PDA

View Full Version : 2015 Senior QBs

KPSUL
April 28th, 2015, 09:19 AM
The 2015 FCS season may feature the best group of Senior QBs ever. To start some conversation here’s my subjective, and highly vulnerable to criticism, list of the top nine in order. Don’t ask me why nine, just add to the list if you think it is warranted. I selected based on an assessment of how great a 2015 season they’ll have, not how good they’ll look to NFL teams in the 2016 draft.
John Robertson(NOVA), Tre Roberson (ISUr), Carson Wentz (NDSU), Vad Lee (JMU), Jacob Huesman(Chatty), Alex Ross (CCU), Sean Goldrich (UNH), Morgan Roberts (Yale), JoshWoodrum (Liberty)

The Cats
April 28th, 2015, 11:55 AM
John Robertson(NOVA),
Tre Roberson (ISUr),
Carson Wentz (NDSU),
Vad Lee (JMU),
Jacob Huesman(Chatty),
Alex Ross (CCU),
Sean Goldrich (UNH),
Morgan Roberts (Yale),
JoshWoodrum (Liberty)

Troy Mitchell (Western Carolina)

NoDak 4 Ever
April 28th, 2015, 12:06 PM
Vernon Ad......oh wait.

Sorry.

clenz
April 28th, 2015, 12:38 PM
If the new OC at UNI can let Sawyer be Sawyer and not some fall boy for **** play calling like the last OC he very well could be up there

slostang
April 28th, 2015, 12:47 PM
Chris Brown - Cal Poly
2014 junior year stats:
1,265 yards rushing (5.1 per carry) and 17 TDs
1,465 yards pass and 12 TDs
1 receiving TD.

Mattymc727
April 28th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Im not sold on Goldrich being a top 10 senior QB. However Im not familiar with the league enough to name a replacement.

centennial
April 28th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Only Carson Wentz and John Robertson have any chance at NFL careers unless someone has a huge year for 2016.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2016/QB

Both Carson and John are better than VA according to this.

KPSUL
April 28th, 2015, 06:45 PM
Im not sold on Goldrich being a top 10 senior QB. However Im not familiar with the league enough to name a replacement.

My biggest concern with Goldrich is that I've seen him throw high to receivers down the middle too often. Other than that he throws the ball hard and with a good spiral. He does a good job of taking what the defense gives him on the ground and I think he runs the offense well and with a lot of confidence. He doesn't have the mobility of John Robertson or even Tre Roberson and he doesn't have the strength and power of Wentz or Vad Lee. I wouldn't argue he belongs in the top 5, but I see him in the top 10. We better hope that's the case, UNH is likely to be relying on him heavily, especially early in the season.

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 28th, 2015, 07:00 PM
Only Carson Wentz and John Robertson have any chance at NFL careers unless someone has a huge year for 2016.

Carson has a ton of potential. Size, arm strength and intelligence.

IMO, he is better than most of the guys in front of him on that list.

Mattymc727
April 29th, 2015, 06:44 AM
My biggest concern with Goldrich is that I've seen him throw high to receivers down the middle too often. Other than that he throws the ball hard and with a good spiral. He does a good job of taking what the defense gives him on the ground and I think he runs the offense well and with a lot of confidence. He doesn't have the mobility of John Robertson or even Tre Roberson and he doesn't have the strength and power of Wentz or Vad Lee. I wouldn't argue he belongs in the top 5, but I see him in the top 10. We better hope that's the case, UNH is likely to be relying on him heavily, especially early in the season.

I agree with you. I think his knee injury hurt his mobility last year, and it definitely hurt him when he re-injured it in the semifinal. Hopefully he has a full year of health and can build on a decent career. However, out of all the QBs UNH has had the last 10 years, he has the least amount of talent IMO (Granted there were some superstars of years past).

tenNesseeCat
April 29th, 2015, 07:40 AM
The SoCon will have a trio of good senior QB's.

2014 stats:
2-Troy Mitchell - WCU - 12 games - 231/352 - 2,541 - 20 Rushing yrds - 555
3-Jacob Huesman - UTC - 14 games - 226/330 - 2,731 - 23 Rushing yrds - 1009
4-Michael Eubank - Sam - 11 games - 183/289 - 2,136 - 12 Rushing yrds - 214

I think Hannon will be good, just not sure if he is a senior.

MR. CHICKEN
April 29th, 2015, 07:41 AM

20700....ROBERTSON....IS NOT UH PRO QB.....xsmhx....BRAWK!

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 12:43 PM
John Robertson(NOVA),
Tre Roberson (ISUr),
Carson Wentz (NDSU),
Vad Lee (JMU),
Jacob Huesman(Chatty),
Alex Ross (CCU),
Sean Goldrich (UNH),
Morgan Roberts (Yale),
JoshWoodrum (Liberty)
Troy Mitchell (Western Carolina)

I would also add to this previous list the following as very good FCS QBs:

Dalyn Williams, Dartmouth
Chris Brown, Cal Poly
Kade Bell, Jacksonville
RJ Noel, Sacred Heart
Dakota Prukop, Montana State
Kevin Earl, South Dakota
Sawyer Kollmorgen, UNI
Michael Eubank, Samford

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 12:50 PM

Not true and don't make a website whose lead analyst is a school teacher and merely a draft fan like many others as the lead authority. I would not put much stock in CBS Sports right now. They don't have their cheat sheet of NFL grades from teams yet.

They just rate Carson and John as the top 2 right now because of stats and awards.

I have already begun evals and talked to scouts about next year and Vad Lee, Kevin Earl, and the guy from Alcorn State, among a couple others will get looks.

Never put that much stock into one website or draft websites in general. Hard for me to say that someone who is a teacher by day and consultant to CBS Sports would have any clue about anyone else besides the two you mentioned right now, and I know for a fact he doesn't even do their deep ratings so he probably doesn't even know who those guys are yet.

FCS QB class next year will be more than Carson Wentz and John Robertson. Remember this as well. NFL teams spend millions of dollars on this and have 100 times better resources than any media outlet.

You need to learn more about this process before you make definitive statements like you did.

I won't tell specifics because I'm not a reporter and I'll leave that to them but a FCS player failed the drug test for marijuana at the NFL Combine and there are 2 gay players (both play offense) that teams know for sure in this draft. If the writers for CBS were that plugged in they would be reporting this stuff and they aren't. So just remember that the media knows what the NFL wants them to know and there are other names and definitely things happening that you never see reported or won't see the media catch on to for a few months.

Just thought I would throw out some things that they aren't writing about and if they were as plugged in as some fans may think they would know these things. We have a long way until the 2016 draft. At this point last year the media had Harvard's Hodges in the 2nd round and now you see him much farther down the list. Hodges was never that high with most NFL teams. There could be a team who takes him in the 3rd or 4th round but that is certainly not the general value considered by the 32 teams. A lot will change!

NoDak 4 Ever
April 29th, 2015, 01:00 PM
Just thought I would Big Time you as I often do people on this board :)

FIFY

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 01:23 PM
FIFY

What I said is 100% fact so how is telling facts big timing someone? Just trying to educate those who may not know. I ignore a lot of stupid statements by people but with this thread about top FCS QBs for next year I felt that everyone should know the truth and that is there will be more than 2 FCS QBs on the NFL radar.

Just keep tabs on CBS ratings. They will begin to change a good bit in June or July because they will have cheat sheets of player lists from NFL teams.

When I don't know about an issue I ask rather than pretend I know and let someone make me look bad on it. Plus, I smiled at the end. People don't need to get so butt hurt and take things so personally. My boss is very hard on me and I like it that way. I want the blunt truth. People are too soft these days and go cry or pout when someone is very blunt and honest. :)

Such as these acronyms are killing how people speak. You can't just write out fixed it for you? LOL.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 29th, 2015, 01:39 PM
What I said is 100% fact so how is telling facts big timing someone? Just trying to educate those who may not know. I ignore a lot of stupid statements by people but with this thread about top FCS QBs for next year I felt that everyone should know the truth and that is there will be more than 2 FCS QBs on the NFL radar.

Just keep tabs on CBS ratings. They will begin to change a good bit in June or July because they will have cheat sheets of player lists from NFL teams.

When I don't know about an issue I ask rather than pretend I know and let someone make me look bad on it. Plus, I smiled at the end. People don't need to get so butt hurt and take things so personally. My boss is very hard on me and I like it that way. I want the blunt truth. People are too soft these days and go cry or pout when someone is very blunt and honest. :)

Such as these acronyms are killing how people speak. You can't just write out fixed it for you? LOL.

