PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Bracket & Leh/Laf Laments

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Congratulations Lafayette. Your date with crapsville will have to wait another week at least.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

PS. Take note: My playoff bracket is also on my blog after the Lehigh/Lafayette comments.

LeopardFan04
November 18th, 2006, 10:02 PM
Good writeup...good game...I thought you guys were going to really turn the tide when you stormed back...you are correct about 3rd downs, and I believe that one 4th down...all those passes to Adair...I was right in front of Quarterman's family and got to go nuts with them on the interception...I'll probably post more on the game tomorrow, as I'm exhausted and my throat is raw...but I am happy...

BTW, did you sit in the pressbox? And if not where did you watch from?

Lehigh Football Nation
November 18th, 2006, 10:15 PM
Good writeup...good game...I thought you guys were going to really turn the tide when you stormed back...you are correct about 3rd downs, and I believe that one 4th down...all those passes to Adair...I was right in front of Quarterman's family and got to go nuts with them on the interception...I'll probably post more on the game tomorrow, as I'm exhausted and my throat is raw...but I am happy...

BTW, did you sit in the pressbox? And if not where did you watch from?

I did. I was also on the field a lot. It's really something to watch the game on the field, with all the raw emotions everywhere.

LeopardFan04
November 18th, 2006, 10:21 PM
I did. I was also on the field a lot. It's really something to watch the game on the field, with all the raw emotions everywhere.

I bet...I just caught some of the replay on wfmz (wish I'd known, I'd have taped the replay...) and I started yelling at the tv again...

carney2
November 19th, 2006, 08:15 AM
I always enjoy your stuff, LFN, but never more than after THE Game. I will begin my quest for an appropriate moniker as I digest my second delicious bird later this week. I note in today's Allentown sports section that even the Easton-Philipsburg game has a catch phrase - The Border War. If we can't do better than a couple of high schools - and better than (choke, gasp) "The Rivalry," then we should gather en masse, hold an alcohol fueled rally, and then burn the English Departments at both schools. Keep up the good work.

65 Pard
November 19th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Great Photos and video of the 142nd Battle in the Valley on LC Sports website http://goleopards.cstv.com/

Pards surprised last two years with level of play in Playoffs...Can they do it again????

carney2
November 19th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Pards surprised last two years with level of play in Playoffs...Can they do it again????

I was on record earlier in the year as saying that if Lafayette can't beat the likes of Penn and Princeton, it would be very difficult getting excited about them in the playoffs. But, the early votes address your question as follows:

The Lafayette players and coaches are looking to win, not merely play a "good game" as in the last two years. Of course, what else would you expect them to say?

Andy Coen, the Lehigh coach, predicts that they will be a force next week.

The Lehigh TV crew says that whoever plays them will have their hands full. The other team will not have seen them, and may only see that 6-5 record. This is a game that a seeded team could very easily take for granted.

Finally, this is not the same team that played the Ivys back in September and early October. They came of age against Colgate in week 8.

In short, I don't know what to expect, but at least it's not the "done deal" that I saw shaping up back when the leaves were still on the trees.

Lehigh Football Nation
November 19th, 2006, 09:49 AM
We will find out. Almost everyone (myself included) is projecting Lafayette to play at UMass next Saturday, which would pose an interesting matchup. Not to rain on anyones parade, but... which Lafayette team will show up? The one we saw yesterday would beat a lot of teams, but the one that showed up against Yale could lose to anybody.

Come what may, I will be very eager to watch the Lafayette at ?? game next weekend, and for a week I'll be rooting for Lafayette to be sure.

letsgopards04
November 19th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Good write up LFN. After HC the leopard season was going nowhere fast. LeopardFan04 and I were discussing how defense and offense weren't showing up at the same time. However the Colgate game seemed to get everybody moving on the same page.

Last week someone mentioned that the one thing Tavani did better than Lembo was stress the importance of this game. Being at Lafayette for so long he knew that once they got back to equal talent level with Lehigh he could motivate. I think that eventhough it was at Fisher Field (the lights were incredible) the boys in black had so much more energy than the Hawks. The game reminded me of a faster paced version 2 years ago when the Lafayette began to impose their will on Lehigh. After it was 28-27, they said no and began play some great football.

Eventhough it would be a difficult game I would like to Lafayette play UMASS because I am going to be at my folks in Albany and Amherst is only 90 min away I may try to make a trip and get some tix.

Tribe4SF
November 19th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Finally, this is not the same team that played the Ivys back in September and early October. They came of age against Colgate in week 8.

In short, I don't know what to expect, but at least it's not the "done deal" that I saw shaping up back when the leaves were still on the trees.

Came of age against Colgate? The same Colgate that finished 4-7 and lost to Bucknell yesterday?

Any way you cut it, the Pards are 6-5 with no quality wins. A strong performance this year will be more surprising than last. If they draw UMass, Maurer will need to be at least as efficient as he was yesterday for the Pards to stay in the game. UMass run D is very good.

carney2
November 19th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Last week someone mentioned that the one thing Tavani did better than Lembo was stress the importance of this game. Being at Lafayette for so long he knew that once they got back to equal talent level with Lehigh he could motivate.

According to this morning's newspaper, Tavani did not have to use many of his over the top motivational techniques this year. He just let the kids from Lehigh stick their foots in their collective mouths and keep chomping. Early in the week Lehigh QB, Sedale Threatt was interviewed on local TV where he made a lot of noise about going into "their house" and showing them who's the boss. Frank got hold of that tape and showed it to the entire team before the game. Then, under the heading "Who took their SATs for them?" the entire Lehigh team apparently gathered on the Lafayette midfield logo during warmups, jumped up and down and chanted "Our house. Our house." The rest, as they say, is history.

I know that Andy Coen is new at this, but he certainly lost the battle of wits leading up to THE Game. A lesson learned is a lesson learned: you need to control emotion and mouths leading into a big game. Bulletin board material kills.

carney2
November 19th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Came of age against Colgate? The same Colgate that finished 4-7 and lost to Bucknell yesterday?

Any way you cut it, the Pards are 6-5 with no quality wins. A strong performance this year will be more surprising than last. If they draw UMass, Maurer will need to be at least as efficient as he was yesterday for the Pards to stay in the game. UMass run D is very good.

You'll get no argument here. Decided underdogs, and deservedly so. The point of my commentary was that since that day at Colgate, whom they hadn't beaten seemingly since the Van Buren administration, some of the missing pieces have fallen into place and they are playing noticeably better. As for "no quality wins," it may have just been an oversight on your part, but you left out the word "yet."

cosmo here
November 19th, 2006, 10:39 AM
You'll get no argument here. Decided underdogs, and deservedly so. The point of my commentary was that since that day at Colgate, whom they hadn't beaten seemingly since the Van Buren administration, some of the missing pieces have fallen into place and they are playing noticeably better.

carney, you're quite the historian. Van Buren administration . . Pelopennesian War . . if you pull out the War of the Roses and the Magna Carta, we're all in trouble.

Pard4Life
November 19th, 2006, 10:58 AM
Ah, so that's what they were doing before the game... I saw Lehigh jumping up and down chanting.. but just off to the right of the logo. Couldn't make out what they were saying, but all I know is Lafayette was watching them very intently.

As for playoffs... heck, just happy to be there. Tavani will have us ready to play. Like our shirts said yesterday..

"Won't lose"
"Can't lose"

YoUDeeMan
November 19th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Then, under the heading "Who took their SATs for them?" the entire Lehigh team apparently gathered on the Lafayette midfield logo during warmups, jumped up and down and chanted "Our house. Our house." The rest, as they say, is history.

I did not hear about the logo stomping incident. No class.

I'm shocked that the Lehigh players would drop to that level. Does any player actually think stomping on another team's logo is a good idea? It is far from orignial, completely disrespectful, and it can do nothing but fire up the opposing team.

When will coaches start letting their players know that they will be suspended for pulling that garbage?

Knowing that info, I am glad Lehigh lost. :nono:

ngineer
November 19th, 2006, 01:40 PM
I did not hear about the logo stomping incident. No class.

I'm shocked that the Lehigh players would drop to that level. Does any player actually think stomping on another team's logo is a good idea? It is far from orignial, completely disrespectful, and it can do nothing but fire up the opposing team.

When will coaches start letting their players know that they will be suspended for pulling that garbage?

Knowing that info, I am glad Lehigh lost. :nono:

I was at the game. The Lehigh players were NEVER stomping on the "L" logo at midfield. Yes they huddled up around the 40 yard line before breaking out into warmups, but no stomping. Whether or what they were chanting is up for different interpretations, and knowing Tavani, I wouldn't be surprised if this was something he concocted to gin-up his team. IF, the LU players did chant some derogatory stuff pre-game, then I agree they should be chastized. No place for that in the game.

ngineer
November 19th, 2006, 03:12 PM
A couple observations on LC's renovated stadium. Tremendous upgrade. Hardly recognized the place. The 'facilities' were good--although the restrooms in the lower 'bowels' should have a separate exit. Tough for a crush of people to exit/enter through one small door. But, still, so much better than the ol' portapotties.
Seats were a great improvement, as well as the concession stands. The field looked great--looks like the same turf used by Bucknell.
The scoreboard/video board was excellent and easy to read. Really enjoyed some of the clever stuff--especially the "Kick it Here" arrow!
However, the only demerit I give is not so much the 'stadium' but the obnoxious sound system. Needs to be toned down. The 'hip hop' and 'pop' stuff that was blasted incessantly is not needed, and IMO detracts from what I always associated with the atmosphere of college football, and what you now have in a very enjoyable atmosphere (btw, this was shared with me by numerous Leopard fans as well). It also comes close to crossing the line with artificial noise making that can interfere with an opposing team hearing its signals, since I noticed it was not used when Lafayette had the ball.
So, all and all, Fisher is now a beautiful facility and something to be proud of. Just see if they can 'tone it down';)

