PDA

View Full Version : Sporting News PreSeason Poll

bluehenbillk
May 6th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Anyone see this yet?

I can't find poll, but saw a tweet from SHSU that they are ranked #2 in it.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 6th, 2015, 01:53 PM
Your post is the first I'm hearing of it.

CrazyCat
May 6th, 2015, 02:02 PM
It's only in their magazine.

http://www.newsadvance.com/sports/liberty_university/chris_lang_blog/preseason-magazine-time-already/article_b3345baa-f3fb-11e4-9847-f3fedd2a3789.html

centennial
May 6th, 2015, 03:01 PM
Anyone see this yet?

I can't find poll, but saw a tweet from SHSU that they are ranked #2 in it.
Another 15 transfers coming in for SHSU?

Daytripper
May 6th, 2015, 03:22 PM

Nope. Just losing two starters off of a semifinal team.

centennial
May 6th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Nope. Just losing two starters off of a semifinal team.
More size on the lines? Without that you are going to struggle against upper MVFC teams(NDSU, Ill State, UNI and maybe SDSU, YSU). Watching your team last year I felt you have a lot of FBS level players.

Daytripper
May 6th, 2015, 04:35 PM
More size on the lines? Without that you are going to struggle against upper MVFC teams(NDSU, Ill State, UNI and maybe SDSU, YSU). Watching your team last year I felt you have a lot of FBS level players.

We do have some FBS level players at the skill positions, but our line got pushed around by NDSU in the Semis. It was embarrassing really. But we did get a big U of Texas transfer O-lineman (Curtis Riser) and our new strength and conditioning coach has had a full year with our guys, so maybe we can compete in the trenches this year.... We will have to if we ever want to lift the trophy.

Sammy94
May 6th, 2015, 04:40 PM

More size on the lines?

2 of the 3 transfers for 2015

OL Curtis Riser 6-4 320 (Texas)
OL Marcus Gordon 6-3 315 (Grambling)

Nickels
May 7th, 2015, 08:56 AM

I thought I heard rumor of one from Wyoming(?) too.

clenz
May 7th, 2015, 09:27 AM
I've said it before but when SFA came to the dome last year it looked like a HS line standing next to UNIs.

Maybe SFA is a small SLC team...maybe....

Size wise they reminded me a Tenn Tech or Drake walking into the dome

CrazyCat
May 7th, 2015, 10:01 AM

Sam Hardy.

Sammy94
May 7th, 2015, 10:15 AM

I heard that also. I do know we've turn some guys looking to transfer away so unless it's a special player in a position needed, I don't foresee more than 1 or 2 more if any at all. We had 95 guys go through spring drills so I'm not sure how much wiggle room is left.

Catatonic
May 7th, 2015, 11:53 AM
I've said it before but when SFA came to the dome last year it looked like a HS line standing next to UNIs.

Maybe SFA is a small SLC team...maybe....

Size wise they reminded me a Tenn Tech or Drake walking into the dome

I can' speak for SFA or the conference as a whole, but Abilene Christian's line will average 6'5 and between 301-302. Size wise that compares favorably to Auburn and Miss State. Note: I said size not skill.
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-heaviest-lightest-offensive-lines-2015/

When we played Illinois State two years ago we averaged over 300 pounds and still got pushed around by Illinois State's smaller, but strong and mobile D Line. Depth was a bigger problem for us than size alone. We were exhausted by the fourth quarter. We had no bench at that point, having just begun the transition to FCS from D2 and had very few linemen on scholarship.

I believe that game convinced our coach that we needed to place a priority on finding quality linemen each year and redshirting as many as possible to build depth and experience.

clenz
May 7th, 2015, 12:06 PM
I can' speak for SFA or the conference as a whole, but Abilene Christian's line will average 6'5 and between 301-302. Size wise that compares favorably to Auburn and Miss State. Note: I said size not skill.
http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-heaviest-lightest-offensive-lines-2015/

When we played Illinois State two years ago we averaged over 300 pounds and still got pushed around by Illinois State's smaller, but strong and mobile D Line. Depth was a bigger problem for us than size alone. We were exhausted by the fourth quarter. We had no bench at that point, having just begun the transition to FCS from D2 and had very few linemen on scholarship.

I believe that game convinced our coach that we needed to place a priority on finding quality linemen each year and redshirting as many as possible to build depth and experience.
UNI's DL was as big/bigger than SFAs line in build.
SFAs DL looked like UNIs LBs

It was a bizzaro world for a playoff game. Typically playoff team are relatively equal size. This was size and strength a complete mistmatch

UNI's OL last year was small for a UNI OL. I think it was probably 6'3/6/4 300. Typically it's 6'4/6'5 and 315-320

It wasn't that long long ago UNI's starting OL was
6'5 320
6'4 310
6'3 310
6'3 315
6'6 325

From left to right. Our TE on that team was 6'7 310...he's now a starting LT in the NFL (pretty sure he played basketball at UNI his first year or two on campus as well)

TheRevSFA
May 7th, 2015, 12:27 PM
Our shortest is 6'0 285 and tallest is 6'6 316

most are about 6'3 and 290 so small

Catatonic
May 7th, 2015, 12:47 PM
UNI's DL was as big/bigger than SFAs line in build.
SFAs DL looked like UNIs LBs

It was a bizzaro world for a playoff game. Typically playoff team are relatively equal size. This was size and strength a complete mistmatch

UNI's OL last year was small for a UNI OL. I think it was probably 6'3/6/4 300. Typically it's 6'4/6'5 and 315-320

It wasn't that long long ago UNI's starting OL was
6'5 320
6'4 310
6'3 310
6'3 315
6'6 325

From left to right. Our TE on that team was 6'7 310...he's now a starting LT in the NFL (pretty sure he played basketball at UNI his first year or two on campus as well)

That's big, particularly a TE of that size who no doubt was mobile.

