PDA

View Full Version : Montana State in the playoffs at 7-4...why?

Jacks76
November 19th, 2006, 04:34 PM
Especially since Portland State had the same record and also beat a Division I-A team (though they didn't lose to a Division II team like Montana State did).

Paul

SeattleGriz
November 19th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I would guess it had to do with the fact that MSU shut out PSU and that is why they got the nod instead of PSU.

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Especially since Portland State had the same record and also beat a Division I-A team (though they didn't lose to a Division II team like Montana State did).

Paul
only thing i can figure is the head to head matchup between PSU and MSU was the deciding factor

CopperCat
November 19th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Why whine about it, seriously? I would like to have won at UM yesterday, but I'm not going to whine. And even if we weren't in the playoffs, I'd put the smackmouth away and watch the playoffs anyway. Come on! The Big Sky got two bids! Be happy for others too.

putter
November 19th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I would have to think the committee looked at how the Cats finished. They were on a 6 game win streak and their last loss was to the #2 team on the road.

grizband
November 19th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Listening on CS Waves, the commissioner said these two teams were close, and the deciding factor basically came down to the head to head match up. Either team could have been selected, but I am just glad the 'Sky got two bids this year.

siugrad99
November 19th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Grizband... you've got to PM me and let me know where you got your Avatar :)

blur2005
November 19th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Clearly, the difference was Montana State beating Portland State.

igo4uni
November 19th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Listening on CS Waves, the commissioner said these two teams were close, and the deciding factor basically came down to the head to head match up. Either team could have been selected, but I am just glad the 'Sky got two bids this year.

I didn't hear CS Waves. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

Any word on UNI and why they were not selected??

Just curious.

grizbeer
November 19th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I think they MSU played down the stretch, plus a nice big hosting guarantee probably helped - remember beside the 4 seeds home game is set by bid, not by rank.

Now that MSU is in I think they will surprise some people - Kramer teams always seem to play well in the big games. I hope Rolovich is able to play on Saturday, not sure how bad he is injured, and Jefferson will want to post some big playoff numbers.

Now if the Cats can find a punter...

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 06:54 PM
Now if the Cats can find a punter...
i thought one of the cheerleaders was thier punter??:p

Seriously though, i agree with you totally!! Kramer, while i cant stand his attitude, gets his players ready for big games.......and they have a decent offence, a hard hitting defence......and a pretty solid tackling special teams. You were right on about that punting method they use, its is pretty ineffective for the most part and may be thier biggest single weakness, but they are a team that could stirr up the playoffs pretty big!! They are not a team i would want my team to overlook!!

Jacks76
November 19th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Well, go Griz.

Paul

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2006, 08:38 PM
I would have to think the committee looked at how the Cats finished. They were on a 6 game win streak and their last loss was to the #2 team on the road.

putter, I think that is it in a nutshell. And conversely, it's what hurt UNI's chances. I think PSU was NOT helped by sitting home on Saturday, without a final chance to impress the panel.

crunifan
November 19th, 2006, 08:40 PM
I think they MSU played down the stretch, plus a nice big hosting guarantee probably helped - remember beside the 4 seeds home game is set by bid, not by rank.

Is that a joke?

Montana State played Sacramento State, Idaho State, Weber State, Northern Colorado and Montana "down the strech." And they lost to the only good team on that list.

The Bobcats do not deserve to be in the playoffs or hosting a game in them.

89Hen
November 19th, 2006, 08:44 PM
"Montana State in the playoffs at 7-4...why?"

Because it's one game better than the last two times they made the playoffs. MSU's last three trips to the playoffs are on a combined record of 21-14. :eyebrow:

catbob
November 19th, 2006, 08:46 PM
Is that a joke?

Montana State played Sacramento State, Idaho State, Weber State, Northern Colorado and Montana "down the strech." And they lost to the only good team on that list.

The Bobcats do not deserve to be in the playoffs or hosting a game in them.

6-1 in our last 7 games with 2 quality wins (NAU & PSU) We are playing good football right now, good enough to host a playoff game I don't know, but we are currently playing better football than a lot of bubble teams right now, including UNI.

mschn99
November 19th, 2006, 08:53 PM
6-1 in our last 7 games with 2 quality wins (NAU & PSU) We are playing good football right now, good enough to host a playoff game I don't know, but we are currently playing better football than a lot of bubble teams right now, including UNI.
ill give you PSU as a quality game, but NAU is nothing of the sorts!! U guys played the Griz tough and ill give you guys all the credit in the world for having just as much right to the playoffs as most of the other at large teams, but NAU is not a quality win in comparison to some of the other teams that some of the "bubble" teams played

catbob
November 19th, 2006, 08:57 PM
NAU was top 25 at the time, and only lost to PSU MSU and UM outside of their IA games.

GreenDay17
November 19th, 2006, 09:00 PM
but we are currently playing better football than a lot of bubble teams right now, including UNI.

On defense. On offense MSU is anemic (just like the rest of the Big Sky with the exception of NAU - if NAU had a defense even remotely like they are accustomed to they would have walked through the conference). I swear it is like this conference has totally forgotten how to use formations to create match-ups, how to attack with a truly diversified offense, and definitely how to throw the football. It turns my stomach to watch the offenses in the BSC.

But hey, hope what they say is true - "Defense wins championships!"

Peems
November 19th, 2006, 09:13 PM
On defense. On offense MSU is anemic (just like the rest of the Big Sky with the exception of NAU - if NAU had a defense even remotely like they are accustomed to they would have walked through the conference). I swear it is like this conference has totally forgotten how to use formations to create match-ups, how to attack with a truly diversified offense, and definitely how to throw the football. It turns my stomach to watch the offenses in the BSC.