Good for you. You and, less frequently these days, Coulson and Wallace love to condescend to the rest of us on this board with all your professional this and big time that.

You regularly **** on other people's opinions. This is a fan board, not a wonky professional (or whatever you are) writer's circle jerk. If you want to interact, figure out how to do it in a friendly manner.

"You need to learn more about this process before you make definitive statements like you did"

Here's another acronym. GFY

clenz
April 29th, 2015, 01:44 PM
Good for you. You and, less frequently these days, Coulson and Wallace love to condescend to the rest of us on this board with all your professional this and big time that.

You regularly **** on other people's opinions. This is a fan board, not a wonky professional (or whatever you are) writer's circle jerk. If you want to interact, figure out how to do it in a friendly manner.

"You need to learn more about this process before you make definitive statements like you did"

The absolute amount of irony, and hypocrisy, in this post is...well....a lot

NoDak 4 Ever
April 29th, 2015, 01:46 PM
The absolute amount of irony, and hypocrisy, in this post is...well....a lot

I thought you had me on ignore?

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 01:51 PM

I'm sorry it comes off like that but just because this is a fan board doesn't mean that people should seriously make really crazy statements. Does it? I don't know much about accounting or the business side of colleges so if you work in that department I would hope I could ask you and you would educate me.

Most people like to be educated or learn about a subject. Is there something wrong with that?

centennial
April 29th, 2015, 02:48 PM
Not true and don't make a website whose lead analyst is a school teacher and merely a draft fan like many others as the lead authority. I would not put much stock in CBS Sports right now. They don't have their cheat sheet of NFL grades from teams yet.

They just rate Carson and John as the top 2 right now because of stats and awards.

I have already begun evals and talked to scouts about next year and Vad Lee, Kevin Earl, and the guy from Alcorn State, among a couple others will get looks.

Never put that much stock into one website or draft websites in general. Hard for me to say that someone who is a teacher by day and consultant to CBS Sports would have any clue about anyone else besides the two you mentioned right now, and I know for a fact he doesn't even do their deep ratings so he probably doesn't even know who those guys are yet.

FCS QB class next year will be more than Carson Wentz and John Robertson. Remember this as well. NFL teams spend millions of dollars on this and have 100 times better resources than any media outlet.

You need to learn more about this process before you make definitive statements like you did.

I won't tell specifics because I'm not a reporter and I'll leave that to them but a FCS player failed the drug test for marijuana at the NFL Combine and there are 2 gay players (both play offense) that teams know for sure in this draft. If the writers for CBS were that plugged in they would be reporting this stuff and they aren't. So just remember that the media knows what the NFL wants them to know and there are other names and definitely things happening that you never see reported or won't see the media catch on to for a few months.

Just thought I would throw out some things that they aren't writing about and if they were as plugged in as some fans may think they would know these things. We have a long way until the 2016 draft. At this point last year the media had Harvard's Hodges in the 2nd round and now you see him much farther down the list. Hodges was never that high with most NFL teams. There could be a team who takes him in the 3rd or 4th round but that is certainly not the general value considered by the 32 teams. A lot will change!
I did make a blanket statement, I shouldn't have done that. It's also true that others will get looks. Ultimately, this is a fan site, people have opinions. You are a pro talent evaluator/ writer and obviously I am not. There is no need for the tone you took.

Catatonic
April 29th, 2015, 02:51 PM
I did make a blanket statement, I shouldn't have done that. It's also true that others will get looks. Ultimately, this is a fan site, people have opinions. You are a pro talent evaluator/ writer and obviously I am not. There is no need for the tone you took.

Word

Go Green
April 29th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Dalyn Williams, Dartmouth

Best QB Dartmouth has had since Jay Fiedler.

lionsrking2
April 29th, 2015, 04:09 PM
You are a pro talent evaluator/ writer and obviously I am not. There is no need for the tone you took.

He's just like anybody else with an opinion - right, wrong or indifferent. He's not getting paid to call shots in anyone's draft room.

KPSUL
April 29th, 2015, 04:12 PM
20700....ROBERTSON....IS NOT UH PRO QB.....xsmhx....BRAWK!

Your right on target as usual Birdman.

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 04:17 PM
He's just like anybody else with an opinion - right, wrong or indifferent. He's not getting paid to call shots in anyone's draft room.

You are right. I don't get paid to make the decisions. I only get paid by the NFL to provide to those who do make them. I don't want to be the final say. I like being the information gatherer.

