PDA

View Full Version : James Madison @ #4 Youngstown

Pages : [1] 2

BigApp
November 19th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Discuss

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Gotta say this is the game of the playoffs!

bandl
November 19th, 2006, 12:49 PM
This might be the best game to watch...unfortunately, it's a round or two too early. These two teams should not be playing such a tough game this early.

th0m
November 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM
No other first round game comes even close. Should be a great one. Just didn't think of this as a first round match-up! Hell, this would be a great championship game!

JMUSaxMRD
November 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM
MRD's are going to YOUNGSTOWN! Although I think JMU was very deserving of a home game.

JohnStOnge
November 19th, 2006, 12:52 PM
I agree. Going in this appears to be the most interesting first round matchup. Is it going to be on TV?

PantherRob82
November 19th, 2006, 12:53 PM
This should not be a first round match-up. JMU should've been at home and YSU should've gotten a little easier draw.

mcveyrl
ESPN2 7:30 Saturday night

chiapet9
how does UNH get to play Hampton....

JMU BEAT UNH. and we get the shaft to play in Ohio....

#5 vs. #4....in the first round. ridiculous.

the champion will come out of this bracket...

AppSt. YSU. JMU.

GoGuins
November 19th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Looking at the projected weather for next Sat, 45 deg with 30% showers

I'm going to go get my tix tomorrow.

This is the first time YSU has hosted a ployoff game on Thanksgiving weekend since 1997 (Hampton)

Tribe4SF
JMU's AD must have sold Mickey down the river with a weak bid. Outbid by Hampton? Mickey will be ready to kill!

chiapet9
yeah - sucks that YSU didn't get an easier draw. but at least they get the home field advantage.

Daved
November 19th, 2006, 12:56 PM
No other first round game comes even close. Should be a great one. Just didn't think of this as a first round match-up! Hell, this would be a great championship game!Agree with you 100% I surely didn't expect this game in the first round-we will definitely have our hands full.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 19th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Mickey Matthews on this game, "I don't know what JMU could have done to upset the NCAA to not ever get a home game, but we'll go where they tell us to."

That about sums it up... why does a top 10 team get the No. 4 team in the first round? $$$$ and TV. Way to go CS... just try to be like the BCS and do it for the money... BOOOO!!!!!

chiapet9
November 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
who says there's no BS in the CS.

hampton getting a home game over JMU is definitely BS.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 19th, 2006, 12:58 PM
JMU's AD must have sold Mickey down the river with a weak bid. Outbid by Hampton? Mickey will be ready to kill!

Even if Hampton outbid us... how does UNH get to go to Hampton???

th0m
It's all about the $$$.

Although, for me since I won't be able to attend the game anyway, at least I can watch it on the Deuce.

chiapet9
its ok though - we went on the road for 3 straight games before Chattanooga last time...

we can do it again :-)

redbirdtim
This is going to be a great game. If I can't watch it live, I will be taping it to watch later. I think YSU and JMU both have a tough road ahead of them for the title. Have to play each other, possibly a re-match with the Redbirds, and then a match against App. St in the final 4.

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/6607/espn2aj4.jpg

THIS IS A TREMENDOUS MATCHUP... GO PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TypicalTribe
November 19th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Even if Hampton outbid us... how does UNH get to go to Hampton???

There is simply no good explanation for this matchup. JMU beats UNH convincingly at UNH and finishes with a better record overall as well and yet UNH gets the gift of a trip to Hampton while JMU has to go to YSU. An absolute joke of a matchup from the committee.

dbackjon
November 19th, 2006, 01:10 PM
Should be a great game.

WrenFGun
I can't believe UNH didn't draw YSU, the way it turned out.

JMU should be hosting Hampton, and UNH should be at YSU. No doubt.

CentDukesFan
YSU: now youre in big big trouble

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM
I don't think we're in any trouble my friend. We beat Illinois State when they were ranked #3 and beat Southern Illinois when ranked #12.... Beat UC-Davis when they were ranked #15...

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 01:13 PM
http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/6607/espn2aj4.jpg

THIS IS A TREMENDOUS MATCHUP... GO PENGUINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This should be a great game.

So much for regional matchups.....Furman to Montana St........

Johnny5
November 19th, 2006, 01:14 PM
This is definately the game of the week in Playoffs!

Retro
November 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL95/5192267/12523693/206242316.jpg

CentDukesFan
November 19th, 2006, 01:21 PM
I don't think we're in any trouble my friend. We beat Illinois State when they were ranked #3 and beat Southern Illinois when ranked #12.... Beat UC-Davis when they were ranked #15...

no trust me

youre in big big big trouble

JMU Duke Dog
November 19th, 2006, 01:23 PM
I can't believe UNH didn't draw YSU, the way it turned out.

JMU should be hosting Hampton, and UNH should be at YSU. No doubt.

Well when Hampton's coach/AD is an advisor to the committee...

JMU_Fan_2007
November 19th, 2006, 01:24 PM
YSU beware. You don't want to piss JMU off. We all know what happened last time JMU got pissed off about playing on the road. I think there's little questions that this game was picked in order to get national exposure in the first round, but I'm proud to see the dukes on national TV Thanksgiving weekend in primetime. I mean, not even the championship game gets a prime time Saturday slot.

But really, I think committee wants JMU to win it all agian. You should have seen Coach Matthews...

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 01:28 PM
Hey.. Everyone is forgetting:
YSU IS 12-1 AT STAMBAUGH IN THE PLAYOFFS WINNING 12 IN A ROW!!!!

chiapet9
November 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM
well then now seems like as good a time as any for JMU to break that streak.

th0m
November 19th, 2006, 01:30 PM
We've won 4 straight on the road...

Crowd should not be a problem, I don't see Stambaugh selling out, esp. because it's on TV. Should be a sweet game between two of the greatest conferences.

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 01:32 PM
We've won 4 straight on the road...

Crowd should not be a problem, I don't see Stambaugh selling out, esp. because it's on TV. Should be a sweet game between two of the greatest conferences.

Will be loud and rocking though, I will make sure to get the people on their feets... I will be pleased with 16-18,000.

And BTW: YSU has won 4 in a row on the road too......of course we lost to PSU......

Madisonian
November 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Funny... we have similar stats:

Over #1 UNH 42 - 23
Over #13 UR 27 - 10

-Both on the road/both were homecoming games. We look forward to you hosting us... followed promptly by a loss to the DUUUUUUUUUKES!!!

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I'm still in shock over the draw...............Dukes back on the road.....

JMUSaxMRD
November 19th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Matthews was livid from what i've heard... watch out YSU, Virginia's Finest (both the marching band and the football team) are so coming your way

Madisonian
November 19th, 2006, 01:43 PM
YSU beware. You don't want to piss JMU off. We all know what happened last time JMU got pissed off about playing on the road. I think there's little questions that this game was picked in order to get national exposure in the first round, but I'm proud to see the dukes on national TV Thanksgiving weekend in primetime. I mean, not even the championship game gets a prime time Saturday slot.

But really, I think committee wants JMU to win it all agian. You should have seen Coach Matthews...

I love that guy... No doubt Mickey will be screaming about lack of respect, having to get dressed in the parking lot, etc. Mickey will use this to fire up the away team. I hope we play every game on the road. :hurray: GO DUUUUUUUKES!!!!

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Good.. Listen I know JMU is good and my prediction will be by a score or less. But you guys come on here and act like you will just tramp onto Stambaugh and beat us where we play best: Acting as if the fact we are the GATEWAY CHAMPS Means nothing.

Well All I gotta say is this: To be called the best you must beat the best... It was either some OVC school or UNH/JMU-->I will take the better competition anyday!

chiapet9
November 19th, 2006, 01:50 PM
well then it will be two teams playing their best. so big deal if YSU plays best at home in Stambaugh. JMU plays best when they're pissed the *&$% off. and you better believe they're pissed about making a 7 hour trip to Youngstown next saturday.

JMUSaxMRD
November 19th, 2006, 01:53 PM
The trip is 5 hrs and 21 minutes from harrisonburg, so JMU better come and represent us like we did in Richmond. JMU's football team has a much different attitude toward matches than their fans, so us talking trash means nothing about the team, but when Matthews is livid, you had best watch out. This game is going to be insane.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I'm not upset with the draw even though these are two highly ranked teams and you would expect this in the second round. I'm highly disappointed that we did not get a home game......

JMU should get the second round home game after we beat YSU....right?

Go Dukes

Mountaineer
November 19th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Gee whiz, I'm glad JMU is even allowing YSU to play. :eyebrow:

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Gee whiz, I'm glad JMU is even allowing YSU to play. :eyebrow:
LOL......gotta be confident......

JMUTuba
November 19th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Matthews was livid from what i've heard... watch out YSU, Virginia's Finest (both the marching band and the football team) are so coming your way

Is the whole marching band going?

Mountaineer
November 19th, 2006, 02:02 PM
I agree, but damn..it's not like Youngstown is San Diego ;) ..I think they'll be just as fired up and ready to go as the Dukes.

Should be a good one.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 02:04 PM
I agree, but damn..it's not like Youngstown is San Diego ;) ..I think they'll be just as fired up and ready to go as the Dukes.

Should be a good one.
This should be the best game in the first round.....and I would say it's a toss up........................

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Youngstown State won THEEEE Gateway Conference: OUTRIGHT. We were 9-2 with our only losses to Penn State and well a pathetic showing vs. Northern Iowa: but I digress since we are 0-6 vs. UNI under Heacock.

But gee wiz JMU Fans: You have won nothing and their is a reason YSU has the seed right now over JMU.... Ever think of that... YSU is a very tough place to play: just ask SIU in the 4th quarter.

I will make sure I get the fans up all game long to make it near impossible for you guys to hear!!!
GO PENGUINS---AND WE WILL SHOW UP!

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 19th, 2006, 02:06 PM

You're going to have a team of very angry Dukes coming into your house looking for somthing to mess up... :cool:

howvan
November 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
I don't think Ytown has seen anything like this in a long time. Hopefully the teams cuts out Thanksgiving and practices instead. We need to pack the stadium in, especially if JMU is bringing their 300+ marching band. As a band fan, this is very exciting. Having the whole day to tailgate and then turn on the lights at Stambaugh will equal an amazing atmosphere. I predict a very high scoring game.

JMUSaxMRD
November 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM
The band is taking about 140 of us, because it is thanksgiving weekend and not everyone can make it back for the game. We have nothing? Try beating a #1 ranked team during the season. The only reason we don't have a seed was cause we had a huge mental slip vs villanova and lost by 1 point, which fired us up more than you can believe. I'm just saying watchout. Its gonna be a good game.

JMUfan2008
November 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Youngstown State won THEEEE Gateway Conference: OUTRIGHT. We were 9-2 with our only losses to Penn State and well a pathetic showing vs. Northern Iowa: but I digress since we are 0-6 vs. UNI under Heacock.