But hey, hope what they say is true - "Defense wins championships!"

NAU had an offense when they played at the walkup skydome or against Northern Colorado.

crunifan
November 19th, 2006, 09:19 PM

We just beat the #6 team in the country (yesterday), what the hell have the Bobcats done?

Don't give me the line you are currently playing better football. The bottom line is you are currently playing easier teams.

usdtoreros
November 19th, 2006, 09:19 PM
As a USD fan, of course I am biased and think USD should've made it. I also think that UNI should've been in over MSU. I think this year, it came down to one final selection between a 7-4 team or USD/Monmouth and MSU was the lucky team. The MSU loss that really bothers me is 45-0 to UC Davis. I know USD hasn't played them yet, but I am fairly certain they will play a closer game than that.

crunifan
November 19th, 2006, 09:21 PM
As a USD fan, of course I am biased and think USD should've made it. I also think that NIU should've been in over MSU. I think this year, it came down to one final selection between a 7-4 team or USD/Monmouth and MSU was the lucky team. The MSU loss that really bothers me is 45-0 to UC Davis. I know USD hasn't played them yet, but I am fairly certain they will play a closer game than that.

First of, we are UNI not NIU.

But I agree with everything you said. San Diego deserved to be in before both UNI and Montana State. Montana State shouldn't have even been considered.

GreenDay17
November 19th, 2006, 09:25 PM
NAU had an offense when they played at the walkup skydome or against Northern Colorado.

Everyone had an offense against Northern Colorado (no slam to the Bears). Everyone except MSU who had a whopping 294 yards and 13 points.

Actually NAU had 3 road games vs the BSC where they had 436, 541, and 191 (vs UM) yards < 389 ave > and home games with 441, 395, 381, and 457 < 418 ave >. Pretty similar numbers overall.
**These NAU stats do not include the UNC game**

BelgradeBobcat
November 19th, 2006, 09:28 PM
I would guess our win over Colorado put us ahead of any other 7-4 team. Portland State also had the D-1A win over New Mexico, but as was mentioned, Montana State beat them.

Ronbo
November 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM
I think it might have come down to the win over Colorado vs. UNI. Both teams were good down the stretch. MSU 6-1 in their last 7. Might have been some pressure to have 2 teams from the BSC too. Plus the Big Sky Commish is a Cat. Hmmm..... interesting.

Chi Panther
November 19th, 2006, 09:40 PM
MSU or UNI are not good enuf to win it this year anyway.....I'll be able to enjoy the playoffs this year without any emotional attachment.....:)

usdtoreros
November 19th, 2006, 09:41 PM

But I agree with everything you said. San Diego deserved to be in before both UNI and Montana State. Montana State shouldn't have even been considered.

Sorry about that. Didn't think it looked right, but was too busy watching the Chargers game to check.

dbackjon
November 19th, 2006, 10:26 PM

Uh, NO. San Diego did not deserve ANY playoff consideration. NAU deserved to be in the playoffs more than San Diego.

putter
November 19th, 2006, 10:47 PM
We just beat the #6 team in the country (yesterday), what the hell have the Bobcats done?

Don't give me the line you are currently playing better football. The bottom line is you are currently playing easier teams.

You said this to the MSU fans and then you say later that San Diego deserved to be in?: smh : Get your story straight..

lucchesicourt
November 20th, 2006, 04:35 AM
If USD loses to UCD 45-0 will USD fans then admit they did not belong in the playoffs?

Reed Rothchild
November 20th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Yeah we didn't get it done, but I am still kind of angry. I don't understand how UNI gets penalized because it plays in a tough conference while EIU and MSU get in because they have similar records in WEAKER conferences

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 07:24 AM
i think the fact that MSU made it in the playoffs at 7-4 is one thing. the fact that they also earn a home game is complete BS

UNH 40
November 20th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Yeah we didn't get it done, but I am still kind of angry. I don't understand how UNI gets penalized because it plays in a tough conference while EIU and MSU get in because they have similar records in WEAKER conferences

I agree with you. This is an absolute joke in my opinion EIU and MSU have much weaker schedules and play in weaker conferences but somehow both make it in and both recieve home games? where is the logic in that decision, Northern Iwoa deserves to be in especially after handing it to Ill. St. and Youngstown.

LacesOut
November 20th, 2006, 07:55 AM
i think the fact that MSU made it in the playoffs at 7-4 is one thing. the fact that they also earn a home game is complete BS

Didn't they have to bid for that home game??

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 07:57 AM
sure they had to bid. but that still doesn't mean it's not BS. i honestly think the system needs a little rethinking. its obviously not about regional matchups anymore...and honestly...who really knows how much teams bid anyway?? only the men in the room who make the decisions...

LacesOut
November 20th, 2006, 08:00 AM
sure they had to bid. but that still doesn't mean it's not BS. i honestly think the system needs a little rethinking. its obviously not about regional matchups anymore...and honestly...who really knows how much teams bid anyway?? only the men in the room who make the decisions...

Oh I agree. Every year you can scratch your head and wonder what the heck was going on in that room!

lew
November 20th, 2006, 08:27 AM
I think they need to seed the top 8 teams at least. If they did that, the high seeds would properly get home games and a little bit of flexibility would still be allowed so this "regionalization" thing could still be considered for the first round or two. That being said, with only 3 teams getting in from the "west" this year (MSU, UM, and McNeese) somebody was going to be sent on a long trip.

I guess the Cats must have paid well for their home game.

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 08:49 AM
right but the grand state of illinois (who has three teams in the field this year) could have sent a team to montana...they're much closer than Furman.

shakdaddy3
November 20th, 2006, 09:18 AM
right but the grand state of illinois (who has three teams in the field this year) could have sent a team to montana...they're much closer than Furman.
best state in football in the US BABY! :hurray:

GO YOU REDBIRDS!

as for UNI vs. MSU making the playoffs.. i just don't think they wanted to take 4 teams from the Gateway...

and as for MSU and EIU getting a home game... THEIR RECORD DOES NOT MATTER... ONLY THE $$$$$$$$ MATTERS... we all know/knew this... can't do much about it right now, maybe before next year they will change it but i highly doubt it..

dbackjon
November 20th, 2006, 11:23 AM

What difference would that really make. Any of the Illinois teams would have to board an airplane, just like Furman......

putter
November 20th, 2006, 11:44 AM
I think they need to seed the top 8 teams at least. If they did that, the high seeds would properly get home games and a little bit of flexibility would still be allowed so this "regionalization" thing could still be considered for the first round or two. That being said, with only 3 teams getting in from the "west" this year (MSU, UM, and McNeese) somebody was going to be sent on a long trip.

I guess the Cats must have paid well for their home game.

That is the only way around it. It does not matter if Furman gets sent on a plane to Bozeman or McNeese to Missoula or vice versa. If you are going to whine about that then get out the ruler and measure distance and choose the team that has the shortest flight time. (as if that matters)

chuges1
November 20th, 2006, 12:12 PM

"Weaker Conferences"......ya dude how many teams did we have in the top 25 this year? Sorry you feel so much hatred for a team that did get in....shows great sportsmanship. I just think that you should accept the fact that we DID get in and leave it alone because all of this arguing gets nothing accomplished. Good luck in the future though because you guys did have a good team this year.

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 12:21 PM
What difference would that really make. Any of the Illinois teams would have to board an airplane, just like Furman......

"geographically" they're closer. plenty of teams will be flying instead of driving to their games...but its not as if Montana St. wasn't closer to any other team in the playoffs.

igo4uni
November 20th, 2006, 05:09 PM
as for UNI vs. MSU making the playoffs.. i just don't think they wanted to take 4 teams from the Gateway...

Yup.

I'm not bitter, though. UNI had their chances and did not get it done.

putter
November 20th, 2006, 05:34 PM
"geographically" they're closer. plenty of teams will be flying instead of driving to their games...but its not as if Montana St. wasn't closer to any other team in the playoffs.

Lets take the Great West, Big Sky and Southland conferences and take them out of the FCS and give us our own little subdivision so that the eastern teams don't have to board a plane. :confused: : smh : I don't hear anyone complaining that poor McNeese has to get on a plane to Missoula (about 3+hr flight). Why is it ok that McNeese has to fly and not Furman???

Reed Rothchild
November 20th, 2006, 06:48 PM
Let me know of a Big Sky team NOT named Montana who has had a lot of success in the playoffs recently. Then lets see Montana go on the road for a playoff game.

As for this quote, why should UNI and YSU (last year) be punished for being in a good league?

birdsflyhigh
November 20th, 2006, 07:01 PM
Completely agree with you Reed about UNI being punished for playing in the ultra-competitive Gateway, while EIU (OVC) and MSU (Big Sky) play conference games against weak competition. UNI gets the boot as a reward, while EIU and MSU are invited to the playoffs.

What a freakin' joke!! I, for one, have lost alot of respect for the playoff selection process. Thought the idea was to pick the BEST 16 teams (regardless of what conference) and give them a shot for a NC. It seems that the selection committee just ignored the value of a tough schedule and said what the hell...let's give MSU and EIU a shot at it. :twocents:

mtgrizfan4life
November 20th, 2006, 11:13 PM
I posted this at bobcatnation.com after reading all the BS being posted at AGS. Fact is they got in and someone had to be the team in and the team or teams left out. It is much better than 1A and the BCS bs there.
Below is not easy for me to post, being a GRIZ fan, but they earned my respect this year. I hope both the UM and MSU prove how good it is to be from Montana!!!!

Congratulations to Catnation (fans and team) for making the Playoffs. I want you to know I will be rooting for the cats except against the GRIZ. Here is to hoping that Tennessee becomes Montana for one weekend

I applaud the majority of cat fans in Missoula for being class acts during and after the game. I applaud the team for overcoming so much adversity this year and NEVER giving up. I applaud both the GRIZ and CATS for the hardest hitting game I have ever witnessed.

I also applaud the cats fans for posting at egriz.com congratulating the GRIZ and wishing us luck. In turn, I am glad I was I was wrong about PSU getting the nod over MSU. Deep down state pride wanted me to see 2 montana teams make it. I just thought PSU would get in.

Now a challenge to both Griz and Cat fans. 1) lets all get along and pull for one another during the playoffs. 2) Cat fans please step up to the plate and sell out this 1st round, it will help in term of future playoff appearances.

Finally, thanks to Coach Kramer. He really was a class act after the game this year. He went out of his way to defend the griz. IMHO that will go down as one of my all time favorite quotes!!!!!!! You know it had to be good for me to say that, being it came from a CAT (just kidding). Also, note to Jefferson. He is very talented and gifted, with a shot at the next level. Please calm down the on the field antics. Many fans hate the antics and it makes you and your team look bad. Save it for the pros. Even then, keep it under tabs. It really is a turnoff.