Do you or other teams in the MVFC look for a certain size from your front seven? I have seen some interesting stats that correlate size of front seven with overall defensive performance. If I have a size concern about our team its our front seven, not so much on the D line, but our linebackers are on the light side....especially on the outside. Our strong side backer is a hybrid safety/backer at 205 and our other two guys in the middle are 215 and 225.

Mattymc727
May 7th, 2015, 12:51 PM
I remember thinking how big the ISU offensive line was before the semi-final game. I was quite worried because the UNH d-line was undersized. It had zero effect. In fact, the UNH dline dominated in run situations for most of the game. Sometimes size doesnt matter, depending on what type of offense is being run.

Typically ground and pound you want bigger linemen. Fast paced west coast offenses want smaller and quicker guys.

clenz
May 7th, 2015, 12:54 PM
That's big, particularly a TE of that size who no doubt was mobile.

Do you or other teams in the MVFC look for a certain size from your front seven? I have seen some interesting stats that correlate size of front seven with overall defensive performance. If I have a size concern about our team its our front seven, not so much on the D line, but our linebackers are on the light side....especially on the outside. Our strong side backer is a hybrid safety/backer at 205 and our other two guys in the middle are 215 and 225.
Those are safeties in the MVFC.

I would be most MVFC lines average 6'3 or 6'4 and 310-315 inside and 6'4/6'5 305-310 at the tackle spots.

It isn't all about size, but it's not like the guys UNI, SDSU, ISUr, NDSU, etc.. are recruiting are just big. There's a reason UNI has had 4 or 5 OL drafted and about 4 or 5 others sign on with teams/try out in the last 8 years

Catatonic
May 7th, 2015, 12:58 PM
I remember thinking how big the ISU offensive line was before the semi-final game. I was quite worried because the UNH d-line was undersized. It had zero effect. In fact, the UNH dline dominated in run situations for most of the game. Sometimes size doesnt matter, depending on what type of offense is being run.

Typically ground and pound you want bigger linemen. Fast paced west coast offenses want smaller and quicker guys.

In the SEC, Bielema wants a big ol....appropriately enough he coaches the hogs.....for his run dominated game, whereas Mark Richt has actually worked on getting some weight off his UGA OL to increase mobility for his pro style balance offense. Preseason, Georgia's line is considered the best in the conference, as well as one of the lightest.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Those are safeties in the MVFC.

I would be most MVFC lines average 6'3 or 6'4 and 310-315 inside and 6'4/6'5 305-310 at the tackle spots.

It isn't all about size, but it's not like the guys UNI, SDSU, ISUr, NDSU, etc.. are recruiting are just big. There's a reason UNI has had 4 or 5 OL drafted and about 4 or 5 others sign on with teams/try out in the last 8 years

There's a reason for the term "corn fed".

Daytripper
May 7th, 2015, 01:51 PM
There's a reason for the term "corn fed".

Texas boys are "Barbecue Fed"....the only problem is they sweat the weight off in this humidity.

KPSUL
May 7th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Very intriguing "mine is bigger than yours" comparison between the MVFC and Southland. How does it relate to a not-yet-existing Preseason Poll?

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Very intriguing "mine is bigger than yours" comparison between the MVFC and Southland. How does it relate to a not-yet-existing Preseason Poll?

Something to talk about.

Catatonic
May 7th, 2015, 02:11 PM

We so big. You so wittle. We squash you.

Bigger is better and consequently more worthy of rank?

Mattymc727
May 7th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Its May, what else can we talk about?

I actually want to start a deflate gate thread...

centennial
May 7th, 2015, 02:23 PM
The size and the conditioning of the lines are one of the biggest reasons NDSU has done well.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2015, 02:49 PM
I'm too lazy to look, has anyone brought up Southern Speed®?

clenz
May 7th, 2015, 03:42 PM
A SHSU poster did, kind of.

Said it was dominated by NDSU size.

So, there's that.

Turns out speed doesn't mean **** if you have no one to block long enough to allow that speed to do anything

Sam_Kats
May 7th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Must be a slow housekeeping day in Lawrence.

McNeeserocket
May 7th, 2015, 04:39 PM

Won't the Grambling Player have to sit out a year unless he is a graduate student?

Sammy94
May 7th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Won't the Grambling Player have to sit out a year unless he is a graduate student?

He did last season.

caribbeanhen
May 7th, 2015, 04:55 PM

no it all moved up to FBS

centennial
May 7th, 2015, 06:41 PM
no it all moved up to FBS
Georgia Southern has done well in the Sun Belt.

clenz
May 7th, 2015, 07:51 PM
What's that tell you about the sun belt vs the FCS?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

WTFCollegefootballfan
May 7th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Here is a 2015 prediction...............http://www.bennettrank.com/game-predictions/d1-fcs-football-predictions/#

WTFCollegefootballfan
May 7th, 2015, 08:00 PM
Off-season conference rankings..............http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_05_06_2015.htm

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 7th, 2015, 08:32 PM
What's that tell you about the sun belt vs the FCS?

Georgia Southern was pretty legit. They stood up against a "respectable" NC State team and a legitimately very good Georgia Tech team. The Navy loss was ugly but the Middies have made a lot of solid FBS teams look foolish. I think the Eagles would have made a serious run to Frisco last year. The GSU cruised through the SBC with relative ease like a superior team should. The league as a whole is horrific.....xnodx

NoDak 4 Ever
May 7th, 2015, 09:51 PM
As long as they didn't have to come to Fargo for a semi. That never seems to work out for them.