For example, I'm not as high as on Bryan Bennett but he has upside and this is a bad QB class so he could get drafted. He's got an arm and is athletic. I think he's more of a practice squad player or #3 QB, at best. There are some who think he is better than that. Only time will tell who is right.

I think you can even agree with me though that Bennett needs to work on turnovers. He fumbles sometimes and throws picks he should not. If he could control the turnovers, I would have a much higher grade on him. But there are some coaches who feel like they can easily correct that and give him more points for his upside. Everybody from the best of minds to even the least informed have strong opinions on players lol.

It's just that some people obviously have a better eye than others. Like a Howard fan was arguing with me about the looks their QB would get and how he could make it in the NFL but I told them I didn't see the kid getting more than a tryout, if that. He already signed in the CFL because he had no real NFL interest. That's where I always differed from fans, even as a kid, because I would see a player on my favorite pro team or even a college team I liked and I would try to look at the player objectively. Being objective and experience, to me, are the sole difference in the approach and way things are looked at between a fan and a professional.

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 04:19 PM
Best QB Dartmouth has had since Jay Fiedler.

I agree. Dalyn may or may not turn out to be a pro QB but he certainly is a very good Ivy League player. He is one of my top 10 QBs in FCS for sure.

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 04:23 PM

I am sorry if it came off wrong. I don't mean to come off in the wrong tone. I wasn't mad or talking junk about you to myself when I read it. I just noticed you made a statement that wasn't true and wanted to correct it. There are fans of some of those other QBs who I am sure would have chimed in and defended their chances. I remember how NDSU fans talked about how Brock Jensen would be a pro and he could not make it in the NFL. Being a good college QB and playing in the NFL are two totally different things.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 29th, 2015, 04:58 PM
I am sorry if it came off wrong. I don't mean to come off in the wrong tone. I wasn't mad or talking junk about you to myself when I read it. I just noticed you made a statement that wasn't true and wanted to correct it. There are fans of some of those other QBs who I am sure would have chimed in and defended their chances. I remember how NDSU fans talked about how Brock Jensen would be a pro and he could not make it in the NFL. Being a good college QB and playing in the NFL are two totally different things.

#19 there is getting paid, that is the definition of a professional. Of course, an elitist like you only thinks the NFL is pro.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDs0MQ0UIAAGrl1.jpg:large

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 05:37 PM
#19 there is getting paid, that is the definition of a professional. Of course, an elitist like you only thinks the NFL is pro.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CDs0MQ0UIAAGrl1.jpg:large

i always thought he would be in a secondary league. I'm just saying many NDSU fans would say he is a NFL guy with a big arm. No shame in playing in the CFL or AFL or just being a camp arm for the NFL but there is a difference in making the NFL and just getting a shot. I liked Jensen a lot but simply said he is more of a secondary league player.

It's not that other leagues can help it but to be honest the beating players take is not worth the money unless it is NFL money or CFL or AFL for a couple years to develop and get back to the NFL.

I still say Jensen is one of the best FCS QBs of all-time but that doesn't make him NFL caliber. Lots of All Americans at this level don't have NFL ability and that is okay.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 29th, 2015, 05:45 PM
I think almost every NDSU fan has more realistic expectations than you give us credit.

thebootfitter
April 29th, 2015, 06:07 PM
Just wanted to chime in here for some perspective. I'm generally regarded as a pretty level-headed reasonable guy. Within the context of this thread, I certainly didn't find anything said by SmallCollegeFBFan to be condescending in any way. Even if he doesn't have the credentials he claims, his comments in this thread seemed appropriate to me. For whatever that's worth.

NoDak 4 Ever
April 29th, 2015, 06:18 PM
Just wanted to chime in here for some perspective. I'm generally regarded as a pretty level-headed reasonable guy. Within the context of this thread, I certainly didn't find anything said by SmallCollegeFBFan to be condescending in any way. Even if he doesn't have the credentials he claims, his comments in this thread seemed appropriate to me. For whatever that's worth.
It's a long standing pattern. I got repped by others who have been on the receiving end of it.

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 06:32 PM
I think almost every NDSU fan has more realistic expectations than you give us credit.

