PDA

View Full Version : San Diego and San Diego State to play on 9/5

hebmskebm
April 8th, 2015, 05:04 PM
USD drops NAU to play SDSU. PFL vs. FBS baby!

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=815044

hebmskebm
April 8th, 2015, 05:05 PM
USD's full schedule

http://www.usdtoreros.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/usd-m-footbl-sched.html

bonarae
April 8th, 2015, 05:08 PM
That's great, but it's going to be ugly straight away. xsmhx

slostang
April 8th, 2015, 06:26 PM
I hope NAU got a nice check. It is going to be hard for them to find a replacement this late in the game.

BisonFan02
April 8th, 2015, 06:43 PM
Dumpster fire..........a LARGE one....

RichH2
April 8th, 2015, 06:56 PM
Daunting to say the least. SD will be lucky to avoid serious injuries.

dbackjon
April 8th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Why would SDSU do that? don't they know that USD is not a counter?

And thanks for screwing us over....

dbackjon
April 8th, 2015, 07:07 PM
NAU got the shaft because of UAB dropping football...

dgtw
April 8th, 2015, 07:10 PM

Yeah, that really sucks for y'all. Jax State got dropped recently by Furnan, but at least Furman got an FBS game. This just makes no sense.

We were able to pick up a SWAC game, which is better than DII or NAIA. I hope you can find someone, at this late date it will be tough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dbackjon
April 8th, 2015, 07:17 PM
I guess there are a few G5 teams with openings - will be back east somewhere.

dgtw
April 8th, 2015, 09:26 PM
NAU got the shaft because of UAB dropping football...

What does that have to do with it?

JSUBison
April 9th, 2015, 12:01 AM
FBS vs Pioneer, lol. I guess this theory some of you have about the CFB will cause FBS to no longer schedule FCS games isn't looking too good about now if this type of disaster game is happening.

Libertine
April 9th, 2015, 07:20 AM
Oh, boy. NAU already has a D2 on the schedule, too.

nwFL Griz
April 9th, 2015, 10:54 AM
I guess there are a few G5 teams with openings - will be back east somewhere.

What is G5? If you are referring to the non-power 5 FBS conferences, then no, there are no openings. SDSU was the last FBS team with an opening.

I'm still showing Murray St with a Sep 5 opening and Jacksonville with an Oct 17 opening, perhaps y'all can work something out?

FUBeAR
April 9th, 2015, 11:23 AM

Maybe they are...they did have a 'little problem' with giving athletic scholarships in 2013.

"The NCAA allows one victory per season over a Division I FCS (formerly I-AA) team to count toward an FBS team's bowl eligibility, so long as the FCS team has supplied financial aid for football averaging out to at least 56.7 full scholarships (90% of the limit of 63 allowed to FCS schools) over "a rolling two-year period" that can include the current season."

Maybe they gave enough athletic money in 2013 to count. If they gave 114 full athletic scholarships in 2013 and 0 in 2014, that could work, I think....though that would have put them 51 over the FCS limit and 114 over the PFL limit. xeyebrowx

DetroitFlyer
April 9th, 2015, 12:02 PM
Not a counter for State. 350,000 reasons for USD to play this local game. Jim Harbaugh is smiling

dbackjon
April 9th, 2015, 12:33 PM
What does that have to do with it?

Chain reaction of teams adjusting schedules to add games back.

dbackjon
April 9th, 2015, 12:34 PM
What is G5? If you are referring to the non-power 5 FBS conferences, then no, there are no openings. SDSU was the last FBS team with an opening.

I'm still showing Murray St with a Sep 5 opening and Jacksonville with an Oct 17 opening, perhaps y'all can work something out?

Yes - Group of 5 (MAC, AAC, CUSA, Sun Belt and MW).

That is what NAU Athletic Department said...

nwFL Griz
April 9th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Yes - Group of 5 (MAC, AAC, CUSA, Sun Belt and MW).

That is what NAU Athletic Department said...

Well, they are wrong, unless, of course they are working back channel stuff that will end up screwing over some other team. Every FBS team now has an officially announced schedule.

nwFL Griz
April 10th, 2015, 10:56 AM
And just like that, both the suggestions I made are gone, as both Murray St and Jax announced schedules today.

Twentysix
April 13th, 2015, 12:25 PM
FBS vs Pioneer, lol. I guess this theory some of you have about the CFB will cause FBS to no longer schedule FCS games isn't looking too good about now if this type of disaster game is happening.

I'm not sure it really makes any difference what quality the non-FBS team is. Obviously the W/L and score will be different if SanDiegoSt played NDSU rather than USanDiego, but I'm not sure the playoff likelyhood changes at all for SanDiegoSt.

dbackjon
April 13th, 2015, 12:39 PM
I'm not sure it really makes any difference what quality the non-FBS team is. Obviously the W/L and score will be different if SanDiegoSt played NDSU rather than USanDiego, but I'm not sure the playoff likelyhood changes at all for SanDiegoSt.

The fact that USD is NOT a counter for bowl eligibility might become an issue. It is basically an exhibition game.

Twentysix
April 13th, 2015, 06:40 PM
The fact that USD is NOT a counter for bowl eligibility might become an issue. It is basically an exhibition game.

Regardless of counter status, playing an FCS game probably keeps a MWC team out of the playoffs though.

dbackjon
April 13th, 2015, 07:10 PM
Regardless of counter status, playing an FCS game probably keeps a MWC team out of the playoffs though.

A number of MWC teams played FCS games last year, and Boise got the access spot. No MWC team is going to get to the CFP, regardless.

FargoBison
April 13th, 2015, 08:10 PM
Playing USD is going to be an SOS bomb, doubt their MWC brethren are very happy right now.

Twentysix
April 14th, 2015, 12:20 AM
A number of MWC teams played FCS games last year, and Boise got the access spot. No MWC team is going to get to the CFP, regardless.

Boise St did not play an FCS team though. So it hardly refutes what I said.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/mtn-west/2014-boise-state-broncos-football-schedule.php

dbackjon
April 14th, 2015, 02:53 PM
Boise St did not play an FCS team though. So it hardly refutes what I said.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-14/mtn-west/2014-boise-state-broncos-football-schedule.php

San Diego State is not likely to crack the top 20 this year regardless.

clenz
April 14th, 2015, 06:47 PM
With something like 84 bowl slots it won't matter.

They will have 7 or 8 wine without the USD game.

Even if they are at 6 or 7 with the USD win there is no way the Potatoes (or whatever it is), New Mexico, Bahamas, or Las Vegas bowl all pass the over I'm favor of another SBC or CUSA program

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk