PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette @ #3 Massachusetts

BigApp
November 19th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Discuss

PantherRob82
November 19th, 2006, 12:58 PM
I'm sure UMass doesn't like getting the 3 seed instead of #2. Going to Wash-Griz for the semis is never fun(if it lines up that way).

UMass should cruise in the 1st Round.

carney2
November 19th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Discuss? It's the number 3 seed vs. a team with a 6-5 record. A mismatch and a blowout, right? Frank Tavani wants everyone from Provincetown to Williamstown and from Springfield to Boston to believe that and not give it a second thought.

youwouldno
November 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM
I think UMass' side of the bracket is pretty favorable to them. I think the committee definitely wanted to set up App St v. UMass in Chatty, and I think UMass will hold up their end.

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2006, 01:07 PM
Discuss? It's the number 3 seed vs. a team with a 6-5 record. A mismatch and a blowout, right? Frank Tavani wants everyone from Provincetown to Williamstown and from Springfield to Boston to believe that and not give it a second thought.

Yeah, Delaware and Appalachain St. were licking their chops and instead they got a sour taste. We are in a very comfortable position, and in a familiar one to boot.

Of all three of our games, this is probably the one with a least likely win. Then again... it might therefore be the most likely. :rolleyes: :D

GO PARDS!

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2006, 01:11 PM
I think UMass' side of the bracket is pretty favorable to them. I think the committee definitely wanted to set up App St v. UMass in Chatty, and I think UMass will hold up their end.

Ummm.... Montana??

If anything, the committee wanted to see Montana-Appy... fans both travel well.

Sam Adams
November 19th, 2006, 01:19 PM
We should be able to handle Lafayette in the first round, but who knows? Looking forward to the challenge from the Pards.

UNHFan99
November 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM
I hope Umass and UNH hold up their ends in the first round which I am confident they will. If those teams meet again its going to be an incredible game.

letsgopards04
November 19th, 2006, 01:22 PM
Lets Go Pards. Does anyone know where I can get tickets.

Retro
November 19th, 2006, 01:27 PM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL95/5192267/12523693/206242304.jpg

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2006, 01:29 PM

That's what I'd like to know!

Historically speaking, there is usually information posted on the Lafayette website on Tuesday. However, UMass might put tickets on sale Monday or Tuesday.

Either way, I'll try to get to this one... hopefully on a one-day bus trip from Lafayette... I'd rather drive an hour west to PA for a bus than drive four hours north.

ngineer
November 19th, 2006, 01:31 PM
If the Lafayette team I saw yesterday shows up in Amherst, the Minutemen will have all they can handle. Any team with a stud running back and a big, tough OL can control the clock and keep the other team's offense off the field. Maurer is also more than capable of making things happen with his feet and his receivers. Yes, UMass should be favored, but I would expect a game very similar to what App. State ran into last year. Preliminarily, I would pick UMass by 7---but in any game where there can a single score difference, a turnover or two can make the difference. Would not be shocked at all with a Leopard win.

ngineer
November 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM
That's what I'd like to know!

Historically speaking, there is usually information posted on the Lafayette website on Tuesday. However, UMass might put tickets on sale Monday or Tuesday.

Either way, I'll try to get to this one... hopefully on a one-day bus trip from Lafayette... I'd rather drive an hour west to PA for a bus than drive four hours north.

I would think your Maroon Club would be throwing some kind of bus trip together. We did when we went to Hofstra a few years back--plus it inclueded the tickets.

blukeys
November 19th, 2006, 01:35 PM
The key for Lafayette against Maurer. He is capable of making some big plays and will have to. I don't see Lafayette winning a toe to toe physical matchup with UMASS but if Maurer can keep the Umass D off balance then anything is possible.

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM
I would think your Maroon Club would be throwing some kind of bus trip together. We did when we went to Hofstra a few years back--plus it inclueded the tickets.