Catatonic
May 8th, 2015, 04:26 AM
Here is a 2015 prediction...............http://www.bennettrank.com/game-predictions/d1-fcs-football-predictions/#

Preseason rank is based on last year x the strength of the conference as a whole. Without some adjustment based on losses to graduation, transfers in and out and other details about the current team, this poll is less a preseason prediction and more a end of season rank, much like Sagarin at this point. Also, since rank is adjusted week-to-week based on the previous week's rank, results are biased in favor of top ranked teams.

Preseason rankings are determined based on the performance of the team the season prior, augmented by the strength of their conference as a whole. Week-to-week changes in ranking are incremental; meaning the previous week’s ranks are the base from which adjustments are.

PaladinFan
May 8th, 2015, 06:43 AM
Georgia Southern was pretty legit. They stood up against a "respectable" NC State team and a legitimately very good Georgia Tech team. The Navy loss was ugly but the Middies have made a lot of solid FBS teams look foolish. I think the Eagles would have made a serious run to Frisco last year. The GSU cruised through the SBC with relative ease like a superior team should. The league as a whole is horrific.....xnodx

More or less my argument for why I think the SoCon's death is greatly exaggerated. Both Georgia Southern and App State struggled in the SoCon before finishing top 3 in the SunBelt the next season.

Maybe the SunBelt is bad. Maybe those two programs got much better over that one off season. Maybe the SoCon isn't as bad as people assume.

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 8th, 2015, 07:46 AM
More or less my argument for why I think the SoCon's death is greatly exaggerated. Both Georgia Southern and App State struggled in the SoCon before finishing top 3 in the SunBelt the next season.

Maybe the SunBelt is bad. Maybe those two programs got much better over that one off season. Maybe the SoCon isn't as bad as people assume.

Those two were still among the giants of FCS thus making them basically impossible to replace. While the SoCon will remain a good league every year and a very good league once in a while, it'll never be like it was. Likewise with the Big East in basketball.

The emergence of the Big South is also a factor in this imo. CCU has become the "cool" FCS program in South Carolina...

The CAA has not yet recovered from the loss of UMass imo. It still feels like UNH is all by themselves in the great north.

Sammy94
May 8th, 2015, 07:57 AM

That's because Fritz knows what to do with southern speed.

BEAR
May 8th, 2015, 08:11 AM
That's because Fritz knows what to do with southern speed.

The SLC is starting to look like the SEC in its makeup. You have 4 or 5 teams that can compete for the SLC title every year and some second tier that get their shot once every 5 years or so. Plus you get one team that makes a natty run..most recently its been Sam. NO other comparisons between the two should be made. xlolx

jmufan999
May 8th, 2015, 09:12 AM

they struggled in the same way a lot of programs do with one foot out the door. UMass did the same thing their final year in the CAA. looked like they were barely trying. that's pretty typical. but it's kinda hard to argue the SoCon isn't drastically different without them. take out the top 2 programs in any conference and it's going to be very noticeable.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
May 8th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Those two were still among the giants of FCS thus making them basically impossible to replace. While the SoCon will remain a good league every year and a very good league once in a while, it'll never be like it was. Likewise with the Big East in basketball.

The emergence of the Big South is also a factor in this imo. CCU has become the "cool" FCS program in South Carolina...

The CAA has not yet recovered from the loss of UMass imo. It still feels like UNH is all by themselves in the great north.

Even though Maine was the CAA AQ in 2013 with a 7-1 league record that season (loss was to UNH not one of the Southern schools)?

GetEmGriz
May 8th, 2015, 11:48 AM
So when exactly can we expect Sporting News to release its pre-season poll in the magazine?

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 8th, 2015, 02:33 PM
Even though Maine was the CAA AQ in 2013 with a 7-1 league record that season (loss was to UNH not one of the Southern schools)?

UMass was a consistently strong 1AA/FCS program for as long as I can remember. They won a title in 1998 and were a finalist in 2006. The Minutemen also had a larger fan base than Maine, a bigger stadium and a killer band. While the Black Bears have had their share of success, it has been pretty sporadic. UMass, to me, felt like one of the 1AA/FCS pillars in the Northeast.

KPSUL
May 8th, 2015, 06:07 PM

There was nothing to recover from when UMass left the CAA. They only won one conference championship which was shared with Richmond in 2007. That year was their only playoff appearance in the 5 years they played in the CAA. Hardly a conference powerhouse.

The CAA is no longer a dominate FCS conference because the MVFC has been steadily getting stronger each season and now plays on a level that is a cut above the rest of FCS. It has absolutely nothing to do with the UMass move to FBS.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 8th, 2015, 06:29 PM
There was nothing to recover from when UMass left the CAA. They only won one conference championship which was shared with Richmond in 2007. That year was their only playoff appearance in the 5 years they played in the CAA. Hardly a conference powerhouse.

The CAA is no longer a dominate FCS conference because the MVFC has been steadily getting stronger each season and now plays on a level that is a cut above the rest of FCS. It has absolutely nothing to do with the UMass move to FBS.

I know UMass was decent but I also don't remember them being the cream of the crop in the CAA most years. They were mid pack most of the time, which was still very good but them leaving did not diminish the CAA in any significant way that I can see. Towson's emergence has compensated that loss quite easily.

Mattymc727
May 8th, 2015, 07:27 PM
The loss of UMass was a blow to northeast football in the FCS, but not the CAA. I think Albany and Stony Brook have filled in quite nicely.

UMass should never have left for the MAC, but that's a different discussion.

catamount man
May 8th, 2015, 08:31 PM
So when exactly can we expect Sporting News to release its pre-season poll in the magazine? I always seem to find them by mid-June. GO CATS!