Thanks Catnation for a great weekend, great game, and here is to both teams meeting in Chattanooga. GO GRIZ and CATS!!!!!!!!!!

Tod
November 20th, 2006, 11:20 PM
Completely agree with you Reed about UNI being punished for playing in the ultra-competitive Gateway, while EIU (OVC) and MSU (Big Sky) play conference games against weak competition. UNI gets the boot as a reward, while EIU and MSU are invited to the playoffs.

What a freakin' joke!! I, for one, have lost alot of respect for the playoff selection process. Thought the idea was to pick the BEST 16 teams (regardless of what conference) and give them a shot for a NC. It seems that the selection committee just ignored the value of a tough schedule and said what the hell...let's give MSU and EIU a shot at it. :twocents:

It is your OPINION that UNI is better than MSU or EIU. Nothing more.

SeattleGriz
November 20th, 2006, 11:28 PM

Hmmm. Lets see who has played for the NC since 2000:

2000 - Georgia Southern vs Montana
2001 - Montana vs Furman
2002 - W Kentucky vs McNeese
2003 - Delaware vs Colgate
2004 - James Madison vs Montana
2005 - App State vs N Iowa

Of those that played for the NC:

3 from Southern
3 from Big Sky
2 from A10
2 from Gateway
1 from Patriot
1 from Southland

Yeah Gateway seems to have crushed everyone xidiotx They look average to me.

Chi Panther
November 20th, 2006, 11:40 PM
Hmmm. Lets see who has played for the NC since 2000:

2000 - Georgia Southern vs Montana
2001 - Montana vs Furman
2002 - W Kentucky vs McNeese
2003 - Delaware vs Colgate
2004 - James Madison vs Montana
2005 - App State vs N Iowa

Of those that played for the NC:

3 from Southern
3 from Big Sky
2 from A10
2 from Gateway
1 from Patriot
1 from Southland

Yeah Gateway seems to have crushed everyone xidiotx They look average to me.

Thanks for using 2000 as a starting point...I'll just use 1997 as mine.....Now update your math.......:read: :thumbsup: xcoffeex

2005 Appalachian St 21-16 UNI
2004 James Madison 31-21 Montana
2003 Delaware 40-0 Colgate
2002 Western Ky. 34-14 McNeese State
2001 Montana 13-6 Furman
2000 Ga. Southern 27-25 Montana
1999 Ga. Southern 59-24 Youngstown St.
1998 Massachusetts 55-43 Ga. Southern
1997 Youngstown St. 10-9 McNeese St.

SeattleGriz
November 20th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Thanks for using 2000 as a starting point...I'll just use 1997 as mine.....Now update your math.......:read: :thumbsup: xcoffeex

2005 Appalachian St 21-16 UNI
2004 James Madison 31-21 Montana
2003 Delaware 40-0 Colgate
2002 Western Ky. 34-14 McNeese State
2001 Montana 13-6 Furman
2000 Ga. Southern 27-25 Montana
1999 Ga. Southern 59-24 Youngstown St.
1998 Massachusetts 55-43 Ga. Southern
1997 Youngstown St. 10-9 McNeese St.

Even if you go back to 97, the Gateway is still average on how many of its teams make it to the championship.

crunifan
November 20th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Even if you go back to 97, the Gateway is still average on how many of its teams make it to the championship.

Average, we took three seperate teams.

The Big Sky took a whooping ONE.

You take Montana out of that conference and it is completely worthless. It would be similar to the OVC.

And please tell me what conference is the ONLY conference to have every member make it to the playoffs?

Chi Panther
November 21st, 2006, 12:01 AM
I think the point is....the number of different teams from a given conf.....

Reed Rothchild
November 21st, 2006, 06:40 AM
I think the point is....the number of different teams from a given conf.....

Exactly. Playoff selections should NOT be made based on giving each conference a certain number of selections. That is my biggest problem. If MSU or EIU were 8-3 this year, than I would have no problem with UNI being out of it. But, the 3 teams had a comparable record. When its that close, you have to look at on field performance. I have seen ZERO argument for MSU and EIU to be picked instead of UNI based on ON FIELD PERFORMANCE. Choosing based on giving a conference a certain number of pics is WRONG!

Khan4Cats
November 21st, 2006, 08:45 AM
There is a reason that EIU bolted from the Gateway several years ago. they knew they could never get in the playoffs consistently in the Gateway. SO they find a weaker conference, with plenty of in-conference cupcakes and voila, at-large.

89Hen
November 21st, 2006, 09:17 AM
Average, we took three seperate teams.

And please tell me what conference is the ONLY conference to have every member make it to the playoffs?
The A10 has had three separate teams win it in the last 8 years and only Towson hasn't gone to the playoffs from the A10, but they're still building up to full scholarhips and only missed it by one win this year.

STACCATS
November 21st, 2006, 10:09 AM
It pains me to listen to all of you who have little respect for the Big Sky Conf.(outside of Montana). But let me point something out to all of you.

Montana has been a dominating team on the national scene for a long time, and they play in the Big Sky conference. Therefore the conference is a quality conference because of UM. But it is not just UM that is good in the BSC. MSU has made the playoffs 3 of the last 5 years. Eastern Washington went on the road two years ago and wacked a top rated So. Illinois squad(from this so called tough Gateway conference) in their own stadium in the first round. And not for a last mininute drive by Sam Houston would have been playing UM in the semis. They also made the playoffs last year and lost a tough one to National runner up UNI. In 02' NAU(third place team from the BSC) went on the road and destroyed number 1 seeded McNeese. So quit bagging on the Big Sky. We did also have two pretty impressive 1-A wins this year in our conference.