Yeah, they did last year to Appalachain St. It was $330 or something like that... but this is alot closer, and should be a one day thing. I'd say $50, tickets.. AND boxed lunch. They are good like that. :D

PS... Planned on going to the Gridiron Classic Dec. 2... (San Diego at Monmouth)... might have second thoughts after Nov. 25!! :D

You should perhaps check that game out too ngineer.

Go...gate
November 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Lafayette can run the football and play decent defense. The game will be in a cold-weather site. They have a chance, but they must play very well - few mistakes and some help from their special teams.

LeopardFan04
November 19th, 2006, 04:13 PM
At the bottom of the Lafayette Athletics page they have 12pm listed, don't know if that's official yet or not...does UMass have lights? If not, the game would have to be at 12 or 1 I guess...CN8 has a game slotted at 12pm, so I wouldn't be suprised if this is their pick, since the only other A-10 game is at Hampton and that's further to go from one of their hqs than UMass..

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2006, 04:25 PM
Gonna be a tough game for sure.

Zangzigger
November 19th, 2006, 04:31 PM
does UMass have lights?

No

LehighFan11
November 19th, 2006, 04:41 PM
Lafayette dominated Lehigh yesturday with size. I have a feeling Umass will have more size than Lafayette. So they will need to play good pass D and hit some big pass plays down the field. I would expect Lafayette to be down a few points going into the 4th and then lose it beacuse of the size and depth. That is traditionly what happens to Lehigh and Lafayette v. top A-10 teams. Best of luck. Give the patriot league some respect!

Tubby Raymond
November 19th, 2006, 04:49 PM
A-10 by 20+:thumbsup:

Sam Adams
November 19th, 2006, 05:00 PM
UMASS will not do anything fancy. We will run the ball up the middle with Baylark and then look for opportunities downfield to our big WRs Rancher and Moore. On defense, UMASS will stop the run and force the Pards to try and win the game in the air.

carney2
November 19th, 2006, 05:00 PM

The following is from the Lafayette website:

More ticket information will be released on Monday at www.goleopards.com

We seem to have some support from the Lehigh folks. Most gratifying. I know that I'd be pulling an oar in their boat if things had gone the other way yesterday.

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2006, 05:44 PM
Thanks Tubby. We will be sure not to charter the busses! Didn't you predict a 62-7 drubbing by Delaware in 2004?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2006, 06:42 PM
The following is from the Lafayette website:

More ticket information will be released on Monday at www.goleopards.com

We seem to have some support from the Lehigh folks. Most gratifying. I know that I'd be pulling an oar in their boat if things had gone the other way yesterday.

Hey, no doubt I'll be pulling for you next Saturday. I hate losing to you, but once that's over, I root for my brother over ZooMass :)

Pard94
November 19th, 2006, 06:57 PM
The key for Lafayette against Maurer. He is capable of making some big plays and will have to. I don't see Lafayette winning a toe to toe physical matchup with UMASS but if Maurer can keep the Umass D off balance then anything is possible.

I disagree. I think if there is one thing Lafayette can do it is square off with just about anyone if you are talking about playing a physical, smashmouth type of game. I worry about Umass beating us with speed and athleticism at the skills positions.

Sam Adams
November 19th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I disagree. I think if there is one thing Lafayette can do it is square off with just about anyone if you are talking about playing a physical, smashmouth type of game. I worry about Umass beating us with speed and athleticism at the skills positions.

You should be worried about UMASS driving the field with its OLine and Steve Baylark. You should also be worried about the UMass Defense. Bread & Butter football.

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2006, 07:31 PM
Sam, I AM!!! Frank Tavani probably started watching tapes this morning!

bluehenbillk
November 19th, 2006, 07:39 PM
The UMass/UNH rematch should be a doozy.

carney2
November 19th, 2006, 07:42 PM
To me this smells a lot like the 2004 Delaware game where the Pards had to get out of character on both sides of the ball and make big plays to compete. I agree with Sam Adams. The smashmouth Pard offense has looked very good against some Patriot League competition over the past few weeks, but this will be a much larger mountain to climb. On defense, none of us has been overjoyed with this year's performance. John Loose needs to take some serious but calculated risks to keep this competitive.