AshevilleApp2
May 9th, 2015, 07:53 AM

I think both did improve, but the Southern Conference will be fine. A lot of teams have moved on over the years, and the league adjusted.

carney2
May 9th, 2015, 12:13 PM
I know UMass was decent but ... them leaving did not diminish the CAA in any significant way that I can see.

But it did. The CAA's New England footprint was greatly diminished. Someone pumped some air into Rhode Island to keep them afloat a little longer and, I guess, to cut travel expenses for Maine and UNH. How long can that last? The old Yankee Conference that morphed into the CAA has died a quiet death. Is the addition of Albany enough to provide playmates in the northeast? Lots of questions in the CAA north of Villanova, PA. Is it sustainable? The loss of UMass was a key factor in what the CAA is, and what it will become.

Sitting Bull
May 9th, 2015, 01:05 PM
Funny how everyone mentions UMass, no one mentions UConn.

i agree, this is overblown though. UNH has consistenly been viewed as the premier team on the northern flank of the CAA in my experience, on par if not slightly ahead of UMass, even when they were in the league together.

Adding Stony Brook and UAlbany was a terrific response and as time goes on, I think you will see the northern flank get stronger.

The CAA is a very strong group with or without UMass.

i expect the next defection will be JMU though if the CAA wants to stick south on the replacement, they have a ready candidate in Coastal Carolina which would be a nice addition for all sports.

KPSUL
May 9th, 2015, 03:50 PM
But it did. The CAA's New England footprint was greatly diminished. Someone pumped some air into Rhode Island to keep them afloat a little longer and, I guess, to cut travel expenses for Maine and UNH. How long can that last? The old Yankee Conference that morphed into the CAA has died a quiet death. Is the addition of Albany enough to provide playmates in the northeast? Lots of questions in the CAA north of Villanova, PA. Is it sustainable? The loss of UMass was a key factor in what the CAA is, and what it will become.

The CAA doesn't need a bigger New England footprint. Adding two schools from NY that clearly aspire to compete in the premiere FCS conference on the East Coast strengthens the conference and more than makes up for the loss of UMass. The 12 schools are well dispersed from Maine to Northern NC. With the exception of JMU, all of the schools currently playing football in the conference do not seem to by contemplating a move to FBS and only Rhode Island has considered moving to another FCS conference to save travel costs or dropping football altogether. In the unlikely event both schools left, and no new schools joined, it would still be a 10 team football conference.

UNH's success over the past several season has drawn fan support from the metro Boston area. UNH is a quicker drive from Boston than UMass Amherst and there are a lot of UNH alumni in the Boston area. The question is really how badly has UMass been hurt by departing, not how much was the conference hurt by their decision.

How do things look in the PL? Any chance that Georgetown will drop football or move down a division? What about Fordham or Holy Cross, any chance either school would jump at the chance to play football in the CAA? I'm guessing that the rest of the league members are solid, but any thoughts?

DFW HOYA
May 9th, 2015, 04:29 PM
How do things look in the PL? Any chance that Georgetown will drop football or move down a division?

Another division? Does anyone seriously think Georgetown would join the PSAC or Northeast-10?

Its president is clear on where things stand with the PL:

"I’m hopeful that [the PL] will continue to be the best place for us to be, but I’m not supportive of moving to a scholarship program and I’m not supportive that Georgetown would follow the move that Fordham did and go to 63 scholarships. It’s just very expensive and I don’t think it’s commensurate in who we are and in our aspirations for our athletic program."

Georgetown is the West Point of I-AA (without the stadium of course): the kids will give 110% effort, but the competitive disparity is a problem and a conference model appears not to serve either very well. Division II is not an option.

32counter
May 9th, 2015, 07:33 PM
Fordham (for football only) and Coastal Carolina (for all sports) to the CAA would be a perfect fit if URI and JMU leave for different pastures.

CAA football would be strengthened by this move.

NoDak 4 Ever
May 9th, 2015, 10:40 PM
Fordham (for football only) and Coastal Carolina (for all sports) to the CAA would be a perfect fit if URI and JMU leave for different pastures.

CAA football would be strengthened by this move.

YSU to the CAA!

BisonFan02
May 10th, 2015, 12:26 AM
YSU to the CAA!

This.

carney2
May 10th, 2015, 08:57 AM
How do things look in the PL? Any chance that Georgetown will drop football or move down a division? What about Fordham or Holy Cross, any chance either school would jump at the chance to play football in the CAA? I'm guessing that the rest of the league members are solid, but any thoughts?

You certainly got DFW's attention. But all it takes is one word - Georgetown - for that to happen. Anyway, you bring up some interesting possibilities. One (uninformed) person's opinions:

Georgetown - Always iffy, despite DFW's protests to the contrary. Their staunch anti-scholarship stand in a League that has gone the other way would appear to make them permanently non-competitive. The football facility is another problem that needn't be permanent, but gives every appearance that it is. Still, they surprise. Rob Sgarlata's first recruiting class appears very good. Can he keep it up?

Fordham - As with Georgetown, no one is happy with their "associate" status for football only. They left the Patriot League in the early 90s to go big time in basketball. Everyone is still waiting for that to happen. Anyway, do they have one foot in the door, or one foot out? Joe Moorhead seems to be playing by a different set of rules that are taking the program to a higher level. Is this sustainable? Would it survive a Moorhead departure? Will it lead to higher ambitions?