Also I would put UM's accomplishments up against anybody the last seven years.

From 00' - 06' they have a 78-18 overall record, with 3 trips to the national title game, winning one of them. Now the question to all of you geniuses, name the only team in the entire country to beat the Grizzlies 3 times in that time span(one in the friendly confines of Washington Grizzly Stadium)?

When you figure out the answer, maybe you will start giving the Bobcats a little respect. I'm sure Furman is right now, but if not more teams soon will be.

89Hen
November 21st, 2006, 10:15 AM
But it is not just UM that is good in the BSC. MSU has made the playoffs 3 of the last 5 years. Eastern Washington went on the road two years ago and wacked a top rated So. Illinois squad(from this so called tough Gateway conference) in their own stadium in the first round.
FWIW, since the turn of the century the "others" are a combined 2-7 in the playoffs.

EWU 1-2
NAU 1-2
MSU 0-2
PSU 0-1

STACCATS
November 21st, 2006, 10:27 AM
so,

What is So. Illinois playoff record since the turn of the century?
Youngstown St.?
Illinois St.?
No. Iowa?
W. Illinois?
W. Kentucky?
Missouri St.?
Indiana St. ?

I tell you what, why don't you compile those 8 teams playoff records since the turn of the century, and then compare that to the 8 teams from the BSC since 00'(excluding UNC, unless you want to add all of their playoff wins in DII?)

putter
November 21st, 2006, 10:28 AM
You know what is funny about this conversation? We are not debating 1-2-3 like the BCS. We are debating who should have been 15-16-17 teams in the land. Much rather worry about who should have been the 15th team in than the 2nd or 3rd team.

bcrawf
November 21st, 2006, 10:32 AM
UNI is 6-3 in the playoffs since 2000

Tailbone
November 21st, 2006, 10:40 AM
Let me know of a Big Sky team NOT named Montana who has had a lot of success in the playoffs recently. Then lets see Montana go on the road for a playoff game.

As for this quote, why should UNI and YSU (last year) be punished for being in a good league?

Define success.

From an article last year:
"This is probably one of three or four schools that has a
legitimate shot at winning a national championship, because of its
balance and confidence. SIU is just a dropped two-point conversion pass
(against I-A Northern Illinois) away from an 11-0 record."

#2 in preseason polls, # 1 for 10 straight weeks. SIU was the clear favorite to win the National Championship.

But, Eastern washington 35 - Southern Illinois 31 (Round 1 - 2004)

So much for the superiority of the Gateway. the point is that speculation is easy and consensus lends credibility, but the results (of on-field play) are often quite different.
That's why we play the games.

Are you also one of those who despite having played (and losing to) App state, claimed that EWU was in fact the best team you faced last year?

I'm beginning to think your argument is more one of sour grapes than anything else. get over yourself.

BTW: NAU (another BSC also ran) accomplished a similar feat against McNeese, crushing the top ranked team in the country, in the first round, in the not too distant past. Not bad for such a "weak" conference.

Tailbone
November 21st, 2006, 11:37 AM
Is it not also odd, when comparing resumes of the Gateway and BigSky, that the BSC has a 2-0 record against the top seed in the play-offs (over the last 5 years) and the top two teams in the Gateway can't even beat the third place team in their own conference this year?

As for bolting the Gateway for an easier conference, that might be a good idea.
With the inclusion of the Dakotas in the GFC, I suspect that in coming years UNI fans are likely to have more opportunities to enjoy the play-offs from the comfort of their living rooms.

Chi Panther
November 21st, 2006, 11:57 AM
Is it not also odd, when comparing resumes of the Gateway and BigSky, that the BSC has a 2-0 record against the top seed in the play-offs (over the last 5 years) and the top two teams in the Gateway can't even beat the third place team in their own conference this year?

With the inclusion of the Dakotas in the GFC, I suspect that in coming years UNI fans are likely to have more opportunities to enjoy the play-offs from the comfort of their living rooms.

For the first part.....UNI did beat what I believe was the #1 seed last year in UNH....Additionally, UNI was 2nd in the Conf this year.....so I believe YSU and Ill State not being able to beat UNI shows the quality of the GFC. If we take this a step further....when YSU and WKU won the National Championships.....neither were the GFC Champion.....isn't that ODD......

As for the Dakotas joining.....I completely agree....the league is going to become even more competitive.......

Khan4Cats
November 21st, 2006, 12:09 PM

Kind of ironic how they were not wanted in the Big Sky.:rolleyes:

dbackjon
November 21st, 2006, 12:29 PM
Wow - Blinded Bitter UNI fans showing less class/knowledge of CS football than San Diego fans.......

Yeah - Missouri State and Indiana State were oh so tough games for y'all.

AZGrizFan
November 21st, 2006, 12:36 PM
For the first part.....UNI did beat what I believe was the #1 seed last year in UNH....Additionally, UNI was 2nd in the Conf this year.....so I believe YSU and Ill State not being able to beat UNI shows the quality of the GFC. If we take this a step further....when YSU and WKU won the National Championships.....neither were the GFC Champion.....isn't that ODD......

As for the Dakotas joining.....I completely agree....the league is going to become even more competitive.......