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2006, 07:48 PM
Didnt John come from UMass?

cosmo here
November 19th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Didnt John come from UMass?

nope, West Point. that's where he learned how to shut down the option.

GannonFan
November 19th, 2006, 08:26 PM
While this game should be easy enough for UMass, remember, UMass doesn't have a great history against Patriot League teams in the playoffs. Assuming UMass doesn't have bus trouble getting to the game, and being at home that shouldn't happen, UMass by 2 TD's.

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2006, 10:22 PM
While this game should be easy enough for UMass, remember, UMass doesn't have a great history against Patriot League teams in the playoffs. Assuming UMass doesn't have bus trouble getting to the game, and being at home that shouldn't happen, UMass by 2 TD's.

Being a Delaware fan, I thought you would know better from two years ago. Pards always show-up.

..and that only applies to Colgate. That was a funny story though. However, UMass did take down Lehigh in the late 90s in Amherst.

My only hope is that we don't pull a Colgate '05.

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2006, 10:29 PM
To me this smells a lot like the 2004 Delaware game where the Pards had to get out of character on both sides of the ball and make big plays to compete. I agree with Sam Adams. The smashmouth Pard offense has looked very good against some Patriot League competition over the past few weeks, but this will be a much larger mountain to climb. On defense, none of us has been overjoyed with this year's performance. John Loose needs to take some serious but calculated risks to keep this competitive.

Big play memory... Maurer threads the neddle to Stanford on 4th and 18 to keep the game alive, late 4th quarter.. perfect pass.. between two defenders... just beyond their grasp for an interception. Only Stanford could catch it. Of course, the mystery fumble occured two plays later...

chiapet9
November 19th, 2006, 10:55 PM
UMass couldn't have drawn an easier team...unless they drew Hampton. but in all seriousness....the Minutemen will win big and will play at home against (most likely) UNH. and oh what a rematch that will be.

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2006, 11:05 PM
A-10 by 20+:thumbsup:

Unless UMass shows up totally flat, I don't see this one being close. Lafayette was 6-5 against a very weak schedule. 1-4 OOC, 0-4 against Ivy League. Only played and beat one schlorship team- Sacred Heart- a very weak (2-9) partial schlorship team from the NEC. IMHO the minimum 7Div I win recquirement should be enforced for all playoff participants- AQs and at large.

LeopardFan04
November 19th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Unless UMass shows up totally flat, I don't see this one being close. Lafayette was 6-5 against a very weak schedule. 1-4 OOC, 0-4 against Ivy League. Only played and beat one schlorship team- Sacred Heart- a very weak (2-9) partial schlorship team from the NEC. IMHO the minimum 7Div I win recquirement should be enforced for all playoff participants- AQs and at large.

Obviously I hope that you are wrong...we've been a different team the last month...and while it will be a huge challenge...if we can stay away from mistakes and get some luck, you never know...as Kenny Mayne says, "Games aren't played on paper, they're played inside TV sets..." xlolx

Tribe4SF
November 19th, 2006, 11:31 PM
I don't know alot about the personnel on this Lafayette team (other than Maurer), but I've seen UMass, and they are very good in all phases of the game. By far the most physical team in the A-10, with plenty of speed. I'll be surprised if the Pards can hang with them.

ChickenMan
November 20th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Lafayette was good enough to win a weak Pat League this year... but I don't think that this LU team is nearly as good as the Leopard teams that played UD in '04 and ASU last year. If UMass' offense... which has been mediocre in recent weeks... shows up the Minutemen shouldn't have too much trouble vs Lafayette.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Lafayette was good enough to win a weak Pat League this year... but I don't think that this LU team is nearly as good as the Leopard teams that played UD in '04 and ASU last year. If UMass' offense... which has been mediocre in recent weeks... shows up the Minutemen shouldn't have too much trouble vs Lafayette.

