PDA

View Full Version : Why Montana St ?

flexbone
November 20th, 2006, 10:46 AM
Discuss ?

and then - How did they get a Home game in 1st round?

Black Saturday
November 20th, 2006, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=flexbone]Discuss ?

and then - How did they get a Home game in 1st round?

Money Talks and Everything else walks

flexbone
November 20th, 2006, 10:51 AM
Losses to Chadron ST - UC Davis - E Wash !
4 losses total !

AND A HOME GAME TO START THE PLAYOFFS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UNCBears2010
November 20th, 2006, 10:53 AM
They'll pack the stadium. I guess that's all that matters to the powers that be in the NCAA.

NorthDakotaBison
November 20th, 2006, 10:55 AM
and the a-holes are backing out of a game against the bison next year! :)

i don't see how Montana State got in over Poly.

Both beat a I-A.

Poly beat UCD who smoked the Bobcats.
They lost two top 10 teams in NDSU and Montana and one top 25 team.

For them to host really has to make one wonder...........

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 10:58 AM
They'll pack the stadium. I guess that's all that matters to the powers that be in the NCAA.
JMU would have also...and they've won a few more games...beaten some better opponents...didn't lose to a DII team...didn't get shut out and absolutely destroyed by a I-AA (or whatever we're calling us now)...but whatever...yeah, I can see how MSU got in the playoffs on got home field over another 13 teams in the playoffs that actually deserve to be there (i.e., autobids should not count for a conference if a team can't win more than 7 games). :rolleyes:

BillLuc1982
November 20th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Both beat a I-A.

Sadly, the selection committee looks at D-1 wins only, not losses. There's not much of a penalty against losses to poor teams.

And in MSU's defense, they beat Colorado, who's in a BCS conference. Colorado nearly beat Georgia.

th0m
November 20th, 2006, 11:01 AM
If so, then why didn't UNI get the nod? They had a 'bad' loss to DII UND, and played a much better conference slate finishing AHEAD of at-large SIU in the Gateway rankings.

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 11:03 AM
If so, then why didn't UNI get the nod? They had a 'bad' loss to DII UND, and played a much better conference slate finishing AHEAD of at-large SIU in the Gateway rankings.
Because with all the chips on the table during the last game of the season, UNI also lost to a higher ranked playoff-bound team...oh wait, no they didn't, they actually BEAT a higher ranked team than them. Hmmmmmm.....:confused:

BillLuc1982
November 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM

No I-A wins, though. MSU beat Colorado. Both D-2 losses were to good D-2 teams so those cancel each other out.

th0m
November 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Yeah that's the only thing I could find that MSU had over UNI. For the rest, UNI still beat a pretty impressive array of teams, and besides the UND loss, only had one other 'bad' loss to WIU. MSU quality win: PSU. UNI quality wins: Ill. State, YSU, WKU, even SDSU.

I wonder what the case would've been if UNI had won vs. Iowa State (not really a stretch since they only lost by 1), and lost a Gateway game, putting them lower on the conference list...

But yeah, coulda woulda shoulda.

BillLuc1982
November 20th, 2006, 11:30 AM
Yeah that's the only thing I could find that MSU had over UNI. For the rest, UNI still beat a pretty impressive array of teams, and besides the UND loss, only had one other 'bad' loss to WIU. MSU quality win: PSU. UNI quality wins: Ill. State, YSU, WKU, even SDSU.

I wonder what the case would've been if UNI had won vs. Iowa State (not really a stretch since they only lost by 1), and lost a Gateway game, putting them lower on the conference list...

But yeah, coulda woulda shoulda.

Then they'd be in over Furman possibly.

APPSTER
November 20th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Once the committee picked the 16 teams and worked out the matchups, I think they realized that while MSU should play at Furman, if MSU beat Furman, then they'd have to come all the way back east (most likely Boone) for the 2nd round. If Furman wins, they have an easy drive in the 2nd round.

While it isn't fair.....I think that's what the committee was thinking. No way should a 7-4 team host an 8-3 team of Furman's caliber and playoff history.

Tailbone
November 20th, 2006, 12:22 PM
I guess I just don't understand the confusion,the selection guidelines are spelled out quite clearly.
When teams are unseeded, It's about money and facilities, period!
The team that wants the home game badly enough, and is willing to pay for it, gets it.

It's that simple.

chuges1
November 20th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Why start another post about this....arent there 3 or so already?

PurpleandGold
November 20th, 2006, 12:52 PM
i'll take this opportunity to point out the real rub with the "bidding" system. teams like Hampton, no offense to them, but they're not the top of the playoff field, can avoid playing a seeded team by just ponying up enough money and thus give themselves a better shot at a first round win. teams like JMU who don't pony up that dough get sent to ohio to play the four seed. what the hell is that? all 16 should be seeded. i thought this was about good football and crowning a champion, not money, this isn't I-A.

chuges1
November 20th, 2006, 12:55 PM
i'll take this opportunity to point out the real rub with the "bidding" system. teams like Hampton, no offense to them, but they're not the top of the playoff field, can avoid playing a seeded team by just ponying up enough money and thus give themselves a better shot at a first round win. teams like JMU who don't pony up that dough get sent to ohio to play the four seed. what the hell is that? all 16 should be seeded. i thought this was about good football and crowning a champion, not money, this isn't I-A.

The sad thing is though, money is everything in this world anymore.

AggiePride
November 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
A question:

People keep bringing up that they got a home game, but from the little I know that is explained by the bidding process right? I just do not see the problem?

MplsBison
November 20th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Both beat a I-A.

Poly was not eligible for the playoffs as they only had 6 DI wins.

barechestcat
November 20th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Please read:

November 19, 2006

The CSN Way: Beautiful Losers

David Coulson, CSN senior columnist

For Portland State, it was a reasonable thought.

A 7-4 record and the Vikings’ third-place finish in the Big Sky Conference might not have been eye-popping to the NCAA Division I Championship Committee.

But Portland State had an impressive trump card in its arsenal — a schedule that included three games against I-A opponents.

There was that season-opening win over a good New Mexico team and two losses to members of an exclusive club, the BCS top-25, that were more impressive than they seemed from observing the final scores.

When hints began to be dropped in the past couple of weeks that a four-loss team might work its way into the playoff consideration, it seemed to many that PSU was the squad at the top of the committee’s list.

The selection committee picked not one, but two four-loss teams for the 16-team playoff field — the first time a four-loss squad had made the playoffs since Idaho in 1995.

But one name was never called when ESPN News announced the pairings at 1:30 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.

Portland State.

With the team gathered together to watch the playoff selections on Sunday morning in Portland, Ore., the Vikings began to get queasy right out of the gate when the second bracket appeared on the television screen.

The news was bad for Portland State. Furman was traveling to ... Montana State for a first-round game. Coastal Carolina, another team hoping for one of those elusive eight at-large bids, had already been revealed in the first pairing with No. 1 seed and defending national champion Appalachian State.

When Eastern Illinois, like Montana State another four-loss team, was revealed in the bottom half of the draw, Vikings heart sank.

One final at-large spot remained to be filled as the final pairing was shown. When Southern Illinois’ name flashed on the TV, Portland State realized quickly that its season was over.

A few minutes later, committee chairman John Hardt, the athletic director at Bucknell, revealed the reason the eight-man committee had chosen Montana State over its Big Sky rival.

A 14-0 win by the Bobcats over Portland State on Oct. 14 in Bozeman, Mont. gave the edge to Montana State. A 19-10 victory over Colorado by MSU in its season opener, six wins their final seven games and a narrow loss to No. 2 seed Montana helped the Bobcats overcome embarrassing losses to Division II Chadron State and Big Sky weakling Eastern Washington.

Portland State wasn’t the only team to taste disappointment on Sunday.

As expected, strength of schedule issues killed the hopes of undefeated San Diego and 10-1 Monmouth to make the playoffs. Instead, San Diego will keep its scheduled game with UC Davis on Saturday and will travel to Monmouth the following weekend for the Gridiron Classic matchup between the champions of the Pioneer Football League and the Northeast Conference.

Two other four loss teams — squads that would have been potentially scary opponents for almost any team in the field — couldn’t muster enough support to crack this exclusive club.

Northern Iowa put together enough of the magic from its 2005 ride to the national championship game to beat the top two teams in the Gateway Football Conference, Youngstown State and Illinois State. But the maddeningly inconsistent Panthers couldn’t fill in the chuck holes in their resume caused by a loss at home to the top-ranked Division II team, North Dakota.

The Panthers can also kick themselves for defensive lapses that proved costly in lopsided losses to GFC bottom feeder Western Illinois and playoff-bound Southern Illinois.

Of course none of that would have mattered if Northern Iowa had held on for a win, instead of a one-point loss to Iowa State. With that UNI would have matched Montana State and Portland State with a I-A notch in its belt, to say nothing of what would have been a secure 8-3 record.

Wofford could be one of the hottest teams in all of the Championship Subdivision right now. The Terriers closed the season with five consecutive wins, but they turned on the jets too late after a 2-4 start that included gut-wrenching losses to Appalachian State and South Carolina by a touchdown and to playoff-bound Coastal Carolina by three points in another wild game.

For teams on the edge of the playoffs, like Lehigh, Delaware State and Tennessee State, their fate had been already decided by losses on Saturday.

Lehigh lost the Patriot League auto bid and an outright championship when it was hammered by Lafayette, while Tennessee State’s hopes of sharing the OVC with Tennessee-Martin and Eastern Illinois came crashing down with a loss to Eastern Kentucky.

Delaware State could have put pressure on the committee by finishing 9-2 and beating Howard, but the Hornets lost to make the committee’s decision easy.

There also was the usual frustration in the Ivy League, where Yale and Princeton shared the crown after wins on Saturday. Princeton would have advanced to the playoffs as a potential Ivy League auto qualifier, but the ancient eight -- we’re talking about those out-of-touch, old geezers serving as presidents of the Ivy League schools, not the likable alternate nickname for the venerable conference -- doesn't do NCAA football championships.

Every other sport on the Ivy League campuses is allowed to compete towards potential NCAA championships, but football, due to archaic rules established by these brain-dead, out-of-touch administrators.

The Winners

While the teams selected were not that surprising, some of the brackets raised a few eyebrows on Sunday.

Games between No. 1 seed Appalachian State and Coastal Carolina, No. 2 seed Montana and McNeese State and No. 3 seed Massachusetts and Lafayette were about as predictable as you could get.

But the biggest shocker was James Madison being sent to No. 4 seed Youngstown State. A couple of weeks earlier, people were arguing the merits of JMU getting a seed over YSU, but now you have these CS heavyweights battling it out in the first round.

JMU fans expected to have a home game against MEAC auto bid winner Hampton, a school that is just a short drive from Harrisonburg, Va. But instead, Hampton got a home game, although it is against a team no one really wants to see in their bracket, dangerous New Hampshire.

The JMU-YSU matchup smacks of a television marriage, with this game being selected for the ESPN2 7:30 p.m. slot next Saturday. The other nationally televised game will be Appalachian State and Coastal Carolina at 3:30 p.m.

Another curious choice was putting Illinois State in the same bracket at Eastern Illinois. These teams played each other Sept. 16 at Illinois State, with the Redbirds beating EIU 44-30.

The committee did something similar last year when Montana and Cal Poly faced off just several weeks after the Grizzlies had defeated the Mustangs at home. Cal Poly’s second visit to Missoula, Mont. resulted in a Mustang victory, however.

It would have been just as easy to have sent Southern Illinois to Eastern Illinois for the second year in a row and to have had Illinois State host Tennessee-Martin. UTM will be on the road at SIU, instead.

Every year, at least one team seemingly fit outside of the regional box the NCAA adopted following the 9-11 tragedy in 2001. And this year’s frequent flier award goes to Furman, who will travel to Bozeman, Mont. to take on Montana State in the first round.

The winner of that game gets the honor of playing the defending champion, Appalachian State.

But even with two or three quirks in the pairings, the committee did an excellent job in putting the 16-team field together.

Prediction Time

Last year, I put some future pressure on myself by picking Appalachian State and Northern Iowa to meet in the championship game in Chattanooga, Tenn. on selection Sunday. While it wasn’t going out on a limb to select Appalachian State, taking an unseeded Northern Iowa squad as my other finalist seemed pretty crazy — until the Mountaineers and Panthers showed up for the title game.

I also correctly selected Appalachian State as the national champion.

But anyway, here goes, without a benefit of a safety net.

My first-round winners in the upper side of the bracket are Appalachian State, Montana State, Illinois State and Youngstown State. In the lower half of the draw, my picks are UMass, New Hampshire, Southern Illinois and Montana (I learned my lesson, Griz fans, always picking against the Grizzlies in the first round).

From there, I see ASU, Illinois State, New Hampshire and Montana advancing to the semifinals and those two games setting up an Appalachian State-New Hampshire final.

Backtracking just a bit, I fully expect the winner of the New Hampshire-UMass quarterfinal to eventually end up in Chattanooga.

And with the championship on the line, I see Appalachian State making history as the first back-to-back champion since Georgia Southern pulled off the trick in 1999 and 2000.

Whatever the results, it should be another fun playoff run, all the way to Chattanooga.

I think this does a fair job of deciphering MSU vs PSU. It also talks about why MSU over UNI. I think Cal Poly only having 6 D-I wins did them in.

As to who gets home playoffs? Get this straight, it's about who bid the most. The minimum this round was $30,000.00 right? But, it's not WHAT you have to bid. Our AD was committed to making sure we got a home playoff game if we made it and if we didn't play a seeded team. Period. You don't like your team having to travel? Go ask your AD what they bid and how come they didnt bid higher!!!

PurpleandGold
November 20th, 2006, 02:16 PM
what if they didn't bid higher because they didn't have the funds? is it fair to send a top 8 team on the road because bottom 8 teams come up with more cash?

if it's all about money here, why not just let the top 16 bidders into the playoffs and the rest can stay home and watch because their ADs didn't bid higher. i'm not asking why MSU and Hampton got home games, I know it's the money. I'm pissing and moaning about that sad fact.

Walkon79
November 20th, 2006, 02:41 PM

Both beat a I-A.

CP only had 6 D1 wins, Right?

pantherclaw
November 20th, 2006, 04:02 PM
correct.

pantherclaw
November 20th, 2006, 04:03 PM
CP only had 6 D1 wins, Right?

correct.