Holy Cross is one of the core Patriot League schools. Despite the clamorings of Sader87 and a few others that "we shoulda been in the Big East," the Crusaders seem to have found their perfect League. Every time a new face appears on campus (right now it's the new AD, Nathan Pine), the faithful hope/pray/delude themselves that he's been given the green light - and the money - to take Cross athletics to the promised land - and a new conference. Ain't gonna happen. My personal opinion is that they will straighten out the mess that has been Holy Cross basketball, returning the Patsies to a two team League, along with Bucknell. Beyond that, the administration has neither the resources nor the heart to make athletics much more than they are.

The moguls of the Patriot League continue to mumble that they are in search of new members. They botched the non-football side of things two years ago when they signed up Boston University and Loyola (MD), so their competence is in question. As for football, the pickings are slim at the moment, so bad decisions seem to be the only ones available. But, the landscape keeps changing so doing nothing, as they are now, is a good thing.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 10th, 2015, 03:46 PM
YSU to the CAA!

This here!

KPSUL
May 10th, 2015, 04:14 PM
The moguls of the Patriot League continue to mumble that they are in search of new members. They botched the non-football side of things two years ago when they signed up Boston University and Loyola (MD), so their competence is in question. As for football, the pickings are slim at the moment, so bad decisions seem to be the only ones available. But, the landscape keeps changing so doing nothing, as they are now, is a good thing.[/QUOTE]

Is the main issue with BU and Loyola as members that fact that neither school has a football program? When I think BU I think hockey. Loyola, soccer and lacrosse. How about Army and Navy? Do you see any difference with the service academies? Neither is likely to play football in the PL.

bluehenbillk
May 11th, 2015, 09:36 AM
JMU is 12th - UNH 18.

WestCoastAggie
May 11th, 2015, 09:51 AM
The moguls of the Patriot League continue to mumble that they are in search of new members. They botched the non-football side of things two years ago when they signed up Boston University and Loyola (MD), so their competence is in question. As for football, the pickings are slim at the moment, so bad decisions seem to be the only ones available. But, the landscape keeps changing so doing nothing, as they are now, is a good thing.

Is the main issue with BU and Loyola as members that fact that neither school has a football program? When I think BU I think hockey. Loyola, soccer and lacrosse. How about Army and Navy? Do you see any difference with the service academies? Neither is likely to play football in the PL.[/QUOTE]

The PL could always go get Howard if they want a Football School.

DFW HOYA
May 11th, 2015, 10:21 AM
The PL could always go get Howard if they want a Football School.

I don't know where to begin with that statement. Completely out of left field.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 11th, 2015, 10:26 AM
The CAA doesn't need a bigger New England footprint. Adding two schools from NY that clearly aspire to compete in the premiere FCS conference on the East Coast strengthens the conference and more than makes up for the loss of UMass. The 12 schools are well dispersed from Maine to Northern NC. With the exception of JMU, all of the schools currently playing football in the conference do not seem to by contemplating a move to FBS and only Rhode Island has considered moving to another FCS conference to save travel costs or dropping football altogether. In the unlikely event both schools left, and no new schools joined, it would still be a 10 team football conference.

UNH's success over the past several season has drawn fan support from the metro Boston area. UNH is a quicker drive from Boston than UMass Amherst and there are a lot of UNH alumni in the Boston area. The question is really how badly has UMass been hurt by departing, not how much was the conference hurt by their decision.

Stony Brook has an AD in place down there that seems to think that sustained CAA success might put the Seawolves into FBS, so I'd revise that if I were you.

Fordham
May 11th, 2015, 10:30 AM
You certainly got DFW's attention. But all it takes is one word - Georgetown - for that to happen. Anyway, you bring up some interesting possibilities. One (uninformed) person's opinions:

Georgetown - Always iffy, despite DFW's protests to the contrary. Their staunch anti-scholarship stand in a League that has gone the other way would appear to make them permanently non-competitive. The football facility is another problem that needn't be permanent, but gives every appearance that it is. Still, they surprise. Rob Sgarlata's first recruiting class appears very good. Can he keep it up?

Fordham - As with Georgetown, no one is happy with their "associate" status for football only. They left the Patriot League in the early 90s to go big time in basketball. Everyone is still waiting for that to happen. Anyway, do they have one foot in the door, or one foot out? Joe Moorhead seems to be playing by a different set of rules that are taking the program to a higher level. Is this sustainable? Would it survive a Moorhead departure? Will it lead to higher ambitions?

Holy Cross is one of the core Patriot League schools. Despite the clamorings of Sader87 and a few others that "we shoulda been in the Big East," the Crusaders seem to have found their perfect League. Every time a new face appears on campus (right now it's the new AD, Nathan Pine), the faithful hope/pray/delude themselves that he's been given the green light - and the money - to take Cross athletics to the promised land - and a new conference. Ain't gonna happen. My personal opinion is that they will straighten out the mess that has been Holy Cross basketball, returning the Patsies to a two team League, along with Bucknell. Beyond that, the administration has neither the resources nor the heart to make athletics much more than they are.

There is zero interest by anyone who matters at Fordham in playing football anywhere other than the PL, now that the scholarship issue is resolved. It's undetermined exactly how scholarships will effect the overall competitiveness but it's certain that the needle is pointing up imo.

jmufan999
May 11th, 2015, 10:32 AM
JMU is 12th - UNH 18.

and Nova is 4th.

stunned that UNH isn't higher. would have assumed at least top 5-7. did they lose a bunch of players? I know Harris left, but they're in contention for the CAA title every year. winning the CAA will always make you a top 10 program by the end of the year.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 11th, 2015, 10:36 AM
BU and Loyola are schools that should have football programs, but do not, something that ought to be re-emphasized every once in a while. BU has a stadium that once housed the Boston Patriots of the AFL and could be repurposed for FCS football tomorrow if they came to their senses, and Loyola (MD) has a lacrosse stadium that could tomorrow be used for football as well.