I agree with you on not being as strong as 04 and 05... but we really ahve stepped it up the past few weeks and given our emotional and dominant Lehigh peformance, we will be ready Saturday. Lehigh did beat Villanova... and the Wildcats had a respectable year.

Mediocre UMass offense? That might just be our window... I've seen there scores recently.. very close... who knows.. :rolleyes:

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 09:50 AM

*sigh*.. ignorance..

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM
UMass couldn't have drawn an easier team...unless they drew Hampton. but in all seriousness....the Minutemen will win big and will play at home against (most likely) UNH. and oh what a rematch that will be.

Are you an 04 Delaware fan and 05 App fan in disguise? Sounds awfully familiar... :rolleyes:

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 09:56 AM
P4L, I haven't seen any App fans who disrespect the Pards. There still are UD fans who do, however.

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM
*sigh*.. ignorance..

not ignorance...you lost 5 games - in a row. and your wins were against weak teams. UMass has been at the top of the GPI most of the season. you can say they had a tough road at the end of the season - but against UNH who was ranked and against Maine who was playing for all the marbles to get into the playoffs.

UMass is good this year...i don't know if they'll go all the way. but they'll beat Lafayette. no question about it.

umassfan
November 20th, 2006, 09:57 AM
I agree with you on not being as strong as 04 and 05... but we really ahve stepped it up the past few weeks and given our emotional and dominant Lehigh peformance, we will be ready Saturday. Lehigh did beat Villanova... and the Wildcats had a respectable year.

Mediocre UMass offense? That might just be our window... I've seen there scores recently.. very close... who knows.. :rolleyes:
I think you should be more worried about scoring points against our D then what our O has been up to. We dont give up only 12 pts per game on accident.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 09:59 AM
P4L, I haven't seen any App fans who disrespect the Pards. There still are UD fans who do, however.

This is true, App fans are great... I was referring to the week before our game vs. them.

letsgopards04
November 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM
I respectfully disagree with the comment that just because we played 4 Ivies that makes our schedule easy. We played the top 4 in the Ivy. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton all had 1 or 2 losses I believe. The last I checked at least 2 of them were ranked. That doesn't sound easy. The Patriot League may have been down this year but it sure was competitive. Lafayette was only in a position to go to the playoffs because of Colgate's upset of Holy Cross. I think UMASS should be very afraid and not take us for granted. This year we can pass the ball well. Mauer was 20-24 against Lehigh.

I'm thinking about going to the game. What sections are for visitors at the UMASS stadium?

ON LAFAYETTE, ON LAFAYETTE!!!

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 10:02 AM
I respectfully disagree with the comment that just because we played 4 Ivies that makes our schedule easy. We played the top 4 in the Ivy. Harvard, Yale, and Princeton all had 1 or 2 losses I believe. The last I checked at least 2 of them were ranked. That doesn't sound easy. The Patriot League may have been down this year but it sure was competitive. Lafayette was only in a position to go to the playoffs because of Colgate's upset of Holy Cross. I think UMASS should be very afraid and not take us for granted. This year we can pass the ball well. Mauer was 20-24 against Lehigh.

I'm thinking about going to the game. What sections are for visitors at the UMASS stadium?

Lets Go 04, I think I calculated after Saturday the combined records of the Ivies we played was 29-11, with Penn clearly in the rear at 5-5.

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Are you an 04 Delaware fan and 05 App fan in disguise? Sounds awfully familiar... :rolleyes:

uh - no. graduated from JMU...went to the '04 game in Tennessee...JMU fan all the way.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 10:04 AM
not ignorance...you lost 5 games - in a row. and your wins were against weak teams. UMass has been at the top of the GPI most of the season. you can say they had a tough road at the end of the season - but against UNH who was ranked and against Maine who was playing for all the marbles to get into the playoffs.

