PDA

View Full Version : Coastal Gains A Playoff Berth vs. App. St.

HailToTheChants
November 19th, 2006, 12:40 PM
Alright Coastal. Congratulations boys. :nod: It' Back to Boone for the re-match. Let's take care of business this time!!!:nod:

:bow: Hail to the Chants!!! :bow:

Dabnus Brickey
November 19th, 2006, 12:41 PM
I'm going, are there any good barbecue places up there?

peaster68
November 19th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Congrats on the playoff birth!!!!! One question, If CSU would have won, would they be playing App State?

HailToTheChants
November 19th, 2006, 12:45 PM
MAn, I want to go so badly, but I don't know if it will go over very well with my fiancee. I'm am driving home from Indy on Tuesday night, and have seen very little of her for the next 2 and a half months. Well, if I can't talk her into it, I will definately watch it on TV, and if we win I will definately be going to the second round. But let's not put the cart before the horse. Have a good week at practice boys, and I wish you the best of luck for next saturday. One way or anoth you will always have my support.

Hail To The Chants!!!

HailToTheChants
November 19th, 2006, 12:47 PM
No, CSU couldn't get in because even if they won they would not have the 7 Division I wins required to get in. But congrats to them on a good season. I am glad to see some Big South teams coming around.

BeauFoster
November 19th, 2006, 12:53 PM

Woodlands BBQ in Blowing Rock. It will be packed, however. There is also Bandana's in Boone - not as good, put will do in a pinch.

CCU97
November 19th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Should be a great game...Boone is a tough place to travel and win but the Chants will play with everything they have!

asu70
November 19th, 2006, 12:55 PM
The Woodlands between Blowing Rock and Boone on 321 is about as good as it gets. Hope you guys bring a great crowd and we enjoy a great playoff game.

kardplayer
November 19th, 2006, 12:57 PM
MAn, I want to go so badly, but I don't know if it will go over very well with my fiancee. I'm am driving home from Indy on Tuesday night, and have seen very little of her for the next 2 and a half months. Well, if I can't talk her into it, I will definately watch it on TV, and if we win I will definately be going to the second round. But let's not put the cart before the horse. Have a good week at practice boys, and I wish you the best of luck for next saturday. One way or anoth you will always have my support.

Hail To The Chants!!!

The decisions you make and the places you cave now will set the tone for the rest of your marriage.

Step up and tell her you have to go to the game!

dbackjon
Congrats on the first berth!!

Coastal-Effect
How is the weather in boone right now?

HiHiYikas
November 19th, 2006, 12:58 PM
There is also Bandana's in Boone - not as good, but will do in a pinch.
I ate at Bandana's for the first time when I was Boone back in October. Coming from town, it requires a left turn off 421, and a left turn off 421 onto 321 to get back to town.

So give yourself 3 or 4 hours travel time on gameday...:rolleyes:

Or just go to Woodlands

SirApp
November 19th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Congrats on the berth CCU.

Hope to see some of ya'll on the 25th

lizrdgizrd
Congrats to the Chants! Maybe you'll get to see some snow before you have to go home.

HiHiYikas
There is also Bandana's in Boone - not as good, but will do in a pinch.
I ate at Bandana's for the first time when I was Boone back in October. Coming from town, it requires a left turn off 421, and a left onto 321 from 421 to get back to town.

So give yourself 3 or 4 hours travel time on gameday...

HiHiYikas
November 19th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Bandana's in Boone - not as good, but will do in a pinch.
I ate at Bandana's for the first time when I was Boone back in October. Coming from town, it requires a left turn off 421, and a left onto 321 from 421 to get back to town.

So give yourself 3 or 4 hours travel time on gameday...

Or just go to Woodland's like everybody else seems to be saying

SirApp
November 19th, 2006, 01:03 PM
How is the weather in boone right now?

It's cold right now, but early forecasts says high in the 50's.

www.booneweather.com

Mountaineer
November 19th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Congrats to Coastal! Can't wait to see you guys Saturday.

Right now in Boone it's cold and overcast..a little rain falling..expected to turn to snow tonight..not sure about Saturday.

appfan2008
November 19th, 2006, 01:19 PM
lets get some score calling going on

i say:
ASU 35
CCU 21

CCU97
November 19th, 2006, 01:21 PM
CCU pulls a shocker and upsets App St in OT....28-24

SuperJon
November 19th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Don't bother asking for the weather in Boone. If you wait five minutes, the weather will change. That city has some crazy weather.

matfu
November 19th, 2006, 01:52 PM
as a furman fan i predict app state and montana state in the quarters! i don't think either coastal or furman has much of a chance. i would much rather be going to texas state (a warm climate) like ga southern last year. we got hosed but that is part of life.