Both BU and Loyola are just about 60% female enrollment. The addition of football teams would add some much-needed male diversity to both schools, not to mention some much-needed rallying points for the alumni. As great as the Hounds are in lacrosse (who just upset BC this past weekend), it's hard to have that as the rallying point of your whole athletic department. And while BU hockey remains a very good program, it hardly meets the moneymaking standard that John Silber put forward as a rationale to pull the plug on BU's football program back in the day.

MR. CHICKEN
May 11th, 2015, 10:37 AM
Stony Brook has an AD in place down there that seems to think that sustained CAA success might put the Seawolves into FBS, so I'd revise that if I were you.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20708&stc=1..........UHH.........UP THERE.......xnodx....AWK!

Mattymc727
May 11th, 2015, 11:00 AM
and Nova is 4th.

stunned that UNH isn't higher. would have assumed at least top 5-7. did they lose a bunch of players? I know Harris left, but they're in contention for the CAA title every year. winning the CAA will always make you a top 10 program by the end of the year.

UNH will be a top ten team again.

DFW HOYA
May 11th, 2015, 11:04 AM
BU and Loyola are schools that should have football programs, but do not, something that ought to be re-emphasized every once in a while.

Except there's absolutely no pressure exerted by the PL on this. Not that someone's going to tell BU that if they don't get a program, they're on the slippery slope back to the America East, but there's little incentives being applied.

Add American to that list as well, though no one would confuse Reeves Field with Nickerson Field.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 11th, 2015, 11:39 AM
Add American to that list as well, though no one would confuse Reeves Field with Nickerson Field.

A nice field it is, too:

http://www.aueagles.com/information/facilities/reeves_field

Would need some extras to be ready for PL football, but certainly is theoretically possible.

Percent female students at American U.: 60.7%.

KPSUL
May 11th, 2015, 12:37 PM
BU and Loyola are schools that should have football programs, but do not, something that ought to be re-emphasized every once in a while. BU has a stadium that once housed the Boston Patriots of the AFL and could be repurposed for FCS football tomorrow if they came to their senses, and Loyola (MD) has a lacrosse stadium that could tomorrow be used for football as well.

Both BU and Loyola are just about 60% female enrollment. The addition of football teams would add some much-needed male diversity to both schools, not to mention some much-needed rallying points for the alumni. As great as the Hounds are in lacrosse (who just upset BC this past weekend), it's hard to have that as the rallying point of your whole athletic department. And while BU hockey remains a very good program, it hardly meets the moneymaking standard that John Silber put forward as a rationale to pull the plug on BU's football program back in the day.

A football team at the FCS level, would be nearly out of the question for Loyola. They have one athletic field with synthetic turf used by both the Lacrosse and soccer teams. Even if they were inclined to start a football program, the existing field is way to small to build a 10,000 seat stadium. Every square foot of campus real estate is at a premium. Loyola has tried to purchase more nearby property, particularly from Notre Dame College, the sleepy women's college next door. If they could buy more real estate they would use it for academic space, or even parking, before they would consider a football program. They are also located about 3 miles from Towson University, and even closer to Morgan State. I don't think the area needs a third FCS football team.

I agree, BU should have never shut down its football program, and they could better accommadate a team than Loyola. In addition to already having Nickerson Field, BU has got to have 4 or 5 times the number of undergraduates than Loyola, and because they played football for many years, there must be some remaining football support in the alumni community.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 11th, 2015, 01:00 PM
A football team at the FCS level, would be nearly out of the question for Loyola. They have one athletic field with synthetic turf used by both the Lacrosse and soccer teams. Even if they were inclined to start a football program, the existing field is way to small to build a 10,000 seat stadium.

The Ridley Athletic Complex has a 7,000 seat stadium already for lacrosse and IMO you could play FCS football games on that field tomorrow.

They've already packed the stadium there for big lacrosse games.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/locl/sports/genrel/auto_player/4672271.jpeg

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/locl/sports/m-lacros/auto_player/4674688.jpeg

walliver
May 11th, 2015, 03:13 PM
The Ridley Athletic Complex has a 7,000 seat stadium already for lacrosse and IMO you could play FCS football games on that field tomorrow.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/locl/sports/m-lacros/auto_player/4674688.jpeg

What is the athletic field to the far right in the first picture? It has what appears to be a football (or rugby) goalpost?

KPSUL
May 11th, 2015, 05:54 PM

Nice lacrosse crowd, particularly considering the weather! Actually it reminds me of a UNH regular season home game on a rainy day. However, there's a lot more to building a DIV 1, FCS football program beyond having a marginally suitable field. In the interest of full disclosure, I need to tell you I worked at Loyola and lived in the neighborhood. I don't think playing football in the PL is one of the top 100 things on their priority list.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 12th, 2015, 09:20 AM
Nice lacrosse crowd, particularly considering the weather! Actually it reminds me of a UNH regular season home game on a rainy day. However, there's a lot more to building a DIV 1, FCS football program beyond having a marginally suitable field. In the interest of full disclosure, I need to tell you I worked at Loyola and lived in the neighborhood. I don't think playing football in the PL is one of the top 100 things on their priority list.

Oh, I agree about that. I'm just saying if they REALLY were interested in getting their male/female ratio closer to 50%, wanted something to further rally the alumni... football would be a great investment.

Same goes for BU and American.

carney2
May 13th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Is the main issue with BU and Loyola as members that fact that neither school has a football program? When I think BU I think hockey. Loyola, soccer and lacrosse. How about Army and Navy? Do you see any difference with the service academies? Neither is likely to play football in the PL.