UMass is good this year...i don't know if they'll go all the way. but they'll beat Lafayette. no question about it.

Yeah we did lose five in a row.. awhile ago. All were against top teams, and all were very close games. We finally gelled together, with both units playing on the same page (our big problem before).

Same thing was said last year.. we lost to top Ivy teams.. only beating Columbia.. played at Marist... those two wins vs. weak teams... gave us the two extra wins the past two seasons... this year... those two games were replaced with Ivy powers Penn and Yale... both tough losses...

So frankly, we are virtually in the same position this year as last year and the year before....

It is just tiring to hear the same line over and over and over... when it is clearly not true. The Pards can play in the playoffs. App St. played LSU to the wire AT LSU last year... do you think we were intimidated? No..

The playoffs are a different story, anything is possible. All I know is we will be ready to play.

umassfan
November 20th, 2006, 10:09 AM

Your QB numbers are not great for passing the ball... 11 tds to 9 ints is not a great ratio. Coen for umass has 20 tds to 4 ints.

As for the visitors side... there are 9500 seats on the visitors side.

cosmo here
November 20th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Your QB numbers are not great for passing the ball... 11 tds to 9 ints is not a great ratio. Coen for umass has 20 tds to 4 ints.

we don't throw for a lot of TDs because we don't throw the ball into the end zone, we run it. Hurt 15 TDs, Maurer 5, Russo 5, White 4 . . that's 29 TDs with most of them from 20 yards and in.

umassfan
November 20th, 2006, 10:13 AM
we don't throw for a lot of TDs because we don't throw the ball into the end zone, we run it. Hurt 15 TDs, Maurer 5, Russo 5, White 4 . . that's 29 TDs with most of them from 20 yards and in.
Well have fun running the ball vs the strength of our defense. UMass likes to shut down Pat league overrated RBs. Just ask Mr Colgate(Branch) from years past.

cosmo here
November 20th, 2006, 10:15 AM
Well have fun running the ball vs the strength of our defense. UMass likes to shut down Pat league overrated RBs. Just ask Mr Colgate(Branch) from years past.

yeah, how did that game work out for you a couple years ago?

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 10:16 AM

Hmmm... Coen sounds alot like Sedale Threatt's numbers to me.. :rolleyes:

Not great passing the ball?! I guess you are not reading between the lines at all. Maurer is teh msot efficent passer in school history... 61%... he was 20-24 in teh Lehigh game.. and in the games before that, he has only missed 6-8 passes per game. He has gone over 300 yards are few times... and we are a rushing team in the red-zone. That TD-INT ratio does not tell the full story.

Well I can tell you we won't fill the visitor's side. Reserve a small corner square for us. :D

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 10:17 AM

I believe this is Mr. 13's 'friend' :rolleyes:

umassfan
November 20th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Hmmm... Coen sounds alot like Sedale Threatt's numbers to me.. :rolleyes:

Not great passing the ball?! I guess you are not reading between the lines at all. Maurer is teh msot efficent passer in school history... 61%... he was 20-24 in teh Lehigh game.. and in the games before that, he has only missed 6-8 passes per game. He has gone over 300 yards are few times... and we are a rushing team in the red-zone. That TD-INT ratio does not tell the full story.

Well I can tell you we won't fill the visitor's side. Reserve a small corner square for us. :D
Yes but he has done that vs a weak Pat league schedule.

umassfan
November 20th, 2006, 10:18 AM
We wont have to worry bout snow this year.

cosmo here
November 20th, 2006, 10:19 AM
We wont have to worry bout snow this year.

yeah, it sucks that Mother Nature stole a national championship from you. forecast calls for rain this weekend in Amherst . .

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 10:21 AM
How many UMass fans do you expect for the game?

Lafayette71
November 20th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Lafayette will be able to move the Ball. UMASS is real tough up front, and they will want to play the physical style that they have played all year. I think some A-10 fans will be surprised how well Lafayette can match up up front on offense. Hurt is a bruiser and the O line has size and experience and play well together. I don't think anyone other than the homers will argue that UMASS is a tougher place to play than App St. I think the real advantage that UMASS will have is at the skill positions when they have the ball. If they need to I think the minutemen can and will open it up a little on offense.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Yes but he has done that vs a weak Pat league schedule.

YAWN... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DrG
November 20th, 2006, 10:56 AM
How many UMass fans do you expect for the game?
With the students gone, I'd be surprised if attendance was more than 8-9,000.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 11:08 AM

Sounds right... Delaware had lots of empty seats in 2004... and I heard App St. had seats left last year.. both are top venues...

welcome aboard DrG!

carney2
November 20th, 2006, 11:08 AM
Just taking my new avatar out for a walk. Whaddya think? Thanks LF04.

DrG
November 20th, 2006, 11:16 AM
Sounds right... Delaware had lots of empty seats in 2004... and I heard App St. had seats left last year.. both are top venues...

welcome aboard DrG!
Thanks. I am not taking this game for granted. Looking ahead to a UNH rematch would be very dangerous.

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 11:17 AM
EXCELLENT!! I wish I knew how to do that stuff!! My helmet one is looking old!

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Thanks. I am not taking this game for granted. Looking ahead to a UNH rematch would be very dangerous.

And Dr.G I know we must put together a MONSTER game at UMass to be in it...Tavani, Heffner & Loose must be burning the midnight oil.

LeopardFan04
November 20th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Just taking my new avatar out for a walk. Whaddya think? Thanks LF04.

I love it! Feel free to use any of the pictures that I've taken and posted...:hurray:

LeopardFan04
November 20th, 2006, 11:25 AM
EXCELLENT!! I wish I knew how to do that stuff!! My helmet one is looking old!

Go to your user cp, and click edit avatar...from there you can upload a picture from your computer to add...

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Cool! Ok, thx LF04. Will attempt it tonight cause I am on company's computer now. Hard to get work done today cause all I am thinking is "UMass, UMass"!! Maybe I should have been a coach! I did coach an IM team my senior year and we were undefeated! Also took over coaching an IM team at the Washington Semester program after it started 0-2 and we finished 2-2-1. My assistant in D.C. was Jay Feaster, now GM of the Tampa Bay Lighting who won a Stanley Cup in 2004. Hehe, he still calls me "Coach" and gets a big Feaster laugh out of it!

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Cool! Ok, thx LF04. Will attempt it tonight cause I am on company's computer now. Hard to get work done today cause all I am thinking is "UMass, UMass"!! Maybe I should have been a coach! I did coach an IM team my senior year and we were undefeated! Also took over coaching an IM team at the Washington Semester program after it started 0-2 and we finished 2-2-1. My assistant in D.C. was Jay Feaster, now GM of the Tampa Bay Lighting who won a Stanley Cup in 2004. Hehe, he still calls me "Coach" and gets a big Feaster laugh out of it!

Cool! I'd covet any pro sports job.. :rotateh:

Didn't think they'd have hockey guys in DC though..

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 11:46 AM
He was from Susquehanna Univ. It was the Washington Semester program at American University where college students from all around the country went for a semester and they had specialty areas like govt., journalism, law. He was in the same hall as me. We both were in the gov program. Also in that program and in the room next to me was Michael Smerconish, the conservative talking head. So I coached the Washington Senators IM program against the other IM teams at American University after the then coach quit as the team stumbled to a 0-2 start and dissension reigned. Jay Feaster was my assistant. We put it together and went 2-0-1. Benched a QB who was a second stringer at his college in favor of a third stringer at another school. Feaster actually got into law, hated it, but always loved hockey and so became a general counsel for the Hershey Bears hockey team. He quickly moved into the GM role there as he knew personnel, etc. Then he was hired by the Lightning.

carney2
November 20th, 2006, 12:02 PM
I love it! Feel free to use any of the pictures that I've taken and posted...:hurray:

I also love it. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the same impact in the avatar box as in your larger rendition. When I get some time I may run it through CS2 for some cropping and who knows what other "enhancements."