You had a few crazies LOL. Not saying most and I know most weren't on here saying that but you did have some. Just like when App had some people who thought Armanti Edwards would be a star QB in the NFL. Or when Georgia Southerns thought Adrian Peterson would be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. There are always a few people who have no perception on where players will go. I'm sure there is someone at Delaware who thinks Nick Boyle is going 2nd round and someone from NDSU who is thinking Crockett and Emanuel both will go 3rd round but I know that's not the majority.

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 06:34 PM
It's a long standing pattern. I got repped by others who have been on the receiving end of it.

I don't think the 2 or 3 of you who have had people do that to you need to take this stuff seriously. Take it as someone who knows a little bit about the subject stating facts and correcting a myth out there. Don't it take serious my friend. If I'm ever in Fargo consider the first round on me. :)

FargoBison
April 29th, 2015, 06:49 PM
We do have some crazy fans, I remember a few years ago some people took your opinions of Marcus Williams a bit personally and you were right on the money about Marcus and the draft.

Not sure why people get so worked up, SCFF does good work and is a valuable source of info here.

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 06:56 PM
We do have some crazy fans, I remember a few years ago some people took your opinions of Marcus Williams a bit personally and you were right on the money about Marcus and the draft.

Not sure why people get so worked up, SCFF does good work and is a valuable source of info here.

I appreciate the kind words! App fans got mad at me because I said I was not as high on LB DJ Smith. He went 6th round but has always bounced around and been a fringe roster player. It's just how it is.

I don't want anyone to take anything personally. I'm just giving an honest film evaluation and what I'm hearing around the NFL.

clenz
April 29th, 2015, 07:28 PM
I don't think the 2 or 3 of you who have had people do that to you need to take this stuff seriously. Take it as someone who knows a little bit about the subject stating facts and correcting a myth out there. Don't it take serious my friend. If I'm ever in Fargo consider the first round on me. :)

I wouldn't worry about who reps him on what.

I got a decent number of reps when I called him out on douching up everything...more than a few from NDSU fans.

SDFS
April 29th, 2015, 07:31 PM

wow - relax

NoDak 4 Ever
April 29th, 2015, 07:31 PM

I got a decent number of reps when I called him out on douching up everything...more than a few from NDSU fans.

I see you support him ****ting on centennial's comment. It seemed to put him off a bit.

I'm very VERY sorry that I mentioned how UNI isn't nearly as dominant anymore. That seemed to hurt your feelings a bit.

SDFS
April 29th, 2015, 07:34 PM

I agree - nothing he said was incorrect.

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 07:46 PM

I was not worried one bit. When you make a living off watching football, it's hard not to sleep well. LOL

As for the rep points, I figured he was just saying that because for so many people giving him rep points I did not get one single negative rep point but did get a positive one. Most people kept their mouths shut because even those who hated on me for Marcus Williams and others learned that I don't normally speak up about a player unless I know something.

Go back and look when I said a couple years ago that Wentz would be better than Jensen and that NDSU would have won the NC without Jensen because Wentz is likely to be the real deal. A few people got on me saying Jensen was key to the run. The defense was key and you had a better QB on the bench. No offense to Brock because he was good but now people see the better player was on the bench, purely because Jensen was older.

Mark this day down and remember that I'm calling that Wentz will end up at the Senior Bowl or Shrine. As long as he stays away from some of the people who hurt Billy Turner he will be fine. There is a media outlet (whose name I will not call out) who got to be good buddies with Turner and they are basically just a cop who is working with an agent and trying to get into marketing and he has gotten in the ears of your players. I don't know how he got in at NDSU but he has and NDSU players have not been as good in the pros as they should be. He was buddies with Williams, Turner (who struggled as a rookie), and I hear he is already talking to Haeg and Wentz. Hopefully Wentz listens to the right people because he is a potential top 100 pick if he does.

IBleedYellow
April 29th, 2015, 10:35 PM
http://i.imgur.com/vZ4e0uY.gif

Bisonoline
April 29th, 2015, 10:44 PM
I was not worried one bit. When you make a living off watching football, it's hard not to sleep well. LOL

As for the rep points, I figured he was just saying that because for so many people giving him rep points I did not get one single negative rep point but did get a positive one. Most people kept their mouths shut because even those who hated on me for Marcus Williams and others learned that I don't normally speak up about a player unless I know something.

