PDA

View Full Version : San Diego @ UC Davis

UNHWildCats
November 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM
:D

UNHFan99
November 19th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Best of Luck to San Diego in their search for a new Athletic director. Hes the reason they arent in the playoffs.

GOTOREROS
November 19th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Yes - USD vs. UC Davis. I guess I can't say I am too surprised. Good luck to those in the playoffs - the best 16 are in.

MplsBison
November 19th, 2006, 01:10 PM
If San Diego beats Davis by 4 touchdowns, then they should've been in the playoffs.

But we all know Davis is going to win. Their streak of winning seasons is on the line.

BisonBacker
November 19th, 2006, 02:11 PM
Yes - USD vs. UC Davis. I guess I can't say I am too surprised. Good luck to those in the playoffs - the best 16 are in.
I will respectfully disagree :nono:

GOTOREROS
November 19th, 2006, 02:19 PM

OK - the best 16 ELIGIBLE teams are in.......:bang:

CopperCat
November 19th, 2006, 04:35 PM

Who do you think should have been in? (that was eligible of course)

ToreroTime
November 20th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Does anyone know if you can tailgate at UC Davis?

catbob
November 20th, 2006, 01:45 AM
Normally I would root for San Diego here, I like the little guys (plus Davis thumped us).

But for purely selfish reasons, I want UC-Davis to beat USD, and do so convincingly. Why? Because for a good 2 months all we will hear is "OMG USD SHOULD'VE BEEN IN THE PLAYOFFS SEE!"

Worst thing that could happen to this message board - Montana State loses and USD thumps the Ags. :( I cringe even thinking about it.

downbythebeach
November 20th, 2006, 01:49 AM
Normally I would root for San Diego here, I like the little guys (plus Davis thumped us).

But for purely selfish reasons, I want UC-Davis to beat USD, and do so convincingly. Why? Because for a good 2 months all we will hear is "OMG USD SHOULD'VE BEEN IN THE PLAYOFFS SEE!"

Worst thing that could happen to this message board - Montana State loses and USD thumps the Ags. :( I cringe even thinking about it.

He's right.....or you may hear "USD - the real national champions"xlolx

iguerin
November 20th, 2006, 02:17 AM
Because I wonder about this site -- A couple of years ago, was CCU treated as USD is now?
Educate one of the new guys, please.

OldAggieAlum
November 20th, 2006, 03:10 AM
Will this be the first regular season game of the new Championship Subdivision?

November 20th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Because I wonder about this site -- A couple of years ago, was CCU treated as USD is now?
Educate one of the new guys, please.yeah, somewhat worse because CCU wants in the SOCON bad and SOCON fans were/are unrelentless... but not as bad because CCU is schollie and USD is not. Everyone here remembers when CCU fans came aboard. :) Glad to have both squads represented here to keep the trad powers aware that there are others who are chomping at the playoff bit.

November 20th, 2006, 04:38 AM
Will this be the first regular season game of the new Championship Subdivision?No. Regular season this year is I-AA. CS begins with the post-season.

siugrad99
November 20th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Ok NDSU... Give It Up you are begining to sound like USD fans. We all know you are Good, but rules are rules. Noone is debating how good NDSU is so rather than cry and make comments about it each time someone says the best 16 are in.... accept it and realize you'll be a force next season. The little comments only make people dislike you.

lucchesicourt
November 20th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Yes, they will be a force next season, but they still have one more year of transitional status. Fair? NOT---- 5 years is too long!!!

spelunker64
November 20th, 2006, 07:35 AM
UC-Davis has a much better team than their record shows. The Aggies' will show the 'Toom' out in style.

UC-Davis - A bunch
USD - Not so much

OL FU
November 20th, 2006, 07:50 AM
yeah, somewhat worse because CCU wants in the SOCON bad and SOCON fans were/are unrelentless... but not as bad because CCU is schollie and USD is not. Everyone here remembers when CCU fans came aboard. :) Glad to have both squads represented here to keep the trad powers aware that there are others who are chomping at the playoff bit.

And CCU improved their schedule and you don't hear it much in anymore:nod:

WYOBISONMAN
November 20th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Ok NDSU... Give It Up you are begining to sound like USD fans. We all know you are Good, but rules are rules. Noone is debating how good NDSU is so rather than cry and make comments about it each time someone says the best 16 are in.... accept it and realize you'll be a force next season. The little comments only make people dislike you.

