JMU
UNH
Furman
Illinois St
S. Illinois
Coastal Carolina
Portland St
E. Illinois

Since the Committee always seems to throw us a curveball on Selection Sunday, who gets Woofed? I think EIU is the last team in while PSU is the 2nd to last. Will one of them be out?

Cincy App
November 19th, 2006, 07:53 AM
By the way, it would seem that the GPI would indicate these at-large teams:

JMU
Illinois St (would drop but not out of the top 8)
UNH
PSU
SIU
Furman
San Diego
N. Iowa

Does this look right, Ralph?

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 08:09 AM
UNI is toast!

Cincy App
November 19th, 2006, 08:18 AM
TSN Poll would suggest these at-large teams:

Illinois St (won't drop out of top 8)
James Madison
Furman
UNH
S. Illinois
Coastal Carolina
San Diego
E. Illinois

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 08:19 AM
LOL Cincy boy----you know SAN DIEGO IS DONE!!!

ISUMatt
November 19th, 2006, 08:21 AM
WOOFED...

San Diego
Noorthern Iowa
Montana State
Wofford

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 09:15 AM
............are you really being WOOFED with 4 L's?

HensRock
November 19th, 2006, 09:19 AM
This is easy:

North Dakota State

If any deserving team is being left out of the playoffs this year, it's the NDSU Bison!

:nod: :nod: :nod:

TypicalTribe
November 19th, 2006, 10:15 AM
As opposed to past years, I don't think anyone is really going to get woofed in the traditional sense, since it's fairly easy to come up with a rationale to leave any team out, especially the ones with four losses. I think it's harder to figure out who should get in than in any year I've ever seen.

As for HensRock's point, I believe that NDSU is the best team in the country and it's really a shame that they're not eligible for the playoffs this year.

PantherMan
November 19th, 2006, 10:37 AM
In all honesty, I don't see how Eastern Illinois gets an at-large. That would set the precedent of making an all out effort to schedule Hawaii or another team to get a 12 game schedule. Portland State would set another very bad precedent; schedule as many IA money games as possible, lose the games you're supposed to and get an at-large. Bad idea.:eyebrow:

PS: Most talented team not going to be in the field of 16; UNI. Gets Farley an early start on the recruiting trail for a championship next season though...

I-AA Fan
November 19th, 2006, 10:51 AM
In all honesty, I don't see how Eastern Illinois gets an at-large. That would set the precedent of making an all out effort to schedule Hawaii or another team to get a 12 game schedule. Portland State would set another very bad precedent; schedule as many IA money games as possible, lose the games you're supposed to and get an at-large. Bad idea.:eyebrow:

PS: Most talented team not going to be in the field of 16; UNI. Gets Farley an early start on the recruiting trail for a championship next season though...

Nice post. I am not certain I completely agree with the EIU comments, but you are right on with PSU. Three IA games should never be encouraged.

As to PSU vs UNI...Remember, the NCAA is supposed to be a system of Regions and Conferences. Now, when we see equality in record (at least numerically), the only fair way to judge teams is within their respective conferences. EIU is a one-loss conference club, from a greatly-improved Ohio Valley; the NCAA is compelled to reward the OVC. PSU and UNI are two-loss conference clubs, but this one was settled on a national/regional basis when UNI lost to DII (although a quality program) club and PSU defeated a IA (although weak as water) club. Personally, I would take Delaware State, but the NCAA needs anything they can get from the weak west, and the southland offers nothing they could get away with.

PantherMan
November 19th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Nice post. I am not certain I completely agree with the EIU comments, but you are right on with PSU. Three IA games should never be encouraged.

As to PSU vs UNI...Remember, the NCAA is supposed to be a system of Regions and Conferences. Now, when we see equality in record (at least numerically), the only fair way to judge teams is within their respective conferences. EIU is a one-loss conference club, from a greatly-improved Ohio Valley; the NCAA is compelled to reward the OVC. PSU and UNI are two-loss conference clubs, but this one was settled on a national/regional basis when UNI lost to DII (although a quality program) club and PSU defeated a IA (although weak as water) club. Personally, I would take Delaware State, but the NCAA needs anything they can get from the weak west, and the southland offers nothing they could get away with.

It's unfortunate that the UND loss is going to haunt the Panthers; as UNI is the best bubble team available. In my opinion, there are TWO (2) at-large spots up for grabs, and only 4 teams that have ANY chance at them.

UNI- long shot
CCU- long shot
PSU- even money
EIU- Very good shot:twocents:

Hansel
November 19th, 2006, 10:59 AM
PS: Most talented team not going to be in the field of 16; UNI

I would have to disagree with you there ;)

ISUMatt
November 19th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Having that lower division team scheduled killed YSU last yr and losing to one will kill UNI this yr...The lesson should be learned for next season for everyone now

AppGuy04
November 19th, 2006, 11:20 AM
............are you really being WOOFED with 4 L's?

this year, yes

UMass922
November 19th, 2006, 11:31 AM
PSU and UNI are two-loss conference clubs, but this one was settled on a national/regional basis when UNI lost to DII (although a quality program) club and PSU defeated a IA (although weak as water) club.