Go back and look when I said a couple years ago that Wentz would be better than Jensen and that NDSU would have won the NC without Jensen because Wentz is likely to be the real deal. A few people got on me saying Jensen was key to the run. The defense was key and you had a better QB on the bench. No offense to Brock because he was good but now people see the better player was on the bench, purely because Jensen was older.

Mark this day down and remember that I'm calling that Wentz will end up at the Senior Bowl or Shrine. As long as he stays away from some of the people who hurt Billy Turner he will be fine. There is a media outlet (whose name I will not call out) who got to be good buddies with Turner and they are basically just a cop who is working with an agent and trying to get into marketing and he has gotten in the ears of your players. I don't know how he got in at NDSU but he has and NDSU players have not been as good in the pros as they should be. He was buddies with Williams, Turner (who struggled as a rookie), and I hear he is already talking to Haeg and Wentz. Hopefully Wentz listens to the right people because he is a potential top 100 pick if he does.

Tell me how these people hurt Turner. Also how did these people affect Williams in to not being as good as they should?

Bisonoline
April 29th, 2015, 10:50 PM
i always thought he would be in a secondary league. I'm just saying many NDSU fans would say he is a NFL guy with a big arm. No shame in playing in the CFL or AFL or just being a camp arm for the NFL but there is a difference in making the NFL and just getting a shot. I liked Jensen a lot but simply said he is more of a secondary league player.

It's not that other leagues can help it but to be honest the beating players take is not worth the money unless it is NFL money or CFL or AFL for a couple years to develop and get back to the NFL.

I still say Jensen is one of the best FCS QBs of all-time but that doesn't make him NFL caliber. Lots of All Americans at this level don't have NFL ability and that is okay.

Nail hit on head.

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 11:26 PM
Tell me how these people hurt Turner. Also how did these people affect Williams in to not being as good as they should?

Well answer this question for me. Should someone who is say a teacher, cop, or any other profession who does not work in the football business but starts a website and wants players to promote it and then pushes players to certain agents be a mentor for players? Do you have your players taking advice from a fan who knows nothing about the business and even says he works for an all-star game but can't prove it? There are people like that who just want to "help" and "mentor" players. People like that don't know the business and yet they are trying to be a mentor.

They were getting in his ear telling him incorrect information and obviously he was not as focused once drafted. I heard from my friends in Miami that Turner was had some people in his ear who should not be. I was told that they are hitting up all the small school and some off the radar players from big schools trying to push them to do interviews to help promote their site. Then, they are off insinuating that because those people did interviews for them that it helped them get to the NFL. I hope your players are careful and only listen to their coaches and those who their coaches would endorse that they listen to. I see this issue coming up more and more where fans start websites and want to be mentors to players and they know nothing about how this process works.

Be careful what you hear people say on social media. Lots of media make it appear as though they have a hand in a player making it and they don't. They just interview every player who reaches out to get noticed and they push everybody so when 2 players they push make it, they pretend they had something to do with it. In reality, they had nothing to do with it because they pushed 100 others who did not make it.

I assume they were in the ear of Williams because he was projected to be a high pick by CBS as a junior, which I know enough about CBS that they do that a lot. Williams would talk to them sometimes on social media and then it seemed he put them in touch with Turner. CBS will pick players with a lot of production and gradually drop them because they know others will paper scout and just copy. That's why I got on the other person about making CBS seem like an authority.

Look at Ali Marpet. He was fully on the NFL radar this time last year but CBS did not even have him listed on their website. Same could be said for others. About the only players who I expect to be drafted in the top 5 rounds this year who was not on the NFL radar this time last year was Quentin Rollins. Rollins was a basketball player so that is why. Everyone else had their name on the NFL lists, unless some other player comes out of nowhere like the Miami basketball player or someone else.

Bisonoline
April 29th, 2015, 11:59 PM
Well answer this question for me. Should someone who is say a teacher, cop, or any other profession who does not work in the football business but starts a website and wants players to promote it and then pushes players to certain agents be a mentor for players? Do you have your players taking advice from a fan who knows nothing about the business and even says he works for an all-star game but can't prove it? There are people like that who just want to "help" and "mentor" players. People like that don't know the business and yet they are trying to be a mentor.

They were getting in his ear telling him incorrect information and obviously he was not as focused once drafted. I heard from my friends in Miami that Turner was had some people in his ear who should not be. I was told that they are hitting up all the small school and some off the radar players from big schools trying to push them to do interviews to help promote their site. Then, they are off insinuating that because those people did interviews for them that it helped them get to the NFL. I hope your players are careful and only listen to their coaches and those who their coaches would endorse that they listen to. I see this issue coming up more and more where fans start websites and want to be mentors to players and they know nothing about how this process works.