Maybe it all hinged on the fact that MSU BEAT Colorado, and UNI's loss to Iowa State looks that much worse because Iowa State LOST to Colorado 33-16. :twocents: :twocents: :twocents: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

AZGrizFan
November 21st, 2006, 12:37 PM
Kind of ironic how they were not wanted in the Big Sky.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm SURE it's because everybody is scared to play them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Khan4Cats
November 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM
Not blinded, but I would agree bitter if the reason stated for the choice is what it was-that the Gateway had three teams so they wanted to balance out amongst the conferences. If that's the case then let's change next year to be sure that there are 12 auto bids with the second place teams from the Gateway, A-10, SoCon, and Big Sky get in along with the 8 champions. That is, essentially, what the committee is saying. let there be four at-larges to sort, will make their job that much easier next year.

Khan4Cats
November 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM
Yeah, I'm SURE it's because everybody is scared to play them. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Then why are you cancelling return games to their places?

AZGrizFan
November 21st, 2006, 12:42 PM
Then why are you cancelling return games to their places?

The almighty dollar, dude. And nothing else. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Khan4Cats
November 21st, 2006, 12:52 PM
Which is ultimately why I think UNI was left out. Note the teams that got in instead of us are at home. God I love the N$AA.

GrizDen
November 21st, 2006, 12:56 PM

A little late with my reply, but I just logged on again for the first time since Sunday. The Big Sky conference is consistently one of the top conferences. To mention that it is "weaker" than the Gateway is downright loony. xidiotx While I'll admit the Big Sky overall is weaker this year in comparison to previous years, I'll stack the top three teams in Montana, Montana State and Portland State up against the top three teams from every other conference.

putter
November 21st, 2006, 01:00 PM

I understand your frustration, especially having beaten YSU and S. ILL. One way to look at it is: Beat North Dakota and UNI is in the playoffs, probably at home.

AZGrizFan
November 21st, 2006, 01:33 PM

Northern Iowa: Wins and Losses since 1973

Overall Record 260-137-3 .654

All-Time Records vs Various Conferences (since 1973)

Big Sky Conference 14-7-0 .667
Gateway Football Conference 111-46-0 .707

So UNI has a tougher time against the WEAKER conference?

Guess that explains the loss to D-II UND. :cool: :cool:

AggiePride
November 21st, 2006, 01:34 PM
I was surprised, I still do not know how to judge our game with them and now it will be interesting to watch how MSU fairs.

Tailbone
November 21st, 2006, 02:30 PM
Which is ultimately why I think UNI was left out. Note the teams that got in instead of us are at home. God I love the N$AA.

For the umpteenth time, teams are selected before envelopes are opened.
You can quibble over the finer points in comparing resumes amongst the 7-4 at-large teams - but honestly, one's pretty much the same as another, and all can justify (at least to themselves) inclusion in the play-offs.
Bottom line: one is in, the rest are out for whatever reason the comittee used to determine the selection.
But don't suggest that it was done on the basis of money, as the UNI-Dome's seating capacity is about 1000 more than that of MSU's stadium.

AZGrizFan
November 25th, 2006, 10:26 PM
For the umpteenth time, teams are selected before envelopes are opened.
You can quibble over the finer points in comparing resumes amongst the 7-4 at-large teams - but honestly, one's pretty much the same as another, and all can justify (at least to themselves) inclusion in the play-offs.
Bottom line: one is in, the rest are out for whatever reason the comittee used to determine the selection.
But don't suggest that it was done on the basis of money, as the UNI-Dome's seating capacity is about 1000 more than that of MSU's stadium.

And now, after the first round games, all the BS about the BSC being a WEAKER conference can be put to rest. I think we saw today WHY MSU was picked.
They WORKED Furman, and McNeese played about 20 good minutes of football before they folded their tent against the Griz.

And if PSU had been in instead of Laughayette or Coastal or Hampton (autobids, I know), they would most likely have performed just as well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Mountain Panther
November 25th, 2006, 10:35 PM
And now, after the first round games, all the BS about the BSC being a WEAKER conference can be put to rest. I think we saw today WHY MSU was picked.
They WORKED Furman, and McNeese played about 20 good minutes of football before they folded their tent against the Griz.

And if PSU had been in instead of Laughayette or Coastal or Hampton (autobids, I know), they would most likely have performed just as well. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The EXACT same argument can made if you replace the word MSU with UNI and BSC with Gateway. We beat two teams that are now in the second round!

BigApp
November 25th, 2006, 10:47 PM
:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

weren't you two giving Youngstown fans a hard time last year for saying the same thing? :rolleyes: : smh : :rolleyes:

AZGrizFan
November 25th, 2006, 10:54 PM
The EXACT same argument can made if you replace the word MSU with UNI and BSC with Gateway. We beat two teams that are now in the second round!

And if anybody EXCEPT UM, AppState or UMass wins the title, some team will be able to say "We beat the national champs this year!". That and a quarter will buy you a cup of coffee. My only point was to the people who bitched and moaned about MSU making the playoffs at all, and kept insisting that they had no chance against Furman. Well, la-de-fricking-da, they're now one of the last 8 teams standing. And all that after coming out of a "weak" conference and having NO quality wins (according to UMassfan). Whodathunkit, huh? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

matfu
November 25th, 2006, 10:57 PM
i didn't read all the posts before the game but i never saw those that said you had no chance against furman

AZGrizFan
November 25th, 2006, 11:00 PM
i didn't read all the posts before the game but i never saw those that said you had no chance against furman

Most (in fact, I'm not sure any were) were not made by FU fans... :thumbsup:

grizfan86
November 25th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Hey AZGRIZ, doesn't it suck having to stick up for the Kittys? But you are right, and I'm glad you're doing it so I don't have to.

