PDA

View Full Version : Comparison of App. St/Montana/UMass

Zangzigger
November 18th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Here are their resumes. According to these stats, it looks like UMass has had the most impressive season, yet many are prediciting them to be a #3 seed. Am I missing something?

Record:
UMass 10-1
Montana 10-1
App St. 11-1

Only Loss:
UMass Lost 21-20 to Navy on the road (ranked #33 in Sagarin poll)
Montana Lost 41-7 to Iowa on the road (ranked #39 in Sagarin poll)
App. St. Lost 23-10 to NC State on the road (ranked #72 in Sagarin poll)

Strength of Schedule
UMass: 139
Montana: 143
App. St: 161

Quality Wins
UMass has beaten one top 10 team and 3 top 25 teams (including the top 10 team)
Montana has beat zero top 10 teams and 4 top 25 teams
App. State has beaten one top 10 team, which is their only top 25 win

Margin Victory:
UMass: 17.1
Montana: 10.9
app state: 20.9

Gridiron Power Index:
UMass-#1
Montana-#4
App. St-#2

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 08:15 PM
Am I missing something?

Yes, "to be the man, you gotta beat the man"

and nobody in I-AA has for 16 straight games

and BTW, we have 2 Top 25 wins, JMU and Furman

and your Sagarin rankings are wrong: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt06.htm
53 Massachusetts
71 Montana
72 ASU

Atleast get the facts right if you're gonna try and make an argument

BestOfBreed
November 18th, 2006, 08:20 PM

Wofford should be ranked in the top 25 in the final regular season poll giving App State 3 top 25 wins.

AZGrizFan
November 18th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Here are their resumes. According to these stats, it looks like UMass has had the most impressive season, yet many are prediciting them to be a #3 seed. Am I missing something?

Record:
UMass 10-1
Montana 10-1
App St. 11-1

Only Loss:

Strength of Schedule

Quality Wins

Margin Victory:

Gridiron Power Index:
UMass-#1
Montana-#4
App. St-#2

Cal Poly was #9 when we beat them, I believe, and MSU was pretty close (#11, I think). Are these CURRENT rankings, or rankings when the games were played?

Either way, it's a toss up.

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Cal Poly was #9 when we beat them, I believe, and MSU was pretty close (#11, I think). Are these CURRENT rankings, or rankings when the games were played?

Either way, it's a toss up.
Looks like UMass should be the number 1 seed if they pick seeds based on this season only.

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 08:32 PM
Looks like UMass should be the number 1 seed if they pick seeds based on this season only.

coulda fooled me the last 2 weeks

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 08:32 PM

and your Sagarin rankings are wrong: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt06.htm
53 Massachusetts
71 Montana
72 ASU

Man App St fans really are uptight today. xcoffeex

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 08:33 PM
coulda fooled me the last 2 weeks
Didnt you go to OT with weak GSU? xidiotx

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 08:34 PM
Man App St fans really are uptight today. xcoffeex

you're really one to talk dude

facts are facts, and if you are using them to make an argument, they should be right

I know damn well, that if someone was trying to use numbers to argue against your team, you would do the same, and saying otherwise is just idiotic

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 08:36 PM
you're really one to talk dude

facts are facts, and if you are using them to make an argument, they should be right

I know damn well, that if someone was trying to use numbers to argue against your team, you would do the same, and saying otherwise is just idiotic
There are two ways to correct someone... and you picked the bitter way to do so with the facts not leaning your way reguardless.

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 08:36 PM

that was a month ago, we didn't end the season almost losing to 2-9 football team

BTW, we followed up that game by drubbing a top 10 Furman team 40-7

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 08:38 PM
There are two ways to correct someone... and you picked the bitter way to do so with the facts not leaning your way reguardless.

not really, cause the FACT is, we will be the #1 seed, and until somebody does something about it, we are #1

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 08:39 PM
that was a month ago, we didn't end the season almost losing to 2-9 football team

BTW, we followed up that game by drubbing a top 10 Furman team 40-7
Take a look at the losses by that 2-9 football team.

UNH by 4
Delaware by 4
Towson by 3
URI by 7
NU by 10
Nova by 4
Maine by 11
UMass by 6

Marshall by 23

DB_Atlantic10
November 18th, 2006, 08:41 PM

53 Massachusetts
71 Montana
72 ASU

It would appear that the Sagarin ratings were based on the teams they lost to.....vice their own...

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 08:41 PM
not really, cause the FACT is, we will be the #1 seed, and until somebody does something about it, we are #1
Give me one reason why App should be number 1? The stats do not lean toward that.

Sam Adams
November 18th, 2006, 08:45 PM
UMASS was never in danger of losing to Hofstra and should be the #1 seed. But all the top teams have a good argument. Appy should have to come through Amherst in December if they want to get to Chatty.

Tod
November 18th, 2006, 08:47 PM
I'm just hoping for the #2, because the Griz have a horrible win/loss record on the road in the playoffs.