Be careful what you hear people say on social media. Lots of media make it appear as though they have a hand in a player making it and they don't. They just interview every player who reaches out to get noticed and they push everybody so when 2 players they push make it, they pretend they had something to do with it. In reality, they had nothing to do with it because they pushed 100 others who did not make it.

I assume they were in the ear of Williams because he was projected to be a high pick by CBS as a junior, which I know enough about CBS that they do that a lot. Williams would talk to them sometimes on social media and then it seemed he put them in touch with Turner. CBS will pick players with a lot of production and gradually drop them because they know others will paper scout and just copy. That's why I got on the other person about making CBS seem like an authority.

Look at Ali Marpet. He was fully on the NFL radar this time last year but CBS did not even have him listed on their website. Same could be said for others. About the only players who I expect to be drafted in the top 5 rounds this year who was not on the NFL radar this time last year was Quentin Rollins. Rollins was a basketball player so that is why. Everyone else had their name on the NFL lists, unless some other player comes out of nowhere like the Miami basketball player or someone else.

Nobody I now thinks those sites have anything to do with anyone get drafted. As a matter of fact I have no clue who or which sites you are talking about. Turners lack of playing time was had nothing to do with outside sources. It had everything to do with injuries. As far as Williams is concerned I never thought he would be drafted after his senior year performance. He was cut from his first team and got picked up by the jets for their practice squad. The only reason they gave him a look was because of the abysmal performance of their D. Right place right time and he took advantage of the opportunity. But he still has a lot of work to do to stick to a team.

As far as people getting in their ear I am sure that's pretty common place from what I hear. You just have to have good judgement on who and what to listen to. Since they are paying their agent I would think that would be the go to people on that type of advice. Plus they can always call present and former coaches for advice and Turners dad or uncle played in the NFL from what I understand.

Anyone that believes that some hack on a social media site improved a players chances of making it in the NFL has to be an idiot.

smallcollegefbfan
April 30th, 2015, 12:21 AM
Nobody I now thinks those sites have anything to do with anyone get drafted. As a matter of fact I have no clue who or which sites you are talking about. Turners lack of playing time was had nothing to do with outside sources. It had everything to do with injuries. As far as Williams is concerned I never thought he would be drafted after his senior year performance. He was cut from his first team and got picked up by the jets for their practice squad. The only reason they gave him a look was because of the abysmal performance of their D. Right place right time and he took advantage of the opportunity. But he still has a lot of work to do to stick to a team.

As far as people getting in their ear I am sure that's pretty common place from what I hear. You just have to have good judgement on who and what to listen to. Since they are paying their agent I would think that would be the go to people on that type of advice. Plus they can always call present and former coaches for advice and Turners dad or uncle played in the NFL from what I understand.

Anyone that believes that some hack on a social media site improved a players chances of making it in the NFL has to be an idiot.

I know he had turf toe but people in Miami were not as impressed with him as they expected. They said he had a lot to learn.

There are idiots out there. There are players who think they need to interview with everyone on social media and have their name passed around by people to NFL teams. I understand they want it badly but some people just aren't NFL players. There is nothing wrong with that but they don't realize they aren't good enough and they waste their time. I hear players all the time say they need the NFL because they have kids to feed. I don't want to sound mean because I want them to feed their families but they need to have a fallback plan and many do not.

You would be surprised at the players who listen to these "mentors" for when they pick their agent and the agent is not going to tell them not to listen to the "mentor" because that person may have helped them get the player.

Williams was not as good as a senior but his stock as a junior was honestly not as high as the media thought. He and Turner were considered priority free agents heading into the season and Turner improved his stock from PFA to 3rd or 4th round from most people I talked to.

Catatonic
April 30th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Patiently waiting for a "2016 FCS QB's" thread so those of us from the Southland can participate in the conversation.

smallcollegefbfan
April 30th, 2015, 08:37 AM
Patiently waiting for a "2016 FCS QB's" thread so those of us from the Southland can participate in the conversation.

I'm hoping you are referring to SFA's Conque. If he can get it together with his down the field throwing he has the physical tools to be a nightmare for the league and in the FCS playoffs. I had the pleasure of watching about 5 of his tapes and he could be a breakout player on the national scene in 2015.