AZGrizFan
November 25th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Hey AZGRIZ, doesn't it suck having to stick up for the Kittys? But you are right, and I'm glad you're doing it so I don't have to.

Yeah. I rode them hard before the Griz/Cat game, but I was/am extremely impressed with the way they picked themselves up off the floor after that mysterious 3-game lapse, dusted themselves off, and got back in the fight. Besides, I get sick of the crap on here by some about the BSC being "weak", the teams having "no quality wins", and it being a 1-team conference. I think Montana's success over the past 14 years has jaded some I-AA fans as to the exact level of play that goes on in conference play. I thought we'd gotten beyond that last year when EWU took UNI down to the wire, but evidently not.

Oh, well. My work is never done. ;) ;) :eyebrow: :read: :read: :read:

GrizDen
November 25th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Besides, I get sick of the crap on here by some about the BSC being "weak", the teams having "no quality wins", and it being a 1-team conference. I think Montana's success over the past 14 years has jaded some I-AA fans as to the exact level of play that goes on in conference play. I thought we'd gotten beyond that last year when EWU took UNI down to the wire, but evidently not.

Very well said AZGrizFan. :bow:

AZGrizFan
November 25th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Very well said AZGrizFan. :bow:

Thanks. My real (hidden) agenda is to get FTG06' to acknowledge that I'm not any one of the myriad of names he's called me in various posts and PM's. Until he does that, I won't be able to sleep at night. I don't really believe all the BS I've written about the Cats, but I just need FTG's approval to be able to move on with my life. :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

kalm
November 26th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Yeah. I rode them hard before the Griz/Cat game, but I was/am extremely impressed with the way they picked themselves up off the floor after that mysterious 3-game lapse, dusted themselves off, and got back in the fight. Besides, I get sick of the crap on here by some about the BSC being "weak", the teams having "no quality wins", and it being a 1-team conference. I think Montana's success over the past 14 years has jaded some I-AA fans as to the exact level of play that goes on in conference play. I thought we'd gotten beyond that last year when EWU took UNI down to the wire, but evidently not.

Or when EWU beat #1 SIU in Carbondale 2 years ago.:)

Northern Arizona, Portland St., and MSU are all playoff caliber teams who beat each other up pretty good and played a combined 6 D-1 games - thus the records.

The Griz beat them all.

The cats belong, the BSC deserves at least one at-large bid every year, and probably 2.

Nice post AZgrizfan.

Go BSC

MCCat
November 26th, 2006, 01:12 PM
kalm, I totally agree w/ the 2 at-large bids for the Big Sky, but then we'd have to listen to all the whining about having to travel so far to play a game! For crying out loud, the teams in the Big Sky travel farther for ONE CONFERENCE game (on average) them most of them travel all year, combined, for their conference games.

BTW, why don't any of these guys, besides the Dakotas, schedule non-conference games w/ the Big Sky if its such a "weak" conference...hummmm:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :bang:

Khan4Cats
November 26th, 2006, 02:18 PM
the BSC deserves at least one at-large bid every year

I think the committee sent a message loud and clear this year that there are only four or less at-large bids actually available. After you take the auto bids plus an at-large from each of the 'big' conferences (A-10, Gateway, SoCon, Big Sky) I'm sure the Southland would have had an at-large guaranteed if they had a team qualify. Not exactly getting the best 16 teams in, but at least they'll be politically correct.

AZGrizFan
November 26th, 2006, 11:24 PM
I think the committee sent a message loud and clear this year that there are only four or less at-large bids actually available. After you take the auto bids plus an at-large from each of the 'big' conferences (A-10, Gateway, SoCon, Big Sky) I'm sure the Southland would have had an at-large guaranteed if they had a team qualify. Not exactly getting the best 16 teams in, but at least they'll be politically correct.

I think you're right. And it's where PSU and NAU screwed themselves by scheduling too many I-A games....couldn't get that gaudy record (8-3) to look better in the judges eyes, or else BSC would have had 3 in.

pantherclaw
November 27th, 2006, 06:55 AM
i agree AZGrizFan, the BSC IMO is no longer a one-team conference, though i think what'll take for people to fully acknowledge that is if UM(or is it MU? help please) dosen't win a share/outright of the conference title for about 3 years, and 3 different teams win the title/auto-bid and then do well in the playoffs, semi's, NC. But I have a new found respect for the BSC.

RabidRabbit
November 27th, 2006, 07:07 AM
kalm, I totally agree w/ the 2 at-large bids for the Big Sky, but then we'd have to listen to all the whining about having to travel so far to play a game! For crying out loud, the teams in the Big Sky travel farther for ONE CONFERENCE game (on average) them most of them travel all year, combined, for their conference games.

BTW, why don't any of these guys, besides the Dakotas, schedule non-conference games w/ the Big Sky if its such a "weak" conference...hummmm:eyebrow: :eyebrow: :bang:

The Great West Conference teams WANT OOC games with the BIG SKY! :hurray: :hurray:

However, BIG SKY SCHOOLS NEED to RETURN the backends of HOME-HOME arrangements. :bang: :bang: So far, looks like MT St., UM, and possibly Sac St are backing out on the return trips due in '07 to Cal Poly and the Dakota schools.

This appears to be an on-going trend, especially for the MT schools, and is going to lead to a boycott for playing MT schools if they'll not play at the other school's home. May need to only have 5 home games some seasons, like most schools do every other year.