Need 'em in Wa-Griz!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 08:48 PM
You want facts

Appalachian struggles
14-7 win over Wofford(7-4) possible playoff team
27-20 OT win over GSU(3-8)

UMass struggles
31-21 win over Nova(5-5) two 4th qtr td's needed
7-0 win over Northeastern(4-6) weather makes this somewhat forgiveable
28-20 win over UNH(8-3)- almost gave this one up giving up 17 straight in the 2nd half
10-9 win over Maine(6-5)- won b/c of botched extra point
22-16 win over Hofstra(2-9)- no excuse for this one

The FACT is you have struggled alot less and we have pounded the teams that were supposed to be good games, JMU and Furman

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 08:50 PM
You want facts

Appalachian struggles
14-7 win over Wofford(7-4) possible playoff team
27-20 OT win over GSU(3-8)

UMass struggles
31-21 win over Nova(5-5) two 4th qtr td's needed
7-0 win over Northeastern(4-6) weather makes this somewhat forgiveable
28-20 win over UNH(8-3)- almost gave this one up giving up 17 straight in the 2nd half
10-9 win over Maine(6-5)- won b/c of botched extra point
22-16 win over Hofstra(2-9)- no excuse for this one

The FACT is you have struggled alot less and we have pounded the teams that were supposed to be good games, JMU and Furman
And our SOS is stronger then Apps therefore we should have some more closer games.

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Give me one reason why App should be number 1? The stats do not lean toward that.
The better question would be why not?

We have struggled twice, you have struggled alot more.

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 08:51 PM
And our SOS is stronger then Apps therefore we should have some more closer games.

4 close games against team at or below .500:rolleyes:

UNH and Towson are the best teams on your schedule, the rest are mediocre at best

We had JMU and Furman, tell me how yours is better?

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 08:52 PM
The better question would be why not?

We have struggled twice, you have struggled alot more.
Look at the stats again and come up with a better reason.

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 08:53 PM
4 close games against team at or below .500:rolleyes:

UNH and Towson are the best teams on your schedule, the rest are mediocre at best

We had JMU and Furman, tell me how yours is better?
I guess the SOS lies then huh?

Saint3333
November 18th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Facts:

1. ASU has TWO wins against top 10 teams
2. ASU is currently #1 in all the polls
3. ASU is second in 1-AA in attendance

Don't worry UMass won't have to play ASU until the finals if both teams are fortunate to make it.

Enjoy your #3 seed, you've had a great season.

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 08:54 PM
I guess the SOS lies then huh?

Take away our DII game and its a push

Mountaineer
November 18th, 2006, 08:55 PM
You're arguing against a black hole AppGuy. It's pointless. :D

I'm quite content and looking foward to App's #1 seed tomorrow afternoon. :thumbsup:

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Take away our DII game and its a push
You played the DII team didnt you?

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Facts:

1. ASU has TWO wins against top 10 teams
3. ASU is second in 1-AA in attendance

Don't worry UMass won't have to play ASU until the finals if both teams are fortunate to make it.

Enjoy your #3 seed, you've had a great season.
App is number 1 in the polls because of last years championship.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 08:57 PM
It's like boxing. Until someone beats the champion, they are the champion. The 2006 season isn't the only consideration. ASU deserves some respect for going 10-0 against I-AA competition, a year after winning the national title.

And let's also take the Sagrin ratings with a HUGE grain of salt. Sagrin has always had a lot of quirky stuff in his ratings. Having seen plenty of Navy (including the UMass game, which the Minutemen quite frankly blew), there is NO WAY that the Midshippmen are the 33rd best team in the country. North Carolina State has way more talent than Navy and is probably somewhat comparable to Iowa (frankly I don't know Iowa's talent that well). Remember too that the GPI has San Diego ranked near the top with an absolutely horrendous strength of schedule.

All three of these teams are among the top defensive teams in I-AA (I'm talking talent here, not silly statistics that rank San Diego and Iona at the top of I-AA). Subjectively, ASU and UMass are probably more balanced offensively than Montana, which has struggled with Josh Swogger at times.

All three do their best to schedule as strong as they can. ASU had trouble getting anyone to play them in the non conference this season, so you can't blame them for playing one D-II team (they've only played two others in my 14 years covering the Mountaineers).

You can also look at ASU's solid win over James Madison and do some comparison with teams that UMass has played. UMass and JMU were easily the top two teams in the A-10 this year and ASU's win over the Dukes is a strong plus. Too bad that the A-10 schedule makers didn't have the top two teams playing each other this season. Hopefully we will see them finally meet in the playoffs (most likely in the quarterfinals).

Basically, ASU gets the No. 1 because it is the defending champion, with everything else pretty equal. Like it or not, the committee has done this plenty of times in the past.

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 08:58 PM
You're arguing against a black hole AppGuy. It's pointless. :D

I'm quite content and looking foward to App's #1 seed tomorrow afternoon. :thumbsup:
That sounds like an answer that someone with nothing good to add says.

AppGuy04

and that DII could beat Hofstra, probably more soundly than you did

umassfan
It's like boxing. Until someone beats the champion, they are the champion.
Football is nothing like boxing. That is where you are wrong.

Sam Adams
Appy is just not as good as UMASS. Any team that is able to run the table in the A10 and their entire 1AA schedule deserves a No.1 seed. C'mon up Appy, will leave the snow on fer ya.

Hansel
November 18th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Record:
UMass 10-1
Montana 10-1
App St. 11-1

Only Loss:

Strength of Schedule

Quality Wins

Margin Victory:

Gridiron Power Index:
UMass-#1
Montana-#4
App. St-#2

Record NDSU 10-1

Only loss 10-9 to Minnesota (Bowl Bound and 36 in sagarin)

Strength of Schedule 138
Quality Wins- NDSU has beaten 3 current GPI top 25 teams plus IA Ball State
Margin of Victory 20.5
GPI #3

not that it matters :)

umassfan
and that DII could beat Hofstra, probably more soundly than you did
What makes you so sure about that? Hofstra beat Stony Brook who finished what 2nd in the NEC.