This is the argument everyone makes: UNI lost to a D-II, PSU beat a I-A, end of story. But that's only part of the picture. If UNI's and PSU's resumes were otherwise equal/comparable, then yes, that would make a good tiebreaker. But when you look at how the two teams performed against top I-AA competition--which ought to be as important a criterion for playoff selection as any--UNI absolutely blows PSU out of the water. UNI has wins over South Dakota State, Youngstown State, Western Kentucky, and Illinois State. PSU beat . . . Northern Arizona? By my count, that means UNI has four I-AA wins that are better than PSU's best I-AA win. That's a substantial difference. UNI beat the two best I-AA teams on its schedule (YSU and ILS); PSU lost to the two best I-AA teams on its schedule (Montana and Montana State). But anyway, even when you add the New Mexico win for PSU, that still gives UNI a 4-2 edge in quality wins. And, to be fair, do we want to say that UNI's D-II loss negates the force of one of its quality wins? Fine, let's penalize UNI with a deduction from their quality-win total. They still have a 3-2 edge.

I don't know what else to say. Obviously not many people agree with me; obviously most people think the D-II loss undoes all of UNI's quality-win work. I admit that, realistically, PSU is probably going to get in over UNI, even though I don't think that would be fair.

I won't say, though, (to get to to the topic of the thread,) that UNI will have been "woofed" if it doesn't get in. I don't think it's possible for any team to be "woofed" this year, because we're talking about seven-win/four-loss teams--teams that wouldn't be getting a whiff of the playoffs most other years. Same thing if PSU (or even EIU, for that matter) doesn't make it. Any team that gets left out will have a glaring negative on its resume that it could have handled but didn't. For UNI, it will be the D-II loss; for PSU and EIU, it will have been the failure to cash in on any of their opportunities for marquee I-AA wins (in EIU's case, against ILS and UT-M).

Hansel
November 19th, 2006, 11:36 AM
This is the argument everyone makes: UNI lost to a D-II, PSU beat a I-A, end of story. But that's only part of the picture. If UNI's and PSU's resumes were otherwise equal/comparable, then yes, that would make a good tiebreaker. But when you look at how the two teams performed against top I-AA competition--which ought to be as important a criterion for playoff selection as any--UNI absolutely blows PSU out of the water. UNI has wins over South Dakota State, Youngstown State, Western Kentucky, and Illinois State. PSU beat . . . Northern Arizona? By my count, that means UNI has four I-AA wins that are better than PSU's best I-AA win. That's a substantial difference. UNI beat the two best I-AA teams on its schedule (YSU and ILS); PSU lost to the two best I-AA teams on its schedule (Montana and Montana State). But anyway, even when you add the New Mexico win for PSU, that still gives UNI a 4-2 edge in quality wins. And, to be fair, do we want to say that UNI's D-II loss negates the force of one of its quality wins? Fine, let's penalize UNI with a deduction from their quality-win total. They still have a 3-2 edge.

I don't know what else to say. Obviously not many people agree with me; obviously most people think the D-II loss undoes all of UNI's quality-win work. I admit that, realistically, PSU is probably going to get in over UNI, even though I don't think that would be fair.

I won't say, though, (to get to to the topic of the thread,) that UNI will have been "woofed" if it doesn't get in. I don't think it's possible for any team to be "woofed" this year, because we're talking about seven-win/four-loss teams--teams that wouldn't be getting a whiff of the playoffs most other years. Same thing if PSU (or even EIU, for that matter) doesn't make it. Any team that gets left out will have a glaring negative on its resume that it could have handled but didn't. For UNI, it will be the D-II loss; for PSU and EIU, it will have been the failure to cash in on any of their opportunities for marquee I-AA wins (in EIU's case, against ILS and UT-M).
don't forget the Western Illinois loss (at home)

WIU was 5-6 but their other 4 wins were against

Morehead St (2-9 non-scholly)
Kentucky Wesleyan (0-11 DII)
Northern Colorado (1-10)
Indiana State (1-10)

WIU also lost to 2-9 Missouri State

that loss is probably worse than the one to UND

JMU-MRD-DAD
November 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
this year, yes
We are about to find out which team will be woofed!!!!!!!!!!

With 16 teams getting an invite.....I would not like to be sitting with 4 L's....waiting to hear my team called.....

Tod
November 19th, 2006, 11:52 AM

Northern Colorado (1-10)
Indiana State (1-10)

Good point. PSU, with the possible exceptions of MSU and UNM, beat the teams they should have and lost to those they should have.