But gee wiz JMU Fans: You have won nothing and their is a reason YSU has the seed right now over JMU.... Ever think of that... YSU is a very tough place to play: just ask SIU in the 4th quarter.

I will make sure I get the fans up all game long to make it near impossible for you guys to hear!!!

the reason you have the seed over JMU is because we lost by one point to Villinova in a rather poor showing on our part. One point and we would have the seed over you....without a wrong block in the back call or without one of our 2 fumbles in that game, we would have the #4 seed....ever think of that? but you know what...we lost that game, and because of that, we're fired up, and then to add to that, we got cheated by the selection committee and have to play away. you better believe our team is livid...i was standing 5 feet away from him when it was announced...he was not happy at all...you better believe we're gonna be up for this game. i'm not counting ysu out by any means, but count on us bringing our A+ game, there will be no slacking off this week

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
http://ysusports.com/football/top-photos/announcement.jpg

Dukes_Bando
November 19th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Is the whole marching band going?
Not likely... there's gonna be a volunteer pep-band probably about 150-200 strong going, Similar to what we did for furman in 2004, ask furman if the band helped. :nod:

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM
PRESS RELEASE FROM YSUSPORTS.COM

Youngstown – The Youngstown State football team, the 2006 Gateway Football Conference Regular-Season Champions, earned the No. 4 seed and will host James Madison in the first round of the NCAA Division I Football Championship, Saturday, Nov. 25, at Stambaugh Stadium, the NCAA announced Sunday. Kickoff is slated for 7:30 p.m. will be broadcast nationally on ESPN2.

The Penguins (9-2) earned the Gateway's automatic bid by going 6-1 in league play and are making their 11th appearance in the playoffs and first since 2000.

James Madison (9-2) earned one of eight at-large bids and ranked seventh in the latest SportsNetwork Top 25 poll.

This will be the fourth meeting between Youngstown State and James Madison but the first in the postseason. YSU owns 2-1 advantage in the all-time series. The last time these two schools met was during a the 1992 season when JMU came away with a 52-49 victory at Stambaugh Stadium. YSU defeated the Dukes, 28-21, in 1991 at Stambaugh, and 31-15, in Harrisonburg, Va., in 1990

Youngstown State has won four national titles (1991, 1993, 1994, 1997) and two national runners-up (1992, 1999) and owns a Division I Football Championship playoff record of 23-6.

The YSU Athletic Ticket Office has expanded its office to the following:

Monday, Nov. 20: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Tuesday, Nov. 21: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Wednesday: Nov. 22: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Thursday, Nov. 23: Closed

Friday, Nov. 24: 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.

Saturday, Nov. 25: 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.

CentDukesFan
November 19th, 2006, 02:17 PM
im counting YSU out on this one

no way in hell YSU can stop mickey when hes pissed

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 02:22 PM

I don't have a problem with the seed....just the fact we did not get a home game. JMU loss to Nova.....heck of a price to pay....

If you want to be the best....got to beat the best. Until the game starts..sure there is going to be talk....but the players will be playing the game.....not us.......no smack intended.

I-AA Fan
November 19th, 2006, 02:24 PM
JMU fans, quit lying about your coach, and trying to get everyone fired up on a bbs. If he is upset, he is playing opossum, or he lacks mental faculties. He knows darn well (as should you) that they picked these two clubs because of national coverage and name recognition. I guarantee you JMU had to pay to get in the game ...as did YSU. JMU is nationally well-known in basketball, and YSU is nationally well-known in football ...people may actually tune in for this. There are many other teams that would be more than willing to travel for national television coverage.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 19th, 2006, 02:25 PM
: smh :
there is BS in the CS... and it is created by $$$$
My favorite thing about CS football just got thrown out the window today... I'm very very sad.
I'll be there at Youngstown but don't expect me to be in a good mood after the BS the selection commitee just pulled with a #4 against a #5 team...
:bang:

JMUSaxMRD
November 19th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Trust me, Mickey was livid, and JMU is good in basketball? God I hope you're talking about Women's basketball because our men's team has been HORRID for a long time.

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I urge everyone to watch this..... MASON IS A BEAST! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sVkVeNvkHI)

JMUSaxMRD
November 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Good point, George Mason does have a good basketball team... try JAMES MADISON, thats who you're playing

JMU_Fan_2007
November 19th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Ok, here's a rough sketch preview of how the teams match up. This is based on the numbers through last week from Sports Network.

Scoring Offense:
YSU: #9, 32.09 points per game
JMU: #10, 32.00 points per game

Rushing Offense:
YSU: #3, 240.64 yards per game
JMU: #12, 212.70 yards per game

Passing Offense:
YSU: #95, 144.3 yards per game
JMU: #73, 173.7 yards per game

Scoring Defense:
YSU: #32, 20.2 points per game
JMU: #15, 16.3 points per game

Rushing Defense:
YSU: #59, 144.5 yards per game
JMU: #5, 91.2 yards per game

Quality Wins: (at time of victory)
YSU:
#3 Illinois State
#12 Southern Illinois
#15 UC Davis

JMU:
#1 UNH
#13 Richmond
#24 Towson

Quality wins: (over Current GPI top 40)
YSU:
#11 Maine
#23 UC Davis
#7 Illinois St
#10 S Illinois
#32 W Kentucky

JMU:
#28 Northeastern
#8 New Hampshire
#33 Richmond
#34 Delaware
#17 Towson

Losses:
YSU
#14 Northern Iowa
I-A Penn St 37-3

JMU
#1 Ranked App St, 10-21
Villanova, 20-21

Clearly the teams are pretty evenly matched. I think the keys to the game will be both team's rushing defenses and quaterbacks. A few QB stats:
Tom Zetts (YSU) is 123 for 213 (57.7%), 1476 yards, 10 TDs 10 INT.
Justin Rascatti (JMU) is 139 for 207 (67.2%), 1900 yards, 19 TDs 6 INT

::End attempted objectivity::

I think JMU has the edge in both these key categories. The stats don't lie, and Rascatti has an extra plus for his experience. Clearly the smack is already flying, I can't wait for the game. Go Dukes!

th0m
November 19th, 2006, 02:49 PM
I urge everyone to watch this..... MASON IS A BEAST! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sVkVeNvkHI)

JMU's rush defense is also a beast. We rank 5th in the nation, first among play-off teams.

Held Towson to 12 yds on 15 carries.
Held Richmond to -2 yds on 22 carries.
Held UNH to 9 yds on 32 carries.
Held Delaware to 20 yds on 26 carries.

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 02:50 PM
Clearly the teams are pretty evenly matched. I think the keys to the game will be both team's rushing defenses and quaterbacks. A few QB stats:
Tom Zetts (YSU) is 123 for 213 (57.7%), 1476 yards, 10 TDs 10 INT.
Justin Rascatti (JMU) is 139 for 207 (67.2%), 1900 yards, 19 TDs 6 INT

::End attempted objectivity::

I think JMU has the edge in both these key categories. The stats don't lie, and Rascatti has an extra plus for his experience. Clearly the smack is already flying, I can't wait for the game. Go Dukes!

Even: YES
But JMU does not have the RB tandem of Marcus Mason and Monquante Gibson.
This game will be decided by this:
IF YSU Runs the ball like they have since the UC-Davis game: YSU wins. Mason has picked apart the defenses and our line may just be one of the best in all I-AA; the holes they create are huge: just ask ILSU!

If YSU can't run the ball that well vs. JMU: JMU wins. They will outdo us passing the ball: most teams do!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 19th, 2006, 03:10 PM

Not so fast young grasshopper, ever hear of Alvin Banks or Maurice Fenner? If not, check them out, they were a great RB tandem en route to a national championship in 2004.

But wait, what this? They aren't starters? That's right, we have 3, count them, THREE - strong reliable backs. Eugene Holloman has been a burst of lightning, clearly hits the holes faster than the other two. He is small, but both Fenner and Banks have size should we need more of a goal line back.

Having said that, Marcus Mason is the best RB in the nation IMO. But don't discount our tandem either.

Matchup to watch - YSU's RB Marcus Mason vs. JMU LB Akeem Jordan (Buck Buchannon nominee)

kdinva
November 19th, 2006, 03:24 PM
This should not be a first round match-up. JMU should've been at home and YSU should've gotten a little easier draw.

I agree, but reading Coach Matthews's reactions make for fun reading, and he will "complain" a tad. He has in the past.:mad:

Peems
November 19th, 2006, 03:25 PM
im counting YSU out on this one

no way in hell YSU can stop mickey when hes pissed

mickey plays on the team now!?

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 03:49 PM
mickey plays on the team now!?
Yes.....remember...he had one of those big runs on the Montana defense in the NC game in 2004...I have pictures.....the defense that could not stop the run........

just kidding.....like you...right?

Peems
November 19th, 2006, 03:52 PM
yes i was joking. i was just making the statement that the way you guys talk about mickey, YSU needs to worry more about him than the players.

JMU2004
November 19th, 2006, 03:53 PM
just got to say it...

the Selection IDIOTS ARE FULL OF %$&^

How you can friggin SCREW a 9-2 JMU team AGAIN is beyond me.

Hey, selection IDIOTS, you have zero credibilty. Simply disgusting...... I hope you are ALL fired

rufus
November 19th, 2006, 03:57 PM
yes i was joking. i was just making the statement that the way you guys talk about mickey, YSU needs to worry more about him than the players.
Mickey Matthews is ten feet tall, weighs two-tons, breathes fire, and could eat a hammer and take a shotgun blast standing.

When Mickey Matthews sends in his taxes, he sends blank forms and includes only a picture of himself, crouched and ready to attack. Mickey Matthews has not had to pay taxes, ever.

Be very afraid.

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Ooooo I am so scared. NOT.

C-mon guys this posting on here that your coach or w/e the hell the guy is is childish... I've been in a football locker room before a game and I am pretty sure every coach is a little riled up!

This place will be rocking Saturday Night!
http://www.panthermania.net/coppermine/albums/football/102106mp_uni_youngstown_24.jpg

Longhorn
November 19th, 2006, 04:22 PM

Money is not a factor if you're paired against a seeded team.

Longhorn
November 19th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Good.. Listen I know JMU is good and my prediction will be by a score or less. But you guys come on here and act like you will just tramp onto Stambaugh and beat us where we play best: Acting as if the fact we are the GATEWAY CHAMPS Means nothing.

Well All I gotta say is this: To be called the best you must beat the best... It was either some OVC school or UNH/JMU-->I will take the better competition anyday!

The Gateway means nothing now. The road means nothing. It's all about respect and winning.

We're gonna punch you in the neck and not look back.

asu70
November 19th, 2006, 04:31 PM
just got to say it...

the Selection IDIOTS ARE FULL OF %$&^

How you can friggin SCREW a 9-2 JMU team AGAIN is beyond me.

Hey, selection IDIOTS, you have zero credibilty. Simply disgusting...... I hope you are ALL fired
YSU got screwed just as bad as you guys being that they're a top four seed. A game between 2 top 8 teams should not happen in the first round!

mcveyrl
November 19th, 2006, 04:34 PM
YSU got screwed just as bad as you guys being that they're a top four seed. A game between 2 top 8 teams should not happen in the first round!

