PDA

View Full Version : Why not Liberty?

bjtheflamesfan
November 18th, 2006, 04:07 PM
I thought Id post a thread here after LU finished off a winning first season under new coach Danny Rocco with a 38-32 win over VMI.

From 1-10 to 6-5...not a bad turnaround eh?

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Nice turn around, but Why not Liberty for what?

BigApp
November 18th, 2006, 04:19 PM
why not what?

BigApp
November 18th, 2006, 04:19 PM
sorry, didn't see that '04 had posted the same thing...

bjtheflamesfan
November 18th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Why not Liberty...

2007 Big South Champions and playoff bound!

You saw it here first folks

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Wow, 6-5 in a bad conference and you call playoffs next year? Thats bold!

bjtheflamesfan
November 18th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Remember 4 of the 5 losses were by a combined 13 points (with Wake of course being the one exception) and most of this team is coming back next year

AppGuy04
November 18th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Remember 4 of the 5 losses were by a combined 13 points (with Wake of course being the one exception) and most of this team is coming back next year

UNI was in the National Championship game and this year they are probably out, whats your point?

As you have seen, in that conference you better go atleast 9-2 or you're done as far as the playoffs go

bjtheflamesfan
November 18th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Of course. But I think that with most of the pieces from this year coming back I think this team could really do some special things next year, especially with the other teams losing their own major players to graduation

SuperJon
November 18th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Playoffs next year is just dumb. We don't have the schedule.

To answer your question about "Why not Liberty?" - it comes from a statement that Katie Feenstra made a few years ago. Feenstra was on the women's basketball team and was recruited by a lot of bigger schools. She's not playing for San Antonio in the WNBA. After a game, someone asked her why she chose to come to Liberty and she said, "Why not Liberty?" That's become kind of a banner statement for the athletic department.

6-5 is a good year. We were close to a lot better. Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades though.

Next year LU wins 7-8 games, 2008 they contend for a playoff spot. It takes time to build a program.

grizband
November 18th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Which playoff eligible team would you replace with Liberty? That is a great turnaround, but it is not good enough to make the playoffs.

Tod
November 18th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Which playoff eligible team would you replace with Liberty? That is a great turnaround, but it is not good enough to make the playoffs.

If your avatar is taken from a video, I'll give you $1,000 for a copy. ;)

SuperJon
November 18th, 2006, 07:08 PM
His avatar is a couple girls at VT a few years ago. It's on college humor.

windwalker
November 18th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Wow, 6-5 in a bad conference and you call playoffs next year? Thats bold!

opps.... now don't say BAD... say "middle of the road"...

Look at the GPI conference rating... Big South is 7th out of 15 last week I believe.

BigApp
November 18th, 2006, 09:49 PM
Playoffs next year is just dumb. We don't have the schedule.

Whom do you play next year?

Sly Fox
November 19th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Home:
Coastal
VMI
Presbyterian (1st Season as Transitional I-AA)
Glenville State (DII)
2 Other I-AAs

Away:
Charleston Southern
Gardner-Webb
Toledo (I-A)
Elon
William & Mary

The level of the schedule depends heavily on who those two other I-AAs turn out to be. We would obviously need a minimum of 9-2 or more likely 10-1 to even be in the playoff conversation. But its not as farfetched as some would imply. And yes, I am among the eternal optimists who believe those results are a legitimate possibility considering everyone we have coming back.

SuperJon
November 19th, 2006, 03:18 AM
Rumor has it Savannah St is one of the other two I-AAs.

bjtheflamesfan
November 19th, 2006, 09:21 AM
For this year I honestly would not replace any of the current playoff teams with LU simply because there are too many teams with better records. That and I knew our schedule this year was fairly soft. This team had its longest losing streak in school history last year. I was saying that with the starting QB, both RBs, both starting WRs, most of the offensive line, and at least half of the starters on defense coming back, this team could surprise a lot of people next year and very possibly make a run at the playoffs.

This ain't your father's LU football team that's for sure.

grizband
November 19th, 2006, 11:39 AM
For this year I honestly would not replace any of the current playoff teams with LU simply because there are too many teams with better records. That and I knew our schedule this year was fairly soft. This team had its longest losing streak in school history last year. I was saying that with the starting QB, both RBs, both starting WRs, most of the offensive line, and at least half of the starters on defense coming back, this team could surprise a lot of people next year and very possibly make a run at the playoffs.

This ain't your father's LU football team that's for sure.
I will agree with that, LU is making strides to be a competitive football team.

grizband
November 19th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Rumor has it Savannah St is one of the other two I-AAs.
...shhh, you'll ruin the secret.:smiley_wi

AppGuy04
November 19th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Coastal Loss
VMI Win
Presbyterian Win
Glenville State Win
2 Other I-AAs

Charleston Southern Loss
Gardner-Webb Win
Toledo (I-A) Loss
Elon Loss
William & Mary Win

Just from those, I see 3 losses already even before knowing who the other 2 I-AA's are. Thats not gonna get you in from the Big South

SuperJon
November 19th, 2006, 12:18 PM
I think you're wrong.

All four of the home games should be wins.

We should beat Elon, and should be W&M, I'll settle for a split.
The other two conference games should be wins as well.

I say we'll lose 3-4 games next year. The team has finally learned to win so I don't think we'll see 4 losses by 13 points next years.