The team I saw on Satuday was GREAT........not just good!

pantherclaw
November 20th, 2006, 10:20 AM
He's right.....or you may hear "USD - the real national champions"xlolx

you know they'll say it, shoot already saw a topic about that sort of thing, can't remeber where though.

ucdtim17
November 20th, 2006, 11:13 AM
Does anyone know if you can tailgate at UC Davis?

No official tailgating. There should be a pregame BBQ in Central Park (right?) a few blocks east of Toomey. There are the bars and restaurants downtown, all within easy walking distance. Good luck and enjoy

AggieFinn
November 20th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Comparing Schedules:

2006 UC Davis Aggie Football Schedule - currently (5 - 5)

http://louie.stuaff.ucdavis.edu/ICA/SAGS/goags.gif

09/02/06 @ Northern Colorado, W 38-7
09/09/06 @ #21 (I-A) TCU, L 13-46
09/16/06 @ Montana State, W 45-0 (2K6 playoff bound)
09/23/06 @ Youngstown State, L 24-38 (2K6 playoff bound)
10/07/06 @ Cal Poly, L 17-23
10/14/06 vs. Central Arkansas, W 33-13
10/21/06 vs. Southern Utah (Homecoming), W 27-7
10/28/06 @ South Dakota State, L 21-22
11/04/06 vs. North Dakota State, L 24-28
11/18/06 vs. Sacramento State, W 30-16
11/25/06 Univ. of San Diego, Davis, Calif. 1:05 p.m. PT

2006 USD Torero Football Schedule - currently (10 - 0)

http://masseyratings.com/img/col_sandiego.gif

09/01/06 vs. Azusa Pacific, W 27-0
09/09/06 vs. Dixie State, W 41-7
09/16/06 @ Yale, W 43-17
09/30/06 @ Davidson, W 50-21
10/07/06 vs. Butler, W 56-3
10/14/06 vs. Valparaiso, W 68-7
10/21/06 @ Drake, W 37-0
10/28/06 vs. Morehead State, W 44-21
11/04/06 @ Jacksonville, W 38-21
11/11/06 vs. Dayton, W 56-14
11/25/06 @ UC Davis, Davis, Calif. 1:00 p.m. PT
12/02/06 Gridiron Classic West Long Branch, NJ TBA

MiamiTorero
November 20th, 2006, 12:39 PM
UCD Supporters- There arent official tailgates but can we have our own and do they allow drinking in the parking lot before the game? If you could let us know it would be greatly appreciated.

GrizFanIRAQ
November 20th, 2006, 12:42 PM
I cant wait for UC DAVIS to show San Diego why they werent selected on SUNDAY!!!!

AggiePride
November 20th, 2006, 12:50 PM
UCD Supporters- There arent official tailgates but can we have our own and do they allow drinking in the parking lot before the game? If you could let us know it would be greatly appreciated.

No real "parking lot" like you are thinking. There is a parking structure right nextn to the stadium, not the best place to tailgate, and it is all on campus which does not allow drinking.

But... it is also on the edge closest to downtown, all walking distance, so most Davis fans just "tailgate" at houses and walk a couple blocks to the game.

Not a very good situation for visitors who want to tailgate.

Next year will be much better at the new stadium, but alas, no "tailgating" only "BBQ picnics" or something. There will be large grass areas around the stadium I think. No tailgating and no drinking. Silly :mad:

ucdtim17
November 20th, 2006, 12:50 PM
No drinking on campus. Bars are your best bet if you don't have a house to pregame at

BisBison
November 20th, 2006, 12:52 PM
No drinking on campus. Bars are your best bet if you don't have a house to pregame at

We also had that rule, but got it changed 3 years ago for 1 of the parking lots at the FFD. No real problems that I'm aware of since. Tailgating has boomed since then.

AggiePride
November 20th, 2006, 12:53 PM

Yes, thats a USD fans best bet. All of downtown is walking distance from the stadium and hotels. And it is a nice town to take a stroll through.

MiamiTorero
November 20th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Any bars you guys can recommend that are open a couple hours before the game?(1pm kickoff) that might have a special going... Im a former lineman that can drink a lot so I need a deal or special going haha

ucdtim17
November 20th, 2006, 02:09 PM
The Grad will have all the other games on - Russell and Anderson. Downtown - Woodstock's good for pizza and beer. If you want to ensure that you forget the beating the Ags will lay on the Toreros, stop by Bernardo's on the way to the game and get a Wiki or two

BigApp
November 20th, 2006, 02:13 PM
no tailgates? :eyebrow:

MiamiTorero
November 20th, 2006, 02:16 PM
UCDTim- Thanx but what if I want to remember the USD victory?