There, I did the cropping. Much better.

LeopardFan04
November 20th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Great Editing Carney...

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 01:29 PM
He was from Susquehanna Univ. It was the Washington Semester program at American University where college students from all around the country went for a semester and they had specialty areas like govt., journalism, law. He was in the same hall as me. We both were in the gov program. Also in that program and in the room next to me was Michael Smerconish, the conservative talking head. So I coached the Washington Senators IM program against the other IM teams at American University after the then coach quit as the team stumbled to a 0-2 start and dissension reigned. Jay Feaster was my assistant. We put it together and went 2-0-1. Benched a QB who was a second stringer at his college in favor of a third stringer at another school. Feaster actually got into law, hated it, but always loved hockey and so became a general counsel for the Hershey Bears hockey team. He quickly moved into the GM role there as he knew personnel, etc. Then he was hired by the Lightning.

Intersting... where'd he go to law school?

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Georgetown! He roots for LC he says cause I'm from there!

GannonFan
November 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM

I'd be shocked if it was that high - 6k would be my guess. Hey, UD only gets 13-14k for a first round game, even Montana doesn't sell out (maybe 17-18k for a first round) - it's just too tough not knowing you'll even have a home game and then you throw Thanksgiving weekend and maybe even bad weather into play - it has nothing to do with the school but just a fact of life. I'm sticking with 6k though and that'll be about average for the first round.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Maroon Club travel package up...

forget this... I'm driving!

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 03:22 PM
P4L, how much are they charging? Damn, maybe you are better off flying to BTV and driving down. Doesnt JetBlue go EWR>BTV??

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 03:26 PM
P4L, how much are they charging? Damn, maybe you are better off flying to BTV and driving down. Doesnt JetBlue go EWR>BTV??

What's BTV? Hartford?

They are doing an an overnight trip... so it's $175 for a double... I don't know why it's overnight... leave Friday, come back Saturday night.

I was hoping they do a one day bus-trip... makes sense...

From my place, it's 3hr 25min to Amhert... driving at my speed.. it's three hours...

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Ah just saw this... A one-day travel package is also being considered and would include a ticket to the game. Fans interested in a one-day package should also contact East Coast Touring at (800) 943-0071 immediately.

Sam Adams
November 20th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Unless you have a private jet which you could land at Northampton, The best airport to fly into is Bradley. 45 minutes away.

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 03:41 PM
BTV = Burlington, VT. Then just drop down on the I-91. Should be cheap fare. Also, they may want to go up the night before in case of traffic, blowout, accident, etc.

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 03:42 PM
Sam how far is BTV? Bradley = BDL.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 03:46 PM
BTV = Burlington, VT. Then just drop down on the I-91. Should be cheap fare. Also, they may want to go up the night before in case of traffic, blowout, accident, etc.

Ouch, that's a long drive.

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 04:34 PM
How far?

letsgopards04
November 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM
I'm gonna be in Albany visiting the folks. It's only 90 min for me.

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Damnit! How do you always luck out like that!!! The wife doesn't mind?

UMass922
November 20th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Burlington would be a 2+ hour drive to Amherst.

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 05:25 PM
Frick! Better go to Hartford if I'm going to fly. Now to see if seats! DAMNIT - wish Southwest flew PHL>ALB!!! They don't. Not much demand for weekend tix on that route over Thanksgiving.

UMass922
November 20th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Frick! Better go to Hartford if I'm going to fly. Now to see if seats! DAMNIT - wish Southwest flew PHL>ALB!!! They don't. Not much demand for weekend tix on that route over Thanksgiving.