I agree. I also tend to agree with other comments on this thread that said this game was put together as a "marquee" first round match-up for TV (all the other possibilities would have been conference match-ups).

But, we really should've gotten a home game and YSU should've gotten a little "easier" game (although at this point, there aren't many of those).

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 19th, 2006, 04:34 PM

Well good that way Akeem Jordan will have a good test of his Buchanan Award skills... Check him out on www.jmusports.com His highlight reel is on the right side.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 19th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Mickey Matthews is ten feet tall, weighs two-tons, breathes fire, and could eat a hammer and take a shotgun blast standing.

When Mickey Matthews sends in his taxes, he sends blank forms and includes only a picture of himself, crouched and ready to attack. Mickey Matthews has not had to pay taxes, ever.

Be very afraid.

Chuck Norris was defeated once... and Mickey Matthews didn't even throw a punch that day! :smiley_wi

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 04:39 PM
We have to play the hand we were dealt.....end of discussion.

Furman got a bad hand as well.......kinda funny though.....App State plays Coastal - rematch.....possible rematch with Furman..if both teams win...another rematch with JMU if they would happen to advance...hmm.....

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 04:45 PM
I made this little logo for the game! ENJOY!
http://www.eguins.frihost.net/cms/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/ysujmu.jpg (http://www.eguins.frihost.net/cms/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=66#66)

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 19th, 2006, 04:46 PM
We have to play the hand we were dealt.....end of discussion.

Furman got a bad hand as well.......kinda funny though.....App State plays Coastal - rematch.....possible rematch with Furman..if both teams win...another rematch with JMU if they would happen to advance...hmm.....
Hmmm... and UMass in the other half of the bracket from JMU to give a Chance at an all A10 championship...

Should be exciting to me if things pan out.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 19th, 2006, 04:47 PM
I made this little logo for the game! ENJOY!
http://www.eguins.frihost.net/cms/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/ysujmu.jpg (http://www.eguins.frihost.net/cms/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=66#66)

NICE!!! :thumbsup:

LehighFan11
November 19th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Ok YSU fans beware and dont get too cocky. This JMU team is good. They won the national championship a few years ago playing all on the road. So they are a good road football team. Lehigh hosted them in the first round. JMU came in ticked off that they werent home and won. Their fans travel very well. They had a huge band and fan support at the game. YSU wont have a huge home field advanage. Statistics are almost even. #5 YSU rush v. #4 JUM D rush is the match up of the game. Whoever can run the football will win. Also JMU leads the nation with 48 sacks. They will blitz the hell out of your qb so he better be smart and cool under pressure. I wish i lived closer and i could go just to see a great football game. But i will be watching on ESPN2.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 19th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Ok YSU fans beware and dont get too cocky. This JMU team is good. They won the national championship a few years ago playing all on the road. So they are a good road football team. Lehigh hosted them in the first round. JMU came in ticked off that they werent home and won. Their fans travel very well. They had a huge band and fan support at the game. YSU wont have a huge home field advanage. Statistics are almost even. #5 YSU rush v. #4 JUM D rush is the match up of the game. Whoever can run the football will win. Also JMU leads the nation with 48 sacks. They will blitz the hell out of your qb so he better be smart and cool under pressure. I wish i lived closer and i could go just to see a great football game. But i will be watching on ESPN2.

I'm torn as to how much blitzing we'll be doing. We had a lot of sucess against good passing attacks by rushing 4, but against a good running team we can get burned by the play-action if we get anxious to get penetration.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 04:57 PM
That's one hell of a compliment.....not too many coming our way on this board. Thanks!!!!

This will be one of the premier games in the first round. I will have to watch this one from home...but will go back to Chatty if we get there.....

Sam Adams
November 19th, 2006, 05:02 PM
JMU v. YSU will be a barn burner.

th0m
November 19th, 2006, 05:25 PM
What makes you think so? A lot of people thought JMU vs Towson was gonna be a barn burner. Now, granted, Towson is no YSU, but I don't know about a shoot (or run) out.

Daved
November 19th, 2006, 05:34 PM
YSU: now youre in big big troubleIts a lot better being in big big trouble and in the playoffs than sitting at home watching the other teams play.Also we are used to being in big big trouble--The GFC is nothing but big big trouble.

NovaHater
November 19th, 2006, 05:38 PM
That's one hell of a compliment.....not too many coming our way on this board. Thanks!!!!

This will be one of the premier games in the first round. I will have to watch this one from home...but will go back to Chatty if we get there.....

Why would you expect any compliments when all you guys do is whine about getting a road game ?

The "Thread" is for discussion, not whining. I'm embarrassed for the A10 to read all of this crying over JMU's seeding. They also represent the conference and this is not what A10 is about.

JMU's DOES have a very good football team, so why don't you state why and discuss the game instead of all this crying. You're starting to embarrass yourselves and the conference:nono:

Daved
November 19th, 2006, 05:41 PM
This is going to be a great game. If I can't watch it live, I will be taping it to watch later. I think YSU and JMU both have a tough road ahead of them for the title. Have to play each other, possibly a re-match with the Redbirds, and then a match against App. St in the final 4.I hate the possibility of having to play ILS or SIU again should we get past JMU-its really difficult to beat a good team twice in the same year.

blur2005
November 19th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Besides the fact that this pairing is bullcrap, I will say this should be an incredible game. Hopefully, JMU will channel 2004 and win.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 19th, 2006, 06:33 PM
I hate the possibility of having to play ILS or SIU again should we get past JMU-its really difficult to beat a good team twice in the same year.

Just a quick reminder that SIU is in the other half of the dram. IL St. plays EIU. I don't think you played them this year, otherwise we wouldn't see them in the field ;)

jmuroller
November 19th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Why would you expect any compliments when all you guys do is whine about getting a road game ?

The "Thread" is for discussion, not whining. I'm embarrassed for the A10 to read all of this crying over JMU's seeding. They also represent the conference and this is not what A10 is about.

JMU's DOES have a very good football team, so why don't you state why and discuss the game instead of all this crying. You're starting to embarrass yourselves and the conference:nono:

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

:nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono:

igo4uni
November 19th, 2006, 06:44 PM
we are 0-6 vs. UNI under Heacock.

Yes. and you come to the fabulous UNI-Dome next year!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

By the way..............I think YSU will win vs. JMU!!!!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Hey.....you do have an opinion....Thanks!!!!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 19th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Yes. and you come to the fabulous UNI-Dome next year!!:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

By the way..............I think YSU will win vs. JMU!!!!! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Naahhh... C'mon, I expect more from the Panthers fans, you know the penguins can't beat a team wearing purple! :smiley_wi

But I do understand your support for your conference.

chiapet9
November 19th, 2006, 06:49 PM
if JMU can stop the run - they'll win. if the defense is off...it'll be YSU all the way.

Madisonian
November 19th, 2006, 07:04 PM
JMU fans, quit lying about your coach, and trying to get everyone fired up on a bbs. If he is upset, he is playing opossum, or he lacks mental faculties. He knows darn well (as should you) that they picked these two clubs because of national coverage and name recognition. I guarantee you JMU had to pay to get in the game ...as did YSU. JMU is nationally well-known in basketball, and YSU is nationally well-known in football ...people may actually tune in for this. There are many other teams that would be more than willing to travel for national television coverage.

What is this guy talking about? I believe he is thinking about George Mason Basketball. And by the way, doesn't the 2004 National Championship in Football (with Rascati at the helm) account for JMU being renowned for football. Remember, when JMU won every game on the road to become the first team ever to go undefeated on the road to the NC?

So our coach shouldn't be upset about not playing with home field advantage?

Hey Captain obvious, review your notes and perhaps you could drop some knowledge again some time. Pure genius.

Daved
November 19th, 2006, 07:07 PM
I know JMU destroyed UNH -a team that beat Northwestern but they must have had some trouble with Villanova-a team that Maine held to minus 39yds rushing.This game should be a real battle.

igo4uni
November 19th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Naahhh... C'mon, I expect more from the Panthers fans, you know the penguins can't beat a team wearing purple! :smiley_wi

But I do understand your support for your conference.

I always support a fellow conference team.

By the way..............what's wrong with purple???

Daved
November 19th, 2006, 07:15 PM
You're going to have a team of very angry Dukes coming into your house looking for somthing to mess up... :cool:Hopefully they will be even angrier when they leave here!:smiley_wi

Madisonian
November 19th, 2006, 07:17 PM
I always support a fellow conference team.

By the way..............what's wrong with purple???

Nothing is wrong with purple, in fact, everything is quite right!

GO PURPLE AND GOLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hurray:

bluehenbillk
November 19th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Should be a great game at one of the greatest sites for 1-AA football. I'll be watching picture in picture with ND/USC.

XJMU84
November 19th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I know JMU destroyed UNH -a team that beat Northwestern but they must have had some trouble with Villanova-a team that Maine held to minus 39yds rushing.This game should be a real battle.

JMU just royally screwed up the 21-20 loss to Nova. L. C. Baker was hit and fumbled at the Nova 5 after a 56 yard punt return and Nova recovered. Another punt return for a TD by Baker was called back for a hold and Rascati fumbled a snap at the Nova 20 that they recovered. (A possible 9 to 21 points lost because of those misques) :nonono2:

Should be a terrific game next Saturday!! (Youngstowns' rushing offense vs JMU's run-stop defense) :hurray:

Madisonian
November 19th, 2006, 07:49 PM
Hopefully they will be even angrier when they leave here!:smiley_wi

We probably will be angry win or lose, as we will again be on the road with a win or watching with a loss.

We didn't get screwed, honestly, you have to be the best team every saturday to win the NC. GO DUUUUUUUUKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XJMU84
November 19th, 2006, 08:07 PM
We probably will be angry win or lose, as we will again be on the road with a win or watching with a loss.

We didn't get screwed, honestly, you have to be the best team every saturday to win the NC. GO DUUUUUUUUKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Possible that they could get a second round home game (if they win the first one) depending on the outcome of the other contests. That would be sweet!!

DB_Atlantic10
November 19th, 2006, 08:30 PM
Well I see it like this... This is a play-off system and regardless of who you draw, you have to win to continue to play..enough said. At first thought, I was a little ticked to see us going to YSU first round, but when they revealed the TV schedule, showing that this game will be in Primetime first round... Not many can claim that from what I remember.... Where there any first round prime time games last year? Not sure, but YSU and JMU were chosen to head off this years post season....even ahead of App State. I'm sure there were a lot of thoughts going into this decision.... It's a proven fact that JMU plays well on the road, YSU has the best playoff record in the History of CS football. Now imagine how it would look if there was a blow out on National TV. This is exactly what they don't want... remember the key is how can the CS start making some of the big TV money like their big brothers if we are not taken seriously... If you look past the smoke, we should both consider ourselves lucky to be the chosen one's.... :thumbsup:

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 19th, 2006, 08:30 PM
14-13 like the other classics of JMU vs. Furman and JMU vs. Lehigh in '04

Sam Adams
November 19th, 2006, 08:33 PM
JMU will win this football game. Too many weapons on offense.