AlphaSigMD
November 19th, 2006, 02:02 PM
And to continue the BBQ talk...Cookout Burger is pretty good too(it still pales in comparison to woodlands)...but for Barbeque at 3am...you can't beat it.

The cheerwine floats rock too.

HiHiYikas
November 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM
That city has some crazy weather.

And the guys at Booneweather.com stay busy keeping up with it. If the weatherman in San Diego has the easiest job in the world, the weathermen in Boone must have one of the toughest.

http://booneweather.com/Forecast/Boone

Today's headline "Light Snow on the Way"

There's a webcam trained down on ASU's campus from Howard's Knob. Refresh your browser, and the picture might go from this...
http://p.vtourist.com/1853953-ASU_taken_from_Howards_Knob-Boone.jpg

to this...

http://www.astronomy-images.com/day-images/PolarBears/bears-2000/bear-blizzard.5x7x72.jpg

http://booneweather.com/Webcams/Howards+Knob

BigApp
November 19th, 2006, 02:17 PM
The decisions you make and the places you cave now will set the tone for the rest of your marriage.

Step up and tell her you have to go to the game!

I'll second that! Before I got married, I made it crystal clear where Appalachian (and especially App football) fit into my life.

And haven't had a single problem with it in 7 years (total). :)

ericappstate
November 19th, 2006, 02:24 PM

How exactly do you plan on winning by 4 in OT?

rokamortis
November 19th, 2006, 02:33 PM
How exactly do you plan on winning by 4 in OT?

In that scenario, tied at 21 going into OT. ASU kicks FG, CCU scores TD.

ericappstate
November 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM
In that scenario, tied at 21 going into OT. ASU kicks FG, CCU scores TD.

I don't believe that you kick the extra point.

rokamortis
November 19th, 2006, 02:39 PM
I don't believe that you kick the extra point.
oops - nice point.

ASU_Chad
November 19th, 2006, 02:45 PM
ASU's press release about the game next Saturday.

http://www.goasu.com/article/9726/

keydet71
November 19th, 2006, 03:08 PM
Congrats Coastal....but dang, you are playing one of my 'ol time SoCon favorites (it's an age thing...remembering them as ASTC). Nonetheless, you earned it this year and I'll admit a degree of envy given the age of your program. Enjoy!

tralfangar
November 19th, 2006, 03:46 PM
There is that new place where Wishbone's used to be. It's called Baxter's and they have pretty decent ribs and barbeque. I've never been much of a fan of Woodlands....but maybe that's because I like eastern NC barbeque. Wilbur's in Goldsboro is the best!

As for the game...I hope it's the same as the last time the chants came to town ;) especially since I'm not going to be able to make it!

HailToTheChants
November 19th, 2006, 05:33 PM
I hear you guys about the whole marraige thing, but there are other things I've missed in the last 2 and a half months that can't exactly be discussed on this website. I am sure the game will be great, and if my dreams come true I will definately make game 2. I have to ask though. Say Coastal won, and Furman won. Who would host round 2? I know it's improbable for both teams to upset on the road, but I am curious.

HAIL TO THE CHANTS!!!

Appguy
November 19th, 2006, 05:36 PM
I would say furman with the higher poll ranking. not sure how they decide it

rokamortis
November 19th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Say Coastal won, and Furman won. Who would host round 2? I know it's improbable for both teams to upset on the road, but I am curious.

HAIL TO THE CHANTS!!!

I believe it would come down to the bids already submitted and the other factors the committee uses.

FU97
November 19th, 2006, 05:41 PM

That is an impossible overtime score.

FU97
November 19th, 2006, 05:44 PM
I would say furman with the higher poll ranking. not sure how they decide it

Didn't help us in the first round. Higher bid would get it.

appst97
November 19th, 2006, 05:57 PM
That is an impossible overtime score.

highly, highly, HIGHLY improbable...but not impossible

Peems
November 19th, 2006, 06:00 PM
no its impossible. as already stated on this thread. if a team kicked a field goal in OT and then the other team scored a TD there would be no need for a PAT since the game would be over.

appst97
November 19th, 2006, 06:02 PM
no its impossible. as already stated on this thread. if a team kicked a field goal in OT and then the other team scored a TD there would be no need for a PAT since the game would be over.

Assume the score is tied at 22.....

Appguy
November 19th, 2006, 06:05 PM
no, it is impossible bc they dont kick the xrta point if the losing team gets 3 and winner gets a td after that. the only way it could happen would be if a team scored a TD then for some reason the next team got a field goal which is also basically impossible

appst97
November 19th, 2006, 06:08 PM
no, it is impossible bc they dont kick the xrta point if the losing team gets 3 and winner gets a td after that. the only way it could happen would be if a team scored a TD then for some reason the next team got a field goal which is also basically impossible

Assume the score is tied at 22...CCU gets the ball first... scores a TD but misses PAT...28-22 ....next play.... interception...instead of going down, the Defensive player fumbles out of the back of the endzone for a safety, or gets tackled in the endzone for a safety......like I said...highly improbable

OldFootballGuy
November 19th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Assume the score is tied at 22.....

