View Full Version : Western Illinois LB to donate marrow for infant's transplant

ST_Lawson
April 28th, 2015, 09:13 AM
Seems like more often than not, when we hear about stuff that players are doing in the offseason, it's getting arrested or getting into fights or something.
So, here's a little something from the other end of the spectrum: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12777417/jordan-veloz-western-illinois-leathernecks-give-bone-marrow-transplant

Bison Fan in NW MN
April 28th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Thanks for posting this story!

Hats off to the WIU player.

It is nice to see good stories like this instead of criminal activity crap.

bonarae
April 28th, 2015, 07:07 PM
Thank you too. In the time between the last Ivy game of the season and the announcement of the class lists, I often tend to post about other sports.

Bisonator
April 28th, 2015, 08:40 PM
Seems like more often than not, when we hear about stuff that players are doing in the offseason, it's getting arrested or getting into fights or something.
So, here's a little something from the other end of the spectrum: http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12777417/jordan-veloz-western-illinois-leathernecks-give-bone-marrow-transplant

God bless him.

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 01:54 PM

Love seeing stories like this. For every two or three arrests you see there are hundreds of kind acts like this done by athletes. I wish the media would talk about all the charity and good things players do more than they talk about players breaking laws.

Thanks!!! Hat's off to this kid and the many other good stories like this that are never told!

ST_Lawson
April 29th, 2015, 02:04 PM
Love seeing stories like this. For every two or three arrests you see there are hundreds of kind acts like this done by athletes. I wish the media would talk about all the charity and good things players do more than they talk about players breaking laws.

Thanks!!! Hat's off to this kid and the many other good stories like this that are never told!

Indeed....seems like "big time" football and basketball gets all the attention and that an inordinate amount of unpleasant behavior happens in those areas, but if you look at all the other athletes in other sports as well as the football and basketball athletes at smaller schools....there's a lot of great "feel good" stories there of kids doing really great things. Kids volunteering to help out schools, build houses, improve their communities. If I had to guess, I'd say the majority of student athletes in the NCAA would, if given this type of choice, step up and help possibly save someones life.

smallcollegefbfan
April 29th, 2015, 02:15 PM
Indeed....seems like "big time" football and basketball gets all the attention and that an inordinate amount of unpleasant behavior happens in those areas, but if you look at all the other athletes in other sports as well as the football and basketball athletes at smaller schools....there's a lot of great "feel good" stories there of kids doing really great things. Kids volunteering to help out schools, build houses, improve their communities. If I had to guess, I'd say the majority of student athletes in the NCAA would, if given this type of choice, step up and help possibly save someones life.

Yes sir! Gave you rep points for that! Love hearing those stories!

Go...gate
April 30th, 2015, 08:55 PM
What a fine young man.

ST_Lawson
March 25th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Just a bit of a follow-up to this thread from last year. We had another player found to be a match for bone marrow donation, this time it's Brody Carls, a sophomore O-lineman who was a match for an older gentleman suffering from Leukemia. More info here: http://goleathernecks.com/news/2016/3/25/football-brody-carls-answers-the-call-to-be-the-match.aspx

HailSzczur
March 25th, 2016, 01:46 PM
Fantastic news! Good for WIU for getting involved with such a fantastic cause

Laker
March 25th, 2016, 03:48 PM
You usually hear bad news- nice to read good news. Thanks for the update.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 26th, 2016, 01:28 PM
Yeah, these are always cool stories to see. Whenever a school joins up with what Andy Talley has going it's gonna be good for them and everyone else at least in the way of getting some good news to read about.

Go...gate
March 27th, 2016, 12:24 AM
Another great story. Thanks for sharing!

Bisonator
March 27th, 2016, 12:17 PM
Great news indeed! I wish him and the transplant recipient well!

BisonBacker
March 31st, 2016, 04:51 PM
Awesome Story.