AggiePride
November 20th, 2006, 02:16 PM
no tailgates? :eyebrow:

Yes, really lame. :mad:

Currently it really is impossible, there is not appropriate parking for tailgating to happen.. But I think with the new stadium (once it is completed) they may take another look at it once they see how everything works out.

AggiePride
November 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM
UCDTim- Thanx but what if I want to remember the USD victory?

Don't go to the game after that nice dream the night before.. ;)

MiamiTorero
November 20th, 2006, 02:23 PM
Don't go to the game after that nice dream the night before.. ;)

I'm not one to talk smack unless it is brought about. But I do think we are going to get a great game in Davis. I will be rooting for my team all the way and may the best team win. I hope we have a great and clean game with no major injuries on either side. And I hope to have a good first time in Davis(and unsober) xlolx

AggiePride
November 20th, 2006, 02:26 PM
I'm not one to talk smack unless it is brought about. But I do think we are going to get a great game in Davis. I will be rooting for my team all the way and may the best team win. I hope we have a great and clean game with no major injuries on either side. And I hope to have a good first time in Davis(and unsober) xlolx

Here's to a great game. :beerchug:

MiamiTorero
November 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Here's to a great game. :beerchug:

:beerchug: Im with you

RabidRabbit
November 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM
It will be interesting in which way this is an eye-opening experience. My $$ and heart are for my fellow GWFC team to demonstrate the difference between schollie/non-schollie football at play-off time.

However, IF USD makes a game or :eek: wins, then I hope they'll quickly jump to the GWFC and play us all, and work on changing to schollies. :twocents:

ucdtim17
November 20th, 2006, 03:35 PM
USD victory?

Doesn't compute - I don't understand the question

If you want to remember the game as an example of a team that your Toreros aspire to be, then I'd recommend skipping the wikies.

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 04:00 PM
i just don't understand - why would USD's AD schedule a game on the weekend of the first round of playoffs. had they shifted their scheduled games back one week (meaning they would have finished this past weekend with UCDavis) and had they beaten UCD - they might have been considered more for the playoffs. makes no sense to me. if they HAD been chosen for the playoffs were they just planning on cancelling that game with UCDavis? that just seems stupid.

ASU Kep
November 20th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Yah, UC Davis was going to let them reschedule had they been selected. At the beginning of the year, San Diego was definitely not thinking they had a chance of being selected.

Torero Tradition
November 20th, 2006, 05:33 PM
If San Diego wants to make the playoffs in future years... they need to amp up the schedule. San Diego next year should be better, IMHO, that is the good news... the bad news is... i'm not so sure the A.D. will provide the schedule we need.

NDSUFREAK
November 20th, 2006, 06:42 PM

It is technically true that the best 16 teams are in the playoffs. And don't worry guys we get that A RULE IS A RULE, but we are just stating the truth (or at least I am) when we say that the best 16 aren't in.
I would just like to see the rankings at the end and see how it will be ranked and how they will do it. Anybody have any ideas?

(Meaning that since NDSU isn't in the playoffs, will it be a fair ranking or sole playoff results)

Reed Rothchild
November 20th, 2006, 06:44 PM
UC Davis by 28

Stang Fever
November 20th, 2006, 08:25 PM
I believe NDSU just wont move in the polls. they can go to third or something like that. but wont get to number one

MiamiTorero
November 20th, 2006, 08:47 PM
UC Davis by 28

Id be willing to put any amount of money sayin Davis doesnt cover that spread. :thumbsup:

GoAgs72
November 20th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I previously predicted 28-14 Aggies but there is really no way to predict a score for teams that have never played and have no common opponents. The Aggies have played a tough schedule and Toreros have played a weak schedule but no one can really adequately determine how they will play each other. There are completely different motivations for both teams. The Aggies have a winning season and the last game at Toomey Field on the line. The Toreros want to prove they should have been in the playoffs. The Aggies have been very inconsistent but are also able to put up 45-0 against Montana State and 24-0 in one half against North Dakota State. The Toreros have been consistent but with a schedule that any good team should be consistent - a very predictable outcome.

It should be a very interesting game and if any of you from other colleges are in the area and get tired of turkey, drop by on Saturday for some real entertainment. This will be the playoffs for UC Davis and the first round for USD since they get one more round, win or lose.

