PDA

View Full Version : FCS Mock Draft

FanofFCS
April 16th, 2015, 01:00 PM
The Sports Network ran a mock draft of only FCS players.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_04_16_2015.htm

ursus arctos horribilis
April 16th, 2015, 02:18 PM
Nice work. That should get some debates rolling around here.xthumbsupx

Ivytalk
April 17th, 2015, 06:12 AM
Impressive Ivy picks! Two Harvard guys, plus Varga, in the first round!xthumbsupx

Mattymc727
April 17th, 2015, 07:07 AM
Still dont know how Tre McBride is a better pick than RJ Harris...

clenz
April 17th, 2015, 07:16 AM
If either DJ or X is a Booking next season I'll poop myself in excitement.

Both fill need/hole for the coming years and both look good in purple.

A 3rd and 5th round double of them would be a dream

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

jmufan999
April 17th, 2015, 10:32 AM
this is fun, but since when is DT a "glaring" need for the Vikings? it's arguably their deepest position, especially after re-signing Tom Johnson. they also have a young NT they're grooming and are pleased with so far, his name escapes me.

clenz
April 17th, 2015, 11:10 AM
this is fun, but since when is DT a "glaring" need for the Vikings? it's arguably their deepest position, especially after re-signing Tom Johnson. they also have a young NT they're grooming and are pleased with so far, his name escapes me.
Floyd, Johnson and Joseph after that the only other DT with any game experience is Stephen.

Johnson is over 30 and won't be resigned after his deal is done in 2018. He's only played a full season once in his a career. He's also not real good against the run. Something X excels at.
Floyd is only under contract through 2016 and it's a toss up if he'll want to resign
Joseph is under contract the longest, but his cap hit drops big time after 2016

In a 4-3 defense you really need 4 DTs to rotate.

Williams would be a cheap option to carry with a ton of upside that the Vikings really like. They are high on both DJ and Williams

jmufan999
April 17th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Floyd, Johnson and Joseph after that the only other DT with any game experience is Stephen.

Johnson is over 30 and won't be resigned after his deal is done in 2018. He's only played a full season once in his a career. He's also not real good against the run. Something X excels at.
Floyd is only under contract through 2016 and it's a toss up if he'll want to resign
Joseph is under contract the longest, but his cap hit drops big time after 2016

In a 4-3 defense you really need 4 DTs to rotate.

Williams would be a cheap option to carry with a ton of upside that the Vikings really like. They are high on both DJ and Williams

that's not my point. my point is that the article said it's a "glaring" need. it's not a glaring need, and again I reiterate it's one of the deepest on the team. Tom Johnson had a breakout year with 6.5 sacks. he's an excellent rotational guy. Zimmer has had nothing but great things to say about Shamar Stephen, Joseph's backup. oh and by the way, I'm guessing Joseph won't be SHOT in the preseason like last year. missing that much of the preseason hurt him in learning the system.

why would it be a "toss up" whether Floyd would want to resign? can't you say that about every player in every sport? if you're a Vikes fan, you know he made some really nice progress toward the end of the year. who doesn't love playing for Zimmer, anyway?

in terms of depth, that is one of the deepest positions. I didn't say it was perfect or can't be improved, but to call it a "glaring" weakness is just silly. you don't need stars at every position, and the DT group is just fine. you want to talk about OG/OT/LB depth, we can have that conversation.

please also note I'm not talking about the UNI player at all: only the "glaring weakness" comment. I know nothing about the UNI guy.

clenz
April 17th, 2015, 02:30 PM
that's not my point. my point is that the article said it's a "glaring" need. it's not a glaring need, and again I reiterate it's one of the deepest on the team. Tom Johnson had a breakout year with 6.5 sacks. he's an excellent rotational guy. Zimmer has had nothing but great things to say about Shamar Stephen, Joseph's backup. oh and by the way, I'm guessing Joseph won't be SHOT in the preseason like last year. missing that much of the preseason hurt him in learning the system.

why would it be a "toss up" whether Floyd would want to resign? can't you say that about every player in every sport? if you're a Vikes fan, you know he made some really nice progress toward the end of the year. who doesn't love playing for Zimmer, anyway?

in terms of depth, that is one of the deepest positions. I didn't say it was perfect or can't be improved, but to call it a "glaring" weakness is just silly. you don't need stars at every position, and the DT group is just fine. you want to talk about OG/OT/LB depth, we can have that conversation.

please also note I'm not talking about the UNI player at all: only the "glaring weakness" comment. I know nothing about the UNI guy.
I'll defer to non UNI fans (re: NDSU fans) but I would call him the most disruptive defensive lineman in the FCS the last two years, and it isn't really that close.

Soph year - over 50 tackles, multiple force fumbles, set school record with 5 blocked field goals.
JR year third in team with tackles (74), had 12 TFL and 6 sacks. Forced multiple fumbles
SR - 93 tackes (4th on team), 14 TFL, 8 sacks, 3 PBU, 3 pass deflections, 2 blocked kicks...oh, he also had a MINIMUM of 2 guys on him on every single snap of the season.

At 6'2 315lbs it's tough to look at DL combine results and compare him because the size difference and style difference across the DL. But his physicals compare very well to Carl Davis of Iowa. He's graded at a "very solid back up/potential to start"...

jmufan999
April 17th, 2015, 02:36 PM
I'll defer to non UNI fans (re: NDSU fans) but I would call him the most disruptive defensive lineman in the FCS the last two years, and it isn't really that close.

Soph year - over 50 tackles, multiple force fumbles, set school record with 5 blocked field goals.
JR year third in team with tackles (74), had 12 TFL and 6 sacks. Forced multiple fumbles
SR - 93 tackes (4th on team), 14 TFL, 8 sacks, 3 PBU, 3 pass deflections, 2 blocked kicks...oh, he also had a MINIMUM of 2 guys on him on every single snap of the season.

At 6'2 315lbs it's tough to look at DL combine results and compare him because the size difference and style difference across the DL. But his physicals compare very well to Carl Davis of Iowa. He's graded at a "very solid back up/potential to start"...

sounds like a player. now DJ I want on the vikes, no question. that kid has some serious skill. could see him fitting in really well with the Saints, the same way they used to use Bush. flex him out wide, put him in the slot, use him on HB screens, etc. dangerous.

clenz
April 17th, 2015, 02:50 PM
sounds like a player. now DJ I want on the vikes, no question. that kid has some serious skill. could see him fitting in really well with the Saints, the same way they used to use Bush. flex him out wide, put him in the slot, use him on HB screens, etc. dangerous.
Xavier is to the DL as DJ is to the RB position.

God dammit now I'm pissed at our old OC's again. I had moved passed it because one left and the other is no longer OC...now I cut the wound back open

FWIW, NFL.com lists the Vikings needs as LB, DL, DB AND OT. RB is listed too but with AP back I doubt that gets addressed unless he's moved.

I'm torn on that issue. The offense with AP is a scary good offense. Without him it's only slightly above average. So I'd like to see him stay, but if he stays is means there is almost no chance the Vikings take DJ - though they really like him from what I've heard. With his size he could be a RB, red zone slot guy, TE, etc...

I'd give one of my nuts for DJ to be a Viking

thebootfitter
April 17th, 2015, 05:12 PM
I'd give one of my nuts for DJ to be a Viking
Dude! You crazy!

I might consider a small personal sacrifice to see the Queens win a Superbowl, but just to see a player on the team? That's dedication, man!