BEAR
April 30th, 2015, 09:26 AM
I'm hoping you are referring to SFA's Conque. If he can get it together with his down the field throwing he has the physical tools to be a nightmare for the league and in the FCS playoffs. I had the pleasure of watching about 5 of his tapes and he could be a breakout player on the national scene in 2015.

I watched Conque grow up in Conway. Great kid. Big kid too! His brother is now A.D. at U.A.L.R. But watch out for Hayden Hildebrand of UCA. Guy puts the passes on a rope. He's been behind two senior QBs but I believe this year he will show his talent backing up Reed. Next year he will shine! (Hard to beat out an SEC QB with 2 years experience in the FBS). UCA usually has good QBs. Now if we could get a complete team to back them up! xrolleyesx

clenz
April 30th, 2015, 09:51 AM
You've watched way more film than I on Conque so I'm deferring to you but I do have to ask about what I saw in the UNIDome in the playoffs last season.

Was UNI's defense (and entire team in general) just at that much of a higher level than SFA? I know it was a very small sample size but I was not impressed with Conque, or Gus Johnson, last year. The entire SFA roster just looked small and slow compared to UNI - or any MVFC team I saw...even USD. Is that the standard build of SLC teams? Did Conque just have a career worst game?

Catatonic
April 30th, 2015, 10:10 AM

Conque may well be the QB with the most potential to possibly make it to the next level. Ironically, he may not be the best QB in the conference though.

There are three All SLC HM QB's who return: Conque (SFA), Jared Johnson (SHSU) and Parker McKenzie (ACU). Conque's stats were not as impressive as McKenzie's and he did not have the on the field leadership ability of Johnson, at leas last year. Conque may or may not have a break out year in 2015. Much depends on SFA's offensive line. McKenzie does not have the physical tools to make it at the next level. He' more of a system QB who relies more on his ability to make good decisions quickly than raw talent. Johnson has shown his ability as an effective team leader. Also, UIW lost their starting QB for the season in the first game last year. I think he will be back. I don' know much about transfers or first time starters at other schools.

smallcollegefbfan
April 30th, 2015, 11:59 AM
You've watched way more film than I on Conque so I'm deferring to you but I do have to ask about what I saw in the UNIDome in the playoffs last season.

Was UNI's defense (and entire team in general) just at that much of a higher level than SFA? I know it was a very small sample size but I was not impressed with Conque, or Gus Johnson, last year. The entire SFA roster just looked small and slow compared to UNI - or any MVFC team I saw...even USD. Is that the standard build of SLC teams? Did Conque just have a career worst game?

Watch Conque against Kansas State. He had some wow plays and did against others, too. I can see why you said that about Conque and it was one of his worst games. The thing with him is upside. You see some big runs, very nice throws, and then he is big and mobile. The potential is there. While I would not rank him a top 15 FCS QB right now, he has a shot to be top 5. There is a lot of potential there. He is working with a QB guru this off-season and his dad is the coach. Once they have some better talent at WR I think you will see Conque do just fine. The kid is grounded, from what I'm told, and he should have a better year this season. I'm also looking two years down the line because he is just a rising junior.

smallcollegefbfan
April 30th, 2015, 12:00 PM
Conque may well be the QB with the most potential to possibly make it to the next level. Ironically, he may not be the best QB in the conference though.

There are three All SLC HM QB's who return: Conque (SFA), Jared Johnson (SHSU) and Parker McKenzie (ACU). Conque's stats were not as impressive as McKenzie's and he did not have the on the field leadership ability of Johnson, at leas last year. Conque may or may not have a break out year in 2015. Much depends on SFA's offensive line. McKenzie does not have the physical tools to make it at the next level. He' more of a system QB who relies more on his ability to make good decisions quickly than raw talent. Johnson has shown his ability as an effective team leader. Also, UIW lost their starting QB for the season in the first game last year. I think he will be back. I don' know much about transfers or first time starters at other schools.

I would only put Conque on the 2nd team preseason All-SLC list but I'm just saying when you consider the upside and flashes he displayed, SFA should be poised for a big year in 2016. Conque has the potential to do it. But you know what I say about potential, it just means you haven't done it yet. SFA needs speed at WR though. Too many times were a big pass completed but their WR was just too slow to get in the endzone.