Lafalumni29
November 19th, 2006, 05:15 PM
A couple observations on LC's renovated stadium. Tremendous upgrade. Hardly recognized the place. The 'facilities' were good--although the restrooms in the lower 'bowels' should have a separate exit. Tough for a crush of people to exit/enter through one small door. But, still, so much better than the ol' portapotties.
Seats were a great improvement, as well as the concession stands. The field looked great--looks like the same turf used by Bucknell.
The scoreboard/video board was excellent and easy to read. Really enjoyed some of the clever stuff--especially the "Kick it Here" arrow!
However, the only demerit I give is not so much the 'stadium' but the obnoxious sound system. Needs to be toned down. The 'hip hop' and 'pop' stuff that was blasted incessantly is not needed, and IMO detracts from what I always associated with the atmosphere of college football, and what you now have in a very enjoyable atmosphere (btw, this was shared with me by numerous Leopard fans as well). It also comes close to crossing the line with artificial noise making that can interfere with an opposing team hearing its signals, since I noticed it was not used when Lafayette had the ball.
So, all and all, Fisher is now a beautiful facility and something to be proud of. Just see if they can 'tone it down';)
That's interesting. Everyone around us loved the sound system and the music. Dancing and cheering between plays. Made for the best atmosphere I've ever seen at Fisher. It was a bit loud at times but made it fun nonetheless.
How 'bout that part at the VIP box??!! Phew!! This program gets better and better by the minute

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Hey Pard4Life, now you gotta post that pic from the Express-Times last year!

Pards Rule
November 19th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Ngineer, agree the volume of that rap crap needs to be turned down. It was REALLY loud prior to the Penn & Yale games when the stadium wasnt nearly as full and annoying as hell!

carney2
November 19th, 2006, 06:07 PM
That's interesting. Everyone around us loved the sound system and the music. Dancing and cheering between plays. Made for the best atmosphere I've ever seen at Fisher. It was a bit loud at times but made it fun nonetheless.
How 'bout that part at the VIP box??!! Phew!! This program gets better and better by the minute

But, did you like the rap crap? That garbage has got to go.

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Hey Pard4Life, now you gotta post that pic from the Express-Times last year!

I know! It's at home but I need to find a way to shrink the size so it can be posted. It's a picture of Lehigh lineman Toth with his hand in his palms, sitting on the bench.. while three Lehigh cheerleaders try to console him. The look on one is priceless... she is staring into space with a blank look on her face, like she just witnessed Verdun or Stalingard or something awful..

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM
But, did you like the rap crap? That garbage has got to go.

The rap is crap... WAY too loud...

but heck... when you have old people and mid-lifers gyrating to House of Pain's Jump Around.. somethng good must be happening... :rolleyes:

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 10:49 AM
That House of Pain was perfectly timed! I knew it was over right then! But that ain't the rap crap (wow - should I trademark that?) I'm talking about.

Pards Rule
November 20th, 2006, 10:50 AM
I know! It's at home but I need to find a way to shrink the size so it can be posted. It's a picture of Lehigh lineman Toth with his hand in his palms, sitting on the bench.. while three Lehigh cheerleaders try to console him. The look on one is priceless... she is staring into space with a blank look on her face, like she just witnessed Verdun or Stalingard or something awful..

Should this pic be known as "The Hurt"??

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM
That House of Pain was perfectly timed! I knew it was over right then! But that ain't the rap crap (wow - should I trademark that?) I'm talking about.

Too late... Rap is Crap is a bumper sticker :D

Pard4Life
November 20th, 2006, 11:11 AM
Should this pic be known as "The Hurt"??

...sure looks like it... xlolx

ngineer
November 20th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Ngineer, agree the volume of that rap crap needs to be turned down. It was REALLY loud prior to the Penn & Yale games when the stadium wasnt nearly as full and annoying as hell!

Maybe I'm too much a traditionalist, but I used to like some of the creative chants the students would sometimes come up with (not Lehigh or Lafayette Sucks), plus the bands in the stands. To me the noise created by the sound systems in these arenas is 'artificial' as if we need help to create an exciting atmosphere. There were times the people around us had trouble talking to each other. To each their own, but aint my cup of tea.