RabidRabbit
November 27th, 2006, 07:16 AM
i agree AZGrizFan, the BSC IMO is no longer a one-team conference, though i think what'll take for people to fully acknowledge that is if UM(or is it MU? help please) dosen't win a share/outright of the conference title for about 3 years, and 3 different teams win the title/auto-bid and then do well in the playoffs, semi's, NC. But I have a new found respect for the BSC.

Not so sure that once all 5 of the GWFC schools are eligible that BSC would be the dominant qualifying conference out west. Basically, only Poly was eligible this year. Sure, SUU was technically eligible, but they don't even qualify as a counter. UCD, NDSU & SDSU weren't even eligible. Likewise, should UND move up, get thru their transition period, they'll not be gimme games either, as UNI found out.

BTW, both Chadron St. and UND are into the quarterfinals of the DII play-offs :smiley_wi

pantherclaw
November 27th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Not so sure that once all 5 of the GWFC schools are eligible that BSC would be the dominant qualifying conference out west. Basically, only Poly was eligible this year. Sure, SUU was technically eligible, but they don't even qualify as a counter. UCD, NDSU & SDSU weren't even eligible. Likewise, should UND move up, get thru their transition period, they'll not be gimme games either, as UNI found out.

BTW, both Chadron St. and UND are into the quarterfinals of the DII play-offs :smiley_wi

Where in my post did i say anything about the BSC being the dominant qualifying conference out west or for the matter the GWFC. I was refering to the BSC shedding the "one-team conference" moniker. I think the GWFC if it can get 6 teams will defiently be a force to reckon with.

newsbreaker
November 27th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I can't imagine anyone taking this as definitive, but the final regular season sagarin, conference rankings. Remember, these are a composite of the teams in the actual leagues.

"Championship" leagues, with overall Division I rankings.

1 - Great West (11)
2 - Gateway (13)
3 - A 10 (15)
4 - Big Sky (16)
5 - Southern (17)

RabidRabbit
November 27th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Where in my post did i say anything about the BSC being the dominant qualifying conference out west or for the matter the GWFC. I was refering to the BSC shedding the "one-team conference" moniker. I think the GWFC if it can get 6 teams will defiently be a force to reckon with.

I believe that the BSC will continue to be generally, a "one-team" play-off conference as long as MT continues to dominate. I suspect that MT St. wouldn't have been in this year if NDSU had been eligible. The main way that BSC gets more than one in is if somebody beats MT for the auto-qualifyer.

There's appears to be a certain amount of regionalization within the selection process. If there had been another qualified applicant from the GWFC or Southland, MT St., this year, wouldn't be playing yet.

That regionalization, to some degree, may explain why MT St was selected rather than UNI. My :twocents:

dbackjon
November 27th, 2006, 10:03 AM
I believe that the BSC will continue to be generally, a "one-team" play-off conference as long as MT continues to dominate. I suspect that MT St. wouldn't have been in this year if NDSU had been eligible. The main way that BSC gets more than one in is if somebody beats MT for the auto-qualifyer.

There's appears to be a certain amount of regionalization within the selection process. If there had been another qualified applicant from the GWFC or Southland, MT St., this year, wouldn't be playing yet.

That regionalization, to some degree, may explain why MT St was selected rather than UNI. My :twocents:

Big Sky has almost always gotten two teams in.

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 10:06 AM
FWIW, the SoCon didn't have an at-large in 2003.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
November 27th, 2006, 10:13 AM
I wasn't really sure where to ask this so I guess this thread is as good as others.

This Saturday we have an A-10 and a Gateway matchup in the Quarterfinals. With that "trend" in mind and all the talk about regionalization, why isn't there also a Big Sky matchup in the Quarterfinals? Wouldn't that be a bus game just like UNH-UMass?

Personally, I'd prefer the same league matchups not to occur until the semi-finals, because there's more opportunity for it to never happen. Plus, with the NCAA picking up the travel costs, we'd get to see more matchups that don't occur during the regular season because of finances and scheduling philosophies.

Don't get me wrong, having a short drive to Amherst is an unexpected bonus. And it should be pretty electric due to the long history of the rivalry. That should translate well in the national exposure department. As would Montana State-Montana.

Ronbo
November 27th, 2006, 10:42 AM
I think it's already been said that regionalization is only considered in the first round. Then there is 13 eastern teams out of 16 total picked for the playoffs. Kind of botches up the regionalization idea doesn't it? There is a rule that Conference members can't meet in the 1st round. Thus we got McNeese not MSU. Also I'd like to know how MSU being in our bracket would have changed the A-10 and Gateway matchups? When you get that many teams in it's enivitible that those matchups will occur sooner or later.

chiapet9
November 27th, 2006, 12:36 PM
well - had Furman won that game it would have been a SoCon rematch in the quarters. so i guess the committee tried for that one instead of the MSU/UM rematch. though they should have figured that MSU would be hard to beat in Bozeman, but whatever.

89Hen
November 27th, 2006, 02:51 PM
When you get that many teams in it's enivitible that those matchups will occur sooner or later.
Just flip the two non-seeded games in each bracket and the A10 wouldn't have met in the second round. I also did a field using the 16 teams, 4 seeds and I had no conference match-ups until the semis. It aint that hard.

Eastern Illinois at Appalachian State (1)
Coastal Carolina at JMU

New Hampshire at YSU (4)
Hampton at Furman

McNeese State at Montana (2)
Tennessee Martin at Illinois State

Lafayette at Massachusetts (3)
Montana State at Southern Illinois

PantherRob82
November 27th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Would be nice to see some different matchups. Maybe YSU-UNH and UMass-Il St.

Keep teams from the same conference apart as much as possible.