA tournament sweet 16/ elite 8, do you do it?

The answer was yes.

That's how far into the depths of muck and mire we've fallen

I thought Al Davis was worm food, but "Just win baby" is alive and well.

And if you choose to have any semblance of morals ethics or integrity you aren't a fan.
To steal a quote from SuperHornet on CS...

That's disgusting.

OSBF
May 22nd, 2015, 01:48 PM
This is fun but I gotta go

need to get the lawn mowed before the rain sets in all weekend

See ya'll in a couple of hours

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 03:29 PM
Also, Spack has no set a precedent that HE MUST FOLLOW for ALL players on his program.

Getting busted for dealing drugs is deemed and not worthy of missing any kind of football activity.

I would assume this also, by proxy, would mean that getting busted for possession means no suspension.

Essentially, the new precedent at ISU is that illegal drugs are of no concern. Get busted with them, no big deal. You won't be suspended. This will go well beyond Marshaun going into the future. I can't wait for some scrub back up to get busted with drugs at ISU, just so I can see how it is handled.

clenz
May 22nd, 2015, 03:32 PM
Craig Haley nailed it with his short piece today

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=825235

The lifting of Coprich's suspension seemingly raised more questions than provided answers, the biggest one being: Why? As in, why so fast, Illinois State?
The quick lifting leaves ISU open to face negative backlash, surely from outside the university and even from within it.
Perhaps the lifting of the suspension is standard procedure. From here, Illinois State could very well evaluate Coprich's action and levy additional punishment. Maybe last year's FCS rushing leader lines up on opening day, maybe he doesn't at the start of his senior season.
But there was an admission of guilt by Coprich, and even if he is a model citizen throughout his probationary period, some form of game suspension is warranted.
Even the well-liked Coprich, who by many accounts is a good young man who made a mistake, would probably have to agree his situation can't be ignored. What message would Illinois State be sending him, his teammates and other students on campus if it doesn't take away some of his privilege of playing college sports?
A multi-game suspension is warranted.

The timing of it seems very odd. Within a very short time of him admitting he did it the coach goes "Yup, good enough...no suspension anymore". At the very least the timing is off/bad, is it not?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 22nd, 2015, 03:37 PM

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=825235

The timing of it seems very odd. Within a very short time of him admitting he did it the coach goes "Yup, good enough...no suspension anymore". At the very least the timing is off/bad, is it not?

I think he has a point but it's a pretty easy one and not one that a lot of people disagree with as far as I've seen here on this board.

AshevilleApp2
May 22nd, 2015, 06:22 PM

Agree. Some sort of punishment is justified for the behavior.