BillLuc1982
November 19th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Saw two YSU games and one JMU game this year. I actually introduced myself to one of the JMU girls when I was looking for a tailgate. I brought up YSU saying that we might be JMU's future opponent. Guess who knows his football. I wonder if that girl remembers me. She's pretty darn cute, too!

crunifan
November 19th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Go Penguins. Represent the Gateway well! I'm rooting for you guys! :hurray:

Dukie95
November 19th, 2006, 08:47 PM
JMU is nationally well-known in basketball...

Uhm...really? Damn, that's sad...

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 08:54 PM
YA SERIOUSLY!

YSU Beat JMU last year behind this dunk! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_Ny9t9OEJI)

GoGuins
November 19th, 2006, 08:54 PM

That's like saying YSU is well known in b-ballxlolx

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2006, 09:07 PM

Dude, if you believe JMU is nationally well known in basketball, then I have a bridge to sell you and some oceanfront property in AZ. Would you be interested? Unless 18-66 the last 3 seasons gets you nationally well known. And road teams in the playoffs, TV or not, don't have to pay to get in the game. Its the other way around-I believe the NCAA pays at least for some of the away team's travel expenses.

PenguinPride23
November 19th, 2006, 09:23 PM
I got back a few hours ago from watching the semi-pro team up in Cleveland take on the Stoolers, it kicked off at 1 so I obviously missed the show. Any podcasts on the I-AA.org site I can get?

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2006, 09:51 PM
Obviously geography is only a minor factor in the pairings:
Furman @ MSU (Whats that- like 2,000 something miles?)xidiotx
UNH @ Hamptonxidiotx
JMU @ YSUxidiotx

E Ill @ ISU? I thought there's not suppose to be 1st round re-matches? It would have made way more sense to have JMU/ISU and YSU/E Ill the 1st round in that bracket.

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2006, 09:52 PM
I keep on hearing people on here say the JMU @ YSU was done for $ & TV. Does ESPN have a seat on the selection committee? If not, are they allowed to pick/request a 1st round matchup or at least request something along the lines of they'll only televise a 1st round game with one of the seeded teams playing the top or one of the top couple of non seeded teams?

UNLESS ESPN was able to pick/request this matchup then the game makes no sense at all. If ESPN was able to request it, I wonder if a committee member would admit to that if asked, or is it all "classified"?. If ESPN was able to request this matchup for a prime time ESPN2 first round matchup, what would be wrong with the selection committee head or spokesman coming out and saying, something along the line of in order to have a prime time nationally televised 1st round game on ESPN2 ESPN requests that we match up one of the seeded teams with the top non seeded team, a matchup that you normally wouldn't have until the quarterfinals. We selected #4 seed YSU to host JMU. These teams have the honor of representing I-AA in the marquee 1st round matchup on national TV blah..blah...blah.

If the JMU and YSU fans had an explanation like this there would still be the "we got screwed" going on, but at least there would be an open explanation out there as to why. Not having that explanation out there allows the JMU coaching staff to use as a motivational tool the we got screwed and we were shown no respect mantra. If I was Mickey I would be milking that for all its worth (not so much in public- but to his team) in order to try to motivate the players even more. Anything to help the team practice this week focused, fired up, and angry.

Tough game. really good YSU team with great rushing game, top RB in I-AA, great tradition, 12 straight playoff wins at home, 4 national titles, 2 runner ups (got all that right YSU fans?), vs a JMU team with a really good rushing attack, great qb, really good defense against the run, and great pass rush who will be playing with a chip on its shoulder due to a perceived lack of respect. I think JMU has about a 50% chance. Not sure yet if I'll be watching the game at YSU or on ESPN2 here in PA.

I-AA Fan
November 19th, 2006, 10:01 PM
Dude, if you believe JMU is nationally well known in basketball, then I have a bridge to sell you and some oceanfront property in AZ. Would you be interested? Unless 18-66 the last 3 seasons gets you nationally well known. And road teams in the playoffs, TV or not, don't have to pay to get in the game. Its the other way around-I believe the NCAA pays at least for some of the away team's travel expenses.

First off, you are an ignorant cuss. Secondly, to many posting on this board, stop saying YSU fans are cocky. What, there are a total of 4 of them on the board and 1 is cocky. Most YSU fans are happy to be back; want a good game, some non-GFC officiating, and a win for their team. They are good people and will be more than happy to see any opposing fans that make the trip, and show you some hospitality.

That being said, JMU is the most well-known team in this part; aside from UMass which is a seed and could not face YSU. No you have not had a quality program since prior to Dillard, but the country (potential viewing audience) does know you for basketball. I never said you were good or bad. Although your ladies are first rate.

Second, I may have mispoken, as my mention of JMU having to pay, was ment to be more of a sarcasm ...ala "who did you have to pay to get that game on ESPN"? ...my apologies. Frankly, your crying is getting old. YSU is the team that has had to endure a 5-year drought of no post-season, despite being deserving in 01, and 05. Had to listen to morons say that Tressel was the whole team and they will never win without him. It was John Heacock that had to watch all of his coaches leave for OSU or other programs, and have to build a new team, and a new coaching staff at the same time. They came out of the best conference the country as the sole champs and deserve an easy game, at least as much as JMU ...if not more so. YSU has to watch two conference teams they beat draw EIU and UTM, heck ILS already beat EIU once this year. YSU is good team, but the players have no idea just what it takes in the play-off ...that is why being passed over last year was so bad ...they needed the post-season experience. However, I have learned not to count this team out and you should do the same. Consider yourselves lucky you meet an inexperienced club on national television, and will be favored despite being on the road.

But there is no use crying. As one of the YSU captains said today ...sometimes you just take the cards you are dealt and be happy you finally made it. So, get your game face on and be happy your administration was lucky enough to pull a game on ESPN primetime Saturday. Believe me, more people will watch this game than will watch the title game this year, or two years ago. I hope to see you there.

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 10:15 PM
I am re-reading this thread and had to count like 30+ posts by the JMU fans about this game... Quit crying all of you: if you are so good then you will beat us...... Home or away: you must win them to win it all!

Shut Up About this Selection Committee bull... they picked this game and you should be happy: this is a tremendous game and on ESPN2!

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2006, 10:29 PM
First off, you are an ignorant cuss. Secondly, to many posting on this board, stop saying YSU fans are cocky. What, there are a total of 4 of them on the board and 1 is cocky. Most YSU fans are happy to be back; want a good game, some non-GFC officiating, and a win for their team. They are good people and will be more than happy to see any opposing fans that make the trip, and show you some hospitality.

That being said, JMU is the most well-known team in this part; aside from UMass which is a seed and could not face YSU. No you have not had a quality program since prior to Dillard, but the country (potential viewing audience) does know you for basketball. I never said you were good or bad. Although your ladies are first rate.

Second, I may have mispoken, as my mention of JMU having to pay, was ment to be more of a sarcasm ...ala "who did you have to pay to get that game on ESPN"? ...my apologies. Frankly, your crying is getting old. YSU is the team that has had to endure a 5-year drought of no post-season, despite being deserving in 01, and 05. Had to listen to morons say that Tressel was the whole team and they will never win without him. It was John Heacock that had to watch all of his coaches leave for OSU or other programs, and have to build a new team, and a new coaching staff at the same time. They came out of the best conference the country as the sole champs and deserve an easy game, at least as much as JMU ...if not more so. YSU has to watch two conference teams they beat draw EIU and UTM, heck ILS already beat EIU once this year. YSU is good team, but the players have no idea just what it takes in the play-off ...that is why being passed over last year was so bad ...they needed the post-season experience. However, I have learned not to count this team out and you should do the same. Consider yourselves lucky you meet an inexperienced club on national television, and will be favored despite being on the road.

But there is no use crying. As one of the YSU captains said today ...sometimes you just take the cards you are dealt and be happy you finally made it. So, get your game face on and be happy your administration was lucky enough to pull a game on ESPN primetime Saturday. Believe me, more people will watch this game than will watch the title game this year, or two years ago. I hope to see you there.

Ok numbnuts, I'm an ignorant cuss.;) You said "JMU is nationally well-known in basketball, and YSU is nationally well-known in football ...people may actually tune in for this."

I disagree. We haven't been to the NCAAs since 94'. Prior to that was mid 80s. If you think JMU's long ago basketball success is going to have anything more than a miniscule bearing on the TV audience this Sat, then again, I have a bridge to sell you.

I do agree that YSU got screwed last year when Lafayette got an at large bid over them. Was about as ridiculous as Lafayette getting in this year at 6-5.

blur2005
November 19th, 2006, 11:18 PM
Ok numbnuts, I'm an ignorant cuss.;) You said "JMU is nationally well-known in basketball, and YSU is nationally well-known in football ...people may actually tune in for this."

I disagree. We haven't been to the NCAAs since 94'. Prior to that was mid 80s. If you think JMU's long ago basketball success is going to have anything more than a miniscule bearing on the TV audience this Sat, then again, I have a bridge to sell you.

I do agree that YSU got screwed last year when Lafayette got an at large bid over them. Was about as ridiculous as Lafayette getting in this year at 6-5.
The last time JMU basketball was relevant in national discussion was...never. Lefty Driesell coached at JMU for like seven years and JMU was in the upper-echelon of the CAA but never has JMU been that good.

BDKJMU
November 19th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Coach Matthew's comments after the selection:

http://www.jmusports.com/Multimedia/Audio/Matthews-111906.mp3

umassfan
November 19th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Coach Matthew's comments after the selection:

http://www.jmusports.com/Multimedia/Audio/Matthews-111906.mp3
MM sounds like Whipple back when we played Colgate.

jmuduke999999999
November 19th, 2006, 11:53 PM
The last time JMU basketball was relevant in national discussion was...never. Lefty Driesell coached at JMU for like seven years and JMU was in the upper-echelon of the CAA but never has JMU been that good.
Well I wouldn't exactly say that's true....during the Lou years we were revelant come tourny time...its just that that seems a long long time ago, almost 25 years ago now unfortunately.

blur2005
November 19th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Well I wouldn't exactly say that's true....during the Lou years we were revelant come tourny time...its just that that seems a long long time ago, almost 25 years ago now unfortunately.
JMU was decent in the 1980s in the old ECAC and did make the tournament a few times but really, let's get off the whole JMU is a well-known basketball school idea.

DirtyDukes
November 20th, 2006, 12:09 AM
Guys,

it hasn't been that bad up to this point, but why don't we take all the smack to the smack board? Let's try and keep this as objective (although somewhat biased, sure) as we can. Both these teams are great teams and have a great matchup, and we can both understand that it should have come out differently and better for each of us. But it didn't. So let's just play the game.

jmuduke999999999
November 20th, 2006, 12:23 AM
JMU was decent in the 1980s in the old ECAC and did make the tournament a few times but really, let's get off the whole JMU is a well-known basketball school idea.