If the score were tied at 22 and ASU somehow managed to score a safety, the game would be over right then. There would be no need for ASU to have an offensive possession. However, Coastal could score first in the OT and have the extra point blocked and returned for two points by ASU then ASU could fail to score on their possession. So, as you said, it is highly unlikely, but possible.

appst97
November 19th, 2006, 06:16 PM
If the score were tied at 22 and ASU somehow managed to score a safety, the game would be over right then. There would be no need for ASU to have an offensive possession. However, Coastal could score first in the OT and have the extra point blocked and returned for two points by ASU then ASU could fail to score on their possession. So, as you said, it is highly unlikely, but possible.

ask Bobby Lamb how improbable a returned PAT is

Dabnus Brickey
November 19th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I've actuall eaten at Wilbur's. My uncle is a retired doctor who used to practice in Goldsboro. We ate there. He told me two things about that place. 1. Don't worry about the planes flying over head and 2. If you're going to be shy about eating, don't go there. Good food, my man.

CCUCheer
November 19th, 2006, 10:17 PM
I gotta say, i'm super excited about Coastal getting into the playoffs, but i'm a little nervous now. I was talking to a couple of my cheerleaders and they said that a bunch of the football players were really discouraged when they found out they were playing App State... I mean rightfully so since they are a great program, but with negative attitudes going into the game I just don't see how they could even try to compete? : smh : Some are just going in there expecting to lose. That is not what I like to hear. Anyways, it will be rough with the turf, cold weather, and thinner air, but I hope the best for Coastal. Also, what is the deal... Apparently for playoffs only 12 cheerleaders and ONE coach can travel... so I guess I can't go? Unless I drive myself which I probably will do, but that is messed up lol. Oh well, have a great night all xoxo
<3 Katie :rotateh:

Souza
November 19th, 2006, 10:23 PM
I gotta say, i'm super excited about Coastal getting into the playoffs, but i'm a little nervous now. I was talking to a couple of my cheerleaders and they said that a bunch of the football players were really discouraged when they found out they were playing App State... I mean rightfully so since they are a great program, but with negative attitudes going into the game I just don't see how they could even try to compete? : smh : Some are just going in there expecting to lose.

Katie, from who I talked to at the basketball game they were very optimistic. This included thigpen. They talked more about hosting a second round game than the app state game. Obviously not to overlook the hicks but they have a confidence in themselves. They are looking forward to getting some retribution for their most embarassing loss of their careers.

ericappstate
November 20th, 2006, 01:08 AM
It is possible. If the scores were tied at 22 and Coastal scored a td the score would be 28-22. If they went for 2 and ASU intercepted and returned it for 2 and they didn't score a touchdown on their offensive possesion the score would be 28-24.

Dabnus Brickey
November 20th, 2006, 06:15 AM
I gotta say, i'm super excited about Coastal getting into the playoffs, but i'm a little nervous now. I was talking to a couple of my cheerleaders and they said that a bunch of the football players were really discouraged when they found out they were playing App State... I mean rightfully so since they are a great program, but with negative attitudes going into the game I just don't see how they could even try to compete? : smh : Some are just going in there expecting to lose. That is not what I like to hear. Anyways, it will be rough with the turf, cold weather, and thinner air, but I hope the best for Coastal. Also, what is the deal... Apparently for playoffs only 12 cheerleaders and ONE coach can travel... so I guess I can't go? Unless I drive myself which I probably will do, but that is messed up lol. Oh well, have a great night all xoxo
<3 Katie :rotateh:

You can ride with us!!!

appst97
November 20th, 2006, 06:29 AM
Katie, from who I talked to at the basketball game they were very optimistic. This included thigpen. They talked more about hosting a second round game than the app state game. Obviously not to overlook the hicks but they have a confidence in themselves. They are looking forward to getting some retribution for their most embarassing loss of their careers.

Hicks vs Chicks My money is on the hicks

Dabnus Brickey
November 20th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I bet there's a lot of chicks at ASU?

CCU97
November 20th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Dab,

No doubt....I've been to App St many times and they have some very beautiful women on their campus....but then again no college is full of just ugly people....

Dabnus Brickey
November 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM
True!!! I've thought about ASU, there's got to be some foxy snow bunnies up there.

SuperJon
November 20th, 2006, 09:55 AM
I bet there's a lot of chicks at ASU?

Understatement of the year. There are some nice girls up there, and they like to keep warm...