If nothing else, it's easier to gauge PSU.

UMass922
November 19th, 2006, 11:56 AM

Northern Colorado (1-10)
Indiana State (1-10)

UND might be a better team than WIU, but we all know that doesn't matter. UND bears that dreaded D-II label, which makes that the easy loss to point to when people want a reason to leave out UNI in favor of PSU.

But anyway, yes, WIU is a bad loss as well. UNI has been an inconsistent team, obviously; the gap between their highs and lows makes them a difficult team to gauge. I guess some people just place more weight on the lows, whereas I place more weight on the highs. This is the way I look at it: even with the bad losses, UNI has at least offered substantial evidence that it can play with (and beat) the very best I-AA has to offer. PSU has not done that. That's why, their records being identical, I take UNI as my playoff team. But that's just my philosophy; obviously most folks don't subscribe to it.

Coastal89
November 19th, 2006, 11:58 AM
It's unfortunate that the UND loss is going to haunt the Panthers; as UNI is the best bubble team available. In my opinion, there are TWO (2) at-large spots up for grabs, and only 4 teams that have ANY chance at them.

UNI- long shot
CCU- long shot
PSU- even money
EIU- Very good shot:twocents:
I really am having a hard time seeing this like you do.
here is a list of the most impressive wins by each team
EIU- your favorite
EKU-6-5
TSU-6-5
JSU-6-5

PSU-even money?
NAU 6-5

CCU-Long shot:rolleyes:
CSU 9-2
FU 8-3
Woff 7-4
SCSU 7-4
GWU 6-5
LU 6-5

UNI-long shot
Drake 9-2
YSU 9-2
Ill St 8-3
SDSU 7-4
WKU 6-5

So the way I see it, your two long shots have the best resumes out of the four.

Tod
November 19th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I really am having a hard time seeing this like you do.
here is a list of the most impressive wins by each team
EIU- your favorite
EKU-6-5
TSU-6-5
JSU-6-5

PSU-even money?
NAU 6-5

CCU-Long shot:rolleyes:
CSU 9-2
FU 8-3
Woff 7-4
SCSU 7-4
GWU 6-5
LU 6-5

UNI-long shot
Drake 9-2
YSU 9-2
Ill St 8-3
SDSU 7-4
WKU 6-5

So the way I see it, your two long shots have the best resumes out of the four.

You're correct, no doubt. I do think you have to give UNM to PSU. Other than that...:thumbsup:

redbirdtim
November 19th, 2006, 12:05 PM
An argument for UNI...UNI beat YSU and ISU. ISU beat EIU.
I would put UNI as a better team than EIU right now, but that does not mean that UNI will get in over EIU. Who knows, maybe both will get picked, maybe neither.

bisonguy
November 19th, 2006, 12:11 PM

The fact that UNI had a DII loss may or may not make it worse, but wouldn't PSU have the advantage of an exclusive DI schedule, which can hold more merit?

From the at-large selection criteria of the DI Football Championship Handbook (http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2006/2006_d1_football_handbook.pdf)

Championship Selection
[Reference: Bylaws 31.01.2, 31.01.3 and 31.3 in the NCAA Manual.]
At-large teams shall be selected by the Division I-AA football committee, assisted by
four regional advisory committees that serve in an advisory capacity only.
The following principles shall apply when selecting at-large teams:
1. The committee shall select the best teams available on a national at-large basis to
complete the bracket;
2. There is no limit to the number of teams the committee may select from one
conference;
3. The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of
schedule; however, less than seven Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of
not being selected;
4. The committee may give more consideration to those teams that have played all
Division I opponents; and
5. If the team of a committee member is under consideration, the member may not vote
for the team being considered and will not be in the room when a vote is taken.
[See Appendix B (page 29) for a map of the geographical regions.]

UMass922
November 19th, 2006, 12:17 PM
The fact that UNI had a DII loss may or may not make it worse, but wouldn't PSU have the advantage of an exclusive DI schedule, which can hold more merit?

From the at-large selection criteria of the DI Football Championship Handbook (http://www.ncaa.org/library/handbooks/football/2006/2006_d1_football_handbook.pdf)

PSU has played 11 D-I games, UNI 10.

PSU has played 9 I-AA games, UNI 9.

I don't think that's a substantial enough difference to matter. It's probably the D-II loss that kills UNI, not the raw number of D-I games. I have nothing more I can say in UNI's defense. I've tried my best. Whatever.

BigApp
November 19th, 2006, 12:21 PM
This is easy:

North Dakota State

If any deserving team is being left out of the playoffs this year, it's the NDSU Bison!

:nod: :nod: :nod:

They're not eligible for selection, therefore they're not eligible to be Woofed.