Steven Bryant
November 21st, 2006, 12:41 AM
I predict if USD loses, most people will say how USD proved it didn't belong in the playoffs. If USD wins most people will only talk about Davis having an off year and rather than giving credit where it's due will instead only talk negative about Davis. :)

Steve

Go Poly
November 21st, 2006, 12:47 AM
I previously predicted 28-14 Aggies but there is really no way to predict a score for teams that have never played and have no common opponents. The Aggies have played a tough schedule and Toreros have played a weak schedule but no one can really adequately determine how they will play each other. There are completely different motivations for both teams. The Aggies have a winning season and the last game at Toomey Field on the line. The Toreros want to prove they should have been in the playoffs. The Aggies have been very inconsistent but are also able to put up 45-0 against Montana State and 24-0 in one half against North Dakota State. The Toreros have been consistent but with a schedule that any good team should be consistent - a very predictable outcome.

It should be a very interesting game and if any of you from other colleges are in the area and get tired of turkey, drop by on Saturday for some real entertainment. This will be the playoffs for UC Davis and the first round for USD since they get one more round, win or lose.

You guys show these boys from San Diego what GWFC football is all about!
UCD 38 USD 10

DetroitFlyer
November 21st, 2006, 05:59 AM
What is the record of the PL champ? This process is 100% morally bankrupt!

Mr. C
November 21st, 2006, 06:22 AM
I used to spend a week in Davis every year when they had the big Volleyball Festival there at UC Davis before 4th of July weekend. It's a great town to tool around in. It is probably the most bicycle friendly town in America. A lot of good shopping in the downtown area and good restaurants. I remember there was a nice Korean restaurant just a few blocks off campus (it's been about 15 years since I've been there).

3yards
November 21st, 2006, 03:23 PM
UC Davis is an excellent team. They are playoff worthy with one of the most toughest schedules. They beat Montana State 45-0. MSU is in the playoffs. They played at Youngstown State who is in the playoffs. They were up 24-0 against NDSU who is arguably the best team in Divisin 1AA, only losing to Minnesota 10-9 I believe. If San Diego won by one point, it would be a great win for them, and playoff caliber. This talk about San Diego having to win by 4 touchdowns to make an impression is ridiculous. The Great West is a very tough conference and the teams beat each other up. Now that UC Davis will be eligible for the playoffs starting next year anticipate seeing them there most of the time. This game should be like a playoff game, and hopefully turns out to be a good one.

AggiePride
November 21st, 2006, 03:37 PM
What is the record of the PL champ? This process is 100% morally bankrupt!

:waawaa:

Russ B
November 21st, 2006, 03:45 PM
I used to spend a week in Davis every year when they had the big Volleyball Festival there at UC Davis before 4th of July weekend. It's a great town to tool around in. It is probably the most bicycle friendly town in America. A lot of good shopping in the downtown area and good restaurants. I remember there was a nice Korean restaurant just a few blocks off campus (it's been about 15 years since I've been there).

That restaurant is closed, but there's another one downtown.

Visitors should check out the Davis Wiki (http://daviswiki.org) site for a comprehensive list of restaurants with local reviews. :)

CKelly
November 21st, 2006, 05:05 PM
I'll be shocked if Davis wins by 28. Johnson is good enough to get USD into the endzone 2 or 3 times at least. Davis has some major advantages in the trenches though, which will probably lead to the demise of the Toreros. I'm not exactly sure how they will pressure Grant.

AggieFinn
November 21st, 2006, 05:14 PM
I'll be shocked if Davis wins by 28. Johnson is good enough to get USD into the endzone 2 or 3 times at least. Davis has some major advantages in the trenches though, which will probably lead to the demise of the Toreros. I'm not exactly sure how they will pressure Grant.

This is why I think Biggs may go to a SUU type game offense, running Nolan and Warren, keep that USD offense off the field, not make it a shoot out.

AggiePride
November 21st, 2006, 05:16 PM

My exact thoughts Chris.

CKelly
November 21st, 2006, 05:29 PM
This is why I think Biggs may go to a SUU type game offense, running Nolan and Warren, keep that USD offense off the field, not make it a shoot out.

Yeah I mentioned that this week in the column: I fully expect Biggs to pound the ball. USD can't do what NDSU/SDSU did either - not blitz and rely on the front four to get pressure allowing the other seven to drop into a soft zone in passing situations. Harbaugh is going to have to blitz - which wont work considering that Ags have allowed just 11 sacks all season. The key is Johnson - how much can he do offensively against this defense and how much time will he have? USD has solid skill players and they play hard. The talent along the line is average though.