Mountaineer
There you have it.

NDSU > UMASS

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 09:00 PM

Well, I can see about 150 people among the 3 polls who think otherwise

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:00 PM
And let's also take the Sagrin ratings with a HUGE grain of salt. Sagrin has always had a lot of quirky stuff in his ratings. Having seen plenty of Navy (including the UMass game, which the Minutemen quite frankly blew), there is NO WAY that the Midshippmen are the 33rd best team in the country. North Carolina State has way more talent than Navy and is probably somewhat comparable to Iowa (frankly I don't know Iowa's talent that well). Remember too that the GPI has San Diego ranked near the top with an absolutely horrendous strength of schedule.

WOW you are sooooooo wrong on this. NC State is just TRASH!

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 09:02 PM
You should know by now that rivalry games are often closer than other games. Everyone who follows Georgia Southern will tell you that the Eagles played their best game of the year against App State.

Zangzigger

Well the GPI uses 12 polls (all equally weighted) and UMass is #1 in 7 of the polls while ASU in only 3 of them. While I don't agree with it, I can understand how someone can think ASU deserves the #1 seed. You guys won the national championship last year, I have no problem with that. My real complaint is why UMass shouldn't get the #2 seed. As a UMass fan, I don't want the Minuteman to travel all the way to Montana for the Semifinals. I'd much rather see the Grizzlies make that cross-country trip.

AppGuy04

yeah, cause you see so much of them from Vegas:rolleyes:

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Well the GPI uses 12 polls (all equally weighted) and UMass is #1 in 7 of the polls while ASU in only 3 of them. While I don't agree with it, I can understand how someone can think ASU deserves the #1 seed. You guys won the national championship last year, I have no problem with that. My real complaint is why UMass shouldn't get the #2 seed. As a UMass fan, I don't want the Minuteman to travel all the way to Montana for the Semifinals. I'd much rather see the Grizzlies make that cross-country trip.

If that is the issue, then I agree. I have has UMass at the #2 seed for awhile now.

Saint3333
November 18th, 2006, 09:03 PM

Or maybe it's because we have (again) TWO top ten wins, a top 10 offense and defense. ASU has had the bulleye on their back all year and taken everyone's best shot.

Maybe it's because the majority of the nation believes ASU is the best team in the country. ASU hasn't been there all year, actually only the last 4 weeks.

ASU WILL BE THE #1 SEED so we're wasting our time with this discussion. The good news for you is UMass may be the best team in the land which will be settled on the field, should be fun.

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:05 PM
yeah, cause you see so much of them from Vegas:rolleyes:
NC State got killed by UNC... come on can you really tell me again that NC State is better then Navy.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 09:05 PM
How many top NFL draft choices does Navy have? The answer is ZERO. NC State is badly coached. They have tons of talent, like they do every year. Ask your friend Josh if you don't believe me. He will set you straight.

Hey, UMass is a great team and I fully expect to see the Minutemen in Chattanooga, barring an upset along the way. In my mind, UMass is the No. 2 seed and it really doesn't matter if you are No. 1 or No. 2. Both teams are guaranteed three home games in the playoffs, as long as they keep winning.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 09:07 PM
NC State got killed by UNC... come on can you really tell me again that NC State is better then Navy.
I said that NC State had more TALENT than Navy. Work on those reading skills there, my friend.

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 09:08 PM

pound for pound, NC State has as many NFL prospects as any team on the East Coast

with a good coach, they would kill Navy

Saint3333
I thought UMass would be number 3 and Montana gets the 2 seed.

BTW are UMass fans really threatening ASU with snow:confused: . Have you guys every been to Boone???

umassfan
How many top NFL draft choices does Navy have? The answer is ZERO. NC State is badly coached. They have tons of talent, like they do every year. Ask your friend Josh if you don't believe me. He will set you straight.

When you start talking about NFL prospects and the NCAA football game thats when I question your knowledge about football. Example number 1... Look at what the Hofstra WR is doing in the NFL vs Bush. The college game is alot different then the NFL game. Paul Johnsons teams just dont produce NFL players. Petterson tore up I-AA but he sits the bench in the NFL. Your logic is wrong.

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:09 PM
I thought UMass would be number 3 and Montana gets the 2 seed.

BTW are UMass fans really threatening ASU with snow:confused: . Have you guys every been to Boone???

Who said anything about Snow?

umassfan
I said that NC State had more TALENT than Navy. Work on those reading skills there, my friend.
Do teams win on talent alone? Why are we even talking about talent anyway?

AppGuy04
When you start talking about NFL prospects and the NCAA football game thats when I question your knowledge about football. Example number 1... Look at what the Hofstra WR is doing in the NFL vs Bush. The college game is alot different then the NFL game. Paul Johnsons teams just dont produce NFL players. Petterson tore up I-AA but he sits the bench in the NFL. Your logic is wrong.

AP is behind 2 top draft picks that Chicago has invested a ton of money in

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Hey, UMass is a great team and I fully expect to see the Minutemen in Chattanooga, barring an upset along the way. In my mind, UMass is the No. 2 seed and it really doesn't matter if you are No. 1 or No. 2. Both teams are guaranteed three home games in the playoffs, as long as they keep winning.

I could care less if we were the 1 or 2... im pointing out by the stats alone, UMass is the clear 1 seed. If we end up the 2 seed, I could care less. If we end up 3, then that is where I have issue.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 09:11 PM
I'll match 30 years of covering college football with some kid who wasn't even a twinkle in his father's eye when I started doing this anytime. What are your talent-evaluation credentials again?

Saint3333
November 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM
Who said anything about Snow?

Sam Adams, he must have had too many:rotateh:

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:12 PM
AP is behind 2 top draft picks that Chicago has invested a ton of money in
But if he had the TALENT then he would be playing. Well thats what Mr C would say anyway.

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Sam Adams, he must have had too many:rotateh:
Must have missed the post... Ive been to Boone. It prob snows more there then Amherst.

bobbythekidd
Outside looking in.
If the rivalry games for all three were removed, what would the "resume" look like?
What I mean is I do not know enough about the conferences to make informed comments on the other teams. I do know that the App/ GSU, and App/ Furman games do not reflect the nature of the rest of the season. In the way Auburn/ Alabama, or Army/ Navy games do not reflect anything. Guys just try harder, coaches try new things, and what ever else you like happens in those games.
Remove the inter-conference rivalries, then lets see some numbers.
Before looking into it, I still say UMass will be in my living room on Dec 15th.

Maverick
UMassfan starting to sound like some USD fans with his mathematical rant about polls, rankings, GPI, etc. There is nothing in this season that indicates that UMass should be the #1 seed in the playoffs. The real argument is #2 or #3. The UM vs UMass is a fun one but what UMassfan must be fearing is his team's ability to get to Chatty by having to go on the road to a tough place in the semis. If UMass is that good and you believe in them, where is the old UMass basketball anytime, anyplace that Calipari had with his Refuse to Lose teams. Is your motto Refuse to Move?

When UMass won the championship in 98 they only played one home game because Richmond got beat in the first round.

It is like golf, play it where it lies. All the pissing and whining ain't going to matter after the bracket is announced. After that you gotta prepare, play, and win.

AppGuy04
But if he had the TALENT then he would be playing. Well thats what Mr C would say anyway.

in college yes, in the NFL no

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:14 PM
I'll match 30 years of covering college football with some kid who wasn't even a twinkle in his father's eye when I started doing this anytime. What are your talent-evaluation credentials again?
Talent alone doesnt win football games. If NC State is so talented then they wouldnt be 3-8 now would they? Come on... I would at least expect a National Writer to know better then this.

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:15 PM
in college yes, in the NFL no
So now you see my point... NCAA football is a different game then the NFL.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 09:15 PM
I could care less if we were the 1 or 2... im pointing out by the stats alone, UMass is the clear 1 seed. If we end up the 2 seed, I could care less. If we end up 3, then that is where I have issue.
That's your problem. The seeding isn't based on stats alone. The men on the selection committee are all football guys, with a wealth of experience doing this. Most of the time they get things right. There are intangibles that they take into consideration. They do their homework.

Zangzigger
November 18th, 2006, 09:16 PM
The UM vs UMass is a fun one but what UMassfan must be fearing is his team's ability to get to Chatty by having to go on the road to a tough place in the semis. If UMass is that good and you believe in them, where is the old UMass basketball anytime, anyplace that Calipari had with his Refuse to Lose teams. Is your motto Refuse to Move?

The ultimate goal is to play in Chatanooga and win that game. As a UMass fan, the best chance to achieve this goal is to have a home game in the Semi's. Is it the end of the world to be the #3 seed and play a road game, no...but of course I'd rather have them be the #2 seed and have that home game. Not only would it give us a better chance of winning but I (along with 1000's of other UMass fans) would be able to attend the game, rather than watching it on television.

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Talent alone doesnt win football games. If NC State is so talented then they wouldnt be 3-8 now would they? Come on... I would at least expect a National Writer to know better then this.

Georgia Southern has more talent than all of the teams they played except 1 or 2, that didn't help them

Talent wise, they are a top 10 team, but it doesn't always work that way

Hell Florida St has more talent in their pinky than the rest of the ACC, but they suck. It doesn't matter how talented you are, wins are not guaranteed.

Zangzigger
November 18th, 2006, 09:17 PM
Hell Florida St has more talent in their pinky than the rest of the ACC, but they suck. It doesn't matter how talented you are, wins are not guaranteed.

Exactly, just look at the New York Knicks :bang:

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Georgia Southern has more talent than all of the teams they played except 1 or 2, that didn't help them

Talent wise, they are a top 10 team, but it doesn't always work that way

You are making my point for me.

fencer24

[
Quality Wins

Margin Victory:

Gridiron Power Index:
UMass-#1
Montana-#4
App. St-#2

I found this earlier in a thread about USD and playing top 25 ranked teams. Can't verify the validity though.

App State played 4 of those plus a I-A
UMass played 3 of those plus a I-A
UNH Played 5 of those plus beat a I-A
SIU played 4 of those plus beat a I-A
Montana is playing 7 of those plus a I-A
Coastal Carolina is playing 3 of those.
Furman played 4 of those plus a I-A
McNeese State has played 4 of those plus 2 I-As.
Towson has played 5 of these teams
Portland State played 5 of those plus 3 I-A teams (beating 1 of them)

AppGuy04

that doesn't mean you can't talk about the talent a college has because like it or not, coahces are judged partly by how many guys they put in the NFL

Mr. C
Believe me, when Appalachian State and UMass meet in Chattanooga (as I really hope they do, because I want to see the best two teams playing for the title), the talent on the two respective teams will make a huge difference in how the game turns out. These are probably the fastest two teams, player-by-player, of any team in I-AA and I think that the talent of the two squads and the strengths and weaknesses would make for a great matchup. More times than not, if I have more talent than you do, I'm going to win, whether it be PeeWee football, the college game, or the NFL.

AppState
November 18th, 2006, 09:19 PM

Marcell Shipp has 2 carries for -1 yards.

umassfan
That's your problem. The seeding isn't based on stats alone. The men on the selection committee are all football guys, with a wealth of experience doing this. Most of the time they get things right. There are intangibles that they take into consideration. They do their homework.
But they do look at stats and you know it. How many guys who are on the committee have said they look at the SOS and other statistical figures.

AppGuy04
You are making my point for me.

no, you are saying there is no talent b/c they are 3-8, thats absolutely wrong

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:20 PM
Marcell Shipp has 2 carries for -1 yards.
The reason hes not playing is due to the card sucking and not having an O Line... if they had a line they wouldnt have hired E James.

youwouldno
November 18th, 2006, 09:20 PM
UMass is definitely not a "clear #1 seed." Only an extremely biased person could believe that. And I'm no App St fan either.

Aside from what seed they "deserve," which is something of a separate question from how good a team actually is, I think UMass is getting hyped a bit much. Anything can happen in the playoffs. The only team I see as being especially likely to make Chatty is App St, and even for them it won't be easy.

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:21 PM
no, you are saying there is no talent b/c they are 3-8, thats absolutely wrong
I never said that. If you read my posts they said that talent does not equal wins. NC State can have more players who will play in the NFL then Navy, but that doesnt mean they would win the game.

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 09:22 PM
I never said that. If you read my posts they said that talent does not equal wins. NC State can have more players who will play in the NFL then Navy, but that doesnt mean they would win the game.

which is why I said, with a good coach, NC State would kill Navy

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:23 PM
which is why I said, with a good coach, NC State would kill Navy
BUT NC State played App with their current coach therefore whats your point.

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 09:24 PM
But they do look at stats and you know it. How many guys who are on the committee have said they look at the SOS and other statistical figures.
They consider a lot of factors and after all of that consideration, they are going to seed Appalachian State No. 1 and UMass either No. 2 or No. 3, depending on where they put Montana. Whether you like it, or not, Appalachian State is going to be the No. 1 seed.

AlphaSigMD
November 18th, 2006, 09:25 PM
I think there are 2 important things that need to be stated here.

1. ASU will get the overall 1 seed because they deserve it.

2. Everyone on our side of the bracket is upset because not even Ohio State could win at Kidd Brewer.

I predict that ASU rolls by 137 points and at some point in time, Yosef gets to body tackle a tap dancing Pengiun.

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 09:25 PM

them playign App has nothing to do with comparing them to Navy

we were talking about talent on Nc State vs Navy, not NC State vs I-AA

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I think there are 2 important things that need to be stated here.

1. ASU will get the overall 1 seed because they deserve it.

2. Everyone on our side of the bracket is upset because not even Ohio State could win at Kidd Brewer.

I predict that ASU rolls by 137 points and at some point in time, Yosef gets to body tackle a tap dancing Pengiun.
xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:27 PM
them playign App has nothing to do with comparing them to Navy

we were talking about talent on Nc State vs Navy, not NC State vs I-AA
So NC State should change their coach just to play Navy and prove your point? xidiotx

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 09:28 PM
xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Mr. C
November 18th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Even when you play with a bad coach, a team with talent is going to occasionally put that talent together and beat, or challenge a team that is better coached (Georgia Southern's games with ASU and Furman being two cases in point). I know that UMass was ticked that it lost a very winable game at Navy and I guarantee you that ASU was upset that it lost a game it had a chance to win at North Carolina State.

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 09:29 PM
So NC State should change their coach just to play Navy and prove your point? xidiotx

no, they should change their coach b/c he sucks

there is no point to prove, all of this is purely a matter of opinion

Maverick
November 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM
UMassfan has returned to his U assfan operational mode. A man who sees the vast conspiracy against UMass and is willing to argue anything and everything to prove it. With some of the most recent performances of UMass near the end of the season, there have more questions arising than answers provided. I also wonder how UMass can get screwed in this deal with its own AD on the selection committee? U assfan, too busy to research, or take time to really go beyond his own little myopic world. You will be a great source of amusement in the coming weeks.

BigApp
November 18th, 2006, 09:31 PM

Yep. Because you wouldn't. xcoffeex

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:33 PM
UMassfan has returned to his U assfan operational mode. A man who sees the vast conspiracy against UMass and is willing to argue anything and everything to prove it. With some of the most recent performances of UMass near the end of the season, there have more questions arising than answers provided. I also wonder how UMass can get screwed in this deal with its own AD on the selection committee? U assfan, too busy to research, or take time to really go beyond his own little myopic world. You will be a great source of amusement in the coming weeks.
Ive returned to that because I am argueing my opinion? hmmm interesting :bang:

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:34 PM
Yep. Because you wouldn't. xcoffeex
Because we wouldnt play the DII team you did? xidiotx

Zangzigger
November 18th, 2006, 09:35 PM
All ASU fans and UMass fans--please answer this question:

Have you seen the other team play at all this year?

Honestly, I have not seen ASU play one second this year. I am going by scores and word-of-mouth. Likewise, I doubt ASU fans has seen UMass play this year. We will see who has the best team during the next few weeks. It should be fun.

AmsterBison
November 18th, 2006, 09:35 PM
Hey, at least you guys get to see who's really the best ON THE FIELD.

None of you are going to win this argument this week :)

AlphaSigMD
November 18th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the assist appguy...i didn't realize i needed to include a disclaimer for the UMass fans.

My roomate is a UMass alum and usually gets sarcasm.

jmuroller
November 18th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Let's end this pissing match right now...I think the #1 seed should go to...................
USD!!!!

GO TORROES!!!!!

Seriously, they are 10-0 and they just beat the California School for the Death and Blind by 60 pts.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN THE PLAYOFFS...(unless of course you play JMU)

Zoo
November 18th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Pretty good comparison. :D

grizwin
November 18th, 2006, 09:38 PM
With things fairly close between the 3 will the committee just look at the $$$ and size of stadium. ALSO with things being this close would they prefer to have a team in east or south as top seed while the other top seed coming from the west?? Just asking. It Feels Like #1 APpy st #2 GRIZZZZZZ. I want the GRIZ in top 2 and think it will end up that way. I would even more love to see Grizzz get #1 as that semi is a night game but thats wishful thinking. Looking for a 2 seed and hopefully a 1st rd 5:30 pm mdt game under theeeeeeee lights. What do ya think?

Tod
November 18th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Let's end this pissing match right now...I think the #1 seed should go to...................
USD!!!!

GO TORROES!!!!!

Seriously, they are 10-0 and they just beat the California School for the Death and Blind by 60 pts.

Deaf?

Hey, don't worry. None of the people who go to that school have the ability to be aware of your remarks.

:p :p

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 09:39 PM
With things fairly close between the 3 will the committee just look at the $$$ and size of stadium. ALSO with things being this close would they prefer to have a team in east or south as top seed while the other top seed coming from the west?? Just asking. It Feels Like #1 APpy st #2 GRIZZZZZZ. I want the GRIZ in top 2 and think it will end up that way. I would even more love to see Grizzz get #1 as that semi is a night game but thats wishful thinking. Looking for a 2 seed and hopefully a 1st rd 5:30 pm mdt game under theeeeeeee lights. What do ya think?

Money is not used in determining the top 4 seeds

AppState
November 18th, 2006, 09:40 PM
Umass is good enough that you shouldn't have to be concerned about where you play or who you play. Have a cold beer and celebrate your future national championship.

You rock.

BigApp
November 18th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Because we wouldnt play the DII team you did? xidiotx

Umm..no. Because you wouldn't play us. : smh : Follow along UMF, but not too closely.

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the assist appguy...i didn't realize i needed to include a disclaimer for the UMass fans.

My roomate is a UMass alum and usually gets sarcasm.
I knew you were being sarcastic... I was also with my face. I guess Appguy didnt understand it though.

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Umm..no. Because you wouldn't play us. : smh : Follow along UMF, but not too closely.
Sorry our schedule is full for the next 4+ years. We dont have issues getting games.

BigApp
November 18th, 2006, 09:43 PM
right.

AppState
November 18th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Sorry our schedule is full for the next 4+ years. We dont have issues getting games.

Just dates (from what I hear).

Saint3333
November 18th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Could you post those schedules...

I guess teams don't mind scheduling a program that has a good team once every 5 years, I'd like those odds too.

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 10:07 PM
Could you post those schedules...

I guess teams don't mind scheduling a program that has a good team once every 5 years, I'd like those odds too.

We start a series now with Holy Cross... Have 1 I-A game and I forget the third game we play.

jmuroller
November 18th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Since UMass doesn't have ASU on their schedule then obviously they are scared to play them? I don't see how that works? If that is the case then UMass is scared to play another 200+ teams in the nation.

Saint3333
November 18th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Since UMass doesn't have ASU on their schedule then obviously they are scared to play them? I don't see how that works? If that is the case then UMass is scared to play another 200+ teams in the nation.

No one said UMass is scared to play ASU, I implied that other teams really aren't scared to play UMass...

Goingfortwo
November 18th, 2006, 10:12 PM
UMASS was never in danger of losing to Hofstra and should be the #1 seed. But all the top teams have a good argument. Appy should have to come through Amherst in December if they want to get to Chatty.

Did I miss something? Is UMASS the defending champs? App doesn't have to go to anyone's house to get back to Nooga. We should be at home to beat Coastal, JMU again and then finally have a tough game against YSU or whoever.

AppState
November 18th, 2006, 10:13 PM
obviously they are scared to play them?

I don't believe anyone has made that claim.

edit: but they are ducking Wellesley and Smith

FlyYtown
November 18th, 2006, 10:31 PM
The past 2 weeks Maine and Hofstra have shown that even the mediocre can give UMASS Trouble... Now we can see if they can stand up to the pressure---- I DON'T THINK SO.

Appy St. is the FAV to win it all... I will say Youngstown St. is #2 because of their # of Top 25 wins and wins against Illinois State and Southern Illinois; who I think are as tough as anyone...... They also are the OUTRIGHT Gateway Conf. champs------

I hate how people forget the 9-2 team!!! Damn we aren't that bad either!

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 10:36 PM
The past 2 weeks Maine and Hofstra have shown that even the mediocre can give UMASS Trouble... Now we can see if they can stand up to the pressure---- I DON'T THINK SO.

Appy St. is the FAV to win it all... I will say Youngstown St. is #2 because of their # of Top 25 wins and wins against Illinois State and Southern Illinois; who I think are as tough as anyone...... They also are the OUTRIGHT Gateway Conf. champs------

I hate how people forget the 9-2 team!!! Damn we aren't that bad either!
Come on... dont even start with this garbage.

BigSkyGrizGano
November 18th, 2006, 10:38 PM
The one thing you bickerers seem to be forgetting is that the on field achievements are considered alongside other things, such as attendance and game day atmosphere. That is were Montana beats both of you. That being said, the Griz are very good this year and deserve a number two seed right after Appalaichan St. UMASS, you guys are definitely very good but because we never saw you play JM, we don't know exactly how good you are. The Griz have shown some true resiliency in beating both Cal Poly and Montana St. App St. #1 Griz #2 UMass #3

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 10:40 PM
The one thing you bickerers seem to be forgetting is that the on field achievements are considered alongside other things, such as attendance and game day atmosphere. That is were Montana beats both of you. That being said, the Griz are very good this year and deserve a number two seed right after Appalaichan St. UMASS, you guys are definitely very good but because we never saw you play JM, we don't know exactly how good you are. The Griz have shown some true resiliency in beating both Cal Poly and Montana St. App St. #1 Griz #2 UMass #3
We beat Maine and UNH which is better then any Montana victories

BigSkyGrizGano
November 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Montana St. is Undoubtedly better than Maine. Fact is, we were #2 in the Sportsnetwork poll and after todays win will not drop. Couple that with the biggest attendance in 1-AA and you have yourself a #2 seed.:nod:

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Montana St. is Undoubtedly better than Maine. Fact is, we were #2 in the Sportsnetwork poll and after todays win will not drop. Couple that with the biggest attendance in 1-AA and you have yourself a #2 seed.:nod:
We were number 1 in 7 polls used by the GPI. Also attendance means nothing in seeds for the 1000000000000 time

BigSkyGrizGano
November 18th, 2006, 10:54 PM
We were number 1 in 7 polls used by the GPI. Also attendance means nothing in seeds for the 1000000000000 time
Yeah right it doesn'txlolx , if there is a complete toss-up bteween UMass and Montana, do seriously think the NCAA, who only keeps the bowl system because of the enormous profit, would sacrifice lets say $100,000 dollars. Think about, money is a significant, although not always fair, factor in the selection.

FlyYtown
November 18th, 2006, 11:00 PM
UMassFan.. Those are your opinions....
I have seen over half your game's and won't lie; half of them bore me to death. Your offense seems so slow for me and its a defensive game each and every week.

Put that up against an explosive offense of YSU---it be a good game..... but NOONE and I MEAN NOONE Has stopped Mason or Gibson this year..

YSU GOIN FOR #5!

AppState
November 18th, 2006, 11:02 PM
Should be a fun month! Good luck too all.

umassfan
November 18th, 2006, 11:13 PM
UMassFan.. Those are your opinions....
I have seen over half your game's and won't lie; half of them bore me to death. Your offense seems so slow for me and its a defensive game each and every week.

Put that up against an explosive offense of YSU---it be a good game..... but NOONE and I MEAN NOONE Has stopped Mason or Gibson this year..

YSU GOIN FOR #5!
I seem to remember Maine holding them to a much lower average then their norm. Combined they averaged 3.75 yards per carry.

FlyYtown
November 18th, 2006, 11:14 PM
I seem to remember Maine holding them to a much lower average then their norm. Combined they averaged 3.75 yards per carry.
Wow congrats.. They held us to 141 on the ground and 178 through the air---but guess what: We still scored 34 POINTS on them!!!!!

GATEWAY CHAMPS---OUTRIGHT!

SeattleGriz
November 19th, 2006, 12:27 AM
USD!!!!

GO TORROES!!!!!

Easy JMU roller. When I was in high school, we lost to the Montana School for the Deaf and Blind (MSDB) twice in basketball. They are tougher than you think.

You know I am just teasing you, but we really did lose to MSDB twice that year.

Tailbone
November 19th, 2006, 01:27 AM

South Dakota State, Cal-Poly, Portland State, Montana State - None are as good as UNH or Maine?
UAss, you are clueless. Hell, NAU is probably better than your benchmark wins. Umass is as over-hyped as UCD.

umassfan
November 19th, 2006, 01:50 AM
South Dakota State, Cal-Poly, Portland State, Montana State - None are as good as UNH or Maine?
UAss, you are clueless. Hell, NAU is probably better than your benchmark wins. Umass is as over-hyped as UCD.
Are you drunk? Did you have a few too many beers at the pregame? Or are you smoking something good? xcoffeex

youwouldno
November 19th, 2006, 01:55 AM
UMass is good, I think better than Montana, but they haven't won any postseason games yet. Neither has anyone else of course. I think we should be excited the playoffs are near and talk about the matchups when they are unveiled... not talk smack in the real discussion forum.

DuckDuckGriz
November 19th, 2006, 04:22 AM
Did anyone notice a that umASS fan wasn't really around when the Minutemen were doing nothing? ........

I guess some people never change. :rolleyes:

Sam Adams
November 19th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Funny thread, after awhile you clowns sound like 9 yr old girls arguing about who's going to go first in hopscotch. nc state is 3-8. 3-8 = sucking no matter how much talent you think you have. By comparison, Navy is 8-3 and I would hazard a guess that the average Navy Football player is about 2 times smarter than the average NC State football player. This intellectual superiority helps Navy to execute their unconventional offense with military precision which in turn causes a lot of problems - especially for undisciplined poorly coached teams such as NC State. Prediction: NAVY would Keel haul NC State.:nod: :nod: :nod:

ChickenMan
November 19th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I thought that UMass was the top team in I-AA a month ago... but I don't think that UMass 'O' is playing nearly as well right now as they were back in Oct. The Minutemen's offense has been very average over the past four games and they will need to step it up ASAP... or they won't make it past the 2d round.

Longhorn
November 19th, 2006, 10:34 AM
we have pounded the teams that were supposed to be good games, JMU and Furman

:nono: You may have "pounded" Furman...but you can't put JMU in that category. Looking forward to a rematch.

umassfan
November 19th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Did anyone notice a that umASS fan wasn't really around when the Minutemen were doing nothing? ........

I guess some people never change. :rolleyes:
Are you kidding me? When have I not been here since this board has been around. The only time im not here is when i get banned. :D

FCS_pwns_FBS
November 19th, 2006, 10:59 AM
You should know by now that rivalry games are often closer than other games. Everyone who follows Georgia Southern will tell you that the Eagles played their best game of the year against App State.

Even better than the game where we beat CCU...

App State is #1...end of story. Now let's see if anyone can end their home winning streak or if they will be in Chatty again.

The same argument you can make with Hofstra, you can with GSU. We beat CCU, almost beat Furman and App State, and if we weren't on our second string North Dakota State would not have won by three touchdowns.

AZGrizFan
November 19th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Tailbone, umassfan thinks EVERY team west of the Appalaichan Mountains is over rated, and every team EAST of them is underrated....I would have loved to see UMass play any one of the four teams you mentioned above. It would shut a lot of mouths. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 11:05 AM
After seeing the Gateway and A-10 this year; I would say ILSU-SIU-YSU would all have a good chance at beating UMASS. Now I know they have a good defense, but the offenses and running backs of the Gateway are the best in I-AA, as well as some of their quarterbacks..

UMASS's offense is really slow and not that exciting, it can easily be stopped after seeing it 5 times this year.

umassfan
November 19th, 2006, 11:09 AM
After seeing the Gateway and A-10 this year; I would say ILSU-SIU-YSU would all have a good chance at beating UMASS. Now I know they have a good defense, but the offenses and running backs of the Gateway are the best in I-AA, as well as some of their quarterbacks..

UMASS's offense is really slow and not that exciting, it can easily be stopped after seeing it 5 times this year.
So how do you easily stop our offense?

umassfan
November 19th, 2006, 11:12 AM

Offense is only soooo good in the gateway because they play no defense. end of story

umassfan
November 19th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Tailbone, umassfan thinks EVERY team west of the Appalaichan Mountains is over rated, and every team EAST of them is underrated....I would have loved to see UMass play any one of the four teams you mentioned above. It would shut a lot of mouths. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
It would when we beat them all. :hurray:

FlyYtown
November 19th, 2006, 11:14 AM
So how do you easily stop our offense?
You do what Maine did to you guys... Hell we picked apart the Maine Defense when we needed it; you guys put 10 on the board vs. them.

Now I am not one of those people who compare to scores like many do:::: but your excuse is it was Maine's first game against us... Whatever...Ever think that YSU may be better????

YSU: 34
Maine: 14

UMASS: 10
Maine: 9

Each at our home fields too, I am telling you umassfan, we don't agree on much, but I do think you guys will be out if you play a Gateway team.

No_Skill
November 19th, 2006, 11:25 AM

You mean you WERE #1 in 7 polls. This week will be different.

Tailbone
November 19th, 2006, 11:40 AM
I'd give more credibility to Jim Donnan, who on ESPN NEWS RADIO college gamenight, said he watched the Cat/Griz game. Donnan said he has watched a lot of IAA games this year, and if there is a team better than Montana or Appalachian State, he hasn't seen it.

For those who don't know who Jim Donnan is:

Jim Donnan was a college football coach and is now an on-air television analyst for college football games.

A Burlington, North Carolina native and graduate of North Carolina State University, Donnan was head football coach at Marshall University, where he led the Thundering Herd to a 64-21 record from 1990 to 1995, including five consecutive 11-plus win seasons and the 1992 NCAA Division I-AA national football championship. He was named the Division I-AA Coach of the Year twice.

Donnan was then the head football coach at the University of Georgia from 1996 to 2000. He compiled a 40-19 record during his tenure. He was the first football coach in school history to lead Bulldog teams to four consecutive Bowl victories. Under Donnan, the Bulldogs won the Outback Bowl in 1997, the Peach Bowl in 1998, the Outback Bowl in 1999, and the Oahu Bowl in 2000.

Of course, the esteemed opinion of UMass fan is equally erudite. :rolleyes:

Attribution: thanks to those on eGriz who originaly posted these remarks.