JMU was a well known mid major basketball school at that time. And those teams weren't just decent in the 1980s....ask Michael Jordan and UNC for proof.

blur2005
November 20th, 2006, 02:18 AM
JMU was a well known mid major basketball school at that time. And those teams weren't just decent in the 1980s....ask Michael Jordan and UNC for proof.
Fine, I'll concede. JMU was great. There. We lost by two to the eventual national champions, UNC, in the first round of the 1982 tournament.

Dukie95
November 20th, 2006, 07:03 AM
If you think JMU's long ago basketball success is going to have anything more than a miniscule bearing on the TV audience this Sat, then again, I have a bridge to sell you.

How many bridges do you have anyway? ;)

Actually, after one day of really fuming at the committee, and many deep breaths, it's Monday now and I'm much calmer...I will bitch no more about our pairing and will focus on the game at hand.

This game brings me back to those times when JMU would face YSU back in the early 90s when I was a student. To this day, one of our better all-time wins was going to Youngstown and beating YSU when they were ranked #1.

When I was a student, YSU and Marshall were always the best and if not one, then the other won the NC year after year. I have a ton of respect for their program and am looking forward to a really good game...the best of the first round. It's just too bad that at least one really good team will have to exit so early.

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 07:16 AM
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-84292sy0nov20,0,6009436.story?coll=dp-sports-local

even Hampton's coaches thought they'd be playing JMU. I guess after playing an A-10 school from Virginia two years in a row there would be reason to think they'd play Madison. I think they got lucky to draw UNH - they might actually put up a good fight.

youwouldno
November 20th, 2006, 07:20 AM
JMU fans don't seem too confident. I find that a little odd because I don't think this is that bad of a matchup for them. I think JMU will have some success on the ground, so if their D plays well the Dukes could well pull it off.

th0m
November 20th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Why is it only Monday!! Fast forward to Saturday, PLEASE!

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 07:29 AM
JMU fans don't seem too confident. I find that a little odd because I don't think this is that bad of a matchup for them. I think JMU will have some success on the ground, so if their D plays well the Dukes could well pull it off.

i think we're confident. we have one of the best defensive lines in the CS. we also have a quarterback who's been to the big dance once before. he's experienced and intelligent...and i think he can get the job done.

i think its just going to take us a day or so to release our frustration about getting the shaft on homefield advantage for the second time. :bang: :bang:

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Part of the frustration is the history of the committee. JMU has 7 playoff appearances. All of them we were sent on the road, so we have yet to be given a chance to play at home. When you see at-large teams with 4 losses it stings a bit, especially since our Admin made it sound like we were going to bid "aggressive" (still don't know what the hell that means...)

This year we were just really really pumped for a home game, and still might get one should we advance to round 2. It's a tough pill to swallow when your average attendance for the season is over capacity.

Looking forward to this matchup. It will be interesting to see how it goes. Looks like maybe even some snow in the forecast. I am leaning towards taking the trip.

YSU - you'll find that JMU people are quite friendly. Yes, we're confident, but we respect the tradition and record that we face in going to YSU this weekend. Good luck and may the best team win!! GO DUKES!!!!

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Hey.. Everyone is forgetting:
YSU IS 12-1 AT STAMBAUGH IN THE PLAYOFFS WINNING 12 IN A ROW!!!!
Sorry, that stat has no relevance here. How many of your current players have ever won a playoff game at YSU?? xcoffeex And how many current JMU players have ever won a playoff game (or four)? xcoffeex

potus#4
November 20th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Fine, I'll concede. JMU was great. There. We lost by two to the eventual national champions, UNC, in the first round of the 1982 tournament.

Second round. :smiley_wi

I hope everyone cuts JMU fans a little slack for yesterday's outburst. I think everyome was (justifiably) counting on a first round home game. I'm sure the mood will be slightly better today as everyone looks forward to this great matchup.

Tubby Raymond
November 20th, 2006, 08:04 AM
This game will be decided by this:
IF YSU Runs the ball like they have since the UC-Davis game: YSU wins. Mason has picked apart the defenses and our line may just be one of the best in all I-AA; the holes they create are huge: just ask ILSU!

If YSU can't run the ball that well vs. JMU: JMU wins. They will outdo us passing the ball: most teams do!

They don't need a tandem, the waterbug they got can't be caught and then can't be tackled. Thier 2nd stringer could start in most good I-AA programs

BillLuc1982
November 20th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Why is it only Monday!! Fast forward to Saturday, PLEASE!

You tell me! I'd rather be at the Ice Castle ...

Or kicking some field goals at the Ice Castle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6wd2XDeJmE

LacesOut
November 20th, 2006, 08:12 AM
This matchup is SICK!! Too bad it's a first round one.

howvan
November 20th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Where did you get the angry Pete logo? That's really cool.

barrykp
November 20th, 2006, 08:39 AM
This is the worst seeding I have ever seen. How does a team that is ranked 6th in the GPI not only have to play on the road, but play a seeded team? While Montana state, a 4 loss team, not in the top 10 in the GPI, gets a home game? This is such BS and the committee is just awful!

BillLuc1982
November 20th, 2006, 08:41 AM
This is the worst seeding I have ever seen. How does a team that is ranked 6th in the GPI not only have to play on the road, but play a seeded team? While Montana state a 4 loss team not in the top 10 in the GPI get a home game? This is such BS and the committee is just awful!

Just proves that the committee's average IQ is below the idiot threshold. JMU deserves a home game, if not two.

YoUDeeMan
November 20th, 2006, 08:42 AM
This is the worst seeding I have ever seen. How does a team that is ranked 6th in the GPI not only have to play on the road, but play a seeded team?

Ask SIU in 2003. I believe they had it worse than you guys.

The Selection Committee logo: "Show me the money!" :bang:

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 08:45 AM
i just think that if we're going to brag about the fact that we have playoffs - then we need to have PLAYOFFS. seed the teams, higher seed gets the home field advantage.

if its about money - then let it be about money - but we need to stop acting like its about being fair and having "playoffs"

JMUfan2008
November 20th, 2006, 08:50 AM
I haven't followed YSU that much this season, but can someone tell me if YSU has that large of a threat passing the ball. I mean, I'm sure they're fairly balanced, but if they had to rely on passing against a good defense could they score more than 4 touchdowns? We're going to be focused on shutting down the run so the only way YSU is going to be able to do much is being able to mix it up well. This year we have done great against one-dimensional offenses. I also believe JMU will score at least 4 TD's, our offense has way too many weapons to get shut down by YSU's D. Believe me, I have a lot of respect for what YSU has done this year and for Mason, but our D is very fast this year and we're still fired up from the loss to Nova (I'm not going to say we're fired up from getting shafted because both teams are fired up about that) so I think we'll hold Mason to under 150. Some of our guys also have a little more experience in the big TV games, which also gives us an edge. Either way, I'm still really excited about this game. I'm missing Thanksgiving with my dad's side of the family to go to this game so I at least hope its a good one.

jmuroller
November 20th, 2006, 08:59 AM
MM sounds like Whipple back when we played Colgate.

Hardly..Whipple cried all week about going to Colgate..Matthews has already stated that we can't do anything about it and we'll just have to go to YSU and beat them.

Good luck to all!!!

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 09:05 AM
question - if JMU wins @ YSU...do we get the home game over the winner of the Illinois game?

or do we have to go on the road again? i guess it all depends on who "bids" more....

th0m
November 20th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Indeed. All depends on the bid.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Weather - 40% chance of showers according to the WeatherChannel.

Anybody up there in Ohio have a good feel for whether or not it will precipitate? Do you get any lake effect precipitation?

Hoping for a nice evening, even if it is near freezing.

BillLuc1982
November 20th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Anybody up there in Ohio have a good feel for whether or not it will precipitate? Do you get any lake effect precipitation?

Yes we're known for lake effect precipitation. Ohio is perpetually cloudy in November. I don't miss their weather, but I'll be glad to be back for some football! :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

GoGuins
November 20th, 2006, 12:08 PM

It will be pretty cold at KO, but I'm guessing it won't be raining.

Today, like most, is overcast and there was some sleet, but it's actually supposed to be sunny and in the low 50's the rest of the week

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 12:10 PM
It will be pretty cold at KO, but I'm guessing it won't be raining.

Today, like most, is overcast and there was some sleet, but it's actually supposed to be sunny and in the low 50's the rest of the week

Weather won't be a factor in this game. Neither team will have an advantage in this regard. It can get pretty damn cold/windy/balmy and outright *****ty in the 'Burg as well.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
I know it will have little effect on the game, just wondering how badly my skinny ass will shaking in the stands. Well, time to stock up on the Southern Comfort to keep me warm!

BillLuc1982
November 20th, 2006, 01:24 PM
Weather won't be a factor in this game. Neither team will have an advantage in this regard. It can get pretty damn cold/windy/balmy and outright *****ty in the 'Burg as well.

Nov. 4 I was at the JMU-UD game. Burg was as cold as if not colder than the Ice Castle that day. I heard it was 52 for YSU vs SIU and closer to 32 for JMU vs UD.

GoGuins
November 20th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Alright YSU fans, I don't usually tailgate @ YSU, so you cannot bring alcohol in with you into the lots correct? There is a vendor there to sell it to you?

Are the prices reasonable? Can you buy a 12 pack or do they sell it in cups?

I'll be mixing my Cap'n Morgan & Coke and bringing it in, don't think they'll check that

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2006, 01:32 PM
Alright YSU fans, I don't usually tailgate @ YSU, so you cannot bring alcohol in with you into the lots correct? There is a vendor there to sell it to you?

Are the prices reasonable? Can you buy a 12 pack or do they sell it in cups?

I'll be mixing my Cap'n Morgan & Coke and bringing it in, don't think they'll check that

WHAAAAAAGGHHHHHHHHHT? :eek: :bawling:

Say it ain't so, say it ain't so... : smh :

BillLuc1982
November 20th, 2006, 01:45 PM
WHAAAAAAGGHHHHHHHHHT? :eek: :bawling:

Say it ain't so, say it ain't so... : smh :

If you go to private, non-university-owned lots, you can tailgate with alcohol. Pissed me off when I came back home. Chugged a Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald in a Taco Bell parking lot before the UC Davis game. I wouldn't go to Taco Bell; go to one of the private lots. The people are really cordial and will let you tailgate.

GoGuins
November 20th, 2006, 01:47 PM
How strict do they enforce it, I mean do they search your car and coolers as you go in? In the university lots

barrykp
November 20th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Looks like you guys go to a lot of home games during the year. Looks like we got ourselves a Running team vs. a team that stops the run, should be interesting, but according to the ranks this could get ugly quickly.

National Ranks for each team
rushing o - YSU #5, JMU #12
passing o - JMU #73, YSU#94
total o - JMU #10, YSU #12
scoring o - JMU #9, YSU #10
rush d - JMU #4, YSU #57
pass d - JMU #57, YSU #72
total d - JMU #14, YSU #64
scoring d - JMU #11, YSU #33
punt returns - JMU #13, YSU #67
kick returns - JMU #2, YSU #90
passing efficiency - JMU #4, YSU #49
penalties per game - YSU #38, JMU #42
sacks - JMU #1, YSU #46
tackles for loss - JMU #8, YSU #33
sacks allowed - YSU #10, JMU #32
tackles for loss allowed - JMU #6, YSU #9
field goal kicking - JMU #26, YSU #43
3rd down conversions - JMU #16, YSU #19

On paper this has UPSET written all over it, if you can really call it an upset.

BillLuc1982
November 20th, 2006, 02:17 PM
YSU also played Penn State and the Gateway schools. We'll see who the better team is on Saturday. Add UC Davis and Maine to that schedule.

blur2005
November 20th, 2006, 02:17 PM
Looks like you guys go to a lot of home games during the year. Looks like we got ourselves a Running team vs. a team that stops the run, should be interesting, but according to the ranks this could get ugly quickly.

rush d - JMU #4, YSU #57
sacks - JMU #1, YSU #46

On paper this has UPSET written all over it, if you can really call it an upset.
Bummer stats mean nothing when you actually play the game.

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 20th, 2006, 02:22 PM
Throw every stat out the window for all 8 games............there will be an upset along the way........best of luck to all teams.

Go Dukes

Madisonian
November 20th, 2006, 02:37 PM
My prediction...

One Eyed, One Horned, Flying Purple Penguin Eaters 24
Meals for Seals 17

GO DUUUUUUUUUKES!!!

bandl
November 20th, 2006, 02:39 PM

rush d - JMU #4, YSU #57
sacks - JMU #1, YSU #46

Why don't we just put all these numbers in a computer, do some crunching, and see who comes out on top?? :p The offense on boths sides is just about dead even...other than that, JMU has the edge just about everywhere. Which means ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Throw all stats out the window for this game. Both sides know what they are going up against...this is, without a doubt, the biggest game on the slate for the weekend and both sides will play their hearts out. I wish I could honestly say who will win...I can't wait to watch this game. :hurray:

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Latest Attendance Figures:
5500 Tickets Sold

1500 Given to JMU: expecting about 2000 from JMU.

Ticket Office sales have been off the hook all day!!!!!!

ALSO: THERE WILL BE FIREWORKS AFTER THE GAME.
Weather on local tv says MOSTLY CLOUDY w/ a high of 50 and a low of 40... not horrible!

HIU 93
November 20th, 2006, 04:15 PM
JMU will beat that ass, PERIOD!!!!!

FanOfAllThatIsJMU
November 20th, 2006, 04:36 PM
stats are for losers at this time of the year. the only thing that matters is the score when the clock reads 0:00 in the 4th. should be a tight great game hopefully with a happy ending for us JMU faithful. and if not, we can always hope that their fireworks burn down their stadium ;)

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2006, 04:47 PM
JMU will beat that ass, PERIOD!!!!!I see your education went far in your life! Thanks!

crunifan
November 20th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Gotta step in and stick up for a fellow Gateway team and say, Marcus Mason is a complete stud. You will not stop him, don't even try. Just try and find a way to win around him.

Granted, as much as I like JMU (Gotta like the fellow purple and gold schools), I hope you don't find a way. Let's go Penguins! :hurray:

Madisonian
November 20th, 2006, 05:31 PM
I see your education went far in your life! Thanks!

You probably don't want to start that argument with a Hampton University grad... fair warning, its a pretty damned good school/with an alumni network that beats all. Trust me, don't go there. I hereby rescend FlyYtown's earlier comment for his own protection.

Peems
November 20th, 2006, 05:45 PM
has mason been held under 100 yards at all this season(not including games where he didnt play)

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2006, 05:47 PM
has mason been held under 100 yards at all this season(not including games where he didnt play)
99 yards to UC-Davis; but Gibson was used quite a bit in that game too.

And I was kidding about the Hampton post... I know that school is top notch, I had a teacher from there and boy she was a tough one!

Happy Penguin
November 20th, 2006, 06:06 PM
How strict do they enforce it, I mean do they search your car and coolers as you go in? In the university lots

This is one of those rules that they don't want to enforce. I tailgate with a guy from the facilities dept., and on more than one occasion the cops in the lot have said as long as you have your drink in a cup do whatever you want.

They do not search cars or coolers at all.

I've seen people get caught with bottles all the time, the cops just tell them to get a plastic cup and then move on. Never any problems.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2006, 06:39 PM
stats are for losers at this time of the year. the only thing that matters is the score when the clock reads 0:00 in the 4th. should be a tight great game hopefully with a happy ending for us JMU faithful. and if not, we can always hope that their fireworks burn down their stadium ;)

Melt their stadium. It's the Ice Castle. It needs to melt!!!!

We'll see which penguin has "Happy Feet" this weekend. If it's Mason, should be a good night for the home crowd, if it's Zetts, it'll be warm for the visitors from the Shenandoah Valley. :nod:

th0m
November 20th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Duke Dawg, that Furman helmet avatar of yours has caught me off guard multiple times now!

JMU2K_DukeDawg
November 20th, 2006, 06:41 PM
This is one of those rules that they don't want to enforce. I tailgate with a guy from the facilities dept., and on more than one occasion the cops in the lot have said as long as you have your drink in a cup do whatever you want.

I've seen people get caught with bottles all the time, the cops just tell them to get a plastic cup and then move on. Never any problems.

OK, so it's basically like any other school. Just don't be stupid, and you'd have to be REALLY stupid to get stupid on gameday in the playoffs

...then again, I remember a freshman at JMU tailgating in 2004 at Chatty who ended up in the hospital and not at the game. Hell of a road trip to get wasted! xidiotx Wonder if he lasted the semester... :rolleyes:

PantherRob82
November 20th, 2006, 06:51 PM
Still think this game is a crock. Do we get a new committee next year?

BDKJMU
November 20th, 2006, 06:53 PM

Glad to hear this.:)

Madisonian
November 20th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Still think this game is a crock. Do we get a new committee next year?

Yep. It's rumored that the NCAA will announce today that if the game is a tie after 4 quarters that there will be no overtime and both teams will be eliminated from the playoffs. xlolx xlolx

Daved
November 20th, 2006, 07:18 PM
I see your education went far in your life! Thanks!ARRRRRR!!!!! Thats just Pirate talk Fly! They came to our crib back in '97 and left with a booty-spankin!

Hoboken Dukes
November 20th, 2006, 07:20 PM
very stoked this game is primetime on espn2. gotta keep ysu from maintaining long drives, keep it close w/ solid special teams and some big plays and then grind 'em down in the late 3rd/4th quarters with the run game. can't make it to the game, hopefully jmu has as solid a following as we've enjoyed on the road all year.

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2006, 07:20 PM
ARRRRRR!!!!! Thats just Pirate talk Fly! They came to our crib back in '97 and left with a booty-spankin!
I said I was kidding.. Do wanna say the Hampton and NCA&T Bands are the bomb!

Daved
November 20th, 2006, 07:24 PM
I said I was kidding.. Do wanna say the Hampton and NCA&T Bands are the bomb!
FAMU's was also when they came to town!

BDKJMU
November 20th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Got this in an e-mail today from JMU Duke club:

"Join fellow Duke Club members, fans, and alumni at the official Football
Pre-Game Party, beginning at 3 p.m. Saturday:

Buffalo Wild Wings
Stambaugh Building, Youngstown
3 blocks from stadium
330-743-2999"

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2006, 07:44 PM

Buffalo Wild Wings
3 blocks from stadium
330-743-2999"
I am gonna go wreck this party.... LOL... No.. Enjoy Downtown Youngstown's BW3'S!!!!

howvan
November 20th, 2006, 07:45 PM
FYI...only NCA&T brought their full band to YSU in 1999. They rocked. FAMU sent a pep band for the semifinal game.

BDKJMU
November 20th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Dukes Relegated To Road

http://www.dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=7397&CHID=3

th0m
November 20th, 2006, 08:25 PM

JMU has a very good band as well. I read about 150-200 members will travel to Youngstown.

Reed Rothchild
November 20th, 2006, 08:25 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOO GUINS!!!

GoGuins
November 20th, 2006, 08:29 PM
FYI...only NCA&T brought their full band to YSU in 1999. They rocked. FAMU sent a pep band for the semifinal game.

The one thing I remember about their fans is they came walking up the East side stands yelling "Aggie Pride"

They didn't have much to cheer about after kickoff

GoGuins
November 20th, 2006, 08:30 PM

Buffalo Wild Wings
3 blocks from stadium
330-743-2999"

You're a brave soul to be wandering around downtown Ytownxlolx

GoGuins
November 20th, 2006, 08:44 PM
GOOOOOOOOOOOO GUINS!!!

Thanks for the shoutout Reed and BTW you were awesome in Boogie Nights

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Don't be fooled by this pathetic propaganda. Downtown Youngstown and the YSU Campus are the safest places in the county. You will be VERY SAFE Down there.... ever since the Chevy Centre was put up, the YSU and YTOWN police are patrolling it all day and night..

Downtown is getting nicer---and its SAFE DAMNIT!

BDKJMU
November 20th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKJMU

Buffalo Wild Wings
3 blocks from stadium
330-743-2999"

2 yrs ago during the quarterfinals at Furman we had several K (2-3?) JMU fans make the trip. Had a pre game in downtown Greenville. Also think it was at a BW3. Several hundred JMU fans attended, included several busfulls. Me thinks JMU will be WELL represented in downtown Youngstown come mid afternoon. I'm guessing JMU brings at least 2 k to game.

GoGuins
November 20th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Quote:

Buffalo Wild Wings
3 blocks from stadium
330-743-2999"

2 yrs ago during the quarterfinals at Furman we had several K (2-3?) JMU fans make the trip. Had a pre game in downtown Greenville. Also think it was at a BW3. Several hundred JMU fans attended, included several busfuls. Me thinks JMU will be WELL represented in downtown Youngstown come mid afternoon. I'm guessing JMU brings at least 2 k to game.

I actually meant by referring to Youngstown's high murder rate and crime but was just JOKING Fly, notice the smiley?

You'll be perfectly safe downtown, BW3's is within walking distance of the YSU campus. Penguin fans will treat you good too, we're not like Ohio State fans and won't try to set you on fire or anything like that:D

GoGuins
November 20th, 2006, 09:01 PM
Quote:

Buffalo Wild Wings
3 blocks from stadium
330-743-2999"

2 yrs ago during the quarterfinals at Furman we had several K (2-3?) JMU fans make the trip. Had a pre game in downtown Greenville. Also think it was at a BW3. Several hundred JMU fans attended, included several busfuls. Me thinks JMU will be WELL represented in downtown Youngstown come mid afternoon. I'm guessing JMU brings at least 2 k to game.

BW3's is kinda small if I remember, I haven't been there in awhile unless they've expanded. It's in the bottom floor of an office building and not like the newer ones you see

When you find out where you're sitting, let me know. I'm sitting in the section in the East stands (Sect 16) right next to where they put the visiting team (17 & 18)

Paladin1aa
November 20th, 2006, 09:30 PM
Thats correct ,Go. BW3 in Ytown is small. The one in Niles is quite large.

BDKJMU
November 20th, 2006, 09:38 PM
There's one in Harrisonburg right across the street from the campus, pretty good size, so maybe the folks doing the planning are assuming that it will be that way in Youngstown. So maybe it will get very crammed. All the more reason to get there earlier.:)

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2006, 10:01 PM
http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/4113/jmuseatingtk3.jpg

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 10:02 PM
why is the YSU band on the visitors side?

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2006, 10:07 PM
why is the YSU band on the visitors side?
My friend that is not the visitors side. YSU is being nice and is putting all of you dukes on one side. The YSU Band is ALWAYS there! Usually the opposition just gets the upper corner of the east stands, this time they got it almost all to themselves.

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 10:11 PM
gee - such hospitality. why don't they just sell tickets sporadically and place JMU fans throughout the stadium. of course they're going to place the visitors team all together for the playoffs. i'm not from YSU - no need to get all smartass on me.

FlyYtown
November 20th, 2006, 10:17 PM
LATEST TICKET UPDATE FROM 21 NEWS
http://wfmj.images.worldnow.com/images/1076232_vf.jpg (http://wfmj.com/global/video/WorldNowASX.asp?playerType=native&ClipID1=1076189&h1=YSU%20Ticket%20Office%20...%20A%20Busy%20Place&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=45333&LaunchPageAdTag=Sport&activePane=info&playerVersion=7)

chiapet9
November 20th, 2006, 10:27 PM
thats exciting. man i wish i was going :-(

BDKJMU
November 20th, 2006, 10:54 PM

Buffalo Wild Wings
3 blocks from stadium
330-743-2999"

The Buffalo Wild Wings, 3 blocks south of campus according to their website:
http://buffalo.know-where.com/buffalowildwings/cgi/site?site=03076&address=&design=default&lang=en&mapid=US

and the Grant Street/5th Avenue intersection, which is at the southwest corner of Stambaugh Stadium (got a pretty good campus map off of YSU's website) appears to be alot more than 3 blocks from stadium (northwest side of campus). Mapquest says .85 mi (you can see what I mean if you pull it up on mapquest).

It doesn't look like any of the big parking/tailgate lots are near the BW3. I plan to hit the BW3, but also want to tailgate to after going to BW3 and before the game), and don't really want to move my vehicle in between but looks like may have to. Looks like JMU fans wanting to do the same will be in the same boat.

In other words, looks like there won't be any tailgating going on near the BW3. YSU fans- is this the case?

Hoboken Dukes
November 20th, 2006, 10:57 PM
great stuff w/ the news clip, thx. it's always tough to guage how large of a following you'll get on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. the good thing is the crowd at the nat'l champ game was very solid, and it's a similar distance i believe. i heard the crowds at richmond and towson were very solid, i was at the villanova game this year, we had at least 3k there and 400+ in one corner of the parking lot tailgating beforehand, was like night and day from my time. figure with jmu students mostly calling Nova/pa/nj, home, a drive out to youngstown state isn't that bad.

i remember listening to the youngstown state playoff games back in the 97when i was at jmu and villanova was #1 in the country w/ finneran and co. they won a very high scoring game in the 2nd round after v-nova knocked off a pesky colgate squad, maybe ysu had a blocked punt or a punt return for a td but i could be mistaken. also remember reading about their other wins vs v-nova during their early 90 championship playoffs. sounded like a great atmosphere, wish i were going.

JMU_MRD'03-'07
November 20th, 2006, 11:29 PM

Quick question... is the JMU pep band going to be located near the YSU band, because that would not be a smart thing to do...

Dukie95
November 21st, 2006, 06:59 AM
I'm driving myself from the DC area...what's the parking situation around the stadium? I couldn't find any driving directions or parking instructions on the YSU site.

I'm really looking forward to a great game, and I can't wait to experience the game-day atmosphere at YSU.

GO DUKES!!

Dukie95
November 21st, 2006, 07:05 AM

Wow!! They even painted the seats purple for us. How accommodating!

:smiley_wi

GoGuins
November 21st, 2006, 07:24 AM

I'll be sitting right above the "8" in "1,800". I've never seen an opposing teams fans take up most of the east stands. The biggest following I ever saw they took up 1/2 a section

BillLuc1982
November 21st, 2006, 07:31 AM
I'm driving myself from the DC area...what's the parking situation around the stadium? I couldn't find any driving directions or parking instructions on the YSU site.

I'm really looking forward to a great game, and I can't wait to experience the game-day atmosphere at YSU.

GO DUKES!!

I'm going back to Youngstown today from Arlington (live near Shirlington, work in Court House) so I can work from the VPN tomorrow and enjoy Thanksgiving with the family back home. Take the George Washington Parkway to I-495 North. Then take I-270 North towards Rockville and Frederick. In Frederick, take I-70 West towards Hagerstown. Follow I-70 to Breezewood, PA. There, you will want to make a right to get to I-76 West. Take I-76 West through Pennsylvania and once you cross into Ohio, take the first exit (Exit 234) for I-680 North. Follow I-680 North to the 62 East/7 North exit (Exit 6B I believe). Take the 422 West exit. Once you get on 422 West, take the Fifth Avenue exit for YSU Stambaugh Stadium. Some houses nearby offer parking for a few bucks.

YSU is an excellent gameday atmosphere, but the parking isn't free like it is at JMU. YSU is in a "city setting" so of course you'll have to pay. I don't know what they will be charging, though. For regular season, usually $5-7.

BillLuc1982
November 21st, 2006, 07:33 AM
I'll be sitting right above the "8" in "1,800". I've never seen an opposing teams fans take up most of the east stands. The biggest following I ever saw they took up 1/2 a section

I will be in that small red section, too, but I'll be in the second row with my longtime friend of 17 years Johnny5 and a few other of our friends.

Dukie95
November 21st, 2006, 07:39 AM
I'm going back to Youngstown today from Arlington (live near Shirlington, work in Court House) so I can work from the VPN tomorrow and enjoy Thanksgiving with the family back home. Take the George Washington Parkway to I-495 North. Then take I-270 North towards Rockville and Frederick. In Frederick, take I-70 West towards Hagerstown. Follow I-70 to Breezewood, PA. There, you will want to make a right to get to I-76 West. Take I-76 West through Pennsylvania and once you cross into Ohio, take the first exit (Exit 234) for I-680 North. Follow I-680 North to the 62 East/7 North exit (Exit 6B I believe). Take the 422 West exit. Once you get on 422 West, take the Fifth Avenue exit for YSU Stambaugh Stadium. Some houses nearby offer parking for a few bucks.

YSU is an excellent gameday atmosphere, but the parking isn't free like it is at JMU. YSU is in a "city setting" so of course you'll have to pay. I don't know what they will be charging, though. For regular season, usually $5-7.

Thanks Bill...I also live in Arlington (Ballston), so those directions are perfect!

Google maps says it's about a 5 hour drive...how long does that really take you?

bandl
November 21st, 2006, 07:42 AM
Thanks Bill...I live in Arlington, too, so those directions are perfect!

Google maps says it's about a 5 hour drive...how long does that really take you?

I can get to Pittsburgh from Old Town Alexandria (where I work) in about 3 1/2 hours, used to do that drive about once every other week for about a year. Y'town is about an hour past that. It's really not a bad drive.

Happy Penguin
November 21st, 2006, 08:12 AM
The Buffalo Wild Wings, 3 blocks south of campus according to their website:
http://buffalo.know-where.com/buffalowildwings/cgi/site?site=03076&address=&design=default&lang=en&mapid=US

and the Grant Street/5th Avenue intersection, which is at the southwest corner of Stambaugh Stadium (got a pretty good campus map off of YSU's website) appears to be alot more than 3 blocks from stadium (northwest side of campus). Mapquest says .85 mi (you can see what I mean if you pull it up on mapquest).

It doesn't look like any of the big parking/tailgate lots are near the BW3. I plan to hit the BW3, but also want to tailgate to after going to BW3 and before the game), and don't really want to move my vehicle in between but looks like may have to. Looks like JMU fans wanting to do the same will be in the same boat.

In other words, looks like there won't be any tailgating going on near the BW3. YSU fans- is this the case?

It's a pretty good hike from BW3's up to the stadium, and all uphill....I don't know of anyone that tailgates that far away.

Hang out there until 4 or so, then drive up and find a place to park near the stadium (parking deck, private yards....there are spots all over) and walk through the lots. I'm assuming they will already be sold out, you may want to try the lower lot for parking but M-24 lot always is full of pre-sales.

Once you're parked head on over to either lot, you'll find plenty of folks who'll accomidate you. And you can buy beer right in the lot so you don't look like a freeloader :smiley_wi

BillLuc1982
November 21st, 2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks Bill...I also live in Arlington (Ballston), so those directions are perfect!

Depends. From Arlington, about 4 hours and 40 minutes. Add in Frederick (not DC) rush hour traffic and that stat becomes 5 hours and 20 minutes. Leaving at 4:00 today. Should be back before 9:30.

Do you know where Glebe Road is? I live right on Glebe.

Dukie95
November 21st, 2006, 08:23 AM
Depends. From Arlington, about 4 hours and 40 minutes. Add in Frederick (not DC) rush hour traffic and that stat becomes 5 hours and 20 minutes. Leaving at 4:00 today. Should be back before 9:30.

Do you know where Glebe Road is? I live right on Glebe.

Traffic shouldn't be a problem leaving Saturday morning to go up to the game....returning on Sunday however...ugh

Of course I know Glebe Road..it goes through the whole county..I live just off Glebe further north...I assume since you're in Shirlington, you're South of Columbia pike, near Walter Reed Dr.

BillLuc1982
November 21st, 2006, 08:31 AM
Traffic shouldn't be a problem leaving Saturday morning to go up to the game....returning on Sunday however...ugh

Of course I know Glebe Road..it goes through the whole county..I live just off Glebe further north...I assume since you're in Shirlington, you're South of Columbia pike, near Walter Reed Dr.

Saturday morning isn't bad at all. I usually leave for Ohio on a weeknight (Tuesday in this case). Yeah I'm right by 395. Glebe is a superlong road.

UNH 40
November 21st, 2006, 09:22 AM

Agreed. However this is not the first time that the selection commitee has done this two years ago when i was a senior at UNH we were ranked the #5 team in all the polls we drew GSU who was the #4 sead in the first round of the playoffs. It is a worse draw for YSU than it is for JMU.

ysubigred
November 21st, 2006, 09:42 AM
Agreed. However this is not the first time that the selection commitee has done this two years ago when i was a senior at UNH we were ranked the #5 team in all the polls we drew GSU who was the #4 sead in the first round of the playoffs. It is a worse draw for YSU than it is for JMU.

Agreed! You think getting a seed means you get a easy 1st round game (If any of the other 15 teams can be considerd easy). After last years disapointment I'm excited that YSU is in :hurray: eventhougt we drew one of the best teams in the field right off the get go :eek:

Hell it could be worse; We could have gotten the Saluki treatment and sent to UMASS and no seed xidiotx Nothing the selection committee does suprises me :thumbsup:

Very Short President
November 21st, 2006, 09:48 AM
YSU's playoff run will be as short as me, President James Madison.

But let us see a good game. My friends who are coming home for Thanksgiving and I will be crowded around a big screen somewhere immersed in ESPN2 goodness. Cannot wait for 7:30pm Saturday to get here! Screw the turkey and stuffing, gimme JMU football!!!

howvan
November 21st, 2006, 10:22 AM
Quick question... is the JMU pep band going to be located near the YSU band, because that would not be a smart thing to do...
Whenever a pep band from the opposing team has visited, they've always sat in the upper right hand side of the east side seats. It's just easier to give them a whole block of seats. I would presume that it would be the same for this weekend.

howvan
November 21st, 2006, 10:26 AM
There's one in Harrisonburg right across the street from the campus, pretty good size, so maybe the folks doing the planning are assuming that it will be that way in Youngstown. So maybe it will get very crammed. All the more reason to get there earlier.:)
On Friday nights in the summer, BW3 hosts "party on the plaza," where they block off the sidewalk between BW3 and the street. The sidewalk's pretty big. I would presume that that's what they'll be doing on Saturday, since the inside is pretty small.

ChickenMan
November 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM
Agreed! You think getting a seed means you get a easy 1st round game (If any of the other 15 teams can be considerd easy). After last years disapointment I'm excited that YSU is in :hurray: eventhougt we drew one of the best teams in the field right off the get go :eek:

Hell it could be worse; We could have gotten the Saluki treatment and sent to UMASS and no seed xidiotx Nothing the selection committee does suprises me :thumbsup:

it happens more than you would expect... in '03 Delaware was 11-1 and the #2 seed and got 10-1 and ranked in the Top 5... SIU in the 1st round

mcveyrl
November 21st, 2006, 10:49 AM
it happens more than you would expect... in '03 Delaware was 11-1 and the #2 seed and got 10-1 and ranked in the Top 5... SIU in the 1st round

That worked out well for them...

HIU 93
November 21st, 2006, 12:33 PM
I see your education went far in your life! Thanks!

Oh- you want to start education smack? You form the school in mobbed up, rot gut, raggedy Youngstown? Let's see, Bachelor's Hampton, Master's UVA, Second Master's (Does it matter, I have TWO), career path has included- US Army, Teacher, and currently, Consultant. Oh yeah, I forgot the six figure salary. I guess my education did "[go] far", although education is an idea, inanimate, and can't actually "go" anywhere. Make sure your subjects and verbs agree before you start smacking with me, youngster.:thumbsup:

mcveyrl
November 21st, 2006, 12:38 PM
Oh- you want to start education smack? You form the school in mobbed up, rot gut, raggedy Youngstown? Let's see, Bachelor's Hampton, Master's UVA, Second Master's (Does it matter, I have TWO), career path has included- US Army, Teacher, and currently, Consultant. Oh yeah, I forgot the six figure salary. I guess my education did "[go] far", although education is an idea, inanimate, and can't actually "go" anywhere. Make sure your subjects and verbs agree before you start smacking with me, youngster.:thumbsup:

Wow. Nice.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

HIU 93
November 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM
You probably don't want to start that argument with a Hampton University grad... fair warning, its a pretty damned good school/with an alumni network that beats all. Trust me, don't go there. I hereby rescend FlyYtown's earlier comment for his own protection.

Thank you Madisonian. I like you already. I will be at Armstrong on Saturday watching my Pirates, but I will TIVO your game so I can watch my fellow Virginians stomp a mudhole in YSUcks and walk it dry.

GO DUKES!!!!

mcveyrl
November 21st, 2006, 12:44 PM
On Friday nights in the summer, BW3 hosts "party on the plaza," where they block off the sidewalk between BW3 and the street. The sidewalk's pretty big. I would presume that that's what they'll be doing on Saturday, since the inside is pretty small.

This phrase should scare the hell out of anybody planning on going on Saturday. Wear many clothes.

Happy Penguin
November 21st, 2006, 12:48 PM
Thank you Madisonian. I like you already. I will be at Armstrong on Saturday watching my Pirates, but I will TIVO your game so I can watch my fellow Virginians stomp a mudhole in YSUcks and walk it dry.

GO DUKES!!!!

Just be sure to stop back and pay respect if you lose. I looked at JMU's schedule and I didn't see a win against a power running team, should be interesting.

jmuduke999999999
November 21st, 2006, 01:01 PM
Just be sure to stop back and pay respect if you lose. I looked at JMU's schedule and I didn't see a win against a power running team, should be interesting.

Didn't look very closely then did you....URI runs and runs and runs, also I think you could make a pretty good case Richmond's offensive philosophy is about ball control and running the ball.

Happy Penguin
November 21st, 2006, 01:03 PM
Didn't look very closely then did you....URI runs and runs and runs, also I think you could make a pretty good case Richmond's offensive philosophy is about ball control and running the ball.

Wasn't URI 4-7 this season? Apples and Oranges my delusional friend.

Edit: Looks like they lit you up for 249 on the ground, but at least you won.

mcveyrl
November 21st, 2006, 01:05 PM

In all fairness to HP, I don't know that I would call them POWER running games though. Just because they're stubborn doesn't mean they're powerful.

Not Marcus Mason powerful. That dude scares me. He'll win the Payton.

Happy Penguin
November 21st, 2006, 01:09 PM
In all fairness to HP, I don't know that I would call them POWER running games though. Just because they're stubborn doesn't mean they're powerful.

Not Marcus Mason powerful. That dude scares me. He'll win the Payton.

I don't think he played enough games to get enough votes, but thanks for the nod.

Glad to see your QB on there as well, he seems like quite a playmaker from what I can find out.

HIU 93
November 21st, 2006, 01:12 PM

Yeah, and UNH is going to beat us by 50. Same crap, different spewers. JMU, please take these bamas to the woodshed!!!!!

bandl
November 21st, 2006, 01:19 PM
Well if we want to rewind this thread and look at the stats again... :rolleyes:

rush d - JMU #4, YSU #57
sacks - JMU #1, YSU #46

But we all know damn well that we can throw these stats out the window.

Happy Penguin
November 21st, 2006, 01:25 PM
Yeah, and UNH is going to beat us by 50. Same crap, different spewers. JMU, please take these bamas to the woodshed!!!!!

UNH is very beatable, that game is a toss-up as far as I'm concerned. It wouldn't be a major upset if you won it.

That being said, you're still acting like jerk. :thumbsup:

Contribute something tangable (if you have anything) or go troll somewhere else, like the smack board, and leave the internet for the grown ups. Do you even have a clue about this match-up?

also, what are bamas? Sorry I don't have a Hampton degree so I'm not up-to-date on that one.

Happy Penguin
November 21st, 2006, 01:27 PM
Well if we want to rewind this thread and look at the stats again... :rolleyes:

rush d - JMU #4, YSU #57
sacks - JMU #1, YSU #46

But we all know damn well that we can throw these stats out the window.

True, stats are meaningless this time of year. I just don't think you've seen an offense like ours, so don't count your success against VMI, Bloomsburg, W&M and the rest of the weak sisters you've played as evidence of what you'll do against us.

GoGuins
November 21st, 2006, 01:29 PM

Just like YSU did to Hampton in '97?:D

CentDukesFan
November 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM
True, stats are meaningless this time of year. I just don't think you've seen an offense like ours, so don't count your success against VMI, Bloomsburg, W&M and the rest of the weak sisters you've played as evidence of what you'll do against us.

hahahhaha thanks for pointing out our weakest opponents

we've seen better offenses than yours, UNH, Towson, and Richmond. Please, we look in the mirror and see a better offense than yours. xlolx xlolx xlolx

jmuduke999999999
November 21st, 2006, 01:44 PM
Wasn't URI 4-7 this season? Apples and Oranges my delusional friend.

Edit: Looks like they lit you up for 249 on the ground, but at least you won.

Appears as if you are the delusional one....your original statement was that JMU had not beaten a power running team this year, I simply posted two examples of that not being the case. And sorry, but if you don't consider the wishbone or option to be power running, most knowledgeable football fans would disagree with you.

mcveyrl
November 21st, 2006, 01:51 PM
Appears as if you are the delusional one....your original statement was that JMU had not beaten a power running team this year, I simply posted two examples of that not being the case. And sorry, but if you don't consider the wishbone or option to be power running, most knowledgeable football fans would disagree with you.

I agree that they're power running PHILOSOPHIES, but the personnel is where I think that the true definition of a power running GAME goes out the window.

A power running game includes the philosophy, the O-line and the running back. I would not be surprised if YSU had 250 on the ground against us (I wouldn't like it). I WAS surprised when URI had that. Not because of the philosophy, but because of the players.

jmuduke999999999
November 21st, 2006, 01:55 PM
I agree that they're power running PHILOSOPHIES, but the personnel is where I think that the true definition of a power running GAME goes out the window.

A power running game includes the philosophy, the O-line and the running back. I would not be surprised if YSU had 250 on the ground against us (I wouldn't like it). I WAS surprised when URI had that. Not because of the philosophy, but because of the players.

Personally I think its just the opposite, URI was going to run the bone all day long, whether they were up or down, they have no other choice....considering its not an offense you face everyday, and considering their resolute stance on running it I wasn't overly surprised they put up decent yardage on JMU. I don't see YSU doing that, if JMU jumps on them early, they are in trouble, power running against a good JMU run defense and an explosive JMU offense is a receipe for failure. Getting off to a good start is a key to this game for JMU, get up 2 TDs or so and its going to be hard for the Penguins to get back into the game, make it a slugfest and we play right into their hands.

Paladin1aa
November 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM
Loving it already. They don't call our power game "smash mouth" for nothing. :thumbsup:

Happy Penguin
November 21st, 2006, 02:00 PM

Perfectly stated, thank you.

What happened at the URI game....just a lot of attempts?

bandl
November 21st, 2006, 02:03 PM
Perfectly stated, thank you.

What happened at the URI game....just a lot of attempts?
I'd say so...
(URI/JMU)
NET YARDS RUSHING......... 249 247
Rushing Attempts............ 67 38
Average Per Rush............ 3.7 6.5
Yards Gained Rushing........ 321 254
Yards Lost Rushing.......... 72 7

Champs
November 21st, 2006, 02:05 PM
Wow. I'm feeling better already !!! LOL !!! Go Guins !!!