GoAgs72
November 21st, 2006, 07:08 PM
Chris Kelly's column is at http://greatwestfootball.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112106aaa.html. Chris is pretty sharp and has a lot of inside information. He has predicted 34-21 Aggies. I'm sticking with 28-14.

3yards
November 21st, 2006, 07:33 PM
Chris Kelly's column is at http://greatwestfootball.cstv.com/sp...112106aaa.html. Chris is pretty sharp and has a lot of inside information. He has predicted 34-21 Aggies. I'm sticking with 28-14.

Interesting article, thanks for pointing it out.

windwalker
November 21st, 2006, 07:36 PM
Educate one of the new guys, please.

yep.. and we had a tendency to shoot off our mouths a little too much..
We fans have matured just as the team has.

:) :) :)

siugrad99
November 21st, 2006, 09:01 PM
What a minute isn't USD playing this Saturday ? Oh yeah.... ;)

SochorField
November 22nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
I really don't know enough about USD to make a score prediction.

USD is going to have to stop Grant from the throwing the ball all over the field. Lately, the Aggies have been putting up 100+ yards on the ground...against top competition.

Stopping USD's air attack makes me nervous. Excited to see Josh Johnson.

How big are the USD O and D lines? Any links to starting lineups/stats?

AggieFinn
November 22nd, 2006, 06:10 PM
University of San Diego Torero Football Main Site:
http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/usd-m-footbl-body.html

USD Forum:
http://www.toreronation.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=2

Jackluv
November 22nd, 2006, 07:30 PM
the scary thing is that if USD beats Davis, every USD fan in the nation is gonna say that would hav run the table in the playoffs this year.....i predict USD to lose by 21 to the 4th of out 5 ranked Great West team.....

i mean i think USD has a chance to win this game RIGHT NOW...Davis is down after a crappy second half of the season...

rvzlaw
November 22nd, 2006, 11:52 PM
I admit it's hard to gauge this matchup, but let's get real. San Diego has beaten one Ivy team and nine stiffs, albeit by large margins. But other teams, including many mediocre I-AA, Division II and III teams have also handily beaten USD's opponents. Here's a sample of how these other teams fared:

USD Opponent
Azusa Pacific lost 0-27 to USD; 7-57 to S. Oregon
Dixie State lost 7-41 to USD; 14-66 to N. Arizona
Drake lost 0-37 to USD; 7-48 to N. Iowa
Morehead St lost 21-44 to USD; 6-31 to W. Illinois
Jacksonville lost 21-38 to USD; 14-49 to Gardner-
Webb; 13-41 to SE La

USD gave up over 400 yards of offense to Morehead St and Jacksonville, which is noteworthy because these teams rank among the very bottom of I-AA. They're terrible. I suspect USD has a problem with team speed.

CKelly mentioned that he would be shocked if Davis won by 28 or more. While I'm sure USD has players that could play well at the I-AA level, the team speed issue is so glaring that it could snowball on USD, not unlike S. Dakota St getting beat by Davis 52-0 in 2004. Compounding this problem is that USD has not played a team that is close to Davis.

It will be interesting to see how far USD drops in the computer rankings.

GoAgs72
November 23rd, 2006, 02:56 PM
We've seen Jon Grant get rattled in a few games and start throwing errant passes and interceptions but against really good defenses. It will be a test of Josh Johnson's skills to see if he can remain composed aginst the pressure of the Aggie defense. Our defense will limit any rushing so it will be a passing game for USD. Hopefully Barsi will have another career day after 3 interceptions last week.

AggieFinn
November 25th, 2006, 10:30 AM
...It will be a test of Josh Johnson's skills to see if he can remain composed aginst the pressure of the Aggie defense. Our defense will limit any rushing so it will be a passing game for USD. Hopefully Barsi will have another career day after 3 interceptions last week.

I'm interested to see how the Ags do against the double threat Josh Johnson, even with good coverage, he can still gain a lot with his legs. Has UC Davis faced such an athlete at QB this season? I don't think they have. This may have to be the Josh Johnson day for USD to keep it close.

ucdtim17
November 25th, 2006, 12:20 PM
More front page press for JJ in the Bay Area:

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sports/ci_4720582

Apparently Marshawn Lynch will be taking in the grand finale at Toomey as well