Where to begin with this one ....

I guess the lack of a football program at the two schools is a big part of the "problem." For years the League brain trust stated that they were searching all sports members. In many respects both BU and Loyola qualify. They are, after all, "in" for everything they offer (and that is offered by the League) They are not "associate" members a'la Fordham and Georgetown, but without football they have no presence in the League's marquis sport. (Like it or not, the Patriot League is primarily a football conference.)

Neither school "fits." BU is a large (and, by Patriot League standards I do mean LARGE) urban university and Loyola is ... well, Loyola. You can say that Fordham is urban and relatively large, but they are "associate" members for football only.

Patriot League devotees have their preferred hit list for prospective members. It includes Villanova, William & Mary, Richmond, and a very few others. It's a wild butt dream with no immediate prospects of fulfillment, but the college football landscape is changing and dreams don't cost anything. In any event, any schools outside that dream list are a disappointment to most of the devoted.

BU and Loyola give the League 10 all sports members. Any more and scheduling would become cumbersome, probably forcing the League to separate into divisions. Not many find that desirable.

With the League fathers and mothers going so far afield to bed BU and Loyola, justified fears are stirred up that a Marist, Bryant or Sacred Heart may be in the discussion. Say it ain't so!

As for Army and Navy, we may not be consistent in our thinking, but they bring their own national cache to the party, and we are all delighted to have them aboard, football or not.

If there is an element of academic (not athletic) elitism to all of this, so be it.

RichH2
May 13th, 2015, 10:43 AM
+1 Well said carney. I wouldn't call our approach elitist just balanced. Unlike so many other athletic conferences,PL 's aim is to balance academics and athletic competitiveness. The main issue with Loyola and BU was to me the apparent the former to accommodate the latter. Neither are a perfect fit but overall ,I have no issue with them as all sport members. It has served to improve competition in many sports,particularly lax and Bball.

kdinva
May 13th, 2015, 01:07 PM
What is the athletic field to the far right in the first picture? It has what appears to be a football (or rugby) goalpost?

that be rugby.....

kdinva
May 13th, 2015, 01:08 PM
This facility already better than about 15 or so of the current 1-AA venues.....

Nickels
May 19th, 2015, 08:52 AM
More size on the lines?
Added another OL..
http://www.smokingmusket.com/2015/5/18/8623763/wvu-ol-tyler-tezeno-transfering-to-sam-houston-state

SFA 93
May 20th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Coach Conque adds two more to the SFA roster.

Both Texas State transfers...http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000TpSgaxdzemo/s/650/650/MKTX-041014-4088.jpg
Germod Williams
5-11 • 190 • Junior • Safety
Shreveport, La. (Oak Ridge (Texas) H.S./Texas State)
Prior to SFA: Spent two seasons at Texas State ... Played in 17 games for the Bobcats, tallying 44 tackles, including 27 solo stops, with five interceptions ... Recorded 36 tackles (27 solo) in nine games in 2014, tying for the team lead with four interceptions ... Recorded eight tackles in eight games as a freshman with an interception at Texas Tech ... Letterwinner at Conroe (Texas) High School ... All-District 15-4A selection ... Semifinalist for Houston Touchdown Club Player of the Year ... Posted 63 tackles (57 solo) with an interception ... Coached by Dereck Rush ... Member of Oak Ridge track and field team ... National Honor Society member ... Three-star recruit by Rivals.
http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000tI_r8SD_SSU/s/650/650/MKTX-300814-9470.jpg
Lucas Askew
6-6 • 235 • Redshirt Freshman • Tight End
Big Sandy, Texas (Harmony H.S./Texas State)
Prior to SFA: Spent one season at Texas State, utilizing his redshirt season ... Two-star recruit by Rivals out of Harmony High School ... Accumulated 65 receptions for 865 yards and 12 touchdowns during his prep career ... Set career-best with 33 catches for 487 yards and seven touchdowns as a junior ... Followed up with 32 catches for 378 yards and five touchdowns as a senior ... Ranked among top-10 tight end prospects in Texas and among top East Texas prospects ... Top-100 national tight end prospect by 247Sports.com ... Second team Academic All-State in 2013 ... Coached by Timothy Russell ... National Honor Society member ... Graduated in top 10 percent of class with 4.00 GPA.

DoubleE
May 23rd, 2015, 10:13 AM
RANK SCHOOL
1 North Dakota State
2 Sam Houston State
3 Illinois State
4 Villanova
5 Eastern Washington
6 Coastal Carolina
7 Jacksonville State
8 Chattanooga
9 Montana State
10 Youngstown State
11 Northern Iowa
12 James Madison
13 Idaho State
14 Eastern Kentucky
15 Montana
16 Liberty
17 Stephen F. Austin
18 New Hampshire
19 Indiana State
20 Alcorn State
21 Southeastern Louisiana
22 Northern Arizona
23 South Dakota State
24 Charleston Southern
25 Eastern Illinois

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 23rd, 2015, 02:01 PM
RANK SCHOOL
1 North Dakota State
2 Sam Houston State
3 Illinois State
4 Villanova
5 Eastern Washington
6 Coastal Carolina
7 Jacksonville State
8 Chattanooga
9 Montana State
10 Youngstown State
11 Northern Iowa
12 James Madison
13 Idaho State
14 Eastern Kentucky
15 Montana
16 Liberty
17 Stephen F. Austin
18 New Hampshire
19 Indiana State
20 Alcorn State
21 Southeastern Louisiana
22 Northern Arizona
23 South Dakota State
24 Charleston Southern
25 Eastern Illinois

I'll cheer for fellow Valley schools but YSU has not done jack squat to warrant a #10 ranking to start the year IMO. Soft OOC schedules and late season collapse are a couple of more reasons....

Daytripper
May 23rd, 2015, 02:48 PM
I'll cheer for fellow Valley schools but YSU has not done jack squat to warrant a #10 ranking to start the year IMO. Soft OOC schedules and late season collapse are a couple of more reasons....

The Pelini Effect....

clenz
May 23rd, 2015, 07:41 PM
Based on my early thoughts they are closer to 10th in the Valley than 10th in the country

centennial
May 23rd, 2015, 08:20 PM
Based on my early thoughts they are closer to 10th in the Valley than 10th in the country

Explain.. Unless you know something that no one knows.

clenz
May 23rd, 2015, 08:48 PM
Explain.. Unless you know something that no one knows.
I have them 5th or 6th in the valley. That's 4 or 5 spots from 10th.

I don't have them in the top 15.

Which, by default, puts them closer to 10th in the Valley than nationally.

Honestly, what about them screams contender? Ruiz is very good, I'll grant that. Their QB play is slightly erratic - when it's good it's good but when it's off it's ooooffff. Look at Pelini's history with QBs, that's not going to change. The defense was okay but not really great (gave up over 375 ypg in conference play last year). The players on the roster folded late in games for the last...well...since sweater vest left. Pelini might have some impact there but that gets ingrained in a players head and is tough to break.

Pelini takes a certain type of player to play for him. He is very tough to put up with and can/does rub people wrong.

Like most years i see YSU dominating the NEC and PFL teams on their OOC schedule and getting expectations really high before going 4-4 in conference play yet again.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 24th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I have them 5th or 6th in the valley. That's 4 or 5 spots from 10th.

I don't have them in the top 15.

Which, by default, puts them closer to 10th in the Valley than nationally.

Honestly, what about them screams contender? Ruiz is very good, I'll grant that. Their QB play is slightly erratic - when it's good it's good but when it's off it's ooooffff. Look at Pelini's history with QBs, that's not going to change. The defense was okay but not really great (gave up over 375 ypg in conference play last year). The players on the roster folded late in games for the last...well...since sweater vest left. Pelini might have some impact there but that gets ingrained in a players head and is tough to break.

Pelini takes a certain type of player to play for him. He is very tough to put up with and can/does rub people wrong.

Like most years i see YSU dominating the NEC and PFL teams on their OOC schedule and getting expectations really high before going 4-4 in conference play yet again.

Cannot argue with much of this. Pretty much right on.

I think YSU is a middle of the pack or upper 1/2 Valley team.

Top 3: NDSU, ILL State and UNI

Middle 4: SDSU, SIU, WIU and YSU

Bottom 3: Ind State, USD and MSU

Did Sawyer come out of spring ball the #1 QB?

clenz
May 24th, 2015, 04:26 PM
Spring ball is tough to judge for the offense at UNI.

The skill guys look really, really, good. They might be "left over" from the old system but it looks like they were made for this style offense. Between Savon Huggins and Darrian Miller the RB position is going to be pretty good. Not David Johnson good (obviously) but still pretty damn good. There is size and speed at WR, though it's not overly experienced in anyway. There are still probably holes at OL like last year, but this offensive system is a very quit hitting system so it should hide some of them with the quick passes.

The QB situation is, potentially, settled yet still so wide open that it's impossible to tell. Sawyer came out of spring ball as the #1, BUT Dalton Demos was allowed to do contact drills (not sure why, I never really looked) and there is a transfer from Illinois that "fits the system better" than Sawyer (whatever that means) and the #1 QB out of HS in the state of Illinois coming in this fall. If I had to guess the QB situation, at least going into fall camp, I would go

1. Sawyer Kollmorgen - rSr

2. Dalton Demos - rJr? - one of the top JUCO QBs, was #1 QB in Mizzou has a senior. Went to CCU out of HS then went JUCO..he redshirted at CCU so I guess he's a rJR though no idea honestly...he's listed as a Sophomore on the roster

3. Eli Dunne - rFr - looked really good in the spring game. With Demos being out it was Sawyer and Dunne for 95% of it and he looked just as good as Sawyer. 3 time All State in HS. Holds 8 schoosl records at a pass happy HS and is top 10 in almost every category in Iowa HS history)

4. Aaron Bailey - JR - transfer from Illinois. 4* out of HS. Don't know the situation with his redshirt being pulled and the strangeness that is Illinois football

5. Justin Black - JR - Good QB just seems to have fallen behind Sawyer and Dunne for QBs on campus

Seems like a large drop

6. Dewayne Collins - Chicago area player of the year. Collins passed for 1,370 yards, rushed for 1,843 (averaging nearly 10 yards per carry) and accounted for 42 touchdowns as a senior and was over 2k in both passing and rushing as a JR. At 6'2 190# I won't be shocked to see a redshirt (obvious) and to see him at WR or RB unless he is real impressive as a QB once he gets to campus

7. Jarvis Holley - JR (JUCO transfer. Almost no passing stats at JUCO but did have multiple games over 15 carries and over 90 yards...averaged like 7 or 8 YPC. I bet he changes positions and redshirts

A lot has been made of the change in offensive systems, but there is a lot returning and I don't see too much drop off (honestly, 98% of the offense can't be worse than last year).

I've got
1.NDSU (top 5)
2. ISUr (top 5)
3. UNI (15-20)
4. SDSU (15-20)
5A. WIU (20-30)
5B. YSU (20-30)
7. SIU (NR)
8. ISUb (NR)
9. MSU (NR)
10. USD (NR)

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 24th, 2015, 05:46 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That is a lot of QBs vying for the starting spot!

wow