The drive from Albany to Amherst wouldn't really be any shorter than the drive from Bradley to Amherst. Might even be a little bit longer, actually.

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 05:43 PM
Thx 922, but the only carrier to serve ALB from Philly (PHL) is USAir and they are looking for a fortune (cause: no competition).

UMass922
November 20th, 2006, 05:54 PM
Thx 922, but the only carrier to serve ALB from Philly (PHL) is USAir and they are looking for a fortune (cause: no competition).

What I'm saying is that it doesn't really matter, because Hartford/Bradley Intl. is actually a little bit closer to Amherst than Albany is anyway. So you're just as well flying into Hartford.

Anyway, enjoy the game, however you end up getting there. Wish I weren't so far away and so poor. My only chance of seeing UMass in person this year is if they make it to Chattanooga.

Ozzie
November 20th, 2006, 11:57 PM
Welcome all Lafayette fans to Amherst. It's a great place to visit. Hope you can stay the weekend. If it's good weather, I estimate the crowd to be about 10,000 since the students won't be around.

Disclaimer: I know very little about Lafayette this year, but here is my outlook on the game. UMass has a lot of speed and talent on both sides of the football this year. It will be tough to run the ball on our D. I think Lafayette will have to play its best to beat the Minutemen. That being said, UMass has not played well since the 1st half of the UNH game. Good enough to win, but not good enough to advance too far in the playoffs. If Umass can continue to play well on D and take care of the ball on O, I see a 31-17 game. Maybe even closer since UMass hasn't been able to put anyone away for the last month or so.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2006, 08:36 AM

I hate the airlines in this country. We seriously need high-speed rail.

Pards Rule
November 21st, 2006, 08:50 AM
Indeed P4L...Ozzie, I will let some of the more knowlegeable folks address your question.

letsgopards04
November 21st, 2006, 09:44 AM
High Speed Rail is the future but our infrastructure is so outdated it would cost a fortune to lay new track. Let us harness the power of magnets today.

Pard4Life
November 21st, 2006, 04:01 PM
High Speed Rail is the future but our infrastructure is so outdated it would cost a fortune to lay new track. Let us harness the power of magnets today.

Yeah, that is partially true. Much of our rail infrastructure is built on 1920s Pennsy equipment. MAGLEV is being experimented with out in Pittsburgh. Europeans have high-speed i.e. TGV, Thalys because their infrastructure was destroyed by war and could rebuild easier, and massive state subsidies.

Pards Rule
November 22nd, 2006, 02:18 PM
Hey, what is the link to Umass' board??

LeopardFan04
November 22nd, 2006, 04:51 PM
Wow...the athletics dept. has a 61 page postseason guide on the website similar in from to the weekly notes, but larger, and more pictures and info...kind of more like a yearbook...here's the link:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/lafa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/PostseasonGuide06.pdf

LeopardFan04
November 22nd, 2006, 04:52 PM
Regular notes are up too...

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/lafa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/Massachusetts06.pdf

LeopardFan04
November 22nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
here's the UMass notes from their site:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/umas/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/LAF.pdf

Go...gate
November 22nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
You should be worried about UMASS driving the field with its OLine and Steve Baylark. You should also be worried about the UMass Defense. Bread & Butter football.

You are right; you beat us with old-fashioned football in our game. Lafayette is a little bigger, though, and that may make a difference.

saint0917
November 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
Hey, what is the link to Umass' board??

Umas Board (http://umasshoops.com/board/index.php?sid=39de646054f2cb880cef472591663672)

YoUDeeMan
November 22nd, 2006, 05:48 PM

My area has a very good train system based upon magnets. I can look right over my shoulder as I type and see Brio and Thomas equipment everywhere. :smiley_wi

This weekend, we're headed to the Wilmington and Western RR for a fun ride on the old steam engine. If it were up to my son, he'd take the train just about everywhere. :nod: