PDA

View Full Version : 2016 NFL Draft Small School Senior Prospects

BEAR
May 7th, 2015, 04:29 PM
According to CBS Sports the FCS has some good names..and some surprising ones!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/QB

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/DE

UCA has QB Taylor Reed and DE Jonathan Woodard.
Reed surprises me but Woodard will get drafted!

smallcollegefbfan
May 7th, 2015, 05:11 PM
According to CBS Sports the FCS has some good names..and some surprising ones!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/QB

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/DE

UCA has QB Taylor Reed and DE Jonathan Woodard.
Reed surprises me but Woodard will get drafted!

Go look now. Everyone is 999 except the top 5.

It's early and I remember all the draftniks and fans hyping Hodges from Harvard as a guaranteed draft pick. Everyone in the NFL pretty much knew Hodges would not get drafted as of last year. Let's see how Woodard looks this season. I won't say exactly where I have him but the veteran scouts I have talked to have him lower than I do. I have heard PFA and late rounds on him.

Based on my conversations with scouts and what I saw, he is a prospect but not a lock right now. That could change because of his physical tools but I would say he is more 50/50 in the eyes of the scouts who have already written up reports on him, and if he were 6'2 or 6'3 I would say more like 20/80.

Don't get too cocky on Woodard yet lol. And remember that CBS had Hodges as a 2-3 or 3-4 round projection this time last year.

Save their ratings right now and then revisit them come August. There will be a lot of changes.

WTFCollegefootballfan
May 7th, 2015, 06:43 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread150506/big-ten-quarterbacks-connor-cook-christian-hackenberg-cardale-jones-lead-2016-draft-class

BEAR
May 7th, 2015, 07:44 PM
I'm not worried about Woodard getting drafted. He will. You see I've talked to scouts too. Especially the ones that have been coming to UCA games and practices for two years. Here's what they've told me.

+
He has NFL DE size and strength.
He uses his arms effectively.
He plays smart.
His numbers didn't drop off going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense.

-
level of competition not big time.
needs to be more aggressive or have more fire.
Big DE class coming out this year.

Overall they all said he's very draftable and add on this year will only improve his draft stock.
Plus I heard coach is changing the 3-4 scheme so his numbers should go up.
Cant wait to see how he does against Ok. state!

smallcollegefbfan
May 8th, 2015, 09:37 AM
I'm not worried about Woodard getting drafted. He will. You see I've talked to scouts too. Especially the ones that have been coming to UCA games and practices for two years. Here's what they've told me.

+
He has NFL DE size and strength.
He uses his arms effectively.
He plays smart.
His numbers didn't drop off going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 defense.

-
level of competition not big time.
needs to be more aggressive or have more fire.
Big DE class coming out this year.

Overall they all said he's very draftable and add on this year will only improve his draft stock.
Plus I heard coach is changing the 3-4 scheme so his numbers should go up.
Cant wait to see how he does against Ok. state!

I do think his numbers will rise. I'm just saying it is early. I don't want you to get too excited and let down next year. If he does have a big year then I'm right with you on his ability. I'm not saying he can't be a very good NFL player because the potential is there. No doubt about that.

A lot of people thought Hodges was a lock at this point last year. I just don't want you to get let down like many people do. There are people who thought Hodges would go 3rd round and Tre McBride would go 3rd or 4th round at this time last year. That certainly did not happen, neither were ever rated that high by NFL teams.

To me, Woodard is a guy you take in the 7th round alone just because of the ability to fit in a 3-4 or 4-3, his size, and length. I just know that no matter what anyone has told me or you and no matter what his junior film looks like, we have a year ahead of us and anything can happen.

People close to Tre McBride thought he was a lock to go 2-4 but he went 7th round instead. I was surprised he went that late but I didn't see anyone taking him higher than the 4th or 5th round.

My point is that we have a long way to go. Players will retire, get in trouble, their play will fall off, etc. between now and then. I usually save these early mock drafts at this time of year and then go back and look at them the week before the draft. About 25 of the players people have in their first round mock drafts now won't even be in them the week of the draft. So much will change and nothing is a lock, that's my point. Look at Rodney Gunter as a good surprise example and Hodges and McBride as those who were completely let down by their hype.

Twentysix
May 8th, 2015, 09:50 AM
I do think his numbers will rise. Scouts also swore up and down to me that the Abilene Christian OT who had sex with his sister would still get drafted. GMs got involved and that quickly went south. I'm just saying it is early. I don't want you to get too excited and let down next year. Let's see how the season goes. If he does have a big year then I'm right with you on his ability. I'm not saying he can't be a very good NFL player because the potential is there. No doubt about that.

A lot of people thought Hodges was a lock at this point last year. I just don't want you to get let down like many people do.

To me, Woodard is a guy you take in the 7th round alone just because of the ability to fit in a 3-4 or 4-3, his size, and length. I just know that no matter what anyone has told me or you and no matter what his junior film looks like, we have a year ahead of us and anything can happen.

People close to Tre McBride thought he was a lock to go 2-4 but he went 7th round instead. I was surprised he went that late but I didn't see anyone taking him higher than the 4th or 5th round.

My point is that we have a long way to go. Players will retire, get in trouble, their play will fall off, etc. between now and then. I usually save these early mock drafts at this time of year and then go back and look at them the week before the draft. About 25 of the players people have in their first round mock drafts now won't even be in them the week of the draft. So much will change and nothing is a lock, that's my point.

This time last year nobody was talking about Rodney Gunter and nobody thought he would even go in the 4th round, a lot of teams were surprised by it even after the draft. Gunter passed by McBride, Zenner, Hodges, and so many others who were rated very high by the draftniks and went in the 4th round. Gunter did not go to any all-star game or the NFL Combine either. It just goes to show how nothing is a lock and nothing should surprise you, me, or anyone.

Woah, what did the UCA guy do to get an incestual analogy?

smallcollegefbfan
May 8th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Woah, what did the UCA guy do to get an incestual analogy?

Just using an example of a player who scouts vowed would not be punished on draft day and he was. I use to be amazed at how much players would rise or fall when coaches and GMs got involved. I realized a few years back that many times a team will draft a player in the mid rounds or pass on them all together when the area scouts had the opposite grades on them.

BEAR
May 8th, 2015, 06:22 PM
I don't get excited when ONE UCA player gets drafted...happens more and more since we moved to division I. Now 2 or more....and I'm a happy fan. That means the team probably had a good year.

smallcollegefbfan
May 8th, 2015, 08:21 PM
I don't get excited when ONE UCA player gets drafted...happens more and more since we moved to division I. Now 2 or more....and I'm a happy fan. That means the team probably had a good year.

You got to hope! Remember Georgia Southern's last year in FCS? They had 2 draft picks but had a losing record. Although, that was mostly attributed to injury. That same team was pretty good in FBS last year.

BisonTru
October 5th, 2015, 12:37 AM
http://nfldraftdiamonds.com/nfl-draft-diamonds-2016-small-school-rankings-2-0/

Not sure how reliable these projections are. Would like to here SCFFs take.